Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Right, it (timing belt replacement) isn't cheap...somewhere between $300 and $400 with water pump and labor. Lucky for me, it wasn't my car when this was done, but my grandmother's. She gave it to me shortly thereafter on my 15th Bday as a gift.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ok Varmint, you qualify. :shades:

Now, what was your TCO for those 7 years?

Steve, Host
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Hmmm... lemme see...

$500 because I was dumb and got the distributor wet while cleaning out the engine bay. (Off-roading in the mud suddenly got expensive.)

2 new sets of wiper blades. What do those go for?

5 new tires. (4 replaced when they wore out. 1 replaced due to a gash in the sidewall.) I think those tires ran about $77 each.

Oil changes every 4-5K miles. Call it 25 changes at approx $33 bucks per change... $825.

I'd have to check my receipts for the cost of brake pad replacement. I changed the rear diff fluid twice. Plus air filters and other scheduled maintenance.

I averaged 25+ mpg over the life of the vehicle, so I probably killed about 4,560 dinosaurs. The price of dino juice has varied over the years, but if we used today's prices (my area) we're looking at 11,628 freakin' dollars.

Bought the rig for $19,500.

That doesn't include the costs for the two rear-enders as those were covered by insurance.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Toyota has been in the market for what? A decade?

Roughly, yes. About how long Hyundai has been in any market and look at them now. Like I said, it doesn't take long anymore. Why do you think everyone is so worried about China now?

And Toyota would bring the total number of competitors in the field to four. The number of nameplates in the mid-size sedan market is something like three or four times that of the big truck market. And that market has been competitive since the dawn of the automobile.

The number of competitors in the mid-size car market is so big because companies like Ford and GM have multiple entries. The margin isn't so wide when you look at it that way.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Roughly, yes. About how long Hyundai has been in any market and look at them now. Like I said, it doesn't take long anymore. Why do you think everyone is so worried about China now?

Hyundai has been selling in the US for 20 years now. Anyone remember Hyundai Excel? What a POS it was.

The best they can do so far is to copy Accord's rear end and Camry's front end styling and call it their bread and butter warrior.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    The best they can do so far is to copy Accord's rear end and Camry's front end styling and call it their bread and butter warrior.

And they do it at a significantly lower price point, with a longer warranty, etc.

What exactly does a car from 20 years ago have to do with the brand today? Isn't that what many say here about domestic products? 20 (actually probably 30 or more) people said similar things about Honda vehicles.

Hyundai, IMHO is a formidable competitor to Honda.
    Back to topic.

From an article in USA Today. I guess those Hybrids aren't moving.

Last week, Ford announced nationwide zero-percent financing for its Escape Hybrid sport-utility vehicle. Mazda is offering an 0.9% annual percentage rate on some of its models, Toprak says.
    From an article in USA Today. I guess those Hybrids aren't moving.

Part of that article should have been about the Highlander Hybrid as well. Both it and the Escape Hybrid appear to be too high priced for many consumers right now and the incentives are starting to kick in. It was only a matter of time.
    265 HP!

Note it's on regular 87 too. No mention that it will appear in the Escape as usual.
    The article was about how to save money in an era of rising interest rates. It wasn't about Hybrids. USA Today used Ford and Mazda's low rates as an example of how you can still find low rates.

AFAIK Toyota isn't offering zero percent financing on any model.
    I thought you were referring to this USA Today article. Posting a link would have helped. ;)

AFAIK Toyota isn't offering zero percent financing on any model.

No they're not and I never said they were actually.
    OT: You mentioned "incentives" so I thought you were saying there were incentives on the Highlander Hybrid (which there might be).

Speaking of Hybrids, found this one:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060413/auto_show_hybrids.html?.v=2

Seems you are right, the larger hybrids aren't selling. Buyers don't think they save enough. While the Civic Hybrid sales are up and now account for 8 percent of total Civic sales, Honda may cut production of the Accord Hybrid.
    OT (Somewhat)

I find it interesting that someone keeps shouting to "buy American" yet doesn't think buying a "foreign" brand produced in the U.S. helps our economy.

Well "buying American" didn't help these people keep their jobs.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060413/ford_plant_closures.html?.v=8
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Some of you may be interested in these discussion:

Buying American Cars: What Does It Mean?

What will it take for consumers to buy American brands??

Let's stick with discussing the vehicles themselves here and leave the broader questions to those other forums.

tidester, host
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,303
    speaking of insurance, i wonder how it compares between the 2. everyone knows which two i am referencing.
    the escape, as a daily driver, 14 mile one way commute is less than my same year focus, also a daily driver commute distance the same.
    with all these owners that are concerned about 0-60, maybe they can try to get on an episode of 'PINKS'. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Let's stick with discussing the vehicles themselves here and leave the broader questions to those other forums.

I hope this qualifies. Good thing they still don't use the slogan "Safety is Job 1".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060413/ap_on_bi_ge/ford_recall_1
    Good thing they still don't use the slogan "Safety is Job 1".

I thought that was "Quality is Job 1." But if quality is "conformance to customer requirements" and customers require safety then I suppose they are synonymous. :)

tidester, host
    All that to protect people who DON'T wear their seatbelts? Nice. :sick:
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    Yes, but if Ford offered standard side and curtain airbags in their vehicles, this wouldn't be an issue.

:cry:
    Side curtains don't protect your head from the A-Pillar when you're not wearing a seatbelt. Not even in a Honda.
    That's not what the article says. It says they are only recalling Escapes which don't have curtain airbags. If the padding were a problem on vehicles which have curtain airbags, they would be recalling them, too, but they aren't.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    once again the Honda folks blow this way out of proportion.. did you even notice not one claim has even been filed? Ford is being pro-active and trying to show people they care about safety. Unlike Honda and it fire storm.. with the CRV fires.. they just swept this under the carpet..
    How can this be blown out of proportion? If they offered standard side curtain airbags like Honda does, this wouldn't be a problem. It's yet another area Ford hasn't been able to figure out. That's what happens when you only redesign your vehicles every 7 or 8 years (or more). You get a vehicle which is out of date, like the Escape.

;)
    I read my old 2002 Motor Trend today, and read the road test digest, which had acceleration numbers for both a 4Auto Escape V6 XLT, and an 4A CR-V EX. The Escape ran to 60 in 9.0 sec, and the CR-V did it in 8.9 sec (it was before the 5-spd auto, too). Just interesting, although somewhat irrelevant since they were 2001 and 2002 models.

So, it ISN'T just the manual CR-V that can outrun an Escape (or keep up with, anyway). The auto did then, and with the added gear, should now too.
    I read my old 2002 Motor Trend today, and read the road test digest, which had acceleration numbers for both a 4Auto Escape V6 XLT, and an 4A CR-V EX. The Escape ran to 60 in 9.0 sec, and the CR-V did it in 8.9 sec (it was before the 5-spd auto, too). Just interesting, although somewhat irrelevant since they were 2001 and 2002 models.

So, it ISN'T just the manual CR-V that can outrun an Escape (or keep up with, anyway). The auto did then, and with the added gear, should now too.

Thank you!

I am sure certain someone will just chuck it to the "Honda Conspiracy" anyway.
    That's not what the article says.

Yes it is. The sentence below is straight from the article.

Escapes without the side curtains have a harder material under the plastic trim piece and they need to soften it up for people who don't wear their seat belts. Furthermore the area in question can come into play in a frontal collision where the curtains won't even be deployed, standard or not.

"Ford said it encourages all drivers and passengers to wear seat belts and 'a belted occupant is not likely to contact the area of the vehicle that is in question.'"
    Wait!!!!

I was too late to edit my last post so I'll amend it here. Somewhere along this conversation line I jumped off track and skipped a post. My last post was in reference to my original and does not really refute anything you said.

So yes, standard side curtains would have made the recall unnecessary (maybe this will open their eyes and make is so for the next MY). Side curtains however, do not save an unbelted person from banging his/her head off of a part of the frame which is my argument. Since peple who wear their seat belts are unlikely to strike the area in question side curtains matter not in the injury side of the equation.

Hopefully that was clearer! ;)
    That data actually comes from a TruckTrend comparison test of the CR-V, Escape, Freelander, and RAV4. They are obviously sister magazines and share data.

In the TruckTrend article, they give the nod to the CR-V in terms of real world acceleration, as well measured tests. I don't have an exact quote, but they were talking about using the acceleration lane to merge onto a highway.

However, TT also did another comparo where they got 8.5 seconds out of a 4AT Escape. So, testing results will vary based on the vehicle and conditions.

Of course, in that 2nd comparo, they used a 5MT CR-V (good for 8.1 seconds) which was described as feeling like a V6.
    However, TT also did another comparo where they got 8.5 seconds out of a 4AT Escape. So, testing results will vary based on the vehicle and conditions.

Yes, but if it had anything to do with temp, the CR-V would have reflected a similar shift in numbers, since the CRV and Escape were tested together in the previously mentioned test (8.9, 9.0 sec). In like conditions, the CRV was a nip quicker.
    Here's another TCO link; The CR-V leads, but guess who's right behind?

Top 10 SUVs With the Lowest TCO for 2006

Steve, Host
    Seems to be a trend here, eh Steve?
    I'm sorry, the hatch over my head ... well, that may just be the deal clincher between these two. I just have minivans in my blood. :P

Steve, Host
    haha. I'm too tall and hit my head on our Odyssey's hatch all the time, so I'd be a side-door guy.
    There's also the problem of the balky hatch struts that don't work too good in cold weather, but it's been a while since the rear hatch has sagged and clunked my head.

I'm waiting for a sliding door that starts at the driver's door; that would save a lot of parking lot door dings.

I really don't understand the "winged" doors.

Steve, Host
    If more doors were winged fewer would get dinged? ;)

tidester, host
    If more doors were winged fewer would get dinged?

The winged doors are resented by the cars they have dented. ;)
    I'll resist the temptation to break into haiku! :shades:

tidester, host
    Ford is being pro-active and trying to show people they care about safety.

Did you read the article (this is rhetorical because obviously the answer is no)? Here is a quote from the article:

In government testing, NHTSA found that the SUVs had a head injury score along the driver's side roofline near the front pillar that was marginally above the maximum allowed under federal regulations.

Ford conducted its own testing and found "a significant compliance margin," but decided to conduct the recall "to avoid a protracted dispute with the agency," according to an April 3 letter to NHTSA.

Ford DISAGREES with the government's findings. They agreed to the recall "to avoid a protracted dispute with the agency". That is not being pro-active. Being pro-active is finding this problem in your own testing and voluntarily recalling your vehicles. That did not happen.

Once again the Ford folks are sweeping a serious safety problem with the Escape under the rug :sick: .
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    This sounds like a conspiracy! Let's call it the blue "F" syndrome.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    Uh oh, someone mentioned TCO in this forum. Time for scape to dust off his me and my buddy story again.
    He doesn't let that story gather dust.
    I'll resist the temptation to break into haiku!

Thanks, I could go all day like that, I love rhyming chats.

Ok, NOW I'm done. :)
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Funny how one person posts an 8.5 0-60 for the Escape, but no, its the 8.9 0-60 that all the Honda folks want to believe.. pretty ironic.. but typical. Its well known the CRV 5spd beats the Escape, once again.. when you redline the heck out of through each gear.. But once again, fail to mention that too....
    TCO.. does this include any rebates, low APR that Ford offers and Honda never offers?? If not I bet the Escapes TCO would be even lower than the CRV.. AND.. looks like the Escape isn't as unreliable and troublesome as Honda clan wants so badly for people to believe...
    Yeah, lets talk about sweeping things under the carpet. Can anyone say Combustable Recreational Vehicle... Honda did a great job in sweeping this under the carpet. Sure like how they changed the engine configuration.. in the 04 was it or 05? Get out on the net, there are still people having smelly issues..
    Recall.. yep, read the whole thing.. there isn't even one claim for any of these issues. Failed to mention that too.. :P
    How the TCO pencils out depends on the assumptions made. For example:

"We take into account widely available manufacturer to customer cash rebates on new cars, which may result in a lower net cost of ownership. However, we do not account for other types of cash rebates or incentives due to the variability in the offers as well as the eligibility rules for such offers."

About TCO explains it in detail.

The main thing is that our TCO tool is a is a comparative tool, not a predictive tool. So your individual numbers may be better but it's a good way to compare operating costs between two or more cars.

Steve, Host
    Its well known the CRV 5spd beats the Escape, once again.. when you redline the heck out of through each gear.. But once again, fail to mention that too....

How does the Escape get to 60 mph in a 0-60 test??? Do they not redline it, even though it makes max power at the redline? Are the magazines all in some sort of conspiracy against the Escape??? Also, what is the rev limit on the Escape? The CR-V doesn't have any problem "redlining through the gears", especially since in a 0-60 test, that would be two gears. Maybe this is just a Ford thing...

;)

PS - I guess I didn't realize a Duratec can't rev to the redline...if nothing else, someone should take Ford to court for false advertising. Does anyone know what the "real world" horsepower value for the Ford V6 is, since it sounds like 200 hp isn't really achievable??? Maybe that's why the i-VTEC outperforms it.

:P
    Once again the Ford folks are sweeping a serious safety problem with the Escape under the rug .

I wonder if Scape2 would consider that a conspiracy as well?
    Funny how one person posts an 8.5 0-60 for the Escape, but no, its the 8.9 0-60 that all the Honda folks want to believe.. pretty ironic.. but typical. Its well known the CRV 5spd beats the Escape, once again.. when you redline the heck out of through each gear.. But once again, fail to mention that too....

Even the AUTOMATIC CR-V beats Escape to 60.

Please define how Ford tests their vehicles in 0-60 mph tests. Do they only rev them to 3000 RPM? As far as I know EVERY 0-60 test involves revving the engine to the max If Ford is affraid to rev it to redline, maybe there is a reason to it? Parts start falling off?

Yeah, lets talk about sweeping things under the carpet. Can anyone say Combustable Recreational Vehicle... Honda did a great job in sweeping this under the carpet. Sure like how they changed the engine configuration.. in the 04 was it or 05?

Once again, Honda did not change any engine configurations. They changed gasket suppliers for the oil filters. The engines are still the same. They did add dirve by wire in 2005 to allow for Vehicle Stability Control (which Ford still does not offer), which is only done at the throttle body, not the part involved with the engine fires (improper oil filter installation).

Anyone, even with minimal technical knowledge, would understand the root causes of the problems discussed here.

It becomes pretty sensless to explain over and over again simple things, like double gasketing will cause a filter to leak oil. Leaking hot oil will catch on fire, regardless of the make and model.

Or that a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine outperforms a 3.0 liter V6 in every test, whether manual or auto, not because of some conspiracy, but because of its superior design.

It is difficult to explain that every acceleration test requires for the tester to wring the engine out. now whether the engine can take the beating and survive is another story. Honda seems to make engines that can be taken to the redline at 5000 miles or 300,000 miles.

If Escape such a great reliable car, why would one want to get out of it only 60,000 miles into it? People who own trouble free cars usually hang on to them for years. I still have my 1988 Honda Prelude, still starts and runs, even after sitting in the unheated garage through Buffalo winter, year after year. There are other people on this board with Hondas that have over 150,000-200,000 miles and still doing what are designed to do; start and run. Maybe they are part of the conpiracy too?

Have a good day, sir.
    Sure, ONE person got 8.5. Another source I've read cited it at 10.2 for the Auto V6 Escape (in a comparison test with Vue, Equinox, and Santa Fe - it was last in acceleration to all of these). I just got the numbers from the SAME source, so we'd know they were tested similarly (Car and Driver and Motor Trend use methods such as brake-torquing to help induce wheelspin and improve their numbers - on all automatics. Therefore, the CR-V and Escape would have been tested in similar manners, making the number much more easily and believeably compared.I sure hope that they were tested 0-60 at redline; both of them, because if not, it wouldn't be an acceleration test. It wouldn't be testing anything at all.

I'm not sure how you say Honda swept anything under the rug; our dealer was upfront with us and gave us no problems, buyuing back the car for $800 less than we paid for it new, and that was after 18 months and 35,000 miles. We were so satisfied, in fact, that we bought another Honda, and are now on number 17 or 18 since 1982.

Oh, and I don't think you want to use the word combustable; it's like throwing a stone from Ford's glass house.
    Yeah, lets talk about sweeping things under the carpet. Can anyone say Combustable Recreational Vehicle... Honda did a great job in sweeping this under the carpet. Sure like how they changed the engine configuration.. in the 04 was it or 05? Get out on the net, there are still people having smelly issues..

Wow.

Do you understand how a recall works? Do you think YOUR government would not recall a vehicle that had a design issue that caused it to catch on fire? The government investigated the CR-V for the fire issue and found no cause for a recall. Oh that's right, this goes back to your conspiracy theory. The US government deliberately did nothing about a vehicle from a Japanese company that bursts in to flames. Yeah right.

Unlike with the CR-V, the government investigated the Escape and found a reason to issue a recall. Who cares if no claims have been filed.

Ahhh, Denial.....
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Thanks, I could go all day like that, I love rhyming chats. "

Not that it's critical or anything, but the haiku poem form doesn't necessarily rhyme. Usually it doesn't. It's based on the number of lines and specific line formats.