Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    To tell if they used the proper (synthetic) oil, read the PartNumber for the oil on the invoice.

I cannot beleive that any VW dearlership would add somthing else to the oil that flys against the manufacturer reccommendations. (The owners manual says do not add anything to the oil)

You have learned a lesson here, you shoud TELL THEM SPECIFICALLY WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO. Never-- EVER just say somthing like "Do a 10,000 mile service" -- you are asking for confustion and extra bills. Doing it that way, many dealerships will add in extra stuff that is NOT EVEN REQUIRED to meet the manufacturers warantee.

Of course, this means that one has to READ AND UNDERSTASND the owners manual pertaining to what mimimum things need to be done to meet warantee requirements.... then specify those items to the service advisor.
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    The oil was part #VWN G 052 167 A2. The description is "Motor Oil".

I did specifically ask for the 10K service, and said "synthetic oil change, tires rotated, and drain H2O seperator."

As for the oil treatment, it was no extra cost but you are correct. they say in the manual not to add anything extra.

Thanks for the reply.
  • rob222rob222 Member Posts: 49
    For the uninformed, is DSG the standard gearbox with the manual transmission?

Seems it would be alot more fun than the automatic. Checkedout the Beetle and Jetta at the dealer yesterday and even the sales manager was trying to tell me I meant the Tiptronic transmission as the only transmission that gave you the option of not requiring shifting.

Thanks, Rob.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I replied to this over in the Jetta forum.

No. The manual transmission is still clutch and foot. The DSG is offered as the automatic option. Dealers are often confused because the option list still uses the term "Tiptronic" when referring to those cars with the DSG as the automatic [the new TDI Jetta, for example]. And the gasoline Jettas do get a torque converter automatic 6 spd that is a conventional Tiptronic - thus the confusion. Pay careful attention to what the website says, and it seems clear to me - but dealer people are so often NOT car people - they just push the metal, and have precious little concern about the technical details.
  • rob222rob222 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks. I guess my only remaining question would be how the DSG varies from the gasoline Tiptronic. Appreciate your response.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    DSG automatic transmission
    DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) transmission is a breakthrough in passenger car transmissions because it perfectly stresses the advantages and simultaneously reduces the inherited imperfections of manual and standard automatic transmission. DSG is a transmission that allows quick and precise gear changing; it has a favourable efficiency coefficient, i.e. has only a small influence on consumption and provides great comfort and convenience.

DSG can be described as a mechanism consisting of two standard transmissions - it has two clutches joined by two input shafts. One section of the transmission is used for uneven numbered gear changes and reverse and the other for even numbered gear changes.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2040413.023/page/9/lang/eng/skoda/1.html
    Volkswagen Group’s Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) combines the ease of an automatic car with the efficiency and flexibility of a manual.

While a conventional gearbox works with one clutch, the DSG transmission has two – one in gear, while the second has the next gear preselected. When the gears need to shift, the second clutch takes the load, while the first preselects the next gear. The whole process takes no more than three to four hundredths of a second – faster than the blink of an eye!

DSG transmissions also have a ‘tiptronic’ function, allowing gears to be manually selected. Tiptronic changes have a more ‘sporty’ feel.

There are several benefits of the system. These include improved acceleration and refined uninterrupted driving. DSG is the first of its kind to feature in a production car, demonstrating Volkswagen Group’s ongoing commitment to developing remarkable technology.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/technology_glossary/DSG
  • waterlooboyswaterlooboys Member Posts: 10
    This message is better here :)

...I have just realized that VW is just importing the lower HP version of their 1.9L and 2.0L TDI (around 100hp)! Why don't they import the 130, 150 (1.9L) and 140hp version (2.0L) of those engines. Emission standards ?
    Because there is a HUGE difference between the 100-115hp versions and the 130-140-150hp versions. The first ones are quiet....the second ones are pure FURRY. You wouldn't believe it's the same block! The difference is the same between the Audi V6tdi 155-163hp and the 180hp version of the same engine.
    My dad (in France) has a Golf IV TDI 130hp, 6 speed (MatchII, latest version) upgraded with a german chip (inexpensive, 70euros for the injector-pump version, more for the older version, easy to install, great stuff) that gives more punch (more torque than power) when driving on the 5th or 6th. It's almost like driving a BMW330D or a A4180TDI: you are cruising at 60mph on the highway, you push the throttle down and handfull of seconds after you are at 120mph...still on the same gear
    It's like being pushed by a huge catapult that seems to keep pushing for ever...only a diesel engine can do that (unless you have a gas engine that goes up to 9000rpm and more: M5, S2000, Modena,etc... but the price isn't the same ). Anyway, just to tell that the 130-150hp versions by far the best versions : brutal, sharp I like those engines. What's more, you have got better mileage with the 130-150hp versions than the 100-115hp versions (between 5 and 5.5 liters/100km on highway). No, there is no mistake...
    I drove the new Passat 2.0L TDI, the engine is basically the same as the 1.9L version but not as brutal as the 1.9L, they changed that because many people complained about that. Surprisingly, the new engine is more noisy
    But it's a great car, for sure a best-seller in Europe. They announce a 170hp version of the 2.0L engine. Toyota has just launched a 170hp-180hp version of its 4 cylinder diesel engine on the Avensis. Round one, fight!

;)
    It must have been said, I don't know :confuse:

For the timing belt, it's every 80000 km but the dealership advised my dad to do it before reaching 80K...
    For a VW TDI (injector-pump), I would use only two types of oil: those that meet the VW505.01 standard (classic) and those that meet the VW 506.01 standard(long life program). I wouldn't use anything else. The top is the Longlife. It's more expensive but you can make double mileage (I mean kilometres) before changing oil. You just have to wait until the car tells you to go to the dealership to change oil. Nice! :D

;)
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    What is the torque for your Dad's TDI (130hp)? When start from the traffic light, can you overpass other 2.5L cars easily? Do you need to downshift directly from 6 gear to 4 gear to have enough punch when swerving on the freeway?
    I can't remember the actual values (I am sure you can find these on the Web) but I think it's 290Nm for the 130hp and 310Nm for the 150hp version. The manufacturer of the ship (I can't remember its name :cry: ) claim +20hp and +50Nm with the chip. I don't know if it's true or not but you can feel the difference.

What kind of 2.5L ? I think my dad's car is very close, in terms of performance, to the A4 V6TDI 163hp, the VW has less power but the Audi is heavier... not exactly the same but it's very close. At least you can follow them ;)

Once you reach 60-65 mph, you don't need to change gears on the highway. But I like to play with the lever so I used to downshift to the 5th gear to have more punch. The gearboxes on VW cars (and Audi and BMW) are just pure delight: short lever, smooth shift...

;)
  • kagardkagard Member Posts: 2
    I was having a power problem with my TDI. Took it in to dealer and they found the intake manifold on the turbo reduced to 1 inch by carbon buildup. They removed it, scraped clean, acid wash and reassembled and everything was good. Have 107K on a 2001 Beetle. Has anyone else had this problem occur?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The problem you describe is very common, and usually long before 100k miles. Welcome to the world of crappy American diesel fuel....

....which is also the answer to the question of why we don't get the more sophisticated versions of the diesel in our market. We have to get the junk that is currently being sold as diesel in this country cleaned up. It will start happening with the new rules for low-sulfur diesel starting next year.
  • kagardkagard Member Posts: 2
    Is there one additive that is better for this problem? The dealer here is suggesting one they have every fourth tank of diesel. I bought my TDI in 03 and really did not have the problem until I moved from TX to UT.

This is a Golf IV Match II. The latest version of the Golf IV. My dad's car is the same with a roof spoiler...

;)
  • vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    Have a chipped TDI that is starting to smoke when I do a hard acceleration. Has not done this before even after it was chipped. Now has 110K on it. Manifold has been cleaned. Any ideas about how to stop this?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Injectors could be dirty and not spraying correctly. Just a thought. Try some BP Diesel Supreme or other high cetane lower-sulphur fuel. Mine doesn't smoke at all with BP Supreme but I've always been able to get smoke with standard #2 on hard acceleration. I have bigger nozzles as well as a chip though.
  • deaner14deaner14 Member Posts: 40
    I find if I don't use at least 4 oz of Cetene Boost per tank I get smoke (85k on '02). Cheap way to alleviate the problem maybe.
  • hartkenjhartkenj Member Posts: 1
    informative post about the tiptronic I was wondering if anyone knows if using this adds wear and tear on the tranny compared to letting the engine shift on its own.I just purchased the passat tdi and love the car its quick without the tiptronic and handles great, great mileage also around 600 per tank full Thanks for any input. :) .
  • pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    There have been a # of posts on tdiclub about people with 04's that have had coolant leaks in their EGR coolers. Hopefully, VW will come up with an EGR gas cooler that lasts longer than the current ones are.
    Intake manifold pluggage is a very common problem in TDI VW's and it has been attributed to 3 reasons. The sulfur in the fuel seems to be a big factor. People in CA and other places where ULSD (diesel with <15ppm sulfur as opposed to typical 500 ppm sulfur most places) don't seem to be having this problem. The combination of EGR (exhaust gas recirculation for reduction of NOx gasses) and CCV (crankcase ventilation; these fumes contain an oily mist that tend to mix with the EGR soot particles to form deposits and plug the intake manifold). A lot of people have instaled CCV coalescing filters (Provent and Racor make very good CCV coalescing filters that will remove all oil mist from the CCV fumes). I installed a Mann & Hummel Provent CCV filter on my 04 PD TDI Jetta to help prevent this problem. One word of caution however: there has been one instance of an owner with the CCV filter installed that had a leaking camshaft oil seal where the dealer refused to honor making the repair under warranty because the engine had been "modified" (I certainly don't agree at all with that assesment, but try to argue that with some $%@*&amp;%! at the dealership). The good news is that Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel will be here in about 1 year. (I also try to run with a biodiesel mix B20-B40 when I can find it to help prevent this; no sulfur in Bio).
    Go to tdiclub and look up the procedure for doing a ventectomy (maybe the wife already did it). Its a very simple mod and it allows to to squeeze in an extra 1-2 gallons on every fillup without having to press that white tab (sounds like your's must have broken off from doing all of those manual vented fillings). The white tab operates a small spring-loaded plunger valve that attempts to trap an air pocket in your tank while you are filling and then releases it as you reinstall the cap. It really just isn't needed on a diesel tank.
  • bzackbzack Member Posts: 12
    "The good news is that Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel will be here in about 1 year."

I live in Canada. Do you know Ultra Low Sulfur diesel will be in Canada too in a year? I mean there are many Canadian truckers driving in the U.S. It makes a lot of sense for the Canadian gov't to follow its southern neighor.

Also does diesel additive help the intake clog problem?
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I want to get feedback on a described problem with the past generation TDI Jetta with Manual Transmission that I find hard to believe. My sister in law has two friends with past generation Jetta TDIs. They both claim to have a problem with manual transmission TDI Jettas such that the car will not drop to a lower gear on a steep incline. The solution they devised is to quick turn the car on and off in this situation and then down shift.

This sounds so odd to me I can hardly believe it. I could see this maybe happening with an automatic tranny, but a manual?

Can any Jetta TDI manual owners clear this up for me?
  • stevenpaulstevenpaul Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Golf TDI, Canadian model, but I've been using it for short-haul driving in South Carolina for the past two years. Since moving here, I've had a host of electrical problems (glow plugs, brake switch, MAF sensor, etc.). Also, any time I have an electrical problem, the automatic transmission shifts to third gear (I can shift it manually, but it's very clunky). When the dealer mechanics pull up the codes, they see 'failed communication with transmission.'

When this happened again recently (with about 60000 miles on the car), the dealer told me that I would need to replace the accelerator position sensor, the diesel pump and some other sensor!!! With the price of replacing the diesel pump alone running to 1500 dollars, I was hesitant. However, while driving it around with the check-engine-light on, the car would suddenly stall at speed (40 mph). I took it to a private garage and they were much more cautious about where the problem lies. They suspected that the ECU was bad, so that got replaced. When the stalling problem persisted, they replace the MAF sensor, which increased the power tremendously. The car has continued to stall out, though, and the most recent fix they've tried is replacing the EGR valve (which was almost completely clogged).

I've read online about the carbon build-up in the EGR and intake manifold. Could this really have been the cause of the car stalling at speed (since it's not an electronic part)? Has anyone been able to get VW to rectify this for free? What about the other problems I'm having with my transmission lockup? Any suggestion? I'm at my wit's end (and the money's pretty low, too).
  • vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    Has Upsolute updated it's ECU software? If yes, any gain in performance over the old one?
  • tomsawyertomsawyer Member Posts: 12
    I would appreciate some help on this one. I am doing the 5000 mile service on an 05 Passat TDI.

I completed the oil change no problem; however, I am not sure how to empty the fuel/water separator. Can anyone guide me on how to do this? Here's a couple of questions -

1) Is the fuel/water separator located on the right side of the engine next to the oil filter housing?

2) If it is, is it a black canister with 4 hoses connected to the top of it?

3) On the bottom, I see a white plastic wheel that looks like it can be turned.

4) If this is it, it looks like the canister is held on to a metal arm with some type of torx screw. Does anybody know the size and will it fit on to a ratchet?

5) Should I take the screw off to lift the canister to turn the plastic wheel?

6) Will diesel fuel come out of the canister if I turn the wheel?

I appreciate all who answer. Thanks in advance.
    You're looking at the right item. That's actually the fuel filter and the water collector is built-in. The white screw can be loosened and fuel/water will drain out. Trying to catch it is fun. Water will collect in the bottom of the fuel filter (water is heavier than diesel) so it can then be drained.

That being said, I wouldn't bother with this task unless you have some reason to believe you've gotten some contaminated fuel. It's basically rare to ever have any water collect in the filter so most TDI's owners don't even bother with this. The fuel filter needs replaced every 20k miles which seems to be more than adequate. Which reminds me, I'm about 10k miles overdue on the fuel filter....
    The EGR coolers have a pretty high failure rate. I've seen quite a few posts from people with newer TDI's that had to have it replaced. Shame on your dealer for not being aware of this problem.
  • smokerrsmokerr Member Posts: 5
    There is a serious major misconception in this last statement.

If your INTAKE manifold is slobbered up, it has nothing to do with lousy diesel fuel.

VW has a problem in how to deal with crankcase fumes and EGR setup.

On the older 1.9 engine, they dumped both into the suction side of the turbo and that makes a huge mess.

While they quit dumping the EGR into the suction side on the PDI engine (Passat at least) they do dump the crankcase fumes into the suction side of the turbo on the 2.0 Passat TDI.

This spreads oil into the system, and will create the clouds of smoke.

There is a solution for separating out the oil from the vapors, apparently VW went cheap on how to deal with it.

Not sure how many do it, may be part of emissions control not working quite right with the mapping, but......

Something to look for, you have to pull all the plastic foo foo off the engine to see it.
  • smokerrsmokerr Member Posts: 5
    I have been experiencing the reported smoking problem on a 2005 Passat TDI.

I work on diesel generators and fire pumps, so I have a good working knowledge and experience with the causes.

I was surprised to find that it does not appear to be a leaking turbo charger seal (though it certainly could be on either side of the turbo)

What I have found is they took the crank case breather tube, and ran it into the suction side of the Turbo Charger.

There is NO device to separate the oil out of the vapor, so it gets sucked in (and worse, a high vacuum sucking the fumes out of the engine, not a mild vent like a gasoline engine does, with the PCV to restrict it).
    I have found about ¼ cup in the various nooks and serrations in the turbo charger intake tubing (a lot at the bottom tube into the inter-cooler).

VW claims this is normal. It is only normal if you have a poor design that is going to ensure its going to happe, normal is a total cop out.

There are devices (and I have installed them on my work engines) that separate the oil out of the vapor, and pass on clean air into the suction side of the turbo (you can either drain the canister, or it can be plumbed into the crank case for the oil that separated out.

I would urge anyone who has this problem to file a complaint with not only the dealer, but contact VW and get a case number.

That is the only way this is going to get corrected. It is in no way &#147;normal&#148; for a brand new vehicle, diesel of otherwise, to emit large clouds of smoke under any conditions (see note). We have spent literally hundreds of billions to clean up our air, and this is not acceptable.

Note: If you have poor diesel, that can cause smoke under acceleration, but it should still be fairly mild, not huge clouds, and not ever when backed off the throttle.
  • thebigbananathebigbanana Member Posts: 2
    I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this bizarre problem. I had a passanger in my 2002 VW Golf TDI that was holding a pet crate on his lap and the airbag light went on. I figured that there must be a sensor of some sort that monitors the space in front of the airbag. The problem is that now the light comes on everytime I start my car and doesn't go off. I haven't found anything in my car manual indicating any kind of sensor but I thought I'd try messages boards to see if anyone knows anything about it.

Thanks,
    Annie
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    hi Annie/bigbanana. i don't think there is any such sensor such as that which you surmise. i do believe there is a weight sensor in the seat however. having federally mandated electronics to make a life or death decision is a dicey thing, as we've seen by the hundreds of child & other fatalities directly caused by airbags.

given the symptoms you describe, i think your airbag system has had a failure independent of your passenger with the pet crate. possibly an autozone trouble-code reader could read the error code, but for an airbag failure i think a visit to a vw dealer is well advised, or some other expert vw mechanics! cheers...
  • xrayjettaxrayjetta Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    New to this forum. I am unable to find a useful manual for my 2004 TDI Jetta so I was wondering if one of you could give me some details on performing and oil change for this, essentially where the filter is, etc... for this car. My old Honda manuals were great for this but the VW ones remind me of Microsoft manuals. By the way, we have about 11k miles split evenly between highway and town and average about 44MPG.
    You will find that VW is a refreshing change from a Honda. The Hondas are not designed to be maintined very easilly while VWs are DESIGNED with maintaince in mind. Everything is wtihin easy reach under the hood after the engine-cover is removed.

In fact, the entire oil-change can be done from under the hood without even getting under the vehicle. Many folks with TDIs use an oil-change-sucker to pull the oil from the engine thru the dipstick-tube.

Dont forget that your 2004 TDI requires very special oil. Anything less than the specified oil can ruin the camshaft lobes.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Buy a manual on EBAY. 4 available.
  • stembridgestembridge Member Posts: 1
    My CEL came on after a 1000 mile drive from IL to WY (straight through). The next morning, the glow plug light stayed on for a long time until I finally went ahead and started the car (it started and ran fine all the way back to IL, too). I took the car to my local parts place today and their ODBC scanner indicated a "Glow Plug / Heater" fault. The tech seemed to think it might be the glow plug relay that was bad.

Before I bought a new one, I decided to do some searching and reading here. Seems like this could be a problem with bad glow plugs, relay, wiring connections or possibly heartbreak of psoriasis...

I'm more confused now than before. Anyone have any suggestions on what that fault code really means?

Thanks,

es
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking for female owners of any of the following diesels:
    VW New Beetle diesel
    VW Golf diesel
    Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
    Please respond with your name and contact info to jhelperin@edmunds.com by Monday, August 22.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hotgolfhotgolf Member Posts: 1
    I am the owner of a 2004 Golf TDI. I would like to get the opinion of your members. I love the car but something caused a pin hole in the A/C condenser the other day while driving on US 281, in San Antonio. My thinking is if something very small can cause this problem during normal driving, then there is a design issue.
    I was told I would have to pay for the repair by Rod East VW. I also inquired to VW of America. I was told although rare this has happened before but VW will not help me pay the $854.00 repair bill to replace the condenser. My car is still under warranty.

The Beetles have a protective grill but the Golf does not. Does VW care more about Beetle owners than Golf owners?

I was also told by Rod East, that I could have chosen to install my own custom grill on my new car....ridiculous!

Thank you for any help in resolving this issue. VW of America will not consider covering this under warranty or even to reduce the huge cost.

Please help put me in touch with someone that will get the attention of VW customer service

Thank you
    hey there hotgolf. i wouldn't necessarily assume there is a design flaw here, but i am not familiar with the protective grill on beetles. i had a 2003 jetta TDI - i wonder if that had a protective grille over the AC condensor.

anyway, feces happens, that's what i'm sayin. stuff like this:
    i bought my GTO on a friday at 6pm and it got rearended monday at 9AM.
    my passat TDI got a nasty windshield chip during the first week - just below the primary "line of sight" , and 2 days ago i discovered the outer glass of the right fog light had also gotten smashed. i wouldn't care, since i think fog lights are useless. but it's dangerous - it would cut a kids hand if a kid touched it - so i've gotta get it fixed. and this car has only seen a few months of spring/summer driving. in winter it will be worse - some of the local towns put down really coarse sand on the roads - including lots of little pebbles. anyway, enough about my cars.

you might not know that the situation you describe would be covered by your auto insurance policy in most cases. probably the collision portion of your policy, but who knows, maybe it would go under "comprehensive". not sure. so what sort of deductible do you have - and can you find out what is the likelihood that your rates will get bumped if you file a claim for this? my preference is to have a big deductible and to avoid making 'smaller' claims. i understand that making multiple small claims is a sure way to get the insurance company to raise rates. but for just one small claim i bet they wouldn't raise rates.
  • tomsawyertomsawyer Member Posts: 12
    I have my 05 Passat TDI for 3 months now and have a cracked windshield. I guess a small rock hit just below the driver's side windshield wiper and now I have a fault line which came up and now goes straight across. I have owned many cars in my time and have driven all over the NY tristate area but this has never happened til now.
  • ozgolfozgolf Member Posts: 1
    Hi, this is my first time on this forum so hello to everyone. I have owned a Volkswagen Golf 2001 since February this year. Every so often it has a problem of starting. It doesn't do this all the time but occasionally it takes ages for it to fire up and it blows a lot of smoke when it does kick over. I have taken it back to the mechanics a few times but then murphys law happens and it won't "perform". They have tried replacing the fuel filter and the air filter but to no avail. Does anyone else have or have heard of this problem. :confuse:
  • gilabbgilabb Member Posts: 1
    The turbocharger in my 2005 1.9 TDI Golf failed at 5000 miles. I bought the car for a 75 mi. one way commute. Really love it but am worried about reliability. Planning on 250k miles in 5 yrs. Anyone else have early turbo failure?
    Most of the turbo problems I've seen have been mis-diagnosis by a clueless dealer. A bad sensor can cause the turbo to seem like it's bad. I suppose if there was a manufacturing problem one could fail at such low mileage. Real turbo problems are pretty rare on these. I wouldn't sweat it.
  • tomatopietomatopie Member Posts: 31
    Good news -- VW won't cover it (road hazard) but your insurer will. Physical damage to your car caused by flying objects (such as a stone kicked up by another vehicle) is covered under your "other than collision" physical damage coverage. You will have to eat your deductible, but otherwise you can get this covered.

Same thing happened to my '91 Acura Legend just this spring. Not only did I need some new parts from the damage, the whole unit had to be reconditioned to use the new refrigerant. Insurance paid the whole thing.

If you are at fault in a liability or collision claim, it can raise your rates. But this is different. Check with your agent, many insurers do not surcharge for OTC claims.

Cracked windshields are likewise covered as OTC. Many insurers will also cover your deductible if you agree to have the W/S repaired instead of replaced.

:)
  • cttdicttdi Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone -- I'm new to the forum ... purchased a 2005 Golf TDI in May and it's been great with the exception of belching blue smoke when I accelerate to pass someone or when trying to maintain speed up a decent grade. I had it into the dealer at 1,100mi and of course they couldn't make it do it :( and it goes in again next week for round #2, currently has 4,200mi.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this ?? :confuse:
    I assume that you have tried several different fuel sources and are using diesel fuel additive at each fillup. Before assuming the car has a problem, look to bad fuel as the problem.

Could be several things. It REALLY neeeds to be hooked to a laptop and drive it while monitoring it.

I suspect your IQ (Injection Quality) may be set incorrecttly... but on a new engine that is not even broken in yet.... it may be sensor such as MAF or engine temp. Perhaps even the fuel injection timing is incorrect.
    Do all VW dealerships have the computer software for testing the TDI? I agree that the fuel would be my first guess. I have not gotten any smoke with the BP ULSD sold in CA. No smell from the exhaust at all.
  • cttdicttdi Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses -- I'm new to TDI technology so I've got a learning curve here.

I've tried 3 different fuel sources (that's all I have available) -- all smoke. Oh, and I should have mentioned it smells even at idle.

Supposedly they checked all the sensors etc on round #1!

You're comment about engine temp is interesting as I notice that the smoking tendency is worse after ~ 1 hr of running. Last weekend, I met my brother, after having run ~ an hr and even at idle we could blip the throttle and get it to smoke :(

Any chance this is related to the exhaust gas recirculating process ?
    as far as i know, smoke when you blip or stand on the accelerator is normal with typical USA fuel. if drive to california and try their diesel fuel and the result will be lway ess smoke or none visible at all. i verified this last month...
    if it wasn't for the ability to lay down a smoke cloud, i'd have no defense against tailgators!
    my 2003 tdi jetta smoked way more than my 2005 tdi passat. different technology, but the passat will smoke if i run it easy for a while and then stand on it.