Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Sure would like to see CRV owners unload parked parallel between two cars.. not going to happen we all know this.

I assume you are talking about long items.

How exactly would someone unload something long like a ladder from an Escape when parallel parked? The lift up hatch makes no difference. The other vehicle will block you. Absolutely no advantage for long items when parked in front of someone. Another perceived advantage nixed.

For smaller items the CR-V owner could flip up the glass and reach in.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Sure would like to see CRV owners unload parked parallel between two cars.. not going to happen we all know this.

I would like to see an Escape owner carry something that is longer than the cargo area of the vehicle, like a 26 foot ladder (13 feet collapsed) I had to carry home. Luckily in the CR-V the glass opens. I had the rest of the items from Home Depot secured behind the rear door, while the ladder was sticking out the rear hatch (with a red rag to warn people behind me).

I visit my parents in the Bronx quite often. I would like to see an Escape owner park in the spots that I can get CR-V into. And once I am in the spot, I have no problem retreiving items from the cargo hold, either through the door or the window.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    my guess is, 'scape or i would put their ladder on the roof rack crossbars. if you can't reach the rear crossbar to fasten it down, step up on the rear bumper. if you can't reach the front crossbar, open the rear passenger door and step up on the sill.
    the escape rear hatch doesn't need a lot of room behind it to open at the beginning of the arc. it is only fully extended at the top of the arc. ours has a pull in each side to assist closing it, along with a flip open window.
    very practical for just about everyone (except 'grad). 'gotcha buddy. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    :) thanks!

I didn't know that the Escape had a flip up window, or I would have noted its merit, also!
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    the escape rear hatch doesn't need a lot of room behind it to open at the beginning of the arc. it is only fully extended at the top of the arc.

Ahhh...that's pretty much how doors work. They aren't fully open until they are fully open. I have yet to see a door whose arc is wider when it begins to open than when it is fully opened.

;)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Gee I guess I'll tell you for (at least) the HUNDRETH time.

The CR-V fires were caused by technician error. "

Yes, they human error. However the original post was correct, there was a fire posted for a 2006 EX on Edmunds recently. Apparently it wasn't a dealer oil change.

I think that Honda could have put a shield or something over the exhaust parts (something that wouldn't get too hot, and would divert the oil if it leaked). However, that would have required admitting a design "deficiency", and opening up to lawsuits, etc. Plus a recall, of course.

Since it was human error that caused the fires, they didn't attempt any mods (or maybe it can't be done with the Gen 2 design). IMHO, they should have addressed this issue straight on when it happened, to ensure confidence in the Gen 2 CR-V, which had another 2 years of production ahead of it.

I owned a 2003 CR-V; 8 oil changes and no smoke when I sold it... :shades: I prefer the CR-V to the Escape, but I think we owners (and former owners) should be honest about what happens to our vehicles.

In comparison with the Escape, I rather doubt that an Escape with a double gasket would catch fire. Any Escape owners want to try it out? Of course, it would ruin the engine to run it without oil.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Where are you getting your information??

Tell you what, go to Google, type in Honda CRV problems.. and you'll get your bubble burst in about .2seconds..
    Prematurely Corroding suspension parts?? thats even better.. I live in the Northwest. As you know we get lots, and lots of rain, snow, ice.. After 5 years my 01 Escape shows no sign of these corroding parts.. I also use my little SUV as an SUV. I tow two watercraft, visit skii areas and search for fishing spots in the Cascade range.. Ever heard of MT St Helens? or MT Hood? Jefferson??
    0-60.. obvious you believe only the stats you want to believe. My Escape has been used and put through the guantlet.. I know more than many of the CRV owners on this board have in their vehicles... ;)
    If these Honda folks would get out of Edmunds and onto the internet they would see there are people with CRV's still having smelly issues with their engines.
    In fact, didn't we go over this before? Honda did a great job in sweeping it under the carpet. Another point, didn't a Honda fan fess up and say Honda did change the engine oil filter position for 04 or 05 model years?? the filter is now away from the exhaust areas?? Hmm... But hey, it has a silver "H" on it and its ok. Its a progressive company right?? right... ;)
    "didn't know that the Escape had a flip up window, or I would have noted its merit, also! "
    Proves that Honda fanatics don't do their homework.. The Escape has many other attributes you may not be aware of..
    Easy, killer...I was trying to be nice.
    obvious (sic) you believe only the stats you want to believe.

That's the pot calling the kettle black if I ever heard it.

You don't believe the experts in the field, the magazines, the automotive review programs who consistently rank the CR-V higher than the Escape, who consistently show that the CR-V outaccelerates the Escape, etc.

Since those are REAL stats why shouldn't they be believed?

You only believe yourself. Of course, you are right and every review, magazine, television program, etc. is wrong, LOL. Sorry to tell you but your n=1 experience with your vehicle means nothing.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I would like to see an Escape owner carry something that is longer than the cargo area of the vehicle, like a 26 foot ladder (13 feet collapsed) I had to carry home. Luckily in the CR-V the glass opens. I had the rest of the items from Home Depot secured behind the rear door, while the ladder was sticking out the rear hatch (with a red rag to warn people behind me).

As duly noted several times now, the Escape does have a separate opening rear glass portion of the hatch. I have done something similar to what you did with your ladder (little red flag and all) plus I also hauled a mattress home in the rear of the Escape while it hung out of the lower part of the hatch. It was too wide to fit through the glass without bending it so since the hatch could be lifted a few inches and tied to the tow hitch I was able to keep it off the roof. Can't do that with the CR-V's side-swinging door.
    "Another point, didn't a Honda fan fess up and say Honda did change the engine oil filter position for 04 or 05 model years?? the filter is now away from the exhaust areas??"

No, I think you are confusing the Gen1 to Gen 2 change, where the engine was rotated 180 degrees. There have been no engine changes in the CR-V since 2002.
    "Proves that Honda fanatics don't do their homework.. The Escape has many other attributes you may not be aware of.."

Which unfortunately don't include stability control, which was the deciding factor in my not buying a 2006 Escape Hybrid. The vehicle felt tippy even at low speed (compared to a CR-V, that is). Stability is not even offered, much less optional.

I don't think it has curtain airbags available either.

So I am in a 2006 Freestyle. :shades:
    Bottom line, sales for the small SUVs including CR-V and Escape are up. Interesting and OT, other Honda truck sales are up while Ford's other truck sales are down.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7BADFFBCFA%2DD77D%2D42C2%- 2DA563%2D3BE720AAB606%7D&source=blq%2Fyhoo&dist=yhoo&siteid=yhoo
    I don't think it has curtain airbags available either.

Last time I checked it did, just not standard. Yet.

On another note, the Edge will have side seat and curtain airbags along with Ford's (actually Volvo's) AdvanceTrac with RSC system all standard. Not to mention the 265 HP Duratec35 with 6-Speed ATX too.

I don't know about any of you but I'd pay $32k for a loaded Edge over $30k for a loaded Escape any day.

Ford is also making side bags and curtains standard on a lot of it's cars next year so I'd expect them to be that way across the board (maybe not in the bigger truck based models) very soon. The Fusion is already confirmed and I IIRC the Freestyle and Five Hundred will get them for MY08 after a short MY07 run.
    If these Honda folks would get out of Edmunds and onto the internet they would see there are people with CRV's still having smelly issues with their engines.

I'm not going to lie scape, sometimes you really make me chuckle. You keep countering our arguments that the Escape has quality problems with your own escalating mileage totals, despite the documented problems all over the web. On the otherhand, you tell us the CR-V has all sorts of problems despite our firsthand accounts and the rave reviews it has all over the web. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

;)
    my point is, the hatch can still be opened ALL THE WAY if someone is parked behind an escape, even if there is not a lot of room between vehicles. i hope that is an explanation everyone can understand.
    Well, you make me chuckle too...
    "despite the documented problems all over the web". But, you don't go out on the web and see the issues with the CRV?
    I never said the CRV has "all sorts of problems" What I am saying is the CRV is not as perfect as some so wish to believe. If people would get out of Edmunds and go to other rooms they would see this.
    On the other hand, Honda folks want so badly for everyone to believe the Ford Escape is a vehicle that is problematic. Not so. Proven under the new TCO right here at Edmunds. and if you visit MSN reliability data under thier car segment you will see also it would prove again...
    Fact is the internet is proving that Honda's are not as perfect as the media leads everyone to believe. This is a sore spot with those that paid the extra $$$ for this title of silver "H" and is sure makes some unhappy when the truth is out...
    I have never said Honda doesn't make good vehicles. What I am saying is thier are vehicles built that are every bit as good for less money now.. Got to love the free market. It was only a matter of time for this to happen.
    For every "expert" I can find another "expert" that says something contrary..
    There are stats that show Escape 0-60 numbers quicker than an automatic CRV.
    Besides, what you don't seem to understand is with a 5spd you have much more control over when you shift than in an automatic. In order to achieve the 0-60 numbers posted you have to redline the he... out of the CRV. I have done it in a CRV I know. With an automatic you are unable to rev the heck out of the engine through all gears. Now do you understand?? :confuse:
    With an automatic you are unable to rev the heck out of the engine through all gears

I think drive62 has a better grasp on how an automatic works.

I don't know what automatic you drive that shifts well below redline as you say they do if the throttle isn't floored. Shoot, my 1996 Accord I-4 4-speed Auto will still shoot over 6,000 RPM (Redline is 6,300 RPM in that car) if you floor it and hold it up to a shift point (38MPH, 77MPH, don't know about higer speed-shift points). If your Auto-equipped Escape doesn't operate in this manner, then you need to have your transmission inspected and fixed, because it should rev to near, if not at, redline, when floored in a standing acceleration run. I hope your car doesn't have problems, and instead, you are mistaken about how an automatic works when going at WOT.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    Hey Scape I checked out that MSN reliability data like you suggested:

'06 CR-V MSN Ratings 8.3/9.6 CR Score 73
    "The CR-V is one of the better car-based SUVs on the market and is competitively priced. The four-cylinder engine is more energetic, refined, and economical than some competitors' V6s. The five-speed automatic transmission is very smooth and responsive. Road noise is our only complaint. Crash-test results are impressive."

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2006&make=Honda&model=CR- - -V&trimid=-1

'06 Escape MSN Rating 7.4/9.4 CR Score 61
    "We do not recommend the Escape because of a tip-up in the government rollover test. The hybrid has above-average reliability while the regular version has been average."

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2006&make=Ford&model=Esc- - ape&trimid=-1
    We do not recommend the Escape because of a tip-up in the government rollover test.

Consumer Reports reported this almost two years ago. Posted it here and basically no repsonse.
    For every "expert" I can find another "expert" that says something contrary..

Feel free to post them. One of your recent suggestions for finding information already proves you wrong.

Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Consumer Reports and Motorweek are all pretty respectable publications/review programs. As I said, feel free to post these other "experts" but if it's Bob Bumpas from the Picayune Times it ain't gonna cut it (no offense to Bob or Picayune ;) ).
    Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Consumer Reports and Motorweek are all pretty respectable publications/review programs.

In Scape's defence: "It is all a conspiracy on part of Honda to brainwash Americans into believing that Honda products are the best. See, Hond ahad this plan to build great and very reliable cars in the 80's, and now that everyone believes that Honda builds great cars, they just market utter cow dung, and then bribe the editors at all these magazines and website to say that it is better than competition. Conspiracy, I tell you!"

I bet you JFK and Jimmy Hoffa are laughing their behinds off on some remote paradise island sipping margaritas. Their only fear is that Scape will figure them out next.
    I don't know what automatic you drive that shifts well below redline as you say they do if the throttle isn't floored. Shoot, my 1996 Accord I-4 4-speed Auto will still shoot over 6,000 RPM (Redline is 6,300 RPM in that car) if you floor it and hold it up to a shift point (38MPH, 77MPH, don't know about higer speed-shift points). If your Auto-equipped Escape doesn't operate in this manner, then you need to have your transmission inspected and fixed, because it should rev to near, if not at, redline, when floored in a standing acceleration run. I hope your car doesn't have problems, and instead, you are mistaken about how an automatic works when going at WOT.

Exactly. If your automatic transmission doesn't hold revs until the redline it isn't working correctly. Also, like I said before, you can't tout 200 hp all the time if you never rev about 4000 rpm, cuz guess what, you ain't makin' 200 horses @ 4000 rpm. You ain't even at the torque peak. Not in an Escape, at least.

;)

PS - I was riding with a buddy in an M3 today and guess what...he was REDLINING it THROUGH the GEARS! Through second gear, at least. It didn't even blow up. In fact, it was pretty fun!!!

:P
    The revised Mercury Mariner looks like an Escape with makeup on its face.
    Of course once again.. you post all the negatives about the Escape and positives about the CRV.. Gee, you fail to menion the overall reliability of the Escape compared to the CRV? why? :confuse:
    Why doesn't it surprise me, that another Honda fan would only believe another Honda fan on what he knows about transmissions.. surprise! :sick:
    There is nothing wrong with my transmission. Yet another Honda spoof. My car does redline but it doesn't "Hold" it like you can with a 5spd. Do you guys know how to drive a 5spd? I used to race and build Hot rods in my younger years by the way. So, I do know plenty about transmissions/HP/torque/Torque curves ect.. But.. Hey I'm a Ford fan, I don't know anyting right!?? ;)
    This kind of sounds like the never ending fairy tale of Honda's legendary reliability, you keep hearing about in the media, yet the internet chat rooms you find plenty of peeved of Honda owners.. Who do you believe?.
    Ever wonder why so few people know about the Honda transmission issues? I can't tell you how many people I have had to point this out to, that knew absolutely nothing about it. And what about the absolutely fall on your face debut of the Odessey?? This vehicle had so many problems its first year, yet still won best mini-van?? The Escape had issues and it was plastered all over the news, papers, internet ect.. What about the Honda Pilot that left the Edmunds reviewer stranded?? LOL@! Its ok though because the media tells you its ok, and it has the silver "H" on the hood, really its ok...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I used to race and build Hot rods in my younger years by the way.

Yeah, but back in those days Henry Ford was still selling cars with whatever color you wanted - as long as it was black! (JUST KIDDING!) Sorry - I couldn't resist. :)

Hey I'm a Ford fan ...

Only a true Ford fan would appreciate my previous remark.

tidester, host
    Pic isn't loading. Have a link?
    Certainly...Sorry for the non-loading, it works fine and quick on my laptop. Here's a link:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3545/557/1600/mercury.0.jpg

Hopefully this will work for you, let me know if it doesn't.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    ABSOLUTELY false. I posted the entire comment they made about the Escape twins verbatum. I posted the one criticism they had on the CRV. I posted the scores assigned by MSN and CR and provided links to both reliability reviews for all to see. Now just because the reviews did not support your claims you attack me.

But, you don't go out on the web and see the issues with the CRV?

I followed your suggestion and did some research outside of Edmunds. Why don't you do the same and provide some evidence (with links) of all these CRV issues you keep talking about?
    Thanks. The pic loads now and the link works. Guess I just caught the server at a bad time.

I see the "makeup" now. Hopefully that's just some camo or a trial thing. If not, they'd be wise to remove it IMO.
    So it's your job to inform the world about Odyssey transmission problems? Do you just grab someone off the street or do they actually have to own the vehicle? If someone had a problem I think they'd be aware but I guess It's nice of you to let them know. I could stand on a corner and tell people about Ford's woes but I have better things to do with my time.

This kind of sounds like the never ending fairy tale of Honda's legendary reliability

If every review program, car magazine, auto writer, customer surveys (e.g. JD Power) etc. touts Honda's reliability how is it a fairy tale? Only in your mind apparently.
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Gee, you fail to menion the overall reliability of the Escape compared to the CRV? why?

Reliability of the Escape vs CR-V? Are u trying to shoot yourself in the foot here? :P
    My car does redline but it doesn't "Hold" it like you can with a 5spd.

What could would "holding" a 5 speed at redline do??? How does that help one accelerate? This is yet another comment
    that makes me wonder if there is complete understanding here of how transmissions work.

:confuse:

Do you guys know how to drive a 5spd?

Yes, but why don't you refresh me?
    Your starting to show your lack of knowledge also, or we just are not communicating effectivly here.
    With a 5spd there is no limit as to how long you can redline your vehicle. The automatic will only let this happen for a very short period of time before switching to then next gear. Now do you understand?
    "Reliability of the Escape vs CR-V? Are u trying to shoot yourself in the foot here?

Nope, did you actually look at the reliability ratings of the Escape? Nope, obviously.....
    It is surprising the amount of people I run into on the net that know nothing about Honda issues. They believe people like you that rant and rave about reliabiltiy and how Honda can do no wrong. I don't "stand on a corner and tell people about Honda woes". I just inform them, link them, show them. Open minds a little.. nice concept huh??
    Ok, and if you hold at redline, how do you accelerate if you keep the same RPM. It's not a CVT. Redline all day long, but if you don't change gears (in turn dropping your RPMs down by a couple thousand or so RPMs until you accelerate back up to redline again).
    You give new definition to the phrase "the pot calling the kettle black".

I rant? A good definition of ranting would be someone who IGNORES published data to only post their opinion. Sound familiar?

It is surprising the amount of people I run into on the net that know nothing about Honda issues.

Again I ask (and I am still waiting for a reply) is it your job to inform the world about Honda problems?

If it's "all over the 'net" about Honda's problems shouldn't someone researching a potential Honda purchase be able to find this doom and gloom?

So what if someone believes that every Honda vehicle ever made is perfect. How does that effect you? Seems to me you feel it is your duty to inform people about problems with a brand YOU DON'T EVEN OWN. And while it is certainly possible that the purchaser could have a problem with their Honda vehicle, the statistics show they probably will not.

It is obvious that someone has a vendetta against a company. Why? Who's to say. But based on all the published data, it isn't rational.
    Cerain someone keeps on erroneously harping about the design flaw in the CR-V which lead to the engine fires. It has been proven that a faulty gasket material and sloppy oil change job was the real cause of the fires.

This weekend I got to change the oil on the Escape (V6).

The Escape oil filter is situated right above the pre-cat part of the manifold piping that houses primary O2 sensor. This is the hottest part of the exhaust, as the gasses are still extremely hot exiting from the engine. Of course, while removing the filter, I spilled some oil. I can see how a faulty gasket in the Escape, or improper filter installation would lead to severe engine fire. We are talking fire starting up minutes after engines is fired.

As much as people complain about the location of the CR-V oil filter, it is not directly above any hot exhaust parts, and is easily accessible through the wheel well.

Escape filter location is not good for someone trying to reach it. I can see a mechanic getting severe burns if the exhaust system is hot.

Also, if Escape is as off-road capable as CR-V, how come I can easily roll under the CR-V on my creeper, but had to jack up the Escape to get to the drain plug? Looks like Escape is missing a couple of inches of clearance when compared to CR-V.

Oh and Escape takes 6 quarts of oil. I had to buy a gallon and 2 quarts to fill the crankcase. Luckily Advance auto parts has it on sale, Gallon is $5.77, and quarts are $1.58 for the "Advanced" brand, which is made by Havoline.

CR-V only takes 4 quarts (3.8 to be precise). For only 600 cc's of increased displacement, Escape surely takes alot more oil, whiel still losing to CR-V in acceleration tests (when 3.0 L Escape is compared to 2.4 L CR-V, not 2.0 L CR-V. 2.0 L CR-V runs circles around the 2.3 L Escape)
    Also, if Escape is as off-road capable as CR-V, how come I can easily roll under the CR-V on my creeper, but had to jack up the Escape to get to the drain plug? Looks like Escape is missing a couple of inches of clearance when compared to CR-V.

According to this, not much difference. Not sure why you experienced what you did---but owning both you would know.

http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/compare/results_overview.aspx?ModelName=CR-V&- - ModelYear=2006&AICGroupNum=4198&RURL=http%3a%2f%2fautomobiles.honda.com%2fmodels- - %2fmodel_overview.asp%3fModelName%3dCR%252DV&AICNum1=18458&LastState=%2Ftools%2F- - compare%2Fselect_competitor_similar.aspx%3FModelName%3DCR-V%26ModelYear%3D2006%2- - 6AICGroupNum%3D4198%26RURL%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252fautomobiles.honda.com%252fmodels- - %252fmodel_overview.asp%253fModelName%253dCR%25252DV%26AICNum1%3D18458%26LastSta- - te%3D%26AICNum2%3D16872&AICNum2=16872&Filter=&Mode=&Photo=&Change=

One thing I find amusing when comparing the two. "Locking Fuel Filler Door". It amazes me the number of domestic vehicles that don't have this feature. My late 80's Honda had this feature. I guess saving those couple of pennies makes it worth it to the domestics. I've been reading stories about people having gas siphoned out of their vehicles. I guess it will happen easier on the Escape.
    Ok, and if you hold at redline, how do you accelerate if you keep the same RPM. It's not a CVT. Redline all day long, but if you don't change gears (in turn dropping your RPMs down by a couple thousand or so RPMs until you accelerate back up to redline again).

Exactly. This is why I'm amazed that this issue of "redlining through the gears" can't be put to rest.

:sick:

In an acceleration test there is NO strategic advantage to holding an engine's rpms at redline. In fact, that would slow you down.

:cry:
    The Escape oil filter is situated right above the pre-cat part of the manifold piping that houses primary O2 sensor. This is the hottest part of the exhaust, as the gasses are still extremely hot exiting from the engine. Of course, while removing the filter, I spilled some oil. I can see how a faulty gasket in the Escape, or improper filter installation would lead to severe engine fire. We are talking fire starting up minutes after engines is fired.

I used to change the oil myself in the Escape and noticed the same thing. However, none of the oil I spilled on the exhaust ever started a fire and I spilled a lot. I did wipe the pipe off after I was done but some oil still remained and you could smell it burning off for a few days.

I know you guys keep claiming the CR-V fires were a result of sloppy oil change jobs but something in the design has to be wrong too IMO. You've seen how much oil can get on the exhaust of the Escape during an oil change and yet it doesn't catch on fire. Why is it that the one which has oil on the exhaust after every oil change does not catch on fire but the other which never gets oil on the exhaust does? I don't believe that telling whomever performs the change to "be careful" is enough either. CR-V fires still occur and will continue to occur until Honda fixes it.

FWIW, I left an old gasket on the filter spindle once after changing the oil in our Civic. Needless to say the oil light came on shortly after I left the house and oil was all over the engine. No fire.

Simple. The bumpers are of different shapes. All you just told us is that the CR-V has more ground clearance at the front bumper than the Escape. Overall they're still pretty close when you move farther back and that's all that matters when off the beaten path.

As much as people complain about the location of the CR-V oil filter, it is not directly above any hot exhaust parts, and is easily accessible through the wheel well.

As in you have to remove the inner lining of the well to get to it? Kind of like how you have to remove the wheel well lining in the Accord just to change the headlight bulb? What do they charge you for that service at the dealer? $2 for the bulb and $75 for labor? :surprise:
    from what i understand, the anti-siphon is built into the fuel filler, not the door. (less likely to get vandalized to get to the tank?)
    the lowest clearance on the escape is definitely in the front. there are cowlings and braces under the front of the escape which help protect the vitals.
    when ford says there is 'offroad' built into their vehicles, i believe them.
    i had the left front tire/wheel/brake knocked off my expedition in a collision. the frame needed some straightening, but no repairs were needed to the front 4wd, engine, transmission, exhaust, or fuel tank. that was by good design, not chance. my family suffered no injuries either. thanks, ford. :)

As in you have to remove the inner lining of the well to get to it? Kind of like how you have to remove the wheel well lining in the Accord just to change the headlight bulb? What do they charge you for that service at the dealer? $2 for the bulb and $75 for labor?

No need to remove the lining. Just reach in the hole. Many have complained that the CR-V has opennings in the wheel wells. They work great for reaching the oil filter.

I never paid dealer to replace bulbs, that is DIY for most people. And if there is someone paying $75 for bulb replacement, send them to me, I will do it for $60 :P
    the thing is, the fires are still happening. maybe they are no different from any other vehicle.
    just as a guess, maybe it has something to do with the 'cat(s) location.
    in the escape, it is under the front passenger seat.
    i don't know where it is in the cr-v.
    i have never had to replace a headlight bulb in any of my fords, even my 15 year old mustang. my wife's saab, that was another story. actually the dealer used to replace them for free. just drive in, get 'em replaced and drive out. no paperwork needed.
    the saab was replaced with an escape, and my wife and i are happy about it.