Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Neon SRT-4

Comments

• sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Domestic automakers, and their engines, seem to be afraid of high redlines. As such, all of their normally aspirated engines are low on peak horsepower, and when the turbo is added the torque goes up way faster than the horsepower. The engine output certainly doesn't impress me versus what Subaru and Mitsubishi have been doing to blown four-cylinder engines for a decade. The story here is not the power but the price.
  • jocko9jocko9 Member Posts: 65
    I think you are exactly right. That type of pocket rocket for under $20K. That's the big story in the case of the SRT-4.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Much more important, IMO, is the bottom line performance. Just look at that 0-60 and 1/4 mile et/top speed! That's out of the RSX-S, GTS-S league, and has a good shot at the considerably more expensive S2000.

And with all that torque down low, its more accessible.

But, IMO, where they really still fall behind is in quality, unless you want to throw hp/mpg into the hp/liter discussion for some odd reason.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    There are only two practical reasons for massaging a smaller displacement plant into high rpms and high hp: weight savings and fuel economy.

To take an example mentioned above, the RSX-s has all the benefit of Honda's racing program, and makes 200 ponies with a scant two liters. The accomplishment cannot be denied, but any advantages offered can certainly be debated.

Power: the S delivers 200hp and 142lb/ft. It offers up its peak hp at 7400 rpms and its best torque at 6000. It's got to be fully wound and stay fully wound to deliver its goods. There aren't a lot of people who know how to work a plant like this, and far fewer who will feel comfotable doing it. Quite a few may burn a clutch trying to learn. The 4 pumps 215hp and 245lb/ft with peak hp coming at 5400 rpms, which is certainly not at the bottom of its spin, but forks over 100% of the torque from 3200. I really don't think it's going to get winded in any run with an S.

Weight: S comes in at 2778, the 4 at 2939. Clearly, in terms of strict numbers, the nod has to go to the S. When you add in the fact that the 4 has two extra doors and a fully functional rear seat and a real trunk, the advantage is a little offset. After all, unless you're made of money (in which case why are looking at pocket rockets anyway) you still have to live with the thing day to day. What's important is that the 4 is a compact sedan with numbers you'd expect from a compact sedan, IMO, while the S is a sub-compact coupe with numbers you'd expect from a compact sedan. So there's a difference of 161 pounds to deal with. We have 15 horses and 103lb/ft with which overcome this obstacle. Hardly seems an issue.

Efficiency: S = 24/31, 4 = 22/30. It could be personal, but is there enough of a difference to persuade one to live with 15 fewer ponies and 103 fewer lb/ft?

Breathing: There are still Omnis, LeBarons, Lasers and their ilk out there, and they still work. They may be gawd-awful ugly, but they're still chuggin'. This is whole new generation, and it's highly doubtful that reliability is going to be this turbo's undoing.

Twisties: No one who has seen a Neon at the track will suggest that this substantialy better sprung and footed entry won't stick like marine epoxy.

The practical reasons for going with the smaller diplacement plant are blurry at best. The emotional ones will sway some people with ease. If you live for high redlines, and deeply admire the technical wizardry that delivers them, Honda makes you happy, and all others will seem unsophisticated facsimiles. For any Honda admirer, I can't see them ever accepting any Dodge, or even acknowledging one, and I understand why, even if I don't share their sentiments.

For the rest of us, big fun at a bargain price is back; the reincarnation of the Roadrunner and the GLH is here. Spend three grand more if you want to, it's your money!
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I think we are in agreement with respect to performance of say, the RSX-S vs the SRT4.

But once again, there's the question of quality - quality of materials, build, operation, etc. Is that worth three grand? Depends upon your tastes. To me, yes. I mean, I'm as much a car enthusiast as the next guy. Actually, if the next guy is your Average Joe, I'm much more so. But when it comes time to spend the money, I definitely take into consideration some aspects of the car that have nothing to do with bottom line performance. Quality is definitely one of them. I plan to drive my RSX-S until its dead, which I hope will be many many happy miles down the road. Not a WRX, and not an SRT4, though both offer better acceleration by a healthy amount.

Your mileage may vary. Ain't nothing wrong with that.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Thought we weren't supoosed to make coments about
    r*** but we have a member who has the term in his login name.

245 lb ft of torque is a bunch. I imagine the neon will be much more fun around town than a Honda.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    As I mentioned to the point of boring everybody (and I'm going to do it AGAIN), I loved the Neon when it first came out.

AT LAST---I thought---an American car that was cheap AND fun to drive around a corner, both at the same time! The American Alfa Sprint (small, light fun coupe for not much money)

And the Neon WAS that, even if it was a bit rough around the edges.

But you know, the quality issue got out on the street and people started talking, and then doofus Chrysler decided to castrate the car for a while for some unknown reason, and the Neon stumbled in the gate.

Now if they can get that great combination back again, cheap + fun, and if they can glue the thing together to last just past the warranty, and do all that for $3K less than an equivalent Honda, that's okay in my book. Then the Neon promise might be realized after all. I can take the $3K I saved on the Honda to patch up the Neon after it hits 60,000 miles.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    being forgotten is that the SRT-4 will be produced in VERY limited numbers. That will result in gouging. Same thing happened to the S-2000. So the 19,900 price will end up about 3-4K more.

That makes mass produced cars like the RSX-S and WRX much more appealing. Moreover, the WRX and the Type S are still built in Japan while the SRT-4 is either built in the US or Mexico.

The Nissan SE-R Spec-V becomes the bargain of them all. You can get a Spec-V for 16,675 from carsdirect.com. That is more than 3K less than the SRT-4's MSRP. I really doubt that anyone will be able to get this car for less than MSRP.

You do not even get a mechanical LSD with the SRT-4 like you do with the Spec V. With that massive torque, the car really needs an LSD to help in launching and cornering.
    LSD might be nice but you can have lots of fun without it.
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    It's a fair question: quality of Neon vs. WRX and RSX-S. When it comes to longevity without pieces of trim falling off or annoying mechanical problems, okay the WRX and RSX-S will win, but not by a landslide with Daimler-Chrysler's production tolerances on the SRT-4, which by the way has a structure that's almost vault-like for its class.

I have previously posted a link to Road & Track, where they actually thought the SRT-4 was BETTER than the WRX in interior materials and the solid thunk of its doors. Versus the RSX, I can't say because I've never been in one, but I'll assume that it's an Acura and therefore has the better interior -- but of course lacks some of the Neon's storage, room, value and performance.

Another aspect of quality that deserves mention is paint. The 2003 Neon has one of the most interesting choices of paints (not the SRT-4) on the road, of any car, in my opinion. Some of them are downright artistic. The quality of the paint and its application is also very high...better than cars that cost much more. I'm not sure why Chrysler has chosen to do such a good job with random details like paint (and brakes), but it has. Makes the car look pretty sharp, and for about 14 thousands bucks with discounts, too. Not bad at all.
    "LSD might be nice but you can have lots of fun without it..."

Considering the popularity of sideshows, I should think a LSD would detract from the overall fun for some...;-)
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I have read many stories in magazines regarding long term tests of the WRX and they have all mentioned interior parts that were loose or failed.
    >>LSD might be nice but you can have lots of fun without it.<<

What kind of fun is it when you launch and spin your tires while the car does not move. The SRT-4 has massive torque at very low rpm, it NEEDS a mechanical LSD. I drove a Spec V and that thing has a lot of torque and even with the HLSD launching it is a handful.

I drove the Spec V on a road course and I can tell you that the car claws its way out of corners thanks in part to the HLSD. The SRT-4 will spin its inside wheel almost everytime the trubo kicks in.

I have driven my 98 SE-R race car with a viscous lsd, with an open diff, and with a Quaife mechanical lsd and I can tell you there is a difference.

A car with the power and torque of the SRT-4 must have an LSD to be fun.
    "The SRT-4 will spin its inside wheel almost everytime the trubo kicks in."

That turbo is already in full breath at 3200 rpms. I don't see anybody getting unexpected boost in the middle of a corner unless they get a leg cramp or something...;-)

I'd love to hear more about your experiences driving the SRT-4. Is the rear wing really that invasive on rearward visibility, as C&D says?

LSD? Better, perhaps, a two-speed automatic and a torque converter, a la the Chaparral? :)
    "What kind of fun is it when you launch and spin your tires while the car does not move"

That's not "driving", that's being a stoplight jockey. Anybody can do that. Just buy some slicks, problem solved.

Most people don't need an LSD to have barrels of fun. Race cars are something different to be sure.

Fun isn't about "results", it's about...well....fun.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Ok. A SRT without a LSD is fun. Given.

However, a SRT with a LSD is MORE fun. And it's not just about fun... it's about... well... MORE FUN.
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    I think the HP comparison to the high rpms v-techs is not right. Just from the drag racing results and the wheel dynos that have been performed show that no way the the SRT-4 only making 215 hp. The PT turbo may be, on a hot day with a heat soaked inter cooler, but the SRT-4 has many upgrades added buy the Viper guys that would make it impossible for both the SRT-4 and PT turbo to still be making the same HP. I bet the SRT-4 is making at least 265 hp. based on the 228 wheel dyno, and the 103 mph 1/4 mile times it has produced. Then there is the whole advantage of making lots more torque for a broad rpms range. Torque is the only thing that actually accelerates a car. 200 ft-lbs of torque accelerates a car equally at 2000 rpms as it does at 4000 rpms but the 4000 rpms torque equates to twice the HP it does at 2000 rpms. Same acceleration but 1/2 the HP! The key is to make torque a long time, over a wide rpms range to take advantage of gearing, yes it's good that the Honda's make lots of high rpms HP so they can maintain the gearing advantage for a long time w/o shifting, but even if the SRT-4 has to shift 3000 rpms sooner, it still is falling back into it's peak torque for another good 3000 rpm pull. The Honda only gets the long RPM pull in first gear, then it's just falling back into the same 3000 rpm pulls between gears, just from 5000 to 8000 rpms instead of 2500-5500 rpm. The real evidence of this comes in the 2 sec slower 1/4 mile times a RSA runs. HP may sell cars, but torque is what accelerates them.

The LSD is looking like it will be available as a dealer add on by the time the SRT-4 even hits the streets and it may even be under $1000. Consider also the easy turbo upgrades available direct from the factory, something not available for the already tweaked v-tech. I guess you can always add a turbo to the v-tech if you want to make good power but your talking very big bucks then.

The SRT-4 has a 70,000 mile warranty, so if you don't "melt" something in the first 70,000 miles then there is no particular reason why something is going to suddenly "melt" from 70-100,000 miles.

From reports of people who actually did drive the SRT-4 on a road course, not a Nissan extrapolated into what a SRT-4 would be like, the lack of LSD is not as apparent as they originally thought. It does seem they dialed in a bunch of understeer from the factory to try and keep the unwary safe. Nothing that wouldn't be cured from the factory parts store, they already have a bigger rear bar and drop kit with higher spring rates planned that dials out all the understeer.

By the time you add up all these great upgrades you still are just reaching what a RSA costs. Price gouging will surely happen but Dodge is really trying to get the authorized SRT stores to keep the price under $20,000 as advertised, lots of people will pay under $20,000 who take the time to find a fair dealer.
    >>That's not "driving", that's being a stoplight jockey. Anybody can do that. Just buy some slicks, problem solved.<<

I was talking about launching the car at the drag strip. I do not condone any form of street racing, not do I participate in it.

If you darg race you need an LSD to help put the power down. The Integra Type-R, probably the best FWD car, has one and it only has 130 lb-ft of torque. The SRT-4 has 245 lb-ft of troque and is FWD. This is a bad reciepe for massive wheel spin.

I do not know how laggy the turbo is in the SRT-4, but I would tell you that most of the race instructors that I have talked to hate FWD turbo cars. The boost is not linear and when it comes on in a corner the front wheels lose traction and you get understeer. Couple that with the tendency of street cars to be designed to understeer and you have a problem on your hands.

All this could be cured with suspension tuning and an LSD, but then the cost goes up above the 20K bench mark.

Sport Compact Car reviewd the car and said that it needs an LSD. I say all FWD performance cars need an LSD
  • magictmac1magictmac1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when the SRT-4 will be available to test drive... and when deliveries are expected? I have seen a SRT-4 TV ad within the last couple of weeks.
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    245 ft-lbs of torque I think is already hampering the acceleration times of this car. Reports have been around 5.8 - 5.9 from what I've seen. Also the rubber in front is only 205mm wide. I believe with the hp to weight ratio, this car could be in the mid to low 5 second range. A tire and wheel upgrade of at least 225mm or more should however pretty much solve the traction problem. I had my spyder modified (rough estimates) upto around 250hp with 230ft-lbs torque and wheel spin was not an issue with 225mm tires. With 205's however, it was.

And to the guy who thinks americans cant build decent hp to liter engines. The SRT is grossly underrated at 215 and is more around 260-265. Which would equal to about 110hp per liter. Which isn't too shabby by todays standards.

This car will eat up any FWD sport coupe from japan (past and present). And it comes in under $20k, with a warranty!
    Don't expect a test drive anytime soon. Unless you are looking at a dealer with a high markup. They may have cars sitting if they are trying to get $25,000 for one. Otherwise they cars will be presold before arriving for at least the first 6 months (at msrp or less). They actually should start showing up within the next two weeks as they have built over 100 of them by now and have just been putting them into a holding lot, it just depends on when they start shipping them. One rumor I have heard is that the warmer climates of California and Florida will get the first shipments, but a special PVO training course is required to sell and it may go more by what dealers meet the requirements first. Either way there are productions cars already built, tested, approved, and just sitting in a parking lot waiting shipping.
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    I'm not the buy that put down American technology, but I have to say that the SRT-4 has a Mitsubishi Turbo on it....
    Opting for LSD in a car like this would depend on whether it is load-sensing or speed sensing (non-Topsen) type. A speed-sensing type in this kind of road car wouldn't have a very long life I don't think. I wouldn't choose it if it were a speed-sensing diff.
    "I'm not the buy that put down American technology, but I have to say that the SRT-4 has a Mitsubishi Turbo on it..."

Considering history, ownership stakes and partnership agreements, boomn, that pretty much IS American technology! :)
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    According to Kellys Blue Book on line, the SRT-4 is eligible for the $2,500 rebate. I would guess that is not true.

Regarding demand, if it is as strong as everyone believes, I cannot imagine Dodge building as many as they can sell. The Neon is a poor seller, so they have a lot of excess production capacity, and it ain't exactly a collector's item anyways. I've seen the Subaru WRX advertised quite a bit below MSRP, so the SRT-4 will follow.

BTY, I had an 87 Sundance Turbo - the engine was the best thing in the car. Let's just hope Chrysler has learned to build more durable shift linkages.
    That $2500 rebate question is cropping up lots of places. The misunderstanding comes form Edmunds (and other) putting the SRT-4 as a trim level of the Neon. Dodge classifies the SRT-4 as an SRT-4, a completely different car. It is that way in the fliers, the websites, even the towing guide it is listed completely separate. All Neons do qualify for the $2500 rebate as well as other rebates like the Farm Bureau and college grad rebates, the SRT-4 (not technically a Neon according to Dodge) currently doesn't. On that note I hear some price quoting on-line services are putting the $2500 into their lowball quotes. Might be worth signing up for that price and then trying to hold them to it, but I'm sure there is some small print to let them weasel out of their mistake!
  • richt5richt5 Member Posts: 43
    I have contacted by internet DODGE dealers in my area for a quote on a SRT 4. After many notes, one dealer gave me phone numbers at dodge to call for information. This is what I was told: SRT 4'S will note be available till June of this year, orders will be taken sometime in march and the existing rebate on neons will not apply to the SRT 4.---- One dealer insists that the SRT is a 2004 model. So thats the scoop, dispite other things you read.
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Finally, Dodge seems to be waking up. It should not offer rebates on the SRT-4. The car's demand will exceed supply through the first year of production at the very least, and rebates both lower the profits and cheapen the image of a car. Daimler-Chrysler deserves to make a good profit on this car...it's well-engineered and well-priced.
  • 939status939status Member Posts: 2
    I owned a 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T. For those not in the know...this was a four-door sleeper. 2.2L 16V DOHC-224h.p. screamer. With very little modifications, it ran even with my 1993 Z-28 LT-1.The problem with the whole experience was very poor reliability! The aluminum head developed cracks easily, thus leaking coolant into plug valleys, the timing belt broke app. every 3000 miles. The car would run like s*** sometimes for no apparent reason, then run fine without any action taken to correct it. The point I'm making is that this car was a beast, but it was shoddily built and unreliable. This detracts from the fun factor...I've considered this SRT-4, but my better judgement will prevail and I will stick with my 2002 Mustang GT.
  • thedarkwolfthedarkwolf Member Posts: 70
    The plane old dodge sohc head didn't have those problems. There was a fix for the cracking problem where they replaced the steel, DUH, freeze plugs in the aluminum head with aluminum ones. I don't think any of the real fast, 12sec 1/4 or less, guys run the dohc head. I'd still like to have either a Spirit or Daytona R/T but I guess I can live with my turbo caravan. I also have an 89 5.0l mustang coupe and would keep a 02 GT over a SRT-4 but the SRT-4 is a pretty neat ride.
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    That is what separates the SRT from any other in its class. You don't need to do any modifications to the car. It's already been built to reliably handle its power output. You mentioned little modifications, did this include bumping up the turbo boost, maybe opening up the intake and exhaust some more also? I also had done similar modifications to my spyder a few years back. On the upside..my car ran terrific. It kept right up with 260hp mustang gt's from the original 210hp I had which barely could pull away from preludes, GTI's, integra's etc.. On the downside, I killed my first turbo at 70k from overstrain. Wore out my motor mounts, causing a couple of downpipes to break from overflexing. Cracked an exhaust manifold probably from the extra heat. Ran my car hot in the summer at times. Probably due to insufficient cooling. However, thanks to a proven mitsubishi engine, I now have 143k on the original drivetrain (minus turbo). And I drove around with all those modifications for close to 100k miles. I have closely followed all maintenance schedules, but have also driven the car hard since day one.

Any attempt for example, to modify a civic to perform anywhere near the level of an SRT, will result in MUCH worse reliablity and no warranty protection.

The SRT comes with around 260 unadvertised hp at the crank from the factory. A bumper to bumper warranty upto 36k and I'm sure extended warranties will be offered for upto 100k. There are even 3rd party warranties out there which will cover cars for upto 5yrs/150k miles.

The mitsubishi turbo in the SRT is one which is typically used in 300-350hp applications in the eclipse/talon turbo cars.

The only real question is, will there be an abundance of reliablity issues from the get go.
    Which is why its probably a good idea, like with any first year model, to stay away. This way any potential kinks can be worked out for next years production. Of course the car will probably never be as reliable as a civic, protege, etc.. But if the result is dealing with a few extra unscheduled service stops from time to time. I dont think the typical performance enthusiast who is interested in an SRT, will really care.
    Plus like I said, there is warranty protection available for any non maintenence stuff.

If honda did build a civic to perform next to a SRT. I highly doubt they would be able to pull it off for under $20k, without sacrificing significant cost in reliability.

Also no offense, but all those chrysler turbocharged cars from the 80's and early 90's were all frankly POS's when it came to reliablity ;)
    They have come a long way since then in terms of what their reliability standards use to be like.
    I was with your right with you up to

"Also no offense, but all those chrysler turbocharged cars from the 80's and early 90's were all frankly POS's when it came to reliablity ;)"

The imports beat us in the interior and fit and finish but overall I'd say the turbo chryslers were on par with all the other turbo cars made in that time period but all of them had problems :). A lot of the problems were the owners just didn't know how to treat those turbos right espcially in the chryslers. The kind of person that buys a 300zx turbo is more likely to take good care of it than a guy that buys a reliant or caravan turbo. Ones probably a car person the other is just a dad or mom :).
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Nothing like an old minivan running 12 second 1/4 mile times. Bonus points if it has the fake wood on the side, tehe.

Should get one for a project car...

-B
    But I ripped the fake wood off :). Its was all ripped up and looked really bad. Already have a boost controller and free flowing exhaust on it and I just bought a probe intercooler so I should be seeing high 14s here pretty soon :). High 14s aren't that impressive but come on its a minivan.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jan/20031297149903053- 928496.jpg
    Got to love it. The sound of that turbo spoiling up puts an evil grin on my face everytime.

Whats really cool is not only did they make a turbo minivan they made a turbo minivans with 5 speeds. To bad I couldn't find one of those.
    I love 5 speeds (http://www.standardshift.com), I think Chrysler's bulletproof 3 speed auto is a better choice for older turbo applications, especially when the mods start happening.

Besides, it makes the win that much sweeter, tehe. Ack, I can't believe I just suggested an automatic over a manual.

The parents of a friend of mine in college won a caravan, and they got a 5-speed installed in it. Now that's dedication!

Getting back on topic, I wonder if the 2.4L turbo will be available as a crate motor. Would make for some interesting projects.

-B
    Well chrysler put like 6 or so different 5 speeds in those turbo cars two of which really hold up well. The 555 and 568 and those are what came in the vans so I could live with it. The auto does let you build boost off the line though.

"Getting back on topic, I wonder if the 2.4L turbo will be available as a crate motor. Would make for some interesting projects.

-B "

It probably will be. I already see people taking the sohc and dohc neon head and sticking them on the old 2.2l and 2.5l blocks with a little modding. It won't be to long before we start seeing 2.4l turbo omnis running around :).
    I'm hearing that they are on the lots in Florida as of yesterday. A dodge dealer in Miami had 4 on the lot 3 yellows and a silver all for the MSRP of 19,995. Some California dealers have gotten the invoices which means the cars are less then 10 days of of California. Supposedly they were building up supplies for a mass release in Florida and California. This way they could put 3-5 on most major lots to keep dealers form really price gouging. Something that would have happened if they were trickling in one at a time.
  • 939status939status Member Posts: 2
    My mistake not listing mods...K&N air filter, Cheaper than cheap turbo muffler. That is it. Never touched the boost, nor delved into the electronics of the machine. Look to the web sites dealing with this car...these problems were engineered into this car. Its unfortunate that Dodge quality with relation to its cars, is sub-par-the records don't lie! I find myself in a real conundrum as I like some of their vehicles, yet I don't like being on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck, as I was years ago with my '90 Laser that I purchased new from Dodge. I'm not even going to delve into the terrible dealer service from so many Dodge dealers that I have experienced.(so bad that I usually had to contact their national customer service "800" # to find a resolution to problems with the cars. Well, so why am I on this site looking at the SRT-4? The answer is simple....High 13-low 14 sec. 1/4 miles for 20,000!! I am a glutton for punishment, a speed junkie! I'm trying to fight this "jones". I guess I'll have to go out into my garage and start up the GT! Never a problem, not one...owned an '85, '86, '88, and a '90. Easily accepted any modifications, always starts, never been stranded or towed. Okay I'll just keep reminding myself of this....well maybe just one test drive...or perhaps as was stated "wait for the second year of production".Decisions, decisions! Is'nt America great!!!!
    It sure looks like dodge is trying to get free advertisement on the srt 4 rather than sell cars. Maybe its because the neon sales are so poor. What kind of company would bring out a car before they had their marketing ,sales and production in place. I called chrysler and they could not even tell me availability. Also,if you notice all the test cars were prototypes prepared by dodge for testing. Are the production cars going to meet that performance level.--So each dealer is going to get 2 or 3 cars -big deal. If the quality of this car is as unorganized as the people behind it,it may be a good idea to leave it alone, no matter how good it sounds. DODGE PLEASE GET YOUR STUFF TOGETHER BEFORE YOU RELEASE YOUR PRODUCTS.
    It looks like the earlier dyno run done by I think Sport Compact wasn't a ringer car.

This is just some guy that bought one and took it to the dyno.

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/blackcat/My_SRT.htm

220hp and 247ft-lbs at the front wheels

If they would put that engine in a light rwd 2 door car I would sell the Mustang :)
    Thanks for the info. The dyno tests do look real enough. Looks like FL has these cars available.
    It looks like all the loudmouths ranting about how the media cars were ringers are wrong. Production models are in the 210WHP-225WHP range stock. Talk about an amazing deal...

-B
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    I seen a little of the SRT-4 on SPEED TV yesterday. The volume was off, so I couldn't hear anything. I did read the performance numbers:
    0-60 in 6.0 seconds
    1/4 in 14.9 at 99mph

It also stated 215hp and 245 torque.

Is it just me, or is a near 15 second 1/4 mile nothing special really??
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    It's cheap speed. If you don't care about going fast there's not much else there to be excited about.
    If you look at the trap speed of 99mph, the SRT-4 is certainly capable of better than a 14.9. It was either this test they mentioned the track was wet and cold, or another test (Motorweek?) that ran the same time where the testing conditions stunk. Hey, it doesn't have AWD, tehe.

All of the other tests are giving similar trap speed with an time of 14.0-14.3, which is more like it.

-B
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    The SRT-4 could be the fastest car under $25K and possibly under $30K (below the Mach 1 Stang).

The WRX is slightly faster than the Mustang GT in 0-60 and 1/4 mile (R&T, Nov. 2001 issue) but:

whp - SRT-4 - ~220hp & 245 torque (lbs/ft)
    whp - WRX - ~192hp & 197 torque

Also the SRT-4 is about 200 lbs. lighter

Numbers from Sport Compact.

The numbers from Speed TV look very slow. I assume they obtained these numbers w/o a clutch drop?
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    I'm a wrx owner and my curiosity took me to the local dodge dealer. They had 3 srt4s, one each in silver, black, and yellow. the wing is awful. i know the car is rounded, but does the wing have to be also??

Interior: I thought the interior was nice, and all the surfaces had a nice feel to them. the gauge package is good. The seats are supportive, but could use more thigh support.

Exterior: the hood scoop doesn't seem necessary. The turbo is way in the back of the engine, very close to the firewall. The scoop will only get the engine bay dirtier quicker. They should've just put the turbo more towards the front for cooling and/or safety. The wheels look slick, but the red painted calipers look ricey.

Driving impression: Wheelspin, and lots of it. even good michelin pilot sports couldn't contain all the power. The car makes usable power from about 2500 rpm and quits around 5000 rpm. lower revving, but it works. doesn't sound all that refined though. exhaust is a bit loud, but I like it. pops now and then. Gearshift is resistant to quick shifting, probably because the car is new. clutch is reasonably light, but brake and gas a bit too far for easy heel-toe. suspension is good, but way too much understeer. needs limited slip and a bit more camber i think. cruises comfortably on the freeway. couldn't get the car going too fast around turns, but stability seems good and brakes are upto the task. body roll very little.

Great value, but not at this dealer's $3000 markup.
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    the wrx has been reported at around 170 whp in most cases stock. the awd system causes a lot of drivetrain loss. most cars with turbo back exhaust and uppipe gain about 30-40 hp. at a local awd dyno, they claimed that most wrx's are around 165-175 hp stock, with one freaky one at 182 stock.
    http://joseph.eaton.net/neon.wmv
    Motor Trend Tv's review
    If you don't have a high speed connection they pulled

0-60 5.6
    0-100 13.8
    1/4 14.2

One with a 3 inch exhaust
    http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=458

1/8 mile numbers
    http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=459
    Doing the old 1.55 X 1/8 mile time = 14.05 for the 1/4

Slap an lsd in it or some slicks and 13s should be easy.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    These are numbers I read in Sport Compact mangazine. Who knows?

BTW, did you put the uppipe and turbo back exhaust on your WRX? Also, have you heard about Prodrive mods comming to the U.S.?