Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    I hear you on the snow thing. I lived Minnesota for three years before moving to South Dakota last fall. We had our last snowfall three weeks ago or so. Having spent 2/3 of my 30 years in this area of the country, in my experience, pretty much any front wheel drive weighing over 3000 pounds will get you through anything you need to get through.

Normally it's the man who won't be caught dead in a minivan, but I've been hearing this applied to woman more and more often. A couple of my wife's co-workers are the same way. It's unfortunate because ride quality, fuel economy, interior room and safety (from the testing institutions) are far superior in these wonders of the automotive world. A lot of my friends gasp when I tell them an Odyssey is my next purchase, but they're the ones getting 15 MPG, complaining that they won't be able to afford driving if gas goes to $4 a gallon.

:cry:

I hope your wife changes her mind on the minivan thing!

;)
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    in my experience, pretty much any front wheel drive weighing over 3000 pounds will get you through anything you need to get through

Agreed. I even manage to get my RWD Mustang through the snow, to an extent obviously, but having 4WD does allow you to get out of the way of the idiot coming at you a little faster and easier. I've had to do it before and I have no doubt that a FWD vehicle would have left me to be hit.

I hope your wife changes her mind on the minivan thing!

She won't. Having a third child is the only way she'll ever drive one and has stated that. Barring any surprises, that's not happening. ;)

I don't see why a guy wouldn't want a minivan. I for one make a lot of trips to Home Depot and Lowes and think it would be great to be able to fit a 4X8 sheet of plywood or drywall in a van rather than strapping it to the roof of an SUV. It would even stay dry which not even a pickup can do. With a Caravan you don't even have to remove a seat to fit whatever you want in the van. That I like!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    a minivan should be your first choice.

I think hatchback is a better choice. It is more efficient and less prone to roll over as it is lower the ground. I think there are only 4 or 5 hatchback models offered in this country. But, there are tons and tons of SUV models offered.

Hatchbacks get just as much room as an SUV (Fit vs. CR-V) while getting better fuel economy and are more nimble.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    I know I'm barking up the wrong tree as you are a confirmed Ford person but the last generation CR-V had more interior room than a Grand Chereokee so I have to think it compares favorably with an Explorer in terms of usable space. I'm sure you can give me the cubic feet figures. But how often do you use up every one of those cubic feet? The CR-V is a nimbler vehicle, gets much better gas mileage, is more reliable than a Ford and has many other attributes going for it. As this is CR-V vs. Escape I know this is off topic but it goes to show how good a vehicle the CR-V is when it can be compared favorably to larger SUVs. Bringing it back, have heard nothing good about the new Escape. Seven years (or so) for a redesign and it really hasn't broke any new ground.
    But how often do you use up every one of those cubic feet?

Quite often actually. We use the Explorer to go most everywhere which means it's filled with two adults, two kids in full size car seats, at least one double stroller, portable high chair, blankets, diaper bag, toys, spare clothes for the kids, umbrellas, DVDs, and other assorted necessities.

Now imagine all of that plus whatever we are bringing home from the grocery, toy, pet, or any other store too. The Explorer allows us to carry everything at all times which we feel the Escape and CR-V cannot do.

When the lease is up in two years we are considering moving to a smaller SUV like the Land Rover LR2, Acura RDX, Ford Edge, or whatever else is out there. The double stroller and many of the other items we pack in the back will be of no more use then.

See Ford's comparison tool for the cargo capcity difference. The CR-V's cargo number comes from the mfr. IIRC Honda measures that with the second row all the way forward and the second row leg room is measured with the seats slid all the way back. To me that is the right way to do it because it shows the max measurements but it's not necessarily a real-world measurement when you're using the second row for passengers nearly 100% of the time.

To give you another example, we had four people, the double stroller and all that other stuff in there when we went to Sam's Club a few months ago and spent $700 on many household and food items. We were able to stuff all of it into the Explorer with some room to spare. I could't see out of the back window but we got it all in! ;) We don't do that often, but it is really nice to be able to do that when we need to. I also brought our new kitchen home from Ikea in it. I was by myself for that because we had to fold all the seats down. I doubt that some of the longer and wider boxes would have fit in the CR-V. Not flat anyway.

The CR-V is a nimbler vehicle, gets much better gas mileage, is more reliable than a Ford and has many other attributes going for it.

Yes. Don't care. Says you and some poorly run surveys. So does the Explorer but I won't get into them here.

Bringing it back, have heard nothing good about the new Escape. Seven years (or so) for a redesign and it really hasn't broke any new ground.

Can't say that I have either. However, my wife and I still can't get past the polarizing looks, in a bad way IMO, of the CR-V to even consider looking at it's other attributes. The Pilot is another consideration for our Explorer replacement so I'm really interested to see what they do with it. As long as they don't give it the CR-Vs looks it might be the winner.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "IIRC Honda measures that with the second row all the way forward and the second row leg room is measured with the seats slid all the way back."

I don't know about the Gen3, but the Gen2 CR-V had the full cargo capacity with the seats slid fully to the rear. When my kids were small I slid the seats forward for a lot of extra space when needed; I estimate around 40 cu ft behind the 2nd row with the Gen 2 seats forward.
    but the Gen2 CR-V had the full cargo capacity with the seats slid fully to the rear.

That doesn't make any sense. How can the full cargo capacity be available with the seats slid towards the back?

Since you now have a Freestyle which is very comparable to an Explorer can you tell me you don't notice the difference in cargo capacity between a mid-sizer like the Explorer or Freestyle vs that of a CR-V?
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    You post was fine until this:

The CR-V is a nimbler vehicle, gets much better gas mileage, is more reliable than a Ford and has many other attributes going for it.

Yes. Don't care. Says you and some poorly run surveys. So does the Explorer but I won't get into them here.

The head in the sand mentality about reliability and dependability exhibited by several people here is ludicrous. It's not some "poorly run survey" that says Honda produces a more reliable vehicle than Ford. Facts are facts. If someone chooses to ignore them that's kind of sad.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    With a few exceptions (Freelander?), most cars today run pretty good. Certainly much better than they did in the 70's and 80's. I don't think the overall difference in reliability and dependability is all that great any more.

My cars aren't spring chickens and it's been at least a decade since I was stranded because of a mechanical breakdown, and - perhaps this is a better indicator than personal experience - I don't see all that many cars broken down on the side of the road with their hoods up.

Maybe we need a new discussion called "What I Saw Broken Down on the Side of the Road Today" to accompany the I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today! discussion?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I don't see all that many cars broken down on the side of the road with their hoods up.

The last car I saw like that? MINE!

I had the radiator replaced in my 96 Accord last week, and today, all my coolant ran out and I ran hot in rush hour traffic (read: 80 MPH) on Interstate 59. THAT was the perfect end to a Monday at work!

My car is spending the night at the dealer so they can find the problem in the morning. :(

173,000 miles, and this is the first time I've been stranded, and this time was likely due to a mechanic error (I'm hoping for a hose that popped of). Not bad I'd say.
    The Explorer allows us to carry everything at all times which we feel the Escape and CR-V cannot do.

When the lease is up in two years we are considering moving to a smaller SUV like the Land Rover LR2, Acura RDX, Ford Edge, or whatever else is out there.

No matter how you cut it, Acura RDX is the same as Honda CR-V. So, if you say that RDX has enough space for your stuff, that means that CR-V has enough space for your stuff.
    No matter how you cut it, Acura RDX is the same as Honda CR-V. So, if you say that RDX has enough space for your stuff, that means that CR-V has enough space for your stuff.

Did you even read the post? The RDX would have enough space IN TWO YEARS. We won't have to haul the stroller, high chair, and several other items all over the place making a smaller SUV a possibility.
    Facts are facts. If someone chooses to ignore them that's kind of sad.

Thinking that those survey results are facts is what's really sad. If you really need them to make your decisions, and by following their advice you feel you made the right choice then more power to you. I don't work that way and never will.

If you're done calling me names maybe we can move on? :confuse:

Live Steve said, the gap in reliability (yes there probably was one at one time several years ago) is mostly gone. Our worst car to date was still our '96 Civic. And even it didn't have problems that would make me call it unreliable.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Didn't mean to jinx you Grad. :-)
    "That doesn't make any sense. How can the full cargo capacity be available with the seats slid towards the back?"

The original post indicated they thought the published cargo numbers were with the rear seats slid forward. I was merely correcting this mis-impression. Perhaps I should have said I was referring to the published cargo capacity.

"Since you now have a Freestyle which is very comparable to an Explorer can you tell me you don't notice the difference in cargo capacity between a mid-sizer like the Explorer or Freestyle vs that of a CR-V?"

Oddly enough, I piled the back of my Freestyle (with 3rd seats folded!) almost to the ceiling when I transferred stuff from my CR-V. I was surprised how much stuff was in that Honda; it hadn't seemed that loaded with cargo. I got the Freestyle because it has better (for me) seating position for my legs. Cargo wise, the CR-V was sufficient, but of course the FS has more cargo, particularly with the 3rd row down.
    I know, buddy.

The car is back home, safe and sound, all tucked into its parking place. :)

I locked the doors and as I walked up the driveway I'd swear it told me "good night." :) :P
    Did you even read the post? The RDX would have enough space IN TWO YEARS. We won't have to haul the stroller, high chair, and several other items all over the place making a smaller SUV a possibility.

Sorry, I didn't see that part.
    Understood. I do it all the time too.

Didn't mean to "yell" either. Someone on another thread got me going that day. ;)
    The original post indicated they thought the published cargo numbers were with the rear seats slid forward. I was merely correcting this mis-impression. Perhaps I should have said I was referring to the published cargo capacity.

Honda's own site doesn't specify whether the position of the rear seats, other than up or down, so how do you know they measure with the seats slid all the way toward the back? I would think they would publish the maximum cargo capacity rather than the minimum don't you? The max can only be measured with the seats pushed all the way forward.
    Going off topic for a sec, the car I see on the side of the road most often is late model Pontiac Grand Prixs. They are garbage!
    "Honda's own site doesn't specify whether the position of the rear seats, other than up or down, so how do you know they measure with the seats slid all the way toward the back? I would think they would publish the maximum cargo capacity rather than the minimum don't you? The max can only be measured with the seats pushed all the way forward."

Oh gosh, we covered this a couple of years ago, and I can't remember where I got this information. IIRC I did a basic calculation based on H X W X D on my own 2003 CR-V EX to confirm (OK, so I had a lot of time on my hands). However, they cannot claim 39 inches of legroom (GEN 2) AND the cargo space at maximum (as you describe "maximum); when forward, the GEN 2 rear legroom is only 36 inches (identical to the normal legroom of the 2005 Escape). So they measured the cargo space with the seats to the rear.

I hope you can see how one cannot "double count" the same space - either the seat is forward (in which case there is only 36" legroom), or the seat is backward (39"), to match the cargo volume reported.

Just to be clear, my original statement was about the GEN 2, which was the model I owned. I don't know how the current specs are written on Honda's website these days.

OK, found the post, by Varmint:

CR-V GEN 2 Legroom vs Cargo

""Are the rear leg room numbers taken with the seats fully in their [sp. edit] back position?" - Yes, they are. This is standard testing methodology for all vehicles. The same methods were used to measure the Escape.

"Are the cargo area dimensions taken with the backseats fully in their [sp. edit] forward position?" - No, they are not. I explained this earlier. The CR-V's volume of 33.5 cu.ft. is measure with the seats in the rearward position. In other words, you could slide the rear seats forward to increase cargo volume even higher than the 33.5 it is rated for. "
    I'm not going to argue with you because you could be right about all of this. I'd just like more information on how they really measure be it from varmint, Honda, or some other independent source. If there is a standard procedure for measurement I've never seen it before.

It just seems strange to me that Honda, or any other mfr for that matter, would publish any volume measurement other than the max. I understand that you can't have the max rear legroom if you want the max cargo but they can report the max for both simply by sliding the seat all the way forward or back for the two seperate measurements. If they have to configure the vehicle in one, and only one set way before taking all of the measurements for some reason then yours, and varmint's, explanations make sense.

With my Explorer, your Freestyle, the Escape, and many others the rear seat does not slide, but might recline, you are going to get a less confusing measurement. As if Honda didn't make the CR-V different enough why'd they have to throw this wrench into the works too? ;)
    "I understand that you can't have the max rear legroom if you want the max cargo but they can report the max for both simply by sliding the seat all the way forward or back for the two seperate measurements. If they have to configure the vehicle in one, and only one set way before taking all of the measurements for some reason then yours, and varmint's, explanations make sense."

Well, put it this way, the total volume for the entire vehicle has to be the sum of the volume of the front, rear, and cargo areas. So they can't add a "maximum" rear area and a "maximum" cargo area, plus the standard front area; it would be larger than the interior area.

Similarly, if you a standard measure of the total inches from the front of the car to the end of the car (inside), there are only a set number of inches. You can divide those inches any way you desire, but can't count the inches twice.

I think they would confuse a lot of people if they reported two sets of figures for rear legroom and cargo area.
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    Our Civic - Assembled in Canada..Trans from US. MOTOR from Japan. That's a good thing - the motor is the best part of the car.
  • cshoppercshopper Member Posts: 7
    "I'm not going to argue with you because you could be right about all of this. I'd just like more information on how they really measure be it from varmint, Honda, or some other independent source. If there is a standard procedure for measurement I've never seen it before."

I'm pretty sure I've seen one before, under SAE procedures for interior dimensions and volume measurement. The seat is slid to the furthermost rearward position. Doesn't matter if its 1st or 2nd or 3rd row seat. This basically levels the playing field and allows consumers to compare apples to apples. the Legroom itself, IIRC, is not a distance between seats measure, but some kind of measure from your hips to knee to floor and forward.

Manufacturers should be reporting max legroom based on the procedure and have every incentive to do so. Sliding 2nd row seats are pretty commonplace in the industry now- many mid-size SUVs have this feature, as well as compacts like the CRV and RAV4. It would be very confusing if the legroom measurement was not standardized.
    It would be very confusing if the legroom measurement was not standardized.

I don't know about that. I always thought they published max measurements. Going by what I've learned from you and others here that doesn't seem to be the case as you'd have to slide the CR-V's second row all the way forward to get the max cargo number for example.

If they were to publish max measurments, and state them as such, then I don't see how that could be confusing.
    Ford recalling SUVs over head protection testing

You'd think after all these years of selling the exact same model they'd have ironed out all the problems...

:sick:
    That recall was announced in April of 2006 and does not affect the current Escape. In fact, it only affected MY2005 Escapes.

Did you even read the article?
    Yes, I read the article.

:blush:

The relevant fact is the current Escape remains largely unchanged, so as late as 2005, which was something like 6 or 7 years into the model run, its STILL having issues. That means it's very likely we'll see something wrong on the '06 and '07s. In the meantime, the CR-V and RAV4 are on their third iterations and EACH has had less recalls, despite the continually new (and improved) product.

:shades:
    First of all, and this has been reiterated a hundred times before, recalls are not a measure of quality in any way shape or form.

Second of all, since 2002, the first MY of the last gen CR-V, the Escape has had 8 total recalls whereas the CR-V has had 7. The math gets a little fuzzy because of generation gaps between the two but you get the picture I hope. ;)
    Recalls are indicators of many things, INCLUDING quality. Not always, but it IS one of the factors. I don't know where you are getting that it isn't.

And yes, the recalls are relatively close over the past five years, but then again, these are NEW CR-V models you are comparing to an ESTABLISHED Escape model. I would fully expect, as would many other (I hope), that you have more recall issues early in a model's development.

Honda has done just that, as there haven't been ANY recalls on my 2005 CR-V, the fourth year of its generational run. The Escape, on the other hand, is STILL getting recalls after 6+ years and counting. Sorry, baggs, but you are comparing Apples to Oranges on this one. Furthermore, Ford needs to show it can produce a quality model if they expect people to bail them out.
    And yes, the recalls are relatively close over the past five years, but then again, these are NEW CR-V models you are comparing to an ESTABLISHED Escape model.

The Escape was all new in 2001. I gave you 2002 and up. One year on the market makes it established now? :confuse:

Honda has done just that, as there haven't been ANY recalls on my 2005 CR-V, the fourth year of its generational run.

The NHTSA says otherwise:

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    HONDA / CR-V 2005

Recall Number: 04V526000
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE OCCUPANT POSITION DETECTION SYSTEM'S SIDE SENSOR IS NOT INSTALLED IN THE CORRECT POSITION AND MAY FAIL TO SHUT OFF THE PASSENGER'S SIDE IMPACT AIRBAG IF THE OCCUPANT IS OUT-OF-POSITION.
    Consequence:
    IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, SUCH AN OUT-OF POSITION OCCUPANT MAY BE INJURED BY A DEPLOYING SIDE AIRBAG.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE PASSENGER'S SEAT-BACK PAD WHICH INCUDES THE OCCUPANT POSITION DETECTION SYSTEM SENSOR. THE RECALL BEGAN ON ON NOVEMBER 19, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
    Notes:
    HONDA RECALL NO. P49. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Furthermore, Ford needs to show it can produce a quality model if they expect people to bail them out.

Your beloved CR ranks the Fusion above the Accord. Check out the latest JD Power ratings too. Ford had the most vehicles at the top of their segments. Quality has improved greatly and you're just going to have to face that fact now. There is no more quality gap. That's not to say there won't be one in the future again, but it's gone for now.

I would fully expect, as would many other (I hope), that you have more recall issues early in a model's development.

Completely false. Often times it takes a while for a problem to crop up and that wouldn't necessarily happen early in the model's life cycle.

Recalls are indicators of many things, INCLUDING quality. Not always, but it IS one of the factors. I don't know where you are getting that it isn't.

Maybe the quality of a specific part but parts fail and they fail for all mfrs. Recalls are almost always issued for safety reasons and have more to do with the durability of a part than it's overall quality which don't go hand in hand. Sometimes form comes before function.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    Normally it's the man who won't be caught dead in a minivan, but I've been hearing this applied to woman more and more often.
    ------------------------------------

But minivans have become too large and heavy too. Unless you have a family of 6. IMO, new vehicles like the Mazda5 and Kia Rondo are the way to go. And they'll carry 6 too. :)
    IMO, new vehicles like the Mazda5 and Kia Rondo are the way to go. And they'll carry 6 too.

Having spent time in a 5, you really need to get a 4-door 5-passenger vehicle if you need decent seating for 4 (the back seat is small in the 5, to me). For 6, the 4 rear passengers better be 5'3" or less.

Having owned an Accord, driven the family minivan, and sat in a Mazda 5, I'd pick the conventional car or minivan over the microvan.

The Mazda5 gets 21/26 MPG, and has 157 horsepower (bad power to MPG ratio). The Sienna has 266 horsepower, seats 7/8 people quite comfortably, and gets 19/26 MPG.

If I had the money to spend on a conventional van, even if I only had a family of 4, I'd get the Sienna. 1 MPG combined lower, 100+ extra horsepower, MUCH MUCH more room and comfort.
  • lparrishlparrish Member Posts: 10
    I know there are probably a variety of opinions on this topic, but here goes:
    I'm trying to decide whether to buy a used Escape or CRV. Safety and reliability are the most important factors to me, 4 cylinder engine is fine. For my budget ($15K or less), I could get a fairly new (05/06) Escape with low mileage very easily. A CRV, on the other hand, would likely be a 2002 or 2003 model with a bit more miles. Is the CRV worth paying a bit extra or getting a bit older car?
    I know there are probably a variety of opinions on this topic, but here goes:
    I'm trying to decide whether to buy a used Escape or CRV. Safety and reliability are the most important factors to me, 4 cylinder engine is fine. For my budget ($15K or less), I could get a fairly new (05/06) Escape with low mileage very easily. A CRV, on the other hand, would likely be a 2002 or 2003 model with a bit more miles. Is the CRV worth paying a bit extra or getting a bit older car?

Test drive both. The 4 cylinder CR-V compares more favorably with the V6 Escape. The 4 cylinder Escape compares to horse drawn buggy in terms of acceleration and driving dynamics. :P
    Won't fit into the current Escape, according to this month's Car & Driver (Oct. 07). In the meantime, Honda has upped the HP numbers for the 2.4 to 177 and 190 for the new Accord. I'm hoping the 190 horse version makes it into the CR-V in the next year or two. THEN what are people going to say when this four banger has equal HP numbers to Ford's 3 liter V6?
    The solution is the PIP Duratec30 which we should see at the Detroit show in January if it's still in the works (the TwinForce may have made Mulally change his mind about that).

Essentially the PIP is a reworked version of the current D30 and adds about 20 horses, some torque, more refinement, and much better fuel economy. The '09 Escape will most likely also get the new 2.5L I4 which puts out either 190 or 200 HP, is smoother than the current 2.3L and, again, gets much better fuel economy.

I doubt that they'll put a TF in the Escape so I'd expect the PIP is still on track. Although news of it on the dedicated Ford forums has died down substantially over the past few months.

These two motors are going in the freshened, inside and out, '09 Fusion as well with a TF I4 for the sport version(s).

The next Escape will most likely be the Kuga you can see at the current Frankfurt show if rumors hold true too.

Oh, and the Escape will get a new 5 or 6-speed tranny with the new engines too.
    When did the current Escape debut again?
    February IIRC.

Many people, I being one of them, were disappointed with the drivetrain for the current model because it had not changed at all. It seems that Mulally and Fields have listened, but nothing's been officialy announced yet so time will tell.
    Oh, i mean the Escape in general. The "new" Escape is not much newer than my "new" Accord for 2006. A facelift, a small change here or there, but nothing new to hang their hat on. Was it 2001?
    "Oh, i mean the Escape in general. The "new" Escape is not much newer than my "new" Accord for 2006. A facelift, a small change here or there, but nothing new to hang their hat on. Was it 2001?"

Yes, 2001 was the first model year for this basic design.

That's better than the Ford Ranger, which hasn't been redesigned since around 1990 or so (except for sheet metal & etc)...

Since this is a comparison forum, we might note that the CR-V has been completely redesigned twice since 2001.
    That's what I was sitting here thinking; three CR-Vs to one Escape (although 2001 was the last model-year for Gen I)

That's what I was sitting here thinking; three CR-Vs to one Escape (although 2001 was the last model-year for Gen I)

Most likely a big reason the Duratec35 doesn't fit in the Escape. It's an older design which was engineered long before the D35 was conceived.
    I think the 221 hp version in the Fusion would be a healthy upgrade, personally. These arent about being hot-rods. More economy should be Escape's mantra. Its V6 is adequate in power.
    I did some research on the Twin Force I4 and it sounds nice, and then again it sounds too nice to be true. I really don't see Ford sticking a twin turbo vehicle in a vehicle like the Escape. The prohibitive cost and decreased reliability in addition to decreased fuel economy don't seem worth it in this class.

Also, Ford is claiming MPG equal to a diesel. I would be amazed to see this, as diesel contains about 10% more energy per gallon, which leads to a diesel being about 15% more efficient, hence the better power and fuel economy.

Ultimately, I predict we may see some smoke but not a lot of fire. The next time Ford does something innovative will be the first time they have been successful at it since introducing the original Taurus.
    I think the 221 hp version in the Fusion would be a healthy upgrade, personally. These arent about being hot-rods. More economy should be Escape's mantra. Its V6 is adequate in power.

Well the PIP is supposed to produce ~240 HP AND get better gas mileage than the current 200 and 221 HP versions of the D30 in the Escape and Fusion. It's no D35 or Honda engine but it should be a welcome upgrade.
    I did some research on the Twin Force I4 and it sounds nice, and then again it sounds too nice to be true.

I agree.

I really don't see Ford sticking a twin turbo vehicle in a vehicle like the Escape. The prohibitive cost and decreased reliability in addition to decreased fuel economy don't seem worth it in this class.

Actually the TF is supposed to be priced the same as a V6 and if you've been paying attention for the last say, 15 years, turbos aren't unreliable anymore.

Also, Ford is claiming MPG equal to a diesel. I would be amazed to see this, as diesel contains about 10% more energy per gallon, which leads to a diesel being about 15% more efficient, hence the better power and fuel economy.

Not equal to, but rather LIKE a diesel. Most numbers I've seen point to 33% better than a comparably powered V6.

Ultimately, I predict we may see some smoke but not a lot of fire. The next time Ford does something innovative will be the first time they have been successful at it since introducing the original Taurus.

You may have noticed that Ford will be releasing a new tranny similar to Audi's DSG at the same time the TF motors will be released. If the TF and this tranny both live up to the rumors, Ford is going to have some top notch, if not class leading, powertrains in a year or two.
    Turbos have certainly become more reliable but certain manufacturers, specifically ones known for producing reliable cars (Honda, Toyota, etc.) stay away from them.

As for Ford's new transmission, again, I'll believe it when I see it. These reports of new engines and transmissions are coming from Ford. Once other sources start applauding them, I'll start believing it might be true. I'd LOVE for one of the domestic manufacturers to start producing quality and innovative products, but they are about 20 years behind at this point.
    specifically ones known for producing reliable cars (Honda, Toyota, etc.) stay away from them.

The new RDX has a turbo I4.