Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• hvyhvy Member Posts: 8
    i own a 04 golf (4dr)tdi vehicle has been great. i have close to 8ooo mile on it an get 48-51mph. i believe the golf is a better value as i looked at both
  • fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    Last I heard all VWs that didn't come from Germany came from Mexico, not Brazil. Did this change?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Passat = Emden Germany
    Jetta Wagon = Wolfsburg Germany
    Golf and GTI = Curitaba Brazil
    Jetta Sedan, New Beetle Sedan and Convertible = Puebla Mexico
  • deaner14deaner14 Member Posts: 40
    With fuel prices fluctuating as much as they do these days I thought some might benefit from this web site. It's a great way to see how you fare between neighboring cities, states or countries. I actually love to watch how the Canadian government changes the rates twice a week.... anyway, enjoy the comparisons.

It's too bad you can't get one that shows diesel.

http://www.texasgasprices.com/retail_price_chart.asp
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    www.flyingj.com has a daily updated price list of all their stations. FlyingJ generally has some of the best prices around, so those numbers would likely be on the low end for wherever.
  • temmaytemmay Member Posts: 1
    Dealers in cinnati Ohio have none. Does any dealer have :?
    I'd be surprised if there are any still available. Two weeks ago my local dealer got their last two that were not pre-ordered by a customer and they were gone almost immediately. You can do a search on www.vw.com for dealers and then search their online inventory. It's not 100% accurate and will show vehicles in stock that are already sold (preordered) but it might get you somewhere.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I just returned from a week in Prince Edward Island Canada. The Jetta TDI averaged over 56MPG for the trip. I had one tank of fuel that went nearly 900 miles. (This is with approprate fillup using 'burping' lever.) There is no question that the addition of Cetane-improver contributed to this outstanding MPG.

The Jetta had the back seats flipped down and packed full of stuff and 2 adults in the front seats.

Best price for diesel I found during the trip was in Maine at $1.79/Gal (USD).

Whilst in Canada, I only purchased about 6 gallons of diesel ($20 Canadian dollars worth converted from Liters)
    Was the amount of cetane additive included in your mpg calculations? How much do you add to a tank? I add 8 ozs of PS diesel kleen.
    The amount of additive was not included in calculations. Even figuring in the 16oz of additive I used does not change the MPG very much.

Since filling with diesel is not easy to reproduce each time due to foaming, and all diesel I could find in Canada was "full service" where the attendant would have no idea how to use the purge valve, I opted to calculate the MPG over several fuel-stops. This tends to average-out any errors due to different filling-tecneques.
    Just another reminder for VW owners to shop around when buying parts. The VW dealers are so far out of reality with their prices, it's crazy.

I need to change the rear brake pads on my Jetta for the first time (85k miles, fronts are still 50%), and have decided to change the rotors as well. I called two dealers for prices as I thought I would swap them last weekend. Both wanted $275 plus tax (I'm assuming list price??). This is just parts, keep in mind.

I went to www.vwparts.com and purchased the exact same OEM parts for $136 delivered. The only downside is I don't get to stand around in the smelly parts department of my nearest dealer and beg someone to sell me some parts. If VW dealers had a clue, they might actually sell some cars here!
  • oldboyoldboy Member Posts: 59
    Just came across your post today, so I don't know if you have found a Passat TDI yet. There are still a few around if you look for them. I checked vw.com for dealers in your area, and I found the following:
         Northgate VW, Cincinnatti - GLS TDI sedan, silver;
         Century VW, Loveland - GLS TDI sedan, blue silver;
         White-Allen VW, Dayton - GLS TDI wagon (no color shown).

I suggest you call the dealers to see if these cars are still available.
  • terry1terry1 Member Posts: 2
    I am new and have been considering a jetta diesel for a while. I love the mpg, comfort and style of the jetta. (reliability is a concern)However, at $23,460 for a loaded jetta and $13,600 for a toyota corolla stick that gets 41 mpg and has excellent reliability, I am torn over the extra $10,000. Is it worth it? Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    If your time and mileage horizon is 8.5 years (average age of the passenger car fleet) and 12-15k per year or 102,000-127,500 miles, the answer is absolutely not! If your time and mileage horizon is 12 years and beyond and beyond 250,000 miles then yes! I plan to run mine past 12 years and 500k -1M miles.
  • vincentwangvincentwang Member Posts: 42
    I will never compare Jetta with Corolla! Jetta have much better steering and driving feedback, much stronger chassis and body, much better interior design....... Please never compare it with corolla.

I'm same with you, planning to get a 05 Jetta TDI Wagon. Believe me, this is a much better car than corolla! It'll worth the money!
    Economics aside, the VW Jetta TDI is truly an autobahn runner. I probably shouldn't say this but it is a continuing source of amazement to me to run say like 245 miles R/T in 3 hrs and under and still get 45-49 or average of 47 mpg with three persons in the vehicle, AC going full out and the trunk stuffed !! Altitude: zero to 6550 and 6550 to zero!
  • fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    You're really asking the wrong bunch of people. This is bascially a VW TDI fanatic forum so they won't say anything bad about their cars.

What you need to do is drive them both and see if you lean towards one or the other. However, reliability is not in VW's favor at the moment. Both JD Power and Consumer Reports don't offer good news. All European brands have gone downhill in quality in the past couple of years. It's an alarming trend.

Good luck.
    No! I don't think that way at all. While it is a pipe dream of mine to have absolute reliability etc etc in ANY vehicle, let alone a VW, my hope is that at some critical level, VW OEM's are actually using forums like these to really glean what their customers are saying and take appropriate action.

Another for example, I have said quite openly that I would not have gotten a VW Jetta/Beetle/Golf if it were not for the fact a TDI option were offered. I also said I was completely underwhelmed by the engine offerings 2.0 and 1.8T.
    You can speak for yourself, don't include me in your views.
    Asking TDI owners their experiences makes sense. I've owned several TDI including Golf and Jetta. I've had window regulators fail in my first Golf, window trim replaced in my first Golf, radio replaced in my 04 Jetta due to poor AM reception, and a window washer nozzle that required adjustment and that is about it.
    If I had a lot of problems I would report them. TDI is a fantastic vehicle. Downside is that there are some really pathetic VW dealers and the TDI requires more knowledge to properly maintain even if you are not doing the maintenance. It really is important to understand what maint. is required and what parts satisfy those requirements. Otherwise you are likely to overspend on maint. or have a problem due to lack of maint..
  • vzh9p7vzh9p7 Member Posts: 24
    My 2003 Jetta TDI now has 45,000 miles on it, and it is, without doubt, the highest quality vehicle I've ever owned. And yes, now I'm a fanatic too, whereas before I merely owned cars to get me from point A to B, I now "drive" this car.....
    I am glad to hear that VW got another VE Jetta TDI right besides my own! :) I have got 33,000 miles and it has been flawless.
  • frogpondfrogpond Member Posts: 17
    I have an '03 TDi Golf. Whenever I am going slow say over a speedbump or some other bump I can hear a creaking coming from the rear suspension. At least I think its the suspension, or is it?? Can anyone tell me what it is and what needs to be fixed? Its driving me nuts! Funny thing is I was in an '04 Jetta test driving it with someone else and I noticed the same thing!!
  • tom21769tom21769 Member Posts: 63
    Has anyone tried to get the MFA with trip computer, outside temp, etc., installed on a Jetta TDI? Apparently this feature is only offered on the GLI sedans.
    I don't understand why VW would not make it available to TDI buyers to help monitor fuel consumption.

I wonder if it's just a matter of hooking up the specialized control stalk shown in the owner's manual, or if you have to replace the entire instrument cluster.
  • terry1terry1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the good advice. I waited too long, though. The beautiful black, leather, auto, fully loaded jetta tdi I had been interested in was sold the salesman told me "3 times over" in the last week. At full msrp also. I guess I'll have to wait for an '05. Does anyone know anything about the "new" design?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Take a trip to Las Vegas and check those dealers. They show 7 right now at Findlay VW. You may hit the jackpot and drive off with a free VW.
    Has anyone tried to get the MFA with trip computer, outside temp, etc., installed on a Jetta TDI?

It's not all that difficult. Requires a new qauge cluster, a control stalk (to access menus), and some wiring. Figure about $500 for parts if you're doing it yourself. Need access to VAG-COM to program display. Email me in my profile and I'll get you some links to how to do this.
    Thanks.
    Your email is coming up "private", maybe you could post
    those links/part nos. here?

I'm fairly handy with tools but don't like working on finicky little electrical stuff.
    Should a dealership be willing to do this? How much labor time?

By the way, I have the TDI wagon, manual tranny. Don't know if that makes a difference in ordering.
    No idea how my email got marked private....sorry. It's fixed.

I avoid the dealers like the plague. I wouldn't let them touch it and I doubt they'd do this modification. The price I gave you was based on getting the MFA from a source that imports them from Europe. The dealer would likely want $1,000 just for the parts. Model shouldn't matter, I've seen MFA's added to wagons, golfs, etc.
  • jeniponyjenipony Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys, so I am a girl and I need some ideas. My wonderful Jetta has 123,000 miles on her, we spend alot of time together. However, she started to have what I call a "flat spot" around 2800 RPMs maybe 6 months ago, nothing very definitive. Now I can hardly merge on the interstate, when I drop down a gear (manual 5 speed), I get high RPMs and no power, and 5th gives enough umpf only if I am going over 40 MPH.
    It has been in the shop, an independent foreign car repair, they own several generations of VW diesels, for over a week and I am renting a horrid Chevy Malibu. Can anyone help me help the guys to diagnose the problem? We are trying to avoid replacing the turbo.

HELP!
  • hawkcaymanhawkcayman Member Posts: 1
    Living way up north, do I have to worry about a tdi starting in cold weather? I am thinking about buying a tdi
    Have they checked the intake for blockage? It's a known issue that these can gunk up and restrict performance if certain preventative measures aren't taken. Secondly, they should be able to test the MAF to determine if it's operating properly. Either can cause the problem you're experiencing.

The Turbo really should not be the problem, however they seem to be popular replacements by shops that have less than stellar diagnostic skills.

Where are you located? I or someone here might be able to recommend a reputable shop or local that can assist. Also, if you email me I can get you a list of TDI owners and known repair facilities. I can't post it here as the link will be deleted by the mods.
    Do not worry. I am in Vermont and the TDI starts BETTER than many gassers even at -40F.

There are 2 'secrets'
    1) ALWAYS!! Use a diesel fuel additive year round. Use anti-gell in the winter and a lube-cetane booster in the summer.
    2) Install a tdi heater ( http://www.tdiheater.com ) and have it plugged into a timer anytime below 0F

NOTE: The TDI will start just fine without the heater, but the engine is so durn efficent, you will not get any heat unless you drive at least 10 miles.

The electric seat heaters are a MUST for cold-winter running with the TDI.
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    How much cetane booster should I add to a fully 'burped' tank of fuel? The bottle says 32 oz. to 100 gallons of fuel, but that it may also be added to 50 gallons for better performance. I calculated it out to 5.5 oz or 150 ml. I have not noticed much difference in economy or power (I run B20 biodiesel).
    Many of the commercial diesel additives are based on biodiesel with some lube and other stuff mixed in. Many folks have reported that running a tank of BD once in a while will actually CLEAN the intake manifold. (which is notorious for getting plugged with grunge.)

I measure the additive using an 8oz paper cup. I first shape the cup to create a 'spout' on it so it will pour into the tank opening easilly. I then fill it about 2/3s full with additive. This way, I can toss the smelly cup when I am done measuring. (no muss - no fuss)

A bag of 200 8oz paper cups is inexpensive and may last the life of your TDI. I keep about 5 cups with the additive container in the trunk inside a 'tupperware-like' sealed container. This stores easilly behind the webbing on the right side of the trunk space. The rest of the cups store easilly along side the spare tire.

As for the benifets of using a cetane booster. I notice less smoke when starting a cold engine and about 1-2 better MPG.
  • jeniponyjenipony Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, thanks for the suggestions. They have checked everything, MAF included which was the first thing they checked. I am still driving the Malibu. Amazing how this thing goes through unleaded regular!

We are down to the injectors and the turbo. I am NOT amused. Guess all the $$ I saved on the diesel will go into a new turbo? Am not sure I would go for another VW. This one had a intermittent sensor problem which only happened in very dangerous situations: ie: about 20 feet into a tunnel on the PA Turnpike (no cell coverage, lots of semis trying to get into the other lane).....I did get it started again. It was still under warranty, threw no codes when they checked it out. The second time she quit, I was again on the PA turnpike, only this time on a two-lane bridge over a 200 ft. drop to a small river. Watching the semis try to avoid me was horrendous. I got out and walked to the other side of the bridge to wait for the arrow truck and the tow. That time my friends, the indies, found the sensor and replaced it. Now this.....not what I call reliable transportation.

I love the handling, loved the power, but have to find something made better. Does it exist under $50K?
    I'm still not buying that these guys know what they're doing. It really doesn't sound like a turbo to me just based on the symptoms. And if they were good at diagnosis they wouldn't be "thinking" it was the injectors because that can be diagnosed easily as well. How did they test the MAF? Did they actually physically inspect the intake?

Have you replaced a MAF in the past? If not, the fact that you've gone 120k miles without a MAF replacement is phenomenal if not borderline miraculous. Your symptoms are almost identical to every other TDI that needs a MAF, although 60-70k miles is where most folks notice the loss of power and by 100k miles the power loss is very obvious, much like yours. It's very simple to test if they have the VAGCOM software, you simply start the car, go to engine test block 003 and rev a warm motor to about 2500-3000rpms (coincidentally where your power loss begins!!). The car should be reporting an actual of 800mg/stroke, if it's not then your MAF is bad. Takes five minutes to test. Mine went south around 70k miles and was only getting about 650mg/stroke and the power loss not extremely noticeable, but I did have a bit of a flat spot about 2500rpms. I would guess yours is probably around 500mg/stroke, maybe worse. Make sure this is being tested PROPERLY (looking at the MAF and saying it looks good doesn't do squat, nor does just hooking up a micrometer to it).

I would put money down that if you replace your turbo, you'll still have the same problems.
  • jubileerunjubileerun Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone in this forum ever converted a gasoline Jetta or Passat to a TDI? I am looking for a TDI wagon, and they almost do not exist. But there are many gasoline Passat and Jetta wagons in existence. Is this engine swap an easy proposition or a herculean feat?
  • vzh9p7vzh9p7 Member Posts: 24
    Wow. I guess I'd never have thought of that; I'd bet you'd need, besides a new engine, perhaps a different tranny and tank as well. That seems like a lot of very expensive work. You'd prolly be better off actually shipping a TDI from Germany....

Also, others were asking about centane boosters. In the winter, I put about 3 oz in per tank, and I actually use these big syringes that are made for feeding calfs or something; I get them at the local farm supply, and it's an easy, no mess way to measure and "inject" it into the tank when refilling.
    I've seen it done, although it was an even bigger project (euro spec V6 TDI into a Passat AWD). You'll have more invested in the swap than buying a car for the very high price they're selling for. Expand your search to nationwide, take a flight, pickup car. It will be cheaper and you'll have warranty if something breaks. Swapping stuff and mixing VIN#'s will scare off most mechanics and reduce your resale value drastically.

Can't be that hard to find, there was a new Passat TDI at a local dealer a few weeks back. Had a very small window to purchase, but it was all mine for five minutes if I would have wanted it.
  • lewshellewshel Member Posts: 37
    Go on the tdi club website. I have more creaks in humid weather from the front shocks and brake pads. I find the sounds annoying but not threatening.
  • frogpond_1frogpond_1 Member Posts: 3
    As mentioned before I have an '03 Golf TDi. For '04 they offered a few new colors, Monsoon system standard in GLS, 100hp diesal and from what I hear a slightly modified suspention. Anyone have experience with the "old" vs. new engine and suspension?
  • liguor60liguor60 Member Posts: 9
    Hi all..
    I apologize in advance if anyone has addressed this, but I'm simply curious. Is anyone currently using biodiesel as their fuel source for the VW TDI series? If so, did you have to make any modifications to your vehicle? I've been hearing a lot about it lately and I'd be interested to know who's using it, and if they're using B100 biodiesel...or a lower mix.

Thank you.
    liguor60
  • wvfgoldenwvfgolden Member Posts: 1
    It's your Mass Flow Sensor. My wife is on her third one. However, I still love her Jetta and am planning on a Golf soon, myself.
    You do not have to modify your VW TDI to use bd.
    However, VW is leery of owners using it. So they might void your warranty on parts with any problems directly attributable to biodiesel. Once there is more standardization of the bd formulas, maybe VW will lighten up.

Among those who do use it (and I probably would if it were sold nearby), B20 seems to be a popular blend. Try tdiclub.com for more info.
  • rhsrhs Member Posts: 10
    Testing system. Have not seen any new messages since 7/16/04. Is this correct?
  • madijomadijo Member Posts: 30
    I seem to recall from something I read a long time ago that if a Manufactuer required you to use a certin product, this case a specific oil only availiable from them, or they would void your warranty, that they had to give you the product for free. Does anyone else remember this? I just paid $60 for my first oil change.
    This has been discussed at length in other VW fora.

You are thinking of the "MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT" as seen here
    http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

HOWEVER, VW is not specifying an oil that only they supply. Instead, VW is specifying a specific CRITERIA that the oil must meet.

In fact, VW DOES NOT MANUFACTURE OIL AT ALL. VW simply IMPORTS a CASTROL oil that meets the VW505.01 spec.

If you do some more research on the internet, you will find there is a pretty exhaustive list of what brands of oil meet the VW 505.01 specification.

With that said, $60USD for the 5K mile service is not unreasonable. If you look at your invoice and compare the prices of the individual VW part numbers to what you find on http://www.impexfap.com/ you can determine if you dealer is overcharging you or not.

I have done this on several occasions and have found that my dealer is within 5% of the prices found on http://www.impexfap.com/
    Additionaly, I can bring in my own choice of oil (that meets the spec) and they are happy to use that instead of the CASTROL brand they import.
  • vinvin Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 tdi jetta with 20k. It started losing coolant last week had to add a quart. there are no visable leaks . the dealer has had the car for three days and can't find the problem has any one else had this happen?
  • vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    Checking. Does the tensioner need to be replaced (or would it be wise to) when the timing belt is replaced. Also, is there anyway to set the timing without the plugging into the data port?
    There are a number of things that are suggested when the timing belt is changed. Especially now that the newer-style belt's change frequency is so much longer than the older style. (you did not say what YEAR your VW is)

*)Timing belt (obviously)
    *)New stretch-bolts on engine mount (A MUST!)
    *)waterpump (recommended)
    *)Tensioner pully with new bearing (recommended)
    *)A tech. that KNOWS what they are doing (Recommended)

Not replacing some of the items to save a buck may be unwise. Consider what may happen if the waterpump is NOT changed but does not survive to the NEXT timing-belt change. With luck,you will be paying for the same labor and a timing belt all over again. Without luck, you may be paying for an engine. (The same can be said for a tensionor bearing that is not changed.)

There are some folks that re-used the special stretch-bolts on the engine-mount that must be removed to replace the belt. Some have reported that the re-used bolts came loose and the engine almost fell out the bottom of the car while driving!

There is no question that changing a timing belt is an expensive propasition. Since it is a PLANNED maintenance item, there are ways to make it less painfull to the pocketbook besides skimping on the important stuff.

*)Save up the $$ ahead of time over a year or so.
    *)Get in touch with a fellow TDIer that can help you do it for less.
    ...etc

BTW, If done properly, no timing changes are needed. Certainly, it does not hurt to check the timing before and after the job.