Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Neon SRT-4

Comments

• richt5richt5 Member Posts: 43
    There has been some detail info on possible turbo mods on the srt 4 and i would like to learn more , being an engineer I like the tech info.My questions are: are there simple mods which can give more improved performance without hurting the car and can be un-done easily ,if the car has to go back to MR DODGE. Also, it seems that maybe 3 or 4 tenths of a second can be taken off the quarter miles times with better traction. Has anyone out there fitted wider tires to the front wheels. It seems even if you get more hp out from turbo mods , it will all go up in smoke at the line. comments please
  • thedarkwolfthedarkwolf Member Posts: 70
    but the computer in the car limits boost in the lower rpms to keep torque from going over 245ft-lbs. Thats why they have such a flat torque curve thats almost always right around 240ft-lbs. Slap a $15 boost controller in it set to 15psi so it can come up to full factory boost as soon as possible and some slicks and easy you have easy 13s. Shouldn't hurt the car since they have factory mods to raise the torque up to around 300ft-lbs and it would be easy to remove the boost controller and slicks if something did happen. 15psi is the max it runs from the factory so you can probably squeeze some more out of it without hurting anything but its to new to know how much boost the car's computer and fuel system can keep up with. To new for me to know anyway.
    Thanks for the exact info for the second time.
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    that's great if sport compact car can get that much hp and tq out of a stock wrx... i do have a custom uppipe and 3 in turbo back exhaust with a magnaflow muffler. I have heard about the prodrive packs, but my mods have already covered some of the items prodrive will include. i'm sure the prodrive packs will be well designed with performance to match, but i don't know if i can justify spending money on a part i've already modified. We'll see when they come out. A local dealer has some pricing on 3 prodrive packages, with the lowest one starting at $1150 for intercooler pipe, ecu, and rear muffler... if it had come out earlier, it's a good package, as an ecu reflash alone is about $800. I just need an ECU reflash and the intercooler pipes, and i'll have the same package...
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Do you notice the extra power, specifically in the low end of the tachometer? Also, what wheels did you end up going with 17" or 18"? Would love to go with 18" but worried about the deterioration in ride quality.

To keep this on the SRT-4 topic. Put 225s on the SRT-4 and I am sure a great deal of the handling and wheel-spinning issues will be resolved. Can the car handle 225s though?
    thanks... i refused to pay $1100 to get a brand name turbo back exhaust (like MRT etc) and then get an uppipe for another $250. My total custom system cost $700. No, I felt a slight loss in the low end, but much better after 4000rpm. The 3in pipe diameter could be partly to blame. I have Gunmetal rota subzeros 17x7.5 w/ cheap Kumho 712s 225/45/17s for now (they're good tires, but their traction at the limit isn't progressive). Ride is about the same, but the steering tracks grooves more (probably due to Kumhos).

The SRT4 should handle 215s easy, maybe 225s if the fenders can accomodate them. Mazda fits 215/45/17s in their MP3 and Mazdaspeed Protege without a problem. A limited slip is the first thing i'd do to the SRT4 in terms of mods. Just like the WRX's achilles heel was the poor RE92s, so i got wheels and tires first.
    Except I am looking at Silver. I keep trying to find alternatives, but the ones I find are either heavier or pricier, even from Rota. Over at Tirerack, they were raving about the Sumitomo HTR+s for value, so we will see, good luck!

BTW, stopped by a Dodge dealer today and was able to take a good look at the SRT-4. It looks much better in person than in the pictures. Dodge did a nice job on the exterior styling. The rear actually looks roomy too. The interior is decent but looks very bland.

I would have testdrove it, but it was raining, and doubted the dealer would let me testdrive it with driving up in a WRX. Who knows?
    yeah i drove up in the wifey's protege ES "looking for more power" ;). I too thought that they wouldn't let me test drive if i came in a wrx thinking i just wanted to see what competition i could expect on the roads.

yeah subzeros are good. they're all hubcentric now too which is good. they're around 17 lbs ea. AFAIK. I like the formels a lot, i don't know how much they weigh. The tarmacs are heaviest at 19lbs.
    They weigh about 17 lbs. for the 16"ers, so I am guessing they weigh around 19.5 lbs. for the 17"ers, otherwise they probably would have been my top choice. They look pretty sharp. Heck, I might get them anyway if I could justify the weight for each wheel. 2.5-3 lbs. per wheel seems a little high.

I wonder if they would fit on the SRT-4? They look close to the current wheels on the SRT-4. I just can't believe the rims are 17"-6"s. I would have thought Dodge would have put wider rims on this car!
    I Have made the move , found a good dealer and reserved an srt 4. If anyone puts different tires on the car (every day type), for better traction please let me know. I know the cars are new and limited, but soon someone will find what max rubber will fit on the car. Dealer was unsure of delivery (as all are), but district rep.said ,by the end of this month (march). Im paying sticker price and wrote into the contract no more than 10 miles on the o.d./ plus no longer wait than 60 days---to cover myself. If longer order a 2004.Found it was hard to find a good dealer to work with.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    had 2 listed at their Los Angeles store yesterday for around $18500 or $1500 under msrp. Local dealers in Michigan don't have any yet.
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    I think the wheels are narrow because the turning radius is already 40+ feet if I'm not mistaken. Dodge is notorious for doing this, goes back to the K-car days. Why I have no clue...

-B
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Actually, it's not just Dodge, but partners as well. I just parted ways with a Sebring LXi coupe, aka Dodge Stratus R/T, aka Mitsubishi Eclipse GT.

The Mitsu's turning radius is actually bigger than our Town & Country EX's!

On the rubber, I bought a first gen Stratus ES V6 sedan when they first hit the market in '95. Excellent car, if a little underpowered, with exceptional handling (IMO) for the class, but true to Chrysler form, it had 195/65-15s on 6" rims. The car was capable of much more than the rubber would ever allow. At the first opportunity, I bought 16" rims and 215/55-16s. The difference was unbelieveable.

Not sure what it is with Chrysler and rubber, but their offerings always seem shy on treadwidth to me.
  • gamoongamoon Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone actually own this vehicle. I contacted a large dealership in Atlanta and the salesman stated the vehicle is not available for purchase yet. If its available can someone recommend a dealership in Georgia?
    The west coast and Fl got cars first.CT is getting cars the end of this month. Some dealers here are taking deposits now because of limited production. If you really want one, put down a deposit at a dealership you trust. My dealer is selling for sticker price. I have heard of up to 3k over sticker , to one posting from the west coast were a dealer is selling for $1500 under sticker.It all has to do with-- if you really want an SRT 4 or not. Do a little more investigation ,Im sure your area will be seeing these cars within the next month.
  • watchdoc2003watchdoc2003 Member Posts: 22
    I would like to correct several posts I've seen refering to the TD04/16G turbo on the Neon SRT-4. First of all, it is not the same popular turbo that many Mitsubishi owners buy as an upgrade for their DSM's. The Neon using an exhaust housing integrated into the exhaust manifold. This alone negates using a "off the shelf" 16G turbo. The mitsubishi 16G comes in two main flavors; "small 16g" and "big 16g". The small 16g flows 505 cfm and the big 16g flows 550 cfm. These both have the TD05 housing which flows much more air than the TD04 housing.

The "16g" simply refers to the compressor wheel in the turbo in this case. I would assume the flow is much less than 500cfm but I haven't seem any flow numbers yet.
  • tazz4tazz4 Member Posts: 1
    I have had an SRT4 since 2-28-03 and I love it.
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    are at all so. cal dealerships right now. glendale has 3.
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    What is DSM?
    DSM=Diamond Star Motors... It refers to all models of Mitsu Eclipse/Eagle Talon/Plymouth Laser that were made on the same assembly line from the early 90s. Some Eclipses could be had with either front or all wheel drive with a 2.0L turbo engine similar to the one used in the Lancer Evolution series.
  • inzininzin Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Alanta area and went through a car broker service offered through my credit union. No dealer in Gerogia currently has the SRT4. He told me that it will be 13-15 weeks before any Georgia dealers will be SRT certified which is a Dodge requirement for a dealer to get the SRT. The broker went through a Flordia dealer to get the car. It will be transported Thursday and I pick it up Friday. I got it for list price 19995.00 with Tax title ect around 21600.00 This is in line with the TMV listed on Edmonds. This is the first car I have every bought a car with out first test driving it.
    I will post again once I have driven it around some.
    Ive got a deposit on a SRT 4 .Should be in 2 weeks . Let me know how you like it . I didnt test drive mine either. Give me your first impressions on driving it. It seems a great value , if your a car guy.
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    There are plenty of SRT-4s here in Southern California. Seems like most Dodge dealers have at least 5. Some have more than 10. Don't know if they're selling though.
  • cochesecochese Member Posts: 19
  • collegecarcollegecar Member Posts: 18
    All the dealers in my area have plenty. It is not necessary to put down deposits and wait for weeks for one to come. If you want one, you just go the dealer and pick your color from several on the lot. I have yet to see one on the road. I did not actually go in and look closely at the car to see if they were price gouging due to the car being a new model that they hope will be hot, so the reason they are not flying off the showroom floors may be due to the dealers possibly trying to hold out for a markup over sticker price.
    I have not seen any ads on TV letting people know that the car is on sale, but the type of people who would buy this car should know it's out due to numerous magazine articles and reviews.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    It was surprisingly alone. No on was really checking it out. I could not believe it still had manual window in the rear doors.
    A year from now....Just gotta make sure I'll still have a job then. There are just too many uncertainties in the world right now. Besides, it's a "first model year", which means there'll likely be some bugs in the design. Also, how about making that rear wing optional instead ??

Those dealers who are holding on to these cars for a nice markup (over sticker) are fools. Those who buy these cars at or over sticker are even bigger fools. This is Dodge we're talking about here !!!
    While the basic unit-body is a dodge neon. The front ,rear, side add on panels, suspension mods, wheels and tires and interior add-ons are srt 4. Not to mention the mechanicals:engine ,transmission, clutch, (dont know about the differential).I know the neon has had limited success.As far as rear windows (no power)it seems real cheap. But really, how often will the driver open them. Im driving the same 4 door for over 2 years and have opened the back windows---maybe 6 times. This may well have done to save weight ---rather than being an oversight.I know the sound system does not have a sub woofer, because of the weight. The guys who designed this car pretty much went bare bones, to keep the performance up and cost down.Its something like the old "60's" muscle cars, limited creature comforts, with high performance. I agree DONT PAY OVER STICKER ,its just a rip off. I wonder why the west coast has so many cars. The dealers here in CT are said to be getting only 2-4 cars each. Maybe it has to do with how many cars they sell a year.
    Yes, the chassis is a Neon and is an existing design. But the rest of the package is new. So I'm just gonna give it some time for everything to come together. I don't mind the lack of power windows in the back or a subpar stereo system. Just give me something fast, affordable and reasonably reliable and I'll be more than happy to dump my Japanese econo box.

California dealers have a lot of SRT-4s because California is a huge auto market. Furthermore, this is the hub of the "sports compact car" scene.

You can have one of these babies for $18,469 (that's $100 below invoice) at a Dodge dealer by L.A. Airport (according to Carmax). He's selling them as fast as he gets them. As for the other dealers around town, don't know what they're asking, but their SRT-4s don't seem to sell. I know because I've been checking their inventories the last week or so.
    Thanks for the quick comeback.It seems you may know alot more about this than I do.The chrysler stereo (which really is minor to me is rated above average). As far as reliable ,I just thick we have to wait and see. Im driving a Japanese car too (honda). So im taking the chance.From one other posting , an extended coverage policy from chrysler is of course avalible.Its extra money ,but you can cover your butt and still the car vs performance is good.If you dont like the car ,im sure you could sell it quik. Your out the taxes and dealer b.s.,but will not loose much.Im in CT,if you were closer I would let you drive mine and let you make the decision.
  • collegecarcollegecar Member Posts: 18
    It is probably not going to be that reliable, but that is not what the car is about. It is not a Camry.
    If you want something similar with better reliability, the WRX is available for a little more money and you get 4 wheel drive thrown in. For a lot more money there is the new limited edition WRX model with even more power than a "base" WRX.
    I think the SRT4 gives you crude, mean-looking bang for the buck raw power with good handling too. I don't think there is anything you can buy new for $19995 that will be able to outperform it, but plan on it not being any more reliable than a typical Neon. It should be an exciting car to drive though and probably worth the money as long as you are ready to "deal with" any problems that will turn up.
    I have a tendency to agree with you. If you look at regular neons and past turbo dodges , head gaskets blowing is a common failure.From the modifications done to the srt 4 motor, from the bottom up it looks as if these and other problems have been addressed.If the door handles fall off, there are squecks and rattles and the car stops and leaves you hanging, then dodge has defeated the intent of the car--- which is to sell more neons. If the srt 4 fails , then in time the whole line will fail.By the way the wrx is one ugly car, which ever way you look at it. One guy told me when he saw it "what end do you put the corn in"--- it looks like farm machine. Maybe the next wrx will fix this situation.Also, being the past owner of a previous subaru turbo, you better get the extended coverage package. The price of parts alone are many times the cost of its competitors ,like an exhaust to turbo to exhaust 2 foot long pipe for $900. (which are not cheap).Of course looks are a matter of tastes---one mans garbage is another mans treasure. Like I hate the wing on the srt 4. But if the quality of the srt 4 puts it in the DODGE dealers repair shop a good portion of the time ,DODGE would have been better off not to offer the car at all. Time will tell if srt 4 quality has improved over the neon---todays market will not accept inferior products, no matter how fast they are.Buyers will go back to the JAPANESE market, even if most (not all) are slow and boring.Please no wrx owners be offended .I would but a wrx if it didnt look like a series of after thoughts.
    Subaru's are pretty reliable, but come on, an uppipe and downpipe for $900? why did you choose subaru parts? most good exhaust shops (at least here in so. cal) can make any exhaust part except maybe headers. i have a custom made 3" turbo back exhaust and an uppipe for $550. no leaks, and sounds great. i've had it for about a year.
    I also checked local shops in the area, which were all about the same price for the pipe.Im sure you have one up on us here. SO. CAL is the heart of these pocket rockets , with much talent and experience. I wish such means were available here. So people on the west coast are better off and I believe far ahead in custom fabrication for these cars.If it comes to small or big block chev.,we can compete with the best of them, but we are learning on [non-permissible content removed] cars.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    You guys might be surprised to know that the Neon has been a leader in it's segment in the CR ratings and JD power initial quality ratings.

Dodge has done a lot to correct it's quality faults of the 90's.
    It's over the long haul where things start falling off.
    to worry about reliability all the times. I've owned a Honda, a Toyota, and a couple of Nissans. My next car will either be a Mustang GT or this SRT-4. I'm willing to put up with the increased problems associated with American brands. Time for some fun ! The SRT-4 is some serious fun for less than $20K. No other cars come close. Besides, I don't plan on keeping it for more than 5 yrs. And the 7 yr/70K warranty will give me some peace of mind.

The WRX is not bad. But it's a little too pricey and I don't need AWD.

Another thing, isn't there a forum that isn't infested with Honda zombies ? Seems like they're everywhere preaching their reliability and high resale value. Is the Honda world too boring ? Right, gee35 ??
    But I'm not willing to dive on the knife Dodge has out there. I'd go used 300ZX before I'd go Neon. $19,000 is a nice used sprts car plus money for mods/repairs. But to each his/her own. Haven't seen the word Honda in here from me. Honda doesn't build a car that competes at the price/performance level of the SRT. I'm just curious about the car.
    Come on over to www.turbododge.com and hang out. Lots of good people over there. Its mainly for us older turbo dodge guys but there is a section for the srt-4 and I am sure as more are sold there will be more activity about it.

BTW the 2.4l turbo has been around for awhile in Mexico so hopefully they atleast have the bugs worked out with the engine already.
    Has anyone out there tried wider tires on the srt 4 yet----what max width will fit the car on the stock wheels. Or can you get new wheels with a different off -set. I know the guys on the WEST COAST had these cars first---may someone made a change. Or maybe someone with a neon 2-3 years old has done it , which may be the same as the srt 4. Traction seems to be a real problem off the line. I know at some time a limited slip differential will be available, but what is the fix now without going to slicks. Maybe someone like tire rack would know. But I would be more comfortable with someone who has actually made it work.-- invite comments. mine will be in --in a couple of weeks. It may be easier to make the change right--- at the dealer or garage when new. You could use the old wheels for snow tires
    Both wheels letting loose off the line? Dodge seemed to make a big deal about the equal length driveshafts which should help with torque steer and one-wheel burnouts.

-B
    richt5 - Well, the stock wheel is a 17x6. So a 205mm tire width is the MAX that the wheel can handle. Personally, I would like a 6.5" or 7.0" rim width to handle the 205mm. I suspect with the stock setup, the tirewall bulges out quite a bit. This doesn't look good at all. A wider tire will look nice. To keep the wheel diameter the same, you have to go with a 225/45/17. I don't see the need to go to an 18" setup, unless you don't care about your kidney.

With a 225mm width, you'll need at least a 7.0" rim width. But this, too, will give you a slight bulging look. A 7.5" rim width is preferred. If you want to see a 225/45/17 with a 7.0" rim setup, check out the Golf GTI or Jetta (with the 17" wheel option). The Audi TT, on the other hand, has the same tire size, but mounts on 7.5" rims...much better.

thedarkwolf - Thanx for the info. I already check out the site. Lots of helpful stuff. I'll be keeping an eye on owner reported problems.
    One advantage of the bulging look is that tires take the curb scrubbing, not your rims. Autocross folks will tell you that tire life can be severely shortened by having tires that are on the upper end of the size spectrum that's given for a wheel size.

-B
  • gvr4201gvr4201 Member Posts: 1
    I almost bought an SRT4 this weekend. Two weeks ago, they were selling at Glendale Dodge in So. CA for retail plus $2000 dealer mark up. One week later same dealer advertised them in the LA Times for $2500 below retail, totaling $17,500 after the dealer discount, but only "1 available at this price." This last weekend they advertised it for the same $2500 below retail, but this time "not just 1, but ALL in stock" plus offered "0 down, 0% apr, 0 payment till 2004" without any exclusions in the fine print except for "A+ credit rating req'd". They also had extra manufacturer rebate along with 0% apr offer in the same ad, but had "excludes srt4" in the fine print, but the 0 down, 0%APR, 0 payment till 2004 offer is still real good. For anyone interested i can scan and send the ad, to help you guys who don't live in socal try to get the same deal.
    With all this said, i was so close to picking one up this weekend, but they didn't have silver, only 2 reds, 2 yellows, 1-2 black. Financing was all set but i backed out last minute because #1: losing money on my trade in, #2 reliability.
    ive never had good luck with US built cars. I used to own a 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo, which is a US built car identical to Eagle Talon and Plymouth laser. this car had sooooooo many problems, blown head gasket, burned valves at around 80k, leaks galore, all this and i bought the car new. i gladly sold the car, and bought a used limited edition 1991 Galant VR4, for those of you who don't know about this car (not surprising since they only imported 2000 of these babies from Japan in 1991), its a 4 door version of the Eclipse/Talon/Laser, with a few differences, the most important being the Galant VR4 was made entirely in Japan. Same engine, same electronics, pretty much same drivetrain, except built different places. Long story short, the Japanese built galant was WAY more reliable and built way better than my eclipse. Even fully modified with a bigger J-spec turbo, front mount intercooler, all on the untouched internally stock original factory engine, it still pulled 13.6 1/4 mile times on the original 160k miles and remained reliable enough to be driven from so cal to oregon when i sold it a year ago.
    anyhow, that made the biggest difference in my decision not to buy the SRT4 despite such a great price and finance rate. With the non-turbo neons extremely poor reliability rating, i just didn't want to take a chance, plus with my career I don't have time to fix things and "DIY" modifications anymore. Hence, Ive decided to wait 1 month and purchase an EVO when the dealer mark ups are gone, or an STi but i doubt if that will be available, despite the 10k price difference, I think these two cars will hold their value, mystique, and reliability much better than a NEON, and more likely to be two of those cars destined to be "classics" or "keepers" because of the low # of units that will ever be sold. thats worth an extra 10k in itself! Perhaps 4 years ago, when i was still in college, working weekends at this shop that built rally cars, and only worried about having a fast car reliable enough to drive to street races but not enough to survive a long daily commutes with AC at full blast, the SRT4 is definitely the car to have, specially if you live life a 1/4 mile at a time! And im sure one of these days, a heavily modified SRT4 will pull up to my EVO/Sti and probably spank me (if they manage to ever put all that power to the ground), but which ever car I will own will still run mid 13s in street legal form and never need to be on rollers during emissions testing. Oh, last word of warning, Turbo magazine states that the srt4 despite running a Mitsubishi built 16g turbo, it will not be as easy to get upgrades as turbo eclipse which uses a similar mitsu turbo, because the exhaust housing is integrated with the exhaust manifold (weird!), and turbo upgrades will most likely need an aftermarket exh manifold as well, or the factory exh manifold and turbine housing can be hogged out to fit a bigger aftermarket turbine cartridge, but youll be limited by the relatively small size of the 16gs housing. sorry so long hope this helps someone!
    The srt-4s are already hitting high 12s with only a few mods and slicks.

http://www.atpturbo.com/turbopiping/videos/129SRT416PSI.mpg
    http://www.atpturbo.com/turbopiping/videos/129SRT416PSI.wmv
    same video just different formats.
    The aftermarket will certainly take care of the integrated housing issues with plenty of options. The car is hot, and tuners will follow.

A 1.8 second 60 foot time isn't too shabby with slicks and an open differential with a car with almost 300 lb-ft of torque at 3000 RPM. The 12.9 isn't bad either, tehe. Track nights will be interesting this summer for the unsuspecting!
    Just got the news--the dealer I had a deposit with is only getting yellow cars (hate them) (SRT 4 ). I was working with a total of 5 dealers at the start 4 in CT and 1 in new york state. I called the other dealers and all will not take deposits (because ---they said premiums are going to be added to the sticker---2k--3k.So it looks like I am out of luck this year -maybe.The up side of this is one of the dealers(who seems to know the most about the car) hinted that the next car coming out (neon type) will be at least as good as this car and better. The guy knew more about the SRT 4 than any other dealer, so I kind of believe him.I will not ever pay over sticker, especially considering things like I could buy a new neon RT for 10-11k.The difference seems to be that dealers in SO.CA.and FL have many more cars per dealership (THAN CT) to limit over sticker RIP OFF , but north east dealers also sell less DODGES, so get less SR4'S. So it look like a waiting game, I am disappointed , but thats life.If anyone has news ,in the future,on cars available in the north east (at sticker or below), please send me a note --thanks--LOG OFF.
    to Florida and a fun drive back home?
    Do you have any specifics .Dealer name -phone #, cars available ,prices .I know these are alot of questions , but I have got to ask.THANKS
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    I recently called a CT dealer on the availability of a Mitsubishi EVO. They were willing to gaurentee msrp if I put a small downpayment down on a silver color one they have coming in shortly.

I find it hard to believe dodge dealers around here, are really going to be able to sell SRT's above sticker or at for that matter.

Just give it sometime before you finally start seeing them on the lots. Make a few calls, visit a few different dealers....I'm sure anyone will eventually be able to pick one up at a reasonable price. With the cost of living in CT these days...these cars are going no where fast around here!