Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    have pointed out its for the 2005? How come it says 2 reviews for Escape and 170 for the CRV right at the top of this page then? :confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Heh, so it does; I wondered where you saw that. Beats me! I'll have to ask what the deal is - looks like something isn't getting incremented right. Thanks Scape!

Steve, Host
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    have pointed out its for the 2005? How come it says 2 reviews for Escape and 170 for the CRV right at the top of this page then? :confuse:

Escape drivers are too busy at the dealership getting recalls and warranty repair done, while CR-V drivers have all the time they need to post on Edmunds khe khe khe :-)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    i still think it's funny that most escape posters point out how much they like their vehicles, but other non owners post mostly negative generalities about them.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    but other non owners post...

I'm not sure your generalization is accurate but, just for the record, ownership of a specific vehicle is not a prerequisite for contributing to the discussion of a specific vehicle on these boards! :)

tidester, host
    tides... i don't disagree with you, but posting negative comments about a vehicle that you have no expierience with, is not what i consider a 'contribution'.
    "Contributions" come in all colors and flavors! Nevertheless, people do give greater credence to information and opinions provided by owners and will weigh contributions accordingly. (In fact, ownership IS a prerequisite for publishing in our Consumer Ratings and Reviews!)

tidester, host
    Ok, the pull for the consumer reviews at the top come from the most recent model year. So we're pulling the two reviews for the '06 Escape but not the ~234 ones for the 2005 Escape. The CR-V is still in '05 model mode so that's why the 170 reviews show up for it.

You can see them all by going to New Cars under the Edmunds.com tab and drilling down to Consumer Reviews.

Hope this helps.

Steve, Host
    i still think it's funny that most escape posters point out how much they like their vehicles, but other non owners post mostly negative generalities about them.

One flaw with your conclusion.

WE OWN BOTH, a 2005 CR-V EX and a 2005 ESCAPE XLT. How many people here have both in the same household? If there are others, we are the only ones who can truly compare them side by side.

I drive CR-V most of the time, while She drives the Escape, but sometimes we switch, if one is parked infront of the other. I can compare them, you can't. You have a one sided opinion, while I have both...
    is Edmunds still pulling from the 05 model year of CRV? Then pulling from 06 model year of Escape for reviews?? :confuse: This makes no sense whatsever??
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    You own one of each from the same model year? I'm impressed. I'm curious to know your opinions about each and also about your buying experience with them.
    At the same time.. I have both an 01 Escapt XLT V6 4WD and an 04 Mazda Tribute ES V6 4WD in my garage. So.. to make the generalization that all Escapes/Tributes are at the dealership getting recall work done is a bit ignorant. I have had no major issues with my vehicles. AND. how about all those recalls with the CRV? or the Combustable Recreation Vehicle issues?? CRV is not without issues. Get out on the net, people have thier gripes, moans and woes with CRV's also....
    is Edmunds still pulling from the 05 model year of CRV? Then pulling from 06 model year of Escape for reviews?? This makes no sense whatsever??

Probably because the 2006 CR-V is not going to be out for another month and a half.
    You own one of each from the same model year? I'm impressed. I'm curious to know your opinions about each and also about your buying experience with them.

I posted comparison earlier in the thread. Each has it positives and negatives.

As far as buying experience, buying Honda was like pulling teeth out of the dealer, it was a lengthy negotiations process. Ford was basically happy that we were interested in it, and would do whatever we asked to make sure we bought one.

There are only 2 Honda dealers in a 60 mile radius, while there are 5 Fords in just our area. Plus, I wanted a very rare, almost oxymoronic, SUV with a manual transmission. Luckily Honda by us had one, but I made a mistake by letting them know that I only wanted a manual.

Escape manual (4 cyl, 2WD) is a dog compare to CR-V manual (4 cyl, AWD). CR-V manual (4 cyl, AWD) is as fast if not faster than Escape XLT (V6, AWD, auto). Just the fact that this thread exists, means that Honda's 4 Cyl is a formidable threat to Ford's V6.
    Probably because the 2006 CR-V is not going to be out for another month and a half.

Bingo! ;)

Steve, Host
    your profile is not up to date.
    last weekend i installed a 2 inch receiver hitch on my wife's escape. based on the installation times posted on the etrailer site, i figured it wouldn't be a big deal.
    the local rv place where i bought it wanted about $40 to install it.
    it took me hours, but i finaly got it installed. the mounting bolts had to be fished through the frame. there were 2 choices, take off the back bumper and run them through the end of the frame, or grind out one of the access holes in the frame on each side and fish the bolts and backing plates through there. i did option 2. once i learned how to set up the fishing wire, it wasn't too bad. of course i fished some of the bolts through the wrong holes, and had to fish them from one hole to another, too.
    i am sure some crv owner will post how much easier it is to do on a crv. ;)
    A CR-V owner has a choice. Get OEM hitch from Honda and follow OEM installtation instructions, which do require drilling and fiddling
    OEM Hitch install

Or go with e-trailer's no drilling version
    E-trailer

P.S. Thanks for pointing out the profile, it is updated now.
    are you towing with your Escape to need a 2" reciever???? Remember, these only tow 3,500lbs, along wtih... it is recommended having the tow package...I tow my two watercraft and trailer. I Estimate about 1800lbs. Add gear up over 2000lbs. Add people, more gear to vehicle.. and it goes up from there. So far so good. Never had any issues.

"4cyl manual faster than V6 in Escape" Here we go again, and again, and again. You fail to mention you have absolutely redline the 4cyl through each gear in order to achieve this goal. %99.0 of CRV owners with manual transmission don't redline thier vehicles on a normal basis I would bet.... :P
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    And I'm thinking 99.0% of V6 Escape owners don't mash the gas pedal to the floor from a standstill.

Here we go again, and again, and again. Real data being ignored.
    the hitch i installed is on the no drill list too(hidden hitch). technically, i had to grind not drill. :) my bike rack uses a 2 inch receiver, so now i don't have to leave the explorer at home when the wife wants to go find a bike trail. i am not planning on towing anything. my explorer has the towing package, but noone will rent me a trailer. :sick:
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    Actually, it goes even further than that. You have to POWER BRAKE to get those numbers with an automatic. That's what the car mags do. And I'd guess it's even more unlikely that someone will power brake an automatic than redline a Honda, since Hondas love to be revved. And again, who cares about 0-60 anyway? How many times does one do it in the lifetime of a car. I've NEVER done it in 14 years of driving.
    Ford's profits dropped by 19% in the 2nd quarter. Scape has claimed Honda is as good as dead, so I thought this was relevant.
    Ford's profits dropped by 19% in the 2nd quarter. Scape has claimed Honda is as good as dead, so I thought this was relevant.

Honda made $10,000,000 just from shipping soy beans grown in Ohio to Japan in the empty engine/tranny containers. Pretty smart idea, I think.
    I was going to mention how Honda engines love to be revved but didn't want to deal with the retorts. You seem much more up to it ;) .
    "Honda made $10,000,000 just from shipping soy beans grown in Ohio to Japan in the empty engine/tranny containers. Pretty smart idea, I think."

I agree. Do you have a link to where you read this? I'd like to learn more. Thank you.
    Here's one link about it:

Chicago Tribune Jim Mateja Column (carinsurance.com)

Steve, Host
    Once again you fail to tell the whole story. Typical Honda move.. 19% in relation to last years second quarter? 1st quarter of this year? What about Honda's sales that have gone flat? Accord and even CRV sales aren't doing that great. Thier sales chart shows what looks to be close to a flat line. JD powers reported Honda's customer satisfaction is also down. You get me all wrong. I am not predicting the end of Honda. What I am saying is Honda's glory days are over. With the internet and the free passage of information people are finding out things about Honda and its "reliability". Please, man, get out on the net, visit other rooms. People are having issues with Honda's. Now, back to this % thing. Numbers can be twisted and turned. You need to realize Ford build more in F series trucks and Rangers than Honda builds in all thier line-ups combined. Get it? percentages for Ford vs percentages for Honda differ on a huge scale.... ;)
    Here's what you said at the beginning of the month:

It's all over for Honda. Reading more and more around the net of people who have or had issues with the Accord, CRV, Civic and other Honda vehicles. As Honda fans know customer satisfaction for Honda has also slipped by a fair margin. With quality of ALL vehicles going up across the board, what will Honda have to offer? not much. Honda had one heck of a run no doubt. More comsumers are finding out you don't need the silver "H" to have a good, reliable and quality built vehicle. It was only a matter of time for this to happen in a market driven economy. I foresee a buyout of Honda in the next 10-15 years. Honda will not have the $$$ for new reasearch/capitol to invest in new plants, R&D ect.. Sales trends for Honda are also in a flat curve, not like 5 years ago when the line was at a very good upward trend.

YOU wrote that. Now your here trying to spin a 19% loss in profits in the 2nd quarter as such a bad thing, when in reality Ford is having trouble selling cars, not Honda. Blah, blah blah.

On the other hand, Honda expects 20% growth from 3.2 million units a year, to 4 million units a year, by March of 2008.

In your wacky math, you're always trying to compare the two directly. That's like comparing me and the CEO of my company directly. As you yourself pointed out, Ford's biggest seller is there full-size pickups, which Honda doesn't even make. And Honda selling less CR-Vs doesn't mean it isn't superior to the Escape.

Regardless, Honda continues to grow, and Ford continues to have problems. That will continue until Ford starts to make cars and SUVs that get good gas mileage, perform well, and are safe and reliable. Until then, they will consistently be behind Chevy and Toyota in overall sales, and behind those two and Honda when it comes to making vehicles people want.

The people at Ford should get down on their knees and thank the Lord the Europeans and the Asians don't really have interest in making big pickups, because that's all Ford has to brag about right now.
    In your wacky math ...

Wacky math is what Abbott and Costello did. Let's refrain from characterizing fellow Forum members in the same manner! Thanks. :)

tidester, host
  • clamclam Member Posts: 36
    Lol. I don't think I've seen anyone pwned quite as badly on Edmunds before. The problem with changing your story is that the past can be quoted. :D

Ford's doing great. Employee pricing, anyone?
    Honda's glorified reputation is on the down hill slide. Get out on the net, look in other rooms besides here at Edmunds. Expecting growth and getting growth are two different stories. Heck, I can expect a 10 percent raise!! will I get it?? Why doesnt' Honda allow Alldata.com to posts its TSB's? Yet all other manufacturers TSB's are available? Honda PR has done a great job in stemming and quelling the CRV fire issues. I just hope noone dies from a fire in their CRV. Ford DOES build reliable and quality vehicles. Its just been pounded in peoples heads year after year that they don't. I am living proof the Escape AND Tribute are great vehicles. Would you believe me? of course not. There are some people who will never, ever believe Ford, GM could EVER make a vehicle superior to a Japanese brand. I am not one of them. I have owned both, My Fords have all run fine and lasted many years and miles. I see no reason to pay the extra $$$ for a perceived reliaiblity/quality advantage. And, if you get out on the net you will see more and more people are finding this out and switching from Honda to other brands, not just Fords or GM models. This is what I meant by "its over for Honda". Thier glory days are over.....And yes if they don't attain large sales numbers here in the U.S. they will not have the capitol to keep up with Toyota or Nissan or Subaru or even Hyundia in the costs of development of new products and get them to market. So, I stand by my prediction of a buyout in the next 10-15 years of Honda.. ;)
    Honda's glorified reputation is on the down hill slide. Get out on the net, look in other rooms besides here at Edmunds.

Yeah, you're probably right, "net" people's opinions on the internet mean more to me than what all the studies say.

I just hope noone dies from a fire in their CRV.

Me, too. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to CR-V that happened to Ford when all those rollovers happened. According to the net, you couldn't drive a block without seeing a rollovered Ford.

I am living proof the Escape AND Tribute are great vehicles. Would you believe
    me?

You're right, I wouldn't believe you, but that doesn't mean Escape and Tribute are bad vehicles. They just aren't as good as a CR-V. Especially since they roll over all the time.

There are some people who will never, ever believe Ford, GM could EVER make a vehicle superior to a Japanese brand.

I didn't use to be one of these people, but now I think I am. You've got to stay on four tires to be superior.

And, if you get out on the net you will see more and more people are finding this out and switching from Honda to other brands, not just Fords or GM models.

Here we are back to those infamous "net" people. They're kinda like carnies, from what I've been told. Small hands, smell like cabbage. And if you mean people switching to Ford and GM, you obviously have been living in Afghanistan for the past few months. The domestics are the ones with the low sales and offering "employee" pricing. Not Honda. I've gotta go. Someone just rolled a Ford outside my house...
    when you post this...
    "They just aren't as good as a CR-V. Especially since they roll over all the time."
    maybe i missed something, do me a favor and point where you got this from.
    I guess the CRV the Combustable recreational vehicle catches on fire all the time too?? Whoa! there is one on fire right now down the street! This kind of stuff of all Escapes rolling over shows me just how much you really don't know about vehicles... Fact is I paid less for my Escape, my Escape is paid for, I paid lower interest rate, shorter amount of time. No CRV owner can claim this.. Along with folks like yourself beating the never ending drum of all Fords, GM products cannot and will never be as good as anything Honda makes.. I am your worst nightmare.. a satisfied Ford owner with years of Ford vehicles that have been reliable. :shades:
    And yes, if you knew how to "surf" the net you would find other chat rooms about the auto industry, and peeved off Honda owners to boot..
    If your point is that the Escape is cheaper than a CR-V, I agree. You get what you pay for.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    CRV - YTD sales of 73,435 compared with 69,979 in 2004 +5.6%

Escape - YTD sales of 86,914 compared with 98,532 in 2004 -11.8%

These numbers do not include any July sales.
    once again, Tribute and Mariner sales were not included? Why? Your numbers are once again misleading. Kind of funny how when a person who Does not own a Honda product talks of personal experience is all "full of it" and cannot be believed. Yet when a Honda is performing, its all ok and thier word is golden. Can you say Hypocryte?
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    WelI... I didn't include those sales because this forum is called CR-V vs Escape. But if it makes you feel better, again no July sales included:

Tribute - YTD sales of 22,370 compared with 20,583 in 2004 +8.7%

Mariner - YTD sales of 16,552 compared with 0 in 2004

FYI - I own both a Honda CR-V and a Mazda 6. I love them both.
    ...I see no reason to pay the extra $$$ for a perceived reliaiblity/quality advantage...

I don't see how Escape is cheaper than CR-V. When comparing apples to apples:

Loaded CR-V SE (no options) = $23,985

Loaded Escape Limited (no options) = $25,128 even with employee pricing and rebates.

Escape is $1000 more, plus the hidden costs of ownership, and faster depriciation rate. I just hope you are not a financial advisor, because you would give people a very misinformed financial advice.
    Again? I have posted numerous times with real data how a CR-V will cost less than a similarly equipped Escape. Now someone else has as well. Real numbers and real data mean nothing to some people here.
    blueie... carsdirect is not a good place to get a price on an escape. maybe it is for a crv.
    You could compare the numbers using True Market Value.

Steve, Host
    due to prices being posted for individual vehicles, i just went right right to the source. other than that i would have gone to tmv. when i bought my focus in may last year, i did look into carsdirect. their price was way off.
    blueie... carsdirect is not a good place to get a price on an escape. maybe it is for a crv.

Of course Carsdirect wouldn't be a good place, it weakens the argument. I always bought cars under the carsdirect/TMV price. But, for the sake of argument, I chose the "no haggle" source. Just to clarify, I paid lots less for the CR-V than Carsdirect and Edmunds' TMV price. But, I am a haggler, most people are not.

Since we are on Edmunds here is TMV, I am sure you will find a reson to knock down Edmunds as well.

Ford Escape Limited (I added sunroof and indash 6 cd changer, which I forgot to do first time around) $26,662
    Even without the sunroof and the CD changer, it is $25,525

Honda CR-V SE (no options offered, comes with Sunroof and in-dash 6 disc changer) $24,636

This is not looking good for your argument. It is also interesting that Edmunds lists Escape with RAV4 in the Compact SUV's, while CR-V is listed along with Pilot, Lexus RX300 and Highlander in Midsize SUV's.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "This is not looking good for your argument. It is also interesting that Edmunds lists Escape with RAV4 in the Compact SUV's, while CR-V is listed along with Pilot, Lexus RX300 and Highlander in Midsize SUV's."

The CR-V just scrapes into the midsize category due to interior volume...
  • fredddfreddd Member Posts: 14
    I have been burned by domestic car quality issues several times in my life, so I'd have to be mighty impressed to get something from one of the big three. I tried the grand cherokee and the escape hybrid before buying a CR-V. Grand Cherokee is actually smaller inside than the CR-V and gets about 7 mpg less. Also has a much more involved maint. schedule. Escape hybrid was OK, but costs way too much to justify buying it. It would take 10 years for the electric motor to pay for itself. Unless you tow something, the V6 is totally unneccesary.
    since ford is posting prices on their website, i just went there. i have no argument, just facts.
  • meescapemeescape Member Posts: 1
    I believe you have a bad source for prices. Paid 23,045 for 2005 Limited with sunroof, with 6-CD changer 9 days ago (Atlanta, GA). Hondas are good cars, but the lack of a V-6, leather options sent me to the Escape. Could not be happier!
    again in my region CRV's are more option for option. I will list again in todays paper what is available. . If you want phone numbers please e-mail me. Anyone who has actually shopped the car market knows, Honda dealerships don't deal. You pay or you walk.
    Damerow Ford, 1 example 2005 Escape XLS 4WD VIN#D51577, $18,325.
    Thomason Honda 2WD LX Element $17,499
    Courtesy Ford 2005 Escape Limited 4x4 $22,379.76 #E48163 "11 more to choose from"
    Landmark Ford Limited Escape 4x4 $24,535, XLT 4x4 sport $21,725, another at 22,281, XLT 4x4 V6 $20, 929.. They have a pretty sizeable list here in the paper with mulitple listings to choose from.
    2005 CRV LX 2WD for $19,188! This is at Ron Tonkin Honda 2 to choose from Want VIN's? e-mail me an let me know or phone #'s. I may have crossed the line already giving Dealership names.. Choice is nice and Ford offers more choices, Trim levels and colors than Honda does also...
    6 reviews under Escape now up above and just .1 behind the CRV...