Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Jeep Compass

Comments

• twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    However, I also prefer the Patriot concept, but my understanding was that that idea was dropped. Is that so?
    ---------------------------------

Not unless that's recent news. Everything I've read says it's coming and will be at the New York Auto Show this month.

If the Patriot isn't made, I might have to settle for a Compass. And I much prefer the Patriot styling. The Escape 4cyl 5sp gets 24-29 mpg. I hope the Patriot/Compass is near that.
  • gljvdgljvd Member Posts: 129
    http://www.designyourjeep.com/compass/dispatch.do

you can now build your compass on the site. I don't know about you guys but the prices ramp up very quickly with this jeep.

Base is 15,985 , limited is 20,140 . both 4x2 .

The base e pkg is going to knock you up to 18.5 . This adds air , tinted sunscreen glass , driver height adjuster seat , power windows , locks , keyless entry and power fold away mirrors . Add in an automatic and your at 1k more , at 21k its a tough sale

Seems to me its pretty expensive , put 4x4 on it and your in the 20k range. For 4k more I can get a pretty nice Liberty or a almost fully equiped torrent.

Who exactly are they going to sell this too ?
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    Who exactly are they going to sell this too ?

Based solely on the styling, my guess is no one! :P

BTW, my new nickname for the Compass is "Chunky Cheeks". :blush:
    My question goes for the patriot too , Which I was interested in untill I saw how much it would cost to simply get air conditioning in the car .

My gf actually likes the compass (She was looking at the fusion and vibe) though looking at the prices on the site she is most likely going to go with the vibe . Much better gass mileage and a ton of features for around 17-18k .

I dunno < ijust don't see a market for the two jeeps based of the caliber design. THough of course Jeep has allways been on the high side once you add features
  • wtedmanwtedman Member Posts: 1
    Will this be the same is Caliber ? Caliber's is not full time AWD at all. Apparetnly it's speed controlled. ANyone have the scoop on this ? Thanks. WBMT
  • sturm451sturm451 Member Posts: 1
    The Compass has an active system like the Calibers, but it also has a lock mode. I haven't checked the dodge, but I don't think it has this feature.
  • trumpet_washertrumpet_washer Member Posts: 48
    The Caliber will be rallied. Dodge is the racing division of DCX. However, the French cars and Subaru set a pretty high standard. The Compass isn't sleek enough to pass off as a rally car. :lemon:
  • vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    Personally, I think the compass is a loser from the start and will not sell. Saturn has an "suv" that is fwd that they advertise with high mileage. They can't give it away (at least anywhere you might need 4wd). Its just a loss leader to get people into the showroom so they can try and sell a more expensive model.

If you add 4wd and a few options to the compass you are in Liberty cost range. Why buy a Neon for Liberty money?
    It depends on what you mean by liberty money.

I can get the compass (which i don't wnat but still) fully loaded for about 21 or so , to do the same with the liberty i'm looking at around 30k .

I'm going to go for the patriot as I can get all the options I want and be around 20k . That is where i'd start on the liberty
  • sturm_rugersturm_ruger Member Posts: 27
    They are in production now.
  • sricsric Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 RAV4 AWD and will soon be in the market for a new updated vehicle of similar characteristics. I live in the Northeast where there is a lot of ice and snow. I want a good road ride that will handle some cargo so I want fold down seats but good gas milage is a must in the three buck a gallon world. For the short off road jonts I do while canoeing or fishing and for roads in deep snow, the 8 inch road clearance is good. I like the big four idea, I really like the 5 speed manual which often is not offered on this class of SUV ( 06 RAV 4 latest example ) I think Jeep may have a vehicle to compete with Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, and the Tuscon and will fair pretty well. I don't know weather I'll like the Compass or the patriot better but I think they are both possible choices for me. I want to see them in person before I condemn the looks. I hope the MPG on the manual tranny is in the 28-32 range highway. ;)
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    I hope the MPG on the manual tranny is in the 28-32 range highway.
    -------------------------------

The 2.4 Caliber is rated 23/26. And the Compass/Patriot may be heavier so could be even less. 30mpg hwy would be great but I don't see it happenin'. A diesel with more torque and 35mpg would be fantastic. And a 2.0 diesel will be an option in Europe. I hope it comes here.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    Why is everyone saying the Patriot is going to be a small SUV? It is about one or two inches BIGGER that the standard Cherokee in H,W & L.

The Patriot may not be a REAL BIG SUV but it's going to be bigger that the Rav4, Forester, CRV, etc.

I have a 1991 Cherokee and it's just the right size, so I can't wait to see the Patriot.

And remember the Patriot will have a H/L range 4X4 system.

None of the other have it, so when the Japanese rigs get in a little over their heads (happened before) the good old AMERICAN PATRIOT Jeep will be there to save them from themselves yet again, just like the little old Jeeps of yesteryear!

CK
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=115901

Seems like they like it , hopefully that is good news for the patriot , that looks and sounds better .

This output bests the four-bangers from the volume leaders while delivering class-leading fuel economy of 25 city/29 highway with the five-speed manual transmission and 23/26 with the automatic. These figures are for the four-wheel-drive powertrain

23/26 for the cvt sounds great to me . Hopefully the patriot is at that also. The off roading sounds strong also.
  • theronrohrtheronrohr Member Posts: 51
    It drove by in my parking garage at work. It was red with Michigan plates. It seemed quite small and the chipmunk-cheeks weren't as prominent as they are in all the pictures. It took me a moment to realize what it was. I work in the same office complex as Edmunds.com so it was probably their tester car because I didn't think it was for sale yet. I'll have to look around and see if I can find it again later.
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    I can't wait to see the Patriot, but I think the pictures on the Jeep web site make it look small. The pictures make it look as small as those old, old 4-door Chevy/Geo Trackers. If it is a little bigger than the Cherokee, great. I had a Liberty, but traded it for a Subaru Forester a couple months ago, and already I'm anxious for my next Jeep! :P I had three Cherokees before the Liberty.

Not to get too off topic, but someone else on this forum mentioned they were comparing Jeeps with the Forester. I think the car and consumer magazines make the Forester out to be more than it is. Yes, MPG is better, which is why I switched (and it has side airbags standard). Foresters suffer from slight engine hesitation upon acceleration, and if you are not used to it, it's annoying. Also, my Liberty never had any problems except a steering wheel audio button broke -- from me using it too much! It had exceptional quality and solid construction. My Forester has squeaks and rattles, and the more you look at the plastic and rubber parts, the more the quality seems kind of cheap. The paint is not very strong. I never felt that way about my Liberty.

Now, if the Forester passes the Midwest winter snow test like my Liberty did, I may learn to respect it just a little bit more. . . ;) We'll see. . .
    Na dude , I saw it at the NYC car show , its as big as my cherokee 94' sport , 4 banger .

It looks nice too. I can't wait for it actaully .

I got 19k to spend (mabye i can stretch to 22k haha) and i want to get myself a new jeep. I've been driving my 94 since i was 17 in 99' when i took it from my dad haha and i wouldn't mind getting a patriot and driving it to 2017
  • extennyextenny Member Posts: 18
    Just got back from test driving the Compass and I was very Very impressed. Seats are very comfortable, Ac works great and is very quiet "much quiter than my Focus", quiet smooth sounding engine, smooth and comfortable ride, lots of legroom in the back seat even with front seats moved all the way back, flat folding rear and passanger seats looked nice. Right after I drove this car I went and drove the Suzuki Grand Vitara with the luxury package. IMO There is no comparison between the the 2 "maybe the Vitara is better for serious off roading" the compass is a much better drive quiter engine and the interior is much classier and the compass is even a little cheaper. I was waiting for the suzuki sx4 but maybe not anymore as i would imagine the vitara proably drives a little better than the cheaper sx4 will. I really like this car but my wife doesnt now just how to convince her?
    were u using the cvt ?

If so how was that
    Just got back from test driving the Compass, Caliber and Grand Cherokee. They had their first 2 Compasses just in today at the dealer. The Compass was a base model 4x4 with cloth seats. The Caliber was an SXT 2.0L also with cloth. Both had the CVT. I was generally impressed by both of them. They rode very nicely and the CVT was great. A taylor made city transmission. The cars are ready to scoot right off the line and were dead smooth accelerating. My sense of feeling may have been miscalibrated though since I've been driving an '03 Mustang GT convertible for the last 6 months. Anything feels smooth compared to that thing! Before that though I had a long term VW Golf which was a nice, small car.

I only drove around the local streets and will have to go back later for a highway drive. The Compass and Caliber felt identical to drive. I suppose the larger 2.4L in the Compass was offset by the weight of the 4x4 system. The main differences were the Compass felt more roomy inside without that squished canopy of the Caliber. Also the dashboard was a little more subdued which I like. On the other hand I think the Caliber looks better on the outside. The Compass looks a bit goofy.

Things I liked in both were the CVT trans made city driving a breeze. The interiors were overall better in person than they look in pictures. The grey color is darker and actually pretty nice in reality. The leg room in back is good because you can fit not only your feet but your ankles as well under the front seats. The seats are comfortable although the bottom cushions are a little short, especially in the back.

Things not so good are a sense of cheapness to some of the trimmings. The door arm rests look like pieces of plastic glued onto the door. The Compass rear hatch seemed a bit light and tinny. External trim pieces would bend when you push on them. The plastic roof rails had flashing on them. The Caliber seemed a little less tinny in these areas. The seat material is the same in both and a bit nylony and not as nice as some other cars I've seen.

Overall, however, I was impressed and both cars are on my short list!
    well the cheapness is to be expected , it starts at 13k or so does it not ? That is Focus and other cheap car teritory.

How was sitting in the front of the compass ? I'm 6'4 and am just wondering how you feel in it ,

I'm personaly waiting for the patriot , but i figure the inside should be 99.9% identical
  • indianrefiningindianrefining Member Posts: 102
    What's the consensus on the CVT's highway performance?
    Well the base Caliber is 13k and at that price its probably a good deal. The Compass I drove was just under 20k however so its not really in bargain car territory anymore. Still I really like the concept. A little taller than a car but not as much as a truck. Roomy, zippy, light. With a couple grand in discounts it will be very compelling.

I liked the seating position a lot, bearing in mind I am 5'10" and 185lbs and coming from an uncomfortable mustang. In fact I would call these cars midsized rather than compact. The Compass was quite roomy. The Caliber less so because of the reduced headroom. I'm not sure but it might have been a little narrower also. Also both have giant and very intrusive front windscreen pillars you need to get used to.
  • grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    I test drove a black 4X4 SE today. It definitely looks better in person than it does in pictures. I was lucky enough to compare it side by side with the caliber.

I was impressed with the engine. It had enough power to get up to speed quickly, and was very smooth.

However, the interior was not up to par. Like it was stated before the seats seem very "nylony". The headroom was a more than enough, but it didn't have the sunroof.

The dealer I went to also added on the cross bars, wind deflectors, mud flaps, and another add-on which added a grand to it. It was just over 20. I didn't think it was worth the money, especially when you can get the limited for that price.

The leg room in front was good. I'm 6' and I didn't have the seat back all the way and could reach the pedals fine.
    has anyone seen the limited ? Is the cheapness missing from this segment ?>
  • braves85braves85 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a compass this afternoon (limited with the CVT) and was very impressed with the smoothness and comfort of the ride. I'm 6' and felt that there was plenty of leg room up front. With the seats folded down there seemed to be good cargo room length wise and decent room height wise. One thing that surprised me was that apparently on the sport edition if you get the base package (option package D) the rear seats don't fold and the upgrade to package E is $2,600 which i think brings it to about $18,000 at least without the CVT or all-wheel drive. Still cheap, but not quite the $15,500 they advertise it starting at. Overall I was very impressed though and am strongly considering buying 1. Right now I'm looking at the Compass, Rav4, and CR-V any other suggestions?
    if you can wait till fall , the patriot
  • aedudeaedude Member Posts: 1
    Well I test drove the Compass last week, Limited 4x4. I was very impressed. When I first saw the Dodge Caliber in the show room I was depressed the Compass was going to be the same, but it's not. The Compass is not as small and compact as the Caliber is. I was tempted to buy a Chevy Equinox because I didn't want to wait for the Compass, but after seeing the Compass in person I was convinced to wait. The Compass has so much more features than the Equinox, the Equinox is plain and old-school. I went back with my mother to see what she thought of the vehicle and she likes it as well.

So I placed an order for one.
    I order the Jeep Green Color, Limited, 4x2 (I live in FL there's no real need for 4x4), CVT2, Driver Convience, Security Convience, Sirus Sat, Speaker Upgrade, UConnect Bluetooth, (Almost everything except the Rims and Sunroof). I actually went to the back room where the salesman's boss ordered the vehicle online from the factory. They said it could be anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks before I get the vehicle, once they start buliding it I will have a VIN number. They showed me Dodge Caliber orders from May that were just now being fulfilled, which didn't make me feel any better about the wait time. But he explained that they had placed a hold on the Dodge Caliber to fix isssues, plus the Caliber is being over advertised and is the number one domestic sought out vehicle, but I hope I ordered mine in time to beat the rush.

After I get it I will let you all know how it all goes.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Wow. Edmunds really slammed the Compass. Really looks like a cute mini-ute to me tho'. But- to be expected, as exterior styling has always been one of Jeep's strong suits.

Hopefully, they dress the interior of the Patriot Limited up well enough with a softer arm rest for the reviewers. And while I'm wishing, might as well throw in an option for more motor- something like Toyota's 3.5L 269hp motor that they use in the Rav4 (and a few other cars), that seems to get just as good EPA mileage ratings.

What the heck is the difference between the Patriot and the Compass? They seem to be essentially the same cars with different exterior body styles? The Patriot remeniscent of a modern Jeep Cherokee (with an anemic powerplant).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What we really want is a bobblehead of Dr. Z.

Jeep Uses Bobbleheads To Promote '07 Compass (Inside Line)
    Well I went back to the dealer yesterday and brought my wife with me as well to test drive the compass. I already very much wanted to buy this car but my wife thought it was big and ugly. Anyway when she saw it in person she really liked it as well and she realized that lengthwise it is not a big car actually smaller than our Focus. So after she test drove it for the 1st time and me the 2nd we decided to place an order. What I ordered is a Black Limited 4x4 with CVTII, sunroof, 9 speaker premium stereo, driver convienace, engine heating block "live in Minnesota", full spare tire and trailer tow prep. I gave the dealer a $100 dollar deposit and the way he explained is now my name is attached to a Compass so I can either wait until the one I ordered comes in or if one that i like comes in before i order i would have 1st dibs on that. I maybe would have waited to get this car as there are no discounts on it but I will be getting Employee Pricing through a friend. Anyway I really like this car despite the full test review on Edmunds. The engine does not seem loud to me, the interior doesn't seem to loaded with cheap hard plastic "my elbow felt just fine on the driver side door rest" and yea maybe it is a bit on the slow side but its plenty good enough for me. Maybe I dont notice this kind of stuff because the nicest car i have ever owned is a Ford Focus and before that every car I ever owned was built in the 80's. Anway cant wait should be getting it sometime in August. I just hope they dont try to low ball my trade in value.
  • huzzahhuzzah Member Posts: 2
    This is the link to "crush zones" under the Jeep Compass safety. Watch the video. Is it just my computer or is that a home video of someone being attacked? That's just weird. Does anyone know what this is or why it's on jeep's website?

link title
    That's bizarre; looks like someone hacked their web site. Someone in the home office should know someone to check with at Jeep, so I'll send an email off.
  • nd9979nd9979 Member Posts: 8
    Any idea when we can use the preferred price discount (1% under invoice) on the Compass?
    man , if the patriot gets these reviews , I might just end up with a Torrent
    I wish I knew when Preferred Price Discount will be available, I am eligible for this as well as I work for an affiliated company. Does anyone know if the Chrysler Employee pricing excludes certain vehicals as the preferred price discount does? When I was at the dealer the gave me a quote on the compass based on employee pricing so I would imagine there isn't an exclusion on certain vehicals.
    As far as the reviews I've read about this car I dont know why people are so bent up about them. The main 2 things that some reviewers "espiacally Edmunds" dislike about the car is what they say is
    1. a cheap interior
    2. not a very powerful engine
    Well the inside may have a lot of plastic but to me it looks nice and does stand out as being excessively cheap and didn't seem to bother my elbow when driving.
    regarding engine performance this car is the same or even better than cars I am comparing it to Toyota Matrix XR,Vibe Nissan Versa, Suzuki Sx4, yet edmunds didnt rip the Matrix for being slow.
    The 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times on this car are actually quite good for me. They are much better than most cars over in europe.
    To me this car is more in the class of the Matrix, Vibe, sx4 than cars like the Escape, Rav4 and CRV.
    Anyway just my thoughts
  • grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    I am also eligible for the employee pricing plan (green sheet). The dealer I spoke to said that as of right now they are not offering it on the compass.
    I didn't go too far with details on when it may be available. I think sales will depict the time line.
  • ccostableccostable Member Posts: 55
    Sure the 2.4 with the CVT is a little underwhelming, but if Jeep put a six cylinder in it everyone would kill Jeep for putting out somehting with poor gas mileage. If you want a more powerful Jeep, buy a Liberty. I've had my '99 Cherokee since it was new and I bought it with the 125hp 2.5L 4 cylinder. It's no speed demon but it definately holds its own. Besides being problem free it returns decent gas mileage even loaded down on long trips. The Compass is pretty obviously set up for efficiency and not power. I wish critics would give it a break.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Toyota has a 269hp 3.5L V6 in their [bigger] Rav4 which is rated at 21/28 mpg. I don't think anyone would bash Jeep for that! Jeep does need a new, more powerful mid-sized 6cyl engine to bring fuel economy and power to their lineup. They could share it with at least 5 different models. Buyers are looking through the fierce competition in the market and don't want to compromise.

"...but if Jeep put a six cylinder in it everyone would kill Jeep for putting out somehting with poor gas mileage."
    http://www.topspeed.com/cars/jeep/jeep-patriot-ar2775.html

There are videos of both the Compass and Patriot driving around on here. After seeing these I think those of us who are thinking the Patriot will be the better design are sadly mistaken. It actually makes the Compass look stylish by comparison! Assuming they will be identical inside I think I'm liking the compass better at this point.
    Dunno why you think that . The Patriot looks so much like the Jeep Cherokee its not even funny.

I think its one of the better looking suv's on the market actually.

I just don't want it to look like it cost 10$ inside when I'm paying 20k or so on it
  • tboudrottboudrot Member Posts: 7
    drove the Compass today. I was excited because I liked everything that I had seen and read about it. But the Edmunds review is right on. I got in and I thought the seat was way too close... Unfortunately, the seat could not go back any farther! I am 6'2" with long legs and I did not fit well. Headroom is great but VISIBILITY IS TERRIBLE! I had to almost stoop to see out the windshield. I felt as if I were closed in a tight spot and I am claustrophobic to begin with. It was comfortable and the ride and handling were fine. But there is too much plastic. I was totally underwhelemed. I guess I will wait for the Patriot of look at a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe or the 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
  • tboudrottboudrot Member Posts: 7
    Read my posting.. you will not fit!
    I think what I don't like about the Patriot is the way from the side the main body is lower than the front and back. It makes it look fat and soft. The Cherokee was lean and tight looking by comparison. Granted the Compass has its design issues too. I think in the end the Compass mimicks the styling of a stylish import type crossover like the Lexus RX330 better than the Patriot mimicks the styling of a rugged truck like the Cherokee.

Or maybe I've overthought this already :confuse:
    There's more talk about the Patriot in the Jeep Patriot discussion but I don't see much photo posting over there. There's some other info about it on Inside Line.

image Jeep Patroit image Jeep Compass
  • gritngilegritngile Member Posts: 2
    I was originally interested in the Caliber, but looking at the stats for the compass I've moved on. The Jeep website gives Jeep with 4wd better mileage with the largest of the world engines than the Caliber with the midsize world engine in front wheel drive. The compass weighs more. Hmmmmm.

Also the Compass has more hip room on the same width vehicle on the same platform. Are the Jeep engineers more optimistic than Dodge engineers? There are no Compasses available in my area yet, within a thirty minute drive anyway. Sitting in both is there that much difference? Has anyone found the 29mpg with 4wd to be accurate?

Looking to be a Jeep owner soon. :shades:

GritnGile
  • fzr1000fzr1000 Member Posts: 9
    Make no mistake, the Compass is NOT a Jeep, it's basically an ugly Dodge Caliber that some idiot put Jeep badges on. Oh, and it's not 4 wheel drive, it's All Wheel Drive, like a Subaru Forrester. The Real Jeep community would like nothing less than to see this pathetic Compass discontinued.
    I drove these back to back and although they feel pretty much the same the compass is definitely roomier feeling. The Caliber just feels cramped because of the low roof and short windows. The Compass has a higher ceiling, taller windows, more upright seats and I think was a little wider too. Anyway it was subjectively not cramped at all and is my clear favorite for that reason. (Even though the Caliber looks better IMO.) I'm waiting for the 2wd version to come out. I'm very interested in the CVT because I do almost 100%city driving where I think it will shine.
This discussion has been closed.