Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Don't you have keyless entry? Never liked those keypads. I don't want my car to look like a keyboard. I remember a friend having one on a Ford years ago. It was a new toy, he was so proud. Do they still have them?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I understand they are still out there and lots of people (especially parents) really like them. The kids can go grab their inner tube and you don't have to worry about them dropping the keys in the sand. Not to mention no worries about locking yourself out.

Steve, Host
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I also went on a soccer tournament road trip in my Escape. I have a Thule on top of my Escape, along with step bars and rock guard. I was averaging 70-75MPH, A/C on high and I averaged 23.7MPG. Car was loaded with gear.. Not bad in my book for a 4WD SUV V6..
    I have tons of ammo here showing the Escape sells for less in my region. Can you say 05 Escape Limited 4x4 for $22,975!! not just 1 or 2 like Honda 10 to CHOOSE from. Choice is nice. Or and 05 Escape XLS 2.3 Liter for $16,375 and 5 to choose from. And for Honda.. a CRV EX lease for $279 a month. $2,696 due at signing! LOL! MSRP of $23,040. This is a lease folks, not a buy. Pretty doggone spendy in my book when comparing it to the above Escape Limited for $22,975. Options on the Limited far out way the EX options.. Want dealership numbers? let me know....
    Here is more Escape XLS 3@ $15,777 or XLT w/moonroof for $20,477.. this goes on and on..
    The MSRP of the CR-V EX AT is $23040. I hope you finally understand that people buy them for all sorts of prices. Including $20500 and lower.

Not too spendy in my book for what you get. 6 disc in dash CD changer, 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS w/ EBD, moonroof, alloy wheels, side airbags, etc. Can't get many of those items on a 4 cyl. Escape.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    22mpg three straight tanks. i think that's pretty good.
    i think keypad entry is a great convenience feature, although not as good as the automatic transmission. don't have to carry my keys around and can unlock/lock any of the doors and the rear hatch.
    scape2... what type of car top carrier do you have? i have the long type that can hold skis, etc... fits nicely on my explorer.
    i saw a crv with rooftop crossbars. they didn't look adjustable, forward or back, like the ones on the escape.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • suvtimesuvtime Member Posts: 58
    I just finished reading a comparison article between small suv’s in a Canadian magazine called “World of Wheels” where they took five suv’s out to a drag strip around Toronto to test. The tested models included a Honda CR-V LX (even LX’s are AWD in Canada), Mitsubishi Outlander XLS, Nissan X-Trail-XE, Toyota Rav4 Chili and a 2005 Ford Escape XLS. (4 cylinder)

Here is a very brief summary of some of the findings (By the way all testing was done during light rain)

Ford Escape

The smallest engine of the group with the tallest gearing that produced the slowest acceleration (13.5 seconds from 0-100 kph). That’s about 62 mph by the way.

As part of the Escape’s revamp, Ford retuned its suspension for a softer ride. It worked as far as the ride goes but at a cost of sacrificing a bit in the handling category. The Ford was labeled as the most truck like to drive.

Its instrumentation caused a bit of a debate. Comments included “plain but eminently readable”, through “really silly to a “crime against humanity.” They did like the huge center console storage bin but did not think much of the quality of the materials.

Honda CR-V

Managed to place third in the acceleration test with a mark of 11.3 seconds for 0-100kph (Outlander was first at 10.7 and the Rav4 second with a 10.9)

The CR-V’s AWD system was really slammed in this test being called “Mickey Mouse” and “one sorry excuse for a 4 wheel drive system.” Apparently during the acceleration test it allowed “the front wheels to spin almost uncontrollably when accelerating flat out”.
    I’m not sure if the AWD system or the Bridgestone tires caused this. But none of the others seemed to struggle for traction.

They liked the CR-V’s handling and ride quality. It also got high marks for its dash being of “high quality with an upscale look with classy gauges and a slick rotary HVAC.”

Some disliked the gear shifter location

I won’t get into details of the other 3 trucks, as this thread is a comparison of Escapes and CR-V’s. For what is worth, of the four people conducting these tests none of them ended up picking either one as the winner. One picked the X-TRAIL two picked the Rav4 and one the Mitsubishi.
    a CRV EX can be had for even under $20,500!! LOL! you crack me up. Anyone who visits this room and reads this post and has shopped the CRv market will know somthing is not right in your post. Keep believing you can get an 04 CRV EX AWD ro $20,500 if it makes you feel better. I have car ads by the tone that say otherwise.. and these are Ad cars. Most people know Honda does not sell its cars for below invoice. You are quoting a price below invoice. Honda's sell for close to MSRP, or you leave the lot empty handed.. take it or leave it is Honda's motto...
    Thanks for the unbias post. And most of all thanks for the posting of the 11.3 0-60 times for a CRV LX automatic. There are CRV owners that claim a 4cyl automatic CRV can best a V6 Escape in 0-60 times.. Not going to happen and you just proved it... Thanks.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    No, I think you are making everyone else laugh. You ignore many posts that answer your relentless campaign on prices that you think cannot possibly be true. However, people ARE leaving the Honda lots, not empty handed, but with a new V, as advertised in the newspapers at $20500 for EX/AT, and even negotiated much less.

Then you go on to say someone "proved" something just because a magazine stated it and it is something that disproves another poster or another magazine or source. You are way over the top and I hope many folks can be patient enough to get past your words and get to comparing the vehicles.
    I'll play too. Every price you post for the Escape is not true. The Escape sells for MSRP and not a penny less at every one of the thousands of Ford dealerships.

Everyone hear? MSRP only for the Escape. That means close to $29000 for a top of the line, fully optioned vehicle.
    From Edmunds own review of the CR-V. Does a certain someone consider them unbiased as well?

Now this is for the 5 speed. But I have seen times reported for the automatic that are less than 11.3 seconds posted above. I will find them and I will post them. So following a certain persons logic I guess that will show that the previous numbers are wrong. More importantly it shows how the CR-V beat the V6 equipped Escape. Beat it. Beat it. Beat it. That's the hammer portion of this post.

Enjoy:

Track testing confirmed our impressions, as the CR-V managed a best 0-to-60-mph run of 8.7 seconds. An impressive feat considering that the last Ford Escape we tested only managed a best time of 9.3 seconds, and that was with a 200-horsepower V6 under the hood. Not to mention that even with all this power, the CR-V still managed a very respectable 21.8 miles per gallon during our week-long test.

Even more impressive than the engine's power is the manner in which it's delivered. Most four-cylinders are plagued by excessive noise and vibration, but the CR-V's new powerplant remains smooth and quiet at all engine speeds. It's also less peaky, with a broad band of power that rarely leaves you scrambling for a lower gear. We have no trouble calling this new engine the standard for refinement in four-cylinder sport-utes.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    drive62,
    Unless you drive a 2002+ CR-V with an MTX scape will most likely beat you in a race to 60. You'll be watching his tail lights if you decide to go for the 1/4. :)
    people actually are concerned about how fast their little suv goes 0-60? grow up a bit.
    The owner of the site says the CR-V they tested has a faster 0-60 time than the referenced Escape. Doesn't seem like a debatable point. But it is ;-).
    I think the real benchmark should be 30 to 60, for all those freeway merges.

Steve, Host
  • nyfocus1nyfocus1 Member Posts: 11
    Unless the 2 cars were tested at the same time, the results are meaningless. Track conditions, weather conditions (temp, humidity, etc) can easily alter the .6 second difference between the 2 vehicles.

Also, how does Edmunds conduct the acceleration test? Some car reviewers will take a car up to redline before shifting into gear – even automatic transmission!! Of course, the reviewers are not concerned with long term durability but this method does extract the best 0-60 times. While it does favor high-revving engines (such as the Honda) over larger, low end torque engines (such as the Ford), I think we can agree 98% of the people will not be driving there cars this way. A more realistic indication of power may be 30-60 (as Steve pointed out) or accelerating up a hill with 2 passengers and the A/C on. My *guess* would be that most people will find the Escape more powerful.

Disclaimer: I have not driven an Escape but I have a test driven 04 CR-V EX with auto. I would describe it as “peppy”. In other words, plenty of “get and go” when I’m driving by myself, but I can see it being a little bogged down under certain driving condition, such as when I have my wife & salesman in the car and the A/C on.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "The CR-V’s AWD system was really slammed in this test being called “Mickey Mouse” and “one sorry excuse for a 4 wheel drive system.” Apparently during the acceleration test it allowed “the front wheels to spin almost uncontrollably when accelerating flat out”.
    I’m not sure if the AWD system or the Bridgestone tires caused this. But none of the others seemed to struggle for traction."

That's an easy one. The RT4WD system used in the CR-V has a safety valve. This valve prevents the system from activating if the rush of torque from the drivetrain is dangerously high. This effectively prevents people from slamming the rear wheels into action. This feature prevents damage to the system and can also prevent the fish-tailing or loss of control that will occur when the tire's contact patch is suddenly overwhelmed.

These testers were forcing the system to blow the safety valve. They just didn't understand it.
    "Unless the 2 cars were tested at the same time, the results are meaningless. Track conditions, weather conditions (temp, humidity, etc) can easily alter the .6 second difference between the 2 vehicles."

True enough.

TruckTrend did a comparo with the RAV4, CR-V, Escape, and Freelander a few years back. All vehicles were tested on the same track with the same methodology. The CR-V (an automatic) was faster than the V6 Escape on the 0-60 run.

Any questions?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I think the real benchmark should be 30 to 60, for all those freeway merges."

Actually, the CR-V does have a "power hole". At certain speeds (highway passing situations), I find it difficult to get the transmission to kick down to 2nd gear, and the torque at these speeds (I drive an automatic) is very slow to accelerate. The vehicle is in 3rd gear at this point, but needs 2nd.

I generally floor the accelerator. Once the gears kick down, the CR-V moves fine, in fact, outstandingly.

Freeway merges are fine, since the engine is already spinning at a pretty high RPM when accelerating on the on-ramp.

Just goes to show you have to know the ins-and-outs of your particular vehicle, and drive accordingly.
    Good point - I have an overdrive button on the van that I turn off for those situations.

Steve, Host
    "Good point - I have an overdrive button on the van that I turn off for those situations."

The overdrive does kick off. The problem is that the 2.4L engine needs to downshift from 3rd to 2nd. I find that the "Overdrive" (actually 4th gear on the CR-V) easily down shifts to 3rd. But 3rd doesn't have enough pull to move the car at passing speeds.
    I was trying to say that if I turn off my overdrive and pass (or go uphill in 3rd), my van will then shift to 2nd if needed without too much fuss. Sounds like a few more horses would help from your description.

Steve, Host
    I'll try that next time...
    This person has actual proof. He gave a Magazine name.. much more than what drive62 or even yourself has given for proof. I have listed over and over again prices and dealerships names along with vin#s for Escapes. The fact is the CRV does not sell for less in my region. This weekend I happened to notice a CRV EX for $19,999. Took a second look and in small writing it is a USED CRV, an 04 CRV a Program CRV.. You guys are fighting an uphill battle. Anyone in the car market knows Honda does not sell its vehicles for below invoice, or even near invoice. Honda's are spendy this is no trade secret.
    You state "advertised in the paper" for 20,500, where then.. give me the dealership name and number will YOU?????? I will ask again.. Give me the name and number of the dealership that is advertising CRV-EX for $20,500.... you said it now cough it up...
    5 SPEED, 5 SPEED not automatic.. the 11.3 is an automatic, I never claimed it was a 5spd. The other item is they don't tell you is they had to rev the holy you know what out ot the CRV in order to attain these 0-60 numbers. They had to drive the CRV and hammer on it in ways most people would not treat their vehicles in order to get these numbers. It only takes a test drive to show people the Escape is quicker and more powerful than the CRV.. One test drive...
    Well, I too have seen better times for the Escape, I have seen as low as 8.2 for 0-60 times.. The fact is the V6 is more powerful and quicker than the CRv in automatic form. This debate looks familiar.....
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    When I see people paying too much attention to how many seconds (with second decimals!) it takes to the car to reach, say, speed of 60 -
    I can immediately picture the guy from that Ford truck TV ad, who was trying to outdo Ford truck from the light stop. :-)!!!!
    Is it really matters - is it 8.2 sec or 9.0 or even 10.0 in everyday life? Is it the most important thing in life to outdo that butt-faced stupid guy from the light stop?
    These "rabbit starts" does not come cheap - you would pay extra for gas (law of physics!) , tires, additional maintenance and, God forbid, even for more trouble.
    When somebody tries to outrun me from the traffic light stop - I am happy that this guy/girl go fast away - less trouble for me and others who are behind him.
    Scape, we do this every single time 0-60 number are discussed here. You make the same assertions and the same mistakes every time.

1. They revved the Escape to get those numbers, too.

2. No one is saying that the CR-V is more powerful than the Escape. But the Escape is heavier and the gearing is softer. So acceleration is not as different than you'd like to think.

3. We have an automatic vs automatic comparison performed with the same testing methodology on the same track by the same magazine. See the TruckTrend article I mentioned above. The auto CR-V was faster than the the auto Escape.

Dems da facts.

Frankly, I figure if a person cares enough about acceleration that they are going to consider 0-60 times, they aren't going to buy an automatic.
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    In the Phoenix area, the CR-V EX is always a cheaper option than an equivalent Escape (say XLT 4WD) - but not by much. The MSRPs are $2000 apart, with the Escape at aprrox. $25k and the CR-V approx. $23k. The actual price quotes narrowed the gap to about $1500, with the CR-V the cheaper option.

Scape2 is always miscomparing because his prices typically refer to 2WD Escapes. He has no idea what properly equipped 4WD Escapes actually cost. When you get into 4WD XLT Sport editions and Limiteds, actual prices approach and surpass $25k.

I expect the significantly updated 2005 CR-V to cost more than the 2004 - but they are likely to remain cheaper than equivalent Escapes. Side airbags will be standard, whereas they are costly and hard-to-find options on the Escape. This alone will probably account for significant cost savings for CR-V buyers. They will also have VSA and 5-speed automatics, both features unavailable on the Escape.
  • suvtimesuvtime Member Posts: 58
    Guys the times in the magazine article I was referring to are bound to be a bit high due to the wet conditions during the test
    Does the '05 Escape already have a rebate? Newspapers here seem to indicate so.
    2005 Escape now has $1500 cash back in Arizona. It used to be $1000, which was accounted for in the price quotes I received. So now the gap between it and the CR-V is a bit narrower, but the Escape still costs more.
    Frankly, I figure if a person cares enough about acceleration that they are going to consider 0-60 times, they aren't going to buy an automatic.

Nor should they buy an SUV.

Does the '05 Escape already have a rebate? Newspapers here seem to indicate so.

It was $1000 back in June when we bought ours. Not many vehicles come "out of the chute" without some kind of incentive these days whether it be hidden or not.

All things considered the rebate is mighty low on the Escape. We could have bought an Explorer XLT for less than what the Escape cost us (less doodads too though) because of the $3000 + $1000 bonus rebate that was available at the time. GM has rebates of up to $6000 right now IIRC and I've seen TV ads touting up to $9000 off of any PT Cruiser and some Jeeps just recently. I don't know if the latter is all rebates but that's a pretty hefty discount.

Ford has been lowering their rebates recently but losing sales because of it. We won't hear how that has effected the bottom line for another two months. The real test for them is just over the horizon though as they get ready to ship three completely new cars to dealer lots. Word on the street right now is that the Mustang will start off with low interest rates and no cash. I don't know about the other two though.

Side airbags will be standard, whereas they are costly and hard-to-find options on the Escape.

I have to disagree. We had no trouble finding an '05 Escape with the safety canopy and if we couldn't, ordering one the way you want is no problem either.

As for the price, I don't think $425 is all that expensive to protect the upper half of every outboard passenger in a crash/rollover. Also, just because Honda is making them standard doesn't mean you are getting them for free. :)

Will the next CR-V have curtains or the same side torso-only bags they currently offer? There is a big difference.
    Dunno, Baggs. There are a decent number of buyers for the Forester XT (turbo), the BMW X5, the Porsche Cayenne, MDX, FX45, and others.

I agree that sporting enthusiasts would be better served with another vehicle (from a bang for buck perspective), but SUV-driving, sport drivers do exist.

"All things considered the rebate is mighty low on the Escape." - Baggs

The rebate is low, only when compared with other Fords and Chevies. The CR-V has no rebate, at all. $1,000 is a grand more than Honda has to pay customers to buy the CR-V.

But there are likely other incentives that exist (other than rebates). These include bonuses paid to the dealer, rather than the customer. So that $1,000 figure may only be what the public sees.

"Will the next CR-V have curtains or the same side torso-only bags they currently offer? There is a big difference." - Baggs on bags

It is rumored that the CR-V will have curtain-style side airbags for the front passenger, along with the same seat-mounted bags that are offered today. The curtains will include a roll-over protection feature similar to what Ford offers on the Explorer (the bags stay inflated if the vehicle rolls).

The reason why this rumor persists is that Honda has promised to have these features (along with ABS and VSA) on all truck models (every trim) soon. Honda of Canada has also released information stating that they are getting these features in 2005.
    The curtains will include a roll-over protection feature similar to what Ford offers on the Explorer (the bags stay inflated if the vehicle rolls).

The Escape has this as well. That's what the Safety Canopy system is all about.

Why have curtains for the front passengers and not the back too? That seems pretty lame considering everyone else is offering protection for all rows these days. Maybe curtains for all rows will be an option?

But there are likely other incentives that exist (other than rebates). These include bonuses paid to the dealer, rather than the customer. So that $1,000 figure may only be what the public sees.

Honda does the same thing. How else do you explain people buying their vehicles for less than invoice?

I've seen proof of Honda incentives in other threads. More prominently on Accords and Civics. Can't speak for the CR-V.
    Curtains for the rear seats are, at this time, unconfirmed. I mean, the whole thing is unconfirmed, but the rumors about the side airbags just haven't been specific about the rear seats.

Yes, Honda does use dealer incentives. At this time, no one has found evidence of them being applied to the CR-V. The CR-V is still selling as fast as they can build them.

Vehicles like the Civic and Accord have incentives as they compete in the toughest markets as volume vehicles. Most evidence suggests that the Ody has incentives because it's an old design (competition from the Sienna has forced Honda to put down a little cash to move the inventory). And of course, the Acura RL needs big incentives to move that pig off the lots.

But all that is secondary to the point I was making. You wrote that the rebate for the Escape is "mighty low". IMHO, that's a bit misleading.

$1,000 might be a low rebate for Ford or Chevy. But compared to the Hondas, that rebate is huge.

Also, that is only the customer rebate. It is not the entire range of incentives on the Escape. Money is also spent in the form of buying down interest rates, rebates to the dealer, and other "dealer incentives". This allows the dealer to lower the price further.

Honda has recently raised incentives, but the average of ALL their incentives for their ENTIRE fleet is not much higher than only the customer rebate on the 2005 Escape. It's lower than the recent rebates for the 2004 model.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0408/04/a01-229485.htm

To borrow a term from the world of golf, the Escape has a bigger handicap than the customer rebate suggests.
    The same newspaper lists incentives for Honda. The Civic has some factory to dealer, but not the CR-V.

The Escape is a good seller but they still have to add a rebate. I'd rather a vehicle be priced right from the beginning.
    i buy the vehicle i like better. :)
    The Escape is a good seller but they still have to add a rebate. I'd rather a vehicle be priced right from the beginning.

That's the real issue. Sticker prices for the Escape have risen quite a bit over the years as have those on many other domestic brands/models. The rebates are not the sole cause for these increases but are probably the major reason.

On vehicles like the Escape, where the rebate is lower, you really aren't getting a good deal. It just looks like you are. The rebate really only lowers the price to where it should be.

For example, I don't have actual numbers in front of me but, an '05 XLT optioned the way our former '02 was would cost at least $1000 more than it did back in '02. Back in '02 there was no rebate and there was no special financing on the Escape. Period. Now we see that some minor conveniences have been removed but still the sticker price has risen and rebates are a permanent fixture. It's pretty simple math actually but it's easy to ignore.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all vehicles with rebates. The Explorer's sticker surely has not risen by $4000 so Ford is losing out on some profit there. But with the Escape I don't think Ford is losing much, if anything with a $1000-$1500 rebate. Maybe they do towards the end of the MY when the rebate heads upwards of $2000 but for the most part they found a way to keep Escapes rolling off of the lots in light of some very stiff competition. And again, they don't have to rebate away their profits on this vehicle much if at all.

$1,000 might be a low rebate for Ford or Chevy. But compared to the Hondas, that rebate is huge.

That's really what I meant but you brought up some other good points. :)

Also, the rebate on the Accord I was referring to in my previous post was valued at several thousand dollars (I think $3000). But it was "hidden" dealer cash and I guess the dealer has the right to limit how much they want to dish out, and that guy got lucky. My point is, Honda isn't innocent when it comes to incentives. They just hide them a lot better because they still can. If Ford and GM come out with some real winners in their car lines the Honda and Toyota might be playing catch up.
  • norrmanndonorrmanndo Member Posts: 81
    I believe that if you truly need to drive off-road, then the Escape is definitely preferable. For basic Utility, and driving uphill on slick roads then they are similar. I know that the 2001-2004 Escapes have a much better AWD system with true 4 wheel lock when you need it.

For the masses out there who just need utility and love Honda quality, then the CRV should be fine. If you drive both vehicles and then choose the one you like better, then these posts don't matter.

Don't forget to take note of the upgraded sound systems. The Escape has a great 7 speaker set-up.
    You guys are right on. You do have to ultimately choose the one you really like the most whether it be for looks, price, features, etc. However, we do have to discuss something in this thread don't we? ;)

The Escape has a great 7 speaker set-up.

I'll second that! Completely blows away the base Escape stereo as well as the 7 speaker BOSE system in our Mazda6.

Now if I can only find a way to tie a portable DVD player into it...
    Not a mistake. A person entered this room whom was non=bias. He/She quoted an article from a Magazine stating the CRV automatic made a 0-60 time of 11.3 seconds. The times you continue to quote are from a 5spd not an automatic. How can you "rev" the Escape to redline its an automatic? I personally have test drove an automatic CRV and there is no way it is as quick as the Escape. Anyone who tests drives and compares the two will feel the differnce immediatly.
    I think it's called footbraking (as opposed to the transbrake device). Hard on the tranny, but it'll launch the car faster off the line.

Steve, Host
    OK, once again I will post prices, vin#'s and dealership names and phone numbers here at Edmunds this weekend. ONE time I made a mistake by puting in 2WD Escapes, ONE time. I will prove for the 4th time that the Escape in my region is less than a comparably equipped CRV.

I am still waiting form the CRV crowd for a Dealership and a phone number and vin# for where you can get a CRV-EX for $20,500.... I am waiting..........................drive? varmit? civc? whomever... prove it..!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You many include the name of dealership in your posts but no contact information such as telephone numbers.

tidester, host
    If you can buy a CR-V EX for $20,500 then there has to be some kind of incentive on it. Otherwise the dealer is losing a lot of money on each one and no Honda dealer I've ever come across will go for that. Asking for invoice insults them from my experience.
    "The times you continue to quote are from a 5spd not an automatic." - scape

You are wrong. The TT article I am quoting compared an automatic CR-V to an automatic Escape.

"How can you "rev" the Escape to redline its an automatic?" - scape

Step on the gas hard and hold it down until the transmission shifts.

If you are referring to clutch-drop launching, then Steve is correct regarding foot-braking. We remind you of this stuff every time 0-60 acceleration is brought up.

And, BTW, for the sake of anyone else reading this stuff (for the 50th time)... Red-lining an engine and side stepping the clutch will not always result in the best acceleration times. It often results in way too much wheelspin and the car goes no where. As noted earlier, such an action would cause the CR-V's AWD to deactivate making wheelspin an even bigger issue.
    I guess I cannot give dealerhip phone numbers. If you are in question and want a dealership number e-mail me at Sarduci1@aol.com

Courtesy Ford
    05 Escape XLT 4x4 5 @ $20,875
    3.0 V6
    Full power options
    Speed control
    air
    power 6way seats
    05 Escape XLS 6@ $15,675
    2.3 4cyl
    automatic
    air
    power options
    CD player
    This is Front wheel drive not 4x4..
    Dicks Mekenzie Ford
    05 XLS 3 @ 15,788 4x2 4cyl
    05 Escape XLS 17,988 4x4 4cyl
    05 Escape XLT 4x4 5 @ 20,488
    Landmark Ford
    05 Escape Limited 4 @ 21,777
    Leather, AC, 3.0 V6, Moon roof
    Now for Honda
    Tonkin Honda
    CRV EX auto
    MSRP of 23,040
    This is the lease for 279 a month, you need to put down $2,696 to get this lease. This is a lease, not a buy.
    Beaverton Honda
    CRV LX 4x4 lease
    249 a month. need to have 2,616 dollars down to get this lease price per month. MSRP is 20,890, sale price is 19,570.
    This is proof here folks. I am not going to type this all out again. An LX CRV for 19,570 vs an XLT Escape for $20,488. a 1000 dollar difference. The XLT has more options than an LX CRV. I called on the XLS Escape for $17,988. It is optioned with a 4cyl and very close to the CRV LX. A 1,500 dollar difference!
    Proof, you pay more for Honda products. Your resale should be better.
    CR rated the CRV as most reliable! LOL!! this is proof that bias runs at CR.. even with all the CRV recalls and the engine fire fiasco... There is bias at CR and it shows! I would have believed the Liberty, VUE, RAV4 orr even the Santa Fe as being most reliable over the CRV!
    Last I heard there were ~30 engine fires that triggered Honda's notice to dealers to check for double gaskets, etc. at the first oil change. Maybe 130 reports at the NHTSA of issues (not necessarily fires).

I haven't about any Escape stalling issues lately - did Ford get that little fiasco fixed? Hmmm, the last report on an '03 stalling was back on June 7th; maybe the stalls are tapering off. (Complaint Number 10083407)

Steve, Host
    By the way, the MSRP for the 2005 Escape keeps creeping up for some reason. The XLT 4WD started at $25090 (incl. destination), then went to $25120, and is now at $25295 - two increases in the same model year over a span of maybe five months. The rebate is $1500 or $1000, so I'm skeptical that you could actually buy one at the prices scape2 cited.