Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• ochizonochizon Member Posts: 25
    thanks... but do you think I should use a spray primer before the paint, or is that just for gloss finish?
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    2 foot water fording capacity backed by Ford. Explain that??? Big deal, what 4x4 can't do that. Modified air intake??? Tacos intake is placed so that it doesn't get water in, too. Only Toyota doesn't call it modified, cuz, well, its not - its just normal. If im wrong. please elaborate as to just what kind of special skills this FX4 has that magically let it ford 24 inches of water. I did that the other day in my dad's '90 Sierra 2wd. You obviously know alot about the differential - my comliments. However, its like buying the biggest baddest VCR ever made/built/whatever. Just cuz its an awesome VCR doesn't mean it'll play DVDs. I have no doubt that it might be the best LSD, but it ain't a locker, no matter how many specs you list on it. I'll even concede that for everyday driving, an LSD is better suited. But that thing on Ford's self-proclaimed, bad to the bone, stops for nothing, OFF ROAD model. I just don't understand it. If it was on the regular 4wd, fine - but don't put it on the fx4 "OFF ROAD" and claim superiority in the place that the truck supposedly is good for (off road).
  • tbundertbunder Member Posts: 580
    does a lsd DO when it slips? what do both wheels do then? when one is spinning, and the lsd locks the other one in, how many wheels do we have spinning now, or providing power? this new torsen is made for wheel in the air situations, pretty trick for a truck, and no locker. it acts the same.

also, i think you are not thinking just how much water 2 feet is. ford has put everything out of harms way, i had to check this out myself when i learned about it on the ranger board. kinda made me jealous, cuz i thought the FX4 just had shocks and tires over me. turns out, it has a better lsd and a higher mounted air intake and airbox. very trick, no matter how much you hate to admit it. the ultimate compact truck right now is undoubtedly a silver frost FX4 ranger. go see one. they are bad to the bone. silver paint mated to those killer alcoa wheels, tough, very tough. id trade my ranger on one if it was just me and my wife. wah. now im gonna be like everyone else and have a 4-door explorer. nonetheless, they're nice vehicles for what i need it for. these days the TRD is a dime a dozen, its even available on 2x2's, the FX4 however is very rare and makes a statement that its not a puny pre-runner.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    Why would tbunder care about all those features if he never goes offroading? After all, that's what his e-bay advertisement claims. Until now, hehehe!!! All tbunder's bidders will receive a complimentary e-mail showing tbunder's admission here at Edmunds Town Hall that he "jumps" his "pampered" Ranger and most definitely goes offroading, especially when hauling firewood. Hmmm, I wonder if bidders will wonder what other falsifications tbunder has made regarding his truck...

Hey tbundy, why don't you sell your Ranger and get an FX-4 if you like it so much? What's wrong? Are your bidders becoming disinterested?

Have a nice day :-)
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    Only cars I painted are in 1:24 scale. (model cars), but using primer seems to make it easy to apply the laters coats. Definately make it more even. Good rule is to always apply very light coats. Wetsand if you really want a seemless look. If you're going for flat black as the final spray, you can probably skip the primer and just add a extra coat or two of the black.

Pluto--->We can all see that this debate is not taken personally by you. (Yeah right)
    Kind of like how you took your defeat regarding the shock absorbment placement personally and threw a temper-tantrum on-line, then deleted it?

No, I don't take this debate personally. It's just that, as a government employee, I try to save taxpayers money in any way possible, and if that means informing a potential buyer about misinformation, I am obligated to do so.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    FX4 is rare? Yeah, duh. It just got released this year, didnt it (or was it last year?). Are you again going to start asking why "Toyota hasnt released anything that can compete with FX4"?
    Also....does that paint make FX4 look killer? 'Cause I got an all-around silver truck too, and the alum wheels match the body color. Even fenders are silver. Care for a pic? So do I have a killer truck?
    How many wheels does an LSD have with power when one lifts? 1. When a wheel slips? Roughly 1.5. Maybe a little more with the particular one on the FX4 but it still ain't 2 wheels with power, I promise. If it supplied both with power, they would call it an automatic locker, not an LSD. Companies bend the truth a good bit as it is. Here's something that you may not realize: Lets just say that it will work with one tire lifted. You would still have to give it so much more power for it to actually work than the locker would require. With the locker you can just crawl, with much more control.

If you say it is the ultimate compact - thats pretty lame. What's lamer, though, is that it says off road on the side and has an LSD.

When I first came to this board, I remember saying that you enjoy fast offroading. Why do you hate on prerunners now? I have a prerunner now, haven't mentioned that yet, I don't think. It has the locker, and only has trouble steering in the slick stuff. There is nothing puny about it!!! I got all that I could afford as insurance on 4x was too much. But I could outrun you for sure in the stuff you once claimed to enjoy the most.

I think you know why TRDs are a dime a dozen. Why doesn't Ford make enough FX4s to sell as many? To tell you the truth, I think most would realize which truly deserves to say "OFF ROAD" on the quarter panel, my friend. You can get the package on 2wd because it makes good sense if you ask me. Who says good trucks have to be rare?

Earlier you dog on Tacos b/c they don't sell as many as Rangers. Now you are saying that TRDs are inferior to FX4s cuz Yota sells so many of 'em. Im getting dizzy listening to you talk in all these circles. And don't dog on the prerunner, please, cuz Ford surely has no decent competition for the big seller.
    dude--my auction ended nearly two weeks ago, and if you haven't already read, the truck is sold little buddy. get a life and actually do some work and stop surfing at work. you may feel a little better about yourself, and it may settle this inside rage you have built up over your life. maybe call your mother? can you say raving lunatic? you!!!!

sad- not dogging on your truck at all, im just a 4x4 type of guy. im sorry if i offended you or your truck, i didn't mean it that way. you know im a very blunt speaker. remember, i live in iowa and it snows here (not this year though), so a pre-runner is really a joke. its farm country, and people laugh when they see a fake 4x4. im sure your TRD is sweet, i like them and think they are just as nice as a ZR2 or FX4. but i just think they're puny, all dressed up like a 4x4. as far as my truck, im sure your 2x2 would outrun mine in the fast stuff, its lighter and has better shocks. if i wanted, i could install some bilsteins and be competitive. and you do have to admit, the TRD is NOW all over the place. they used to be rare like ZR2's, but now they're both all over. the FX4 is a very rare package that was designed and built from input from actual off-roaders. i think you need to check out one. they're a pretty sweet package.

scorpio- your TRD is my favorite sounds like. the silver is by far the coolest toyota color. they do need to offer some type of blue though. why dont they?
    I know you weren't doggin on MY truck. The posers that drive the prerunners around to soccer games and "the office" really give these trucks a bad name. Mine has outdone 4xs offroad before, just cuz I know how to drive. By the way, I only have the locker and bilsteins, not the fender flares, for those who care. My truck is the next best thing to 4x4, just like the torsen LSD is the next best thing to the locker (tongue all up in the side of my cheek, relax.) Thanx for the apology, but it really wasn't needed, man. No worries. I was just trying to make up for the sins of all the poser prerunner owners out there that make me look like a poser too. My truck stays muddy with a fourwheeler trailer on the hitch alot of the year. I'll be gettin a 4x when my insurance comes down a little.

The reason I am adamant (sp?) about the TRD/FX4 debate is that it has the feeling of a best offering against best offering challenge. I think it is a subject worthy of discussion, and a fun one. Both are capable off-roaders and good lookin trucks. L8r.
  • wolfgar112wolfgar112 Member Posts: 5
    Never have owned a ranger, so i can't comment directly on the subject matter, but here's my experiences:

- first two cars i owned were made by ford (mustang) and GM (firechicken) respectively, i was in the repair shop every 4-8 weeks with some problem or other with both of these cars.

- the last 3 vehicles i've driven have been toyotas (2 tacos and a 4runner), total trips to the repair shop to date: 0

granted, supposedly the domestic guys have improved quality since the 80's when i got my first two cars. but i still don't feel warm n fuzzy dealing with them. i checked out a new 'stang convertible a couple of weekends ago, nice car, but i could tell the quality of the interior parts and overall fit n finish weren't up to par with some other guys. typical of the big-3, take a nice engine and surround it with low grade materials to make it more affordable. i used to thing they *wanted* the cars to fall apart at around 60-70k so you'd have to buy a new ride or have it repaired, where the dealership makes a good chunk of its money. i sometimes wonder it this is still the case..

guess i'm in that group of people who were burned before and find it hard to go back. i don't really feel i have brand loyalty with toyota, just it was damn annoying to have to go to the shop so often before. at this point i'd rather put more $ into a car initially than to deal with the headaches down the road. finding a good mechanic is rarer than hen's teeth.
    its cool that you only have those things you listed. makes your truck an un-TRD, and less recognizable. stealthier if you will. that's what i liked about my truck, it was an everyday ranger, but i had larger tires, a pretty rare color, and the FX4 front skidplate i added. i like to keep a vehicle as stock as i can (wheels and such), but when i get bikes, i do change the exhaust most of the time. i really don't like when people start messing with aftermarket wheels, i have a friend who put 17's on his highrider, it looks okay, but i prefer keeping everything "seen" stock. shocks are okay and axles, cuz that's all hidden to the average joe. later
    I don't know about blue color. I find it rather silly-looking (just like light green), unless it is pearl-blue (or really dark), so it reflects light somewhat differently...just like yours. To counter your question: why did Ford discontinue your color?
    honestly dont know. i read on a ford site that a new blue will be offered in april. dont know what shade though. i personally like light blue metallic vehicles. one of my ZR2's was sky blue metallic, and i loved it. it was the only one around here besides for one in montana at the time in '97. easy to keep clean and very uncommon. silver is very sweet though. when i bought my ranger, i had to choose between my blue and a silver frost one. i wanted the silver, but it just happened to be driven by a salesman and had 600 miles on it. my blue one had 2 miles. it was a no brainer to me. i like the blue too, its just a little harder to keep clean.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Yes i do work on alot of toyota products mostly all maintenence.I also work on a fleet of ford trucks and they usually come in for a repair.Ahh the domestics,kinda like job security! :)
    "It's just that, as a government employee, I try to save taxpayers money in any way possible"

Is this why you troll edmunds while at work... I thought so.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    There's an old saying on the trails."Real Jeeps are built one peice at a time"Having your air intake "snorkled" is cool,but what about your gear box vents?Every axle ,T/case and trans has a breather on it.If you drive till the gearboxes warm up then go in the water the coolingbox will draw water in,contaminating your gear lube.The only vehicles with fording capability are made that way by thier owners.
    kip
    BTW I work my taco very hard,it's a great work truck but it's not a jeep.I still have a CJ2A for off road.
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    Blue metallics are RELUCTANTLY offered because they 1) fade quickly in UV light and 2) are almost impossible to match up when repainting is required.
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    Boy, a month ago the FX4 was no different that a loaded XLT 4x4 (except shocks and tires) and now it's totally different (according to this forum). I guess you can take any side to any argument here at one time or another because everyone keeps changing the facts.
    the ONLY way to find out what i did was by looking at the individual spec sheet, something not offered by edmunds or any other source. it was on a ranger site, yes an FX4 is rather close to a regular off-road (both are XLT's), ford just sometimes chooses to offer high performance parts sometimes without bragging about them. ie. its use of dana axles and borg warner t'c's on all their trucks, the rancho or bilstein shocks, torsen brand lsd's, and now the claim to ford water 2 feet deep. knowing how conservative ford is with its build of trucks, that's a pretty cool claim. the specific hardware that really matters is the modified air intake, tires, shocks, and it's modified torsen lsd. all suspension springs and skidplates are the same. not changing any arguments here, just digging deeper into ford's mighty FX4. it is an awesome machine. too bad they don't make a crew cab. maybe this fall.

frey44- goodp points to think about concerning the blue color. i never thought of that.
    tbunder:

First of all you can rest assured I haven't e-mailed any bidders for your truck on E-bay those posts of yours describing some of the things you've done with your truck. Really, I'm not THAT vindictive and besides, I have better things to do with my time. But you need to realize that when you keep posting misinformation and lying, it WILL catch up to you, sooner or later. I think I speak for many people when I say I've had an ear-ful of your outrageous and totally erroneous statements, like Tacomas needing helper springs to tow, or Rangers being 400lbs heavier with 2" bigger diffs, or that Nissan Spec Vs shame the competition from Toyota with an under 6 second 0-60mph time. Same can be said regarding your statements here and on E-bay. Nothing but lies and misinformation.

stang:

If I "troll" at work, that's because I'm on top of my workload, and I assure you I'm an efficient worker who earns his keep, and then some. Say what you want about federal employees, but contrary to your beliefs, many are dedicated and hard-working. I stay with the government because I like my work, have the opportunity to transfer to different areas (and they even buy/sell my house when I transfer!), have good benefits and will retire when I'm fifty. Oh, and job security is another reason I stay. Maybe I could get paid more outside of the government, but I don't want to take the risks, especially with the economy the way it is now. So don't think for a second we're all underacheivers who couldn't make it in the "real world." Quite the opposite, especially in the upper echelons of federal service.
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    Just kidding with you buddy!! No need to explain.
    you didn't seem to get my point (i really could care less how "rest assured you try and convince me to be"- never gave two f88cks my man). the auction was OVER two weeks ago, and the truck is SOLD to an outside buyer. so go ahead and do what you do in your spare time, but dont go calling people liars when you're the king of lies and misinformation.

i won't go over them all, but a few like trying to convince people that you were able to fit a locker in a lsd equipped diff at the same time? you claiming to be the king of four-wheelers when you haven't even used your t/c. claiming a tacoma comes stock with a more powerful engine than ranger, when in reality it costs $3000 or more to get an aftermarket supercharger to surpass the rangers 20 horsepower advantage. claiming that tacoma is as safe or as solid as a ranger, when YOUR agency has rated the tacoma lower and ranger as the best compact. and saying the tacoma can tow as much or offers a higher gvwr than ranger. misinformation? you're the epitome of the word my friend. oh yeah, and when you can SHOW me proof that toyota offers ANYTHING close to performance as the spec-V or regular SE-R for the same price, lay it on me. i always love to learn new stuff about automobiles. but right now, i think you're a little steamed that Nissan is killing toyota with its vehicles. the new altima anhilates your camry in performance, options, and price (and just won the north american car of the year award-and those awards you love too, eh?). and nothing your beloved toyota company offers even comes close to the maxima's performance, let alone the in-demand xterra. so while you're out calling everyone liars and bragging about toyota like they're sent from heaven, nissan is quietly, so silently sneaking up on your brand; and in a few years down the road will drive your little 4-banger truck making company into the ground with its quality products and bargain options and performance. so to bash the new SE-R's, really shows how much of an idiot you really are. go to motortrend.com or caranddriver.com, see what they say about them. or the svt focus for that matter. toyota has nothing to compete with them, not for$16999. now, go call your mommy- maybe she'll read you some car magazines to help you go to sleep. hehe
    How tbunder finally has something that his Ranger is better at. I mean, for years he must have been had by all the Tacomas on and off road. And now finally, a year ago, a new engine comes out for the Ranger. And now tbunder is jumping with joy, sticking it to everyone "Neeee, neeee, neeeee, I have 20 more horses". Well, you said it yourself, it's only 20 more horses, and that we got spoiled, not that the power requirements got bigger.
    I guess I'm going to let you have this horse power arguement because after all, you've been had by Ford all these years, until they finally managed to work out enough bugs to release the 4.0L into Ranger crowd. So yeah. Your Ranger makes 20 more hp stock (I'm not going into that arguement about charger, I do want to compare naturally aspirated engines. But if you are gonna talk about Nissan then, don't say anything about chargers either. So those 210 hp Xterras turn into crap 170hp Xterras). I think after 6 years of domination with the current 3.4L engine, Toyota can lose the lead a little, after all, it took Ford a new engine to actually get more horses.
    There are cheaper ways to get the 17hp difference between Ford and Ranger.
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    "so while you're out calling everyone liars and bragging about toyota like they're sent from heaven, nissan is quietly, so silently sneaking up on your brand."

-do you have sales figures to show this? While I am a fan of (most) Nissan vehicles, I would wager a guess that unless the North American economy turns around soon, they will be in chapter 11. you heard it here first. :)
    Why don't you "copy and paste" some of the examples of my misinformation that you wrote a book about? Hmm, maybe because they don't exist?

Speaking of Nissan, I've been considering the Maxima SE with the new six speed, but will probably wait a year so I can see what the new models look like. BUT, I don't go around spouting horse manure about Nissans and their sub 6 second 0-60mph time like you, because I actually know what I'm talking about...

Furthermore, if you REALLY sold your Ranger a while back, why didn't you come here and post how much how sold it for, dispelling the fact that Fords have poor resale value in comparison to Toyota? Either you DIDN'T sell it and were lying as usual, or you DID sell it but didn't get as much as you planned to. So what is it?

Aww, like I really care...
    Scorpio--->17 HP peak may not look like much, but when you account for the low end torque(18 higher at peak as well) you may start to see the larger overall powercurve found in a Ford 4.0l. Cubic inches really do matter after all it seems. The 4.0l is not as racey of an engine vs. the 3.4l (HP Peak is 400 RPM higher than the 3.4l peak), yet peak torque is 600 RPM lower in the 4.0l. It takes the 4.0l longer to spin up, but there is more power to be had throughout.
  • indacurl2kindacurl2k Member Posts: 54
    Vince? Did he buy a Jeep like he said?
    From a buddy that frequents one of the Ranger off road boards here on the web, I heard that Ford (you know the "job is quality one" people) is having a little problem with their nex FX4. I think he said 4 different trucks, neither more than a week old, had the rear differentials explode. Another youngster of a truck also fell victim to an exploding transfer case. Anyone know anymore about this? News came from a Ranger board with 300 members, and I have never heard of a problem of such magnitude on a Taco board, which I frequent, with over 1500 members. Go figure. If these things persist it looks like the FX4 will be even rarer than Tbunder claimed. Hahaha. [shaking my head in disbelief]
    Are by design. I guess it's slow in here, but not that slow...
    So far I didnt hear anything that could verify this, but it sure would be a knife through the heart for Ford's quality if confirmed. Especially if that happens with multiple trucks from multiple assembly lines.
  • thehitcherthehitcher Member Posts: 56
    Both my 4x4 Tacos extended cab and the 3.4 runs great even though is has less in the power than the updated Ranger. It would be nice if the Taco has a bit more torque in the lower rpm's, but it does okay once the rpm's get above the 2500. As for myself I want decent power with quality and reliabililty as the main points. Other issues are looks and features, but nothing beats quality the quality/reliability in a Toyota. Does anyone with the Taco engage the ECT button? As for myself I never use it.
    I heard this from someone on the TTORA board who spends time on the RRORC board. I am serious as a heart attack. I know it might hurt. I wasn't able to get into the RRORC board to look for the source, but the guy who I originally heard this from is friends with Rangers owners and spends more time on the Ranger board than the Taco board. In all seriousness. True it might be heresay, but the roots of this gossip are a Ranger website. Scorpio read it too it sounds. Whether or not it is true, I DID READ THIS. LOL I know its tough.
    Yeah, I just wish pismo would post the link to it.
    Then again, stang would say that the owners got a lemon truck, and it's really not a problem.
    It could be hearsay, or just plain ole gossip. It could be the Tacoma guy got stomped by an FX4 and is spreading dirty rumors. It could be the toyota guy ran over his own dog and is now taking it out on everything else. :)

Point of the matter is, if it was a major issue, it would be on CBS, NBC, or CNN by now.
    Anyhow, you cannot blame me (or anyone else) to believe any information received in third person (maybe even fourth or fifth person perspective). I'm a database developer and administrator, so I need cold hard facts before my cynical, engineering mind could believe it.
    And before fingers are pointed, could it not just be some type of user error? Engaging 4low at 5000 RPM? Let us hear the full story before judgment is passed.
    I also would not really care because the FX4 is a little pricey for me, as I am not interested in purchasing a 4X4.

Scorpio--->Wouldn't you agree that if your truck differential exploded that you got a lemon part? I would say it is a problem, but not one that exists in all FX4's or Rangers.

You all are just trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, and that molehill may be in never-never land all-together.
    I agree that I could use some hard facts too. After all, even though I am not a database developer and administrator (even though I've done that in my college years), I'm just a software engineer. So I could use some extra facts on this matter.
    When one t-case explodes, it's a lemon. When 4 of them explode within one week, as claimed, it's a pattern.
    I'd doubt that I'd see this story on CNN and major media sources, after all, how big a percentage of population knows what a transfer-case is, and more importantly, what a locker is? We can't sort it out here amongst ourselves, and we sort of have people who know what 4x4 is.
    Media dumbs everything down to lowest common denominator, and probably would make this as vague as possible if they were to run this at all.
    What exactly is an FX4? It is a new type of Ranger?
    Yeah, Ford's attempt at making an offroader. It's a Ranger with a TRD package on it, basically.
  • oldsman1oldsman1 Member Posts: 1
    The Ranger with the FX4 package uses a Torsen differential NOT a Ford part...why did they use this...who knows..probably to make it look like you are getting something extra for your money. The 8.8 with limited slip used in all other Rangers works fine. Please don't confuse this with the FX4 off road package on the F-150..It's just a new decal for the same package since 1997.
    the FX4 pkg. on the F150 uses rancho shocks, and both (ranger too)pkg's. have available manual transfer cases, and as far as i know, hubs too on the f150. its not QUITE the same as the regular off-road pkg. four-wheeler tested a regular off-road F150 in their pickup truck of the year, and now this month have an F150 with the FX4. the way it sounds, the regular one performed better. they dogged the FX4 for being too stiff and not even having a lsd, let alone a locker.

also, the torsen is designed for better "wheel in the air" performance. i have talked to torsen directly as to the differences in the ford part and the torsen in the exclusive FX4. it is also supposed to be something like 34% stronger too.
    Thanks for the information. How much more is the FX4 than the regular Ranger 4x4?
    I don't know. I think Rangers' advantage over Tacoma in price really goes away with an FX4.
    Well well well, I guess this says it all fellas.

http://www.bonforums.com/trucks/ranger_02stopsale013102

I hated to see it, but I think we all knew it had to happen. And to the ones who thought that I was just trying to stir up trouble earlier with the post about this. My tongue is sticking out at you right now. And that ain't all. Peace!

This is the board the original post had to do with. Here is there follow up. I know its killin them, too. Don't accelerate too fast now or your axle might lock up. That has never happened on my taco!!!

http://www.offroadrangers.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1816
    I want somebody to respond. What do you think might have caused this unheardof, new benchmark for extreme axle weakness? Torsen lsd, maybe?

Scorpio: Thanx again for the help on the paper, man. It went smoother than a babies bottom. I had alot of ideas to write about. I know I'll get an A. I really appreciate it.
  • kbtoyskbtoys Member Posts: 62
    That like a slap in the face for Ford. There big bad off-road machine is having there axle fail.
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    Good work, I read it on ttora. It doesn't surprise me in the least. But remember that torsen lsd is 34% stronger and can forge 2ft of water. LOL!
    Prolly won't ford much water if its up on the lift at the shop, right? LOL! Just thinking a little. If it is just the FX4 that has this problem, it would make perfect sense that the LSD is specifically to blame. Doesn't take a genius to realize that. I really can't wait to hear what tbunder, stang, and the others have to say!!!
    Mr. Database Developer and Administrator, here is the reference that you requested.
    I hate to see what Quality #2 is, if thats Quality #1.
    yeah, "built ford ____" could someone please fill in the blank for me?
This discussion has been closed.