Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Stop and go traffic, I get around 44 mpg.

Highway (70 mph): 55 mpg

Stickshift
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    My last tank in my Jetta Wagon was over 50 MPG. This is with 5 spd.. My Golf with auto averages 42 to 43 mpg. in mixed city/highway. There are plenty of Prius owners with averages below 40. Don't know about the Honda. For the same cost of the Honda or Prius I have a sunroof, heated seats, better crash test scores and more space than Prius or Civic. As far as emissions the TDI does emit more pollutants than the Civic or Prius. Even so it is considered a green car in Canada and Europe. CO2 emissions are very low, but NOx and particulates are higher. The emissions for the TDI are affected greatly by the high sulfur low cetane diesel fuel in the US. By 2006 there is scheduled to be low sulfur diesel in the US.
    With the TDI you get a more luxurious and fun to drive high MPG car. I feel you simply get more for your money with TDI than Prius or Civic. With any of the three you are doing the environment a favor compared to 98% of the vehicles sold.
    If you want high mileage to reduce the cost of driving then the TDI and the hybrids do not make sense. The higher cost of purchase is not recovered by the decrease in fuel mileage.
  • natescapenatescape Member Posts: 176
    Yes, UP makes a great chip for them, and the chip ROCKS. Just be aware that if your dealership finds out, they just might try to void your warrantee.
  • rcastabrcastab Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to decide whether to get the TDI model or the 1.8L engines. But What about maintenance cost and reliability, anyone know if the TDI models require more expensive maintenance? Is the TDI engine a hybrid engine?
    I got to thinking about this issue, when I thought about more mileage per gallon and thinking green. But then I realize that the new hybrids, half electric with a generator motor, and the other half fuel engine, both working together to achieved low mpg. But what I concern about is the maintenance for these new hybrid vehicles, are they really green in the long run, especially the battery storage for the generators, from what I understand they use multiple battery cells to store energy charge. Eventually these new batteries need to be replace and brings another issue of proper disposal and pollution. I might be wrong but I hoping someone can help me clear things up. Thanks!
    It's not a hybrid.

Here's the basic maintenance for the TDI
    10,000 miles: oil change (the 1st 2 oil changes are done 5,000 miles)
    20,000 miles: fuel filter
    80,000 miles: timing belt

The 1.8T does 5,000 mile oil changes (my owner's manual isn't in front of me), you got spark plugs to change, fuel filter, & timing belts also.
    Diesels are marginally cleaner than hybrids (wait to see the huge amounts of batteries that will clog our landfills in the coming decades if hybrids take off). They're also infinitely more drivable and safe.

If you run biodiesel in a TDI, you have the greenest car on the road, by a HUGE margin.
  • rcastabrcastab Member Posts: 2
    I called my local dealer today and asked the same question, salesperson said "yes they are made in Mexico". But I remember someone or something online said they were made in Germany. Can someone tell me where they are really constructed. Thanks!
  • leemondoleemondo Member Posts: 4
    Here is an Indigo blue TDI wagon VIN I found listed online. I used a VIN decoder site to break it down. Looks like (not surprised based on my experience) your salesman needs some remedial training. :-)

Volkswagen & Audi VIN decoder Version 1.11, September 2000
    VIN Number: WVWSP61J12W525065
    Model Year No value found for value - 2 (2)
    Model Type Golf/Jetta/Bora(A4) (1J)
    Model Style VW Passenger car made in Europe (WVW)
    Body Type 4 door Sedan (S)
    Engine Type No value found for value - P (P)
    Rest Type Driver, Passenger & Side Airbag Restraint (6)
    Plant Made Wolfsburg (W)

Lee
  • saffiresaffire Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, new to this message center. I ordered a TDI Golf GL on 2/5/02 and as far as anyone can tell, it's still on a boat from Rio. Does anyone have any idea of how long it's going to take to get to Milwaukee? My dealer said 90 days, but it's been more than that already. What type of experiences have you had? Thanks!
  • minuchin1minuchin1 Member Posts: 6
    I'm a not-so-happy TDI owner and I'd like to know if anyone else has been plagued by similar maintenance--front passenger window rail broke; glow plugs went out and needed to be replaced; rear brakes were out of alignment and the right side wore to metal while the other pad was relatively unmarked; sporadic problems with the harness wiring; and now, the mass air control system went out. This is all within a 7 month period. I've enjoyed brief periods of driving this car but cannot keep up with these costly repairs every one to two months. Any ideas?
  • kilimanjarokilimanjaro Member Posts: 11
    Is VW still selling these cars in California
    TDI is being sold in CA and NY. They are generally limited to a certain number so it is better to buy early in the model year if you live in CA or NY.
  • mdecampsmdecamps Member Posts: 115
    The problem you had with the window is very common and has been addressed by VW. It is not a recall item, but when it is replaced, then the new parts have been improved. As far as the rest of your problems, that seems to be unusual. I've had my Jetta TDI for almost 2 years and the window problem is the only problem I've had. I get anywhere between 46-51 MPG. I currently have about 28,000 miles on the car. I feel confident it will go 250,000 strong.
  • tdinewbee1tdinewbee1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks,

New guy here. Strongly condsidering new purchase of 4dr Golf TDI.

Test drove auto trans model. Sensed it had good low end and mid range torque but not so confident about its "Passing" power. Would it be safe on an auto trans model to drop it to the next position down from "Drive" (3?)-- at 55 or 60 mph, for a few seconds to build up RPM -- in order to enhance passing capability? I had a small pickup truck (manual) and dropping from 5th to 4th (briefly) was the recommended method of building passing speed.

Or would it just be better with this concern in mind to go with the MANUAL?

(I'm a little spoiled in the upper end performance bracket due to my old Saab 900 Turbo).

Thanks in advance!

db
    I can't speak for the automatic, but with my 5-speed, I have absolutely no need to downshift when passing on the highway. It shoots from 70->90 with ease in 5th. You have to realize that the TDI's sweet spot is the 2000->3500 RPM range. You don't wanna drop to 4th... you'll shoot out of your sweet spot.
  • ksamksam Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a Jetta TDI but would like to get the honest impression and opinion of those who own one. Have you genuinely liked the car? Would buy one again? I have read about several problems people are having but I am sure that is the case with any car. Maybe just sour grapes. I have owned Hondas for over 15 years and have had no major problems. I do like like the styling of the Jetta and have read alot of positive things about the Jetta as well. Your advice would be appreciated and valuable to me. Thank you!
    Yes, it was a 1998 Jetta TDI (200,000 miles), a 2001 Jetta TDI, & 84 Rabbit Diesel (400,000 miles) owners who convinced me to get a Golf TDI. So far I love the car, especially fuel economy.
    I'm the second owner of a Jetta TDI, bought it with 48k and now have 71,000. I've had consistent repairs since the purchase in October--standard stuff like glow plugs, window regulator, wiring harness, and now the MAF. That's the sour grapes part. I absolutely love driving it. The power is incredible. With the last repair, I tried to get VW to help as MAFs are known liabilities. No luck, since I'm the second owner and I drive a lot. If I were doing it all over again, I'd buckle down a bit and buy one brand new. Lots of incentives available right now.
  • jabildajabilda Member Posts: 47
    I own a Jetta TDI Wagon and love it. Part of my driving is city and I still average 46 MPG. The power is better than a typical 4 cyl. The shifter is great IMHO. I even love the cupholders, although they cover the radio. The backseat is the greatest disappointment so if 4 up driving is a must, make sure the backseat is for little ones only!!

For those of you interested, my dealer tells me that the next model makeover of the Jetta will make it bigger inside to address the North America market and that the next generation Passat (they're shooting for 2005) WILL include a diesel engine (FINALLY). My own impression is that 1) the technology will be better and 2) it will be a higher HP engine.

Lastly, I drove a new W-8. If I had the $38k and need for speed / German luxury, it would be in my garage. It was fast and very stable. It was like driving a 'slotcar' - it held the road very well (like it belonged there) and felt solid.
  • silverhlltdsilverhlltd Member Posts: 21
    Peek torque is at only 1900 rpm, which is exactly 53 mph with the automatic transmission in 4th gear with the torque converter locked up.

This transmission does have a lockup torque converter, doesn't it? Haven't driven one yet as I only recently discovered that VW, in their infinite wisdom, has finally decided to make the TDIs again available in California.

So the question, is it better to go back to third which would be around 2675 rpm at 55 mph, or 2920 rpm at 60 mph and go up to 77 mph which is about 3750 revs, or let the engine 'lug it', staying in 4th gear? 55 mph in 4th gear locked up is 1982 rpms; 60 mph figures out to be 2162 rpms.

Since most automatics are controlled by a computer these days, I don't think that will be of any concern to any individual owner.

With the standard transmission yes, it would be, but not if you have the automatic. The computer will decide what is best when the throttle is opened fully, and do what is needed. And in the same manner, it'll decide when the correct speed has been reached if it did 'force' the downshift, and the computer will 'order' the automatic when to upshift into 4th gear. I would guess it would be somewhere between 75 - 80 mph.

Anyone care to comment on the torque converter lockup question? Please do!

We must go with the automatic because my wife has a bad left knee.

Anyone know if the computer has a rev limiter for the motor?

And if it does, what is that limit?

<<

Test drove auto trans model. Sensed it had good low end and mid range torque but not so confident about its "Passing" power. Would it be safe on an auto trans model to drop it to the next position down from "Drive" (3?)-- at 55 or 60 mph, for a few seconds to build up RPM -- in order to enhance passing capability? I had a small pickup truck (manual) and dropping from 5th to 4th (briefly) was the recommended method of building passing speed.

Or would it just be better with this concern in mind to go with the MANUAL?

>>
    I have two TDI and one has the auto and the other has manual trans.. First I have no problem passing with either and would not expect other drivers to have trouble unless they are doing Indy 500 type driving. Second in regard to the question about shifting to third I do not recommend it. With the peak torque available at less than 2,000 rpm it is better to keep the motor in the 1500 to 3000 rpm range. I know that some gasoline motors work best when revved close to redline but the TDI different.
    In closing I want to state that I slightly prefer the auto in the TDI to the manual.
    I have a stick, so I can't comment on the auto, but TDIs love to be in the 2k-3k range, so don't downshift to get more power... you'll be shooting out of the power band.
    Greg,

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I knew you had TDIs with both transmissions, and that you drive and seemed to prefer the automatic Golf, as that is your daily driver, right? I read all of the messages trying to find all the information I could.

Can you please field that T/C question for me? Should you not understand what I am asking, please email me off-line, but having read all of your posts, I seriously doubt that!

Under mimimum throttle, at what speed does the T/C lockup once it reaches top gear or overdrive? This is assuming that it does have a lockup torque converter? My '99 E300 did not have one, and it would not get decent fuel economy on the highway mainly because it didn't have that feature which is common to most, if not all recent automatic transmission equipped vehicles. Without that T/C lockup feature, there is slippage even at highway crusing speeds on level ground, and when you hit an incline or grade, the revs will show an increase of several hundred rpm because of that slippage of the torque converter,
    and fuel is simply being waisted heating transmission fluid.

If your speedometer is correct, and I've figured it right, you should show 1900 rpm at 53 mph with the Golf, and 55 mph at 1900 rpm with the Jetta Wagon. With the Golf, at that 1900 rpm, the tach should not jump a couple of hundred revs when you accelerate from that speed slowly. The revs will rise, but only as your speed is increased, and not as a result of there not being a torque converter that is locked up. No T/C lockup will show an immediate jump of two or three hundred rpm when the throttle is increased even slightly, especially at the lower speeds. Some people can detect the T/C when it locks up as it will seem like the transmission is upshifting again, as if it had a fifth gear, and the tachometer will drop slightly. When the transmission torque converter is locked up, the vehicle will then 'feel' almost as if it has a standard transmission which has no slippage, correct?

60 mph is about 2150 rpm,
    65 mph is about 2330 rpm, and
    70 mph should be 2509 rpm.

BTW, were you the owner of a hot, or bad mopar product at one time?

Thanks again.

DHG
  • rocquerocque Member Posts: 37
    I have problems with my glows plugs, anyone else have this problem and is it expensive to fix
  • penhopperpenhopper Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my TDI Jetta in 1999 primarily for the excellent gas mileage. It ran fine for the first 24,000 miles. Since that time I have had a relay go out which disabled the car. Then two window regulators. ($350 each to repair) The alternator failed ($900 and impossible to find even in Houston Texas) Settled for a "rebuilt" alternator for $560!!!! A month later the battery exploded. It took the dealer a full week to get a replacement battery in. Now the car alarm system has gone haywire. I cannot lock my car doors. If I lock them the alarm will not disarm and I will not be able to start my engine. So my car is left unlocked at all times and I pray someone will steal it.

If you buy this car be prepared to buy ALL parts from the dealer. I cannot even get an oil filter without going through the dealer. The part numbers are often not even listed at any auto parts store.

Pretty soon you realize that you didn't save a dime on gas. I am looking to buy a Honda now. Honda parts are readily available at any auto parts store and the reliability and high resale have sold me on their product.

By the way what is a MAF? I am sure it is lurking about ready to cost me another thousand dollars.
  • jamie_5jamie_5 Member Posts: 5
    I am considering a TDI GLS Jetta as a commuter car for my 100 mile/day freeway drive to work. This is Plan A,...it looks pretty good/sporty with 17" GLI rims and suspension, a little tint on the windows and gets approx. 50 mpg. Plan B: buy a mid 90's Honda Accord for the commuter, and get a real sports car for fun and weekends. What do you think and do you like your TDI's?
  • zmanusafzmanusaf Member Posts: 12
    Hello out there, I need an opinion from people with some knowledge on this subject. Getting the Performance Muffler on a Jetta TDI, would it help the performance or hurt it? And if it does help it, would it be enough to make it worth paying the money to get it? Thanks, Roger
    Penhopper, I can only say I feel your pain. In a sinister kind of way, I'm glad it's not just me. Same things--window regulators, glow plugs, MAF, relay. VW will not help you in any way even though these are well known problems. It seems from others' replies that you either get a lemon or a trouble free car. Get the gas MAF (see previous entries). It works just as well and costs 46 clams compared to 350 from the dealer.
  • kld96kld96 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently considering a 2002 TDI. I have a 96 Trek and love it. I have read about a lot of people having quirky problems like the windows not working. I find them mostly on the 2001. Anyone know if these problems have been fix on the 2002s. Overall, I have read good reviews.
    The warranty for the 2002 is bumper to bumper for 5 years so if the window problem is not fixed on the 2002's it will be by the time the warranty ends.
  • jamie_5jamie_5 Member Posts: 5
    OK, after reading a lot of comments and reviews over the past few weeks, I am seeing that the Jetta and their owners have a real love/hate relationship. Looks are great, relatively sporty, good fuel economy and performance is common. Durability, part accessability, dealer service and reliabilty of the car is pretty poor compared to similar Honda/Toyota cars.
    WOULD YOU recommend to go buy one one to your mom/dada/grandma or best personal friend?
    Thanks.
    I like my TDI Golf
    Consumer Reports recommends the Jetta and Golf and so do I. I only recommend the TDI or 1.8T though.
    Don't buy one if you do not have a good dealer or other service provider in your area. If you do not have a basic understanding of diesel operation and service requirements or no desire to obtain the knowledge I would not recommend the TDI. The TDI does not require MORE maintenance but it does require DIFFERENT maintenance than a typical gasoline motor.
    Parts are available over the internet at much better cost than dealer. This is no different than the Nissan or Chevy I owned in the past. Regular maintenance parts such as filters and oil are available at autoparts stores.
    VW and TDI tends to attract more automotive enthusiasts than a Corolla or Accord does and they are much more critical about the cars. Some of these fanatics complain daily about items that an average owner would never have a problem with. Statistically an average VW will have more problems than a Toyota or Honda. It is a fact and not opinion. Given that fact I decided that VW TDI had more to offer than alternatives such as Accord or Camry. I get 40-50 mpg, a great interior, much more driving enjoyment, class leading safety, and average reliability.
    So I would recommend the TDI to my father but not my friend because my friend does not even take care of the car they have and is a mechanical idiot.
    Had I relied on the opionions of the complainers on the Jetta topic I would never have purchased a VW. I discussed at length the ownership experience of TDI with people who had owned them for at least 2-3 years prior to buying my TDI. Now I own two of them.
    Really good post Greg.

To what you have said above, I would add:

It does take a 'special' type of person to own and appreciate a TDI. These motors are not for your average automobile driver, and that type of person will complain about everything. And I would suspect this same individual would get 'hosed' by an dealer that they would take whatever they are driving to for service and repairs!

Pumping your own fuel is really messy, and it smells, and I can't get the smell off of my hands, and it is too noisy, etc. We have heard them all and many more other complaints before, many many times. This type of person has no place with a TDI.

My five day old Jetta Wagon TDI automatic is the best diesel I've owned, and this includes 15 others diesels including several earlier Mercedes Benz and the last MBZ brought to North America, the 1999 E300 TD (Turbodiesel) at $50K! But this 'type' of person would not be happy with even these latest fine machines, the current VW TDIs.

No matter if it were to cost exactly the same to get necessary maintances performed, they will say that it is so expensive compared to the gasoline powered vehicles.

It is my understanding that mine will blow the doors off of the standard 2.0L gasoline engine that has 120 hp. I believe that, as I jumped on mine today 'out-of-the-hole' and I couldn't believe the acceleration.

Most think the TDIs are 'slow' and lack passing ability. NOT! Although mine has only 500 miles, it feels just as strong as the 220 hp Highlander I sold to be able to buy this TDI. It is much more responsive at any highway speed up to 85 mph which is a fast as I've gone so far.

So for those of us that are in the 'know', we will enjoy these fine machines, but to all others, we will simply have to pity them, and wish them godspeed in whatever they buy.
    I would agree, only if your were using the high pressure nozzles tractor trailer drivers use (done that before, never again).

Using the "car" grade nozzles -- there's no mess involved.
    You could pump biodiesel and the only smell on your hands would be the odor of renewable fuel and energy independence. ;)
    Wish I can get Biodiesel without driving at least 6 hours
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    I am considering a VW TDI as my next car. But am waiting to see if BMW might launch a 1-series with a diesel engine for 2004. I think I would have to consider the Jetta Wagon or the Golf, as I insist on getting the German-built VWs.

I currently drive a BMW 318ti, with a supposed 138hp, but I think it needs a tune because it is not even spunky. The much heavier Jetta TDI can launch and run circles around my 318.

My first car was a 84 Rabbit Diesel, and that was a great car, until it met a quick death to a F-150.

Enjoyed reading this post and I look forward to following up again soon.
    The Golf's are assembled in Brazil (at least that's what my window sticker says).

The Mini Cooper is expected to get a diesel also....supplied by Toyota.
  • weauxdweauxd Member Posts: 1
    Is there a company that makes an upgraded chip for the '02 TDI Jetta? I found where there are chips for the Jetta 3, but how about the Jetta 4?
    Thanx for any help.
    Upsolute

www.upsolute.com
    Upsolute chips are AWESOME. It's like driving a completely different car. A stock TDI is quick enough, but a chipped TDI is very quick and has a real nice fat torque/HP curve. :)
    how's it smoking with the biodiesel?
  • option001option001 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a question. I called my dealer and he tells me to change the timing belt at 60,000 miles on my 2000 Jetta TDI. It takes 2.4 hours per one dealership and 1.5 days per another. Does anyone know how long this should take?? One dealer says $700 another says $250. The more expensive dealer says it takes a lot longer on a manual Jetta TDI. I appreciate any responses. Thanks!
    If one runs a high percentage of bio (I run pure bio), it's nearly impossible to create smoke. I have an UPsolute chip, and went for a rare evening drive last night. Leaving a convenience store, I intentionally waited for a car to approach before taking off into the road, going full-bore to 50 MPH or so. No smoke. None.

It's really too bad. Smoke used to be a great tailgater discouragement. ;)
    Too bad for me, apartment living doesn't allow me to purchase 55 gallon drums from World Energy.

Did you finally get a pump that won't cause you to leave a mess on the floor? To your wife's grin...
  • jbennettjjbennettj Member Posts: 2
    What exactly is biodiesel? Any idea how I can found out where to get it?
    try this site....

www.biodiesel.org
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    I bought an '02 Jetta TDI in February, and am very pleased with the vehicle. The only area I am disappointed with is the AC. It seems to take a long time to cool the car, especially when the mid-day sun is shining on it (evening AC on a humid night seems to work better).

Yesterday, I left the grocery store in the hot sun and began the 12 mile drive home. It took nearly 10 miles of highway driving to begin feeling comfortable.

Is this a function of the environmentally friendly refrigerants (are they less efficient than the older ozone eating chemicals)? Is the black dashboard getting too hot in the sun, and then taking energy to cool down before the car can cool down (the air coming out the vents does not feel 'cold' to me)?

I am nearly due for my first oil change, and will ask them to check the refrigerant level at the same time. I am grateful for any other suggestions or tips! This is my first car with AC, and I expected a little more from it.
    Mine works fine.

Though you have noticed not much air comes out of the outer vents. Just aim one of the center vents towards you.

Are you using the AC on recirculation or vent mode?