Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• Options
    tbundertbunder Member Posts: 580
    in compact truck comparo, and ditto it.
    what's it like to live alone, plutobundy?
  • Options
    frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    You guys are hilarious; you are so emotional about machines. The Taco, Tundra and Ranger and F150 are all great trucks. They are built for different people, who have different needs. If you want a decent little truck to haul stuff, without spending a fortune, buy a Ranger. If you want a more sophisticated little truck, with more refinement and better residual resale value later on, for more money, buy a Taco. If you want a strong truck for heavy work, buy an F 150. If you want a smoothe higway car-like ride, and low noise, and spend most of your time just driving and not hauling, buy a Tundra. You can get a great reliable truck in ANY of them, and you could also get a LEMON with ANY of them (like I did). I still think Ford builds great trucks, in spite of my troubles (which I believe are isolated events). I don't know that much about the Dodge and Chevy trucks {I think they are stodgy looking}, but I suspect their are many very happy owners out there. Peace, all. I am going to go wash and clean my Ranger now. No arguing in the meantime !!
  • Options
    saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    And I just got done washing my Taco. The ole prerunner walked the dog in the mud all last night. Who needs to be able to steer in the mud when ya got ruts?
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Just a reminder that our Town Hall chat happens on Wednesday (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). This week, our topic will be:

Import Trucks: Can they compete with domestics?

If you've bought a vehicle online or are thinking about it, stop into the chat and join in on the discussion!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• Options
    get the feeling that edmunds LIKES to start things? i mean, this import vs. domestic thingy just fuels the fire. and then they get on us when these things get out of control. well, good luck to all who participate. i think we've beat that thing to death since october though. and come up with one conclusion- to each his own.
  • Options
    They keep putting on crap like that, and then when one of us says one cross word, they send their little geeky hall monitors in here to tell us to simmer down. It gets on my nerves so bad. I hate being bossed around by such little nerds. Make up your mind.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Unfortunate AND very true.
  • Options
    sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    I wonder how they will keep that chat "civilized".
    People are pationable about their vehicles, and the chat will get heat up very quick.
  • Options
    tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    I couldn't agree more completely. As a matter of fact, I emailed the moderator about this yesterday after his little rant and told him MY truck IS better than his!
    LOL
    Tom
  • Options
    Im not sure about the context and all, but what kinda truck does the moderator have, out of curiosity.
  • Options
    lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    Doesnt matter what kind of truck he has mine is still better :) lol
  • Options
    it is or was a Nissan Frontier. Not sure if he still owns it.
  • Options
    And it was a pre-Frontier Nissan 4x4. I am currently truckless and miss having one very much!

Every time I have to have a load of mulch or lumber, or some large item delivered to the house I get the urge to head to the dealer and start shopping!

There's nothing wrong with being passionate about your truck... but what has to stop is this personal battle that's going on bewteen a few of you here. Maybe you're doing it all in fun, but it doesn't come across that way to the casual observer... that's the problem.
  • Options
    the problem is that you keep fueling the personal battles as you call them. I understand that advertising these topics may jut be you job, but I think maybe you need to tell your boss how stupid this whole thing is. Who cares if we have arguments anyways. As long as we're no talking filthy and stuff like that, I see no problem.
  • Options
    it seems like it has quieted down here lately. im all for that. i dont think we ever talk filthy either. we're all adults here (although some time i know i dont act like one) but i think we can all stand a little vulgarity, although we never type it. the weather is too nice to sit and argue on the internet. later
  • Options
    on my buddies to get ready to go fishing myself. The weather is absolutely beautiful here.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    can beat up your Tacoma! :-))
  • Options
    plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    Tacoma kicked your Ranger's tailgate!
  • Options
    The idea of the boards is to have a discussion about pickups and pickup truck issues. Are people going to disagee about stuff? Absolutely. But the problem comes when that disagreement turns into calling each other names and insults start being hurled around. The problem comes when other users start to think that behavior like that is OK here and "arguments" start to pop up in other topics.

I know that some people actually enjoy flaming and being flamed, and that they do so all in good fun. But there's no way for the casual observer to know that. That's why this has to stop.

It's not about vulgar language... it's about keeping things relatively civil.

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• Options
  • Options
    midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
  • Options
    It bothered me that I couldn't remember who informed of the update that Toyota had made to the Tacoma doors after it received that one star side impact rating. After a bit of research the name I came up with was ebbgreatdane. I also noticed that he doesn't post here anymore.
  • Options
    What has GMC done to improve their trucks' performance in the offset head-on collision? They came in 3d place out of 4 contenders. The Tacoma and Tundra came in 1st.
  • Options
    I asked you a similar question. When Toyota found out that they had a questionable side impact rating, they went out and fixed it so they got a 3 star the next year. What happens to the owners that have the one star rating?

The Tundra came in first but not without pelvic injury. There were no posted injury for the GMs. That being the case, what would be in need of fixing?
  • Options
    tgravo2tgravo2 Member Posts: 70
    no injuries cause they're probably dead :)
  • Options
    "The Tundra came in first but not without pelvic injury"

The IIHS found that there was a POSSIBILITY of injury to the driver's tibia. Don't recall reading anything about pelvic injuries. But I do remember the Silverado crumpled like styrofoam, and its restraint system didn't control the dummy's head. Hello, I would rather injure my tibia than my neck!!!

LOL, obyone, the IIHS clearly rated the Tundra better than the Chevy (and Tacoma better than S-10), you just can't swallow that, can you?
  • Options
    dont get so defensive.
    but i think the one star rating was given to the tacoma by the nhtsa, not the iihs (as these guys only do frontal tests i think). each test is different (nhtsa vs iihs), but to really judge how strong the frontal area is, you have to test it all and not just half. kinda like punching a wall with only two knuckles flexed. yep, i like to analogize. hehe. but i do realize that all accidents are different and not all are direct head-ons.

if you want to talk about compacts, the frontier is the safest according to nhtsa, followed by ranger, tacoma, and then s10. iihs rated tacoma and ranger pretty much equal with tacoma a little ahead in some area, dont remember. i think why the s10 is not all that highly rated, is cuz i think it still has a NON-boxed section frontal frame. the frontier has fully boxed all the way back. that's a pretty sturdy frame. everyone is going to this now. the new explorer is fully boxed and ill assume the new ranger will be too when it comes out. ranger and tacoma have fully boxed front sections. even the xterra has fully boxed frame rails (it shares the frontier chassis).
  • Options
    I hardly believe that you'd believe that Silv. bested Tundra in IIHS results.
    Silv: M PGGGGP (AMP) P
    Tund: G GGGGMG G P

Its true that Tundra has higher risk of right foot/leg injury, but lets be serious, ok?
    The restraints (or lack thereof) in Silv. for dummy and for the head are just bad. This now becomes a question of "If I get into an accident, do I want to have my right foot broken, or my head bashed into the steering wheel, along with having to spend quite some time inside a crumbled safety cage while firemen slowly cut up the truck with Jaws of Life?"
  • Options
    amazing that the Tundra's doors still functioned after that crash. Now that's something that you don't see too often. Know what else is interesting? A tall guy like me gets into a huge Ford or Dodge truck and guess what? The stupid headrest doesn't even go up the back of my head! So what happens if I get rear-ended? Talk about chincy penny-pinching!
  • Options
    :):):):)
  • Options
    Nope, I'm just tall and don't appreciate those one-size-fits-all "surfboard" seatbacks that Ford likes to use.
  • Options
    Funny my results show
    rado 3 4 4
    tun 4 3 3

with the last number being rollover resistance. So what say you on this?
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I haven't been on in awhile, the jeeps running great, weather's getting nice.I bought a new toy to play with, a 2002 Harley dyna low rider, custom color mint with blue, will have it on Monday, dealer is delivering to me, can't wait! Any of you have a bike.
  • Options
    a bike. Bad side-impact rating.
  • Options
    bike received from the NHTSA.
  • Options
    Ah, you are quoting NHTSA. I'm quoting IIHS. As usual, bad results are ignored on the basis of "this does not happen in real life" idea.
  • Options
    But like the IIHS.ORG people say, "Full-width and offset tests complement each other." Full-width representing NHTSA.GOV.

Bringing the subject back on topic, is that the IIHS.ORG rates the the Head restraint design of 98-02 Tacomas as poor, while the Ranger has two rankings. Poor or Marginal, depending on the seat. While this is not a great difference, it is worthy to note that this is the only Poor rating received by the Ranger, while the Tacoma also receives a poor rating for bumpers, and the left leg. "Ratings depend on how well the structure/safety cage protects the occupant"
  • Options
    i just happen to have a 2002 HD 883 Hugger due to arrive within a week. i got that new impact blue color. i love it. like states blue and really bright and metallic. mag wheels and some screamin' eagle slip-ons identical to the stock ones. i like the stealth look. i will buellize it next year making it a 1203cc. low riders rule. a big twin will be my next harley, but not for a while. i like the smaller bikes due to handling and cheap performance potentiality. later

ps. wear a helmet!
  • Options
    on Huggers and Hogs? I'd pay to see that one.
  • Options
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I haven't ridden in years, I am taking the motorcycle safety course in early May so the bike will probably sit in the garage til I'm ready and comfortable to go on the streets again. Have you found any sites online with any good postings boards like edmunds.
    I like the 883's I was looking at one and then the lowrider caught my eye,the good thing with harleys is they hold there value for years and even increase in time,you can't go wrong with any model you buy. Good Luck with your bike
  • Options
    tgravo2tgravo2 Member Posts: 70
    barlitz - "I was looking at one and then the lowrider caught my eye,the good thing with harleys is they hold there value for years and even increase in time,you can't go wrong with any model you buy."

kind of like Tacomas right :)
  • Options
  • Options
    its just a truck. no waiting lines.

barlitz- no i haven't found any posting boards. haven't really looked. i doubt there are any like this site for vehicles. this will be my first true harley. i did have a '99 Buell Cyclone, but i sold it after my first girl was born. now that my second one is due in august, i thought it'd be nice to at least have one in the garage whenever i could ride it. at least i won't be losing anything. its kinda like a house, its an investment. im buying one of them right now too. busy busy busy. later and keep two wheels on the ground. :o)
  • Options
    rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    I recently upgraded the tires on my new Ranger. It now has Yokohama Geolander A/T 265/70-16 on it. Better ride & handling than the original 245/75-16s and road noise only increased a slight amount. Agressive tread design, so should be good for light off-road use. Plus, Discount gave me $35 credit for each of my original tires ($140 off the Yokohamas).

I'll let everyone know how well they work off-road when the snow melts off the mountains, like June or July.
  • Options
    I love the look of those Geolanders. I would get em if someone else bought em for me. They have about the best looking tread design of any, IMO. I have heard they get bad wear (tires have to last forever for my poor butt to buy em) and bad wet road performance. Maybe someday I'll see for myself. Good choice.
  • Options
    rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Well, since we're starting our wet season, I'll probably get to see for my self pretty soon. We expected rain last weekend, but only got wind & cold.
  • Options
    cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    Thinking of going up to Yankee Hill and or Kingston Hill both up out of Central City either this or next weekend if your interested. . .go chase some Tacoma's. . .8^)
  • Options
    good tire choice. i upgraded to the 265/70/16 on my 2001 ranger. they just look meatier than the skinny 245's. i had BFG's though. they last forever. the good thing about the 265 is that it is exactly the same height as the 245, just an inch wider. it has the same dimensions as a 31x10.50/15, just not as much rubber on the sidewalls.
    good luck.
  • Options
    just how many miles do you honestly think you could have gotten out of the BFGs, Im trying to justify spending the extra money. Thanx
This discussion has been closed.