Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• nra1871nra1871 Member Posts: 26
    Yes it is still under warranty, but having to go back to the dealer this often is inconvenient to say the least, and doesnt make me feel good about what will happen once the warranty expires. So I shouldn't complain about quality as long as it's covered by the warranty still?
    The upper control arm on the drivers side had to be replaced, due to the loud groan and shudder id get going over the smallest bump.
    I doubt I qualify for a lemon buyback, it's drivable and not a hazard, and I imagine I would have a hard time convincing an arbiter that its an utter lemon. But lemon or not, I am less than thrilled with the quality.
    As for the toyota engines locking up, I believe that was on two specific engines, and toyota owned up to most of it and is covering those affected.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Why shouldn't he be able to say what he wants about his truck? I would never tell someone with a less than perfect tacoma shut up just b/c it makes the others look bad.

Oh and I am writing this down, LOL -->"plus, it's still under warranty, so what are you complaining about?"
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    "Yep, the Ranger that the Toyota crowd claimed was going to breakdown, fall apart, be junk... is still running like new."

-the funny thing is, I don't recall anyone in the "toyota crowd" claiming that your truck was going to fall apart. In fact, I think you are the only one who talks about it, at a rate of about once every couple of weeks.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    "plus, it's still under warranty, so what are you complaining about?"

>>The Tacoma's warranty is roughly twice as long as the Ranger's. Why don't you take your own advice and quit complaining about them for the next five years or 60K miles?

Just kidding, we don't want you to go. You add a lot of humor here!
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Yep, that will instantly become an another tbunder classic.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Hoping the 04 Tacoma gets the new 4.0 combined with the charger!!!...can you say 300 horse! :)
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Member Posts: 257
    try 7 years/70K miles- powertrain. i don't think toyota can match this.

the "what are you complaining about" quote was a reference to the toyota sludge issue with people complaining their car was sitting with 40K miles and locked up and toyota not fixing it and blaming them. they have just finally owned up to their own mistake and are fixing these crap vehicles.

im just wondering why you bought a ford when you like toyota's so much?
    I doubt TRD will release a charger right away...will probably take a year.
    Oh yeah....like Dodge is offering 10K warranty...that does not make Dodges run any better.

The warranty remark was about Ford: it's still giving people 3 years.

As for the "what are you complaining about": nice try, can't get out of this one. It was NOT in reference to sludged 3.0L engines, but rather directed at nras' Ford.

Since you loathe Liberty so much, what say you about "decontentization" of new 2003 Liberties?
    while backing Ford, do you? I laugh every time I hear the 7/70 warranty commercials on TV. If any car manufacturer should be required by law to carry such a warranty - its Dodge/Chrysler (IMO). We had Dodge trucks at work in a welding shop a few years back - JUNK (except for the aftermarket bumpers) and my mom has a Chrysler car which had every single plastic piece on the air vents broken off after 2 years. Without a doubt the most cheaply made cars out there (IMO).

I hear horror stories about fuel pumps as well.
    what you want, but i still have longer warranty, more power and torque, a real transfer case, dana axles, more ground clearance than standard tacomas, and two towhooks.

never said "dodge" was offering 10K warranty. what are you talking about? i have a jeep, not a dodge. it is backed by the best warranty in the truck business. yes i know jeep is built by chrysler, but you don't have a lexus, you have a toyota. either way, your 5 year/ 60,000 mile powertrain warranty is small compared to my 7/70K powertrain warranty.

sad- who said anything about recalls? toyota never has any simply because they fail to accept any fault for their vehicles' problems? the sludgy engine problems is a perfect example. ford, otoh, stands behind their stuff.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    The 7/70 is there for the reason that all Jeeps (with the exception of a Wrangler) or pretty junky. I used to sell cars for Enterprise and every Grand Cherokee we had was horrible. The engines were just awful. For a Jeep, I don't think 7/70 is enough. For a Toyota, 5/60 is too much!

As for Liberties. Too bad they replaced the Cherokee. The Cherokee was a MUCH better off road vehicle than the Liberty. And more manly to boot!

Obi
    "more ground clearance than standard Tacomas": that's pretty good. Yeah...let's compare an SUV (And a Jeep) to a 2WD Tacoma. I guess you have to find at least something good about Liberty....would you like to compare ground clearances with a -->standard<-- 4WD Taco (RC, XC or DC).
    No arguying with other points: Liberty does have a bigger engine and Danas. Too bad you can't fit decent-size tires under it and will end up taking out the front bumper on ANY kind of a rock step.
    What's your beef with "real T-case"? Is it the same as having overbuilt A-arms just so you can sleep better at night?

Dodge: no, you didn't say anything. I mentioned Dodge to make a point: just because warranty is long, does not mean that the vehicles are any good.
    Dodge is the best example: 10y/100K warranty sounds great on paper, but it does not make Dodges run any better, consume less oil and break less parts.
    obi- the liberty is a lot better vehicle than any cherokee. they share no parts and the liberty is built in an all new facility that is state of the art. it adopts manufacturing techniques the likes of mercedes-benz.

scorp- its funny how every time i have ever pointed out any advantage the lib or ranger has over any toyota, you down whatever vehicle im talking about simply cuz you can't hang with either point im making.

obi- im sorry you had problems with your jeeps, but i can say that the new liberty vehicle is leaps and bounds better than any other jeep previously built. and as far as it's off-road ability is concerned, edmunds itself has said that it can and will go anywhere any cherokee has gone. and it is open to just as many mods as a cherokee has ever been open to.

scorp- i meant standard tacoma 4x4. 10.2 inches of GC for my liberty is nearly as much as TRD's what, 10.8? a standard tacoma 4x4 comes with smaller tires, so the lib would be easily over a standard 4x4 taco in GC. don't you just hate facts? keep trying though.

obi- go here and check out some pics. no, the liberty is no wrangler, but it will go many places that other 4x4's can't go simply cuz it is short and high up. scorp claims you can't fit good tires under it. in reality, a 30x9.5 can fit fine. and with a 2.5 inch lift, 32" tires are the choice. i find it quite amusing each time i see saddaddy and scorpio's posts running down the liberty when in reality it will go ANYWHERE and more than any tacoma TRD dares to tread. simply cuz it is shorter wheelbased and has more power and torque.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=293763

there are tons of pics on this site to view the lib's off-road ablities.

"10.2 inches of GC for my liberty is nearly as much as TRD's what, 10.8?"

>>Standard Tacoma's GC is 10.8", the TRD's is a full foot (12").

"a standard tacoma 4x4 comes with smaller tires, so the lib would be easily over a standard 4x4 taco in GC"

>>Probably more of your BS - I don't feel like researching to prove you wrong for the millionth time.

"liberty is built in an all new facility that is state of the art. it adopts manufacturing techniques the likes of mercedes-benz"

>>Uhm....OK....sure...........

"the liberty...will go many places that other 4x4's can't go simply cuz it is short and high up...it will go ANYWHERE...simply cuz it is shorter wheelbased..."

>>Wouldn't a Samurai or Kia Sportage render your Liberty obsolete with their shorter wheelbases, then? How embarrasing!

"you have a toyota. either way, your 5 year/ 60,000 mile powertrain warranty is small compared to my 7/70K powertrain warranty."

>>Wake up, **TBUNDY** Jeep upgraded their warranty in an effort to put to rest people's fears about Jeep's notorious quality/reliability problems (of which you're already beginning to experience!). Hyundai is doing the same thing with its 10/100K warranty. Toyota relies on their reputation for building quality, reliable products to sell cars, not damage-control extended warranties.

Seems like you were misguided (by the salesman again?!) about the facts which persuaded you to buy your Liberty. Kinda like when you bought your Ranger because you were told it had a locker, right???

"don't you just hate facts? keep trying though."

>>No, I like facts. When arguing with you, they're always in my favor!
    **TBUNDY** can't accept that what he thought was a full-fledged Jeep is nothing more than a "Ken & Barbie" version of the Kia Sportage. Go easy on him, would you?
    Speaking of lockers, how hard is it to get a base tacoma 4x4 with a locker as an option?
    seems like you're living in the past. if you like leaky floors, windows, and terrible reliability, then i understand why you like the cherokee.

obviously you're living in the past. but the liberty has it all over any past cherokee. more power and torque is the first thing i can think of. who needs a V8 when you have a balanced V6 producing over 200 horses and lb/ft of torque?

higher GC than last years cherokee as well. dana axles all around. now, the rubicon would pull your old CJ around any trail. i laughed at your post. go back to watching reruns of TJ Hooker with that father who loved you so much he broke down and parted ways with his "bought new" '73 CJ. what a wheelin machine. those old CJ jeeps just can't be beat now can they? im surprised the wooden paint hasn't rusted away. LMAO

pluto- as usual, you speak of nothing you know anything about (12 inches of GC on TRD? whatever bud). we're used to it though. you're a hoot around here buddy. i actually am starting to think you own a kia. i wouldn't be surprised.
    Right.....you just forget the fact that one can not buy a 4x4 without 31s (call a dealer and try it, for the kicks).
    I'm not downplaying the big engine nor Dana axles. I have my doubts about your small tires....I've seen Liberty break its bumper open climbing onto a ledge (And he had 3" of lift). Nevermind the bumper, he also destroyed the windshield fluid container "safely" located right behind the plastic.
    As for "going anywhere and beyong any Tacoma because it has shorter wheelbase": so.....since Taco RC has 103.3 wheelbase, which is an inch shorter than Liberty, can I now bash Liberty? Since obviously RC has even shorter wheelbase.
    It is possible..it's just a $340 option (Toyota offered it in 2002, so it might be in 2003 catalog too). There's a TTORA member who bought one with it. I think you just have to be persuasive with the dealer.
    "who needs a V8 when you have a balanced V6"

>>I guess you didn't know a V8 (in most configurations) is a naturally balanced engine requiring no counterbalances. A V6 isn't naturally balanced and requires power robbing counterbalances that increase inertial resistance. The biggest advantage of the V6 is that it's COMPACT and can be mounted transversely in front wheel drive cars. Straight 6s or flat (aka boxer) 6s ARE naturally balanced, however. Most knowledgeable people wouldn't refer to a V6 as being a balanced engine, **TBUNDY**

The Tacoma TRD certainly has 12" of clearance: http://www.automotive.com/reviews/2001/Toyota/2001_Toyota_Tacoma.html

Your complete lack of automotive knowlege perfectly explains why you bought a Jeep Liberty and think it's the best thing around...

>seems like you're living in the past. if you like leaky floors, windows, and terrible reliability, then i understand why you like the cherokee.

Should I describe the two times I walked out to my ranger and found the passenger floor with an inch of water? Found it the first time and they replaced weatherstripping...second time replaced rear window seal
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I will keep coming back to this room every couple of weeks eagle.. I joined Edmunds back in late 1997 after I bought my 98 Ranger. People like allknowing, know me as Vince8 as do other Tacoma boys. After being told over and over by "the Toyota crowd that my Ranger was going to "fall apart", "junk", "unreliable" I have proven every Toyota fan wrong, and am a Toyota fans worst nightmare. A Ford Ranger owner with 70,000 trouble free miles. I also have use my Ranger 4x4 in the Cascade Mountains, deserts of Eastern/Central Oregon to MT St. Helens, Tillamook Forest, coast Range of Oregon. My Ranger has proven every bit as capable, reliable, and able as any Toyota Tacoma... Stop and take a look around you someday. You will see many Ford Rangers on the road in many variations/years ect..
    Plut.. Ground clearance is a topic that has been hashed here over and over again. Toyota measures its ground clearance from the highest point.. not the lowest..
    > After being told over and over by "the Toyota crowd >that my Ranger was going to "fall apart", "junk", >"unreliable" I have proven every Toyota fan wrong, >and am a Toyota fans worst nightmare.

Unfortunately there are us ranger owners who are proving them right, and NOT by choice.
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    yes I remember you well as vince8. I still stand by my statement, though.
    as for ground clearance, you're right. I've measured TRD's and it's about 9 1/2. Same as the ZR2 (actually the ZR2 I measured was 9 1/4). I would suspect that every manufacturer finds a way to inflate this number a little.
  • 73cjdude73cjdude Member Posts: 13
    Who needs a V8 ?? I Do 80)
    Where did I ever say anything about a Cherokee?

**higher GC than last years cherokee as well. dana axles all around. now, the rubicon would pull your old CJ around any trail. i laughed at your post. go back to watching reruns of TJ Hooker with that father who loved you so much he broke down and parted ways with his "bought new" '73 CJ. what a wheelin machine. those old CJ jeeps just can't be beat now can they? im surprised the wooden paint hasn't rusted away. LMAO

Actually pappy sold the CJ to me because he needed money to finish his 69 Bronco but thats another story!!
    The Rubicon could pull the Old CJ (Abner) around eh!! I doubt it! Abner isn't a stock CJ. Although it still has the original 401 AMC V8 it's shall we say had a few Mods done. No Dana axles I went with a set of Curry Ford 9" axles
    with Detroit in the rear and ARB in front.I've got about 8 inches of lift and it's rolling on 35's. It's not exactly your average trail rig.

Look Mr Tbunder I didn't mean to get you all chapped ! I just ribbed ya once 8o). The Liberty is a good vehicle. I just think you should be more careful with the broad statements.Like comparing it to any Jeep. There's lots of Jeeps' out there.
    nra- why don't you buy a toyota? and if you really had an inch of water in your cab, i think you have larger problems than your door seals.

pluto- my V6 has more power and torque than your wimpy 3.4, and it's balanced. so you're saying your V6 isn't balanced? or that my V6 is just so good that even when balanced, it makes more power and torque than your anemic 3.4?

lets look at some specs, just to prove scorpio wrong on a few things:

standard ground clearance-
    tacoma RC 4x4- 10.8 inches
    liberty- 10.2 inches, got me there but this varies to where it is measured. pluto just told me he has 12.0 inches of GC. well, i highly doubt that he is claiming he has that under the rear diff. i have 13" from ground to frame rail, where im assuming he's measuring from. nowhere else on that truck is there 12" of GC.

GVWR-
    tacoma; largest config.-5100
    liberty; largest config.- 5650
    that's hilarious.

curb weight-
    tacoma; largest config- 3500 lbs.
    liberty; largest config- 3857 lbs.

4x4 lo-range crawl ratio-
    tacoma TRD, and best- 2.57:1
    liberty- standard- 2.72:1
    hmmm, which one would you rather be in ascending or descending a hill? not to mention the power advantages of the jeep. LMAO

here's the clincher, ready scorp?

approach/departure angles-
    taco- all are the same, with larger tires even- 35/26 degrees
    liberty with larger tires- 38/32
    who would be bashing rocks scorp?

scorp, who's wrong? or should i say who was right? hehe

want me to dig up some more? i could start on safety issues? we've already went over the warranty disadvantages toyota offers.
    im trying to figure what i said about the liberty compared to any other jeep?
    especially modded jeeps. im not comparing it to anything other than any other stock vehicle. sans any kind of tire changes. oem tires suck on any vehicle. all im doing is defending my liberty to these tacoma guys that think it's a mallrunner. they hate facts and disadvantages when they are against their beloved tacoma. but in reality, it is just too easy to compare any ranger or jeep to the tacoma and come out on top. i have fun with them daily. the factory rear axle locker is the ONLY thing they have over any stock ranger or liberty. down on power, torque, real off-road equip. (cheap skidplates bolted onto the components they're meant to protect, cheap towhook (s), lower off-road gear ratios, iow, off-road posers) cheap standard equipment, low towing capacities, lower safety ratings, etc.

everyone knows that real off-roaders drive jeeps.

heck, some even believe that w/o even a t/c their precious taco can go places that other 4x4's can. it's a never-ending battle, but quite entertaining to say the least. the lowest ive seen them sink to though is to brag about a toyota vehicle that doesn't even exist just to say "it" has more power and torque than the 4.0 SOHC in the ford ranger. i was embarrassed for their effort after reading that one.
     but i can say that the new liberty vehicle is leaps and bounds better than any other jeep previously built

I thought you meant any Jeep!

I purchased a 2000 Tacoma 4X4 xCab TRD V6 new in March of 2000. It's been a good truck so far,but I don't see it having any advantage over the ranger. Even the old ranger 4.0 OHV . To take these trucks so deep that the locker becomes the factor deciding who would make it through, would mean that most likely your truck would be be taking body damage. I agree with scrape the LSD is a better option for a everyday driver 4x4.I have a snug top hi liner on my truck and use it to drive to work and go camping/fishing.I currently have 38000 miles.
    My brother got a 2001 Mazda B4000 last year. He has 7500 miles and no problems. His truck has gone everywhere my truck has gone with no problems. The SOHC 4.0L is a strong motor and I like the 5 speed auto.
    His truck has better seats and IMO rides smoother.
    I'm sure that the Liberty would hold it's own against other 4x4's. Heck I've seen Full size 4x4's in places that surprised me!
    nra- why don't you buy a toyota? and if you really had an inch of water in your cab, i think you have larger problems than your door seals.

I am planning on it once I pay off the ranger. And it wasn't the door seals, it was the seals on the rear window. It was ok in a light rain, but when it was pouring, I had a nasty surprise the next morning.
    my slider didn't leak at all. what year of ranger do you have? is it 4x4? what engine?

id really drive a new ranger before you buy any toyota. ford trucks are just over built compared to any tacoma. sit the two side by side. look at frame thickness, driveshaft thickness, axles, etc. the ford is just more heavy duty built and also has more power and torque. check out a new FX4 Level II. that truck is bad [non-permissible content removed]. and now that toyota is using its same torsen lsd, im sure it's okay now.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I just read your post #1728 and I guess you showed us all your supreme brainpower, the last time I checked a V-6 engine was a nicely balanced engine when the cylinder banks are at a 60 degree angle.
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    But if you are gonna cut and paste copyrighted material, you might want to include credits to the original author.

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/engine/smooth3.htm#V6

I never said that a V-6 is inherently balanced I just said the 60 degree V-6 is "nicely balanced" referring to production engines. So after your great explanation one could come to the conclusion that a V-6 engine with 60 degree cylinder banks is a "nicely balanced engine"?. Also isnt the term "boxer" normally used to describe an engine that has horizontally opposed pistons? Maybe you should go back to the web site that you cut and pasted the info in post #1740 from and read about the "boxer" engines, either that you can go to the Subaru or Porche web sites.
    I dont claim to be an engineer or an expert on anything but I do know how your basic Otto cycle engine works as well as Wankle engines.
    stang and lariat1 both show up within minutes of eachother to debate with me! Don't you just love that multiple identity feature??

Try as you might, but a V6 that's "nicely balanced" isn't PERFECTLY balanced like a flat-plane V8 or straight 6.

Case closed.

What started all this was **TBUNDY's** "who needs a V8 when you can have a balanced V6" nonsense - ESPECIALLY in HIS case being that his Liberty has a 90 degree V6. Better yet, I'll do it.

If you want to debate, why don't you ask **TBUNDY** to explain to us all how his 90 degree V6 is better balanced than a V8?

Aww, that would be picking on a fellow Ford fan, wouldn't it?
    I have often wondered why tbunder claims to know so much about off-roading yet hates lifts. Well I now know. He says this so that if any REAL offroader challenges him, he can worm out of defeat by saying "oh, well you have a lift and big knobby tires - that ain't my style." Now tbunder, when I do finally get someone to run your little grocery getter off the trails are you gonna try this crap, or is this just paranoia on my part? Cuz chances are when I come up there in the next three years like I promised, I might have more than stock height and definitely more than your 30 inch tires
    A v6 will fit in places a V8 will not. The V6 will use less fuel, and cost less in weight in and money. Don't pretend to be all-knowing on the different pedigree's of engines, especially since all you do is cut, paste, and plagiarize.

Remember the Limited Slip Differential that you "proved" was available in a Tacoma? Just because you know how to use a search engine, doesn't mean you are right.
  • h0udinih0udini Member Posts: 118
    definitely say I see more intelligence on behalf of the Toyota crowd on this board. I guess the Ford small truck guys are a different breed or something.

I, for one, would love to know how a 90 degree v6 is "better balanced" than a v8.

Any takers from the Ford boys?
    "A v6 will fit in places a V8 will not. The V6 will use less fuel, and cost less in weight in and money."

>>Where did that come from? Quit the distractions and answer the question: How is **TBUNDY's** 90 degree V6 smoother and/or better balanced than a V8?

I cut and paste because it's quicker than posting from scratch. 50% of what I posted was cut and pasted, but edited for spelling/grammar errors. The other half is mine. Go compare if you're interested.

One thing's for certain, though. I back up what I say with research (which you refer to as "cut, paste and plagiarize"). What a concept!

Do you research? Does **TBUNDY?** Do you guys have any credibility? LOL, we all know the answer to that one!
    First off, Pluto, if you notice that as you move your cursor around the screen it turns into a hand when you place it over a username, well when you click on the username some useful information pops up. If you look at both my profile and stangs you will notice that I live about 5000 miles from him and I do not own a Ford I own a Dodge. Second have you found out what a "boxer" engine is. Lastly I never said nor did anybody else say that a V-6 is more balanced than a V-8 or inline cylinder configuration. I made an observation that V-6's with 60 deg banks are nicely balanced. For those that are having trouble comprehending that statement it means that the engine runs nice and smooth.
    pluto- you're a fake. big time. you can get thrown into jail for stuff like that. edmunds, can you read? people can sue sites like this because of things like that-PLUTO!! but we wouldn't expect anything less from a minimum wage earner that can copy and paste like that. whew.

secondly, i never said anything about my V6 being better balanced than any V8- you did. all i said was "who needs a V8 when you can have a balanced V6". iow, a V6, balanced, and more powerful than that old guys' V8 in his old jeep. stop making up things plutonium- you may explode.

houdini- it doesn't surprise me that you see more intelligence in toyota guys' posts with posts like the one you just started out with. that was real intelligent. can you say plagiarize? that's what plutonium just did to try and make a point. and the all intelligent stang caught him red handed. im still rolling with laughter.

sad- i await your arrival with saliva on both sides of my mouth. do you think you'll have a 4x4 by then? or will you play luke duke and just ride along with someone who does? lmao

i can't stop laughing at you pluto. do they have textbooks down there in the mud? you may want to start reading one. doesn't matter what subject, just grab one and start reading. something may happen still.
    Yes the V6's may have 10 or 20 HP over the stock AMC V8's found in older CJ's
    but I think we know who has more torque!
    The 401ci V8 in my CJ isn't stock. It probably makes
    around 250HP. It may be old but she's got the right stuff !
    OK, so here's the record:

1. **TBUNDY** suggests his V6 is better balanced than a V8
    2. I tell **TBUNDY otherwise
    3. lariat1 says I'm wrong
    4. I prove lariat1 wrong with proof from a website
    5. midnight_caballo resorts to "cut-paste-plagiarize" to soften the blow

Do I need to remind you of what the acronym FORD stands for? Perfect example!!! No offense h0udini, you're an exception.
    But I would still like an explanation, especially from the "all knowing stang" or "tbunder1," as to how a 90 degree V6 is better balanced than a V8. And I don't care if they cut, paste or plagiarize.

As far as textbooks go, may I suggest "Grammar for Dummies" to tbunder1? I ought to cut and paste his messages, send them to Simpson along with a note admonishing them for what they let squeak through their cracks...
    It's called "fair use". Yes, Pluto should have cited the reference, but there is no reason to jump up yelling "Edmunds! You are about to get sued!"....you make it sound like you have lost an arguement and say "Well, you're ugly!".
    I never said, nor care, how a 90 degree v6 is, or is not, better balanced than a v8.

Scorp->Yes Pluto should have cited the link, and given the author acknowledgment. What he did was, according to copyright laws, illegal. It especially looks bad when he tries to pass it off as his own creation. Even if he says he obtained the information through "research", that doesn't excuse it.

And Finally, Tbunder said "who needs a V8 when you have a balanced V6 producing over 200 horses and lb/ft of torque?"

You guys are making the extrapolation that a V6 exhibits better internal balance characteristics over a v8!

Saddaddy-->Any update on your stang?
    they'll throw in whatever distraction they can.

I suppose now would be a bad time to inform **TBUNDY** the Tacoma has a "nicely balanced" 60 degree V6, while his Liberty has an unnaturally balanced 90 degree V6 with a power-robbing counter-rotating balance shaft.

That's probably because the Liberty's V6 is build on the same assembly line as Jeep's V8 to cut costs. I suppose that's what **TBUNDY** was referring to when he said Jeep is using Mercedes' production techniques, LOL!
    "obviously you're living in the past. but the liberty has it all over any past cherokee. more power and torque is the first thing i can think of. who needs a V8 when you have a balanced V6 producing over 200 horses and lb/ft of torque?"

That quote is directly from tbunds post that started all this. Now it does not take much over a 3rd grade education to understand the above statement.
    I could be wrong but from what I can tell there is no mention of a V-6 being balanced better than a V-8, it merely states that the V-6 in the Liberty is balanced (I think it is safe to assume it is balanced to reduce vibration.) and that the V-6 has sufficient power to outperform the engine available in the old Cherokee.
    Pluto, you say that you proved me wrong with your cut and paste info, now does it not state in the article that a counter rotating balance shaft is used to suppress the vibration? The last time I started a V-6 engine I did not notice any more vibration than a V-8 so I would definitely say it was nicely balanced.
    Have you figured out what a "boxer" engine is?
    Also since you dont like the V-6 because it is not "perfectly balanced" it is only logical that you do not own a V-6 Tacoma due to the excessive vibration from the unbalanced engine, either that you are very dissapointed in your choice of vehicle and secretly wish for a V-8.
    everybody here should go to midnight_stang's post #1658. He posted copyrighted pictures of a Ranger from http://www.autoworld.com.my/userimages/items/2002-08/ford-ranger-splash.jpg and didn't cite his source.

Let's all stand back, take a deep breath, and watch the "all knowing" midnight_stang redirect his copyright babble upon himself...

This discussion has been closed.