Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

XM & Sirius Satellite Radio

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Of course, with a merger, the monthly cost will go down. Riiiiiiight.

You shouldn't make people drinking hot beverages laugh so hard :P
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    xm charged 9.95 way back when because they charged an extra 2.95 or something to listen online, when sirius had it included in its price. the reason xm upped its price is because it began to include online service at no EXTRA charge (since it was now included in the 12.95 monthly price)

thought you should know :)
    ... they still have the get around the law that currently prohibits this proposed merger. From the AdWeek article I read...

"Laws prohibiting the two to combine have been in place since each were granted licenses about a decade ago, in effect creating a mandated duopoly because regulators had no intention of allowing other satellite radio operators to spring up in the U.S. Nevertheless, laws can be tweaked to grant permission for the two money-losing companies to merge, and that has competitors nervous."
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    if the business model for SatRadio is flawed. It seems to me there aren't enough Stern-like radio Superstars to attract enough people to pay subscriber fees. IMHO they'd be better off if they allowed a strictly limited number of commercials
    so that advertisers supported the service and listeners got it free or at nominal cost.

The new CEO is Sirius' Mel Karmazin, a guy who has made more money selling advertising (@ CBS/Viacom) than just about anyone so it wouldn't surprise me if they were headed in that direction.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hey, Sirius is up 7%, and I own 73 shares...I'm RICH!!! LOL!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The day I hear a commercial is the day I cancel my Sirius subscription. The wide selection of music and talk is nice, but the premium is worth it to me to get commercial-free listening. If XM brings their commercials with them, I'm through.

In the meantime, I hope the merger gives them the resources to boost signal in urban areas (around roadside trees and tall buildings). I hate all the blackouts, especially when I go to the City.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I don't have either satellite system, but I'm with you. I'm a well known channel flipper to avoid advertising in the car. And if I can't escape after one or two flips, I turn it off and enjoy driving :P
    I already hear too many commercials on Sirius...if I hear "Go to My PC" once more I'm gonna erase those channels from my list forever.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Many of you are probably to young to remember, but when the idea of cable television was new, the companies hoping to win local franchises were pushing a great selling point. They claimed that since they were going to be charging a monthly fee to bring service to you, there would be NO COMMERCIALS. What a great idea for everyone with an old fashioned antenna on the roof or some rabbit ears wired to the back of their black and white TVs. Everyone was tired of watching so many commercials and greeted the idea of cable television with open arms.

Well, we all know what happened to the no commercials pitch.
    Actually, I recall a movie theather marquee around 1959 or '60 that read "FIGHT PAY TV".

Man I'm getting OLD :P
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    hmmm... so i received an email from sirius telling me about the coming merger with xm. i guess the law isn't a problem after all??? (i don't think it should be since its not like you HAVE to have satellite radio)

i'm not sure what this will bring for us subscribers. increased rates? different programming? what?

my car is currently equipped with XM, but I did not renew after the free trial because I found that I much prefer my Sirius. So now I'm running a separate sirius radio in the car. It would be nice to use the built-in XM radio, however, since the reception is far better and I can control it with the steering wheel buttons. BUT, if the programming is going to lean towards XM's format, I'm not interested in paying for it.

According to the email, the merger won't affect listeners until the end of '07.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Happened to find myself in a conversation this morning with two folks, one currently using XM, the other Sirius. And they both agreed on something. The only way they expect the cost to not increase is if commercials start to appear.

Kind of defeats the big selling point doesn't it?

Now for a radical thought :blush:

Perhaps we're just in the beginning stages of a huge change in the way radio works in general. Maybe we'll be able to get our local stations ANYWHERE via satellite, commercials and all. I realize I'm talking changing the entire way the radio industry works right now, but it's a wacky biz as is. :P
    XM already has commercials.

some stations on sirius do, too (blue collar comedy comes to mind).

I found WAY more on XM, though, even on the music stations.

Here is the deal for me ... my subscription is up on both radios towards the end of the year. At that time, if things aren't settled, I'll be paying month by month until they are. If commercials start to appear on the music stations I typically listen to on sirius, I will not be renewing my contract.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I found the XM commercials annoying too. They seem to be on the most popular stations. I understand that the talk/news stations probably need some type of break (when would those poor talkers go to the bathroom???) but not the music stations. I did find some music channels that have no commercials so I stick with them.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    XM already has commercials.

My understanding is the XM has true commercials on only 5 stations -- those that are broadcast by Clear Channel. When that happened, XM added 5 similar channels sans commercials.

Both systems run plenty of promos for their other channels. Since those don't pay anything, they aren't considered commercials.
    yeah, it isn't the promos I'm referring to. Those don't bother me because it is sometimes informative and usually VERY short and VERY far apart.

maybe those similar channels you are referring to came after my free trial period (or I just didn't find them).

• tpetpe Member Posts: 2,342
    Something to keep in mind is one of the biggest opponents to this proposed merger is the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters). This is a very influential group that represents over the air radio stations. Ask yourself this, if the merger between XM and Sirius is going to be bad for satellite radio subscribers why would this group be opposed?

There is a lot of redundancy in expenses between the 2 companies that will be eliminated. Afterall, you end up with twice the subscribers and in terms of cost it doesn't matter whether a satellite is broadcasting to 12 million subscribers or 6 million. In addition, there is no longer a need to spend advertising dollars to convince potential subscribers of your company's superiority. You now just have to convince customers of the benefits of satellite in general. This merger is not anti-competition because the competition is between satellite and over the air. This will make satellite stronger, which will be pro-competition.

While I hope this merger goes through I'm a little doubtful. A similar situation came up several years ago when Dish Network and DirecTV wanted to merge. The FCC ruled against this saying it was anti-competitive and would be bad for the consumer. That was very unfortunate because the competition in television is between cable and satellite and this merger would have put satellite TV in a very good position to really undercut cables prices. I doubt many of us are all that fond of the cable industry. BTW, Michael Powell was head of the FCC at the time and was probably as corrupt as they come. So despite the reasons he gave for looking after the consumer he was really looking out for the cable industry.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    You make some good points Tpe, there's an excellent chance that the FCC will either rule against this merger or open Sat radio up to other competition (currently forbidden).

As for commercialization, I believe it's inevitable as the number of subscribers and Sat Radio profits are both declining. Meanwhile M Karmazin is talking up the advantages to advertisers of an XM-Sirius combo.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I'm not sure what a "true commercial" is but let me assure you, some XM stations have plenty of short commercials selling products. The comedy, sports, news, and several music stations all have them.
  • tpetpe Member Posts: 2,342
    I've had XM for over 2 years now and none of the music stations that I listen to have commercials. That's not to say this will always be the case. At $12.95/month both of these companies are losing money and have done so since their inceptions. This obviously can't go on indefinitely. A merger may allow them to become profitable. Maybe they will have to introduce commercials. I hope not but as the consumer I am the one in charge as far as whether I continue to subscribe. My personal feeling is that people will accept some level of commercials on the talk, comedy, sports, news channels. If you primarily listen to music the introduction of commercials won't go over too well. I think that I'd probably cancel and go back to my MP3 player. Listening to over the air broadcasting will never again be an option for me. In addition to the commercials the sound quality is so lame and the amount of inane babbling so annoying I'd rather have silence.
  • rworrellrworrell Member Posts: 149
    1) I have XM and yes, the Clear Channel stations have commercials--XM fought them on this, but CC had the right to add them. As noted above, XM added 5 new channels with similar formats to their lineup, all without commercials. Additionally, all of the CC channels got flagged with a CM in their name so you'd know they run commercials. As soon as they started with the commercials, I removed them from my presets. I never hear any commercials listening to XM music.

2) My wife has Sirius (pre-installed on her CPO BMW). They talk a lot on that service. Does anyone actually think it's still cool to hear the original MTV VJs hosting shows? Do we really need to hear DJs talking after pretty much every other song? Or see their names & phone numbers on the display? Sirius drives me crazy and my wife really regrets activating it on her car. However, it's still way better than FM radio--I just marvel at the lack of variety and the number of commercials when I have to listen to FM.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    So everyone agrees that commercials are inevitable in sat radio's future? :-(

For me my $12.95 breaks out to the following benefits:

$1.95/mo for the wide variety of programming, of which I actually partake relatively little - I like maybe 9 or 10 music channels that I switch between, and 3 news channels, and that's really it.

$11/mo for the privilege of not having to sit through endless commercials.

The day they bring commercials to the sat radio airwaves, is LITERALLY the day I will call and immediately cancel my subscription. I will just go back to listening to local broadcast radio (mostly NPR and CBS News, in that case), no big deal.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

whereas maybe I was listening to the wrong stations on XM, you guys are listening to the wrong ones on Sirius. I have 16 music stations I listen to on a regular basis and the average interruption from the DJs is about once every 10 songs and for maybe 30 seconds at a time, tops. It isn't even enough to make me want to change the station when it happens because by the time I reach for the button, they are back to music. While running both XM and Sirius in my Honda at the same time (during the free XM 90-day trial), it was just no contest. I had way more stations and way less interruptions on sirius. It is beginning to sound like that maybe changes on a regular basis. As I mentioned before, the one channel that has lots of advertising that I do have to switch from when they go to commercial is the Blue Collar Comedy channel.

I mentioned this merger this morning to my wife while driving into work and listening to sirius. She said, "oh god, are they going to XM's format? We are cancelling if they do!"

Obviously, there are folks in each camp. If there weren't, there would be no competition.

That satellite TV merger is an interesting comparison. I still don't understand how anyone can say it is OK for me to have only one choice of cable TV provider, one choice of water provider, one choice of sewer provider, etc, but the major competitors to the mainstay services, like satellite TV, have to eat each other alive.

• pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    2) My wife has Sirius (pre-installed on her CPO BMW). They talk a lot on that service. Does anyone actually think it's still cool to hear the original MTV VJs hosting shows? Do we really need to hear DJs talking after pretty much every other song?

Actually, for 95% of the airtime of the Sirius decades channels, there is no (or very little) talking. Martha Quinn and Nina Blackwood both do "shows" where they play 80s music and talk about the 80s; this is probably what you heard. Martha's show airs for a good chunk of the day on Saturday, not sure when Nina's airs.
    The comedy channels on Sirius are loaded with commercials, and so are most of the talk channels....very little on the music channels though.
    The comedy channels on Sirius are loaded with commercials, and so are most of the talk channels....very little on the music channels though.

That sounds like XM too. It seems to me that the music channels that have the commercials are the ones that play today's hits.... my daughter switches channels frequently when she is in the car. :)
    I'm not sure what a "true commercial" is but let me assure you, some XM stations have plenty of short commercials selling products. The comedy, sports, news, and several music stations all have them.

What I consider a true commercial is one hawking a product that has nothing to do with the broadcast or broadcaster. If there were ads for dish soap on satellite radio, I consider that a true commercial. A promo for another channel or an upcoming show is not a commercial IMHO.

But I don't have satellite radio so I can't comment directly on what they air.
    There is a lot of redundancy in expenses between the 2 companies that will be eliminated. Afterall, you end up with twice the subscribers and in terms of cost it doesn't matter whether a satellite is broadcasting to 12 million subscribers or 6 million.

Won't half those satellites eventually become redundant? I presume if they merge, they will settle on one set of satellites to broadcast from since they work differently. Seems kind of dumb to dump a couple of hundred million dollars worth of technology.
    interesting question. I would think they would use them all for the time being. More coverage and less hassle. Once you get to the point that they need some kind of service, repair, or replacement, then it is time to think about consolidating. Consolidating immediately may require many customers get new equipment (for instance, if using sirius satellites, then xm receivers might be useless).

If they use all current equipment for transmitting but settle on one signal they will eventually move to in the future, then they can only sell those compatible receivers on the market and, by the time that transmitting equipment becomes obsolete, maybe many customers would already have the new compatible equipment. In other words, instead of forcing customers to change their equipment now, let them change on their own time and you have less customers to anger 5 years down the road when you really do need to force a switch.

• rworrellrworrell Member Posts: 149
    That's interesting, perna--about the only time I'm in her car is on weekends when we're running errands (it's bigger and has fold-down seats). So, all I hear is MTV VJ's and Long Paul or something, etc., etc. I have no firsthand knowledge of what it's like during the week--she says that they talk a lot and I assumed that what I was hearing on weekends was exemplary of what she was talking about. Thanks for the explanation.

FWIW, I've noticed that XM has started having their DJs talk more, which I'm not a fan of. There's one guy on the country channel who I think is great--he's really an advocate for up and coming artists and (of course) for XM and you can hear his enthusiasm and it seems genuine--him, I don't mind. The rest of the talking just makes me cringe, though--all I ever really wanted from a DJ on terrestrial radio was to tell me the name of the artist and song once in awhile--totally not needed with all that info right on the display! :shades:
  • brynwillbrynwill Member Posts: 3
    Any pro out thre who can advise me of a problem I'm having with XM radio..I've had it in my car for well over a year..no problem and I love it..then 4 days ago, I started getting an "antenna" display on my radio..and signal would go in and out..as of 3 days ago..the "antenna" display shows and i get no signal to my satelite radio..I can still see all the channels so radio doesn't need to be "refreshed" although I've done that too..I've now replaced the antenna and that hasn't alleviated the problem..the radio itself is an Audiovox..anyone know if these things just go out??
    Any advice or inf would be much appreciated..
    Have you checked for an intermittant short somewhere between the roof antenna and the antenna plug where it attaches to the radio? The wire could be internally frayed if it is pinched somewhere in its route between the two devices.
    Hi Blane,
    My system was a self install..so the antenna for the satelite just plugs into the satelite radio's base..and then follows the wire to end up with a small magnet which attaches somewhere in the car..doesn't actually attach to the car's specific antenna (I have a convertible so no roof to worry about)..I thought that somehow the wire had become crimped or compromised somewhere..so went out and spent another $40.00 on a brand new antenna..and no change..I just don't know if these radio units have hardward problems..amybe I have to get a whole new radio..but just weird because I can see all the stations..and all info that I usually see..just no sound..and that darn "antenna" readout on the display..very frustrating!
    I was also concerned about "crimping".

Since you drive a convertible, try relocating your magnetic antenna to the center of your trunk lid for a temporatry test. As I recall, the antenna needs at least a square foot of sheet metal to function properly.
    Thanks Blane..will try..it's just that this worked perfectly for well over a year..and then just stopped..I have attached the end of the antenna to the door..the hood..the top of the windshield..and I think that the radio would at least go in and out if it was searching..but the display doesn't chenge..very annoying as I really miss my XM!
    As I recall, the antenna needs at least a square foot of sheet metal to function properly.

really? huh. I wonder if that is just an XM thing. In my volvo and now my Honda, I just set the Sirius antenna on the back carpeted deck under the window. Works great and saved me from having to run the wire outside the car.

qbrozen,

The "deck", as you phrase it, is the large expanse of sheet metal under "the back carpeted deck under the window" of your Volvo.
    yes, but I assume the need for metal all around the antenna means it needs to conduct through the metal, no? I mean, what would be the point otherwise? The carpeting keeps it insulated from the metal.

qbrozen,

Pages 11 and 12 of the Delphi SKYFi2 Installation Guide states the following. I would be surprised if your Audiovox manual doesn't say something quite similar.:

XM Antenna Setup
    For best reception, follow these recommendations:
    • Mount the XM Antenna on the metal surface of the vehicle roof in the center of an area with at least 12" x 12" of
    surface area and a minimum of 6" from a window or sunroof... Due to the small size of this antenna, there are many possible locations for installation depending
    on the vehicle. Improper positioning of the antenna could cause brief interruptions in the signal reception.

Important: Do not install antenna inside the vehicle passenger compartment. An antenna mounted on the dashboard or on the rear window deck area of the vehicle will likely experience signal interruption issues and must be avoided. Mounting the antenna on a nonmetallic surface will also result in severe degradation in reception.

A suitable compromise between installation location and reception quality must be assumed by the user.
    • If the vehicle has roof racks or skid ribs, you may mount the antenna off-center.
    • If the vehicle is a hard- or soft-top convertible, then the antenna can be mounted on the metal trunk lid at least 4" from the rear window.
    Ensure that the antenna does not interfere with the opening or closing of the convertible top and that the cable is free to move and not prone to wear. Where exposed to wind, it is best to route the cable parallel to the airflow.
    There ya go. So it is suggested to get metal-to-metal contact. As I said, mine works great without the benefit of extra metal. Also avoids the unsightly wire and black box on my roof, and saved me alot of installation time.

I experience no more interruption of signal than I did when I had it mounted on the roof of my Lincoln (unfortunately I didn't think to just throw it on the back deck, as that was the first car I put it in; i wish i had because it would have saved me lots of time).

Did you miss this?

Important: Do not install antenna inside the vehicle passenger compartment. An antenna mounted on the dashboard or on the rear window deck area of the vehicle will likely experience signal interruption issues and must be avoided. Mounting the antenna on a nonmetallic surface will also result in severe degradation in reception.

Perhaps Sirius and Volvos have some sort of magical interaction. My only experience has been with XM, and when installed by the book, the reception has been flawless.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    It is fairly easy to get an antenna outside on a Lincoln LS. Run the wire into the trunk. Lift up the weatherstripping around the trunk opening and slide the wire underneath. Run it under the weather stripping and up to the center fo the roof.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I have a portable (Roady?) in our Odyssey since Christmas. I also have it built in on my Accord EX-L.

ANyway, in the van, when I first got it I ran the wire out the door (just closed it into the weather seal) and stuck it to the pillar. Worked great, even pulled the signal in the garage (and it was nose in).

Not wanting to leave it like that all winter, I decided to put it inside to see how it worked. I have a radar detector window mount, which I leave up even though the unit isn't there (I only put it up on trips, around town it sits between the seats). So, I just stuck the antenae on the bracket (down by the dash) and it has been sitting there for 2 months.

Now, this is metal, but only about 1/2 the size of the antenna. Signal seems to be just as strong (full bars), clean sound, no more cut outs. Frankly, I can't tell the difference between that and my accord, or when it was outside.

I may eventually (when it gets warm) run it back outside (fished under the weather stip, instead of hanging in the door) but it hardly seems worth it. I may just get another window bracket and leave it there, just over toward the side more!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

that's exactly what I did. :)

Still not as easy as tossing it on the back deck, though.

uhhh... no, I certainly didn't miss it. Thanks.

Maybe you missed where I said it works great for me.

here is a question for you, though. well, maybe it is rhetorical. But, how is it that the home kit doesn't require the antenna be mounted on metal?

qbrozen,

You wrote, "But, how is it that the home kit doesn't require the antenna be mounted on metal?"

Excellent question. I surely don't have an informed answer. However, since a vehicle is always changing directions, the exterior sheet metal location makes sense to me. When using the home kit, you just aim the antenna once and can forget about the need to track geostationary "Rock" and "Roll" since your home is always oriented the same.
    ah. i think that is a good point.

• gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    is what makes Edmunds so useful . I have been having awful reception with my XM Roadie with the antennae mounted on the dash next to my FM antannae.

Yesterday I put it outside on the quarter panel and the reception improved immensely my commute today. Place where I would loose the signal for 15 to 20 seconds were not dropped the last two days.
    that's good, guss.

I also tried it yesterday. I put the antenna out on the roof to see if there was any change. I do think it may have improved very slightly, but so far it is not enough to make me want to keep it there. I guess sirius antennas must be slightly different from XM (for now).

I did have someone contact me who says he may have a kit where I can tap into my accord's stock xm antenna and controls to work my sirius. but i don't think i'm going to go through that kind of trouble on a leased car.

• gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    I am not committed to the XM experience either. My wife gave me 6 mos. for a Christmas present , and after 2 months I still go back to regular Fm radio stations for local content often.

The wires running everywhere and the receiver mounted to my air vents makes me feel like I am in high school again with my under dash mount cassette player.