Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    I am using recirc whenever it is very hot. I am doing this because the manual says this will provide max efficiency. I also have both center vents aimed directly at me, one low (chest) and one higher (face).
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Try the AC on regular vent mode. Recirc does by what the name implies. Recirculates the interior (which is hot, very hot in a parked car), and has to be cooled down by the refrigerant. The interior air will be hotter than ambient car. Try the AC on the normal mode, to see if that helps.

What usually works best for me is the first couple minutes, if you have a sunroof, tilt it up (vent mode) for a few minutes while the AC is on (hot air gotta go somewhere....might as well have it go out of the car).

Use a sunshade for the windshield when the car is parked.
    If that doesn't work, then it's time for the dealership
  • twig93twig93 Member Posts: 38
    You mention having a black dashboard. I would assume then that your interior is black. This will take so much longer to cool down than in a car with a tan or gray interior. I have black leather in my 02 Jetta TDI and yesterday with temps in the 100's, I nearly burned my legs on the seats and yes, it took almost my whole trip of 10 miles to cool it down. I had to sit with my legs up off the seats and nevermind trying to hold the wheel or rest on the armrest. With a closed up car, every nook and cranny heats up and when it is black it heats up even more. This will take a long time to cool down. Personally, I have never thought VW AC was fantastic.....my Fords were quicker. If you are still concerned have the dealer check for a leak.....I had a 00 Jetta that after being a year old the AC leaked over the winter and I had no AC at all.....they could not find the leak, filled it and it worked as it always had until I traded the car in a year later.
    It still gets hot with a beige interior.

One of my gripes is the ventilation ducting...the outside vents barely get air compared to the center vents.
  • natescapenatescape Member Posts: 176
    Biodiesel is basically vegetable oil (usually soybean in the US) that has had the glycerine removed. It's good for the car, good for the environment, good for the economy, and good for national energy independence. I'm a big fan, and put up a site about it here - http://www.biodieselnow.com . ;)

Tan, I ended up buying a short garden hose and chopping it off at 3'. I now just back the car up to the tank and pump away. Wahoo. I love the smell of renewable fuel in the morning. Heh.

Wish I can do it (b100 55 gallon drums)...but I don't think my landlord at my apartment would like it.

Probably when I get my next raise, I'll head up to Chelsea and fill my car up with the B20 and bring home some 5 gallon cans of B100 with me.

It would be an interesting VW meet....first with the gassers, then head over to World Energy to fill up and buy from B100. Might want to start thinking about it some time....gather the various forums on biodiesel and people who wish they can get biodiesel, and do a "group" buy. I'm sure World Energy would like that if enough people got involved.
    World Energy will sell b100 for ~$1.88/gallon if one buys 500 gallons at a time. A bunch of enthusiasts in CT did just that. Formed a co-op, got 500+ gallons shipped to one place, then everyone took theirs. :)
    Damn that's a good price, compared the usual $2.50 per gallon plus freight.

Head over to the BMW 2001 320iD (Diesel) thread. I need some help convincing Mr. Shiftright that Diesels makes sense for a lot of people.
  • zalalyzalaly Member Posts: 4
    i am considering to buy a new jetta .i do not know which model and which engine to choose, i think i like the GLS but then what engine to choose. are there any overt advantages or disadvantages to any . the TDI has impressively low mileage ,shall i go for it? or go with the 1.8 t? can you please help me.
    thanks
    If you drive a lot, get the TDI and save money. If you don't drive much, or drive with a lead foot, get the 1.8T. They're both great engines. It just depends on what your priorities are.

Of course, if you get the TDI, you can run it on biodiesel. It's clean, renewable, domestically produced, and great for the car (y'all didn't think I'd make a post without mentioning biodiesel, did ya?). Check out http://www.biodieselnow.com for more info.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A journalist is looking to interview CEOs/CFOs/CIOs or other c-level business-types who drive the BMW X5 or the Volkswagen Beetle. Please direct all responses, including daytime contact information, to me at jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 15th 5:00 p.m. Eastern.

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have a 2002 1.8T Jetta, Cool White with black leather interior. It cools a LOT quicker than my 2001 Protege would (of course, it was black with black interior). Even with the black interior, it cools right down. I open the sunroof to vent position with the shade still closed, then open the back windows and put the AC on fresh air. After about 5-10mins., I close everything and put the AC on recirc. ONLY use recirc with everything closed and when it's cool, or it will spread around the hot air in the car.

I had a loaner 2002 Protege that was green with beige interior. The AC still sucked compared to my Jetta's.
  • jbennettjjbennettj Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Jetta TDI wagon in Miami. Every day is hot and humid, even at 7:00am. I have found that the a/c cools down quite fast and gets very cold, even in the afternoon. The a/c is much better than in my Volvo S70 and every Honda I have ever owned.

Try using the handy "all windows down" feature with your key before getting in the car. It helps vent the hot air more quickly.
  • emc5emc5 Member Posts: 1
    I recently traded my 2001 VW Passat for a 2002 VW Golf TDI...I am interested to learn more about diesels (not techie stuff - just what I might expect as far as different types of noises, future expenses, signs of problems, etc.) Please guide me to web sites or information where I can learn more...This is my first experience with a diesel car...Thx. emc80306@yahoo.com
  • m9431m9431 Member Posts: 38
    I just took delivery of a '02 Golf GLS TDi at a great price. So far, I love it! Can't believe how much torque it has... definately feels more powerful than I would have expected. Built quality and features are superb. Never had a diesel before but thought that my 100 mile/day commute warrants one. Comparing this to my 2002 Accord, I prefer the Golf--much more fun to drive. It also turns more heads than my Accord ever did.

While I have to get used to new maintenance procedures and must establish overall reliability over time, I'd have to say to anyone considering a TDi, "Go for it!" Even more so with the current special offers from VW.
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    I have been doing some unscientific research, and have found ways to maximize the AC (thanks to all of the advice from this forum and the dealer). The air is blowing out at 5oC (40oF) which is within the normal range. So, I have done a few things to help it cool the car's interior:

1. Bought a sunscreen for the windshield. This keeps out a significant amount of sun and allows the black dash to be cool enough to touch (in direct sun, it gets hot enough to deliver a burn to the skin). I figure it will also keep the AC duct work cooler, so more of the cold air reaches the interior and is not first consumed to warm the pipes.

2. I bought the side window deflectors from the VW drivergear site. This allows me to leave the windows cracked on a hot day without fearing the sudden thunderstorm and an open sunroof. Cracked windows allow some of the hotter air to escape.

3. On entering the car, use the 'all windows down feature' to allow the superheated air to be replaced by normal hot air (every bit helps). Open the sunroof to allow for more venting.

4. With windows open, run the AC on 'vent' until the inside air is about equal to the outside air temperature. Then close the windows and switch to 'recirc' until a comfortable temperature is achieved. After that, 'vent' mode will keep the interior cool and provide fresh air to breathe.

This may seem like a lot to do or an over analysis of a simple concern, but this is the first car I have owned with AC and I want to be comfortable!

BTW, this is also my first diesel and I love it. Toss away all of the old reasons not to buy a diesel car because they don't apply to the VW engine. Buy one and enjoy the savings on fuel. I get over 600 miles per tank, which means a trip to the station every 3 weeks or so. The maintenance is spelled out in the booklet and is not really that different. Plus, the sales people at the dealership gave me a wonderful orientation to the car and answered every question. They know this car and the specifics of the diesel engine.
  • yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    I am soon to become a TDi owner and would like to hear from other TDi owners out there.
    We are getting a sedan 1.9 automatic. What are your likes and dislikes? Are there any problems so far?
    Thanks.
  • railcarmanrailcarman Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this list. I've read comments off and on for a long time. I am indebted to those who have written their stories. Now it is time to tell mine.

OWNING THE CAR
    I've had my 2000 Golf GLS TDI 5 spd for just over two years and still marvel over it. I have a daily country commute of about 80 miles round trip, so when gas hit 2 bucks a gallon (here in Indiana) a couple of years ago, I started looking for a less expensive alternative to my other vehicle which was averaging 15 mpg.

HOW I FOUND A DIESEL
    I started with the EPA's web site that ranked cars in order of fuel economy. I was not looking or considering diesels, VWs, etc., at that time. The Jetta & the Golf (from 1999) were ranked #1 & #2. The Beetle was too new, and the offerings from Honda & Toyota had yet to hit the market. However, I also read the comments posted here and was amazed at the difference between those about the Jetta, versus those posted for the Golf. Needless to say your comments led me to go look for a Golf.

HOW I BECAME A GOLF GLS TDI OWNER
    I had no trouble finding diesel Jettas. My work takes afield to cities such as Cincinnati, Toledo, Chicago & everywhere in between. Golf GLS TDIs were a rare commodity here in the midwest. I was test driving one In Toledo, I thought I was going to buy, only to find out it had been sold while I was on the road. So again, I went on-line for help. Using the VW dealer web site, I was able to locate a GLS TDI in Alexandria, VA. The trip to go get it, after buying it long distance, was an adventure in itself, but that's another story. I focused on a 4 door because the 2 door did not come std with cruise control.

REPAIRS
    Thus far I've had two air bag "failures." The first was repaired under warranty, with VWoA giving me a free rental for 3 days while a new module was air freighted in from Wolfsburg. The 2nd time was probably due to the technician not connecting a wire tight enough from the first failure. That failure wasn't under warranty. I've also had two headlight failures, both with the left regular/low beam. After paying $30 for the first bulb, I found a pair of Xenons on Ebay for $15. The blue light is too cool.

HEATING/COOLING
    As for A/C issues, mine blows very cold. I have a black exterior with tan interior. I've had the rear windows "dark" tinted, while the front sides are legal. I will "vent" the car on hot days, but today with the outside temp at 88, I ran with it on the vent mode and on the first fan speed,

MPG
    I'm averaging 44.74 mpg, but that's because I have a bit of a lead foot. My favorite accessory is my radar detector. It has saved my butt innumerable times, not because I was doing 20+ over the limit, but rather because the Ohio State Patrol will pull you over if you're more than 5 MPH (except on the interstates) over the posted limit.

OVERALL
    I'm looking into the vegetable oil conversion. Thanks for the links to the biodiesel web sites, the comments about the warranty being void, etc., etc. One site that got me looking was sent to me by my daughter: www.greasecar.com I would recommend the car to anyone in a heartbeat. It is a tight (as in screwed together well), quick, very manuverable automobile, the easiest shifting car I have ever owned. The gauges are the best I've ever seen, particularly at night with the red on the blue. The Golf's trunk is large enough to hold my other "golf" stuff, including my clubs, walking cart, and bag.

Thanks again for your thoughts, comments and insights.
    Jon Hamilton & Ken Sabo captured third place this weekend in production class at the Maine Forest Rally. They would have gotten first if not for the flat tire.

But they are in first place overall in Production class.
  • gwd17gwd17 Member Posts: 13
    Hello, TDI owners, I have just joined your ranks and have a few questions. I previously owned a 2000 1.8T, great car, unfortunately I wrecked and totalled it. After reading so many positives about the TDI engine, I decided what the heck, even though I only have a 5 mile commute to work. Anyhow, since my used TDI did not come with an owner's manual (I'm working on getting one), I have a few quick questions for you guys, I would appreciate your feeback.

1) Fuses - Which fuse slots should be empty? I want to make sure the dealer did not remove any of them because of a problem.

2) Is the antenna a simple screw on/off type?? This one was completely broken off and although I think it is screw on/off, it is hard to tell because of the remaining piece in the hole.

3) Any general advice that I may not think of (I've already been told to use synthetic oil only, and to use a mid-grade diesel fuel), anything else out there?

One last thing, should there be a diesel smell at all in the car? There is a slight smell in mine, don't know if thats just the way it is or if there is something more to it than that.

Thanks much.
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    Hi gwd, congrats on the new car! I have no idea about your first two questions, but I can help you with some advice.

You have it right about the synthetic oil, the best stuff for this engine is Mobil Delvac1, but its kind of hard to find sometimes. For the fuel you would do best to look out for Amoco or Hess stations, depending on where you live. Around Mass there are no Amoco stations, so I always use Hess. You can use other brands, but they seem to not run as smoothly. The only time I ever get a diesel smell (I assume you mean exhaust) is when I am backing up with open windows and a cold engine. Even then its a faint smell.

Did you buy the car used? If so I would find out if the timing belt was replaced, and make sure to check the maintenance schedule for you car when you get the manual. It is crucial that it be replaced on time. If you have any more questions, feel free to email me. Good luck!
    1. Can't answer this one

2. Antenna is screw on type

3. Synthetic only, as 5w40 is only found in synthetic form. Delvac 1 is the best stuff out there. You can use the Mobil website to find a commericial distributor.

4. I get a slight smell during cold start ups.

oil changes are 10k
    fuel filter changes are 20k

If you still have your owner's manual from the 1.8T, the maintenance schedule for the TDI should be in there.

Timing belt, for 2002, there's a new belt and idler pulley design which extends the interval to 80k.
    Use PowerService Diesel Fuel Additive or Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive to get the car to run better on our crappy American diesel fuel. Or, depending on where you live, you might be able to drive your car on biodiesel... the best diesel fuel available in America (and it's made in America from soybean oil, so you keep your fuel dollars in the US instead of sending them abroad... it also burns cleaner).

To learn more about biodiesel, check out http://www.biodieselnow.com (moderators, that link is OK, right? If not, please just remove this paragraph).

Natescape...Burke Oil HQ is on 284 Eastern Ave.

But the pump is 4 traffic lights down from HQ towards Rte 16.
  • gwd17gwd17 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks much for the answers so far. If someone has some time to kill and would look at their fuse box to see which fuse slots are empty and report back, that would be a huge help.

I'm looking into purchasing an extended warranty, just wanted to see what some of you guys have done. First off, living in Florida, a lot of extended warranty companies don't even do business here, not sure why, but that hurts. One company, Warranty Gold, who I had with my old Jetta, quoted me a price of $1500 for a 3yr/36k mile coverage. This plan covers basically every part on the vehicle (besides routine items such as brakes, etc) and there is a zero deductible. To me, this sounds on the pricey side, but I do have a turbo diesel and it does have 52K miles already on it.

If any of you have one, I would like to hear your comments and thoughts on this. Thanks much.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Rumored to be offered in the US market with the 04 sedan redesign. Anyone hear the same?
    I read some stuff in the Jetta sedans forum about a new "PD TDI" engine coming to the US for the MKV series that will have as much power at the 1.8T of today, but get something like 40mpg. I can't wait, I will try to be the first one to get the car. :)
    Passat in 2004 with a 2.0 16v TDI engine that produces 136hp/236 lb-feet torque with available 4Motion. I'll take a wagon, please. :)

According to September's Automobile Magazine.
    which all points to the "when is the US going Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD)?"

Though the power the the 2.0L TDI motor seems to be awfully similar to the 2.5L V6 TDI motor.
  • cranecrewcranecrew Member Posts: 27
    I have a TDI New Beetle that is 24 months old with 107,000 miles on it. I am on the road all the time, 95% in the Northeast. This engine is just unbelievable. Northern Maine in January, 30 below zero, car started like it was waiting for me to turn the key. I use Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 synthetic oil. Change it every 15,000 miles. I also use a small amount of diesel fuel additive (Power Service)every tank full to remove condensation in the fuel. K&N filter also. Have only changed the belt at 65,000 miles. That's all folks!
    I'm hoping the same from my TDI living in the Pocono Mountains in PA. Though it won't get nearly as cold though
  • jsstoverjsstover Member Posts: 40
    We just bought a red 2002 Jetta GLS TDi! It is very quiet inside. I am quite impressed with it so far, but there is only 30 miles on it.
  • justdriftingjustdrifting Member Posts: 18
    Hello,

I am considering a Jetti TDI; does Upsolute make a 'performance' chip for these cars?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes
  • justdriftingjustdrifting Member Posts: 18
    Hello,

I am considering a Jetti TDI; does Upsolute make a 'performance' chip for these cars?

Thanks in advance.
  • rimaryrimary Member Posts: 1
    Hey Everybody-

I was wondering if you could help me. For the last 1.5 years I've been driving a 2000 Ford Focus. I loved my car. Cheap (both in payment and insurance), great gas mileage, cute look... But the car and I have had to part ways after a friend pinned it under the back end of a delivery truck. Needless to say I am once again in the market for a new car. I have always loved the look of the Jetta and love the idea of getting 45 miles to the gallon form the TDI. But in reading the boards I have noticed a pattern. People either love the car or they hate it. Many of the postings talk of substantial (both in expense and annoyance) problems with everything from rattles to the transmission. Now being a recent college grad, I'd love to purchase a car that will last me for many miles to come. But if it comes down to rent vs. repair bills, I'll pick rent any day. So guess I ultimately have two questions:
    1) To Jetta or not to Jetta?

and

2) 1.8 T or TDI?

Thanks ahead of time for all your help.
    I had the same choice back in November of 2001. I drove all Jetta forms, with automatic (I can't drive stick), except the VR6 (which uses too much gas for me). I picked the 1.8T, for its brute power. The only thing that bugs me about the car is that when moving in traffic sometimes, the peaky power can get annoying. You have to wait a second for the power, but it is alot.

If you want max mileage, go with the TDI. And diesel engines run forever too. For brute power, pick the 1.T engine.

I have had major rattle problems with my car, been to the dealership over 10 times, with bad customer service experiences at that. I still love the car alot though. If I had to do the same purchase over again though, I would think about it harder, but would probably choose another Jetta.
  • jsstoverjsstover Member Posts: 40
    I would recommend any jetta to you. I have had both the vr6 and now the tdi. The GLX was nice with its leather and extra goodies, but I have since gotten married and my priorities have changed (namely, have to buy shoes and Longaberger baskets). We were also leasing it. We purchased our new GLS TDI.

We optioned it with the cold weather, sunroof, monsoon, and auto. It is a much more smooth, quiet and comfortable driving car that the GLX VR6 was. If you go with the tdi, make sure diesel is readily available in your area.

Good luck.
    I've had my Golf TDI for 6 months now (fresh from college also)...no problems whatsoever.

My co-worker has his Jetta TDI for 1.5 years, and no problems yet.

Okay there is a rattle at idle, but goes away when you drive it (Motor Trend verified it for me in their Hybrid car test recently).

I drive a 5-speed, and found no problems merging. Driving a manual TDI takes getting some used to.

Get the leather. It's worth every penny over the Velour interior. THe velour is nice, but it is a lint magnet, so maintaining it can be a pain sometimes.
  • m9431m9431 Member Posts: 38
    My Golf TDi 5-spd has 5k miles and works great... the engine amazes me with excellent power and smoothness. It's quiet, too. Seems that the TDi models have extra sound deadening material, and the engine spins at lower RPMs (approx. 2000 at 60 MPH). No need to reve higher than 3500. I drive a long daily commute and so far am pleased. Handles well (Borbet wheels and RE950 directional tires)... mileage is great; starts up well. No problems in recommending a TDi!
  • djwudjwu Member Posts: 4
    I read that in the next couple years Chrysler is going to test new diesels in the US. They won't say which model though. Read it from caranddriver.com

dw
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Chipped my TDI Golf automatic with a Wett chip and wow is it great.
    Here at Edmunds, a columnist drove (and loved) a diesel PT Cruiser. Said it was a blast.
    seriously? wow, can you say what the engine specs are? how does it compare to the Jetta TDI?
    The Wall Street Journal reports that diesels are being given a look at in California (oct. 24th, 2002 - front page). I think if diesels are accepted in CA, then the other states will follow too b/c California has strict environmental regulations. The diesels are obviously the clean diesel engines like the VW TDI. We'll see many other companies follow through (ie, news of Mercedes and Chryslers and diesels). It's a really good article; unfortunately, the WSJ article online isn't free. I get the paper.

-dw-
    The guy that's reconsidering diesel is Dr. Alan Lloyd of the California Air Resources Board. He thinks that diesels can play a part in reducing the global warming. It's significant b/c it's a change of perspective towards fighting pollution. CARB is important b/c they affected the EPA policies.

Diesels are the "greener option" b/c they don't give out as much greenhouse gas as gas engines. Diesel isn't as clean, causing more smog. However, a new generation of diesels developed for Europeans will reduce the smog effect within 5 years.

The EPA tested the new version of diesel by Toyota for future sale in Europe. The engine already meets new antismog standards for 2004-2007 in the US. New tests on diesels cars and SUVs are expected. B/c of the growing pressure for more fuel efficient vehicles, diesel is the most tangible alternative. Battery powered isn't feasible enough and fuel cell is 20 years off. An obstacle is the publc perception of diesel.

A European BMW diesel 3-Series goes from 50-75 mph in 7.5 sec, compared to 9.2 sec. gas engine. New technology is being worked on to meet pollution regulations in the US for diesels (soot) such as catalysts and soot trap.
  • sdpdevelopersdpdeveloper Member Posts: 8
    I filled my tank in my 2001 Beetle for the first time. I ran it 727.7 miles and filled it with 13 gallons. That is 55.9 mpg! I think I will love my Beetle!

Blessings,
    Ed
  • furrydog1furrydog1 Member Posts: 35
    I am seriously considering a TDI Golf but my one hesitation is cargo room: specifically the ability to carry my mountain bike inside the vehicle. If that isn't feasible then I'd like to hear from any TDI Golf owners out there that have a roof rack and how it affects MPG; wind noise, and the ability to still drive 85 MPH down the interstate on a windy day. Thanks for the help.