Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Though when you look at the numbers the 2.0 has better 0-60 times. The 0-60 time for the Tdi is 12.6 and the 2.0 is a little quicker.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    You're probably right as flat-out acceleration from a stop is not it's forte. I typically don't drag race all day long though:) It won't keep up with my 4.0L Cherokee (around 8 secs) from a dead stop but in general driving it feels very good. It has much better passing power (at most any speed) than the cherokee.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    That makes sense!!
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    the natural way to shift gears is close to redline.

But for the TDI, going past 4000 rpm is a waste of time (not much power after 4000 rpm). YOu're better off short-shifting and let the torque do its job.
  • natescapenatescape Member Posts: 176
    I equate the TDI's power to drivability. It pulls effortlessly and moves quite quickly. It just doesn't have that "top end" for drag-racing. But in ordinary traffic, I nearly always unintentionally pull ahead of other traffic from a light because I just have more useable power and down-low grunt. :)

Having driven a diesel, I'll never buy another gasonline car.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    And that's what I did too. Floored it from a stop. It felt dead to me, but the 1.8T didn't. That's why I picked that one.

I am one who LOVES all-out power though, so I am very happy with the 1.8T.. :)
    nate is also chipped
    I know. :)

I will be soon as well :)
    mee too
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    I am looking at a tuning box. :-D
    Check out speedtuningusa.com for tuning boxes. I was at a GTG in MD and they were selling them left and right there.
  • eddielifesoneddielifeson Member Posts: 5
    I bought my TDI sedan about eight months ago and I am only averaging in the neighborhood of 35mpg. I have a stick, does anyone have any suggestions, when it was at the dealer for a different repair I had them look into it, but they were as helpful as a headache!
    Are you driving mostly in the city?
    I drive about 40-50 miles a day and about 10 is city driving. Now I do my fair share of rush hour driving so I would expect the low 40's, but for instance, this tank my gas light just came on and I have about 385 miles on the tank and filled it last time out.
    I have no idea what could make that so low, my all time low is 41 mpg, and that was with winterized fuel, subzero temps, and a loaded ski rack on the roof. Where are you located? Winter fuel will make somewhat of a decrease, but certainly not that much. Try bringing it to a different dealer, it might be the timing.
    If this was bought brand new, it's possible it just needs some more break-in before you'll start getting better gas mileage. Some seem to get lower mpg at first, sometimes needing upto 10K miles to really start gettin terrific mpg. Others do great out of the box. With the winter fuel and such 35mpg could be "normal" until it breaks-in.
  • hloadhload Member Posts: 27
    first tank 44 mpg, second 40
  • rdmatosrdmatos Member Posts: 11
    Hello everyone, I am about to purchase my first new car and I am seriously considering a Jetta TDI, however I do have a few questions for you Jetta TDI owners. First of all, does the Jetta TDI have a loud engine like other diesel cars that I have been in? Is the TDI more expensive to operate than a normal gas engine and is diesel gas easy to come by in your areas? and lastly what are the things you like and dislike about your Jetta TDI. Any feedback back would be wonderful. Take care and drive safely, RDM.
    First of all, thank you everyone for your responses. My car has 10,250 miles now and it was bought new. I am going to take it to a different shop, but the mileage is getting worse right now. I live in Baltimore, MD.
    Noise: at idle it has a bit of a chatter to it, although I've noticed if you get good fuel it can be very quiet. General driving it's fairly quiet and doesn't have the diesel sound many trucks have. You never get that wound-up buzz box sound many small 4cyl have which is a plus for me. I can't stand the average gas 4cyl but the diesel actually sounds like it has some power. On the highway it's quieter than many gas 4cyl's and has a much lower (less annoying) tone IMHO. From 70mph up to 100mph it doesn't get overly loud at all. Not V8 quiet but very good for something burning 40-50mph.

A TDI will be cheaper to operate than any gas Jetta. There are some very high mpg gas gars out there though which might be similar in overall cost. However they don't drive or feel anywhere near as substantial as a Jetta. The Jetta is about the only small car I've driven that feels very nice. A corolla or civic for instance feels very cheap and floppy to me. A lot of the cost depends on fuel prices. In my area diesel and gas are very similar in price, other areas pay a premium for diesel, some less. If gas prices skyrocket, typically diesel doesn't increase at the same rate. Gas jumped $.15/gallon a week or so ago and diesel jumped $.05 so diesel was cheaper for awhile. Now they're about the same.

Diesel is everywhere in my area. About half the stations carry it plus I'm near an interstate with truck stops everywhere.

I like driving the Jetta it feels very nice and solid. Has some nice features similar sized cars don't have. With the TDI it can typically get in the 40-50mpg range plus go 600-700 miles on a tank.

What I don't like? Well I've not had any problems with mine but some folks report some "quirky" problems. Many folks recommend running additives in the fuel (especially in the winter) which is somewhat of a pain but then again I only fill-up at 650 mile intervals. Diesel smells a bit and can stick with you if you spill it on you. A pair of gloves in the trunk takes care of that. None of these really bother me but those are the issues I've heard others complain about. I've had a diesel pickup for many years so I'm a bit more experienced with this, but many car owners don't know anything about it. I'm at 60K miles on my '00 and no complaints really. Changed the timing belt, replaced a sensor, oil every 10K miles, new set of tires, a couple power window motors (big problem that they have now fixed and extended the warranty on previous models) and still have the factory brake-pads. Probably not as reliable as a Toyota but I've owned several toyotas and this car has tremedously more character. Worth the few "issues" in my book.
  • deaner14deaner14 Member Posts: 40
    I'm a little anal about tracking my mileage... I bought a 2002 Jetta in Sept and have put 11k on it already. It's a 75-mile, round trip, daily commute for me.

Off the dealers lot I got 44.5 mpg (my lowest) and have a high of 50.2 mpg. Average tank is 49 and change.

The only issue I've had with the car is replacing the front door window regulator clamp. The passenger window went down; wouldn't go up. This, of course, was replaced under warranty; And they replaced both. nice.

The only other minor annoyance with the car is the superfluous noise emanating from above the windows while driving on moderately rough roads. This is remedied by increasing the volume on my stereo.

BTW, thanks for the quality posts. There's a lot of knowledgeable people out there. Thanks for sharing.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    Thinking about getting a used TDI (Beetle, Golf, or Jetta - doesn't matter to me) but they all seem loaded with power windows, locks, mirrors, sunroofs, etc., which I consider unnecessary repair risks. Is there a year/model someone can recommend for a basic VW (TDI-only) ?

My '87 Golf didn't have power anything - not even power steering, and I loved that car, nice & simple. Of course, the Golf was a huge step up from my '69 Squareback!
    The 99.5-2002 Golf/Jetta GL line has manual windows, while the GLS has power windows. From 2003 on they all have power windows however. The sunroof is an option in all years, so you won't be forced into that. You will not get around the power locks, they all have them, but trust me, once you get used to keyless entry, you will never want to stick your key in the door again anyways.
    if they do crap themselves, it's not really a big deal. Just go to manual mode!
    Not true with VWs and power locks. You can't push the door buttons down manually for some reason. So you need the "power" function. Also, the keyless entry and alarm tie into the locks as well.
    The only models without power windows will be the Jetta GL or Golf GL. The Golf GL was 2-door only up to 2002, then it came in as a 4-door model. Also, power stuff was added as standard to all 2003 models, so they all have it. Sunroofs are not available as options on the GL models either, so you don't have to worry about that. You have been seeing all GLS models, which come with power windows standard. Most of them also are equipped with the sunroof/alloy wheel package too.
  • cabrales1cabrales1 Member Posts: 36
    Eddie - I live in the Washington DC area (MD side). I've had my car for one month, and so far on tree tanks I have gotten 43.9, 44.0, and 42 mpg., so I don't think your area is the problem. I drive about 50/50 city/hwy. I do think the cold snap we have been having may have something to do with my lowere mileage on the last tank. Do you always fill up at the same station? If so you may want to try a different station/brand, just to make sure. The other idea is the one above regarding shifting. I know when my wife drives the car she revs it out on every gear. I have a feeling that sucks down the fuel. Maybe one of the more experienced TDI drivers can tell us what the optimum shift points are for the different gears. I very seldom rev the car past 2800 rpm.
    When I am driving, I usually shift at about 2400-2500 RPM. If I am driving hard, more like 3500, but there is really no reason to go any higher than that.
    I shift around 2500 RPM's as well. Actually I go to any one of three or four different stations that are all different brands, so it is not that. I just need to have the dealer dig into it. She is do for an oil change anyway...If anyone else has any suggestions they are greatly appreciated.
  • retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    Reduced mileage could be the result of dragging brakes..either the hand brake or the regular ones..Try jacking up the car to check how much drag there might be..It may pay to do all wheels in the event only one is dragging...

This suggestion is based on other car brands..I don't have recent VW experience..
  • duluthmnduluthmn Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am considering buying a Jetta wagon with the TDI engine. I live in northern MN and the winters are long and cold. It is not unusual to have -20 degrees air temperatures here. Do any of you have experience with your TDI in the cold weather? Fuel jelling, other issues. This is the only thing I am worried about with this engine. I look forward to your responses. Thank you.
    These things seem to run fine well into very low temps, the main thing being you get quality fuel. Most jelling issues would be bad fuel. The use of additives seems to take care of most fuel issues, unless you would just get some serious rot-gut fuel somewhere. We've had -17 here lately and no issues whatsoever. I usually let the glow-plugs cycle twice because it starts much smoother that way, although it will start every time even if I only run them once. Most any diesel is not going to start overly smooth at these temps, but they will start and be fine within a few seconds. Most gassers aren't exactly excited to start at those temps either.

The only advice I can give you is a diesel takes quite awhile to warm up, so if you have a short commute you may never get heat unless you have a coolant heater installed (this also makes much easier starts). Idling doesn't do much either, you really need to drive it to get the engine temp to come up. So if you only commute 10 minutes you'll just be getting toasty when you get to work. These vehicles are great for long commutes, and very cost effective when used in that manner. Seat heaters are a must in cold temps, unfortunetely I bought mine out of Texas and so my rump stays cold longer than it should.
    The more I read this board, the more I kinda wish I would have gone with the TDI instead of the 1.8T. I commute about 35 miles one way, and definitely could have benefitted from the mileage increase! Oh well, maybe next time...
    I have been considering a TDI Jetta wagon..my driving distances can often be 5 miles to and back from town..Since I live where 32 degrees is the normal low...passenger heat is not a concern..but, does this type of driving have an adverse effect on the engine?

I live around 65 miles from the dealer, so I cannot even consider a gas VW..TIA
    This type of driving does affect both gassers and diesels. Basically if the exhaust system doesn't get hot enough to vaporize the water from the exhaust emissions, it will lead to premature exhaust pipe corrosion. This type of driving also produce more acids in the oil which corrode the metal surfaces in the engine.
    I was at Mieneke getting brakes done a couple years ago, and a customer there had gone through 2 mufflers because of what you described. The warranty didn't cover them either, since the mufflers rusted from the inside out.
    I assume rusted mufflers would indicate that TDI's don't have stainless steel systems..

Do they have catalytic converters?

My present 1996 Saturn SL 1 has a stainless steel system..It has 46k and the original system..

I understand that unburned acids can cause engine problems..do present day oils have chemicals to handle that condition?

I do run the car a 120 mile trip every month or so.
    We live in the Hill Country of Texas where the temperatures are warm to hot most of the year..and there is realitively low humidity..as possible mitigating conditions..

I guess what my concern is..would a diesel engine suffer worse effects than a gas engine..
    shoot me an email at tnguyen@pica.army.mil

I can point you to a good source of info, without directly violating the membership agreement
    The car I was talking about was not a TDI, it was an older Chevy pickup truck. But I am sure it would work the same. Steel is galvanized on the outside to prevent rust, not on the inside.
    I dont see any reason why it would be any worse than a gas engine. With low mileage like that, you could go a month on a tank of fuel!
    engines burn more fuel when they aren't operating at optimum temps. The gasser will hit its optimum running temp much quicker than a diesel, particularly if you're just driving around town. It's possible to never hit optimum temp on a diesel if just putzing around town.

Granted the diesel will still likely get better mpg overall, but the added cost over say a small 4cyl gas car plus other factors adds up. If all I did was mainly around town, I'd have to think hard about the diesel. I do between 100-180 miles per day so it's a no-brainer. It's possible I still could have saved money with a gasser, say a Toyota ECHO or similar tiny junk-box but I won't drive something like that just to save a buck. The Jetta is a very nice car even though it's rather small. I put it between a Honda and a BMW, but still gets better mpg than the Honda.
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Tiny Echo? The Jetta has 87 cubic feet of passenger volume, the Echo has 88.

Granted, there is no comparison when it comes to crash worthiness, ride, safety features. But the Jetta is also in a completely different league pricewise.

How long do you think it will take for a TDI Jetta with it's outstanding gas mileage (diesel mileage?) to recover the $ 5000 to $ 8000 price difference? (never for most people, they don't keep their car long enough).

If you factor in financing the Jetta doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the long distance commuter. I drive 40K miles per year myself and debated between the TDI Golf and the Echo for quite some time.
  • pica1pica1 Member Posts: 23
    I filled up my Jetta wagon (GL, manual transmission) for the first time tonight. I averaged 44.25 mpg -- I'm still breaking in the engine, though, so I'm sure that will improve.

Anyway, this is my first diesel engine, so I'm not sure who's fuel is good and who's fuel to avoid. BP? Shell? Marathon? Pilot?

I've seen biodiesel mentioned on several boards. I live east of Cleveland, but rarely get downtown. I live in a small town about 90 mintues east of Cleveland, actually closer to Erie, Pa. If anyone knows a station that offers biodiesel in my area (Lake, Ashtabula, eastern Cuyahoga counties, for those who know the area), please let me know.

Thanks!

Mark
    I have heard that the BP Supreme, or whatever they call their premium diesel, is pretty much the best stuff you can get. Unfortunately, there is not a BP to be seen in New England, so I don't know. I use Shell all the time, and it seems to keep me running smooth. I have noticed it running rougher on Mobil and Esso fuel.
    I said "tiny junk-box", not just "tiny". The Jetta is tiny IMHO as well, but a pretty decent vehicle with nice features. I think I alluded to the fact that I could have saved money (although it's up in the air how much) with a tiny gas vehicle. Don't forget the TDI will always be worth substantially more than the Echo so you're only recovering so much of the money.

When the Passat TDI arrives, that will be my commuter.

I'll restate: if money is the only concern there are possibly cheaper choices than a TDI.
    I've also have debated the TDI Golf or the Echo myself. It was the driving experience that led me to the Golf
    A friend of mine has one. Feels like NOTHING compared to the Jetta when driving them on the same highways and the same speeds. Also, on the highway wind from heavier vehicles (trucks, etc.) blow the Echo around and make it feel feather light. Not so with the Jetta.
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    I agree with you guys. When it comes to driving the vehicle there is no comparison. It's a completely different class of vehicle. I had three different Golf's and one Jetta while living in Germany a few years ago, so I know exactly what to expect from VW. A pleasure to drive at speeds in excess of 100Mph, far superior to the Echo.

In my personal case, I drive my cars until they are not worth anything. After 300k to 350k miles neither the Echo or the Golf/Jetta will have a resale value to speak of. Granted, you would get a few more dollars for the VW but not much more.

I was going for the absolute lowest expense per month but still looking for a decent car.
  • natescapenatescape Member Posts: 176
    For the most comprehensive list of biodiesel retailers I know of, check out this page - http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/retailfuelingsites/defau- lt.shtm
  • inthewoodsinthewoods Member Posts: 6
    I am considering a TDI purchase and wonder if there is a clear winner in the snow. Golf, Jetta, Jetta Wagon, or Beetle. Any info/experience would be helpfull.