Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    "According to insurance rates it is cheaper to insure a 2002 CRV then it is to insure a 2002 Escape. That says something or should I say many things!"

Which trim levels did they compare? An Escape XLT is more expensive (sticker price) than a CR-V EX thus leading to a higher insurance premium.

Also, I don't know that sgwilson (from post 2445 above) has the whole story. Ford is looking to cut about $70 off of the production cost of each vehicle. They have been quoted on this since April I think, so it's no secret. The newer Escapes (and other Ford vehicles) are going to lose some minor conveniences like coat hooks, glove box locks, etc., but most of these are items that the CR-V never had in the first place (I think).

News flash! Honda isn't a non-profit organization last time I checked. Most of the CR-V's goodies are only available from the dealer for a premium. Think roof rack rails or nicer wheels here.

Also, GM is doing the same exact thing. One thing they were (might still be) contemplating the deletion of was standard ABS. Cladding is another thing they are getting rid of to cut production costs. You don't hear about them doing it as much because they didn't lose close to $6 billion last year.

Here are some examples of what was standard on my Escape XLT, and are dealer installed options on the CR-V EX. These are straight from the Honda web site:

Side body cladding $429.00 from the dealer.
    Fog light kit $329.00 from the dealer.
    Trailer hitch $219.00 from the dealer.
    15" 5 spoke wheels (Escape has 16" which Honda does not offer) $219.00 (which seems like a bargain) from the dealer.
    Keyless entry $119.00 from the dealer.
    Security system $199.00 from the dealer. This one might be a little better than the Escape's standard security system though, and the same as Ford's optional system which is dealer installed as well.

This is just for the exterior. The interior includes things like the rear cargo cover, cigarette lighter/ash tray, cargo net, and leather steering wheel cover.

That's why they can delete certain things. I'm not in favor of it either, but business is business I guess.
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Keyless entry is standard on the CR-V EX.

It does seem odd that Ford would cut minor, cheap conveniences for newer cars. Usually cars are supposed to get better as the years go on. The things they are cutting don't seem like they would be big cost cutter either, just things that consumers would miss and be annoyed with.
    I thought someone posted that the key fob was standard on the EX. Honda needs to fix their web app then.

"Usually cars are supposed to get better as the years go on."

You would think, but it all depends on what the consumers tell the manufacturers via surveys and such.

Our 96 Civic has much nicer interior materials than the current Civic if you ask me. I guess people wanted the extra cost of those materials sent to another part of the car and Honda listened. However, whether or not Honda did send it elsewhere instead of pocketing it is for them to know and us to find out.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Baggs - That game can be played both ways (full-size spare, picnic table, etc.). And it seems pretty clear that Ford is cutting equipment as a result of cost-cutting measures, not surveys.
  • hondaman02hondaman02 Member Posts: 250
    The fact is baggs, the Civic is a much better car than the Focus!!!!! If the CRV is better than the Escape......to early to say but if all indication is true.....I would think so in long term sense. Function is one thing and in many ways the Escape does earn its marks but I don't think that in 5 or 7 years it will be as solid as the CRV. I know of quite a few with over 200000km's with no more than oil and gas....but no one with this much on an Escape only because it is too new. Time will tell!
    "the Civic is a much better car than the Focus!!!!! "

Then why does the Focus keep winning all the awards that all Honda fans hold so near and dear?

Are we basing "better" on recalls again?

"And it seems pretty clear that Ford is cutting equipment as a result of cost-cutting measures, not surveys."

I was referring to a possible explanation of why all the other manufacturers (who aren't in as deep as Ford right now) de-content their vehicles. Ford is definitely trying to increase profits in their case.

"That game can be played both ways (full-size spare, picnic table, etc.)."

I think you named the only two things the CR-V has that the Escape doesn't. Seriously, is there anything else? It has to be something that can be considered a dealer or factory installed option.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    I don't think the post you referred to about Escapes deletions is accurate..
    -OWL (outline white letter) tires are standard on the XLT's and an option for the XLS's

-Lumbar support is still there in 2003

(The other items are somewhat trivial and I've never used anyway, the overhead console isn't there in 2001 for my XLT Escape either).
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Honda folks were quick to point out how much better they were selling month to month vs the Escape. Looks like in Sept, the Escape sold a 1000 more vehicles..

btw: It appears that lately the Liberty has been the mini-suv sales leader.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    Read the comparison tests.

The Civic used to be a benchmark in the small car segment. Where is it now?

<<<The Verdict: Something new from Honda &#151; a loser.>>>

"Double-dip dreamboats" at:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/comparisontests/ultimate_comparos/ultimate_comparo_toc.xml

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Using makeashorterlink.com will keep our margins from going crazy. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    bess,

I think that information is referring to future models. The 2003's are considered current models at this time.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    "Honda folks were quick to point out how much better they were selling month to month vs the Escape. Looks like in Sept, the Escape sold a 1000 more vehicles.."

Check out the year-to-date column...CR-V still leads with 112,695 units vs. the Escape's 105,766 units. Both are still nowhere near the Liberty's year-to-date number, though.
    The Liberty is definately a winner in my opinion. I spent a couple of weeks with one and anyone who wants a real 4x4.....this is the one to get! BUT it is not the same idea as a CRV or Escape even though they put it in the same category. I liked it a lot better than I did the Tribute I had!
    One more time for those who missed it before.

October sales:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=13522

http://hondanews.com/forms/corp/sales/02oct.html

hondaman,

The Liberty is pretty nice. I just could not deal with the truck like ride and the fact that DC builds the thing.

Well baggs, it was not that bad but you are right........I would not want to live with that for 4 or 5 years! I would maybe like to have one for week-ends but that is kind of not logical!
    If you add up the Tribute and Escape sales you will find that combo sells more then the CRV.

Can we include the element sales with the CRV next year?
    "Well baggs, it was not that bad but you are right........I would not want to live with that for 4 or 5 years! I would maybe like to have one for week-ends but that is kind of not logical!"

No, I guess it wouldn't be.

Although, I've driven my friend's 2002 Explorer XLT V8, and my Father-in-law's 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer V6. Both were nice because of the IRS, but still felt somewhere in between the Escape and anything with a solid rear axle.

"Can we include the element sales with the CRV next year?"

Not unless they are building them on the same exact assembly line with about 80% of the same parts. Those are the rules.
    http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0211/11/a01-7354.htm

To all you Bank One customers out there, hold on to your pocket books!

You should delete and just post the link - it looks like you've pasted a large part of the article over here, and copyright lawyers frown on that sort of thing.

Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • carguydccarguydc Member Posts: 46
    Honda recalls 247,000 CR-V SUVs

Reuters / August 05, 2003

DETROIT (Reuters) -- Honda Motor Co. Ltd. will recall about 247,000 CR-V SUVs to fix a part that could keep the transmission from shifting into park, U.S. federal safety regulators said on Tuesday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the recall covers 2002 and 2003 model-year CR-Vs. It said rusting of the shift cable linkage could prevent the automatic transmission from shifting to park, which could cause the vehicles to roll.

Dealers will inspect the cable and install a rust-resistant control pin.
    freeber,
    Where did you get those from? Don't they read their previous reviews before writing a new one about the same vehicle? The CR-V review shows the Escape with 64.8 cubic ft. of cargo space, but the Escape review shows 69.2 cubic ft. among other things.
  • b5marcb5marc Member Posts: 1
    Anyone seen this:

http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/showthread.php?s=4233f65244f2a58fedfc74eb7c5367aa&threadid=4678

It's a point by point comparison picture showing an Escape and CRV side by side! They do almost look IDENTICAL! The question is did Honda look at the new Escape styling before coming up with the new CRV design? From that pic I would say ABSOLUTELY, I hadn't realized how similar the styling on the 2 were since I think the huge front lights on CRV's (overdone styling IMHO) tend to make you forget about everything else. lol :o)

Baggs - That's not really the point, though. As you yourself stated, the XLT you used for comparison is a higher priced vehicle. And while Honda doesn't include the same equipment, it offers different equipment (or features) that are missing on the Escape. The CR-V is often rated as a strong value for it's content to price ratio. The Escape is no slouch either, but, by reducing equipment and keeping the price, they cut into its ratio.

If Ford is decontenting the Escape trim lines, they are subtracting equipment to increase their profits per vehicle. That's true. Now, ask yourself why. Answer: they aren't making enough money on them. If we were to compare the two vehicles, we'd need a profit per vehicle analysis. I haven't found one. I do have averages for each company, though.

"Not surprisingly, Honda made more money per car than any other automaker, $1,661. That's nearly $400 more per car than Nissan Motor and $500 more than Toyota. GM was the only domestic producer to make money: just $337 per car. Ford Motor lost $1,913 [per vehicle]."

So, last year, Honda averaged $3,574 more per vehicle. Note, these figures are calcuated using the price that dealers pay, not the price the customer pays (so dealer markups are not a factor).

Here's the full article (mostly about manufacturing and the risks Honda is taking). Forbes

varmint,
    I'm not sure which post you are referring to. But I'll try anyway.

Even with those little things removed from the Escape (we can use the XLT vs EX again) it's still a great value. The sticker prices are only a couple of thousand dollars off of each other but yet the Escape still offers a lot of the Honda's dealer installed options as standard equipment. Don't forget about the bigger engine (a V6 is traditionally about $1000 - $1500 more than an I4 when both are offered), and more complex 4WD system that add to the Escape's price. I really can't think of anything else that the CR-V has as an extra when compared to the Escape other than the two things you mentioned (picnic table, and full-size spare).

What I'm getting at is that Ford is not doing anything that is out of the ordinary for an automobile manufacturer. I think we used the new Civic's lack of a double wishbone front suspension as an example before. It didn't get any less expensive, but a lot of it's parts did. In all fairness, some improvements were made that offset some of the downgrades.

After reading that Forbes article, it's pretty clear that Honda is doing a better job of it right now though. They had better keep on their toes. Rushing product out the door usually does not lead to quality.
    b5marc,

The CRV was released in Japan over a year before the CRV was launced in the US. So that CRV has been out in Japan in the year 2000. So I doubt Honda stole any design ideas from Ford.
  • freeberfreeber Member Posts: 116
    What I posted was less than quarter of each article. No need to run off to the attorney just yet guys.....sheesh.

Links to competing forums are frowned upon, so I snipped some interesting comments out and posted them here. Next time I'll be sure to use the footnotes and bibliography features of this site.

I think copyright lawyers would be more interested in you guys posting the article as your own than me quoting it. Then again, maybe I'm wrong.
    LOL. Yes, Baggs, you got the post I was referencing correct. I guess I'm no longer keeping up with the traffic in here.

Let me see if I can do a better job of explaining this. You want to compare content, but you only want to use those items that are considered optional (by the industry or these two makers). That doesn't work. It would only make sense if the base cars were the same. A Corvette with no radio, no A/C, and cloth seats may still be a better value than a Yugo loaded with every luxury item on the market.

I think you recognize this already. As you mentioned, the Escape has the V6, towing, and other intrinsic advantages. On the CR-V's side we have the spare tire, picnic table, cargo space, sliding seats, manual trans, etc. Many of these features are not what the industry would consider options, yet, they raise the value of the vehicle.

Value is a function of dollars to content (both intrinsic and optional). You're looking to compare greatest content at cost. Another way to view it is to compare vehicles with the lowest prices and their content.

As for the Civic, that is a case where the vehicle was completely redesigned. It was not a mid-cycle change. The Civic lost its expensive double bones, which the average buyer never needed. Instead Honda gave the buyer more space, a better engine, better crash protection, and other things they might actually need.

In this scenario, Ford is removing content without offering anything in return. The Escape doesn't get more space, a better engine, or better crash protection. And this wasn't a complete redesign. Sure, they have steep incentives to lower the price, but those were already in place before the content was removed.

Bottom line. While I agree that the changes are minor, the current Escape will be a better value than the new one.
    Freeber - thanks for the clarification. Looked like you were reciting from just one article. I thought some of it was "disjointed."

Steve, Host
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Does it really take a newpaper article for someone to decide two vehicles look similar?

Did you notice strong similarities before reading the article?

Can't we just trust our eyes?
    I wasn't about to register at another forum just to read one article. Someone want to summarize? Frankly, the dominant features on these vehicles don't look anything alike.
    The dominant features (headlights, taillights, etc) don't resemble each other. However, I do think that the overall execution, especially from the side, of the CR-V mirrors the Escape. Although the Escape's design is hardly groundbreaking to begin with.

No pic showing up here, Diploid. Looks like one of those "deep linking" problems offhand....

Steve, Host
    Maybe this is why there are cuts being made to the Escapes equipment!!!?

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/021115-2.htm

I'm not a Microsoft basher by any means, but is it just me, or does anyone else find it disturbing that the world's second largest auto manufacturer only has about half as much cash as Bill Gates?

varmint,
    Let's try to keep up now. :)

"On the CR-V's side we have the spare tire, picnic table, cargo space, sliding seats, manual trans, etc. Many of these features are not what the industry would consider options, yet, they raise the value of the vehicle."

I understand your side, but I think we went in different directions at some point again. I wouldn't include cargo space or things like shoulder room in the content arena because those are static numbers that you have to accept when you buy the vehicle. Sure the CR-V has a little more cargo space. If Ford put the Escape's spare on the back door and lowered the floor by about an inch (There goes the Escape's ground clearance and bumper bash test advantages. There's always a trade off.), you'd pretty much have a wash. The same can be done with other measurements, but the dealer can't offer things like that in the same way that they offer something like body cladding for $430.

Let me try to put it another way. Take the price of an Escape XLT Premium and the price of a CR-V EX, both 2002's. I use these trims because most of the stuff that Ford is deleting is only found on the XLT Premium anyway, so there really is no point in comparing the lower end models for this. The Escape's sticker is about $1100 more than the CR-V's, but the CR-V can be equipped, by the dealer, with a lot of the extra's that the Escape has for about $1400. This is the body cladding, trailer hitch, etc.. Now the CR-V is more expensive, but still lacking some of the creature comforts that the Escape has standard. Correct me if I'm wrong, things like coat hooks, overhead console, etc. that are being deleted from the Escape are not included with the CR-V from the factory. So cutting those little things out of the Escape really does not decrease it's value when compared to the competition because the competition makes you pay extra for a lot of those things they lack out of the box.

I do agree that the newer Escape's will have less value than the older models because of the cuts. But I don't think it will look like any less of a value against the competition.

I just want to add that I do see the added value of extra space. I just don't think that a couple of inches is going to make a big difference in everyone's book. Much the same way as 30 lbs of extra roof rack cargo capacity won't either. Most people will just want to know if the roof has a rack. Besides, in order to obtain all of the CR-V's extra leg room you have to push the back seat all the way back which lessens the available cargo space. If you are driving three women to the beach for a week's vacation (like I will be doing next year), you're gonna need all the cargo room that you can get if you know what I mean. ;)

Hopefully that makes a little more sense.
    baggs,

I have to correct one thing you said. The CRV's back seats when slid all the way back yields the cargo space that you see in all the specs. If you slide the seats all the way forward you end up with cargo space that rivals the bigger SUV's.

In additon the reslae of the CRV is bound to be greater as is the 1st gen CRV versus the Escape.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Plastered all over the paper are ads for both of these vehicles. Now, Honda folks claim the CRV is less expensive. This is an ad posted from a very large (mega) dealership. This dealership has Honda/Ford/GM/Mazda/Hyundia/Toyota/Suzuki.. you name it.

Same page ad for Fords..
    2003 Ford Escape 4x4 "Limited" 7, I repeat again.. 7! available for $23,975.. There is roughly a $30 dollar difference here in price. Yet the Escape offers heated seats, leather, sunroof, 16" styled wheels/tires, tow pkg.. V6.. and more.. How the Honda crowd can claim a less expensive price?? I don't know..
    Lets not start talking about styling.. We all know who is the clear winner here.. The Escape/Tribute.
    scape2,

So what?

I would much rather pay 30 dollars less to have a more fuel efficient, far safer, better built machine.

BTW, the EX also comes with a sunroof. The MSRP for the CRV you are talking about is $22,400. Either you read the headlijnes wrong or the delaers are throwing in some extras that you are not sharing with us or you are not aware of.
    Scape,

Oh yeah, the CRV costs less to insure! The safety of the vehicle brings down the premium quite a bit.
    Scape, that is impossible!!!!! In Canadian dollars that would be about 37000$ Here we do have leather and all the other stuff you mentioned for 31900$ So I think you better go talk to that dealer!
    "I wouldn't include cargo space or things like shoulder room in the content arena because those are static numbers that you have to accept when you buy the vehicle."

But static numbers and built in features are still part of the intrinsic value of the vehicle. You cannot measure overall value by comparing optional content alone. Content value is only half the story.

Here's an example: When you compare a vehicle's ability to accelerate, do you compare horsepower alone? No. You must also take into account how much the vehicle weighs, how it is geared, and a host of other variables.

Also, the automatic addition of equipment does not always raise the value. Take side cladding for example. Many folks think that it spoils the look of the car and they don't want it. Buyers of some Porsches have to PAY to have bumper bullets deleted from the car. The CR-V with a 5 speed transmission is cheaper than the automatic, but more desirable to those who like to row their own gears. So having that "option" is a value in it's own right. It decreases costs and adds functionality all in one shot.

Then there is quality as well as quantity. On paper, the CR-V's 6 disk stereo/cassette player with 6 speakers looks like an advantage over a 6 disk system with four speakers. But the stock speakers in most Honda's are junk and it's entirely possible that another car's four speaker system could sound better. This is one of the big problems with paper comparisons.

Ironically, Honda added coat hooks for the 2003 models.

"I do agree that the newer Escape's will have less value than the older models because of the cuts. But I don't think it will look like any less of a value against the competition."

I don't see how that is possible. How can a vehicle lose value compared to itself, but not when compared to others? You may feel that it still has a higher value, but it has to have lost ground.

Summary time... Content value ignores intrinsic value and, therefore, is not a good indicator of overall value. Additional content is not always going to raise value. Content comparisons do not take into account quality. Your plan to use only optional content has way too many holes in it.
    varmint,
    I think you are over analyzing this. I'm not trying to show which one is a better overall value. I'm just trying to show that things can be deleted from a vehicle's content without it losing any ground to the competition. If one has more to offer than the other in the first place, then taking a few of them away won't make it look worse against its competition.

We're talking about some pretty minor things here, right?

davegh,
    "The CRV's back seats when slid all the way back yields the cargo space that you see in all the specs. If you slide the seats all the way forward you end up with cargo space that rivals the bigger SUV's."

Yes, and that gives you the extra leg room, but the difference in cargo space compared to the Escape is about .5 cubic feet.

I've seen the back cargo area of a new Explorer and that of the 2002 CR-V. There is no rivalry. You can almost fit the CR-V in the back of the Explorer. :)

When you have the third row seat of the Explorer up, then maybe there's a comparison.
    baggs,

When you slide both rear seats forward in the 2002 CRV you get 41 cubic feet of cargo space. The Explorer has 46.6 cubic feet. So I guess the CRV still has a small cargo area compared to the Explorer.

CRV w/ seats slid forward: 41 cubic feet
    2002 4Runner: 44.6 cubic feet
    2002 Explorer: 46.6 cubic feet
    2002 Trailblazer: 41 cubic feet
    2002 Grand Cherokee: 39 cubic feet
    2002 Montero: 39.8 cubic feet
    2002 Pathfinder: 38 cubic feet

I think the CRV is comparable to most of these vehicles.
    davegh,
    But if you slide those rear seats forward, how much leg room do you lose? Isn't it like 3 or 4 inches? If it's 4, then you now have less leg room than in the Escape, but more cargo room.

Believe me, it's a nice feature to have. As always though, there are tradeoffs.

If I need extra room in the Escape, I just throw it in the soft roof-top cargo carrier. They're like $20-$30 and almost as commodious as the hard carriers. The Escape allows for an extra 30 lbs up there over the CR-V.

Speaking of roof capacity, I actually put one of those Rubbermaid sheds on top of it this past summer. I found out the next day on their web site that it weighs 140 lbs (Escape's rails are rated at 100 lbs max). It didn't seem that heavy at the store, but we luckily made it home with the rails intact. I should have just taken the stupid things off now that I look back on it.
    Baggs,

You are right. The seats slide forward by about 8 inches.
    Heh, maybe my ad blocking/firewall stuff doesn't like it. Can everyone else see Diploid's pic?

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I can't see it either and I've turned off my proxy. I also tried linking directly to the address belonging to the pic and I get rerouted to a login screen. Membership required?

tidester, host
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Why? Its actually an 02 CRV EX auto 4x4.. ok, it comes with a roof rack and mud guards. I'm telling you the price is $23,944 in black and white. The Escape Limited is $30.00 more..
    You cannot believe the prices posted here at Edmunds or at any of these internet car sites. This same dealers is selling an 02 Passport for $399 a month or an 03 Accord V6 auto 4dr for $25,744, or an 03 odyssey EX for $399. 48mo lease.. or an 02 Civic DX 4DR for $11,944 or an 02 Civic 2 DR auto for $11,644 If anyone else in this room is from the NW region take a look at your paper, match these up and you will see what dealer. In my region the CRV has little to no price advantage. Call yourself.. 800 848 1813...MDL#RD7882JW, stk#G132150 or #G132149
    CRV less to insure?? with what agency?
    Dave.. you get 2mpg better than I do, safety, you have an advantage but not as much as you so wish to think..better built.. LOL! in your mind..
    Let's not post phone numbers in the discussions please; someone may try to slip one of Ms. Cleo's numbers in and we don't have time or inclination to verify them. Thanks :-)

Steve, Host
    I have no idea what's happening with the pic...now I can't see it either.
    Scape,

I didn't mean to acuse you of lying, I was just wondering if you didn't read something right. It sounds like you read everything fine. If they are priced that high then people must really like Honda's and are willing to pay premium prices for them.

The insurance information has been published in Autmotive Industry and in Kiplingers. It is based on data and actuarial scientist crank out insurance rates. The CRV was about 40 to 50 dollars cheaper for six month coverage. I am sure the expensive rear test hurt the CRV but the safety of the occupants far out weigh the fender bender.