Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Jeep Compass

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "For $25,395, our shiny Inferno Red Compass Limited 4x4 came equipped with the optional continuously variable transmission (CVT), as well as leather-trimmed heated seats and the Customer Preferred Package, which includes a nine-speaker Boston Acoustics sound system, Sirius Satellite Radio, a sunroof and those 18-inch chrome wheels."

Long-Term Test: 2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4

• clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    To fzr1000 who tells us "The Compass is NOT a JEEP"

Gee, the last time I saw a Compass, it said "Jeep" on it. The window price sticker said, "Jeep Compass"

fzr1000, do you know something we don't?

It may not the the Jeep you want but if the DC corp. say's it's a Jeep, I bet all the courts in the land would side with DC Corp. rather than you.

I understand you don't like the JEEP Compass, but like it or not, it is a JEEP.

If you can get Jeep to design and make a Jeep just for YOU, your a better man than me.

CK :)
  • fzr1000fzr1000 Member Posts: 9
    Jeep did deseign a REAL Jeep with REAL solid axles and REAL off road capability. It's the 2007 4 door Wrangler Unlimited that I am getting as soon as it comes out. The Wrangler is NOT a rebadged anything from DC. The Compass IS a rebadged DODGE CALIBER. I guess to you Mr. CK; if Ford were to put Aston Martin badges on a Focus, you would probably call it an Aston Martin.
    You know, CK, I guess you are right. Jeep does have their badge on children's strollers, so I guess this Compass thing is no different. We should just have DC put the Jeep badge on everything to sell what ever it is. I am sure that someone who buys a Compass because of the Jeep name would buy a child's stroller with the Jeep name also, although the stroller may be more off road capable. ;)
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    My point exactly. A Jeep Stroller is made for a certain market. I bet most people buying a Jeep Stroller have kids!

I bet most people buying a Jeep Compass do so for the city crossover usage rather than the rugged off road usage.

As the poster just above you stated, Jeep did come out with a rugged off road vehicle. It's the new Wrangler.

So if you don't think the Compass is a real Jeep, then go buy a wrangler. They now make vehicles with the Jeep brand, that will (Hopefully) fit into all the nitches of american auto usage.

If Jeep only made the rugged off road Wrangler, they wouldn't stay in business very long.

CK
    You know, I have another idea. DC should bring back the K car and put Jeep badges on that too! It would EXPAND the Jeep name to other markets. I was also thinking that DC should buy the rights to the Daihatsu Charade and put the JEEP badge on that, for the urban market of course. Now JEEP could be in every single market and the Jeep enthusiasts can start buying Hummers, since the design philosophy at JEEP seems to now be going to the soft roader, non off roader direction.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Bravo, clarkkent! I agree!

The "different strokes for different folks" course. . .

If someone doesn't dig the Compass then just ignore it and go with what you like in the Jeep line. . .

Move on, fzr1000. . .No offense-

Peace!
  • adesaabadesaab Member Posts: 1
    Thinking serious of buying a compass. After comparing other makes in the medium SUV market, Compass has alot of appeal. Would like to hear from Compass owners on the plus and minuses of the vehicle, performance, mileage, comfort and design comments.
  • sricsric Member Posts: 4
    Here Here adesaab !! Duly noted and agreed ! Do the same people who like the Chevy Silvarado enjoy driving the Chevy cobalt ? The hard core off roaders as well as the soft roaders are easily going to know the difference so who cares. Give Jeep a break ! Look at it this way, making the Compass and Patriot may just be what keeps Jeep solvent and able to keep producing the Wrangler. Vertually every manufacturer has a range of vehicle for different market segments. Subaru is building sedans for crip sake ! No one is going to be fooled into thinking the Compass is hard core off road. It wasn't build for that, so lets focus on how it is fairing as a road model small SUV with AWD made for snowy pavement. It Ain't Trail Rated ! We all know that already.
  • gritngilegritngile Member Posts: 2
    Took a Jeep Compass Limited for a test drive. CVT shift smooth, but the poor little engine sounded like it was powered by cats in a wheel with a taser for motivation. Lots of road noise, mostly from it's own straining screaming engine. Very poor acceleration. I thought as it was similar to the Dodge Caliber, and had the largest engine of the three offered by Caliber, that it would move out with authority. Definately a Sunday drive vehicle. Stability this, low profile and traction control and the thing still feels top heavy in a corner. Heavier than my Rodeo anyway. It is roomier than a Caliber inside. Height to roof and width at the hips. Hard to figure as it looks the same inside and has the same outside dimensions, but I did not loose 30 pounds between checking the Caliber and the Compass, and there was a difference. Caliber is cuter, and has a better name. Maybe I'll check out the Patriot if it ever arrives. :(
    Like I said, Chrysler should bring back the K car and put a Jeep badge on it. With an updated suspension, the K car can be excellent on the road. Oh and by the way, I don't see the Chevy Cobalt as part of the GMC division, maybe GMC should put the GMC badge on the Cobalt and call it the GMC Magnesium. Then people who wouldn't normally buy a GMC would buy one. ;)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large daily newspaper is looking to speak to women who are current Dodge Caliber or Compass drivers. The reporter would like to discuss why you purchased the vehicle. Please provide your daytime contact info to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, October 18, 2006.
  • pacermanpacerman Member Posts: 62
    Anyone have or test drove a 4x4 5 speed yet, any better pull than the CVT?????
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    Someone might ask why I would ask such a question? Well if you go to a Dodge / Jeep dealer put then side by side. Check out the prices. This works best if you can find a Caliber and Compass thet have close to the same addons. Besides the looks does thing strike you as hard to explain? Well there is a huge price difference! IMO the Compass it the better looking, but is the Compas worth 20% more?
    Has anyone read any vehicle magizine that has a real good review of either the Compass or the Caliber? These two vehicles have been slamed so bad, the reviews on the YOUGO were kinder. Both of these vehicle smack with the words OVERPRICED all over them. The known fact is that these vehicles are brought out at first with NO DISCOUNT! Why? Because DCX needs a higher mark up in the first year, then the big rebates come in to play. That so when someone who is so up side down in the old flibber they can trade it in and think they got such a good deal. Remember the PT Cruser when it first came out? People paid extra just to be one of the firts owners. Now look at how much you can get off a new PT.
    Jeep needs a cheap vehicle to pull Jeep wantabes in. The Patriot should be a higher quality, look more like a real Jeep, Jeeep. Look for it to be TRAIL RATED. Perhaps the water depth of this trail rated vehicle will be only 10", but none the less it is more Jeep than the Compass.
    Now here is a real no brainer...You can get a Jeep Liberty 4X4 cheaper than you can a Compass AWD. AWD is not the same as 4X4 don't let anyone kid ya AWD is far less than a real 4X4. Why would anyone want a COMPASS when a LIBERTY 4X4 can be had for $2,000 to $3,000 less?
    The true price of a vehicle is not in the sticker price. The value is what the second owner will pay for it after you trade it in. Look for at least a 50% depreciation the first year for the Compass and closer to 60% for the Caliber after one year.
    The very sad truth is DCX is not putting the same value into their vehicles as compared to 4 tyears ago. Look at other smallcars like the Versa, Fit and you will see as I have DCX needs some real quality added or they well may be bought out by a Korean Company.

Farout
  • pacermanpacerman Member Posts: 62
    I don't know where your getting your prices from , but a Liberty 4x4 "Sport" with added options of better sound system, driver convienience package, security group, and cruise control, 6 speed, comes to $32,985 canadian , the 4x4 Compass with sound B/A package, security group , convienience group, trailer towing group, 5 sp, comes to $26,625, maybe you should be comparing the Nitro with the Liberty........ :confuse:
  • theronrohrtheronrohr Member Posts: 51
    I'm tempted by the great discounts on the liberty. But I'm really not in the market for that kind of vehicle. As I do almost 100% city driving the compass makes a lot more sense with its independent suspension, cvt transmission and better gas mileage. I'm actually waiting for the Patriot to come out next year because I think I might like the style better and also because the Compass's front pillars cause a horrible blind spot. Also I agree these vehicles were designed to sell with discounts and I notice that over at carmax where they post prices they are already listing the compass at about 2 grand less than sticker.

I don't give any credibility to people who ding these cars because they are "not jeeps". I don't care. I'm just looking for a new car that's roomy, comfortable and utilitarian. My other options are the other small cross over wagons like the escape. Jeep already makes plenty of rugged trucks. Now they are expanding to get new customers like me!
    testing.. testing... does this forum still work?
    It does! Perhaps a new post or two will attract more. :)

tidester, host
    How about a link with some gnarly quotes? :shades:

"First there was the Dodge Caliber — the odd-looking hunchback hatchback with a cheap interior and lackluster performance. Then there was the Jeep Compass — a vehicle so utterly wrong-headed that, in the future, a Ph.D. candidate in marketing will write a thesis about it."

"Jeep says that the Patriot is the small crossover for men and the Compass is the one for the ladies."

First Drive: 2007 Jeep Patriot (Inside Line)
    I had only my second compass sighting here in west LA the other day. It seems much bigger than I remember from my test drive. When you see it out on the road and can compare to other cars you realize its about the same as other small suvs.

I'm beginning to worry about this car. The internet is pretty dead on the subject. Maybe everyone is so busy driving they don't have time to post about it! We'll have to see if the Patriot gets more attention. I bet it will even though its really the same car.

Anybody out there want to comment on the CVT?
    The front grill of the Compass is a litte much. It looks like its so big its weighing down the front end. Imagine what it will look like when Jeep updates it in a few years to all chrome a la the Liberty :blush:
  • grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    or maybe they are too ashamed to write about it admitting they bought one. I am very interested in the Patriot. The compass just turned me off with the looks.
    When I test drove the Compass I really liked the CVT. It had enough get up and go for me. I know that has been a common complaint. People say when you push it there is a lag for the engine to go and the RPMs will reach red line.
    On the Patriot board I posted a link to another discussion on the patriot that is getting a lot of traffic if you're interested.
    I checked that out and saw the video review of the Patriot. Also I found a Patriot review on rockcrawler that was interesting. They described in detail the different feel of the manual vs cvt. I had dismissed the manual because I live in the city but they described it as very flexible and easy to drive. I might have to reconsider and take one out for a test drive.

A couple months back I test drove a Caliber and a Compass with cvt. It was only around the dealership and the cvts were seamless and worked fine at city pace. But when I tried to accelerate aggressively (in the 2.0L Caliber) nothing really happened so I'm a little worried that it will feel really sluggish when you need to get going. I used to have a tdi diesel Golf and it got really annoying in the city because while it was fine when cruising it was always a slug at the traffic light.
    The shifter is awkwardly placed. Someone just posted pictures and said they had to stretch a bit to reach it. I would be looking at the auto. I test drove the compass as well and when you did punch it there was some lag. But for the most part it should be adequate. One problem with the CVT is you lost track at how fast you are going with the lack of shifts. I'll be interested in test driving one soon. Yes the interior is not the best but the room is fine for me. I saw one at the DC auto show.
  • ccostableccostable Member Posts: 55
    Does anyone have an idea of how the Compass is selling?
    Thanks.
    sales figures for 06

I don't know how accurate the figures are but they look promising.
  • pcbflpcbfl Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone tell me how to get the $1000 coupon from Chrysler as someone mentioned previously? I read it on another auto site as well. I'm ready to buy the Compass in two weeks.
    If you find such a coupon please tell us where. As far as I can trace it there is no such coupon.

Farout
    I got my information first hand! We bought on sept. 16 a Liberty Sport 4x4 Sticker was $24,600. we paid $18,644. out the door. Even as I write this You can't find a Compas or Patriot for under $19,000, and equally equipped to our Liberty. That's where I get my information. By the way Most Liberty's 2006 have a $4000. rebate.

Farout
    Anyone out there? Hello.....Boy this Compass site has no activity! I am in the closing few days of DCX buying back my Liberty CRD, and I have gone with a Compass replacement. I sorta feel like I an speaking into the wind or a long tunnel and no one is there to hear anything.

farout
    Jump in, folks! farout needs your help. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I think everyone is too busy researching the fine print on that sub-prime refi they got last year :P
    too busy researching the fine print on that sub-prime refi ...

We'll have to consider setting up a special topic for that one! ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • hortaghortag Member Posts: 12
    Just purchased my Jeep Compass 3/31/2007.

Living in home off a dirt road, where a trip to the grocery store requires mud chains, I have to say that the Jeep Compass is the perfect blend of off road worthiness and gas saving commuter. I'd say the only problem I really have so far, is with the blind spots.

Anyone else have an idea what they are selling for now?
    hortag: We are to pick up our Compass Sport 4x4 either today or tommrow. DCX bought back our 05 Liberty Sport CRD, so we picked the Compass to replace it. I am wondering what kind of fuel mileage we will get.

farout
    I did tons of research on plenty of AWD SUV's that reported solid miles per gallon. I eventually decided on either the new Hond CRV, or the Jeep Compass. After this rough New Hampshire Winter, I decided to go with the Compass. It has a true 4x4 low option that I could have used this past season. I am really happy with my purchase. The Jeep Compass seems to disapoint all these "Pro" review sites for one reason or another. But not for reasons that seem to hold any water. The Jeep Compass is a solid prefomer with AWD, 4WD and with great gas mileage. How many SUV's can boast as much. I purchased my Compass 3/31/2007, a LTD version, Navi, Automatic, Full Size Spare, Moon/Sun Roof, Chrome clad wheels...Sticker $26,800. With the $750 rebate, I got out the door at $23,900. I did the fools.com "Fax/Email" attack and that was the best deal out there. Anyone else know if that was about right???
    hortag: Having actually found out what true values were as we have entered DCX buy back of our CRD Liberty, and replacement with our Compass, I would say you got an excellent deal. Great going! What kind of mpg are you getting? We are waiting for the auditor to approve the work so we can pick up our Compass tommrow., we hope.

farout
    You can cross-check your price with the True Market Value tool, and please report on your deal in the Jeep Compass: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion.
    farout: Good luck with your purchase. I checked out the price of the Compass with the Edmunds TMV tool and it really looked like I was getting a good deal. But it makes me really stoked when there is definite conformation from others purchasing the same deal. Again, I live on a dirt road that degrades the momen a soft wind blows across the land. If it rains, I am having to drive to save my life. This Jeep is true to its name. I love the ability to shift this CVT like it had gears. I compared it to the CRV and the CRV seemed like it was a peppier engine. However, thats because the Jeep CVT slowly revs up if your not shifting the CVT yourself. My wife has a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited and she is extremely happy with the Jeep name (well except for the broken ball joint she suffered today *OUCH*.) Regardless, I can't wait to take our first long family trip with the Compass. I plan to install an aftermarket overhead DvD player and an aftermarket bluetooth hands free set up.
  • carguy37carguy37 Member Posts: 3
    I recently test drove a 07 Jeep compass sport at a local car dealer with just the basics no fancy features except a CVT automatic tranny. Well i got onto the highway and the car wouldnt do any faster than 80 MPH and the tranny wouldnt shift. So i said this isnt right and when i got back to the dealer and told them they said a whole lot of nothing when i told them. So i knew somthing was wrong cause they say the top speed is 112 MPH. I really like the compass and am into consideration of purchasing one. i just wondering if any current owners have encountered the promblem i did test driving the vehicle and if they did what was it and i also wanted current owners take on the vehicle like what did u think of the car for yourself. Im deeply considering buying this vehicle cause i loved it so much and i thought before i did i would get some advice. so please comment back cause i need the advice so i can make my final decision on whether to buy it or not cause like i said i love the vehicle and im deeply considering purchasing one. Thanks
    carguy37: Welcome to the Compass forum! We just got our Compass on April 5th. We got it because DCX bought our 2005 Liberty Diesel back from us. It gave us lots of problems. We chose the Compass 4x4 because of the small vehicle and the 4x4. I can not tell you if it will go to 112 mph or not. I have had it up to 80 mph and it stayed at 6,000 + rpm's, and when I just slightly let off the gas it went into a higher point and had lots more to give. Perhaps you just kept your foot on the peddle and kept it floored?
    We got 23.4 mpg and the first jaunt, which I feel was real good for a new engine. Hope this helps.

farout
  • carguy37carguy37 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice yea i did have the petal to the floor and i was just waiting for it to shift cause thats what most automatics do or most other cars that have automatic trannys do. So i didnt realize u had to let of the gas a little bit to get it to shift and do over 80 MPH. thanks ill keep that in mind when i make my final purchase decision. and i thought a car with 172 hp would do more than 80 MPH its just like i said i didnt knoe that u had to let off the gas to get it to do more than 80 mph. So once again thanks.
  • neely2005neely2005 Member Posts: 70
    Remember that it's a CVT Transmission so it doesn't shift...
    neely2005: I have not yet gotten used to the CVT, it works fine, and the change of the transmission belt is smooth, but we can tell by the engines RPM that it has changed. So far we are getting 25.1 mpg. After looking at the Patriot again the other day, we see how much more you get for the money with the Compass. If driving a box is a persons thing then a Patriot is the way to go, but the Compass style is nicer to us anyway.

What kind of mpg are you getting? Had any problems yet?

farout
    I live in a part of New Hampshire that was recently hard hit by the Noreaster. I already live on a dirt road that suffers from pot holes and pock marks the moment it drizzels ever so slightly. I was able to take my Compass, through 6 inches of mud, water over our front bumper, and up the side of a mountain pass wide enough for only one car. I would have made it out of my back water town to, if only this Jeep could fly. No matter how solid your SUV, a washed out bridge is what it is...a washed out bridge. I still have only gotten at best, 22mpg, but right now, I am attributing that to the insane driving conditions I have had to put up with since I purchased it. My only regret now, is not getting the hands free Uconnect option.
    hortag: Every time we check our mpg it goes up. Yesterday we got 25.4 mpg. We have found that at 60 mph is where we have got the best mpg. We have noticed that in freeway traffic the engine is not the peppiest 4 cyc. we have ever owned, nor the most fuel efficient. As we remember our 2004 Dodge Neon with the 4 speed automatic was 30+ mpg right off the bat. However the total weight was about 800 lbs less too, and was not a 4x4 either, and the back seat was not fit for a fifth grade boy, say nothing about a small sized woman. The Compass back seat is roomy even for a good sized man, and that is something real unusual in todays med. sized vehicles.
    I would agree that if the road conditions improve so will your mpg.

farout
    farout: I agree with you that my gas mileage is bound to increase as my driving conditions improve. Your also right regarding the adequate seating; as I mentioned before in another post, im 6'4" 264lbs and I seat in really well. But I have to disagree with your assertion that this engine isn't very peppy. I think the CVT throws some drivers off regarding power. When I compared this to the new CRV, I made the same mistake, and wondered how an SUV that had billed itself as having 172HP could seem so sluggish. After checking out the info on the CVT and researching the technology, I realized why the Jeep shiftronic system was so important. Try taking your Jeep back on the road and shifting yourself. I think youll find your self happier with the strength and push of the motor. On our local highways here, I hit a nice stride between 3rd and 4th "gear" and getting the engine to punch, is very easy .
This discussion has been closed.