Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• sharkurasharkura Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to figure out the MP3 playlist format for my factory audio in my 2006 TDI.

My test CD has 96 MP3 files, all in the root directory. The MP3s play just fine.

I created 3 different playlists on the CD, also in the root directory. The playlists are text files with an M3U extension. Each has a different relative path/file name convention specifying the MP3 files. The first assumes that . (dot) is the current/root directory, and uses a backslash as a separator (Windows). The second assumes that . (dot) is the current/root directory, and uses a forward slash as a separator (Unix). The third does not use a path component, but simply lists the file name.

1) .\fileName.mp3
    2) ./fileName.mp3
    3) fileName.mp3

When I select any of the test playlists, the player says it is reading a playlist, tries to read the first title, then moves on, either to the next playlist, or to the folder. If the next item is a playlist from the 3 test playlists, it repeats this ... tries to read, then moves on.

The manual does not address playlist formats.

I used the forum search with keywords MP3, playlist, and format, but the search found no matches.

Can anyone help me with this?

Richard
  • csmcsm Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the info on the cord.

So....you mean that until it reaches 10F you do not plug the heater in directly to the outlet, and you use the timer instead - set to come on 2-3 hrs before, or do you mean that you do not use the TDI heater until it is 10F or below? This info is helpful. I have a carport, and I noticed that my lights in the carport dimmed for an instant when the heater was plugged in, so I figured that it might be using some power.

I have been looking everywhere for a plug cover as well, and can't seem to locate one. I didn't notice until I happened to go back to the TDI website that they offer on for $3. I didn't see that when I ordered my heater last May. I may have to get one from them. Do you know of any other sources.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Sorry for the confusion....Perhaps this is easier to understand;
    I ALWAYS use timer.... but I do not even start plugging in until 10F or below.

On a past car, I used to plug into power when I got home from work and leave plugged in til morning. (I could HEAR the antifreeze boiling when I plugged in hot engine)

I noticied 2 things by doing this;
    1)Electric bill went way up
    2)Heater burned out 1/2 way thru the winter.
    (then electric bill went back down ;-) )

I orderd the plug-cover that TDI-heater offers. I like the fact that it has 3 distinct-seperate holes in it (one for each prong) This helps keep the roadsalt off the prongs and out of my extension cord end.
    gottcha! thanks. I guess that I will break down and order one from the TDI heater site. It burns me that I did not notice it as an option when I ordered my heater last May. I could have saved the shipping. I went to two different places just today - the last two that I could think of around here that would have the possibility of carrying this kind of item. No one seems to have any idea what one is - let alone have one. Then again I might just make my own from a female end....hummmmm. :)
  • rdensslenrdensslen Member Posts: 3
    this is my first attempt at posting a message... sorry if i am stepping on toes. (please point me in the right direction, if necessary).

my new jetta tdi just went up in flames last week... it appears to have occured due to an electrical problem under the hood. two days before it caught on fire it started to run sluggish. the only thing i did different that day was to run it in economy mode (without ac). anybody else have anything similar? vw is not fessing up to anything and is only offering a full refund on my purchase. i have owned the car for just five months.

any info would be appreciated.
    Take the money.... obviouslty they are trying to "hide" somthing by offering you a full-refund after 5 months.

Question: did it burn up WHILE you were driving... or while parked?

I have seen several photos of VWs that mysteriously went up in flames while parked.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL NHTSA Recall ID Number: 04V586000
    Recall Date: DEC 15, 2004
    Component: FUEL SYSTEM, DIESEL
    Potential Units Affected: 19284
    Summary: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE HIGH PRESSURE DIESEL PUMPS WERE PRODUCED WITH AN IMPROPER FASTENER, WHICH COULD ALLOW DIESEL FUEL TO ESCAPE FROM THE PUMP.
    Consequence: FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE MAY LEAD TO A FIRE.
    Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DIESEL PUMP. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 8, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT VOLKSWAGEN AT 1-800-822-8987.
    Notes: VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC, VY

I'm not sure if the above was the A4 or A5 body style.

On some of the A4 VW's the abs sensor was getting very hot when parked and there were reports of fires.

If it were me, I'd ask for a replacement vehicle and to be compensated for the cost of tax and licensing the new replacement vehicle.
  • rdensslenrdensslen Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the info... i would like to see any pictures you have :lemon:
    Can anyone give me advise on how to drain the water seperator. Where is it at and how do I do it? Also, How do you check the timing belt? These are maintanence issues that I want to be able to do myself if possibe.

Also, FYI - anyone looking for a cheap [lug cover for your TDI heater, a two prong to three prong adaptor from Walmart works great and you can buy a package of two for 97 cents. These work great and slip in the small area on the drivers side very easily. You can use the green ground strip as an attachment point so as not to lose it. You can easily bend the two brass prongs back and forth until they break off - at the base.

Thanks,

Charles in Indiana
    Here are a bunch of video clips that show several maintenance tasks on TDI.

http://www.cincitdi.com/richc/

Check out the "fuel filter chage" for the water-seperator on the bottom of the fuel-filter (NOTE: it is not required to remove the hoses from fuel-filter just to drain the water.)
  • acmcomputersacmcomputers Member Posts: 1
    Hi James,

I am having IDENTICAL problems that you've described! I too live in the UK and over the last few weeks, have found the amount of black smoke coming out the exhaust has got worse and worse. Similarly, there is a noticeable loss in power when accelerating, and when the car does regain power, the smoke really starts bellowing out the back! I'd really appreciate if you could let me know the outcome of your recent service/repair work.

Many thanks

Andrew
  • nugulusnugulus Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Since about two months ago, I have to add engine coolent once in a few days, noticing the left most temperature sign blinking. I didn't see any water leaking to the ground.
    What could be the possible reason?

Jun Zhang
    Suspect internal leak within the cooled EGR unit. There have been several instances of internal coolant leakinge within the cooled EGR unit. I beleive that some folks found that VW covered replacment costs.
  • missonyxmissonyx Member Posts: 1
    I am going through that problem now, only it got to the point of the MIL being continually lit, and the dealer says that there is no coolant leak, and I need to replace the EGR at $472 for the part, i have a 2004 TDI.
    Any advice to get the dealer to replace at no cost to me?
  • dieselgirldieselgirl Member Posts: 6
    I came across a forum in the "Subscribe ONLY" section of Gary North's Newsletter - http://www.garynorth.com/

Does ANYONE KNOW how to do this? What are they talking about? I don't subscribe, so I don't have the rest of the info, I figured if it exists, THIS would be the place to find the answer!

Anyway, here's the teaser from the above website...

"How to Get 90 Miles to the Gallon in a Diesel Jetta. It's a Shame That This Is Illegal. You Must Not Do This! It Will Void Your Warranty.
    Gary North
    You don't really want to know about this. The government doesn't want you to know. In any case, it would not work if more than a few people locally in your community found out about this unscrupulous practice. But it can be done. . . . keep reading"

Of course you have to be a subscriber to keep reading! Any comments?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Scam

Nobody wants you to find out how to turn lead into gold either...

But they sure know how to make stuff like this SOUND enticing.
  • cdnvw02cdnvw02 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all!! New to the group.. Has anyone has had any up-shifting problems with auto trans from 1-2 ?? It seems to rev and then harsh engaugement?! I have taken to dealer several times, they cannot duplicate the concern.. and seem to be useless right now. I have a 2002 GOLF TDI with about 141,000 kms on it. Other than that and the normal electrical problems .. it runs great!

Any suggestions or related problems?

Thanks in advance!

Jay
  • dieselgirldieselgirl Member Posts: 6
    LOL! I WANT to believe... :shades:
  • biofuelsbiofuels Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a Beetle convertible w/ a TDI engine ..... I was told that VW does not manufacture a convertible w/ the TDI engine.

What is up w/ that? Has anyone heard this before?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    That is my understanding also. At least ones that are able to make it to the shores of USA. :(
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    When ULSD is everywhere they may bring all the diesels in the line. I would go for the V6 Touareg TDI.
  • lauren_seatonlauren_seaton Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,
    I am a new member. I am currently shopping for something really cool for my father for Christmas. He is the very proud new owner of a 2005 Golf TDI. I am thinking neat accessories, or I am open to suggestions. Let me know if any of you have acquired anything neat as a TDI owner. I was even looking for books on TDI's. Something helpful maybe?
    Let me know! Thanks!
    Wow, there are a lot of accessories! (shared obviously with gasser Golf's) . If he is at all handy or just wants to have the 411 on the new vehicle, might I recommend that model years' CD-Bentley's or wait till the hard back Bentley's comes out. Since some TDI related stuff can cost an arm and a leg on the open and especially dealer markets, getting hooked up with some internet TDI retailers/wholesalers is pretty important. So there are numerous links on www.TDICLUB.com. Somethings that come to mind are: (yes I know: NOT SEXY) 10 pack cse of cartridge oil filters ($5/6 each) . OIL, Motul or ELF SPECIFIC for his model year!! VW specified oil $4/6 dollars a quart each). (look in his owners manual for the VW 505.01 or WHATEVER is his specification). Then get slug of it, like 3/4 gals. :)
  • gorsky1gorsky1 Member Posts: 1
    I finally got my TDI, but I've already had a bit of trouble. I want to believe that it was just a fluke incident but I'm still interested in any input from my fellow drivers.
    I bought an '03 Jetta TDI GLS, its got 26,000 miles. I recently tried to start it and it immediately fired and then immediately stopped. This wen on for approx. 20 turns of the ignition before it finally started and ran fine. It then happened 2 more time in the same day. I was wondering if it had anything to do with cold weather (upper 30's), or the fact that it sat for a week while we were on vacation. I know a bit about autos, but diesels are a bit foreign to me.
    What you describe sounds like the immobilizer kicking in. (If the immobilizer "senses" the wrong key is stuck in the ignition, it will immedeately kill the engine after starting)

Does it do the same thing with either of the other 2 keys? (1 with fob -- other is parking-attendant key)

If not, then change the battery in the keyfob of the key that exibits the problem. If yes, assume that console (where the immobilizer transciver is) may need further attention.

Also consider "re-training" the car to sense the correct keys.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    hi Lauren - how about a set of front MONSTER MATS for your pops' TDI? the rear mats just slide around unless you drill. or how about a couple of TDI oil filters hanging from the tree!? a TDI fuel filter would be too heavy.
    maybe a case of Motul 505.01 oil under the tree, or whichever 505.01 you can find!
    cheers & merry Christmas!!
    I agree... "monster mats" are very easy to install (the "locator pegs" should already be in the car and ready to go)

Front mudflaps are also pretty easy to install. (rear mudflaps require removing rear tires and perhaps some drilling)

Protective film for the paint/headlights is a GREAT addition to eliminate stonechips and headlight scratches. (these are best applied BEFORE the chips start showing up.)

http://www.invinca-shield.com/
    http://www.xpel.com/products/default.asp
  • deaner14deaner14 Member Posts: 40
    :surprise: I've seen posted here and other places that some have their used oil analyzed. Where can you get this done? (where do I look in the phone book, etc).

BTW, I'm in San Antonio if there's a location close by.

Thanks
    Most Oil Analysis is done via the mail. There are several companies that offer this service. They send you a container and you put some oil in it and send it back to them.

To find out more about it:

1)Open a web browser
    2)navigate to www.alltheweb.com (a search engine)
    3)Enter "Oil Analysis" (INCLUDING the double quotes so it searches for the exact phrase)

Read all about it.
  • gfrisbeegfrisbee Member Posts: 1
    I am proud owner of a 06 Jetta TDI. I now have 3K miles on it and it is a dream to drive. The DSG tranny is wonderful. I'm not happy with the outside rearview mirrors, they are quite small and the high mount stop light washes the rear window in light making it difficult to back down a steep driveway such as mine as see anything to the rear. Small things, I know.

I intend to perform routine maintenance myself and have a few questions. While I have considerable experience with Hondas, Chevys and Fords, this is my first modern VW. Germans often do things differently. The oil filter cap has a clockwise arrow on top. From this ,I assume the threads are left hand. Right or wrong? This may sound silly but is the sump drain bolt right hand or left hand? Sometimes engineers can be too clever. Lastly, what is wrong with a spin on oil filter?
    1. No, left to unscrew it, counter clock wise 2. Sump drain bolt, left to unscrews it, counter clock wise 3. it is a cartridge type filter media. So you dont throw a steel canister away that thats eons to break down

Lastly it might be worth your while to get either the CD Bentley's techincal manual or hard copy and/or both.
  • ajbeetleajbeetle Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am new to this forum, and have just read about this "sooting" problem. I own a 2003 New Beetle TDI, and really love this car. At around 30,000 miles it started puffing out a lot of smoke, and the following day of this, would not start. I had it towed to the dealer, luckily everything was still under warranty, so no cost to me, and the service mechanic told me that the EGR valve was clogged up, and recommended I use the additive.

I was hoping you could explain the EGR mod, or where I could find more info about, because now at 55,000 miles my TDI has the same problem, but this time my son-in-law who is a truck diesel mechanic, took the hose loose from the EGR and shutter, and we found it extremely clogged up. We used carburator cleaner and cleaned it up fairly good, the shutter valve was opening and closing much better, but it looks like there is a procedure to do this on a regular basis?

I appreciate any advice.
    With the minimal cleaning you did -- you have not touched the "tip of the iceburg". The ENTIRE INTAKE MANIFOLD is plugged up and needs to be removed and cleaned.

You also should consider changing your driving habits. It is well known that TDI engine does not like to be "babied". Light throttle usage actually increases the intake-sooting problem. It is recommended to use FULL THROTTLE ACCELLERATION at least once a week to keep things cleaned out. You do not have to go "fast" or break any laws... just ACCELLERATE quickly.

As for the "EGR Mod" , you need access to VAG-COM and need to change a setting in the computer.

Also look into other "Mods" that folks have been doing to reduce/eliminate intake clogging. The "Elephant hose mod" and variations on that theme are all good for reducing the amount of oil that gets sucked into the intake-manifold.

Also, review the brand of oil you are using. (it also has an effect)

There is literally HOURS (perhaps weeks) of reading related to intake-clogging and how to manage it. Edmunds new rules prohibit me from specificaly telling you how to get at the information....Search the web for details.
    Can anyone give me any info as to where I can purchase Mobil Delvac motor oil for my '03 TDI? I live in Indiana, and can you give me any help as to where to go for best price also?

Thanks!
    Most Wallymarts carry "Mobil1 Truck&SUV 5W40" it meets all lubrication specifications for your 2003 TDI. Most folks beleive it to be re-packaged Delvac1.

Feel free to visit the MOBIL website and compare the specifications of "Delvac1 5W40" against "Mobil1 Truck&SUV 5W40". If you find any differences, please let us know.
  • wrightflyerwrightflyer Member Posts: 9
    I too have a 06 TDI and am having the rear window "wash out". Took to dealer with no help. Does anyone else have this?
  • wrightflyerwrightflyer Member Posts: 9
    What is the best fuel additive? Any advice on a clean way to use the stuff?
    thanks so much! I will check out that web site, and Walmart
    I just bought the fuel additive listed on this site - white bottle - at walmart. Can't remember the name right now, but browse back several pages and you will find several things about it - but - a clean way to use it....that's something that I am trying to figure out. I purchased a small funnel that had a twist-on lid at both ends. I marked it at the 3.2 oz mark (to treat 10 gal) and my thinking was to keep this and the additive in my trunk. I used it for the first time last week, and I learned some things quickly. that stuff stinks as bad or worse than diesel fuel, and the funnel, as well as the bottle, stunk the trunk up - even with the lids on it. I couldn't wait to get home and get it out of the car. I thought that I could prepare before hand by filling the funnel at home and having it ready to go, but the funnel is not air tight and has no gaskets, so it tends to leak. I may use a little bottle to carry some of the additive in which is air tight and take the funnel in a zip lock bag when I need to fill up.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    You have to be careful regarding the your container's plastic compound. Power Service will eat through many plastics. I bought an 8 oz. bottle of STP diesel fuel treatment, used it once, and since have measured the amount of diesel fuel additive I need into the STP bottle. It's shape is fine for pouring without spills. Diesel fuel additives are VERY flammable. I only carry the bottle in my rig when I'm on the way to refuel.
  • shaolingolfershaolingolfer Member Posts: 28
    According to some other "site", Power Service and Standyne ae the most popular fuel additives to TDI. After I did my research, I decided to use Standyne on my new 2006 TDI on every refuel. I bought a whole case.
    Also using biodiesel (B5,B10,B20) will also help to keep your car intake cleaner.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    You can get some small squirt bottles and fill them ahead of time. Squirt one in when you fill-up and toss it or re-use. I used to put the additives in at every fill-up and this was my routine. I'm not a huge additive fan anymore, I just use the best fuel I can find and keep some powerservice on-board in case I'm forced to fuel somewhere I don't know/trust the fuel to be treated properly for gelling. Just make sure the plastic containers are made out of the right kind of plastic to handle the additive. I forget which type of plastic you want, but a little research should do the trick.
    I too contemplated many ways to "dispense" a measured amount of additive at each fillup. I wanted to eliminate the "smellyness" and possible spillage of additive in vehicle.

I ended up with this:

1) purchase supply of uncoated paper cups. (500-count 8oz will last the life of your TDI)
    2)Carry about 15 cups in trunk.
    3)Also carry 1qt container of additive IN ORIGINAL CONTAINER.
    4) At each fillup, shape paper cup into spout, fill cup to about 6oz, pour into fueltank then toss cup in trash.
    5)Also carry supply of wet-wipes to clean hands of any smelly residue after completing.

The 1qt container of additive and cups are inside a sealed container. (double sealed) This fits nicely into the "cubby" in the trunk.

The idea of trying to pre-measure additive into some other container, syringe or other device always has the drawback of having to deal with the smelly residue that will remain. It is obvious that the ONLY real way to eliminate that possibility is to simply NOT CARRY anything that may have additive residue on it.
  • shaolingolfershaolingolfer Member Posts: 28
    On the pint size standyne (32 oz). It clearly has mark at every 8 oz interval and 8 oz will probably treat 1 tank (14 gallons) of diesel. So you don't really has to carry any cup, small bottle, etc. :)
    If you do the math -- it is more like 6oz that will treat one tank on the TDI. 80z will not hurt... but use up the additive faster.

Besides... I know that I will be driving my TDI for at leat 150K miles... why would I want to purchase additive by the quart? I get mine at Wallmart inthe larger containers.
  • jpurselljpursell Member Posts: 1
    There is no valve on the bottom of the fuel filter to drain the water. Dealer told me I need to vacuum water out of the top (remove hex screw on top of housing) Looked like an air bleed to me. I tried to do this with no success. Any help
    Also should I definitly be using a fuel additive - I read a lot about intake clogging. Any particular brand?
  • rsenger1rsenger1 Member Posts: 4
    I just had the Timing belt break on my 99 Jetta TDI. When I removed the intake it was almost completely clogged throughout. Should not have babied it I guess. The least of my problems though. 4 bent exhaust and 1 intake valve. Camshaft bent also. Apparently my head has 8 mm valves, not the normal 7 mm. The VW dealer says I can not get 8 mm valves and will have to replace all valves and guides to upgrade to 7 mm. Anyone heard of this before, or know know of an aftermarket source for valves?
  • chris8fishchris8fish Member Posts: 1
    Hi- I have a 2001 jetta TDI. When starting the car, the glow plug light comes on very quickly (for about 1-2 seconds) then goes off- no matter how cold or hot it is. The check engine light is not on. I Tried changing the temperature sensor and the glow plug relay- but that did not fix the problem. When the temperature sensor is unplugged, the glow plugs come on for about 15 seconds and the car starts fine. Has anyone run into this problem, or know how to fix it?
    Having timing belt break is very bad news (as you have discovered.) Not only will you have bent/broken valves.... do not forget that it is the PISTONS that hit the valves so the tops of them need to be very carefully inspected. Damaged pistons are a possibility.

I am courious about your TB breakage.... How many miles (and what kind of xmission) does your 99 Jetta TDI have on it?

To answer your question, Unless you have utmost trust that whoever rebuilds your head can do a superb job, consider just replacing the head with a rebuilt one. It will bolt right on and you should be back on the road much quicker. (your old head may have trade-in value)

Also do some searching on the internet for "TDI" and you will find a wealth of info. including a source for rebuilt TDI heads.
    I am not clear what your "problem" is. It is normal for the GP light to not stay on very long unless the ambient temp is pretty cold.

Are you suggesting at when the ambient temp. is 20F, that your GP light is behaving like this?

As for your apparent starting issue (which you only alluded to) Check all 4 GPs for continunity. Also check the the GP harness for corrosion at the connectors.

It is also a good idea to have your IQ checked. (Injection Quality). It is the #1 problem when TDI does not start well.