Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Based on parts available at www.worldimpex.com, it appears all the 4cyl's (gas/diesel) have the same compressor. V6 is different. I'd recommend buying from them as they will know what to send you more than anyone (maybe a dealer, but that's questionable at best!). Their price is probably better as well. They have four to pick from, $275-$625. They could probably tell you what the difference was more than I could!
  • quietstickquietstick Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new here. I bought an '04 TDI beetle. We simply love it!! I drive a ton and living in TX nothing is very convenient so driving is a must. My question is where can I get an oil change other than the dealership. (not convenient and VERY expensive $80 for an oil change!!)
    Does Jiffy Lube do this, and would anyone have experiences with them?
    I'm considering getting the equipment to do this myself but am lazy during 100 degree heat.
    Thanks.
    I wouldn't trust Jiffy Lube with last nights table scraps. If you're too lazy to do the work, I would look for a reputable mechanic, even better if you can find one that specializes in foreign brands. There's nothing difficult about changing the oil on a TDI. I'd even say it's easier due to the easy access to the filter and if you use a top-sider you don't even have to crawl underneath. Wait until the sun goes down!

Just make sure you or the mechanic uses the proper oil that is spec'd in your owners manual. The dealers aren't batting 1000 at this, so I doubt a independant would do much better until you tell them it has specific requirements.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    i do use a trusted quick-oil-change place for my TDI oil changes sometimes. last time i did that was with a 2003 jetta - naturally i supplied compliant oil (Shell Rotella-T) since none of the valvoline oils met 505.00 spec.
    i have not yet used the quick-oil-change place for either of my PD TDIs but might plan to do so - only for one of the oilchanges that does not call for fuel-filter-swap too.
  • fletcherffletcherf Member Posts: 1
    I am a rookie vw,tdi owner. Bought it with 600 miles on it. It now has 5000. Lovin it. What oil and filter should I use. Ive heard to use mobile one syn. any help out there? also, didnt know I was suppose to be "breakin it in," what hould i do? thanks
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    most Mobil1 oils are NOT suitable for TDI.

First of all, you need to know which TDI engine you have... then we can talk about what oil you should be using.
  • bfredbfred Member Posts: 4
    has anyone had experience with the dealer "rustproofing" that involves an electrode monitor? Of course, we always think these dealer gimmicks you hear when you buy the car are just that--any ideas--sounds like it might work--living in Nova Scotia we gets lots of salt in the winter, etc., so anything might help. thanks
  • bfredbfred Member Posts: 4
    thanks to both of you--i will give those a try. bfred
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    rustproofing is a total scam. avoid it without exception.
    There is no need to "rustproof" a Volkswagen. All VWs come from the factory with a galvanoic dipped coating that makes it nearly rustproof. You wont find that on any other vehicle in this price range.

That is why VW offers the 12-year/unlimited milage corrosion warantee.
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    I brought my '05 Passat TDI to the local dealer for a 20K service. I specifically asked that they note on the invoice that the oil change was 505.01 compliant. For oil, they used "Volkswagon oil - VAG-052-167-A2". Who makes this stuff for VW??

They also added an oil additive (BG 110 - BG MOA® see description below) and Fuel additive (BG 208 - BG 44K® Power Enhancer™ see description below). I refused to pay for these items ($30.90) as i think they are a waste of money and also fear they may void the warranty. Any thoughts?

BG MOA® prevents oxidation and thickening of engine oil under even the most severe stop-and-go, high temperature driving conditions. It fortifies all qualities of engine oil to provide superior long-lasting engine protection and helps maintain optimum engine performance. BG MOA® keeps piston ring belts, hydraulic lifters and other engine components clean to help extend engine life and reduce costs of operation. It is compatible with both synthetic and petroleum-base oils. The Thin Film Oxidation Uptake Test (TFOUT), ASTM Test Method D4742, proves BG MOA’s remarkable resistance to oxidation by more than 200% longer than six major brands of SL quality oil. At the conclusion of the API Sequence IIIF Engine Test‚ a major brand, high-quality reference oil barely passed the 80-hour test with a viscosity increase of 255 percent. At 80 hours, another brand of oil fortified with BG MOA® had a viscosity increase of only 57 percent. At the conclusion of the triple-length, 240-hour test, it was still well within the viscosity limits with an increase of only 198 percent.

BG 44K® Power Enhancer™ safely, rapidly and thoroughly removes engine deposits in combustion chambers, intake manifolds, ports and on valves. It restores flow in fuel injectors and cleans the entire fuel system. BG 44K® Power Enhancer™ improves fuel economy and reduces exhaust emissions. It actually restores that “like new” driveability to an engine’s performance and keeps it running better, longer and more efficiently. Add one can or bottle to fuel tank at fill up. NOTE: After clean-up with BG 44K® Power Enhancer,™ regular use of BG Supercharge®II‚ Part No. 202‚ in gasoline engines or BG Diesel Fuel Conditioner with DPL‚ Part No. 2276‚ in diesel engines will prevent deposits from forming in the fuel system and upper engine for maximum driveability and fuel economy. Part No. 208 11 oz. can
  • airedadairedad Member Posts: 5
    Yesterday I took delivery on a new 2006 Jetta TDI (and it took a while to find what I wanted ... but that's another story). While I have previously owned a diesel, that was a looooooong time ago and things are somewhat different. I did my homework and have read everything I could find, but still have a couple of questions.

Fuel additives - I realize that an additive such as the Amisoil cetane boost is needed with fill-ups, I haven't had much luck finding them in the Atlanta area (OK, I tried 3 places and decided to write the list). Is there any general consensus on which one is best and possibly the easiest way to find it?

My other question is about oil changes. Although what I have read specified oil changes every 10K miles, the dealer is recommending that the oil be changed every 5K miles. While this is not a problem for now (to "make" the deal when the wrong color car came in, I got 'free' oil changes every 5K miles through 50K miles), I am wondering whether this is dealer overkill or a good practice.

Great car to drive - a lot more fun than the 2 Honda's I was looking at, BTW.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Unless your dealer can show you where these additives are required via a TSB or other VW publication, then you have every right to refuse payment.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Changing the oil more frenquently than what VW recommends is a waste of your $$ and a waste of the envrionment. Dont forget that the FIRST OCI (Oil Change Interval) is NOT 10,000 miles.

It has been shown (by folks that have their oil tested regularly) that more wear actually occours immedeatly after an oil-change. It has also been shown that the oil could be run for 15,000 miles with no additional wear to the engine.

This means that the recomended 10,000 mile OCI should not be done more frenquently. It only puts more $$ into the pockets of the folks doing the oil change.

As for FUEL additives, for a diesel engine, there is no doubt that they are benifetial. The added lubricant for the expensive fuel pump is reason-enough alone. The additional MPG and quieter running are also worthwhile.

I carry fuel additive in my trunk (double sealed within a plastic container) I also carry a supply of 8oz paper cups so I can measure out 6oz for the fueltank and toss the stinky cup in the trash.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    I've been using the Stanadyne Performance Formula year around for the past year. Using one formula year around seems easier than using the white bottle or grey bottle additives sold at Walmart. Plus, I get friendly service at the Stanadyne distributor and do not have to enter Walmart once or twice a year.

Here is a link for more information. There is also a dealer locator link on the page if you are interested.

http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/ppt_dfa.asp
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    (Sorry if this is a repost)

for those of us that are "Acronymicly" :P challenged like me, ULSD stands for Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel.

I found this link about ULSD.

Basically, ULSD is diesel fuel that only has about 5% sulfer which is down from the 97% that we have. My only concern with my new interest in diesel is older cars (and newer ones alike) that are used to running on the current diesel. I'm wondering if the vehicle will still function the same with ULSD. Is it like going from 91octane gas to 87octane or vice versa? :confuse: :confuse:
    The "Octane" of gasoline has no comparison on "Cetane" used to measure Diesel fuel. In fact, they are closer to being opposates than synonyms. (Higher "Octane" in gasoline means LOWER flashpoint ---- Higher "Cetane" in diesel means more energy available in the fuel)

In reference to ULSD and older Diesel engines.... the sulfer *may* have offered some lubrication qualities which were benifitial to the high-pressure fuelpump.

The ULSD fuel also has specifications about lubrication-quality that is INTENDED to lubricate the high-pressure fuelpump.

Also, the reduction of sulfer in the ULSD will BENIFET the older TDI engines by reducing combustion deposits.
    While your points regarding Diesel fuel and Cetane are points I won't even consider challenging, I must take exception to the statement: "Higher "Octane" in gasoline means LOWER flashpoint..."

Sorry, it means nothing of the sort. ALL gasolines have roughly the same flash point (typically between -46 and -50 degrees centigrade, varying by the manufacturer NOT fuel grade). What the Octane number does signify is any given fuels' "Anti-Knock" capabilities. Said another way, the higher the octane, the slower the burn rate.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Your perception of Octane is only one-sided.... the way that higher octane reduces "knocking" or "pre ignition" is by LOWERING THE FLASHPOINT so that the FA mixture does not spontainiously ignite before the sparkplug fires it.

Using too low an octane in a high-compression or turbocharged engine can pre-ignite and punch holes in pistons. This is because the FA mixture will tend top ignite too soon due to too LOW a flashpoint when it is under pressure.

The "slower burning" is also a measure of octane....but that gets into the 2 different ways of measuring octane and how they are averaged together to give us the "pump octane" we typically see labelled on the gas pumps.

Here is a LINK to help you understand octane.
    While I haven't read your link yet (I'm very well aware of how Octane ratings are calculated and how fuels are mixed to yield different octane ratings), I will however look at it to see if it contains anything of substance after I finish this post. In the mean time, I think you need to look at the definition of "Flash Point":

The flash point of a flammable liquid is the lowest temperature at which it can form an ignitable mixture with air (assuming an ignition source such as a spark from a spark plug). At this temperature the vapor may cease to burn when the source of ignition is removed.

Looked at another way, gasoline that is nearing its flash point is usually so cold that that’s about all it can do, “Flash”. Cause a spark plug to “Spark” in close proximity with gasoline that is near its flash point and you will get a brief “flash” and then the flame will simply extinguish itself.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, however, I believe the term you are searching for is the "Autoignition Temperature" (the temperature at which a properly mixed and compressed air and fuel charge will self ignite) which is defined as the following:

The autoignition temperature, or the ignition temperature of a substance is the lowest temperature at which a chemical will spontaneously ignite in a normal atmosphere, without an external source of ignition, such as a flame or spark. This temperature is required to supply the activation energy needed for combustion. The temperature at which a chemical will detonate decreases as the pressure increases or oxygen concentration increases (to a point after which the flame front will not be able to propagate itself). This term is usually applied to a combustible fuel mixture under some form of pressure (i.e. compression or turbine boost).

FWIW, the "Flash Point" of all grades of automotive gasoline is generally considered to be about -46 degrees Celsius while the "Autoignition Temperature" is generally considered to be nearly 300 degrees Celsius higher, somewhere around 246 degrees Celsius.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Nope, no Earth shattering revelations in that article. That having been said, reading it just confirmed my suspicion that you do in fact understand the process and had simply chosen an incorrect term to define what it was that you were trying to say. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • new2dieselnew2diesel Member Posts: 148
    I just bought a new 205 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport (Diesel)with tow package in October. I now have 19,000 on it and it runs very well. I would like to talk to anyone that is interested in trading their 05 or 06 VW TDI for this vehicle. It has full 4 wheel drive (trail rated) and can tow 3500 lbs. These vehicles are very peppy and great to drive. I thought I needed to be able to tow but I really don't. These vehicles get the best mileage of any true 4 wheel drive vehicle. I would prefer a wagon but will consider other trades. Send me an email if you are interested.
    Thanks. :)
    Try autotrader.com I put up the advanced search. All you have to do is fill in the blanks. O and under fuel, make sure you put diesel instead of alternative. Make sure you push the bubble for sedan (or wagon if'd like a wagon) so only jettas or possibly the old passat shows up. :) Hey it so specific, it might find you the car you want down to the nitty gritty. :shades:
    I got my 06 Jetta TDI on Saturday, and this is the first diesel I have had since ... well it feels like millenia ago ... (OK, the last time I bought diesel was in 1969 - things have changed just a bit).

It's a tad hard to find in my local area (just my luck) but I have now found about 10 stations within a few miles of my normal commute.

However, I also note that several "brands" (primarily Shell) have a common pump and hose for gas (reg, mid-grade, hi-test) and diesel. Should I worry about contamination of the diesel if I buy there?

Also, NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THE STATIONS has the pumps labeled as to what type of diesel it is. The are all marked simply "Diesel". Nor could the managers at the 5 stations I asked tell me. While I am sure it couldn't possibly be ULSD or Bio-diesel (they'd trumpet that loudly), there's no way to tell if it is LSD (500ppm, 150ppm, etc. ad nauseum), #2, or for that matter kerosene or ... well, you can tell it isn't diesel #3 (that thick stuff that almost looks like tar). Two of the managers even went to the invoice and checked, but everything was marked simply "diesel".

Any suggestions on this one - I mean is it safe to assume it is #2 or ... well you get the picture. Suggestions?

Thanks
    Airedad
    Re-reading the service booklet that came with my Jetta, I discovered that VW is now recommending the oil and filter be changed every 5K miles. This seems odd as the oil should go 10-15Kmiles (although the filter needs changing more frequently than that of course).

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this one.
    Ok as i am writing this, ULSD is on the way to many of our local gas stations!!

The bad news is that Vw is dropping the Jetta TDI for 2007 :(. The good news is that "i just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by selling my lambo, porsche and Nsx" :blush: j/k (about the exotics)

Seriously, the good news is that Vw is building a NEW 2.0liter diesel likely to be called CDI or CRD for 2008. I found that here on edmunds :)
    I have never seen diesel and gasoline sold from the same pump AND hose. Look closer. In New England, in an 8 pump station, they may have diesel avaiable at only one pump. But it has 2 hoses - one for gas and one dedicated to diesel fuel.

I always wondered about the amount of fuel left in the hose. If I pay for hi-test, but get half a gallon of regular at 20 cents less, that is a rip-off. If you think it is insignificant, a local deli recently got fined by the state for not subtracting the weight of the piece of plastic that comes under the meat! Add up the "extra" price in already inflated gasoline!
    You can just assume it's #2 diesel, that's a given. How high is the sulphur? You'd have to find where they buy their diesel and then ask the distributor. Those are the folks that know about fuels, not the guy working the counter at the station. I went to a couple fuel depots and ask about their diesel. BP has a product call "diesel supreme" that is nearly ULSD here in the midwest. It's more expensive, but is a higher cetane, 15ppm sulphur, low aromatic fuel. Doesn't smell nearly as strong as diesel and burns quieter. It's also clear, almost looks like Sprite. That's about the only way to know. FWIW, I think it's more important to buy from stations that turn-over a lot of fuel. The small stations that don't move much diesel are more likely to have growth/water in the fuel which will cause more problems than anything.

As to the oil changes....I obviously can't comment on the newest models however even my model recommended the first two oil changes be performed at 5k mile intervals and then 10k miles after that. I can't imagine they lowered the change intervals overall, if they're still calling for synthetic oil. My book also references using 5k intervals if you're NOT using synthetic. Of course, there's been a lot of VW owners manuals being completely WRONG before so nothing would really surprise me too much.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Seriously, the good news is that Vw is building a NEW 2.0liter diesel likely to be called CDI or CRD for 2008.

I wouldn't bet on that change of nomenclature. It's like 4Motion or quattro: more of a brand name than a technical description. VW/Audi has build common rail Diesel engines for a long time. Now the time has come that novel piezo technologies have become sufficiently fast and competitive, allowing for unprecedented control of multiple injections within the burn cycle, thus helping to reduce emissions to prescribed levels.

VW will still call it TDI, in my humble opinion.
    I agree with you..... when VW changed over from original TDI engine to "pumpe duse" in 2004... they still called it "TDI".

Likewise -- A "common rail injection" engine is still technically a "Turbocharged Direct Injection" engine and could be called TDI.

Also.. I would be VERY VERY surprised if this is a TOTALLY NEW engine.... VW has been using the same basic casting for the engine block since they started selling watercooled engines.... There is no reason for that to change now.

Do not forget that here in NorthAmeica... we get the "old" technologies that have been sold in Europe for several years... again - I dont see that longstanding tradition changing. BUT WOULD HEARTILLY WELCOME GETTING SOME HI-TECH DIESEL TECHNOLOGY!

Now that we have ULSD... perhaps things might just change after all?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Now that we have ULSD... perhaps things might just change after all?

I'm hopeful. If Congress and the EPA is serious about using less fuel, diesel is the only way to go. Ethanol is several steps backward. Maybe they will see the light. Part of my hopefulness.
  • matthewj1matthewj1 Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out. About 50% of the time that I go over a bump, a metallic kinda "ping-ing" like noise is audible from the right side of the car. It is not loud, but i can hear it. I brought it back to the dealership and thay thought it was the catalytic converter, which was replaced. Hoever, the problem persists...any ideas? Thanks.
  • pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    The sulfur in the new ULSD will be 15 PPM. The current limit in most states for on road diesel is 500 ppm. The sulfur in home heating oil is 3000 ppm (this is 3%). There should be little or no affect on anybody's TDI when this new product hits the pumps. The one good thing that we all have to look forward to is that it should be very beneficial at reducing the intake manifold pluggage problem.
    This is a copy of a post from TDI club. I have to agree with what this person is saying. The new ULSD when it hits the pumps will have an ASTM test that will determine it's lubricity and there will be standards for it that do not depend on the sulfur.

"Originally Posted by Bkmetz
    A common diesel myth about lubricity sort of goes like this: High sulfur fuel was good for lubricity, low sulfur is not, so sulfur must be the magic ingredient that gives diesel its lubricity. WRONG. Here is what sulfur really is. Sulfur is not a lubricant. As a solid it's abrasive, as a liquid it's corrosive, and as a gas it's toxic. In crude oil it is bonded to the hydrocarbons and is not free to do its damage. Not until the combustion process is it free to do its dirty work. Lower sulfur levels is a good thing because during combustion it steals oxygen from the air that could be used to burn the fuel. Thus, all high sulfur fuels have more emissions than low sulfur fuels.

The oil industry uses a process called hydrotreating to remove the sulfur from the crude. The problem is this process also breaks up the larger hydrocarbon molecules that provide diesel fuel with its ability to lubricate. By 1995 the refiners had retuned and improved the hydrotreating process and the fuel pump problems stopped from poor fuel lubricity.

The seal failure problem that several fuel pump manufacturers had was due to a group of hydrocarbons called polynuclear aromatics. These are large joined aromatic ring type molecules that sort of resemble a random honeycomb. These aromatics have a swelling effect on certain types of rubber O-rings. The hydrotreating process broke up the large aromatics and reduced the fuels ability to lubricate and keep those O-rings swelled up. During the years 90-95 the fuel pump companies and the oil refiners were all blaming each other for the problem. Big oil said the fuel pump guys put the wrong O-rings in its pumps. The fuel pump guys all whined about poor fuel quality. Behind the backs of everybody the oil guys adjusted the hydrotreating process, and the fuel pump guys redesigned the seals in their fuel pumps. Both sides still blame each other today.

When I had the fuel injectors rebuilt in the wife's 85 MB 300D at a local diesel injection repair shop last March, I talked to the shop owner about fuel pump failures from low sulfur fuel. The owner told me he made lots of money in the early 90s replacing pump seals. The fix was to use seals made of Viton which is more immune to fuel quality. Most pump failures now are due microscopic grit and water damage from neglected fuel filters. Any older diesel that has not suffered a seal or O-ring failure by now probably will not, not from low fuel lubricity anyway. As far as the Bosch pumps used by MB and VW, the guy replaces dozens of injector nozzles a year but works on maybe one or two fuel injection pumps. That should tell you something about
    what wears out first.

I use fuel additives but not specifically for lubricity and definitely not to protect seals and O-rings because it won't happen. I want the cetane booster, water dispersant, anti-jell, detergents, etc. The lubricity additives are just a given. In another year or so the ASTM will have the new lubricity specifications sorted out and it will become part of the diesel fuel standards. But I repeat myself, it will be for scuffing limits, not seal or O-ring compatibility. My advice, don't worry about it because it won't happen."
    Another copy of a post from TDI club on Cetane. I would have to suggest from posts that I have read there that there probably isn't as much need to run with an additive in the summer, as there is in the winter. There have been studies on the benefits of boosting the cetane rating of a fuel that indicated unless it was at or below freezing that there wasn't much of a benefit. Your certainly not going to damage your engine by checking it out yourself. Try a tank with it, and then a tank without it and see if you notice a differance. I definitely use an additive in the winter to assist with preventing gelling, and I want to give that cetane a boost also. Personaly, I haven't noticed much of a differance with or without the cetane boost in the summer. Now: everything you ever wanted to know about cetane but were afraid to ask:

"The cetane number measures the ignition quality of a diesel fuel.

It is the % volume of cetane ( n-hexadecane, Cetane Number = 100 ) in
    alpha methyl naphthalene ( Cetane Number = 0 ), that provides the specified standard of 13 degrees ( crankshaft angle ) ignition delay at the identical compression ratio to that of the fuel sample. These days, heptamethyl nonane - with a Cetane Number of 15 - is used in place of alpha methyl naphthalene because it is a more stable reference compound.

It is measured in special ASTM variable compression ratio test engine that is closely controlled with regard to temperatures ( coolant 100C, intake air 65.6C ), injection pressure ( 1500psi ), injection timing 13 degrees BTDC, and speed (900rpm ). The compression ratio is adjusted until combustion occurs at TDC ( the ignition delay is 13 degrees ). The test is then repeated with reference fuels with five cetane numbers difference, until two of them have comporession ratios that bracket tthe sample. The cetane number is then determined by interpolation, and the higher the Cetane Number, the shorter the delay between injection and ignition. Now, if the fuel is pure hydrocarbons ( does not contain cetane number improving agents like alkyl or amyl nitrates ) then the cetace number can be predicted fairly well using some physical properties, such as boiling point and aniline point.

It's obvious from the above that the higher the cetane number ( 100 = normal alkane, 15 = iso-alkane ), then the lower the octane number ( 100 = iso-alkane, 0 = normal alkane ). This is because the desirable property of gasoline to prevent knock is the ability to resist autoignition, whereas for diesel, the desirable property is to autoignite. The octane number of normal alkanes decreases as carbon chain length increases, whereas the cetane number increases as the carbon chain length increases. Many other factors also affect the cetane number, and around 0.5 volume % of cetane number improvers will increase the cetane number by 10 units. Cetane number improvers can be alkyl nitrates, primary amyl nitrates, nitrites, or peroxides.

In general, aromatics and alcohols have low cetane numbers ( that's why people using methanol in diesels convert it to dimethyl ether ).One of the obvious effects of running on low cetane number fuel is the increase in engine noise.

Typically engines are designed to use fuels with Cetane Numbers of 40-55, because below 38 a more rapid increase in ignition delay. The significance of the cetane number increases with the speed of the engine, and large, low speed diesel engines often only specify viscosity, combustion and contaminant levels, as Cetane Number requirement of the engine is met by most distillate and residual fuels that have the appropriate propeties. High speed diesel engines ( as in cars and trucks ) virtually all are designed to accept fuels around 50 Cetane Numbers, with higher numbers being a waste.

However, Cetane Number is only one important propety of diesel fuels, with three of the others being also very important. Firstly, the viscosity is important because many injection systems rely on the lubricity of the fuel for lubrication. Secondly, the cold weather properties are important, remember that normal alkanes are desirable, but the desirable diesel fraction alkanes have melting points above 0C temperature, so special flow-enhancing additives and changes to the hydrocarbon profiles occur seasonally.
    That's why it's never a good idea to store diesel from summer for winter use. Thirdly, diesel in many countries has a legal minimum flash point ( the minimum temperature it must attain to produce sufficient vapours to ignite when a flame is applied. In all cases it's usually well above ambient ( 60C+, kerosine is 37C+, whereas gasoline is typically below -30C ), and anybody mixing a lowert flash point fraction with diesel will usually void all insurance and warranties on the vehicle. The recent increase in blending fuels has resulted in significantly more frequent analyses of fuel tank contents from diesel vehicle fires.

From all of the above, you can see some common factors emerging, larger normal alkanes are desirable, and they also burn with a less smoky flame and have higher flash points than gasoline and kerosine, making them also desirable for home heating fuels, however the relatively expensive Cetane Index improvers have no value in heating fuels.

Most engines show an increase in ignition delay when the cetane number is decreased from around 50 to 40, with an increase of 2 degrees being typical, and minimal advantages accrue of lower CN fuels are used.

Heating oils are often a slightly different fraction, and may have differing additives ( for cleaner combustion ) to fuels used for high speed diesel engines. For low speed ( large, stationary and marine engines ), they often use the cheapest residual fuel oil availble, as do the larger heating boilers - so there is commonality of fuel as size
    increases.

Details of the important, specified properties of various grades ( 1D, 2D, 4D ) of diesel fuel oils can be found in the Annual Book of ASTM Standards. ASTM D975-93 " Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils", as can the fuel oil specification for grades 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 in " Standard Specification for Fuel Oils ASTM D 396-92. Note that ASTN D975-93 actually defines the low temperature requirements by dividing the USA into regions. It is possible for
    a fuel to meet both specifications, but the diesel specification may have additional requirements such as Cetane Number and Cloud Point( temperature at which the fuel goes cloudy ), whereas the Fuel Oil may have additional limits on the distillation properties, and viscosity at 100C. A fuel has to be tested for all the criteria in each specification grade before it can be said to comply with the relevant grade in each specification.

The interchanging and dilution of fuels is performed by
    suppliers, taking into account the effect on all of the above, but especially flash point, as that is closely regulated in many countries. Adding kerosine and
  • mischmisch Member Posts: 2
    Can I use a K&N oil saturated air filter in my 1.9 TDI? I heard that it might interfere with the mass air flow sensor. Anyone using these filters?
    It is not a good idea to use an "oiled guaze" type of air filter in any engine that uses a MAF (Mass AirFlow) sensor.

Some of the oil will get sucked off the filter during normal driving. This will tend to coat the entire intake plenum. (including the sensitive MAF sensor)

If you do some research on the failure-modes of a MAF sensor, you will find a bunch of micro-photographs that show the surface of the MAF gets burned up when coated with oil.

Besides, the VW filter has been PROVEN to filter better than any "oiled guaze" type of air filter. (just keep your snowscreen clean)

SURPISE!! The snowscreen will plug up faster than your air-filter. (I clean my snowscreen about 2 times annually... while airfilter will go at least 20K miles)
    I used to test my oil and around 60k miles I popped in a Amsoil oiled air filter. At 70k miles, my silicon and wear metals were all higher. I checked the fitting of the filter and it seemed fine so I tossed it. 80k miles change was back to normal. I concluded the Amsoil filter was less effective than the VW/MANN paper filters I had been using. I agree on the oil causing problems with the MAF as well. Lesson learned in my book.
  • mischmisch Member Posts: 2
    I know the oil thing has been done to death, but I am still not clear as to whether or not I can use Amsoil Synthetic 5W 40 European motor oil in my 04 VW New Beetle TDI. AMSOIL's web site states it is suitable for cars requiring the 505.01 specs. (Manufacture date on my car is 10/03. I bought it used and don't know if this means it is the new PD TDI or is it pre-PD?)
    Amsoil "Claims" their 5W-40 oil to be 505.01 compliant, while both Mobil 1 0W-40 and German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30 are "Certified" to be 505.00 (which is the oil spec that your car most likely calls for) compliant. I don't know about you but I have a fair amount of contempt for companies that make uncertified claims, especially when independent certification is readily available.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    " I don't know about you but I have a fair amount of contempt for companies that make uncertified claims, especially when independent certification is readily available."

If an oil has the VW 505.xx certification printed on the lable... it HAD BETTER have gone thru the certification process. I beleive is is illegeal for them to print the certificaiton on the label without actually having one.

Dont forget that there are several motoroils available that FAR EXCEED the VW 505.xx certification but the oil-maker has opted to NOT pay for VW certificaion.

Mobil "DELVAC 1 5W-40" is an example.

Another example is a BRAND NEW oil "Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40" (API CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/CF-4/CF/SL/SJ)
    Look for this new "Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40" in AutoZone and Wallmart by August.

You can always purchase VW certiified engineoil from http://www.worldimpex.com/ . Impex even sells the hard-to-find VW 506.01 certified oil. Another nice thing about worldimpex is that thry offer COMPLETE SERVICE KITS... for example, you can get a 40K mile service kit which contains ALL the filters, fluids and gaskets in one box. (even a new oil drain plug as required by VW specs!)
    If an oil has the VW 505.xx certification printed on the lable... it HAD BETTER have gone thru the certification process. I beleive is is illegeal for them to print the certificaiton on the label without actually having one.

It all depends upon the language... The folks at Amsoil have not actually said their oil meets any standard at all. Instead they play with the language by saying, "AMSOIL Synthetic European Car Formula is formulated to surpass the most demanding European specifications." Geez, I just "formulated" up a batch of brownies that should be the "World's Best". Are they? I think so. ;-)

Any manufacturer may think their products meet certain specs, however, until put to the test, they don't really know. Would I trust my car on an oil with iffy properties? Not a chance.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I brought my '05 Passat TDI to the local dealer for a 20K service. I specifically asked that they note on the invoice that the oil change was 505.01 compliant. For oil, they used "Volkswagon oil - VAG-052-167-A2".

Does anyone know what company makes the VW oil? Mobil, Castrol.....??? Thanks.
  • hersheytx1hersheytx1 Member Posts: 13
    Its a totally new engine. In fact VW has stated that it will cut the cost of a diesel engine going to common rail by more then half. I am not ruling out that it will be a good engine, but I am glad I got the last of the TDIs before they stop production.
    My error (pays to read the WHOLE manual before asking, I guess - but I missed it the first time because my son and I were reading it together ... and so carefully as when I reread it later).

That is for the 1.8L turbo GASOLINE engine. The TDI still has the 10K mile recommendation for oil/filter changes (page 7).

Sorry to have wasted your bandwith ... :-/
  • tessa6455tessa6455 Member Posts: 1
    I got a new beetle tdi and had 1st oil change @dealer for $85. Can someone tell me the location of oil drain plug? There are two on the bottom of engine/transmission, car has 6 sp dsg.thanks
    I have a new [fantastic!] (2-week old) 2006 Jetta TDI - currently I have 298 miles on it. By next Friday, I will most likely have about 425 or so on it.

My question is this: next weekend my we will be taking a trip of about 900 miles. While I would love to drive the TDI, I have concerns, because roughly 750 miles will HAVE to be on expressways ... there are no reasonable alternatives on this trip (unless I want to increase the trip's mileage and drive time substantially).

Not using cruise control is not a problem. However we will have to make good time on this trip, and wide variations in the driving speed will likely not be possible much of the time.

As I understand it from reading the new-TDI break-in posts, I would probably be better off using our other car and waiting until I have more miles on the TDI before doing a long, sustained-speed drive like this one will have to be.

Any suggestions or recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated - I got my previous diesel when it had about 90Kmiles on it, so I don't really have any experience with the break-in period.

Thanks.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    No sense in reinventing the wheel. May I suggest going to www.TDICLUB.com and do a search on break in. You might also do a search of the following screen name's posting. I ran my break in by way of drivbywire's suggestions. If you have any questions after your read, let me know, I'd be happy to give you my take.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    No harm done. I think the confusion is your first 2 at 5k and 10k and then 10k thereafter. What is disconcerting is the DSG requires 40K oil/filter changes .. :mad: One owner paid ($400.00) for this service. Which from an old transmission student is ridicules .....

DL
  • deaner14deaner14 Member Posts: 40
    Had an accident a couple weeks ago (got side swiped by a 2001 Corvette). Definitely more damage to the Vette than my '02 Jetta.

Now that it's all fixed, I downloaded my recent car data and I've got two error codes. I know what they say, but I don't know what they mean and I'm not sure whether I need to be concerned about them.

They are:
    P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input

P0228 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "C" Circuit
    High Input

Anyone know what I'm faced with?

Thanks