Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

daewoo cars need info

johnson39johnson39 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Daewoo
2001 daewoocars are they a good one have thay been any recalls on them how do they run how long do they last are there anycompanice on them

Comments

• Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    oh my god that sentence above is readable what the hell did you just say learn to type Deawoos suck
  • Options
    adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    The vehicles are very well built. Hopefully now that GM will aquire Daewoo there will be some financial stability. Don't know about recalls.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    lance---be nice!

johnson---here's a website that lists some of the Daewoo recalls:

http://www.safetyalerts.com/rcls/category/autosub/d-f.htm#daewood

• Options
    hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    Just saw a Daewoo TV commercial (how long has it been since they have had any money for one of those ? )They are offering O% financing and have upped the ante on warranty to 5 years & 100K ! Gotta move all those 2001's SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY !!

hudrahead
  • Options
    silvernubirasilvernubira Member Posts: 59
    -yes they are good (and inexpensive) cars

-no recalls on my wife's 2000 Nubira so far

- I read "daewoo nubira" thread few minutes ago; last entry shows a Nubira at 65K miles with practically no problems (we have only about 5000 miles on ours)

-our Nubira is the BEST "initial quality" car we ever owned. Better than my lemon 1998 Camry (Toyota Motor Sales bought it back since they could not/would not repair it) Nubira's initial quality is also better than my 2000 BMW 323i

-the BMW's cost was about three times the cost of Nubira and we paid for Nubira only about 60 percent of what we paid for Camry

I won't hesitate to say that Nubira was the BEST CAR I purchased EVER, if you consider price and quality together (I purchased my first car in 1966).

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I have two reservations about these cars:

1. While they may be decent little cars at a good price, will you be able to get parts 5 years from now?

2. My wife had a Daewoo microwave when we met. I don't know if I could bring myself to own a car that shares its name with a kitchen appliance.
  • Options
    It's happened before! Crosley was a radio and a car, and Sears had a car called the Allstate for a short while. Also Sunbeam, but that was a different company.

I believe automakers who sell in this country are obligated to provide spare parts for a certain number of years after their withdrawal from the US market, but I forgot the number...I think 10.
  • Options
    mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Well, I learned something today. Thanks Mr. Shiftright.
  • Options
    adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    If there is no more company (like going out of business)...... That law is probably assuming the manufacturer is still in business. Fortunately GM will be owning Daewoo's liabilities and that won't be an issue.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Where would we even find a Daewoo dealership to buy these parts? The two short lived ones around here are long gone.
  • Options
    I believe (just from memory here) that as long as the foreign company is still in business, it must maintain a parts depot from which parts can be ordered, perhaps through independent shops. I think, for instance, you can still get plenty of Peugeot parts through some kind of distributor on the East Coast. It may not say "Peugeot of France" or whatever, but there is a source.

Of course, no telling how long you'll wait or how much you'll pay. For instance, you can still find Maserati parts, but they are getting very scarce and they are very expensive.

Some makes, like Alfa, are still so popular in the US that independent sources (aftermarket) have completely taken over the parts supply business. Same with MG. You can buy just about any part you need for an MG or Alfa, in two days shipped to your door. And with there being so much competition, prices stay very reasonable.

I don't think, should Daewoo leave the US completely and forever, that there will be a big aftermarket business opening up for this car, however. Also, I don't think there will be competitors selling these parts, so they will be fairly expensive.
  • Options
    Especially since they sold so few of them while they were around.

And, unlike an Alfa, these sure won't attract very many "car people".
  • Options
    If Daewoo pulls out, the cars are doomed, like Daihatsus, Ford Fiestas, old Peugeots and all the other poor orphans of the world.
  • Options
    WHY, oh why would a Korean "me too" car company try to elbow it's way into an already overcrowded marketplace?

Especially when the Korean offerings before them were less than stellar.
  • Options
    I don't know why ANYBODY still wants in to the US market. We are a very, very mature market, and to gain any ground you have to kill somebody else. And who you gonna knock off? The Japanese (I don't THINK so...). And the US government is not going to let you beat up the Big Three, so where are you? It's not like there's a lot of room to grow new buyers. Korea should be trying to conquer Asian markets seems to me, or China.
  • Options
    gslevegsleve Member Posts: 183
    the fiesta's where made by the Kia company which is now owned by Hyundai which is still using the Kia name for markenting purposes
  • Options
    hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    if anyone thinks they would be able to get parts from a defunct auto mfg. just because the "law" sez they have to do it-------get real. My son waited SIX WEEKS for some parts for his Ford ZX2 and then the body parts were damaged and the mechanical stuff did not fit. Thanks Mr.Ford !!

hudrahead :)
  • Options
    No, FESTIVA is Kia, FIESTA is German Ford.
  • Options
    gslevegsleve Member Posts: 183
  • Options
    You can catch me on one next time!
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    There were Ford emblems on the the 91 Festiva which I replaced front wheel bearings on last month, and the parts came from a Ford dealer.
  • Options
    It's confusing, but the car is both a Kia and a Mazda. Here's the history:

"Actual production of the Festiva destined for the North American market was begun in 1987 by Kia Motors of Seoul, South Korea (the Festiva was final assembled in Sohari, South Korea). Kia was already manufacturing the Kia Pride (began in mid-86) for the South Korean market. Mid-86 also marked the beginning of Ford's collaboration with Kia. At the same time, Mazda began their own production of the Mazda 121 and Ford Festiva for the Japanese (apparently no Mazda 121's were sold in Japan), Australian, New Zealand and European markets."

I'm still not clear if we got the Korean or the Japanese ones.

The FIESTA was one of my favorite little cars, running I believe the German Ford 1600 pushrod engine (did I remember this rightly?) with crossflow head. If tuned right, that little car could go pretty good, especially 0-30.
  • Options
    I didn't realize the Fiesta had any fans besides myself. Indeed, they did have the 1600 engines.

They were rough, rugged little cars that ran well and they lasted a long time.

Kinda reminded me of the PV 544 for some reason.

And, yes, they were pretty spunky too!
This discussion has been closed.