Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Using your rule of thumb the Jetta Wagon TDI which weighs 3161 lbs would achieve less mpg than the Jetta TDI sedan which weighs 2974 lb. The drag coefficient on the sedan is .30 compared to .32 on the wagon so this is also a factor against the wagon.
    The wagon is rated at 42/50 mpg and the sedan is rated 42/49.
    Real world reports also have the owners of wagons acieving higer mpg than sedans. This is according to owners who own or previously owned sedans and now have wagons.
    The heavier, higer cd wagon has better mpg than lighter sedan. Hmmm.

Theory is nice in the lab but on the street it does not always work.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    So you would say that people that tend to buy Jetta wagons are NOT:

1. smaller minority group than the 6% of TDI owners

2. tend not to be more conservative in driving?

There are always exceptions to the rule, but it is typically American, in fact human nature to make the exception the rule!?

Pretty soon you will be telling me an automatic can consistently achieve better mpg than the stick? General information, Jetta Wagon are 42/50, 34/45 EPA. Gee according to you I wonder why the Jetta Wagon auto gets 34/45?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    (1) I hear that their will be a 6-speed ?
    (2) I also heard thta there will be a 100hp version

(3) What is the real interval for oil change and timing belts?

(4) How is the reliaiblity?

(5) any change back to free schduled maintenance? or continue with the current 4yr 50K miles?

(6) Pricing ? Fincancing?
    Is 45 vs. 49 mpg a big deal? No, not to me.
    For example. Diesel was $1.37 yesterday and if I use the 45 mpg rating the fuel cost is $.03 per mile and if I use the 49 mpg rating the fuel cost is $.028 per mile. $.002 per mile is no big deal to me. Is it to anyone? That is $200 over 100,000 miles using the above numbers. WooHoo, I'm willing to pay the $200.
    Final information is not 100% confirmed for 2004.
    What is expected is-

1. 5 speed tiptronic or 5 speed manual.
    2. 100 hp PD engine
    3. Oil change and timing belt interval, warranty, pricing, are unknown or unconfirmed at this time.

Expect reliability scores to continue to be below average. Pricing will likely be higher. Warranty will likely remain the same as the 2003 models.
    If you read the auto owners original post. It was a big deal. As you probably over looked, I said the mileage that owner was receiving was NORMAL for an auto.
    quote ruking-Gee according to you I wonder why the Jetta Wagon auto gets 34/45? end quote

34/45 mpg is what VW states. My explanation is the automatic is less efficient than manual. What is yours?
    I am not sure why you have a burr in your saddle. I think I have already stated the answer. If you need to be wacked between the eyes with a 2x4, I am not your man.
    The facts are that the timing belt is required to be changed at 80,000 or 100,000 miles irregardless of transmission. This is according to VW who designed the vehicle.

Anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal. Not reliable. I've never seen a failure to timing belt on an auto TDI and three on manual transmission TDI. Means very little to someone who has a failure.

The intelligent way to proceed is to check the timing belt when required, change it if it requires, and never exceed the recommended manufacturer intervals.
    Correcting misleading information and presenting a different viewpoint or opinion on TDI is my only intent. Having owned both manual transmission TDI and auto, Jetta and Golf, wagon and hatch, I have some experience to relate.

No 2x4's or saddles involved.
    "Anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal. Not reliable. I've never seen a failure to timing belt on an auto TDI and three on manual transmission TDI. Means very little to someone who has a failure"

"Correcting misleading information and presenting a different viewpoint or opinion on TDI is my only intent. Having owned both manual transmission TDI and auto, Jetta and Golf, wagon and hatch, I have some experience to relate."

So I guess even you discount your own information and experiences!!??

You dont need anyone else for the 2x4 action.
    quote rukin "So I guess even you discount your own information and experiences!!??

The information posted is correct. I do discount "as in make allowance for" my experiences and those of others. If I have a lemon VW it does not make all VW's lemons. Your posts somewhat indicate you have a prejudice against automatic transmissions. Is this true?
    Well good, then we are both in the same boat. I am relating my own experiences with a TDI and Jetta. Whether it the gospel, for sure I know NOT!, I think of it just adding to the data base!

When you say prejudice what does that mean?
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    Has anyone seen the Edmunds First Drive test on the 2004 Toyota Prius? It beats the TDI 0-60 by 2.5 sec and gets better mpg without manual shift. Does anyone know what the 0-60 time will be for the 05 TDI? I have test driven 2 current TDIs and they make me ill. VW seems to have trouble with turbo lag, even in the 1.8T gaser. I have not driven the 2004 Toyota Prius yet. I want a 55 mpg car that goes 0-60 in 8 sec and is fun to drive. Maybe TDI/electric? VW, are you listening?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    What's this need for getting to 60mph? Is that the only speed you drive? You can do some easy improvements to squeeze lots of power out of a current TDI without harming the mileage (although you aren't going to get 55mpg on anything drag-racing it 24-7). The TDI is very fun to drive even with a stock engine as the torque band is very usable. But if the only miles you put on your car are from 0-60, then that doesn't matter to you. My TDI will cruise 85mph all day long and still get mid-40's, and actually feel like you have a car under you. Probably hand a Prius it's breakfast through the twisties as well. Those low-rolling resistence tires have a bad side-effect called "buick estate handling".

Best of luck in YOUR new Toyota Prius. I have been buying Toyota's for a while,and while I was recently at the dealer for a smog check on a Toyota Landcruiser, I had a chance to check out a Prius. True the gas mileage is GREAT 45/52 mpg, I was not impressed at all.

While the Zero-60 benchmark has been around for a long long time, it almost is just another among many of factors. The TDI has a Zero to 60 of (I am guessing) 10-12 seconds? Edmunds lists the Prius as 12.8. One of my TDI Jetta's stable mates is a 4 second zero to 60 Z06 and I got to tell you I have no problem merging into ANY kind of traffic with either. As a matter of fact I don't even KNOW the zero to 60 for the Toyota Landcruisers!!?? So in fact I can add that I have no problem in merging into traffic with ANY of them. If the Prius meets YOUR needs in comparison to the TDI models by all means: GO FOR IT. Again according to Edmunds.com, this is a $20k car. I got my TDI for way under that.

Since unscheduled maintenance was a concern for me in the VW JETTA I got into one of many VW anonymous groups. They have been very helpful in dealing with my addiction :). But I tell you I would be downright apprehensive with a Prius. While they have been selling in Japan since 1997, the fact of the matter that batteries conceptually were NEVER designed to motivate a car or more correctly do not do it effectively and the batteries DO NOT last at all (you are in luck if the batteries last 5 years). I also have driven all electric vehicles in the service and also have towed critical national assets with them, so I do have some special purpose vehicle hands on.

All of us TDI'ers bemoan the lack of GOOD diesel mechanics. So would you say there are more or LESS hybrid mechanics?

My take on my mileage is currently we get between 45-50. Part of the reason is that this car seems love being run! XXX digit highway cruising is second nature and in fact the car was designed with the autobahn in mind. (.205 injectors, AW AW AW)
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Why all the "fuss" abour 0-60 time? I cant think of the last time I went 0-60 at full throttle.

Under REAL driving conditions, the TDI has plenty of torque to accellerate to pass beyond that of any same-displacement gasoline engine. (40-60 time)

What about quality interier design, fit -n- finish, handling, braking, ride quality, interiour noise levels, seating position...etc (I could go on for awhile)

Did you know that many automobile manufactures PURPOSLY tewak the engine-tranny to look good on paper? (ie ... 0-60 times) This has little bearing on REAL driving conditions. There was an interesting 'study' about this.

Personally, I spend much more time DRIVING my vehicles than I do with FULL-THROTTLE BURSTS from 0-60MPH. I look for a comftable,quiet ride that gets good MPG during NORMAL driving conditions. (I average about 52MPG)

Besides... those HYBRID vehicles are hard on the envrionment. The battery-packs are HAZZARDUS WASTE and very expensive to replace every few years.

AS FOR TURBO-LAG... Why do you suggest that VW has "trouble" with it. This is not "trouble" by any stretch of the imagination. It is just the nature of a turbocharger... PERIOD. (Just like lightbulbs make HEAT, lawnmowers make NOISE and it hurts when you hit your thumb with a hammer... it is the nature of the beast)

There are allready several TDI/electric vehicles available.... just not in NorthAmerica.
    Thought I'd add that I have a 4X4 Chevy Tahoe that by all magazine reviews I've seen will click off 0-60 in around 8 seconds. That would have to be the only possible way it's quicker than my TDI. I drive both on a regular basis and the Tahoe is not fast, even disregarding the obvious handling difference between the two. Anywhere, anytime, the TDI feels quicker. In fact, when it comes to driving hilly roads, the TDI feels more powerful than my Audi A6 V8. The TDI will eat hills for lunch, where I'm guessing the hybid motors are going to be taxing the batteries quickly and relying on a small gas engine much more. Keep us posted.
    The facts for the Prius as stated above are for the 2003. I guess you guys did not read Edmunds front page today! The 2004 Prius is 55/55 mpg with auto while near zero emissions! Amazing!!

I too have a Chevy 4x4 and I completely disagree. The truck amazes me, even pulling 5000 lbs. Throttle response is beyond there. Now I test drive a TDI, hit the gas...nothing happens....when the car is finally pulling...it is time to shift! VW states 0-60 in 12.5 sec with manual, 14.9 sec with auto (yikes). The 2004 Prius is 10 sec flat with auto. That’s a big difference while getting better mpg. I want good acceleration while getting good mpg and a fun to drive car. I think the 2005 Golf with TDI/manual will be just that.

Now imagine the TDI having the 295 ft/lbs of torque the Prius has. I think that would overcome the turbo lag and make on heck of a fun to drive car and get even better mpg.

For the record, I have been driving my friends Audi A4 1.8T with automatic Quattro. I also HATE that car. You can floor the car at a light and let up on the gas and no one in the car would even know you stepped on the gas. Try that in a Chevy.
    I think the problem is you're flooring it. If every car was as simple to drive as put your foot to the floor, that would be real fun. You have to know how to drive a diesel, and red-lining it does nothing for performance. I don't have the space to teach you how to drive one, but mine is much quicker than my '02 5.3L 4X4 Tahoe, with the possible exception of flat-out 0-60. The Tahoe is slow unless you peg the throttle right from the get-go. Highway acceleration is phenominal on the TDI. I accelerated from 60mph-90mph half-way up a mountain in WV yesterday to get around a truck. The Tahoe would have still be putzing behind that truck for miles because there is no way it would have pulled that off. But hey, it'll get to 60 in 8 seconds if you want. In summary, if you don't like driving buy the Prius. VW's are fun to drive and with a TDI can be both fun and very economical.
    According to VW, the TDI doesn't have any problems a V-10 TDI with 300 hp and 550 # ft of torque will not address.:) Problem? It can not be imported to the good ole US of A! Seems the import authorities always put the "kaibosch" on the real hot stuff!
    I don't agree with you and I am sure I have more experience with diesels than you think. I grew up on a farm and have been driving them in one form or another since I was 5. Your post is contradictory. It is a fact that your Tahoe is MUCH quicker 0 to 60, by at least 4 secs! That is a lot. I would expect your Tahoe pulling about 5000 lbs would have a 0 to 60 time equal to your VW. Maybe your Tahoe is not running correctly. The Tahoe would have pulled that hill climb quicker too, but it would have had to downshift. It will climb most any hill at its 98 mph governed limit with no problem in third gear. I have a gtech meter and time every car or truck I get my hands on. The last one I timed was a Dodge Cummins with a Banks stage 3 kit with a manual trans. 0 to 60 was 10.3 sec. It does seem quick with all the drama, but it is not. However, I do agree that it will pull a hill amazingly in high gear, even with a load.

So, I think what you are trying to say is the VW feels quicker. There can be many reasons for that from the VW being lower to the ground, engine noise, vibration, and the feeling from the hill being pulled without downshifting. But, if you take your stopwatch with you I think you will be surprised.

For one thing I don't like the looks of the Prius. I can appreciate great engineering when I see it and Toyota has done it again. They are light-years ahead of most other car manufactures. I still say that TDI/electric would be a great combination.
    If I read your above post correctly, you will not be buying a Prius any time soon, or another car for that matter especially since you think a TDI electric would be a good combination. More importantly, the TDI/electric is not on the market.
    I didn't say anything about the Tahoe not being able to pull the hill at 98mph, I said it couldn't accelerate as fast in my passing situation. Acceleration at those speeds is not impressive, which is where a TDI takes off quite nicely. By the time the Tahoe decides to downsift and build some rpms, I'd be half-way around the person in my TDI. I have a couple highway on-ramps I use regularly. If I peg the Tahoe at the bottom of the ramp it does fine, but if I'm accelerating normally and half-way up realize I need more steam to merge with some high-speed traffic, I'm a dead duck. I've never been unable to merge with the TDI. BTW, the TDI will run up hills in top-gear well in excess of 98mph, which is way too fast for a Tahoe anyway.

I also did not say the Tahoe was slower 0-60, I agreed that it was faster. In many other circumstances though, it is not. I do have about 25% more power than a stock TDI. I've never actually measured the 0-60, partly because it's not a standard that tells me much. I've driven many cars that have low 0-60's that don't feel all that fast in day to day driving. I don't call constant red-lining the engine day-to-day driving. I'll give you another example. My daughter has an '02 Celica GTS (borderline lemon at this point, but that's another story). That car CAN get to 60mph somewhat quickly, but good lord do you have to work for that power. Driving around on typical country roads is a chore and six speeds is hardly enough. Around town, don't even think about dropping below 3 grand or you'll be behind the pack. I just don't personally like driving like that. And talk about a lame duck on the hills, turn the A/C on and it feels like any cheap economy car. Requires premium fuel and very lucky if you get 30mpg on the highway. She's been driving my TDI on all the trips to the dealership to try and fix her car and she's determined to weasel it off of me. I'll probably trade her car in on a Passat TDI when/if they make it here.

I've got a Cummins Ram we use exculsively for towing. I've driven it some empty and it doesn't feel fast to me, even with the HO six-speed and 305hp. I've seen them do 13's at the track though so I'm sure there's potential. As long as it pulls our 16,000# trailer down the highway at 70mph, I'm happy.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    You need HP to get good 0-60 or qtr mile times. The TDI does not have much HP only 90 stock. It's the torque this engine generates that make it a gem. I used to have an 01 Jetta TDI and just loved it. I sold it because my wife got a company car and we have a boat to tow, so the TDI was a 3rd car I didn't need (resale was great, I sold if for 3K less than I paid after a year and 35K miles). We drove the tdi to florida with family aboard (2 adults & 2kids plus luggage for a week), the car easily pulled steep grades it top gear at 75mph and avg 48mpg. I'd bet the acceleration times don't change much with a full load, that can't be said of any gas 4cylinder cars. As others have mentioned you have to learn how to drive a diesel, once you figure out how to utilize the torque band I found it to be very satisfying. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I just wish I could get a midsize SUV with a diesel.
    TDI is strong off the line. 0-40 is much better than 40-0. The "feel" of the TDI being quick is due to the large amount of low RPM torque and it is well suited to the "American" driving style with a lot of starts and stops. TDI would not be my choice for any 1/4 mile races, but it is my choice for commuting and city driving.
  • dinternetdinternet Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me where I could find a Jetta TDI with manual trans and beige leather? End of model year they seem to be all gone....
    Just ask your VW salesman to get on the computer and find you one. If there is one available at ANY dealership, he will find it.

HOWEVER: Since you have such specific 'needs', you will most likely find there are very few to choose from. Heck... many folks have to 'order' somthing like that up to several months BEFORE THE PRODUCTION RUN STARTS.

It goes without saying that the less 'picky' one is, the wider the selection will be.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....after scoping the fuel efficiency noted in this thread.........would seem about the best I could do to replace my '82 VW diesel pickup. Best to date has been just under 55 MPG. But then again, a TDI with a 5-speed would sure go good in a pickup.....ez
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Let's wait until gas (diesel) is $ 3 per gallon. I'll bet that some of the diesel engines offered elsewhere (Europe, Asia and Southamerica) will start appearing in the USA.

Right now gas is too inexpensive and there is not enough demand for diesel versions of most vehicles.
    I used to have one of those VW rabbit-pickups. I loved it. Just the right size for me. It was my very first pickup 'truck'.

I could load my snowmobile by just lifting the skiis up to the tailgate. (Tailgate height was about knee-high)

In addition to my snowmobile, I hauled gravel, picnic tables, helped friends move and generally worked that thing pretty hard. At 120K miles, it was still running strong when I traded it. (Too bad it was rusting badly)

Since the plant where these were built in the USA (Latrobe PA) is now a SONY factory... the rabbit-pickup is no longer available in NorthAmerica.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....as I had no idea that Latrobe, PA factory was now a SONY installation. I obviously (after 18 years and circa 280,000 miles) like the pickup. And with #2 diesel markedly less than 87 octane here in the state capital, I best be liking it even more....thanks again.........ez
  • vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    I'm seeing this offered on E-Bay. Anyone use one? What kind of performance increase did you get? How hard was it to install?
    I've seen a lot of problems with some brands of power boxes. VanAaken Smart Box (VASB) appears to be the best with little to no side-effect. Some of the cheaper boxes can cause smoke, and check-engine lights which can cause problems for the novice. I ran a VASB with zero problems and nice power improvement. The resale of a VASB is also quite good in case you decide you want to go for more upgrades. I imagine the cheaper boxes have little to no value if you decide you don't want it. I bought mine used and resold it for the same price I paid for it. For someone just wanting a mild (but actually quite decent) power increase, a VASB would be a very nice upgrade. It was a very noticeable improvement, but I can't say anything about the other boxes, just what I've heard other complain. I've never seen a complaint on a VASB.
    Only one word for you... UPSOLUTE!!
    http://www.upsolute.com/
  • dinternetdinternet Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the 2004 Jetta GLS wagon with TDI and manual trans will be avilable with sunroof? I think I read that that will not be an option. Can someone provide me with the latest 04 info like price and availability?
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Member Posts: 243
    Moparbud questioned why the heavier wagon gets better mileage than the sedan.
    Very simple answer: its a better car!

Same reason a Passat is a better car than my NB TDI.
    The Jetta wagons are built in Germany.
    If you just drive around town the hybrid works.
    Drive 1/2 hour on the freeway and any VW will smoke you on 0-60. The hybrid relies on regenerative braking to top-up the batteries to help get going again.

On I-5 my TDI is in the fast lane at 85+ MPH, and I've never seen a Prius that isn't in the slow lane trying to keep up to the speed limit.

The Prius is Toyota's attempt at environmental brownie points to make up for the 8 or so models of SUVs they sell (5 Toyota SUVs, 3 Lexus SUVs if you count RX300 & RX330 as one model)! That's why they sell them at a loss.
    But its the worst environmental disaster of them all. If anyone looked into how much energy is consumed, and pollution is generated, to create the exotic metals in the high-density magnet/motor asemblies (plus the batteries) these vehicles would be banned! But it's OK ... its only killing people in Asia, Russia, etc. We here in North America aren't directly affected. (out of site ....)
    People who don't know how to drive a turbo will never appreciate their potential. But, as another poster said, explaining WHY the car accelerates faster when you press the accelerator slowly or why if can put out more power at partial throttle versus full throttle requires an entire web page.

And I'd be surprised if there aren't ones out there already. Any links to "driving turbo-charged cars for dummies" ???
    then I'll shut up (been catching up tonight)

An almost show-room stock GOLF TDI won the SCCA Rally championship racing against SUBARUs and Toyota Celicas. The performance of the high-torque diesel engine combined with higher reliability enabled it to overtake all gas-powered competitors.

Here's one site with a nice synopsis:
    http://www.motorsportvortex.com/features/rallyvw/rallyvw.html

(Try winning that championship in a Prius! :)
    "...Jon picked up his brand new Golf TDI from a VW dealer in October and it immediately went under the knife and was built into a full blown SCCA rally car in just two months. The car had the roll cage installed and plenty of gusseting, welding, and bracing to make sure the car could handle the massive punishment it would endure throughout the year. Racing seats and belts were also installed to keep the drivers safe and secure should the unthinkable occur. Once the car was finished, Jon and his crew were confident they had a winner on their hands.

Building a rally car from scratch in such a short amount of time is quite an accomplishment, made even more impressive when you realize that it was done completely out of Jon’s own pocket... "

I am not sure you are reading the same article that you posted that I read! If so, the term "...almost showroom stock..." could apply to a NASCAR Chevy!!!!???
    obviously, by "showroom stock" I was referring to the engine/drive-train. All the modifications to the car involved reinforcing the body which actually adds weight and diminishes performance.
    A 90-HP TDI beating 4-WD Suburus and well-financed Toyota cars with double the HP rating (& less weight) is a true testament to the performance of the VW diesels.
    Imagine how fast the new A8 is with a 4-litre diesel rated at 3-times the power of the SCCA winning Golf's engine!
    Since I do not know the exact specifications on engine requirements, modification, etc. I will take your word for it.

So when the author sez "...building a rally car from scratch..." that truly does NOT connote to me "show room" stock.

Again, to really state the obvious, if it WAS showroom stock, why didnt he say THAT!!?? Reason? Ethos! Common man (target audience) can, off the showroom floor keeping the stock engine, and modify a TDI body for the rigors of rally racing.
  • edanieledaniel Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if service agreements are included in the purchase of new Jetta TDIs? (routine maintenance type service, not warranty repair stuff)

Thanks!
    VW paid for routine service when I bought my '98 Beetle new, but I think they dropped it since.
    I believe Audi still offers this.
    VW probably dropped it to make price comparisons against Japanese cars closer, as the maintenance was built into the purchase price. Even so, their warantee is better than Toyota's, the cars have many more safety features standard, and they handle much better over bad roads than anything from Asia. (Most European cars handle bad roads nicely).
    On the flip side, you do have to do the maintenance on a European car. If you wait till something breaks (like lots of folks do with Japanese cars) then you'll be in big trouble.
    But if you maintain any German car, they last a LONG time ... and VWs also have higher resale values than Japanese cars.

NOTE: Only the Jetta wagon is built in Germany. The sedans are not quite as good. The heavier wagons even get better mileage.
    Within 6 months you'll be able to get a German built Passat TDI with 134 HP. And it has the 5-speed Tiptronic, which you can't get in a Jetta.
    You might consider waiting for that one!
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I believe the same time VW dropped the free scheduled Maintenance(2002 model year), they increased the bumper to bumper from 2/24 to 4/50. Much better deal I think!!!!
    5 speed tiptronic is available in Jetta TDI in 04. Golf too.

Jetta Wagon built in Germany is no better than Jetta Sedan built in Mexico. No one has been able to point out any factual differences in quality. A major amount of the components such as TDI engine are made in Europe no matter if the car is assembled in Mexico or Germany.

I'm not sure what would cause this, tighter gaps in the doors?! Gee, I think I'd lend the slight difference to possible aerodynamic or variance in the testing conditions. I've not seen any proof that german built Golfs get better mpg than NA built ones. Seems like the same typical problems apply to those cars as well regardless of where they were built.
  • deaner14deaner14 Member Posts: 40
    For those of you who didn't know -- like me -- what tiptronic is/does...

Tiptronic® is a special kind of transmission. It combines the convenience and refinement of the automatic transmission with the driving pleasure and dynamics of a manual transmission. The driver can switch from automatic to manual mode at any time while driving. In both modes, gear shifts take place with no power interruption.

To see a picture of it. Looky here -- where I found the above info.

http://www.audiusa.com/lexicon/0,3864,categoryId-5_glossaryId-159- _,00.html#159
  • tdidisgusted1tdidisgusted1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Jetta TDI with 65K miles. This past May we took the car into the dealer because the engine smoked and lacked power. The diagnosis was a plugged egr valve, cooler and intake manifold. Repairs ran approx. $3K. It took several visits to the dealer before the engine ran well - the last time the dealer had the car for over a month. I asked the dealer what was causing the excesive buildup - they couldn't answer. I was directed to VW customer care. They told me that it was a maintenance issue, not a flaw in the engine (a little arrogance and covering their backside). When I asked for a proper mainteneace routine I could get no answer (one month in waiting for someone from VW to get back with me) My concern is that in 2 years I will have to go through this same routine again. At this rate, my Expedition is cheaper to operate than the Jetta. VW sure doesn't score high in caring about satisfying the customer. Any suggestions?