Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    with the 130PD motor right?
  • yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    Hello all,

Just wanted to let you know that the owner of our local dealership just stopped by to pick up our Jetta TDI for its 5000 mile service. He dropped off his Cabrio for the day for use till his return.

This sort of service after the sale, available in our area, has certainly made ownership of the VW more pleasurable.
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    Wow. Impressive service my friend.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    What dealer was that? Very cool!
    Our dealer is a family owned one by the name of Bertolet located on Route 61 near Hamburg, Pa. The owners son dropped off his Cabrio and took our TDI to the shop for the 5000 mile service which included tire rotation and synthetic oil. General check as well.
    We are not accustomed to such treatment.
  • rcm123rcm123 Member Posts: 1
    What can I realistically expect to get from a Jetta GL TDI with a manual transmission. The dealers keep telling me I will get what it says? How about some real world comments from owners, THANKS!
  • bignoniabignonia Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone- I'm contemplating buying a TDi (manual, of course). I've never owned a diesel before, so I'm a little nervous about making the committment. I can't get into the TDiclub.com site, as people have suggested on this thread, so I'm hoping someone out there could tell me why this might be (do I need to be a member?), or why I should, or shouldn't buy a diesel (besides the MPG thing). I test drove a 2000 GTi the other day, and really liked it. If I get one, obviously, I'd like to 2003, but given my finances a used model is more realistic. Any suggestions as to years? There is a 2000 GL and a 2001 GLS that I'm looking at. both are in great shape and have low mileage.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions!!

Susan
    rcm: I have averaged 46 mpg, with a high of 51 and a low of 43. If you go on a long highway trip you can expect to see over 50 mpg once you are broken in (assuming a somewhat legal speed). When you start going over 80, those numbers will decrease, so the cruise control is your friend! Trust me, this car likes to go fast on the highway.

Bignonia: tdiclub has been on the fritz today, so that explains that problem. I haven't been able to get on there at all, and I use it all the time. Reasons for Diesel:

1. Mileage: Obviously, but you will love going 600-700 miles between fuel stops.

2. Maintenance: Every 10k miles with (required) synthetic oil.

3. Torque: There is lots of it, which makes passing and such on the freeway easy without the need to downshift.

4. Longevity: The TDI should last you easily 200k - 300k miles with good maintenance, and even farther.

5. Its surprisingly quiet on the highway, because the transmission is geared higher, so the engine is spinning ~800 rpm lower than a gas engine at the same speed.

6. Biodiesel, completely homegrown fuel (I dont use it, because there is no good local supply.)

Good luck to both with the purchase!
    I think I posted this earlier but I just turned over 5500 miles on my TDI auto.
    The dealer tells me it wont break in until around 8-10,000. He indicated that mpg should improve up to 40 aroud town...time will tell. It is not bad so far. I get 36-38mpg on back roads to and from work 12 miles one way.
    On trips I have ranged from 39-46 mpg. We seldom go on trips longer than 180 miles one way.
    We got over 500 miles on one or two tanks but on a full tank going to work, we fill up around 460 miles.
    The manual should get much better.
    Like chmeeee, we think we will have this car for 200,000 miles. We hear that the diesel fuel that we see in this area is pretty bad so that will have an effect on the mileage.
    I would love to see the biodiesel in this area.
    Good luck.
  • bignoniabignonia Member Posts: 2
    Chmee- Thanks a lot! What do you know about mechanics? Are they harder to find, or will I just end up going to the dealership?

Happy holidays to all

Susan
  • cagduccagduc Member Posts: 1
    I'm seriously considering the purchase of a 2003 Jetta TDI, GLS, 5spd (I love the looks and the mileage). However, I'm quite concerned with all the negative comments on this message board (e.g., engine problems, windows "dropping," A/C not working, electrical problems, etc.) Are these all serious concerns for other TDI owners, or the isolated moanings of a few? I noticed that Consumer Reports no longer recommends the Jetta because of reliability concerns. Advice by knowledgable Jetta TDI folks would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    VW's are not toyotas, plain and simple. They aren't any worse and maybe a bit better than a lot of domestic cars. They drive much differently though and feel like substantial vehicles. If your #1 concern is reliability and are going to get upset when little things happen, then VW might not be for you. If you enjoy driving and want that german feel, VW does a good job of putting that in an affordable package. Most of the problems seem small (power window issue has been fixed, rattles are a big complaint, etc) but I've not seen very many major repair issues on any VW's prior to very high miles.
  • ryanstriveryanstrive Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the same boat. My wife and I were ready to sign last week, but an availability issue postponed our purchase until the new year. In the meantime, I really started to scour the web for issues/problems, and have started waiver on our decision. Reliablity is a priority to us, and spending $30,000 CDN without it doesn't make good sense.
  • jabildajabilda Member Posts: 47
    I have a 2002 Jetta Wagon Diesel. Except for the backseat, this car has been great. I've heard that the dealership network is a crap shoot - some are good, some are bad. Mine is good. The window regulators are being covered under warranty - if it's the same thing I'm thinking about. I received a letter from VW extending plastic clips that were used in certain years that seem to break due to weather. The clips are plastic and will be replaced with metal (per the dealer).

I agree - this is not a Toyota, but I have not experienced any problems. I believe the diesel comes from Germany (vs. the America's for the other non-diesel models), which made a difference to me. Since I was early, I had to order mine - it was worth the wait.

Good luck and feel free to ask any Q's.
    rcm123: I average 50 mpg combined highway and stop-and-go traffic on my 02 Golf TDI 5-speed manual

cagduc:
    Windows dropping:The 03 models have the revised metal window regular clip with is more robust than the previous plastic one. I've had mine switched over and noticed an improvement in window operation (no more clunk that scares the heck out of me).
    AC: Yeah it's a little weak. I've found at opening the sunroof (in tilt) for the first few minutes of driving helps alot. Hot air rises (lower density than cold air), thus escapes through the sunroof. I'm planning on getting my windows tinted also.

No other problems to date yet
    Jetta wagon is assembled in Germany

Golfs & GTI are assembled in Brazil

Jetta sedan and Beetles are Mexico
    More power, more power, more power. VW Driver magazine (UK) has done numerous articles on the 130 bhp and 150 bhp engines.

I've heard the 130 PD motor is coming to the US Passat though.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Yesterday I drove a 5 speed TDI. I felt that the clutch pedal has a long travel. Are all cars different? Can this be adjusted?

I really liked this car!!! But I stalled it 3x :>(

The telescoping steering wheel is fantastic! Compare that to the crummy steering wheel position in a Matrix/Vibe.
    This engine has tons of power with a 5speed and I was doing 70 mph in no time without knowing it!
    I don't think that can be adjusted, but its something you will be adapted to in a day or two anyways.

I agree about the steering wheel, I don't like other cars now that don't telescope, I am just so used to it.
    That's one thing I don't like about the G35c.

My cousin, who's learning the stick shift on his G35 absolutely loves how easy the TDI 5-speed is to drive.
  • wings02wings02 Member Posts: 3
    to chmeeee: In the US, does VW advertise changing
    your synthetic oil every 10K miles?
    My Canadian dealer told me to change my synthetic oil every 5K miles (8,000 km). What's the difference?

to ryanstrive: I have 13K miles on my 2002 VW Golf TDI so far and have had no problems. From what I've read here, I would buy a manual for sure. I get about 4.5L/100km (or 52mpg)after setting the cruise at 95km/h. If they are any where near as durable as my 1985 Jetta TDI, any TDI should last 8 years easy as long as you maintain it properly.
  • reddevilreddevil Member Posts: 4
    I have about 5k miles on my wagon, TDI with manual and no problems whatsoever. its everything I was hoping for. I drive a lot of miles so I wanted a vehicle that would last 300k miles and this was the answer for me.... we shall see about the 300k :)

mpg so far is between 46+ and 49...

if you want one, plan on a 3 or 4 month wait though!
  • cabrales1cabrales1 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon GLS w/manual transmission I bought right before xmas. So far I like it and it has been trouble free. I did not have to wait long for it (less than 2 weeks between the time I decided I wanted one and the time I drove off with it) and I think I got a decent price. Also, it was the best car buying experience I have ever had. It is baltic green, with beige leather interior, and Monsoon. Things I like: Heated seats, gas mileage, telescoping steering wheel, smooth acceleration/drive train. Things I don't like: Seat recliner knob, cup holder. Two questions: 1) The dealership I bought it has free oil changes for the first 3 years. How do I know/trust if the dealership is using the right oil for a TDI? 2) Is there a good on-line place to buy parts/accessories such as mud guards (BTW, will mudguards affect my gas mileage?), filters, etc?
    10k miles, that's what our manual says on 5w40 oil.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    USE NON_DYNO OIL IN THE TDI. I beleive that DELAVAC is one of the 3 approved engine-oils.

It must also be diesel-approved oil. The oil must be able to suspend lots of soot.(unlike a petrol engine lube)

For parts... here are a few URLs for you to bookmark;

http://www.goapr.com/

http://www.performance-cafe.com/

http://www.germanautoparts.com/

So don't use oil that we use on a dynamometer?

Isn't Castrol Syntec 5w40 hyrdocracked dino oil?
    (8u6hfd) What do you mean use "ON" a dynamometer?
    If you mean dyno-based hydrolic fluid for the dyno, what does that have to do with the price of eggs in China? (has no bearing on the subject)

I believe you are correct that Castrol Syntec is "hyrdocracked" dino oil... But is SYNTEC 'approved' for diesel engines? I think not!
    I have never seen SYNTEC oil on the list of approved TDI lubricants.

To answer you inquiries more precisely, please visit the TDI CLUB and review the copious amount of TDI information there.
    I am on the TDIclub. Ask natescape (usually on the biodiesel threads here, every now and then, the Passat thread) and cheemee

I was busting your chops since you spelled DYNO (short for dynamometer), instead of dino.

Syntec 5w40 is "approved" for the VW diesel engine, since it has the special additive package (spec'd by VW) to meet the VW 505.00 performance specification, despite being API CF certified.

People can also use Mobil 1 0w40, since it "meets" the VW 505.00 spec, despite being API CF certifed.

Since you're a member of that club (assumption here) you have participated in the various oil arguments (or at least read them) in the Fuels & Lubes section. In the famous Delvac 1 versus Amsoil S3000 wars, you've noticed some people stances are: API certification or not, it "meets" the VW 505.00 & ACEA B4 specifications, thus appropiate for use in the VW TDI motor.

---------
    On a different note, your link or post may disappear as the rules dictate that we cannot solicit other forums here. I've been guilty of this before, so I'm giving you the heads-up.
    Ohhh I get it, Dino-Dyno ;-)

You are correct that there are several oils that "meet" the specification by may not be 'certified'.

If it came down to an engine problem under warantee... you know what your dealer would say if one were running one of those 'unofficial' lubes?
    In 1 year, I'm halfway through the powertrain warranty....so it's not an issue for me.
  • wmourerwmourer Member Posts: 1
    I'm waiting for my new Jetta TDI to arrive on Weds 1/15/03, and the dealer mentioned there was a "chip upgrade" for about $500 that will boost Horsepower on the TDI. He claims it won't affect the Orig. warranty. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Does it sounds like a smart move? Does it really work? Would appreciate any input from the more technical/mechanic folks! You can email me directly with your ideas, input, experience. Thanks much!
    You may be thinking of the UPSOLUTE chip for the TDI. Installing it WILL void the factory warantee

http://www.upsolute.com/

YES! These things REALLY DO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE!

Basically, they tell the turbocharger to increase the boost pressure... then re-program the other variables to compensate. SIGNIFICANT power improvements have been reported. The MPG and reliability are unaffected.

I am VERY surprised your dealer mentioned a chip for the TDI... please post details here!!!

If there is a chip that is backed by VW (and installed by VW dealers) we want to know about it.

BRAND NAME?

VW PART NUMBER?

etc....

My salesman mentioned chip also.

But, get the official word from the service department (the people who may be screwing over later). Actually get it in writing on the official VW or dealership letterhead, saying a chip won't void the warranty, signed by at least the service manager.

Word of mouth doesn't mean too much when later down the road the service dept tells you your warranty is voided due to the chip.
  • natescapenatescape Member Posts: 176
    Absolutely rocks. I threw one in my Passat after three weeks of ownership (well past warrantee). It's like you're driving a different car. What a blast. Power right through red line, lots of "oomph", and I've accidentally chirped the tires in second gear when making a fast start. The best $350 or so I've spent on this car.

But, yes, most dealerships won't cover any engine issues that come up if they know you have a chip.
  • sealrcksealrck Member Posts: 4
    Can anybody tell me where the water separator is on the TDI engine. I have a 2002 Jetta with the TDI. Went to the dealer for service, but did the second at a local garage. Neither he (the local guy)or I can find the darn thing!
    The water separator is at the bottom of the fuel filter, but you really don't have to worry about it, unless you are using really bad fuel or something (since the filter needs to be changed every 20k anyways).

The filter is located on the left side as you look at the engine, you will see the clear fuel line coming out of it going to the engine.
  • sealrcksealrck Member Posts: 4
    Hey CHMEEE. OK, the water separator is right below the fuel filter, but where is the fuel filter? This car is so low to the ground that it is really hard to look around to find things without a lift.
    IIRC it's on the right side of the engine bay towards the front. It's a canister type with very easy access. Everything you need to get at is pretty easy on these cars. Oil filter is right on top with a removable element. If you get an oil sump, there's no need to go under the car even for oil changes.
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was looking from above. ;-)
  • whamkwhamk Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to drain the water from the water seperator on the jetta tdi? The manual for the 2003 tdi say to drain the water at 10000 miles I change the oil, now I need to drain the water.
    Look a few posts up, we just had a discussion on that. It should be fine unless you use really bad fuel anyways.
  • noles21noles21 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a new car and drive my cars to the end. Have 2 Nissans ('93 Altima/ 140K, '95 Pathfinder/ 105K). Very very few problems. At the dealer maybe 3x total for each in their life for common breakdown issues (alternator, distributor, etc.) This in the shop at 25K miles (and less) for ANY problems sounds ludicrous.

Reading some of the posts on the TDI make me think this is not the most reliable car around... The high fuel mileage appeals to me, but not at the cost of added time in the shop with expensive repairs.

If I buy a car based on reliability and cost of maintenance, should I stay away from the TDI?

I live in S. Florida and would get the automatic. Expect to drive abt 15K/ year.

Thoughts from the gallery... Thanks!
    (noles21) This is (after all) the TDI forum. most folks that purchase the TDI fully understand that VW is not the most reliable (boring) vehicle on the road but they have other priorities.

To me, the Jetta TDI is not only a step above most similarly-priced vehicles in terms of ride, handling and overall quality feel. It gets nearly 50 MPG.

There are also many folks that appreciate the German-road car feel that you can only get in a German-designed automobile.

My wife and I considered, drove and eliminated a lot of other vehicles before we found the Jetta.

I used to have a Nissan too... it was perhaps the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. But it was bare-bones, no frills, jiggly-ride, noisy (engine and ropadnoise). It rusted out so bad it would not pass state inspection any more. It ended up on beating around the farm for another year or so... as far as I am aware- it is STILL running. (but looks like #@$%)

For me, Corrosion-resistance is the MOST IMPORTANT detail I look for in a vehicle. The Jetta has a 12-Year, UNLIMITED millage corrosion warantee. There is NO OTHER vehicle in this price range that offers anything close.
    (The Saturn is a plastic car so it does not rust... but the engines are KNOWN to use oil 8-(
    A VW is a completely different driving vehicle than the japaense brands. I have owned/do own Toyotas and while reliability was their biggest asset, they were boring appliance transport. If you really don't like driving and it's just something you have to do, then go for the relability. Actually my last two Toyotas haven't been as reliable as my TDI has been at this point. Only driving 15K miles per year though, you'd be hard-pressed to really get the benefits out of the diesel. They are better suited for highway/long trips. Some of the very small economy cars would probably return similar mpg with a lot of short trips. A hybird civic or prius is probably even better for such little driving.
    I sometimes wish I had bought a TDI instead of the 1.8T that I have (02). I couldn't sacrifice that power though, because I drove both the same day I bought my 1.8T. But 50mpg would be sweet on my ~70 mile a day commute though. TDIs are fun to drive, but I like the 1.8T better for brute power. :)
    I'd bet for a simple $400 mod the TDI could feel very similar to your 1.8T for highway driving/high speed acceleration. I did a high-speed jog a few weeks ago running along with a Benz E-420. I could accelerate up-hills from 65-90mph without downshifting and stay right with him. That was only 150 miles out of the 600 miles I put on that tank, but I still averaged 44mpg. 150 mile trip in 1.75 hours, do the math. The TDI will run faster than I want to take this car without some suspension/tire mods.
    ( sebring95 ) UPSOLUTEly!!
    I know NOW about all the chips and stuff available. I have never driven a chipped TDI though, I will have to try one. Next time, I will definitely have to check out a TDI when I trade the 1.8T, which won't be for awhile though.

By then, hopefully, there will be the PD TDI models here with even more power. :)
  • hloadhload Member Posts: 27
    Hi all,
    I'm a new owner of a TDI Wagon and was wondering how many of you out there with a 02 or 03 have purchased a extended warranty?

If you did - how much and where?

thanks
    When test driving a TDI, many times I don't think you easily get the feel for how quick these cars are. The reason being that you don't drive a diesel the same as a gas vehicle. Planting your foot on the floor and redlining is not very effective with a diesel, but that seems to be how many people (and magazines) test them. Once you learn the sweet spots and shift points you really start appreciating the power.

It's very hilly where I drive and have found this car to be one of the strongest (and bar-none the most powerful 4cyl) for pulling hills. I can pull hills without downshifting, and in many cases maintain speed on hills where even larger displacement gas engines slow down.

I just wanted to throw that out for anyone considering a diesel. My guess is that if the VW dealers had salespersons that really understood how diesels work, more people concerned about performance wouldn't be turned off. Jumping into a TDI and driving it the same as a 1.8T will quickly discourage someone.