Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Unlike with the CR-V, the government investigated the Escape and found a reason to issue a recall. Who cares if no claims have been filed.

Ahhh, Denial....."

So the source of denial is in Dearborn, not Ethiopia?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The Honda is good --
    Some think the Ford is better
    Small Differences.

:)

tidester, host
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I want to escape
    in my comfortable run
    about vehicle.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Sorry tidester, my vote goes to steve...
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    With a CR-V
    One can get better mileage
    And go faster too

Can't I play, too?
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    do you redline an automatic transmission? I have seen 0-60 times as high as 9.5 to 11.0 also for the CRV in other publications. Yet, of course, the Honda clan will believe the better times, the times that best the Escape... And discount the times that don't best the Escape..
    With a 5spd transmission you are able to better control the power band. Ever heard of redline through the gears? This is what you have to do to the CRV to attain these 0-60 numbers. I did it. There is no way you are going to get these numbers by just going through the gears in a tame manner..You will believe what you want to believe of course. Gee, kind of funny how the Escape, the vehicle that is supposed to be so unreliable and of lower quality comes in right behind the CRV by how many $$$?? Easily made up in low APR or incentives... I know my Escape has a lower TCO than an 01 CRV. I had %.9 financing.. and paid about $1000 less than a comparably equipped CRV at the time.. Honda never, ever offers low APR.. your costs are higher in financing everytime. I also paid my Escape off in 3 years.. Very few CRV owners can say this... :)
  • Options
    dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    With a 5spd transmission you are able to better control the power band. Ever heard of redline through the gears? This is what you have to do to the CRV to attain these 0-60 numbers. I did it. There is no way you are going to get these numbers by just going through the gears in a tame manner

My first thought is "DUH!!!" When you are doing a 0-60 test, it's timed! You don't "tamely shift through the gears." You're not frolicking through the tulips. This isn't Alice in Wonderland.

It's also readily apparent that you don't know how a manual transmission works. You would only redline right before you made the shift to second gear, if you so choose. That's it. This isn't a CVT where the engine holds revs. It goes up and then drops as soon as a shift is made, the same as in an automatic transmission. You don't build speed by maintaining rpms at the redline. And furthermore, if you really stuck your foot into, an automatic is every bit as capable of redlining.

:sick:

Furthermore, it's blatantly obvious you've never actually revved your automatic transmission, so you're not even making the 200 hp you claim to have. You're likely making less than 170, which means my CR-V has every bit as much power as yours, since I regularly rev to 5500 rpms when passing in my automatic transmission CR-V. I hit 6300 rpm in third gear when making a pass just last week. I've never done that in a Ford product. Perhaps because you've never had the experience of revving an engine, especially a Honda engine, that you don't understand how truly beautiful it is to the ears.

;)
  • Options
    Sorry tidester, my vote goes to steve...

Well, he had longer to think about it! ;)

tidester, host
  • Options
    The last 11 second CR-V I saw was the 127 horsepower version, from 1997. Could you tell me where you found these numbers? I did that courtesy for you, it would be nice if you reciprocated.
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    do you redline an automatic transmission? I have seen 0-60 times as high as 9.5 to 11.0 also for the CRV in other publications. Yet, of course, the Honda clan will believe the better times, the times that best the Escape... And discount the times that don't best the Escape..
    With a 5spd transmission you are able to better control the power band. Ever heard of redline through the gears? This is what you have to do to the CRV to attain these 0-60 numbers. I did it. There is no way you are going to get these numbers by just going through the gears in a tame manner..You will believe what you want to believe of course. Gee, kind of funny how the Escape, the vehicle that is supposed to be so unreliable and of lower quality comes in right behind the CRV by how many $$$?? Easily made up in low APR or incentives... I know my Escape has a lower TCO than an 01 CRV. I had %.9 financing.. and paid about $1000 less than a comparably equipped CRV at the time.. Honda never, ever offers low APR.. your costs are higher in financing everytime. I also paid my Escape off in 3 years.. Very few CRV owners can say this...

Like pointed out earlier, the 11 seconds to 60 is for the 1997 CR-V with 127 Hp, which still beats 1997 Escape's 5 years to 60 mph (took Ford 5 years to make the 2001 Escape)

I think you should talk to a 100 m sprinter, that he should take the timed run leisurly, maybe he will understand you, because none of us car guys can make sence out of making a timed run without putting all the might into it.

There are many different versions of the CR-V as well. There is the 1997-1998 CR-V with 127 HP. There is a 1999-2001 CR-V with 146 HP, then there is 2002-2006 CR-V with 2.4 liter 160 HP, 160 Ft. Lbs and 2.0 liter 150 HP and 148 ft. lbs engines. I am comparing the USDM Gen 2.5 (2005) CR-V (2.4 liter 160 hp, 160 ft. lbs) with USDM Escape XLT, and Escape loses. Honda is coming out with 3rd Generation of CR-V already, while Ford is giving little face lifts to the otherwise unchanged Escape.

As far as Honda not offering low APR, WRONG!!!! again.

I financed my 2002 Civic Si at 1.9% for 60 months, and the 2005 CR-V at 2.9% for 60 months. Honda does not have to offer 0% financing to lure customers in, nor does Honda hev to offer huge rebates. The cars sell pretty well on their own. Honda Finance is also highly selective when it comes to financing. Honda Finance only underwrites people with FICO of 700 and above, and there are no tiers like other companies. You either qualify, or you don't. No games, "Well you did not qualify for the 1.9% but we can finance you at 8%" You either get it or you don't, simple like that. If you don't get Honda finance, the dealer will work with local banks/loan sharks to get one financed.

Since CR-V is priced lower than comparably equipped Escape, I still save over the life of the loan, even with slightly higher interest rate.

My 2001 CR-V has been paid off since January of 2003, and then sold for a profit. So, I got you beat there too.
  • Options
    midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    Honda never, ever offers low APR.. your costs are higher in financing everytime.

3.9% for 36 months seems pretty competitve with local lenders to me. I suppose Ford can make next to nothing on their loans if they have to do it to sell them.

http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/current_offers.asp?ModelName=CR%2DV
  • Options
    I think you should talk to a 100 m sprinter, that he should take the timed run leisurly, maybe he will understand you, because none of us car guys can make sence out of making a timed run without putting all the might into it.

LOL! Yeah, and Carl Lewis was only as fast as he was because he trained hard and ran his fastest. He should have taken a more leisurely pace.

:confuse:
  • Options
    Yes, and driven an Escape, because, after all, you go faster in an Escape when you don't redline it, even though that's where peak power is. That makes sense, right?
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    When I joined this thread in 2002 I started putting $1 in a jar each time the 0-60 debate came up. I'm now a millionaire!!!!!

Thanks everyone! :P
  • Options
    I'm now a millionaire!!!!!

Okay - 'fess up! Where exactly did you invest that $7,000 ??? :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    Do we get a cut of it? :)
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    google?

just got back from 2300 miles in a week in the explorer.
    escape stayed at home. didn't see many escapes or cr-v's on the highway.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I found this on a blogsite. What do you think? Real photo? They claim its the revamped Escape:

• Options
    Okay - 'fess up! Where exactly did you invest that $7,000 ???

Obviously I bought a CR-V with it and am now making money off of it while saving the world and the environment. :P
  • Options
    Edmunds posted a spy shot similar to that a few weeks ago. It is the new Escape which supposedly will have an upgraded interior too.

Expect to see something similar to that face on the next Five Hundred and Freestyle too. All will get a variation of the Edge's face IIRC.
  • Options
    Do we get a cut of it?

Check's in the mail!
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Is anybody else thinking "Moonraker"?

Otherwise, I kinda like it.
  • Options
    Sorry, I had failed to see it. I didn't want to initially claim this as fact when I really didn't know. Glad to know it is legitimate. Seems a little toothy for my taste, but its nothing unbecoming of Ford; just their corporate face. Its better than the new Super Duty F-250/350!
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    The first gen Escape was much better looking. This one is a bit generic IMO. Nothing about it really stands out in the pack and I can see many confusing it for and Explorer...

Dull, dull, dull. :(
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nothing stood out because that pavement to windshield chrome impaired your vision. Grab some :shades:.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Hopefully the little "Escape" etched into the bumper doesn't make it to production. That is a little cheesy IMO.
  • Options
    Nothing about it really stands out in the pack and I can see many confusing it for and Explorer...

It doesn't need to stand out. It needs to be recongnized as a Ford. That way if people like it when they see it on the road they'll know where to get one. Mazda has some new products for you if you want something that stands out.

I disagree about it being confused with an Explorer. I see an '06 Explorer every morning in my garage and the face isn't all that similar. Oddly the Explorer seems to be the only Ford that did not get a close variation of the new face.
  • Options
    Looks a little too much like the current generation Saturn Vue for my tastes.

Did Ford revamp the mechanicals to go along with the new metal?
  • Options
    Did Ford revamp the mechanicals to go along with the new metal?

Haven't heard a peep about that yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 220 HP version of the Duratec30 under the hood though. Since it's already being produced for a high volume car while others that had the 200 HP version are dying off or moving to the 265 HP Duratec35 it makes sense to streamline in that fashion. I believe the Escape would be the only Ford left with the 200 HP version come this time next year if they keep it in there.

This is just speculation on my part so don't quote any of this. ;)
  • Options
    This is by a member "Got Diesel" on the HondaSUV forum:

"I drove a rental Escape V-6 last week.

There are things I liked about it better than our CR-V.

For me (6'3") the front seats in the Escape are better. The one I rented had power seats which almost always offer more adjustments. I could adjust the rake of the bottom cushion to support my thighs far more comfortably than is possible in our CR-V.

I wish the CR-V had more flexibility in that area.

The Escape also seems to have more headroom, but it didn't have a moonroof which our EX does and that is probably significant.

The Escape has a firmer brake pedal than the CR-V but I don't know if it stops better. I just like firmer brake pedals.

It also has a far quieter ride on rough pavement, even with the Conti-trac tires, which I know from experience with our Jeep GC are not a particularly quiet or smooth riding tire.

But... that's the end of the wins in my book.

The engine is crude, despite 50% more pistons. It has more than adequate power, but at the expense of economy. The throttle seems more touchy as well. And I have never found the CR-V inadequate in the power department.

The ride is firmer, almost jiggly. The CR-V has an amazingly well calibrated set of shocks/springs.

The cargo area floor has to be at least half a foot higher than the CR-V. That would make it tough for the older of my two dogs to get into.

The Escape, I've read, was engineered in large part by Mazda, so I expect it will hold together pretty well.

I wouldn't throw stones at anybody who buys an Escape. A friend of ours has a hybrid Escape and she actually averages 29 mpg. But to get that, she had to pay $5K more than we did for our CR-V.

At least it's not an Explorer, for which I have almost zero respect."
  • Options
    Sounds about right based on my extended experience with the CR-V (not really quiet or incredibly roomy up front (great in back though, just needs more driver's seat travel for my 6'4" frame). I have only spent about 3 hours in an Escape in my lifetime, so i can't say much to the other of what they are saying. Sounds credible though.

Ride quality and quietness is something nobody here has addressed in a long time.
  • Options
    On a trip from NE to NYC I rode along with a buddy of mine who has a 2WD 2002 XLT. With almost 70k miles, I have to say, that thing is rock solid over the crappy RT95 tarmac. Not a rattle or a squeek and the suspension never felt overworked. On the highway it cruised nicely at about 80 mph and returned a solid 26 mpg. The engine note is a bit raspy and unrefined at WOT and the CD player wouldn't give me back my discs but all in all...

Nice. Would consider one even today. :)
  • Options
    The CD player broke on the trip? Not good! :)
  • Options
    "On the highway it cruised nicely at about 80 mph and returned a solid 26 mpg. "

Was that a 4 or 6 cylinder?
  • Options
    I can't speak for anythngbutgm but I was getting 24 MPG on the highway in our '02 XLT V6 with a little extra air in the tires. I don't recall the exact mileage but it was most likely somewhere in the low to mid teens when I did that. 26 MPG is probably possible with the V6 after years of break in and tender care. I wouldn't say it's the norm though.
  • Options
    the CD player wouldn't give me back my discs but all in all...

Did they have sticker labels on them by any chance? Ford did issue a TSB and a special mailing to all owners informing them that sticker labels can jam the CD changer.
  • Options
    Seems like Honda is in the lead again

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/FCX/promo-200501/

9 minutes 19 seconds video on Honda's improvements to Fuel cell technology.
  • Options
    6 cylinder, XLT.

It was a FWD'er so it didn't have the extra weight of the 4WD system. CD had no stickers on it and you actually have to futz around with it a bit to get it to eject.

I was disappointed because it was Live's "Mental Jewelry" which is one of the greats of all time IMO. Love that disc. :cry:
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Got 23 mpg on 95S to NY with a vehicle that weighs 4,500 lbs and is tuned to put out 250 hp. That mileage includes an hour of driving around on city streets and being stuck in traffic on the way back.
  • Options
    No one posted this yet? You guys are slacking.

Looks like that outside spare and stupid side swinging rear door are gone finally. Those molded bumps on the rear bumper look very familiar too. :P

Oh, and no V6 according to Edmunds.
  • Options
    No V-6 was an expected and advertised move, by Honda. A 4-cylinder turbo has been the advertised engine so far (at least in the RDX). While the RAV4 DID increase its size a lot, and the CRV has NOT, they will now be much closer in size than they were before the tiny RAV turned into the CR-V sized RAV.
  • Options
    You make no V6 sound like a good thing. Edmunds' take is that the CR-V will no longer compete with the RAV but rather the smaller Kia and Hyundai mini-utes.

The turbo-4 is slated for the RDX but I doubt they would use the same motor in the CR-V. That's not Honda's style as they usually reserve the better engines (well, more powerful anyway) for the Acuras. When something new comes along, then the Hondas get the old Acura motors. I know that's pretty simplified but it seems to be their MO IMO.

So what else is going to be new about the '07? The current version already has all the safety and power they seem to be offering. New 4WD? New tranny? Sports car handling from the new chassis? Or are we just talking mostly cosmetics, crazy two-tierd dashboards and iPod ports here?
  • Options
    He7y Varmint, was that with your MDX? Nice! My wifes '03 is currently garnering about 21mpg mixed driving.

23 is impressive. :D
  • Options
    I would expect the RT4WD to continue on the next CRV. It works well in messy conditions and I would believe is much less complex and expensive than the SH-AWD from the RDX. Word is there may two engine variants and eventually a hybrid model. Would be killer if Honda incorporated their award winning diesel from the UK to be used in the new V.

Speculation? Can we expect a block design related to the R? series in the new Civic?

And please Honda, bring back the split tailgate, but make it one like the Element, the single door a la RAV4 is cumbersome. Thanx :D
  • Options
    You make no V6 sound like a good thing. Edmunds' take is that the CR-V will no longer compete with the RAV but rather the smaller Kia and Hyundai mini-utes.

I didn't intend to, as I think the OPTION is nice to have, but I doubt i'd ever get that car with the V-6 (or RAV-4 V6 for that matter) because the I-4s are sufficient (same reason I got the I-4 Accord instead of the V6). Thats just me, and i DO agree a V-6 option would've been a smart move on Honda's part, but at $3.79 a gallon by August, people may be rethinking that (I know the RAV V-6 is economical, but still isn't as eco-minded as its 4-cyl brother.)

I wouldn't look for just 156 horsepower in the 2007 CR-V, at minimum I think you'll see the revised Accord I-4 with a broader torque band and 10 more horsepower; and possibly a higher output than that.

The turbo-4 is slated for the RDX but I doubt they would use the same motor in the CR-V. That's not Honda's style as they usually reserve the better engines (well, more powerful anyway) for the Acuras

True, but if you look at the MD-X, it has the same engine as the Pilot and Odyssey, just tuned for slightly more power; I wouldn't be totally surprised to see the turbo-4 in the CR-V, albeit with 20-30 less hp than the RD-X. This(mine and your ramblings) are just pure speculation though, so I guess we'll see it unfold together.

The CRV will compete nicely with the RAV4 4-cylinder in size, as it does so favorably in its current form. The CR-V offers basically identical headroom, more legroom, 4 less cu.ft cargo capacity, and is .1 inches shorter than the RAV. Seems pretty competitive considering the Honda debuted 5 years ago and a new one is on its way.
  • Options
    Actually according to Toyota, the V6 gets 29 mpg highway while the 4-cylinder (minus 100hp) gets 28 mpg HW. :surprise:
  • Options
    What is the combined mileage, though? I'm not incredibly surprised given the extra gear that the 6-cylinder has to work with (6A vs 5A?)
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Gee, you have to wonder why the spare tire is gone from the back? and why the rear hatch doesn't open to the curb? The rear styling is not in my taste in vehicles. Kind of reminds me of the Murano. I don't care for that styling at all. Compete with Kia/Hyundia????
  • Options
    Gee, you have to wonder why the spare tire is gone from the back? and why the rear hatch doesn't open to the curb?

That's what happens when progressive car makers redesign their vehicles. I can understand how, as a Ford fan, you would be puzzled by this, since Ford just kills their vehicle off several years after it loses relevancy to introduce an all-new vehicle, but this is the way successful companies update their vehicles.

;)
  • Options
    True, but if you look at the MD-X, it has the same engine as the Pilot and Odyssey, just tuned for slightly more power; I wouldn't be totally surprised to see the turbo-4 in the CR-V, albeit with 20-30 less hp than the RD-X.

That's what I was getting at but wasn't sure if the RDX version of the turbo is putting out on the lower end or somewhere higher. If it's the low end then don't expect to see it in any Honda badged product.

It's probably also too expensive to put in the CR-V. But yes, it's all speculation at this point I guess.