Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    As an opposing view... my 2003 TDI has NEVER-EVER had black smoke from the exhaust. I do get some WHITE smke immedeatly after starting in below -10F tempertures.

Do not forget that the 2005 TDI is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ENGINE than the 2003. The "pumpe duse" engine has seperate injector pumps for each cylinder which are driven from lobes on the camshaft.

In any case, the problem described is ABSOLUTEY somthing wrong with the engine. The "pumpe duse" engine is supposed to be CLEANER than the previous engine.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    eh, maybe i am not understanding the problem being described. but from what i've read, there is no problem. if you think your TDI is not smoking, you aren't looking hard enough.

try standing on the accel when someone is gatoring you at night, especially after cruising for a while - you WILL see quite the smoke cloud in their headlights as you dust them. unless maybe you are burning california semi-low-sulfur diesel. and the PD/2005 in my passat is definitely cleaner than the 2003 TDIs, noticeably less smoke. but still some.
  • jbaustianjbaustian Member Posts: 78
    It's true that dealerships often misdiagnose a failed turbo when in fact the problem is actually something very minor.

But I have heard of a few turbos actually failing early in the warranty period. If you're going to have a turbo failure, that's the best time for it to happen.

For a healthy turbo over the long run, here are a few suggestions:
    1) Don't lug the engine. Don't try to accelerate quickly from below 2000 rpm if you're in 3rd gear or above.
    2) On those long uphill climbs, just because you CAN accelerate past slow-moving gassers in top gear, doesn't mean you should. Sometimes near the crest of a high mountain pass, the grade suddenly gets a lot steeper; that's a very good time to downshift.
    3) Exercise your turbo regularly. Freeway on-ramps are a good place to wind it out to 3500-4000 rpm or even higher. Cruising at the legal speed limit is good for fuel economy, but you shouldn't baby your engine all the time. The turbo vanes need to regularly move throughout their entire range, or they can accumulate a coating of crud that will prevent them from moving throughout their entire range. And the VNT actuator, a small and very cheap part that CANNOT be ordered separately, can start to stick if you don't exercise the turbo enough. If the actuator fails, you have to replace then entire turbo.

Treat your turbo properly and it should last 100k-200k miles or more. BUT... knowing what can cause a turbo to fail, I think I could probably cause one to fail intentionally in just a few hundred miles.
  • jbaustianjbaustian Member Posts: 78
    The next time it happens, you might try jiggling the anti-shudder valve. (Right behind the EGR valve) This valve closes when you shut off the engine, so that it quits smoothly, but is supposed to open up again right away. If it's sticking, then your engine won't get any air.

This is often the cause when a warm TDI engine won't restart. But I suppose it can happen to a cold engine, too.
  • goldenrgoldenr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Jetta TDI with 124,000 km's on it. Within the last 2 months it is not firing upon start up. Sometimes I have to try 3 times before it fires up. It also seems to be revving by itself when sitting in idle, belching black smoke at the same time. I can also feel the car jerking when driving on the highway, like something isn't getting enough gas. It has stalled a couple of times when I'm backing up and it's revving. It was recently decarbonned and no testing at the garage can determine what is wrong - possibly the EGR valve they claim. Any ideas of what the problem could be?
  • 98dieselbug98dieselbug Member Posts: 1
    Was there any resolution to your stall problem? I have the same issue - car stalls intermittently, generally 5-10 miles after startup. After the car stalls (all electricity is OK) - and I let the car sit for 30 seconds to one minute - it will restart. The problem doesn't recur during that driving session.

Can you provide any additional feedback on your issue?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    That could be a "relay 109" issue. These were problematic through about 2001 model TDI's and if yours hasn't been updated to the newer relay, it can cause erratic stalling. I'm not as familiar with the beetles, so I can't really tell you where to look. But somewhere under the steering column is a block of relays, one of which is about 1" square and says "109". or "601" if it's upsidedown ;)

This part was updated in 2000-2001 and I believe you can tell which is which by the color. The new ones should be gray in color. If yours is black, it's very likely the problem and worth swapping out as they're cheap. Buy one here World Impex or at the dealer.
  • greaseyfingersgreaseyfingers Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a 99 or newer Golf TDI 5speed, does anyone have one within 350 miles of Milwaukee, Wisconsin? Seems as if the dealers bought them all up and hid them.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Since the forums cannot be used to buy or sell items, you're not really going to get much of a response to your request. You might try visiting the Edmunds Used Vehicles pages here.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I just talked to the Internet sales where I bought my Passat TDI in April. We want a Beetle TDI. She has a wait list on all models of TDI. She asked if I wanted to sell my Passat. She said I would have no trouble making 2-3 grand over the price I paid in April. I don't think they are hiding them. The market has changed and VW has not caught up with the demand here in the USA.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...having followed your saga for some weeks [months?] now, I just have to ask: why a Beetle? It's just a Golf with all of the useable features removed [decent room, trunk space, etc]? It's nothing personal - I have never understood the New Beetle since Day One - and heaven knows the novelty has to have worn off by now...?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Good question, I started off wanting a Beetle TDI. For me it was the retro lines and images past(1971-1978) of my 1970 Beetle as a college student and well into my first job out of college. The rest of my family (women) thought and still think is is BUTT ugly .To boot they didnt want me to drive a "chick" car. So over the phone I ordered it 27 mo ago and the broker for some reason put down Jetta TDI. For a few reasons we got the Jetta and with 66k under right foot I am happy as a clam with it.
    To give you a simple answer it is my wife. She likes the looks of the Beetle and I want a TDI. All the car will be used for is running errands and short trips. The Passat is overkill for running errands and not what we want for long trips. We are looking at the MB Sprinter diesel conversion built by Airstream for cross country traveling. As soon as I have 7500 miles on the Passat it is going on sale to the highest bidder here in CA.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...if you can afford it, the Sprinter conversion seems like the ideal long-trip vehicle. Great package.
    We have driven 3 different conversions of the Sprinter. They all drive good. We like the layout and overall quality of the Airstream. I am trying to find the best deal around the country. Probably fly to Florida to buy one. They are about $75k fully loaded. I just talked to a couple that drove one all the way to the Arctic ocean. The worst mileage they have gotten is 22 MPG, usually 25 MPG. That is incredible for that big of a vehicle.
  • aaron8680aaron8680 Member Posts: 1
    How do I add automatic transmisson fluid to my 2002 Golf TDI
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I like the VW Rialta but i heard its no longer in production ??

DL
    How do I add automatic transmisson fluid to my 2002 Golf TDI

It's not easy. You need VAGCOM or other VW software to start with. The big question is, why do you want to?
  • tomsawyertomsawyer Member Posts: 12
    I have an 05 Passat TDI GLS. I just bought a pair of Sylvania Silver Star light bulbs and would like to know if anyone has installed these. I once installed them on an MB E430 which was a piece of cake. However, I looked a the Passat and it doesn't appear to be easy. Any advice? Thanks.
  • vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    For those of you who have changed pads and rotors - which brand works best?
    The ceramic-based pads will produce much less black dust on the wheels.

As for rotors, experience says it is not wise to use cheep rotors. The cheep ones can rust, warp and generally need replacing before they actually wear out.

QUESTION: Why are you looking to replace rotors? Are the originals actually worn out?
  • vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    On advice of shop mechanic. 113K on them now.
  • gfg123gfg123 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Passat and it has 55K miles on it. I just had to replace the cam shaft adjusters about 2 months ago (they were covered under warrenty) and I have driven about 7000 miles since without an oil change. I know I should get it changed every 3-5k, but the dealer that sold me the car (used) told me I could go every 7500 miles...now my engine light came on and the dealership told me that i needed to replace my cam adjusters again and i also have to replace the oil pump...and they won't do it under warrenty since I hadn't gotten an oil change yet. I asked if there was sludge in the engine and they said not really...so it couldn't have been that bad right? I smell bad workmanship b/c it was just under warrenty and convienently enough, 2 months later it breaks down again while not under warrenty. Any suggestions?
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    gfg123 dude, my recommendation is to find the right forum for your car. this one is for passat tdi. there was no passat tdi for 2003 though. as for your situation with the oil, it sounds wicked lame of them to refuse to warranty the oil pump becuz you went over the oil change interval by 2k. not sure what to say about that though. personally i could not stand for any car with a 5k oil change interval, i drive way too many miles to deal with that.
  • jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    I want to get a VW Beetle TDI and like gagrice, it's my wife that wants the Beetle and I want the TDI.
    I have been hearing a lot about the reliability issues of VW’s and poor customer service. On some sites, all German auto engineering is in question.
    Does anyone have any hard facts as to the percentage of VW TDI’s sold that have problems? Is it on average with other auto makers? Can anyone tell me of a web site to find reliable information on this question?
    This is not a criticism of anyone or any forum, but if you read the forums long enough it is like watching the evening news: You only hear about the wrecks/problems and not about the other 99.999% who made it home safe/have no problems.
    My only experience with VW service was a broken fuel cover on my 2005 Passat Wagon. It was broken by a gas station attendant in Oregon. I set up an appointment with my local dealer, here in San Diego. They gave me a loaner car because they had it all day to match the paint. They did a great job on the replacement cap. I am more than happy with the car and the VW service for the first 5000 miles. I take it in next week for the 5k mile service. I made sure they had the special oil in stock when I made the appointment. I will post if it is not up to what I think a regular service should be.

PS
    look for TDI clubs on line. They are quite active and have very useful information.
  • scrunchionsscrunchions Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy Jetta Wagon TDI in march and I am interested in hearing about how reliable they are i.e. mechanical difficulties, expensive parts etc. If you have any relevant information I would appreciate your sharing it with me. Thanks.
  • john99john99 Member Posts: 1
    I am the happy owner of a 2005 Passat TDI wagon, except for one item. After two weeks of ownership, I noticed the chrome strips along the middle of the doors on both sides had turned a milky white. I tried a chrome polish with a deoxydant, which removed the white film, but after its first carwash (touchless), the discolorization returned. A friend with a 2004 1.8T wagon has had the same experience. Anyone else?
    The VW dealer here (mid Vancouver Island, BC) has ordered replacement strips under the warranty.
    Just came from my local Tacoma, WA VW dealer and he told me “VW said that they will not accept any orders for cars with TDI engines (from this dealer). What is shipped has been sold and what has been produced and not yet shipped has been sold” :sick:
    He had no idea when they might start taking orders again, but figured it may be close to the end of the year, maybe, big maybe.

I wonder if any of the other auto makers, Honda, Toyota, etc. are looking at this and thinking that maybe there might be some market for a high MPG diesel? :P I guess time will tell.
    Yes, all those automakers HAVE diesel offerings... just not in North America.
  • richlibenrichliben Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, im a new guy to the vw diesel scene and im really looking forward to buying a Golf TDi. Apparently, my dealership says that they dont sell the car due to california emissions.. Does anyone have any tips about how i can just buy one out of state, drive it here, and register it here? I'm sure there are some Golf TDi owners out here in California and I'd really appreciate some help. thanks..
    -Rich
    Good Question richliben, I have been wondering the same thing. WA and OR plan to adopt the Calif. emission laws. How brilliant is that? :mad:
    I too would like to know if there is a way around this.
    Oh yes. The rule is a new (diesel) car can not be registered a has new in ca. BUT if it has 7500 or more miles it can be registered.
    Take the long way home ;)
  • tdiwagonmastertdiwagonmaster Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Jetta TDI wagon and except for regular servicing at 5000 mile intervals (oil and filter) this VW has not cost one cent in the 1 1/2 years and 15500 miles I've had it and consistanly gives me 40-42 mpg in local driving.

I've had a VW TDI Beetle before this and only had to replace tires in the 60000 miles I had that. Traded it because I needed more room. :D
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    What is your reason for changing oil at 5,000 miles in the TDI when VW recommends changing it at 10,000 mile intervals after the first oil change?
    At app 67,000 miles at the 28th month mark, the first unscheduled maintainance. hit. Due to DRL lamps which run pretty much 24/7 during engine operation, the left front headlamp burnt out. R/R the 6 dollar headlamp.

It is hard to compare to many other cars not equipped with 24/7 DRL's. The other DRL equipped vehicle went out app the same number of miles but at the 5 year or 60 mo mark.
  • jwb2jwb2 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me where you can go to get a timing check for my 2005 jetta tdi in the Columbus Ohio area?
    Perhaps somone in the Cincinnati TDI Club would be able to help you.
  • tom70tom70 Member Posts: 1
    you can buy one out of state and register it in cali, but it has to be used to the toon of 7,000 miles or so.
  • anointedhelpanointedhelp Member Posts: 7
    I noticed the same thing on my 2005 Passat TDI Sedan...I really didn't think much of time...I'll check with my dealer about getting the strips replaced or finding a way to remove the discolorization.
  • karelprochazkakarelprochazka Member Posts: 5
    I would like to ask someone, if you have any information about importing Passat TDI from Europe to California. I checked here at DMV and they act like if they register anything, but VW dealership told me that the emissions from Europe must match the requirements here in Cali. Any suggestions, experience?
    Thanks
    I am looking for some advise in what obstacles I will be facing importing VW Passat TDI from Europe to California. I was told that it is only an emission problem, but I wondered if somebody has a live experience. Thanks
    I think if you are in the military and have a car that passes all EPA requirements you can bring it into the states. To register any diesel car in CA it has to be USED and have at least 7500 miles on it. If you are buying over there it looks to me like the prices are higher in many parts of the EU than here in the states. I just read a post where a fellow tried registering a non diesel vehicle in CA and was refused. You have to have your ducks all in a row to get past the DMV in CA. Any new vehicle registered in CA has to have CA emissions equipment installed. Much easier with a used vehicle.
    Thanks for the info. I think I can find a very decent priced car in Europe, or at least there is way more of them than here. I just wondered, what kind of emission equipment must be installed, because if I recall, there is no smog check for the older diesel cars in California, but maybe I am wrong. I guess I will have to get in the line at DMV to pry some informations out of them. I also wondered about the milage here in US in connection with the additional equipment they put on TDI's. I used to have about 51miles into gallon with decent driving and it seems to me that no one here even gets close.
    By the way, what is the best place to find used Passat TDI Wagon here in US?
    :) Thanks
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Far more complicated than emissions. A European spec model doesn't meet DOT standards. When I came back from FRG in mid 80's lights, glass, safety items all have to get traded out by a certified shop. There were only a few and for an Audi 200T it was about 5K. I suspect a lot more these days - I'm not even sure what the grey-market is anymore. Probably only worthwhile for a collector item. Unless you have a title you will be amazed at the run around to get it registered.
  • daveg123456daveg123456 Member Posts: 2
    I am seeking some advice concerning an ongoing problem with what the dealer is telling me is a carbon build up on the throttle. This will be the third time the dealer has had my 2002 Jetta TDI in the 55,00 miles that I have put on the car. The first time, approximately a year ago, they replaced a glow plug. A week to the day later the same thing happened, the car would turn over but not start. This time they told me it was the carbon build up on the throttle that was causing the problem. Yesterday morning the same thing happended. The dealer suggested that the only solution is to replace the fuel filter every 20,000 miles. Are there any other steps I can take, additives, etc, that would help to eliminate this problem? Will the new low sulphur content fuel in 2006 take care of the problem? Thanks for any help that you can provide.
    Technically the carbon build up is in the intake manifold. Once the build up starts, the only way is to physically take it apart and clean it out.

The real culprit is high sulfur diesel fuel, which in theory should abate the structural problem when they finally enact the 2006 low sulfur fuels standard. Probably sometime in 2008 !!? :) CA uses a bit lower sulfur fuel so the problem is not as acute in CA diesel run cars as in the other 49 states.

The next thing you can do to slow down the build up process is to get the EGR modification. There are also after market EGR filters but you might want to research this a bit better to see if it meets your comfort level.

While it is the oem recommendation to change out the expensive fuel filter at 20k miles I have been on a 65,000 mile fuel filter interval. I use an additive Primrose 405/c and have not experienced either the carbon build up or fuel problems due to fuel filter issues, such as: hesitation, water build up, dirty injectors, algae, etc.

Lastly there is some anecdotal evidence that running the TDI engine at too low an rpm predisposes an engine to this carbon build up condition. Might that be true in your case?

Good luck! Let us know how you make out!
    Thinking out loud here.....just trying to figure out how a glow plug, carbon build-up on the throttle(?), and fuel filters are all diagnosis to the same no-start symptom.

Me thinks you have crappydealeritus.

Does the car start or do you have it towed in? Can the dealer reproduce the problem? I think this dealer is just throwing parts at it and when it starts he assumes all is good.
  • daveg123456daveg123456 Member Posts: 2
    I agree with the crappydealeritus diagnosis. My girlfriend has my car in Rhode Island but I am in Maryland (long story) so my (her) options are limited.

The car has to be towed. I'm not sure what the dealership is doing to diagnose the problem. I think you are right with your observation that they are just grasping at straws and really aren't sure what the issue may be. My thinking is that this will be the last time I have these people work on the car. My goal is to find someone who knows diesels better than this dealership. I will try the Primrose 40S/C additive suggested in another email and post another message looking for a mechanic in RI. Thanks.