Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

1434445464749»

Comments

• koolerkooler Member Posts: 22
    thanks for the info. :confuse:
  • bluesmokerbluesmoker Member Posts: 1
  • steven64steven64 Member Posts: 3
    Good Morning,

Is the new 2012 Volkswagen Golf Wagon 4dr TDI made in Germany or Mexico?
    I would like your views on this great looking VW.

Thank you.

steven63
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    edited November 2011
    Golf/GTI made in Germany
    Jetta Sport Wagon made in Germany
    Jetta/GLI made in Mexico
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    It is not simple as saying "Made in XXXX". In today's world economy, it is way to simplistic to suggest that an automoble is "MADE" in any single country.

If you READ the window-sticker, you will see that the engine is "assembled" in one country, the Xmission - another country... and the entire assembly - yet another country.

Do not forget that several BMWs are 'assembled' in USA... but only sold outside USA. (go figure)
    "Do not forget that several BMWs are 'assembled' in USA... but only sold outside USA. (go figure)"

News to me; as far as I know, pretty much every model built in South Carolina is also sold here in the States.
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    Spot on. My Volvo S60, ('06), was assembled in Belgium but the bits came from all over the place. I've had a couple of "Belgian Made" cars in the past, (Opels rebadged as Vauxhall and Right-Hand Drive, of course), and they have been very good cars from a build viewpoint. My Skoda was built in Czech Republic but using lots of VW bits ex-Germany and elsewhere.

Rolls Royce Phantom, the quintessential English motor car, is "Built in UK' but has lots of components shipped in from other countries. The leather all used to come from Sweden and maybe still does, although I heard a reference to Argentina recently. So much for Connolly's finest english leather.

Lots of Toyotas and Nissans built in UK and a friend did have a (disastrously bad) Mercedes ML built in USA - right-hand drive and all. I have to smile when folks proclaim that they only buy British, German or whatever cars. Obviously no idea about globalisation.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    When the NAV in my 2007 Sequoia died in 2009, it took several months to get a replacement from Denso in New Delhi, India.

I think the TDI engines are all made in Poland. I don't think there is ANY 100% USA made vehicle.
    Per the window sticker, our new GTI was built in Wolfsburg, the engine is from Hungary, and the transmission is from Germany. Also per the window sticker, the overall car has a content of 62% Germany and 1% U.S./Canada.
  • jdhtx87jdhtx87 Member Posts: 1
    I just bouht a 2012 Golf TDI 4 door. Engine and transmission are made in Wolfsburg and the vehicle is assembled in Wolfsburg. With a background in manufacturing, I believe that some manufacturing facilities exhibit better quality control than others. I am hoping this is the case with my Wolfsburg Golf. So far, after 750 miles, this car is awesome. Great steering, brakimg, suspension, And "cockpit". Averaging 40.2 mpg.
    Keep us posted on your experience with your TDI. I did not realize they are built in Germany. No wonder they are very popular and hard to get a great deal on.
    A well-broken-in TDI engine can achieve much better than your 40.2MPG you are getting on a new engine.

The TDI engine takes up to 30,000 miles to 'break in'. During that time, if properly managed, you can expect the piston-rings to seat and compression readings to go up and level off.

I was meticulous when I broke-in my TDI. I took measures to ensure the cylinder-walls did not "glaze" before the rings seated. (Once glazed, the rings cannot wear-in to the cylinder-walls and your MPG will not go up any more)
  • forsfors Member Posts: 3
    Would you buy this car again? How are the engine noise and road noise?
    Does the exhaust smell bad? I had a Ford pickup. Whew!
    We'll be using it for city driving mostly.
    Thanks,
    Jody
    Would you buy this car again? Absolutely! Infact, it is my wifes car and she would have nothing else to the point where she decided to invest in it (repair it) because there is nothing comparable on the market.

How are the engine noise and road noise? We have used TDI to make many roadtrips (over 12 hours) Once rolling over 10 MPH along, it is impossible to tell it is a diesel.

Does the exhaust smell bad? I just asked my wife that question... her answer "I dont know, I never really thought about it"

For me personally, I notice the difference in exhaust odor based on what fuel is being run in it. For example, Biodiesel (Corn oil, Peanut oil...etc) smells kinda like popcorn.

I do have to tell you that the engine is SOOOO efficient that it does not produce much heat. In the winter, when ambient temps. are below 10F, Do not expect much heat out of the vents for the first 10 miles of driving. HEATED SEATS ARE A MUST WITH TDI.
  • crazycat2crazycat2 Member Posts: 1
    How do you breach in the TDI, glazing???, just purchased one and love it so far but want to do right by it. Thank you
    You are correct to be concerned about "glazing" of the cylinders. If this happens before the cylinder-rings are seated, your engine may never achieve full MPG and power.

It is important to understand that a TDI engine continues to seal the rings for many thousands of miles. (as evidenced by compression-measurements)

The general concept of ANY engine break-in is to put the piston-rings under pressure so they are forced against the cylinder-walls.... followed by a cool-down period. This translates into short bursts of FULL THROTTLE ACCELERATION followed by DECELERATION. The decel. portion of this is imperative to allow the rings to 'rattle' a bit in the ring-lands.

I hesitate to attempt to describe the complete break-in procedure here because I am not the one who did all the work of compression-testing and evaluation. Please visit Freds TDIclub to get the facts from the source. The "TDIFAQ" section answers nearly every question ever asked about TDIs.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you recently traded in a gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient new vehicle, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with your daytime contact info and the makes and models of the vehicles.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I drive an '07 Jetta 2.5, my fourth VW, and it's been as good a car as I could have hoped for. Still, I'd like a TDI, mostly because I find the diesel technology fascinating (I owned an old non-turbo diesel in the 80's, but that's another story.) My commute is only 15 miles each way, and I total only 16K miles per year. As such, I don't want to incur some of the big repairs (hi-pressure pump, etc.) because my fuel savings won't offset them. SO, how common are those expensive repairs? If I maintain the engine from new, can I expect 100-150mi. without the big ticket repairs?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2012
    I think your goals might be WAY too low. So it is really the perfect reason to stay with your 2.5 L or use the reasoning to get into a TDI. So the real question given the issue of fuel savings is how many gals and or both dollars can you save in 120,000 miles. Figure 40-42 mpg on the current Mk 5 TDI. Fueleconomy.gov lists 26 mpg for the Jetta 2.5. (2927- 4615=1688 gal saved @4.15= $7,006) 120,000 miles is the first "major tune". That consists of a timing belt and water pump replacement. Now this is fairly technically exacting from a DIY perspective, so make sure you use a local guru, GTG guru or independent shop that specializes in TDI's. In your case, you can expect to come up on it @ app 7.5 years. I have 175,000 miles on a 9 year old MY Jetta TDI. I have had little to NO unscheduled repairs. Yes, it has had scheduled maintenance (20,000 to 30,000 oil change intervals, air filters, etc). It has even had a few TSB's. One UN scheduled repair was a drivers side headlamp going out. $8.0 to R/R. I just recently had two brake lamps go out. Dealer R/R @ no charge, lams are what 2 per? I had to replace a windshield, rock out of nowhere. Tires were changed @ 112,300 miles. I swag 250,000 miles from the rotors and brake pads. Resale historically has been higher for the TDI over the gasser, but specific dollar amounts are not guaranteed or guaranteed to continue.
  • zahavazahava Member Posts: 11
    B, Your ?'s about the latest diesel's seem to be quite dated. I have been driving the VWdiesels since the 70's. The new cars do not smell. They don't smoke and they are quiet. When gas goes to 8.49 a gallon in a couple of years. These cars will be sought after. GM and Ford already have cars and trucks like these but just don't sell the in the US, Yet. The Chevy Cruse diesel will be sold here starting in 2013. 50 mpg. It's being sold in Asia and Australia, India etc etc. So, Yes I would buy it. Heck we just bought a new 2012 VW Passat. I filled my 1st tank of fuel 6 weeks after we bought it. Neat
    R, You da' man. 175,000 and still going. An inspiration.
    CW, I love the smell of Diesel in the morning. Just sayin' All kidding aside. The other posts here are right. Modern TDI powered cars don't smell much. Sure, There is some order filling up at the pump but you get that with gasser vechicles.
    Welcome to the Forum, keep us posted on your new TDI.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    edited August 2012
    There won't be any more diesels sold in N.America than the car/oil companies can keep out.

They will kick and scream and use their P.R. hacks and lobby money to stall and add more rules to keep Diesel Cars from getting a bigger market share.
    Remember the good idea T Boon Picken's had a few years ago about using more natural gas engines to get off the gasoline habit? He might as well have been talking to rows of fence posts...

Why so much resistance? I think it's because they can't market ETHANOL to diesel or natural gas vehicles owners.
    This Govt. mandated poison in your tank gives you less power, worse mpg's causing you to buy more fuel. The Huge Multie National companies that are now in the game, and the Govt, hungry for the extra fuel tax million$, love that.
    My old 06 TDI (using NO Ethonal) costs me half of what my gas cars used to for the same trips..

Last week there was a proposal to drop the mandate for ethanol in gas for this season due to the drought and poor corn crops over many states.

That good idea got killed before before it took it's first breath.

Call me paranoid, but I will believe a 50 mpg Chevy Cruz with a diesel engine when I see it, if I live that long.
    I would imagine a big part of the higher priced gas is higher priced ethanol without as many subsidies. Although I think they have cut back to the 2.9% mandate with the subsidies gone. I get better mileage this year than last. I cannot think of any other reason. Only about 1.5 MPG better with my 08 Nissan Frontier. Would be nice to have the same truck with a diesel engine getting 30 MPG.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    I think you are stretching it a bit on the price of gas, and IF it does reach that high, diesel will be close to $9/gallon... At that price, I would have a elec car, since I wouldn't have to worry about the fuel price, and since Solar is being installed on the house this week, it would cost next to nothing to run it. On a flight to Detroit there was a Ford engineer sitting next to me, who worked/working on the new Fusion, he told me that the Fusion will come in a diesel version, but he couldn't tell me which engine. I would like to see more American made cars with a diesel option... The Cruze looks promising and I'm sure the 50 MPG is low, since GM is expecting it to be higher.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Here's some chatter from 'gearhead' about the diesel Cruze........................

" according to sources in the Associated Press, GM is planning to sell a diesel-powered Chevy Cruze right here in the U.S. And it could achieve up to 50 mpg…with a healthy dose of torque to go with it.

This is basically the same story that made its way around the Internet back in February, only this time, with a date attached. The AP points to 2013 as the likely launch date, and that there is a 2.0 liter diesel powering the Holden Cruze down in Australia. That engine uses 5.6 liters of fuel for every 100 km of travel, which equates to about 42 mpg (combined) rated, as long as you opt for the six-speed manual transmission. Selecting the automatic drops the combined mileage down to 6.7 L/100 km, or about 35 mpg.

With the manual option, GM could get close to a 50 mpg rating here in the U.S., as under the Australian standards the 2.0 diesel-powered Cruze uses just 4.8 L/100 km during “extra urban” (highway) driving. That equates to 49 mpg highway. In the city, the rating drops to 7.0 L/ 100 km, or about 34 mpg. What with all the recent and impending changes to EPA ratings, CAFE standards, so on and so forth, who knows what the final numbers will be. But if GM squeezes a combined rating of 42 mpg out of a diesel Cruze, that could go a long way towards meeting the proposed 56.5 mpg CAFE standard that the White House is considering for by 2025.

The best part though, is that the new diesel engine makes 161 horsepower and 360 NM/266 ft-lbs of toque"

.)
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    It wont make a dent in the GM's Cafe #'s if they do not sell. VW has positioned itself well for the 56.5MPG. Both GM and Ford missed the boat for not bring over a GOOD diesel car/engine combo years ago..
    Flightnurse, Right you are. VW got other stuff up their slieves. Audi is bringing the Audi A6and A8 TDI's over to the US. Luxury + AWD + Good MPG. THe A4's and TT's will follow. Have you checked on the VW Lupo? It has set records over there. It is a cheap little car and gets between 80 to 120mpg. Google it. It's interesting. There is the Smart Car for 2. I have a MD acquaintence who was in Italy last year. He rented one and got 70 mpg. Has a diesel engine as well. There is a diesel hybrid that gets 120mpg and is still being tweaked. The other posts do raise a point that I am aware of and that is the special interests in this country who blunt and retard the advance of these vehicles to favor their largess. I.E. They brought the smart car here and dumped a gas engine in it and only gets 40 to 50mpg and it takes premium fuel on top of that. Well that isn't going to go anywhere and that's what happened. It will take another financial downturn to make this happen. When the need is acute they will supply the product just in time. Hmmmm Maybe I should buy some stock now. Regards to all
    G, You should know that I have a 2006 VW New Beetle Diesel as well. Went 300 miles to get this one. Got this baby last year. It only had 26453 miles on it. It's got 37,890 on it now. I park it a tad in the summer. It's a winter beater now. I got blizzaks and brand new alloys for the winter and the original alloys and Michelin's for the summer. I am averaging 43 to 45 mpg (70%/30% highway/City driving) I think the clylinders have seated properly. No glazing. I am going to research Fred's TDI site to make sure the new Passat is done right. My sisiter is starting to moan about selling her KIA SUV (with 32,990 miles on it) because it's costing too much $ filling it up. I do love her. She is giving me the stink eye. May want to procure my bug. Hellllllllllllllllllllllp
    A friend in Seattle just sold his Ford 500 and Beetle TDI and bought a new Passat TDI. It fulfills all his auto needs. He loves it. Has the room to haul people and gets great mileage.
  • dmortazdmortaz Member Posts: 26
    hi Folks

We are considering a Golf TDI, but the difference between the TDI and the base model is more than $10,000 in our area!? Has anyone done an ROI analysis to get a break-even number based on today's fuel prices!?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited September 2012
    According to Edmunds.com the MSRP difference is 6,570.

I would advocate 4 fold actions:

1. shop the US inventory for @ invoice + or even better invoice -

2. get the best prices on a TDI and a basic model (if the basic model is what you really want)

3. look at several MY's used car prices (or in arrears of when you plan to sell either car you decide to get) of both TDI and gasser

3 b. get the real world used car prices TDI/gasser and then decide if the difference (per mile driven) is worth it.

4. Add to that the per mile driven savings or extra

example 40.3 mpg TDI, 29.1 mpg gasser, ULSD (corner store 4.25) RUG 4.13.

per mile driven ULSD .105 cents, RUG .14.2 cents or

35% more per mile driven RUG So over 100,000 miles RUG will cost 3,700 more.