Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    "Anyone who has car shopped knows Honda dealers don't deal. You pay what they want or on your way you go."

Every Honda dealer everywhere? Then how do you account for this (#2936) john_f, "Honda CR-V: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #2936, 26 Feb 2006 6:15 am or the literally hundreds of other similar posts here on this site?

People are paying below MSRP, some even below invoice (gasp!) for their Honda vehicle. Is that considered a deal?

Your statement is not true.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    Last June I paid $22,050 for my CR-V EX, not including TTL. This was approx $150 below invoice and was in the local ballpark with an Escape, considering the Ford had a rebate. But here's the thing -- Honda's are fairly priced, considering their standard features and their ability to retain value. I'd say the diff between a great deal and a lousy deal on a CR-V is, maybe, $1500. But with rebates, Escape buyer A may pay $5,000 more than Escape buyer B for a similar vehicle. And if I decided to sell my CR-V in three years, I'd recover a nice chunk of the purchase price. In a nutshell, that's what has driven American buyers away from domestic brands. On a domestic, it can be hard to answer the question, "Am I paying too much?"
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Anyone who has car shopped knows Honda dealers don't deal. You pay what they want or on your way you go.

Yeah...about that...you're wrong. Sorry, that's not just my opinion...that fact is completely false and untrue.

How did I get into an Accord for $1,800 off of sticker? Magic?

My family has had 16 Hondas since 1990, and I'll tell you honestly that ALL of them were "dealt" on. Even our CR-V when bought in Nov. 2001 (2002 model, very popular) was bought for $18,000 OTD. (LX 2WD).
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " don't know if that's the "real world", but here's a little tidbit I found in my email this morning... it's from the local auction:

HONDA
    99 CR-V EX 2.0L I4 4DR BLACK 219,418 Miles $4,300 AC CC PB PL PST PW
    JHLRD1762X Consignment Sale

Speechless, I remain,
    -m "
    Get out a little on the net and read the papers.

Grand Honda
    Elmhurst, IL

....................................Selling Price........MSRP

'06 CR-V 4WD SE AT.........$23000...........$25450

'06 CR-V 4WD EX AT.........$21500...........$23750

'06 CR-V 2WD LX AT.........$18500...........$20395

All sales add T,T,L and $57.33 doc fee
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    St Johns Honda
    CRV 4WD EX automatic $22,395
    Honda Pilot LX 4WD auto $26,295
    Accord VP 4door auto $17,981

Beaverton Honda
    Accord VP $17,697
    Accord LX V6 - $23,147
    CRV EX 2WD - $21,387

Gresham Honda

Accord LX v6 $23,188
    Ridgeline RTS 4x4 automatic $27,688!! ouch!
    Pilot EX 4x4 automatic $28,488

Thomason Honda
    CRV LX 4x2 $19488
    CRV LX 4x4 $20,544

Landmark Ford
    Escape 4x2 $14,777
    Explorer XLT for $25,477

Premier Mazda
    Tribute 4x4 $16,299
    Mazda 6 loaded $15,888

Hillsboro Jeep
    Liberty sport 4x4 $19995

Courtesy Ford
    F250 4x4 $21,914

Premier Nissan
    Xterra S $20042
    Pathfinder SE 4x4 27,996
    Altima 2.5 S $17,735
    I can go on all day with this posting like vehicles out of the papers. Even Honda adertised prices for leaders and "on sale" vehicles is higher! I even included other brands of like vehicles to show you Honda's are more expensive upfront! Get it now? You better have good resale you paid more at purchase.
    By the way I bought my Escape XLT 4x4 V6 with tow package, nerf bars, A/C, electric seats, tinted glass, electric windows/locks, Key FOB, pretty nicely loaded for $21,800 in 2001. Granted, I had a $500 dollar check from Ford so the actual price was $22,300. I also got 3 years 0% APR. Mine is paid for.. not many 01 CRV owners can say they paid for thier vehicles in 3 years.. :P
    Mine is paid for.. not many 01 CRV owners can say they paid for thier vehicles in 3 years..

That's interesting, because my parents bought theirs for cash. They just save up for the (small) difference in resale and their next new car and pay cash.
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    I guess I'm one who doesn't consider A/C and PW and PL to be anything special. My SE came standard with a 5 speed automatic, leather, front, side and curtain airbags, power moonroof, 6 disc CD changer, 4wd, traction control, and stability control. Some of those things you can't get on an Escape (5 speed automatic, stability or traction control) and most of them you have to pay extra for (4wd, moonroof, side and curtain airbags, 6 disc CD changer). I got mine at invoice for $23,800. So an extra $1500 got me all of that PLUS better gas mileage, safety features, reliabilty and resale. I'll take it.

:blush:
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Wow, you must have spent quite some time going through the paper and typing in the information, I'm impressed. Can you also include VIN numbers along with all the listed options of those vehicles?
    I have proven this over and over again.
    Honda's are more $$$ upfront. I have shown you that even other makes are less expensive than Honda's. This is no secret either. Get out on the net and visit some other car/chat rooms. I even included other brands like Nissan, Mazda to show you that Honda's are thousands more across the board. These were even advertised "sale" prices at Honda dealers with only 1 available. I would sure hate to see the person who got talked into paying even more when at the dealer for a Honda. Heck! even Toyota's are less expensive! what is up with this? want me to list these too? Another person also posted the Honda almighty dealer syndrome. You pay what they want or walk.. This won't last for long Honda fans. People are starting to figure out you don't need a silver "H" to have a great quality reliabile vehicle.
    You pay what they want or walk.. This won't last for long Honda fans. People are starting to figure out you don't need a silver "H" to have a great quality reliabile vehicle.

Funny, in 17 cases, we've never paid sticker or close to it, like you mentioned before. Not even on in-demand vehicles like our new Odyssey (2000 - waited 3 months), or our 2002 CR-V (bought in Fall of 2001, one of the first 3 at the dealership). Perhaps your area (I don't know where) is different from us here in the Southeast?
    Geez, drom. They brainwashed you good over at the Honda dealer, didn't they!
    Apparently his area is different from everywhere.

Funny thing is that his area is one where the Asian imports have a pretty big foothold. It's not true, but if it was true that Honda vehicles were more expensive than the equivalent Ford, why are Honda vehicles selling so well? Must be that "little silver H".
    Don't forget the brainwashing we're all under. You know, if they hadn't brainwashed my parents back in the eighties, I might not have gotten 158,000 miles out of an Accord (still going w/only a rattle in the trunk) with only $220 in total lifetime repairs. God bless the cult?
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    Thanks for more of the smoke screen, again this is CR-V vs. Escape, not Mazda, or Jeep, or Nissan. You got the Honda price, but no price for a comparable Escape.

Interestingly though, your own purchase does confirm the point: CRV-EX $22395 - Escape XLT $21800 = $595. Was not, is not, and probably never will be THOUSANDS more for the Honda.
    scape2 said:Ridgeline RTS 4x4 automatic $27,688!! ouch!

Ouch? I thought Honda NEVER dealt with people, or lowered their prices. That's nearly $3,000 off of sticker price. You kind of shot yourself in the foot with that one.
    scape2 had a price quoted ofPilot EX 4x4 automatic $28,488

Nope, Honda doesn't deal. $2k-$3k off of sticker apparently doesn't count for Hondas; just Fords. (The EX 4WD lists for more thatn $31k with destination.
    scape2: Explorer XLT for $25,477

That's the same size discount as the Pilot had, no?

Geez, I should never have gotten robbed at my Honda dealer...it was just as bad as Ford!
    Get out on the net and visit some other car/chat rooms...This won't last for long Honda fans. People are starting to figure out you don't need a silver "H" to have a great quality reliabile vehicle.

I guess I didn't know what people said in chat rooms affected the bottom line, because right now, Ford is layin' and cuttin', while Honda is laughing all the way to the bank, bilking people out of untold millions just for the silver 'H'! Get out on the net and look at the sales figures for the past couple years!

:P
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    You are not posting real world prices here. I have posted over and over again car ads from dealerships in my area. I am not allowed to post dealership names. I have however posted VIN#'s and asked for people, if they wanted a dealership number to e-mail me.

Since when www.carsdirect.com i snot real world prices? Carsdirect offers no hassle pricing, which is a bit higher than one can negotiate, but they ARE REAL WORLD PRICES that anyone can buy at without any limitations.

Carsdirect's business model is to sell cars, not to provide information about cars but to sell them. They used to deliver them to your house on a flatbed, but now you have to go to a local dealership to sign the papers and take delivery. If carsdirect is not real prices, what is?

Come up with a better argument.
    how much would a civic 4 door cost with following features?
    power moonroof, heated seats/mirrors, alloy rims, unidirectional tires, abs, rear anti-sway bar, power windows, doors, locks, auto locking doors, remote entry(keyfob), factory alarm, am/fm/cd/mp3, tilt/telescope steering wheel, intermient wipers, cruise control, remote trunk release, split folding rear seat, 5yr/100k powertrain warranty, pzev rated engine. pic posted on carspace. 13k + doc + ttl.
    i don't think the escape can do as well as when compared to a cr-v.

NEWly redesigned 2006 Honda Civic EX 4 door, $18,610 (add $800 for 5 spd slush box, add $1500 for NAvigation system)

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 ST, designed circa 1999, $14,505 after a $2500 rebate. Add moonroof $544, add indash 6 cd mp3 player $350, add side impact air bags $305, add traction control $100, for a total of $15,802 No VTEC, no resale, designed in 1990's with minor cosmetic updates.

The outgoing Civic, which was still more up to date than the 2006 Focus was selling for $11 (DX) - $14K (EX)

You can get a 1999 Civic for under $6000 these days. That would be a direct comparison to the 2006 Ford Focus.

I have given my exmple of Ford vs. Honda in the compact scene. Here it is again.

I bought a 2002 Honda Civic Si for $14,500
    She bought a 2002 Ford Focus SE for $15,000

I financed at 1.9% APR for 60 months.
    She financed at 0% APR for 60 months.

I sold mine in 2005 for $12,500, pay off was $8500. I had a cool $4000 in my pocket.
    She sold hers in 2005 for $7000 and bareley broke even on the loan (she had to add a couple hundred dollars to pay it off).

Show me anyone able to sell their Ford Focus, or Escape for that matter for 86% of the original value after 3 years.
    By the way I bought my Escape XLT 4x4 V6 with tow package, nerf bars, A/C, electric seats, tinted glass, electric windows/locks, Key FOB, pretty nicely loaded for $21,800 in 2001. Granted, I had a $500 dollar check from Ford so the actual price was $22,300. I also got 3 years 0% APR. Mine is paid for.. not many 01 CRV owners can say they paid for thier vehicles in 3 years..

I got you beat there. Paid $20,500 for a 2005 CR-V EX, financed at 2.9% APR for 60 months.

I had a 2001 CR-V, I was able to sell it for a good chunk of change, even after it was stolen and recovered, mine is paid off as well, plus I had $6000 in my pocket.

Now your turn.
    Go out there and try selling your 2001 Escape. You will be lucky if you get $8000 for it.

2001 CR-V's generally sell in $10K-$12K.

:shades:
    it!

"2001 CR-V's generally sell in $10K-$12K. " show me where? I see these advertised for about 10K in auto Traders... Once again over doing yourself.

My whole point here was to show you that even other car brands other than Ford are less than Honda's. Anyone that takes the time to read through and has the sense to compare the daily advertised specials from dealers will see this.

Another one.. At Beaverton Honda... A 2WD CRV EX for $21,387.. This is a 2WD..

2006 Mazda Tribute at Premier Mazda is $16,299 and this is a 4WD 2.3 4cyl model, spoiler, side air bags, "many factory options" .. 4WD Honda fans.. This IS thousands less ;)

You can keep quoting all the Ford woes and layoffs. I know this is happening and to me its sad to see an American ICON with so much American history be constantly beat down by the media. Honda is not American what ever you say. Henry Ford was an American and built an auto industry and has a history here in the United States and with its people. Next I'll here "New world economy" Yep, tell me how you feel when you have your job outsourced, or you get laid off. Don't get me started either on the Honda plants... I've been to one.. and ask me where the tooling comes from.. please....
    Now.. back to CRV vs Escape....
    You forget.. Owned an Accord in 2000. It was an LX automatic. Bought it for I believe it was about 18K.. Tried to sell it in 04.. No dealership would give me more than 9K for it!?? In fact my Honda dealer manager friend would give me 10K for it because he was a friend.. Explain to me how great this resale is again>>??? :confuse:
    Explorer XlT for 25,477, Pilot was over 28K.. Both optioned pretty much the same.. There is a 3K difference to have that silver "H"...
    2006 Mazda Tribute at Premier Mazda is $16,299 and this is a 4WD 2.3 4cyl model, spoiler, side air bags, "many factory options" .. 4WD Honda fans.. This IS thousands less

Of course it's thousands less. It has a hamster for an engine! No one buys those things except for fleets. The only reason Ford makes them is so they can use false advertising to fool their customers.

:P

PS - Henry Ford was no hero of mine because he was a bona fide racist. THAT'S a fact...

:surprise:
    Sidebar about Henry Ford:

He was senile, racist, and too stubborn to remain as competitve as he could have in the twenties. Instead of building a better product (than the model T), he just lowered prices, over, and over, until profit margins were incredibly slim and his profits as a whole had dropped a lot.

I recently read a short biography on the man; it actually said that his r&d team made many improvements to the Model T while (Henry) Ford was away from the plant. When he returned, they hoped to surprise Henry with their many improvements. Upon his return, he smashed the car to bits, ripping it apart piece by piece.

How much has changed?
    In the Pilot EX cloth 4WD vs. Explorer XLT 4WD, here are some differences in features:

Info is from FORD'S compare feature

Explorer - no standard third row; extra cost removable third row available; Pilot standard seats 8 with fold-flat third row

Explorer - 80 watt 4 speaker CD player; Pilot - 7 speaker 6-CD changer standard

Explorer - 210 hp, Pilot 244 hp

Explorer - combined F.E. 17 MPG, Pilot 19.5 MPG

Explorer - 6 way power seat; Pilot 8-way

Explorer - Manual, single zone A/C; Pilot - Automatic Climate Control

This isn't worth $3k to everyone, but add in the differences in quality, and it wins me over. Sorry bud.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    My own recent personal experience, after owning a 2003 CR-V for 2.5 years, was that the Escape is in no way the equal of the CR-V. The fit and finish is not to the same standard, it does not handle as well, and it feels smaller, especially in the rear seats and cargo area. When driving, I felt it needed VSC; it was more tippy than the CR-V, even at slow speeds. Plus, the ride was worse, and Honda is known for their firm rides.

I was driving the Escape Hybrid, just for reference.

The Escape does have a lot more front driver legroom. And it tows more (as a V6, not the Hybrid). Plus I suppose one could add the Navigation option, not available on the US-model CR-V. I prefer the styling of the Escape - rather classic, IMHO. Otherwise, every comparison area goes to the CR-V.

Overall? Not even close - CR-V.

I'm not anti-Ford; I bought a Ford over the Honda Pilot.
    Henry Ford was an American and built an auto industry and has a history here in the United States and with its people. Next I'll here "New world economy" Yep, tell me how you feel when you have your job outsourced, or you get laid off.

As far as I know Henry Ford hated Jews and Blacks, if that is your definition of outstanding American, I am sorry but I have to disagree.

Whether you like it or not, the world economy is already here. The only difference is that my line of work is beig created here by the foreign companies (Honda, Toyota, L'Oreal, Haier, Hyundai, Nissan, Wacker, BASF, Omron...), while the domestics only care about preserving the wealth of the highly paid excutives (GM, Ford, Crysler, Delphi, Zenith...) while completley destroying the middle class.

I hav nothing against globalization, we can;t shut outr selves down and pretend that we can stand alone in this world. If you think that, might as well build a cabin in the woods, grow a long and wild beard...

I buy what has the best value for the dollar. If Ford, or domestic auto makers can provide the best value for my dollar I would buy it. Kia and other koreans are cheap, but I would not buy thei product either until they make it a quality product. They learned how to make electronics, GoldStar was just as good or better than Sony, but cost less. My parents still have GoldStar microwave that they bought in early 90's.

As far as job outsourcing, that has nothing to do with you and I. It has to do with the corporate mentality, where they only see as far as their nose. They only care whether they make the numbers this quater or this year, nothing more. Their multi-million dollar bonuses depend on the short term goals, rather than long term. Whether you keep buying substandard product in a foolish belief that you can save them, they will just get more greedy and still outsource work where it is cheaper. I would rather not support such behavior at all. At least I know that when I buy a Honda product, the CEO is not getting multi-million bonuses, but rather a fixed salary and a moderate bonus. If Ford and GM are doing so bad, why are the top managers still getting bonuses? I thought the idea of tha bonus was to reward good work and effective management. They have not accomplished either, why give them bonuses. I completley refuse to support that.

Good day.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    We just leased an '06 Explorer XLT. Your differences are correct on paper but not in the real world.

Explorer - no standard third row; extra cost removable third row available; Pilot standard seats 8 with fold-flat third row
    Ours has the 50/50 split third row fold-flat seats.

Explorer - 80 watt 4 speaker CD player; Pilot - 7 speaker 6-CD changer standard
    We got the 290 watt audiophile stereo with 7 speakers (one is a subwoofer) and 6 disc CD/MP3 changer which is also Sirius ready.

Explorer - 210 hp, Pilot 244 hp

Explorer - combined F.E. 17 MPG, Pilot 19.5 MPG

Can't change those but the Explorer does have more torque at a lower RPM. I have no problem with either the fuel mileage or the power from the V6. My father-in-law has an '06 EB V8 and loves the extra power from the detuned Mustang engine but the fuel mileage is pretty bad. I'm curious to see if it gets better over time as most engines do.

Explorer - 6 way power seat; Pilot 8-way
    6 is standard and is also 4 more than my wife or I need.

Explorer - Manual, single zone A/C; Pilot - Automatic Climate Control
    ACC is one thing I longed for but we couldn't find one equipped with it and the other options we wanted. The Mountaineer has it standard IIRC. It may also have the 8-way seat standard too.

We also opted for the rear DVD system, running boards, auto dimming mirror, auto headlamps, door mounted keyless entry system, and roof rack cross rails. Sticker was $34,505 but after X-Plan and rebates we paid $28,660. Plus Ford paid the first payment and waived the security deposit making the up front fees a good bit lower than usual.

We looked at the Pilot and MDX and were not overly impressed with either one. Not enough to drop everything and buy one on the spot anyway but they were definitely in the running and are nice too. Since we owned a problematic Honda in the past the quality thing is out the window. Then adding the necessary (Wife, not me) DVD player to the Pilot (I won't do aftermarket) required adding a bunch of other stuff we didn't want to pay for. Sticker for one with DVD is over $34k and I guarantee they wouldn't get close to the price of the Explorer even without our X-Plan. In fact, the lowest lease payment I was quoted was $60 per month more than the Explorer and that was just a cloth EX. I hadn't even asked them about the DVD yet.

In the end the Pilot wasn't worth the extra dollars and our choice actually came down to the Explorer or a minivan. The new Explorer is pretty darn nice and we're very happy with it.
    I realize that many of the features are just extra convenience or luxury features, that not everyone will see the need for. It kind of goes both ways there, though, as I see no need to buy a DVD player for $1,600 when one can be had with 2 screens for $200.

The point is, whether the extra features affect you or not, they are still not standard on the Explorer which scape was quoting (and my reason for that post), which makes up the price difference and then some. Keep in mind that I was referring to "Standard features", which is what most newspaper ad price-leaders have, and little else. I could have mentioned the EX-L Pilot with Navi, but that wouldn't be standard EX features; Just as you added features to your Explorer, even more upgrades can be made to the Pilot as well.

Also, I agree that the Explorer V-6 has ample power around town, as good or better than the Pilot below 2,500 RPM. When passing on the highway though, the Pilot ran away from the Explorer.

On an end note, the styling of the newest Explorers is much improved over the bland 2002-2005 models; I wish the Mountaineer had improved its look, and Ford as a whole had improved the interior quality to a higher standard; the features are there, now add in better overall fit/finish while keeping the low price and you'd have a complete package.

;) Congrats on the Explorer, baggs!
    It kind of goes both ways there, though, as I see no need to buy a DVD player for $1,600 when one can be had with 2 screens for $200.
    I hear ya! Wasn't my choice though. The wife actually gave up heated leather and a moonroof for that DVD player. I love our boys too but come on! ;)

The point is, whether the extra features affect you or not, they are still not standard on the Explorer which scape was quoting (and my reason for that post), which makes up the price difference and then some. Keep in mind that I was referring to "Standard features", which is what most newspaper ad price-leaders have, and little else.

Point taken. I think I misread something along the way and tried to show that you can get an Explorer with more features for less money. Sorry for any confusion.

Also, I agree that the Explorer V-6 has ample power around town, as good or better than the Pilot below 2,500 RPM. When passing on the highway though, the Pilot ran away from the Explorer.

Agreed. We don't do too much highway driving though and passing power is just fine from the V6 IMO. I have to say, I feel more confident passing in the Explorer than I did in the Escape.

I wish the Mountaineer had improved its look, and Ford as a whole had improved the interior quality to a higher standard; the features are there, now add in better overall fit/finish while keeping the low price and you'd have a complete package.

I agree on the Mountaineer but not on the interior of both. The Explorer's interior is very nice and put together very well save for a poorly placed door handle or two. In fact, it is so unbelievably quiet and rattle/squeak free inside that I still can't believe I'm driving a mainstream Ford. Some of the dash materials could be softer but they don't look cheap and all of the places you rest your hands or arms are padded which is nice. For comparison, everything in the Escape was cold and hard.
    Did I wander onto the wrong message forum?
    Did I wander onto the wrong message forum?

This is what you pick out? At least it was about a vehcle vs. another vehicle and not the world economy or Henry Ford's view of society! ;)

BTW, how's that Freestyle? I tried and tried to get my wife to go for one over the Explorer but she wouldn't budge. Too "station wagon" for her. :sick:
    Those who preach the unreliability and the vast reliabitliy advantage of the CRV.. you really need to go check MSN reliability data AND Where they get thier data from.. Then.. go check out the 01 CRV with its well know valve seat issues in the engine.. Hmm.. kind of wonder why you don't hear about this in the media??.. And then go check out and see how the Escape compares to the CRV for model years 02, 03, 04, 05... Gee, wonder why you don't hear this in the media?? Then.. go check other Honda vehicles and past years reliability.. I really have to wonder why you don't hear any of this in the media.. There is media bias/bashing against Ford/GM.. Here is living proof!
    let me guess... your not going to believe it.. Of course you won't..
    Like I keep saying get out on the net. Escapes/Tribs/Mariners are reliable and quality built vehicles... :P
    mean to do all this underlining stuff.. oops... :blush:
    May I ask what you are responding to? Who has preached about the quote "vast reliability" advantage?

No biggie about underlining...I mess that kind of thing up a lot.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    BTW - you do have 30 minutes from the time you post to edit a message.

tidester, host
    Then.. go check out the 01 CRV with its well know valve seat issues in the engine.. Hmm.. kind of wonder why you don't hear about this in the media??

You conviniently forgot to mention that Honda paid either full or partially for all those repairs even though the vehicles were way outside of the 3 years, 36,000 mile warranty. And the federal government did not have to get involved and twist Honda's arm with a recall to get them to pay for it.

So, Honda did stand by its product. That is what really counts. Can Ford say the same?
    "BTW, how's that Freestyle? I tried and tried to get my wife to go for one over the Explorer but she wouldn't budge. Too "station wagon" for her."

The Freestyle is great. Too bad about your wife. The FS is 10" longer and 3" wider than an Explorer, and about 5" less tall. You don't have to climb into it. It has no stability control because it has a low center of gravity, yet it has the SUV "command seating" position - you can really see the road. It has 22 cu ft behind the third row of seats, and the third row actually can seat adults. If you look carefully, you'll find that Ford raised the roofline over the third seats. And all seats are "stadium"; each row is a bit higher than the last row.

It has a very good rollover rating (about 1/2 as likely to roll as an Explorer), and 5 star safety ratings in all areas. I have curtain airbags in all seating positions. According to insurance studies, it has a much lower than average injury rating, better than the Explorer.

The car is built like a tank; solid and smooth on the road. Plus it gets about 26 MPG on the highway, 20 MPG in town (approx. so far - I have only 2K miles on mine).

The only thing an Explorer does better is tow - the FS only tows 2000 lbs.

I think Ford doesn't advertise the Freestyle because if they did the Explorer sales would really tank.
    scape-
    I can't speak to the magazines & websites. I only know that the four Hondas I have owned have been very reliable and high quality. That is the reason I like Hondas; first hand experience, not hearsay.

BTW, those Hondas have also had a fair amount of road noise, and have ridden fairly hard - but they cornered and stopped well. Hondas are engineered for performance and reliability. They do have to be maintained well, like all cars.
    Apparently someone still believes there is a media conspirancy to keep Honda's "issues" from the public.

I read a fair amount of newspapers and certainly news on the internet. Seems to me that if there is something newsworthy related to Honda I read it. Same for Ford, GM ,etc. IIWM I'd stop trying to blame some vast conspiracy (is someone's paranoia showing?) and concentrate on the quality, reliability, price etc. of the vehicle (or brand).

So if Honda vehicles cost "thousands" more than a comparable Ford, what does it say when someone buys their Honda for below invoice? Tells me it must be a screaming bargain. And since everyone loves a bargain feel free to visit your local Honda dealer to get yours ;).

hondachef2006, "Honda CR-V: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #2975, 21 Mar 2006 6:46 pm
    Apparently someone still believes there is a media conspirancy to keep Honda's "issues" from the public...IIWM I'd stop trying to blame some vast conspiracy (is someone's paranoia showing?) and concentrate on the quality, reliability, price etc. of the vehicle (or brand).

I think the real conspiracy is no one can seem to locate these Hondas which cost thousands more. They're kinda like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster. I'd be interested to see either these Hondas or Big Foot, since all I have is a CR-V on which I saved about $1500 over a comparable Escape.

;)
  • baccibacci Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

Just left a Ford dealer who informed me of a $1000. discount on an Escape if I financed through Ford Credit. Can anyone enlighten me why Ford would discount 1K on the vehicle for financing with them? What's the angle?

Thanks,
    Bacci :confuse:
    What's the interest rate? If it's anything more than 1 or 2 % they'll likely make money with you financing through them.
    Ford Credit was what really kept Ford afloat last year. They weren't making any money on their vehicles, but the Credit portion was making money on financing. The problem with their Credit arm is it has received "junk bond" status, just as the rest of FMC. For all the talk of a "Honda conspiracy", you sure don't hear much about this, do ya???

:confuse:
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I see that Ford has started to run their 0% / 5yr deal on both the Escape and Freestyle, but you also get a 5yr/100k Powertrain warrenty (not a B2B).

Odie
    But its ok because its a Honda right? Point here is people and media have been preaching and preaching how reliable Honda products are. However, with the internet you cannot hide information. As I have said. Get out on the net visit chat rooms. There are plenty of peeved off Honda owners around. Just find it funny how this valve seat issue never made it to the media.
    Case in point.. I have been a Motor Trend subscriber for over 20 years now. Another subscriber wrote in and complained about the constant GM/Ford bashing and personal comments of the writers. I also wrote an e-mail that pointed out just 4 of the many in this last issue. Also how the 07 Camry had no flaws??!! no duragatory comments..
    Media bias is there...