Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    "oh yeah, none of my friends like lifts either, so i speak within a group of wheel and tire mod people when i say no one else would attempt."

You have friends???? (j/k)
  • fishookedfishooked Member Posts: 14
    Anyone that has the double cab please sound off and let me know what you think of it!

I am seriously considering one next year, and I would love to hear your experiences!

Also if you have the cap for the back what do you think of that too would help.

Here's something I noticed at the dealer - they had a nice double-cab with a cap on it, but I noticed that the bedliner was under the rail, and I'd really only want one with an over the rail bedliner. So my real question is:

Does anyone also have a cap with an above the rail bedliner? The dealer said it may make some noise when your driving because the seal isn't that tight, but I don't believe him. Anyone have this setup? Thanks!
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Exactly six months ago today I bought the new 2002 Ranger XLT I told you guys about (back then).
    I'm happy to say I still have, still like it, and have had NO PROBLEMS with it.

Let me repeat that for the Toy crowd: I HAVE HAD ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS RANGER IN SIX MONTHS AND 8500 MILES!

Gas mileage has been a consistent 17-18 MPG, and most driving is high-speed highway.

In comparing this Ranger to the 1999 Tacoma I had, I would favor the Ranger in the following areas: Ergonomics, seats, stereo, transmission, ride and rear doors. The Tacoma gets the nod for: engine sounds and wind noise. Everything else is a wash IMHO.

BTW- Changing the oil and filter is a pure pleasure compared to the Tacoma. There are NO skid plates getting in the way. Yes, I do have the skid plate package from Ford. The oil pan and filter are WAAAAY up in there, and skid plates are not needed under the pan. the filter is right next to the pan, and hangs straight down, so you don't have oil dripping all over the place when you remove the filter. SWEET!
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Good job then.
    My Taco is nearing 1 year old (10 month), with 19K miles, highway, city and weekend offroading. And I have absolutely no problems with my Tacoma. None of tbunders' water in the cab when it rains, rattle in the dash, etc.
    One question: how fast do you drive on freeway to get 17-18mpg?
    I've ridden in a Ranger once...2WD from the looks of it, probably the cheapest model, from a rental company. It had obnoxious yellowish plush interior, looked really cheap and felt cheap. But my grudge with Ford is not just because of Rangers: it seems that Fords' ideology is "Get them out the door first, work out the bugs later". It shows up every year.
    And changing oil on Tacoma isnt that bad at all. Yes.....you have to remove the skidplate (Oh my god!!!! You mean I have to turn wrenches just to change oil?!?!? Grow up, will ya. If you don't want to get down and dirty with your truck, take it to Jiffy Lube and let some 17yo highschool dropout do it for you) if you want to do things right, otherwise you may get oil in the skidplate. Filter is easily accessible from the drivers side wheel well: just remove the inner resin cover, and filter is right there, you don't have to be a contortionist and try to get to it from below.
    But I'll give Ford that much credit: they designed it easy, from the sound of it.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Dont' let the Toyota crowd let you think the Ranger is any less reliable/capable of a truck. I bought a 98 Ranger and never heard the end of the comments of the "Ranger is garbage" "unreliable" "cant do this, can't do that" from the Toyota crowd. I now have over 65,000 miles on my Ranger and it runs great. Your 02 Ranger will give you many years of enjoyment. The Ranger now has the SOHC 4.0 with 210HP and 240ft/lbs of torque and will plain outpower the Tacoma..
    I drive 24 miles each way to work every day, most at freeway speeds of 65-80 MPH, depending on traffic, but seldom less than 65 MPH.

Its not that I mind wrenching on my vehicles when required, but Ford has clearly demonstrated that there are alternatives to NEEDING skid plates that have what, EIGHT bolts holding them on that MUST be removed to change the oil. Its not about wrenching, its about TIME! SHEEEEZ! What's up with the ATTITUDE?? No need to respond like a butthead!

Anyway, my oil/filter changes now take about 1/2 the time as on the Tacoma, and are cleaner to boot.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Just don't poon out when you see what Im driving. What if I set up a few friends from the midwest to meet up with you? Kansas right - I think I can arrange it.

I am a student at MSU school of Chem Engineering, and school is gonna kick my [non-permissible content removed] here for a few years. I don't know when I said that I wanted to take you on in a prerunner, thats suicide, but you still said you'd outwheel a 4x4 trd and thats BS. Anyway, I am quite surprised that Im not any hotter over this so i guess its not as big a deal to me anymore. I am serious as a heart attack about doing it in about 3 years,though, when I take a break from school. Im taking a huge road trip and your place can definitely be one of the stops. We'll bet a steak on it.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's tone it down just a bit and stick to the trucks please. If you see something that iritates you, firing back is only going to drag things into the gutter. Sometimes it's simply better to IGNORE things and move ahead...

Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Just a reminder that every Thursday you can join the Subaru Crew for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Stop in to talk about Subaru or just to say hello!... Hope to see you there!!

/direct/view/.eea5f48

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• polsenpolsen Member Posts: 25
    When the toyota guys quote the fourwheeler comparison in which the toyota got first place they conveniently forget that the Wrangler without lockers tied with the Toyota truck with rear lockers. Now that the wrangler has lockers front and back it should run all over the Tacoma. The liberty doesn't have to beat the Wrangler just the toyota truck, which it should with a shorter wheelbase, less overhand front and rear. Add a locker and the toyota will have a battle with just about any other vehicle.
    Sorry, that sarcastic remark was not directed at you.
    as for gas milage: not too bad, not too great either. I get 19.5 or so when I stick to 70 average speed, 18 when I drive 80 all the time.
    Thanks for the apology.

I don't actually recall the gas mileage I got on my '99 Tacoma, but it was never over 20. I will also freely admit to having a lead foot, which doesn't help gas mileage, but I sure like surprising some of those "sporty" cars when the lights turns green.

BTW- we also have a 2001 Expedition that we've had for 19 months and 18K miles. No problems with it either.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    On a Ranger, why don't you wait until 85,000 and then tell us how it is.

Toyota = No problems in 85,000 miles
    Ranger = No problems in 8,500 miles

I kill me!
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    I have one of each.

1988 Ranger - 161,000 miles. Total repairs = radiator, water pump, transmission seal.

2001 Tacoma - 20,000 miles. No repairs.

I will drive the Ranger over the Taco everytime if it's available because it's more comfortable, more powerful, better A/C, rides better, handles better and fits the driver better. Everybody else does too, which is why it's always out.

The Taco is reliable, no question, but so is the Ranger, and it's a hellova nicer truck.

Anybody who doesn't like Fords, just hasn't owned a Ranger. IMHO
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    89' Ranger: 220,000 miles. Total repairs: water pump (early in life at 85K miles), clutch (210k miles), fuel pressure regulator (185k miles), A/C (195k miles).

I out grew the Ranger and my father is now using it as a daily driver.. My current truck is an F250 SuperDuty.. (dang, one problem.. Idle Air Control at 31k miles), currently has 45k miles on it..
    So, I guess my SuperDuty isn't quite as good as the Ranger I had (because of the IAC fixed under warranty), but is definately not a problem or unreliable vehilce.
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    German Chrysler is coming out with a new Bably Blue and Penelope Pink version this fall. It will be a hit with the Lady Liberty crowd. Women love this Jeep !! It looks EFFEMINATE !!
    Too bad Yankees don't design Jeeps anymore. Now, the Germans do it....
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Member Posts: 257
    think frey44 is a female. (s)he's into this sissy jeep thing. either way, this "sissy jeep" still managed to get second in four-wheeler's four wheeler of the year competition. beaten only by it's bigger 'sister'? the GC which cost more than double the libs price. hmmm....do you think this polsen dude is onto some sensible thinking? shorter overhangs, shorter wheelbase.....
    pluto- funny how you failed to mention the wrangler tied the tacoma-- and what's this? it wasn't even locked? a non-locked vehicle tying a locked tacoma? now that isn't quite fair is it? oh yeah, in your eyes it probably is. you'd have to be a liberal thinker to live down there, eh?

sad- ill be waiting. seriously. no hard feelings. go look at a liberty and just open the door and climb inside. listen to the solid clunk the doors make when closed. it's a little sherman tank. you'll see what i mean. heck, drive one. for $20G's, you can have yourself a base model with the 210 horse power monger V6, a/c, 5-spd, 4wd, and a real transfer case with direct connection. a no brainer for me when comparing your 2wd to this. add some real tires and call it a day. just my opinions though.
    i was hoping DC would offer baby blue for '03 (before i found out all about the factory lowering and found a holdover 2002 for nothing). it is actually my favorite blue color. my mercury is portofino blue, which is baby blue in pastelle. and my '97 ZR2 reg. cab was bright stellar blue metallic, also baby blue. sadly, factories don't offer this color much anymore. i think someone said it's hard to color match when painting is required.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Time to stop trying to antagonize each other in this topic, OK? I've been trying to let you sort it out without stomping on it, but you're getting close to leaving me no other option. Everyone understands who does or doesn't like certain brands of trucks. There are no points left to score, no minds that you're going to change.

Time to tone it down a bit and move on

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    I don't think you'll find many taco owners who won't admit that the Wrangler is a better off-roader. If hard-core crawling is what you're into, the Wrangler can't be beat.
    However, the wrangler is really a purpose-built vehicle. It doesn't have nearly the versatility that the Tacoma (or any other compact pickup) has.
  • issisteelmanissisteelman Member Posts: 124
    I actually saw a Liberty up close last night for the first time. It was a nice green color. I actually think it may be growing on me. Although I won't ever believe it is as good off roading as a wrangler, it does look like a nice mini-SUV for those who cannot afford (or don't really want) one of the bigger SUV's.

Hope to see you all in the playground that is my back yard...............Steelman.
    If so, sure they'll out wheel a Taco offroad - good luck trying to find someone to argue that point. I can't see the point in spending that much money on something that is still a Jeep with its complete lack of road manners. Nice offroaders, though, w/o a doubt. Are the Rubicons a sure thing now?

03 Tacos get std abs, no official word on the throttle by wire as of yet.
    yes, the rubicon is a sure thing. i laid eyes on one that sat for exactly 2 hours at the jeep dealer here in DM before the proud owner drove off. it was truly an awesome vehicle. it has "serious off-roader" written all over it. they are only building 8000 Rubicons and for only one year. they will be even more sought after than those golden eagles that sat in garages since the early 80's. you know, the "dixie" in dukes of hazzard?
    truly an awesome vehicle. best looking jeep ever built imo.

interestingly enough, the Rubicon comes stock with 245/75/16 tires. the same exact size stock off-road equipped rangers get. 30.7 inches tall, just like the 265/70/16 the tacoma gets, but just a little thiner. and it gets the new goodyear mt/r's. a wicked looking tire. i kind of wished i had got those instead of the BFG's, but logical thinking has cooled my jets of trading tires with less than 600 miles on them.
    I really wish they had hung their b@!!s out and made a few more. I hardly think too many folks will be building them up as much of a collector's item they are. I bet they will all wind up being garagers for the die-hard and wealthy true Jeepers. I commend Jeep for going thru with them, though, and wish all other manufacturers would do the same.

Not to stir up trouble, but a guy I know was visiting a friend of his that is a Toy dealership owner who showed him the cover of a brochure that talked about a new Tacoma TRD 2. He wouldn't let him open it, but the cover said 32" tires, larger fuel cell, f/r lockers, and 3" more travel and more gc. Oh man this could be cool, but I seriously doubt its seriousness.

The mtr's are a great looking tire. That seems to be the biggest thing going now in the off road rubber dept. now. Even though you will certainly laugh about this, I am thinking of getting a set when I replace the BFG MTs for winter tires. I have to have mud tires and I have yet to get stuck while I am the only 2x that parks at the particular deer camp. I go thru lots more than my dad's Z71 with stock ATs.
  • 73cjdude73cjdude Member Posts: 13
    Doesn't the Tacoma regular cab have the shorter wheelbase ? 103.3" vs 104.3 ?
    tighter turning circle 34.4 vs 35.9
    Less Width 66.5" vs 71.1"

I'd go with the Rubicon Wrangler 8o) NOT .....
    On the side of a TJ last night, it said "Toyota Recovery Team." I had to laugh, despite being a toyota fan.
    decals: TTORA guys have "Official Jeep Recovery Vehicles" decals, seen them? Seems that both camps are competing with who can recover most :)

short wheelbase: Yes there is one....and I totally forgot about it. So there goes the "I'll do a zero point turn where Tacoma needs a 3-point turn" tbunders' arg, at least for regcabs. The trouble, of course, is that RCs don't have a V6, nor they need one, since RC Tacoma is not an SUV but a truck in its' best.
    you actually consider this vehicle a truck? ok, it does (may?) have a transfer case, but that's about it. oh yes, a bed, let's not forget the bench seat, 28" tall tires, and 2" by 2" rear window. got those on me. i wonder how many jeeps RC toyotas have recovered with their puny I-4 sludge offering. you've got to be kidding. and lets not forget, that to recover anything with a toyota would require the owner buying some towhooks as toyota doesn't even offer them on their big and bad off-roader from the factory. ROFLMAO

comparing a jeep to any toyota is laughable. that's like comparing a 5.0 mustang to a V6'd stratus. the jeep scene is above and beyond what the toyota scene will ever be. heck, the liberty has more aftermarket parts available for it than the tacoma already. that's pretty sad. companies know people will buy the jeeps and actually take them off-road. tacoma owners haul coolers down to the beach and complain about the coolers denting their beds. i guess if i came up with an SMC composite bed for the tacoma i may have something, eh? stil lmao.
    You must be thinking of your old Ranger.
    Tacoma RC 4x4, with SAME tires (31s) as other Taco 4x4s. Yes, it has a bench seat....what good are buckets in a single-cab truck?
    2.4L I4 that is offered in 4x2 model is bulletproof.
    2.7L I4 in the 4x4 version is bulletproof too, has not had any sludge problems, and has been around for a long time. Making things up again, aren't we, bundy? By the way, I'm still waiting for all those busted up pencil-thin A-arm cases. Show me some proof.
    If you want to badmouth regCabs, prove it. Go to TTORA boards and issue a challenge to Iowa members with regcabs (or someone nearby) in your Liberty.
    Then we'll see.

What are the aftermarket parts you speak of?
    Poozer roofrack? Pretty lights? Extra-strength grocery bag hooks? Lip-stick holder?
  • 73cjdude73cjdude Member Posts: 13
    *I wonder how many Jeeps RC Toyotas have recovered..................

I wonder how many more of our offroad vacation tripswill be ruined because
    we have to spend 3 days of the trip helping some rockstacking mallrunner back to
    the trail head !! 8o)
    No tow hooks ! ? guess we'll have to put the wench cable around the cab !!

*Comparing a Jeep to any Toyota is laughable.

Oh Really ! I've seen some very nice FJ's on the trail ?
    My wimpy 2x has towhooks.

More aftermarket parts for the Liberty? OMG, prove that. I am looking at performanceproducts.com under liberty suspension products they sell. The ONLY thing there is airbags. Then under "performance upgrades", the only thing there is K&N stuff. Brake upgrades -- colored brake calipers. LMFAO.

Wasn't it your link where a guy said "Karen and Tim have been L.O.S.T. members from the beginning. They have a 15.75" LLL after thier Lift and Tires. They used a 1.5" internal puc with a .5" on top spacer in the front and a 2.5" puc in the rear. They have recently added some 265/75/16 Goodyear MTRs and have ARB Air Lockers front and rear. This is about as good a setup as you can have at the moment!"

Read that last sentence. I guess your favorite website just told a lie, huh?
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    I suspect that tbunder won't have his ladies jeep too long. His ego is already noticably shaken.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    a "Ken & Barbie" Jeep. In all fairness, though, my little sister does like those cute-utes.
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    The Liberty was designed primarily by Daimler german egineers for American soccer moms. It was never intended for serious offroading. It is being marketed to those who want to go to the grocery store in the freezing rain, in New England. Steer clear of the Liberty if you are an offroader, unless you want to get the wrong kind of looks. Order one in Delicious Pink or Luscious Lavender...
    ;-)
    Hummer H2 in Tbunder's near future.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    I've seen the new Hummer.. To me it wasn't a real hummer.. But just a pickup truck with a hummer body.. No 4 wheel independant suspension, narrower, lower ground clearance etc..

The main appeal to me was the fact that it had that military look and utility to it. (however military folks don't use them to get groceries).

All that said, if I was given either one, no doubt I'd take it in a second and love it.

plus, if you listen to some on this board, the Tacoma is a better off-road vehicle than the Hummer..
    My thought is if you took the Ranger or Tacoma, and spent and additional 15k on it to customize to the specific type of 'off roading' your interested in, (off road racing, rock crawling, mud bogs) you'd end up with a far better vehicle and still be cheaper than the Hummer.
    same old stuff. although i must admit my mouth was watering from the new shots they have up on their site. at least it looks like they're pounding the little thing. reminds me of my ZR2 days.
    absolutely. the H2 is just a Suburban with a different body style.
    New H2 is a joke, an overpriced piece of machinery with overbuilt parts. Yes, it has a big and powerful engine. It's a good way to impress the neighbours. But GM has gone away from the original H that is a good offroader, and made ...well, a grocery getter/mallrunner for rich yuppies who have nothing to do with their money.
    Also, even the original Hummer was not that good for certain tasks: too wide and no flex whatsoever, kinda like some of those Liberties on tbunders' site.
    regarding....TOWHOOKS! And how they are an option on all Jeeps except hardcore offroad models (Overland and Rubicon).
    See msg #420 in Jeep Liberty Troubles forum.
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    The H2 is purely a grocery getter/mall runner, and all this coming from a compact truck fan.

It is getting really deep in here.

I am amazed at how many of you all think off-roading is the end all, be all, duty any vehicle is blessed to perform.

Of course, maybe steelman needs it, according to his messages. However, who here, like me, doesn't give a rats (butt) about off-roading?
    How else would you categorize H2?
    Fine..lets say it's not about offroading. What practical applications does H2 have? Yes...it can seat how many..8 people? It sits high, it gets 13mpg, it's heavy......Chevy Suburban with a 50K price tag.
    So it's primary duty is what now? Haul people? I wonder how many people you'll see loading H2 with rocks and lumber, etc. Can you give a practical reason (aside from keeping up with Joneses or because I can) to buy H2?
    you're right, of course, but remember that Tbunder is the one who keeps making claims that his Liberty is the best off-roader on the planet.
    Now personally, I'm not much of an off-roader either. If a vehicle I'm looking to purchase happens to be good in the dirt, then so much the better. -but it's not a quality I generally shop for. I think the Liberty was a good move by Jeep, and for a "mainstream" SUV, it, like the Xterra, is probably a very competant off-roader.
    The Hummer argument is interesting because IMO, there's only 1 reason people buy a Hummer, whether it's the original hummer or the new H2: Image. Nobody spends that kind of money to beat the hell out of a vehicle off-roading. So really, I'm glad that GM introduced the H2 as I'd rather have people buying that instead of the original Hummer since it's smaller and takes up less room on the highway, and is probably easier to drive. (less likely these people will get in accidents)
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    It is pretty much a no brainer.

Hummer (H1)
    $98,681 - $116,560

Hummer (H2)
    $48,800 - $51,375

Eagle nailed it, it is all about image. But calling it a mall-runner/grocery getter is just plain off. However, don't you have to take your Tacoma to the grocery store once in a while, too?

The exception here is that if you can afford a $50k truck for whatever reason, you probably are not the one doing the grocery shopping.

"I wonder how many people you'll see loading H2 with rocks and lumber, etc"

I wonder how of many trucks with TRD stickers ever get "custom pinstriping" or even a bit of rock stuck in their tread.
    Alright, you have a good point, there are also exceptions. But I'm still convinced that higher percentage of Tacomas are out there getting pinstriped and beat up by rocks than there are H2s.
    Price is not a practical reason to buy H2, but a mere advantage to buying H2 over H1.
    next May, when the Hummer club is in town. We happened to stay at the same hotel where these guys stayed. They went out EVERY day and literally drove their Hummers into the ground. Beat the absolute crap out of them! So much so that they had their own mechanics that wrenched on Hummers well into the night. The owners all had extra vehicles to go out to dinner in, ranging from tow vehicles (Ford F350s) to Caddies, Ferraris and Harleys. Very few of the Hummers were actually driven to Moab. There were two 18-wheel flatbeds parked next to the hotel that each carried three Hummers away when they all left, while several others were trailered away. The few that left under their own power towed trailers with spare wheels/tires and parts. Obviously, these guys had more money than they could possibly ever spend, but not all Hummers are used by soccer moms to go to the store. I wonder if the H2s will be allowed into this elite club?

Oh, I forgot. We took our Expedition (didn't own the Ranger then) and actually took it off-road a few times (we were there mainly for mtn biking). Suffice it to say that an Expy is not a very good off-roader, but we had fun anyway.
    Remind me never to buy a hummer no matter how many millions I have.

I know lots of guys that run tacomas in the ground a moab, and they have never had to stay up all night fixing something. Is there a link to this Hummer club with pics of them at moab? I gotta feeling it was something like a great white shark in a bathtub. Some think that money will accomplish anything. I wonder if they drove or if their chaufers did?

Those things are tanks, I will concede that. But there is one type of offroading that they SHOULD not be allowed to partake in and that is rock crawling. No flex, and the length of a suburban. Again I would like to see pics of the Hummers in moab.
This discussion has been closed.