Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

XM & Sirius Satellite Radio

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The wires running everywhere and the receiver mounted to my air vents makes me feel like I am in high school again with my under dash mount cassette player.

You were rich then - I had to use either an FM converter or a boom box on the back seat!!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    LOL.

I guess I was rich, too. I mounted my tapedeck on the glovebox door so that I would flip the door down when driving to access the deck, then close the glovebox when parked ... it was my own version of the removeable faceplate before there was such a thing as a removeable faceplate. ;)

Later on (after my speakers were stolen because I failed to hide those), my mom built a backseat for me (this was a Jeep I owned) that had a storage compartment underneath. I mounted the tapedeck in the center of that compartment, facing the front of the car, and mounted an amplifier inside the box and 2 6x9 speakers. All I had to do was run a power and ground wire into the box. It was all self-contained and well hidden from prying eyes. I could just reach back while driving and change the station or volume.

geesh. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• camarracamarra Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a convertible Solara and am having some difficulty figuring out what exactly I need to install in order to have XM. I have read posts but am still confused. I currently have a portable Roady2 with the cassette adaptor that I transferred to the car and have jury rigged up so I have wires dangling everywhere, although it works great. (I even temporarily mounted the antenna to the top front post and have had no problem with reception). After spending so much on the car, I really don't want the look of wires hanging everywhere, but I also can think of other bills I could be paying!

My car does not have the NAV system, and the dealer said it is Satellite READY. When you push the SAT button on the radio, nothing happens.

As I understand it, i need a fit kit and then something with the receiver too? The dealer quoted me close to $500 to install what I need, but I would like to shop around and find this setup cheaper elsewhere. What exactly IS the fit kit?

Thanks for all assistance!!
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Camarra, I had an '06 Avalon with the same setup. Here is what you need: your in-dash radio is SAT ready, but you need the trunk-mounted receiver kit, and the antenna. Either a dealer or, more preferrably, a local radio shop will install the Toyota XM receiver in the trunk, mount the antenna on the deck lid, and run the included wire harness up to the dashboard area and plug into the rear of your factory radio. It is the exact same install as if you ordered from the factory. Now for more good news: you can order this kit from several sources online, at a considerable savings from your "dealer" quote. If you need sources, write back and I will check my Favorites at home and advise. Finally, if you are a good DIY mechnic type, I can send the PDF file that outlines the whole procedure. It's the same guide the dealer techs use to install. Good luck! Mike
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    For your Solera, another option is to keep your roady but lose some wires. THere are a number of companies that make connection kits so you can plug it into the aux port on th eradio headunit. USA spec is one of them. They actually have a gizmo that is an ipod jack, plus it has a set of RCA ports.

Nice thing about this set up is that only a little box (about the size of a cigarette pack) is exposed, and it can sit in a cubby hole in the dask. You then just plug in the unit although you will have to plug into the cig. lighter unless you have them run another power connection.

OK, maybe that doesn't eliminate too many wires, but you do lose the tapedeck player piece, plus it will be way cheaper! Just not as elegant an install.

And finally, on many cars, the radio display will show much less than the roady screen. I have this problem in my Accord.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    My XM last week. One reason I got it was to hear uncensored morning talk and the suspension of O&A was rediculous.

Plus my reception has not been 100%, nothing more annoying than dropouts in the middle of your favorite song.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Regardless of which satellite service you choose, what equipment you buy, or how much premium service you order, you're going to have to learn to live with dropouts. Tall buildings, overpasses, low hills, tall stands of trees, etc.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The XM software glitch last Monday affected on-the-ground devices that provide satellite radio service within cities where the transmissions from space often are blocked by buildings, tunnels and bridges.

So if you haven't cancelled but had spotty service this week, you can contact XM for a 2 day credit (XM offers refunds after glitch - Azcentral.com).
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Thanks for the update. I noticed I was having dropouts in areas that normally work fine, but had no idea that it was a systemwide thing.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Steve,

It wasn't XM's "on-the-ground devices". They had a software glitch that affected one of their satellites. Since there are no terrestrial repeaters in my area, and I experienced dropout problems Monday through mid-day Tuesday while passing larger trees, the USA Today/azcentral.com article is incorrect. That was confirmed when I spoke with some XM guy in India (where else?) early Monday evening. I also received two email alerts from XM (one each early Monday night and about 1:00 AM Tuesday morning) describing the temporary outage. I couldn't locate them on the XM website a few minutes ago, so I couldn't copy & paste.
    Thanks Blane - that was the first I had read about any terrestrial devices for XM. I thought only Sirius had those, but I'm not too up on either sat service.

In addition to the outage (which caused the stock price to drop), people are irritated that XM waited 10 hours to inform members.
    Steve,

It's from 2001, and a very large file, but here's XM's FCC application for terrestrial repeaters

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/servlet/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=456929- -

As you will see, they intended to place them in all significant cities and towns. They accomplished all or most of it.
    They missed Boise. :P

Thanks for the link. I'm still listening to net radio, at least until the proposed new royalty fee structure shuts all of them down.
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I have both and usually listen to XM. Both are wired through the power adaptor and with the supplied magnetic antenna stuck right next to each other. Since the suspension of O&A, I have tried to listen to Sirius. It drops out all of the time. If I go under a tree, Sirius will drop out. XM is much stronger in this regard.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• buckeyedisldogbuckeyedisldog Member Posts: 22
    Ok I admit my addiction to Sirius Radio :) . The service came in my 06 Jeep Liberty. I tried to dump it by replacing the factory radio with a JVC KD-HDR1 HD Radio/CD Receiver. All went well for a few weeks and the new HD radio was amusing. Then my hunger for Sirius re-emerged. I come to find out my new head unit is all ready for both satellite services I must merely purchase a new JVC tuner box which I am prepared to do. What I am not willing to do is replace the factory antenna that is already attached to my vehicles roof through means of a drilled hole, I guess, as there are no visible wires running from it. If anyone could help here is my problem. I intend to purchase a Sirius SIR-JVC1 tuner to connect to my head unit no problem there. I want to use my already installed factory antenna rather than change the antenna out. I called a major retailer about my dilemma and he said I could only use the antenna that comes with the Sirius SIR-JVC1 tuner kit :cry: and there is no connector available to make the factory connector work or fit the antenna connector of the SIR-JVC1. Anyone found a work around to recycle the factory antenna. Thanks for any suggestions.
  • handsoffmyfxhandsoffmyfx Member Posts: 4
    Just got XM installed in my new Infiniti FX but I'm a little confused about the knobs. In my Honda, I could change channels, one by one, with the round tuner knob. The Seek/scan>> buttons advanced to each genre (rock, jazz, etc.) In the Infiniti it's the exact opposite. It seems to me it's logical to have the knob to advance channels one by one. Now I have to push the Scan button each time to advance each number. Is it possible some wires were crossed at install?
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    That's funny because I find it difficult to tune individual channels in my Accord by using the knob. I really wish one of the steering wheel controls changed the stations one at a time instead of just the presets. I like the presets there too, of course, it is just so hard to turn that dial up one click at a time while driving.
    Ah tallman1, that's the beauty of the Accords with Navigation systems. I control my XM radio with voice commands. I can just press & release a button on the steering wheel and say "XM channel twenty-eight" and I'm automatically listening to Broadway music. Same thing for AM, FM, etc.
  • mrbill4mrbill4 Member Posts: 3
    They will after Jan-1. I recently installed a Sirius Stiletto (SP?) in the Camry--plugs strait in to the AUX jack with a mini cable.--Works great. After 2 years of Sirius, I can't stand to listen to XM, I really miss the great disc jockeys and Howard Stern :) By the way Sirius is BUYING XM, so say good bye to XM after JAN 1, 2008 (Don't let anyone tell you differently )
  • handsoffmyfxhandsoffmyfx Member Posts: 4
    I agree, a steering wheel control to advance one by one would be nice. I just liked that if I wanted to get from 7 to 50, a few swift knob turns got me there. Now I have to either use the dial THEN fine tune with the seek button or keeping hitting the seek button like a maniac. :P
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I understand about using voice commands as I have the navi too but sometimes I like to channel surf... just like TV. ;)
    mrbill4,

Your message #1308 responded to a January 29, 2007 message from a poster who has not logged in since March 7, 2007. He probably won't be reading your post.
  • rdelucchirdelucchi Member Posts: 6
    It's all about Fred, Ethel and Lucy...

:{D
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    XM subscription for my new Honda (received a letter from Honda that my 3 months on the new CRV will run out soon)...so instaed of mailing in the $162.82.....(12 month cost) I called and thanks to the "ZWINBACK" that I learned about in this forum, I told the girl that I would like to have the "$77.00 ZWINBACK promotion fee"!!! Sure enough, she said "O.K.". Paid via my credit card and am now good until 12/17/08.
    Thanks again,
    NORTSR
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    What are the details of this promo and how do you get it?
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I did not receive anything in the mail or see it on TV. I have been following the posts on this XM forum and that is how I found out about same.
    I really don't know how far back the info you are looking for is located....but maybe someone else on this forum can direct you to the info.
    All I can tell you is to call 1-800-732-6369 (if you are ready to renew you subscription) and tell them you want the "one year ZWINBACK $77.00 promotion". If the operator does not know about it, tell her to double check....as they definitely must still be honoring it, as previously stated, I got it yesterday!!!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I got the same deal when XM called me after my 3 month promotion ran out. I told her I did not use it enough to justify the price. She said how about $76.xx? I said ok and paid with a CC. I let it lapse again just before I sold the truck. They never called. I want to get XM in my new Sequoia. Toyota does not have a kit that integrates with their NAV system. I may look after market.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    A little while back I had a Sirius unit (I had a rental car with Sirius, and it reeled me in) installed in the ashtray of my car - I don't use it anyway, and I wanted something hidden. It worked out pretty well. I was able to get the head unit for free, so all I had to deal with was installation. The nav in my car has an aux jack, so it wasn't a difficult install. At the same time, I had an ipod connector put into the console, with a switch under the dash to go between radio and ipod. It's pretty cool.

- open

- closed
    Nice system...I use my own img src tags and it doesn't work, I use the provided tags and it doesn't work. Looks like someone is earning their pay.
    Toyota used the Aux jack for the rear entertainment system. I guess I could unplug it as I don't anticipate having any kids back there on trips. I was hoping the XM data would be on the NAV screen.
    Yeah unplugging it is no problem. I am surprised about the nav thing though, doesn't Toyota use XM as its satellite option? Mine wasn't compatible due to my car having the old comand 2.0...but it isn't a big hassle to hide it in the ashtray, which is right below the nav unit anyway.

The Audi I rented in Vegas had the sat radio on the nav screen (and then the car had the weird nav system provided by Hertz - not the stock setup). It was pretty slick.
    I think ToyLex has been behind the curve on Sat radio. I know some of the posters complained that it was a $500 option on the Camry. GM has offered XM for $200, at least 5 years. I probably should have made it a priority, but did not. The 2007 Sequoia is end of the line for this model. So they have not added much the last few years.
  • snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    Really? Good to know. I may try this out to see if it still works, because I have been seriously considering an XM radio. Thanks for the info!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    has anyone heard anything lately about the merger? I like the name SXirMius (pronounced SKUR-me-us) for the new company. ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I did not receive anything in the mail or see it on TV. I have been following the posts on this XM forum and that is how I found out about same.
    I really don't know how far back the info you are looking for is located....but maybe someone else on this forum can direct you to the info.
    All I can tell you is to call 1-800-732-6369 (if you are ready to renew you subscription) and tell them you want the "one year ZWINBACK $77.00 promotion". If the operator does not know about it, tell her to double check....as they definitely must still be honoring it, as previously stated, I got it yesterday!!!

My recent attempt at doing this was unsuccessful. They would not honor it unless you, the subscriber, got a specific email with the offer.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    My recent attempt at doing this was unsuccessful. They would not honor it unless you, the subscriber, got a specific email with the offer.

Took me 5 minutes to extend our trial period for a year using the ZWINBACK code. All I did was mention it to the person on the phone and we were set up for a year at $77.
    Took me 5 minutes to extend our trial period for a year using the ZWINBACK code. All I did was mention it to the person on the phone and we were set up for a year at $77.

Well, I mentioned it and insisted upon it and that is when I was told it was not valid unless someone had emailed me about it.

I guess you're lucky.
    I extended my just-ended three-year subscription by one year for $77 a couple of weeks ago. Just had to ask, and was immediately told that it would be done. Quick and easy. The only limitation is that you can only do it once. It won't work for me a year from now.
  • desiletsdesilets Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 Subaru Outback which came pre-wired. However, imagine my surprise when the dealer quoted $398.00 for the kit and another $200.00 for the labor!! This is outrageous!! Has anyone found a more economical way to have their XM installed?
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    I was checking out Sirius sattelite stuff and saw an ad for Sirius TV.
    It provides 3 channels for $6.95/month.
    Which seemed reasonable, since it was Nickolodean, Disney and something else that escapes me.

Has anyone got this yet? I'm curious how well this works.
  • emgremgr Member Posts: 109
    I noticed on a lot of sites that drivers are renewing their XM services not at the advertised price but at half price. $77 by telling the CSR that you are not happy with the price and want the other deal. If a code is asked of you, you give them ZWINBACK as the code. They may not even ask you for it. But reading the other sites, it works. If you want traffic info added, tell them at at $3.99 per month add on. They have been giving that too. I have not done it yet. Just wondered if any of you had tested the waters?
    ZWINBACK didn't work for me but allegedly did work for others.
    I renewed for $77 last month. The telephone representative said that it would only be done ONCE though.
  • nitewriternitewriter Member Posts: 3
    I noticed on a lot of sites that drivers are renewing their XM services not at the advertised price but at half price. $77 by telling the CSR that you are not happy with the price and want the other deal. If a code is asked of you, you give them ZWINBACK as the code. They may not even ask you for it. But reading the other sites, it works. If you want traffic info added, tell them at at $3.99 per month add on. They have been giving that too. I have not done it yet. Just wondered if any of you had tested the waters?

Just did all of this, plus an extra $12.95 off for keeping a credit card on file (found this on another site). She offered none of it, I had to ask for each piece-by-piece. She was very nice and agreed to all.

Still, I would rather have my Sirius back (now paying for 2 sirius and 1 XM) - merge already!!
    Has anyone heard anything lately on the XM/Sirius merger? I thought they were going to wrap it up, or at least be able to report something definitive, by December 2007?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    good question.

According to wiki, Jan 15th was the latest update where the "Feds expect to come to a decision in Q1 2008."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    Xm year commitment is up in March. If the merger is not complete by then I will probably drop it. I am dissapointed about the quality of the content and it just ain't worth $6.95/month to me.
    With Sirrus I would be willing to give them another year.
    month to month with Sirius and I'm satisfied with content. What I am not too happy about is reception, especially in bad weather. I am looking for that to improve with the merger - is that just wishful thinking?

I've never experienced any weather-related issues with XM, since December 2003.
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I have both: Sirius and XM portables (plug and play) in my car. The XM reception is WAY better than the Sirius. I live in the NY metro area and lose Sirius under trees. Both usually work OK in a wide open spot like on an interstate highway. I tend to use XM locally and only turn on Sirius on trips.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT