Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• mikiemechanic7mikiemechanic7 Member Posts: 1
    I bought My first new car. 05 Jetta GLS TDI last Jan. And I lucked out. I went to the dealership one day after new years eve. The dealership could not get hold of My payoff info due to everyone being closed. So the dealership assumed that they would ask me also what my credit score was. And not to run My credit untill the next day. I lucked out. I was offered 5.7% and I signed my contract and left with My new VW. Whell. The next day. VW ran My credit and they told Me I had to come in to sign an new contract for 12.9%!!!! HA,HA I said to late. I signed an legal contract. And to eat the cost. The car salesman laughed at me and said because I had old bad credit with my fair credit score. He did not run My credit because the dealership can usually predit what percent is offered. Also. They did not run my credit because it was an busy day and they did not want me to leave!!!!
  • dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    Sounds like a bad MAF.
  • dclmeisterdclmeister Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a mechanic in the Katy / Houston Area to maintain my 2000 Jetta TDI. I have been using the local dealer with OK results, but I would like to find someone that will take the time and effort to maintain my vehicle for the long-term. Of course I am also looking for someone who will perform the services at a reasonable price. Please let me have your ideas!!
  • grayghost531grayghost531 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any information on which oil (Castrol 5-40 VW 505.01 or the Motul 5-40 Which also meets VW Specs.) would be the best for longevity in the 05 Jetta Diesel. I can get the Castrol at a dealer in Tampa for $6.25 a quart wheras it is $11.75 a quart here in Lakeland at our dealership and the Motul is $5.75 a quart mail order which with shipping makes them about the same price

Thanks
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I just bought a Passat Wagon GLS TDI from a dealer in Portland Oregon. My wife liked the Passat better than the Jetta. She bought it for my birthday today. we pick it up in about a week for a little vacation shake down trip. They sold it to us under invoice which was where I wanted to be. Leather with wood and 17" wheels. I'm excited to test it out.
  • wrightg4wrightg4 Member Posts: 1
    I've just purchased a Passat TDI and am looking for a source for 505.01 spec oil at a reasonable price. Where in the Tampa Bay area do you find it, and what is the mail order source you have used?
  • grayghost531grayghost531 Member Posts: 3
    This is one link to the Motul motor oil http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/ltbmotorsport/mooemspoi.html
    http://www.dieselgeek.com/golf_iv_main.htm
    Also the dealership I found the Castrol at is the Brand new VW dealership in Brandon Florida so far I like them better than the Lakeland dealership
    http://www.dieselgeek.com/a4steelplate.php

I hope this is what you need
    If I run BP ECD-1 in my new 2005 Passat would you recommend any additives for the fuel? That is supposed to be less than 15 PPM sulfur.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    FWIW, I don't run additives when I'm running the BP Supreme. I don't know the specifics of the ECD-1, but it's probably a similar or better premium fuel. I keep a bottle of white Power Service (wally world, $4.44) in the trunk for when I'm buying unknown fuel.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I am not familer with BP ECD-1. What is the cetane rating of it?
    BP ECD-1 is ULSD with less than 15 PPM Sulfur. According to BP it has a cetane rating of 54 in the West Coast blend. East of the Rockies it is only 45 Cetane rating. That product is called ECD and it has a slightly higher sulfur content.

http://www.ecdiesel.com/about/product.asp
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Yeah, I was going to say it was the precurser of the new 2006 standard fuel.
  • 02golftdi02golftdi Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering how you made out with the MAF diagnosis. What did it cost to get fixed?

My Golf TDI started acting up yesterday (just passes 88,000 miles), first warmer day of the year. Problem seems very similar to yours in that the car does not want to accelerate. Engine runs smooth, but as I was going 85 mph it did not want to quickly accelerate to pass. Later on I noticed it was hard to get it up to speed on some mountains. Just seems like it doesn't have the power past 2000 RPM's. Engine is not running hot either.

Thanks.
    Sure sounds like a MAF, or a clogged intake. But if you keep you've kept your foot into it all along, that's not as likely. You could disconnect the MAF and see if it feels better, although it sounds more like yours isn't real bad. You can pickup a MAF most anywhere these days for cheap, and it only takes a few minutes to swap. I believe the VW extended warranty on those was only good through 70k miles.
  • glenspey1glenspey1 Member Posts: 5
    Hey everyone.
    Got my 2004 Jetta TDI in June and love everything about but one thing, and it's a BIG thing. Black greasy soot all over the garage floor. I mean lots of it too. VW Service says it's normal but other owners I've talked to have no problems at all. They were surpised as a matter of fact.

What do you all have to say? Is this normal or do I have a major problem both with the car and my dealership? Thanks
    I assume the soot is accumulating under your exhaust? If not, where?

Have you tried switching fuels? You might be getting some extra greasy stuff. I get a small puff of smoke on a cold start if I'm running trusted #2 diesel. Doesn't leave any soot in the garage though. If i run premium diesel, it never smokes.

Can you get this to smoke if you're hard on the throttle? I would think if it's bad enough to leave soot on the garage floor you'd see some smoke in your rear-view.
    Thanks for the quick answer back. Yes, it's under the exhaust and yes, there's smoke when hard on it, but I thought that was more or less normal. I've switched brands of fuel but can only find one grade around here. But as far as you know the soot is not normal, correct?
    Well, it may be normal for your fuel. I've gotten some poor quality fuel before that left a noticeable smoke screen behind me when I get on the throttle hard. Those fuels also provide less power and economy in my experience. I guess if there are other owners burning the same fuel in your area and they don't have the soot problem, it might be something with your car.

A lot of areas only get one type of diesel and it all comes from the same refinery. That means all the diesel is bad. I luckily live between several major refinerys and have a lot of different fuels to pick from . Ashland diesel is horrible, and leaves a smoke screen. BP #2 is quite good and just leaves a small puff on cold start-up. BP diesel supreme never smokes and doesn't even have the odor in the garage like the other fuels. The general truck-stops around here carry a generic #2 that isn't bad, it smokes a little more than BP #2.

It's possible your injection quantity is off which could cause more smoke. Or even the timing. Any cold-start problems or hesitation?
    No, I'm in Florida so no cold start problems, no other problems at all. I have the VW regional sevice rep coming to look at it tomorrow and I don't know that much about diesels and don't want him telling me it's nomal when it's not, like the service manager has. The fuel around here is all basic #2 fuel but everyone else I've talk to uses the same as I do.

Thanks again for your help
  • pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    Responded to your post over in Jetta TDI forum....(basically same thing sebring asked/stated)

I have an '04 GLS TDI (purchased 04/04) and recently purchased an 05 Passat GLS TDI and I don't have that problem at all. I do, however, back them out of the garage on the mornings I let them warm up, but even so, they sit in the same place on the driveway and I haven't had any problems. Does the station where you get your diesel pump alot of it? That could be part of it, old or poor quality fuel. Heck, my F350 Powerstroke diesel doesn't even leave any marks on the drive.

-PR-

03 Ford F350 SuperCrew KingRanch 6.0L Powerstroke
    04 VW Jetta GLS TDI
    05 VW Passat GLS TDI
    Did you buy this new? Just curious if it might have had some mods done. A tuning box, chip, or injectors can cause more smoke particularly if the installer didn't know what they were doing;) If other TDI's aren't having that problem on the same fuel, then you've got an issue somewhere. I'd start by looking at the IQ. Can you physically see black smoke when you start it in the garage?
  • pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    There are some recent posts on tdiclub about Castrol 505.01 not being up to par with its viscosity after use. That site maintains a very long data base of people that send their oil out for analysis when it is changed and there are several oil experts that use that data to recomend which of those oils work best. I have an 04 PD TDI and have been using Castrol 505.01 that I purchased from my local VW dealer since I bought it. Right now, I am thinking that I will definitely switch to another brand. The only 3 other brands of 505.01 sold in the US are Motul (can get from worldimpex), Pentosynth (can get from tdiparts), and Elf Excellium DID (if you go to the elfmoto website they list distributors, I haven't had good luck finding a supplier for this one). The people that tried the Elf Excellium did give it a very high rating.
    For the record, I have NEVER seen any black smoke our of the tailpipe of my 2003 TDI. I have occasionally seen some WHITE smoke when first started in below -10F temps. I always add at least 6oz of Powersrervice diesel-fuel additive at each fillup.

If you are getting BLACK smoke, I wonder if you are using enough fuel additive. A cetane improver will go a LOONG way twards reducing smoke.
  • mn_patmn_pat Member Posts: 67
    Does anyone have experience running Bio-diesel in thier TDI? How does it perform compared to dino-diesel?

Thanks....
  • lordautomaxlordautomax Member Posts: 1
    Waiting to hear how the car performed.
    Yes to confess ignorance, with over 51,000 miles on a 2003 TDI, the only time I ever saw it betch (grey) smoke was after sitting overnight in 20 degree temperatures at high altitude (Durango, CO) with non CA #2 diesel. untreated (I use Primrose 405 except on the road)
    with non CA #2 diesel.

I will pick up my new Passat on Monday in Portland. Have you found some brands of diesel are much better than others? When I get home I will fillup wtih ECD-1 ULSD and give it the test. I am concerned on the trip down through Oregon. Or should I just put an additive in and not worry about it? I am excited....
    YIPPEE!!!

I have been guilty of going to truck stops and using the normal #2 brew. :blush:

When going through an Oregon station, just make sure the pump jockey doesn't

1. put unleaded gas in your #2 diesel tank :mad:

2. let the fuel spill all over your brand new bodywork. :cry:

This almost happened at two separate stations!!!??? They must receive some kind of training to make this happen or something??

Cautions aside have a GREAT trip. You will have a lot of good highway miles! Let us know how you like the Passat!
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    That is all I use (except once when I mis-judged my trips and had to put in the dino-fuel). I live in New England, and can only get the 80/20 blend (known as B-20). I always add a diesel fuel additive to each tank. I do have to drive about 10 miles out of my way to get a tankful when driving locally, but there is another dealer on the way to NY (which is a trip I make with some regularity). Performance is better IMHO. Less smoke and "new start smell".

Caution- if you have been using dino and make the switch, it is claimed that the Bio is an efficient solvent and will dissolve residues in the fuel tank and lines. These residues can clog the fuel filter and cause a decrease in performance.

Funny Bio-diesel story: I was filling up at Fleming's Shell in West Chesterfield, NH, about 1/2 mile from Brattleboro, VT. A guy at the Dino-pump said to me "You can't put that bio-diesel in your car, that is only for farm equipment". I laughed, told him that is all I use and challenged him to give it a try in his truck (I think it was a big Ford, Harley Davidson edition). The price was the same ($2.37). On 2 additional fill-ups, I had great conversations with people who were giving B-20 a try for the first time!
    Out here in the west, bio diesel seems to be a bit harder to get, or perhaps it is hidden a bit from the normal landscape and one has to get plugged into the network to become more familiar about the outlets. The Arco ECD- ULSD is definitely available, but the retail outlets are far and few inbetween. It is also plentiful and very available in CA's central valley (agricultural, trucking transportation areas), BUT at those remote and limited access "commercial" fuel stations.

The local and very good Mobil One Delvac supplier sells bio diesel, but conversely it is deep in the San Jose industrial area (24 miles R/T) for me. Of course, the last time I checked it was app 1 dollar more than the #2 brew. This is in interesting contrast to bio diesel that was available on the main drag in a so called "Mom and Pop" location into downtown Durango CO.
    I hope you are not suggesting that you will be taking a BRAND NEW engine on a long road trip. That is perhaps the worst way to "break in" a new engine.

If one has no choice but to take a BRAND NEW engine on the highway for 100s of miles, make absolutely sure that the cruse-control is not used and the roadspeed is varied every 30 minutes or so.

Also include the all-important "short bursts of full-throttle accelleration" followed by decelleration. This is the only way to begin to seat the rings -- expecially with a turbocharged diesel engine.

Taking a BRAND NEW engine on a long roadtrip and using cruse-control is just asking for troubles later in the life of the engine. (oil-burner, low MPG, poor compression.... etc. )
    Break in especially for a new diesel can be a multi tasking situation. The real trick is to do the break in routine first, secondarily to those 1400 miles.

A brand new car will always have the 200 mile under 55 mph for the tires to break in. Next is the break in of the brake pads/rotors. Then the (hopefully) gentle break in of the suspension. The most important will probably be for the engine and transmission combination.

As most probably know, driving a diesel has a different emphasis.
    I rarely drive the Interstate so will be on back highways. It should give a good variation of speed. We plan on the coast route and a couple scenic routes to the redwoods. Actually with only about 300 miles in Oregon we should be able to fill up in California and get the higher grade of diesel. It will be tough keeping it under 55 mph the first 200 miles. I have the 17" Michelins, do they require a breakin period.

In planning out our trip I found this list of ARCO stations in California that now sell ULSD. It is BP ECD-1 the stuff that will be mandated next year.

I have more stations in my area than I thought.

http://www.ecdiesel.com/documents/ecd-1_retail_list.pdf
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    No really hard cornering for about 50-100 miles is the only precaution about new tires - unlikely behavior, in your case, I'd say. Even this is pretty conservative, if the tires have been mounted for weeks or months, as these have to have been. Do check pressures before leaving the dealer - too often, they don't reduce the pressures from shipping levels [40 psi+]..."why does this thing ride like a rock?"...

Incidentally, one of the dealers in Portland today is advertising 2005 Passat TDI GLS sedans [at least five are claimed available] at $21,995. I'll admit that got my attention...
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    it's not road speed that needs to be varied during break-in - it's RPMs. i recommend varying them way more often than every 30 minutes - doing lots of acceleration-runs with accelerator pedal half way down - when there's nobody behind you - run through the gears. and use the brakes gently for the first 200 miles, yes, no hard-stops if you can avoid it. and forget about any 55 mph limit - imho that's nonsense. and there's no worry about breaking in the tires!
    Thank you, I will pack a tire gauge. What is the best pressure for a decent ride without messing up the handling?

I think Portland has some good prices. I was thinking of buying a second one just in case they quit bringing diesels into this country. You know CARB and the hatchet they wield.
    If you purchased the TDI for MPG -- obviously the higest PSI allowed on the tire sidewall is the best choice. You can realize up to 3-5MPG better than running at lower PSI.

Be aware that running the higher PSI will make for a more bumpy ride. The reccomendation in the owners manual is intended to provide the most supple ride.

I regularly get between 600 and 800 miles per tank of fuel. (the delta is larger on an efficent vehicle because every variable 'amplifies' the MPG change)
  • rattie1rattie1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a VW passat sport 1999 1.9 TDI. I have noticed a small knocking coming from under the car when it has reached engine temp or I have been driving for 5-10 mins from cold. If the engines warm the knocking starts only 1-2 mins into the journey. This noise has been getting progressively louder over the last few months. I think I have located where the noise is resonating from but its not the source - I don't think. Under the car on both the left and right hand side are 2 steel pipes side by side recessed into the floor (either side of the exhaust) now on the right hand side when the knocking is happening one of these pipe is vibrating at exactly the same time as the noise. The other side is not. Are these brake pipes - Could this be air in the system - I do not notice any braking problems. The noise may not be knocking it could be air but as its constant noise it just sounded pump like - the noise does not speed up with engine revs - its constant. Why would it only kick in after a time - it occurs when moving and stationary with handbrake on. Can anyone please help me - thanks in advance!
    Central Florida Eurocars strikes again, eh? :P
    Brandon VW has it for 6 and change per litre
  • rstar32rstar32 Member Posts: 6
    What Portland dealer was advertising '05 Passats (GLS, TDI's) for $21,995? I am in the market and live an hour south of Portland. Thanks for your help.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Rey Reece VW. 800-283-0592. Page G42 of the Sunday Oregonian.
    I am in the market and live an hour south of Portland.

You might also check with the Internet sales man at Armstrong Buick VW in Gladstone, Oregon, South of Portland. I paid more than that with leather and 17" wheels. It was still under invoice. That is closer to Jetta GLS TDI pricing. A great deal if you can get a Passat GLS TDI for $21,995.
    I live in New England, and can only get the 80/20 blend (known as B-20)

What is the price difference between B20 and unleaded regular at this time? Is the B20 more than # 2 diesel? I have one dealer in San Diego that sells B20 and have thought about using it. I can get BP ECD-1 ULSD in several ARCO locations now so fuel is not a big deal.
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    Unleaded regular at Sam's Club (usually the best price around) is $2.19 (and rising daily). The B-20 and what the pump calls "BP Premium Diesel" are the same price ($2.399) at a dealer on the NH/VT border. Today, I paid $2.309 for B-20 at another dealer (in Central NH), while the dino #2 was $2.369.

The B-20 is at a mom & pop store that sells Gulf fuels. They say they do not make anything on the B-20, but keep it because they are trying to help establish a market for it.

Who was the person that always answered posts on this forum with a call to switch to B-20? It was he (or she) that helped to educate me and make the switch!
    Has anyone taken their 04-05 TDI in to get the diesel pump recall work done?

Link to the Recall Letter

My Passat is scheduled for Tuesday and my Jetta is scheduled for Wednesday. The dealer said it takes a couple of hours to complete the job......
    Did they mention when they found this problem? My new Passat was built 1/05. I suppose they would contact the dealers if they were not sold prior to February 2005. I hate to take this car to a San Diego dealer as they have so little experience with the TDI. I was able to get the dealer to sell me the 505.01 Castrol at dealer's cost, in case they don't even stock it here in San Diego. I will look for an independent shop that works on them in the future.
    I think they found the problem in December...but HERE is alink to the letter that gives the VIN number ranges affected...both my 04 Jetta and 05 Passat fall within the "serial" range.....

BTW....pictures...where are the pictures? I posted pics of mine over in the Diesel Fuel Economy and Chips Thread.
    Just put 1400 + miles on our new Passat Wagon TDI. We drove through heavy rain, snow and high winds. Very stable in all situations. Keeping the TDI under 70 on the Interstate is not easy. We spent the first night in Roseburg with a room overlooking the Umqua River. Visited my dad and got off to a fairly early start on Tuesday. Fortunately we drove more miles on the back highways of CA. After going through a snowstorm leaving Oregon we decided to drive highway 96 that follows the Klamath River for 190 miles. That highway is very good with no traffic. My wife found her groove on that stretch and it was hard getting the steering wheel out of her hands. We took the highway of the Giants through the Redwoods. Many little towns to go through. What impressed us is the ease that you maintain your speed. No high revving of the engine. I don' think I ever hit 3500 RPMs on the trip. When we got to the first ARCO that sells the ULSD ECD-1 diesel my trip computer showed we had 5 miles to go. That tank of Oregon # 2 diesel gave us 33.96 MPG. The ULSD took us across the San Juaquin Valley and into the Sierras. We followed the old highway 49 (trail of 1849) to the end then into Fresno. That tank with all the up and down hill driving got us 37.53 MPG. The last leg took us to Mojave and down 395 to Interstate 15. It started blowing sand so we stopped for the night to keep from sand blasting our new baby. We drove the last 228 miles this morning. That last 408 miles was never under 80 MPH and much of it was 85-90 MPH. That dropped our mileage to 33.34 MPG when we filled up here at home. BP ECD-1 ULSD is readily available at ARCO stations all over CA. The price varied from 2 cent less than unleaded to 10 cents more than unleaded here in San Diego. The only mishap was the fellow filling the car next to the dealership broke our gas cover. I went back and got an estimate to repair it, $185 was the price. The gas station attendant gave me the cash and did not charge to fill the tank with diesel. Now I have to find someone to replace that cover here in San Diego. I'm sold on these VW TDIs.