Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I 2nd what scname says.

The Element is an interesting ride, but it is interesting because what of the utility you get out of it. If you're cross shopping it with A4's and Saab 9-3's it sounds like the Honda's brand of utility isn't really what you're after in a car and I don't think the Element will wear well if a sporty, great-handling car is your primary objective.

- Mark
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    On the other hand you can't take a water hose to the interior of the A4.

Although, considering how cheap used A4's can be had for why not buy the Element and a slightly pre-owned A4. Best of both worlds.
  • rex4johnrex4john Member Posts: 17
    I test drove an E DX AWD yesterday. For the most part is was great. Decent ride over bumps that make the back of my '01 RX300 rattle. The only real difference was the buzziness of the engine, I figure that to be because of the 2.4 I4 as opposed to the 3.0 V6 and the soundproofing. I love the flat floor and the lower lift-in height...perfect dog mobile!
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Just because the floor is not carpeted doesn't make it safe to wash out the interior with a garden hose.
    There are also no water drains inside.
  • ssender1ssender1 Member Posts: 28
    Odometer turned 1500 miles today (had Element since 12/31/02). No rattles, no squeaks, no buzzes or vibrations. Absolutely no assembly problems or malfunctions of any kind (with the exception of a flat tire caused by a large sheet metal screw). I haven't been keeping track of MPG but would estimate low 20's in city, mid 20's highway. No problems thus far with the plastic panels (ours is an EX with the "upgraded" plastic panels) and I'll note that the front and rear bumpers have had their share of taps with other cars while parallel parking. Interior is holding up well (our 2 year old has tested the limits of the stainproof seat covers) and installed carpeted floor mats front & rear which is almost a necessity if you live where it snows.

Overall, I can't complain about anything. The car still attracts a lot of attention, although I have seen a few others on the road. Be prepared to answer lots of questions while at stoplights and the gas station if you buy one of these things (or do what I sometimes do which is to say that it is not my car, I am just borrowing it).
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I'm beginning to see some Elements on the road. I glimpsed one crossing through a traffic light. Was also behind one. For comparison, I've seen 1 Kia Sorento on the road so far, a whole buncha Hummer H2's, and the Accords are beginning to pop up in every corner.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Haven't seen one on the road yet, but I expect to soon.

H2 stand out like a sore thumb, so you tend to notice the few that are out there. It's a very low volume model, though.

I've seen a million new Accords already.

-juice
  • tomguinesstomguiness Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the response. Hopefully something will come out soon on the invoice prices. I'll probably use the CR-V prices to see what the dealer is willing to do. Too bad it's not out yet, it really saved a lot of $$ last time, I paid only a few hundred over dealer cost on a model(Dakota R/T) that was selling on it's own just fine.
    I think the pricing also helps you because the salesperson can gauge how serious a buyer you are and that you're not wasting there time. They hate to wear down the carpet going back and forth to manager's office ( I'll see what my manager says) and not a sale to show for it.
    Element is so new that MSRP will still be common. You might want to wait, or perhaps try a buying service which might have negotiated a good price. A friend used the one from Costco to get an Odyssey for a good price, well below MSRP.

-juice
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    4WD EX automatic $19,722

4WD DX auto $17,369

2WD EX manual $17,692, auto add $738

2WD DX manual $15,340, auto add $738
  • gatorgreggatorgreg Member Posts: 91
    Hey all, here's a link to a review that came out yesterday from Canadian Driver:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/03element.htm

Here's a sample of one of the pics :)
    The tailgate is cool, even though it's small it looks useful. When you fold it down it guarantees you'll at least have a little space left to work with, say to change a diaper or something. Though I don't think most buyers will be families.

-juice
  • thorsettthorsett Member Posts: 8
    I was in Albany, Oregon, before Christmas to visit my grandparents, and since the local dealer had an Element in stock we all went out for a test drive.

I ended up with a Subaru Forester, but my eighty year old grandparents just traded in their pickup for a new silver EX 4WD Element. So much for the target demographic!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Said the Element would appeal to the retired set. I think it'll have wideranging appeal. Especially if they make a "luxury edition" with a normal interior.
  • h2minih2mini Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone heard of either a turboed Element or maybe one with Honda's V6?
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Yeah, the Element is only just now being released in Canada (I think Jan.27th was the official release date). Reviews so far (including Canadian Driver) have been mostly positive. Will try to get up close & personal with an Element this weekend. The base version ($23,000 and change in $Can) does get A/C up here but apparently no keyless entry on even the up-market model.
  • shutupanddriveshutupanddrive Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading with great interest, and have finally registered.

I read the earlier posts regarding Element's payload, but was never clear if Honda is listing same figure for all models.

Label on the Auto FWD DX I drove said "Total Capacity" is 675 pounds.

Is this the same on all models ????

Per Element's spec sheet, All Wheel Drive increases the curb weight approximately 130 -140 pounds over FWD depending on the model and transmission. I would expect the FWD model should therefore be able to haul more than AWD. Or did Honda determine a conservative number for the heaviest model (AWD EX Auto) and use that for all models???

If you've seen the "total capacity" label on an AWD model, would appreciate it if you can confirm it is also 675.

It is listed on the same label with tire pressure, not the one with GVWR numbers.

GVWR = 4450 pounds per other label.
    Curb Weight = 3403 pounds per Element Specification sheet.
    So why isn't the payload closer to 1000 pounds ?

I read earlier some discussion about tire limits might explain this ???

BTW, curb weight is supposed to include fully topped off fluids - including a full tank of gas, all in all about 140 pounds of coolant, gas and oil by my rough calculations, for an Element. Again, since that is already in curb weight, it should be irrelevant.

THE TEST DRIVE:

I drove both the 5 speed and automatic front wheel drive DX model. Both were fun, and as so many reviewers have said, surprisingly "agile and peppy" for the box that it is. I had fun with both cars. Friday afternoon, too much traffic, I need to do it again when I can get up to highway speeds.

By the end of my second test drive (the 5 speed), my right shoulder was a bit tired. With the seat as far back as possible, and in a comfortable position for me, I had a bit of a stretch to the shifter. Someone else might be quite comfortable. The 5 speed was nonetheless fun ... this coming from someone who hasn't owned a manual transmission car in more than a two decades. Honda sticks have come a long way since my dad's 1984 Accord.

LIKES & DISLIKES:

I like the cargo doors and the tailgate. I am 6'3" and no fan of liftgates.

No spare tire on the back - a big plus!

I don't plan to carry many back seat passengers, so I don't mind the door configuration at all.

The CRV would be a better choice for hauling children around.

I'd be using the Element for commuting to work, hauling bicycles on the weekends. I like the way the rear seats fold up. I like the ability to put a bike inside if needed.

However, I don't plan to camp out in the "flat folding" seats, my back couldn't take that.

Headroom - loved it! My head rubs the roof in many mid sized SUVs, especially if they have a sun roof. No problem in the Element.

The legroom was reasonable up front, but my long legs could use another inch. Of course this is true for nearly every car/truck/suv I've driven. Unfortunately, as you raise the seat height , the seat base moves forward.

This seems to be the case on all Hondas with manual seat height adjusters. My 93 Accord seats are low, but I can stretch my legs out.

If the front passenger is long legged, check out the foot/toe space. As in many cars, there is some junk down there (heater duct maybe ?) in the way of your toes. This is a problem on many vehicles, and is not excessive on the Element.

I plan to test drive one again with several of my larger friends (or the largest Honda salesmen) for ballast. Two friends, me and a big ice chest eat up most of those 675 pounds.

I am in Florida. So far local dealer has had 5 Elements, all 2wd, and 4 of the 5 were DX models. The dealer replaced the plain DX wheels with aftermarket alloys on the two DX models sitting on the lot. I have no idea what $ they want for the new wheels, but they are a big improvement in the looks deparment over the stock DX wheels.

The first Element sold had the side steps added at the request of the owner. Either the buyer was very very short, or they liked the looks, because they seem quite unnecessary.

I look forward to reading your posts.
  • ropedartropedart Member Posts: 163
    For those who might miss it Autoweek has posted Honda's Eric Schumaker powerpoint of the Element's design process. Quite colorful and detailed and even better than Car Styling magazine would have done. There it is- the whole team to credit or blame.

It details the research and philosophy of the Element in detail. Including the campuses the focus groups were done. You are famous now dude!

Note not only males were targeted but aggressive females as well.

No mention of seniors, parents with 2 kids, handicapped, dog people, boomers in general.

No mention about how the colors were arrived at.
    No emphasis on front seats facing backwards so don't expect that in future.

An ugly but classic car with a real social agenda since the VW microbus. Catch this piece of history while you can. I wonder were the Aztek team powerpoint is???
    http://autoweek.com/specials/2003_design/

BTW be thankful lots thinks its ugly because demand will still outstrip supply. In Canada the goal is 5000 units which translates that every dealership gets only about 2 a month.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    the 675 lbs. is on all models, but that is IN ADDITION to 2 persons occupying the vehicle. average of 160-170 lbs. each. if you weigh more, then thats when you adjust the #. by comparison, a ford ranger or chevy s-10 has only a 500 lb. capacity(1/4 ton).
    Congrats thorsett. I'll invite you to join the Subaru Crew topics under owner's clubs, which is quite active. We're also the only group that still has a weekly chat, every Thursday at 9pm EST.

Grand parents like Elements? Good for them. Maybe they aren't always using the back seat, so the door/seat-belt issue doesn't affect them.

Also, it costs a little less than a CR-V and they're usually on a fixed income.

You sure about the payload thing? I'd heard it was just 675, period. Where did you read it was 2 passengers plus 675 pounds?

-juice
    bowke28,

Every source I've seen for "payload" indicates it includes total weight of ALL passengers, cargo and added accessories.

Do you have a source for the "two passenger" definition? An extra 340 pounds would be nice if this were true.

Chevrolet's own specs on an S-10 appear to contracdict your theory on payload.

Goto http://www.chevrolet.com/s10/index.html

Click on CAPACITIES link.

For Regular Cab 2WD S-10 their numbers are:

GVWR = 4200 pounds
    Curb Weight = 3052 pounds
    Payload = 1148 pounds

I wish all the manufacturers were as forthcoming with this information as Chevy appears to be.

There may be something about pickup trucks versus autos. Is the Element a car or a "light truck" ?
    Thanks Ropedart !!!

The powerpoint presentation of the Element development is fantastic. I love the last part where the prototypes morph into the production mode.

See Post 1755 WOW - The Inside Story
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Bowke - I'd be interested in the source, as well.

Shutupanddrive - What Bowke wrote (regarding the Element) is very similar to what we see with other vehicles. For example, the 3,500 lbs towing limit for the Pilot seems low when compared to others. However, that figure includes four passengers and their gear. Other manufacturers publish numbers that include only the driver. There is no standard for the industry. I'm sure it applies to payload as well as towing.
  • thorsettthorsett Member Posts: 8
    ...I've been reading the subaru boards, but have been too busy recently to join in. Will do, though.

My grandparents not only got the 4WD Element, but also the cabana and the rack for their canoe. I'm sure they plan to sleep in it. They are going to be hard to beat when the X Games add an octogenarian age group....
    Got word that the first Canadian Elements were hitting town. Dropped by a dealership and they had one sold orange Y(EX) in the back lot. As I approached it seemed red in the overcast sky but when you get within 5 feet you realize its orange. Now those picts make sense now. Its like magic and if only the blue would turn purple or violet in the same way.

Unlike some of you guys I have been waiting to see this car for 2 years. As I looked it over and sat in it, my mind went into a defrag mode or recompiling. All those online pictures became real and everything was rescaled in my head. Things were smaller or bigger or further away or closer and so on. Like a Gestalt moment: Oh yeah this is how it is, I get it, OK, I understand, thats what they mean and so on. In the end, its just a car with no extreme hardships.

I looked for quality problems but I did not see anything wrong. Could not yank at anything to see how well things were tied down. Everything looks like a typical Honda. I tried scratching the cladding but it did not scratch. Salesman was wondering what I was doing. I just said this material feels really interesting as I clawed away. They might have had one bad batch of plastic processed incorrectly. Resin not dried properly or the cycle time was too short. The pressure to deliver can get you into Firestone-like disasters. Somebody's process Cpk just went out the window. Do I hear someone being spanked?

Gaps in the panels accommodate plastic thermal expansion. Saturn has gaps too for its plastic panels.

You can put child seat in the center using LATCH tethers. You just straddle the two inside Latch anchors. You might have to modify the seat to prevent it from being tippy. There's room. My inspiration comes from the 10 seat CRV in the Phillipines.

You can get into the Element with the rear doors closed at least for small people and kids. The passenger seat will go forward enough to provide access to the back. Almost the same as getting into the rear seats of a coupe or hatchback.

The hood and dash is kinda high but its not the end of the world.

I like the black interior on this model. It has a sort of serious German look. Seat inserts could have been more sporty looking.

I was impressed. My Sunset Orange Y shows up next week.
    The Element I saw had build quality issues with the plastics - they weren't hardly like the gap issues with Saturns. More specifically, it was as if the assembly people didn't fully match part A with part B - rather, it just went halfway. If you notice on the Saturns, while the gaps on the plastics are prevalent, the build assembly where metal meets metal isn't any better. On the Element, the rest of the body assembly was good.
    The unit I sat in did not have excessive gaps. There were a few gaps, but not anything that concerned me. The gaps were consistent.

If a gap is wider at one end of the joint than the other, it suggests build issues. Or if a gap on one side is bigger than the gap on the same part on the other side of the vehicle. That is usually the result of misaligned parts. A wide gap that is consistent along the seam could be a design feature (like the expansion room required for Saturns), or the result of poorly manufactured parts.
  • chris777chris777 Member Posts: 126
    ropedart, did you ever actually see that 10 seater crv? I've heard of it and looked into it , but I thought it was a hoax

"You can put child seat in the center using LATCH tethers. You just straddle the two inside Latch anchors. You might have to modify the seat to prevent it from being tippy. There's room. My inspiration comes from the 10 seat CRV in the Phillipines."

and thorsett
    is their anything special about the tailgate cabana , or is it just a dome over the tailgate?

"My grandparents not only got the 4WD Element, but also the cabana and the rack for their canoe. I'm sure they plan to sleep in it. They are going to be hard to beat when the X Games add an octogenarian age group.... "
    I saw the picture of the CR-V. I think it's an 8-seater.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E22F32943
    Thanks diploid for posting picture.

Check my rant over at Honda CRV board. Boot up the Honda Phillipines site and see the spec sheet. It takes such a long time to load you swear Honda is trying to keep the Phillipine CRV a secret. 3 front bench, 4 middle, and 3 back.

ropedart "Honda CR-V" Jan 29, 2003 3:58am

If I could get two of the third row seats I could turn the Element into a little bus for eight people. For little people anyway.
    Won't it be like the Suzuku XL7, though? As in no leg room for the 3rd row?

Sure, move the 2nd row all the way forward, then noone is comfortable.

-juice
    It won't be like the Suzuki - the Suzuki sacrifices 3rd row leg room for a scant cargo area. If you look at the picture for the CR-V, while it doesn't show the 3rd row in "up" position, you can see that the seat is basically taking up all the space at the back. There is 0 cargo space with the 3rd row in position; it's been traded for leg room. I doubt it'll be comfy, but more usable than the Suzuki's 3rd row.
    Sure enough. Guess you can't fit any cargo, but it sure can pack in the passengers.

-juice
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    I wouldn't put anyone I like in that back seat, LOL. Save it for mother's in la, tax man, and local politicians lol.
    The 10 seat CR-V in the Phillipines is not a hoax, however it could never be sold here in the USA. It would never pass safety regs. It has a bench up front that seats 3. The middle section of that bench is tiny (picture yourself sitting on the flip table). The mid row is the same width as the CR-V we have, but they carved a fourth seat into the bench. Then there's the smallest rear bench ever produced for another 3 seats. That makes it a 10 seater.
    For super-sized americans that makes it a 4+2, 4 adults and 2 kids! :-)

-juice
  • mrb95mrb95 Member Posts: 6
    I am faced with a problem, I am in the market for a new car and am trying to decide between the Jeep Wrangler and the new Honda Element. I keep leaning towards either vehicle, and can't make up my mind. Here's the facts. Both vehicles are around the same price. I would probably get a Jeep Wrangler SE with some options which would bring the price around 20 grand. The Honda Element runs at about that as well. The real problem is practicality. I know the Element is so much more practical in terms of just about everything(cargo, p/l/w, gas mileage etc.) But what always seems to bring me back to the jeep is the soft top itself; the fact that it is the only good looking convertible suv, ( I hate the look of chevy trackers). So what should I go with practicality, or go with pure fun!
    Not being a big fan of Wranglers I would say go with the Element. The Wrangler is a little too Jeep and rugged for me. But if you gotta have a convertible SUV it's the only one worth considering.
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    Also consider that the Honda will likely be trouble-free and the Jeep will likey be trouble.

I owned a Jeep for a while and sold it after it was in the shop 9 times in one year. Bleh.

However, if you do any off-roading at all, there's no contest. Jeep all the way.
  • jnesjnes Member Posts: 6
    We own both a Jeep and an Element. We love jeeps but in reality we only go off road jeeping a few times a year an even then we could have taken the Element. My husband loves his jeep but we learned that the new Rubicon Jeep with a V6 only gets 13 miles to the gallon. That is pricey when we off road it only a few times a year. The Element has cargo space for things, dogs in our case, where the Jeep does not. The Jeep can haul a heaver load though. If you are young and go Jeeping at least a dozen times a year then go for the Jeep. If not the Element is a wonder ful car,
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Saw my first "E" today on a dealer's lot (they were closed), so was only able to do a walk around but it looked pretty cool. Has a good presence....definitely a mini-Hummer look to it and makes the CR-V look somewhat dainty now. Think the cladding looks ok, but better with the lighter exterior colours (green, shoreline, silver)....where the cladding is darker than the exterior colour. When it's lighter (on black and blue models), the cladding looks out of place. I guess a gun-metal grey version would be perfect, the paint closely matching the cladding colour.
    Seat height (from the outside at least) looked ok
    ...not a jump up or a step down but just about level with your butt. From the inside, the beltline looks high and the side windows are kind of short, so I can see why the seat may seem low.
    Doesn't look like much of a view from the back seat, as the extra-wide C pillar is right beside your head......anybody who has one comment on the view from the back seat? As any large item you want to load could be more easily loaded from the back, I would prefer if the side doors were conventional.....may save a few hundred pounds (& increase payload), and improve the view of the rear seat passengers.....I guess you'd lose the novelty factor though. Will check it out more thoroughly at the Toronto Auto Show in a week or two, but first impressions are generally positive.
  • chris777chris777 Member Posts: 126
    while waiting on the monster 10 seater crv page to open I thought I'd rant a bit lol

I noticed the studio e had a bench in the front, with a space cut out for the shifter,

the more I think about it the more I think steering column shifters, at least on automatics make so much more sense on the steering column like on the pilot, oddesey, and old crv. I know on the model ex concept they had the shifter positioned up higher on the dash, and I'll bet it would have been possible to squeeze 3 up front in it, though the steering column would have definitely, made it possible. I would buy an element if they made it with a full front bench with a steering column mounted shifter on auto (though I think I've seen on an oooooold truck before with like a 3 speed) and it would be nice to have the rear seat made to accommodate 3 but if the overall vehicle seated five it would be so much better. I still think its over priced, especially when compared to the crv, I need to break down and read that element design story sometime, but from everything i heard it seems to me Honda threw too much stock in the whole concept of the element into the suicide doors, from what I heard they were going to trash the entire thing if they could not make it work, seriously how many element owners, or perspective owners would have crossed out the element if everything were the same except it had conventional doors and a b pillar? (my biggest 2 problems with the suicide doors are weight and from what honda has said added cost to the vehicle as a whole)
    I think with prices being so high right now, along with demand (real or manufactured) I may buy used and wait on a few refinements in the design, or if something else comes out that interest me that's a possibility too (I wouldn't mind seeing sliding rear seats, so that you could have more rear cargo room considering the gap between the seats in enormous, even with the front seats all the way back, another suggestion make at least the drivers seat travel further back, I noticed the elements front seats appear to travel very far, but they slide nearly to the dash to make the bed, I would prefer either a longer track or scooting the tracks back at least a couple of more inches on 04, 05 ect models)
    of course their is a local contest where a local dealer had donated an element as first prize, which if by some stroke of luck I would take it if I won (lol) even if its my least favorite color (black) I really dislike the darker colors with the element I think the lighter ones really look much more lively, the black and blue ones seem drab for some reason.
    I just really don't want my first new car purchase to be a vehicle that I don't really like.
    its not like I'm buying something dirt cheap because I cant afford better I.E. say a kia rio, or Hyundai accent, because I cant afford to pay more (don't get me wrong i like the Toyota land cruiser a lot, but I can neither afford it, nor do i feel compelled to buy a car that gets under 20 mpg either) even at car shows I just haven't seen anything new that I like, and it makes me feel like I'm settling on what I can afford, while what I really want is out of grasp. if I can find a reasonable used car I think I would spend less money, plus not take as big a hit on depreciation until hopefully the market swings enough to bring out something I would like to pay 20somethingish or less for

the big page never did open, it timed out, but the one with the dinky (but useful) pics did
    Are you leaning toward the rag-top Jeep simply for the fun factor? Driving a convertible is a whole lotta fun. But so is the attention you'd get while driving an Element. Jeeps are so common, they hardly get noticed. That isn't true of the Element. Essentially, you'd be trading the wind in your hair for the looks on people's faces.
    Without the suicide doors, the Element would be a CR-V with funky styling. Not worth the effort.

A few notes on seating, pillars, and visibility...

Most likely, the rear seats are placed far back for safety reasons, not to make room for the bed (as someone suggested a while back). Without a fixed B-pillar, Honda is using the C-pillar to max advantage in helping protect the rear occupants.

That C-pillar is also the reason why side to side visibility is not so grand for the rear passengers.

You'll also note that some Honda press materials have mentioned that the rear seats have stadium seating. Presumably, this is for a better view. In reality, it is probably a biproduct of them having to raise the seats to get above the wheel wells.

Adding a bench-style seat to the front would be an interesting way to increase passenger capacity, but it's not as simple as changing the location of the shifter and moving the e-brake. Honda would probably have to put in an airbag for that seat and make sure it tested well (big R&D expense). It may also prevent the 5-speed option.
    Do you off road? I mean, really? If so, get the Jeep, no question. The Element doesn't have the clearance, plus get a flat and you're stuck with a donut.

The Element will be a lot easier to live with day in/day out, however.

But - it seems like you want a convertible. Why not look at other convertible choices, outside of trucks?

I have a Forester and bought a used Miata, best of both worlds. Something to consider. You can get a cheap used Miata for $4000-6000. I've had mine for 2.5 years and my total repair expenses add up to exactly $0.00. They are very reliable.

-juice
    I can't recall if it was on this forum or another, but I've read some commentary on the Element's sales. They posted about 3,700 units for January. That pretty much matches MDX sales for the month. However, CR-V sales dropped about 2K units, which suggests that there is some cannibalizing within the showrooms. We'll have to check sales over a few months before that is clear.
  • ssender1ssender1 Member Posts: 28
    I just received the drivers armrest w/storage for my Element (a genuine Honda accessory). Does anyone know where I can obtain installation instructions for this. It doesn't look too complicated, but the installation instructions for some other things I've installed (keyless remote, sunroof shade screen etc.) made the job much easier.
    Went on a test drive of the Y(EX) Element Auto 4wd at my dealership. Handles very well. The power is adequate but the automatic lacks the swoosh of a big V6. But then it doesn't suck gas like one either. The manual would be peppier but what slushbox is quicker than the manual version. I'm in a autobox frame of mind these days. How else can I drink coffee and talk on the cell phone at the same time JK LOL ;) Visibility is excellent. I can see the girl's belly button driving behind me. Got big mirrors.

This unit had scratches on the cladding. The frustrating thing is that they look much worse than they really are. I would call them superficial scuffs. They must be like one micron deep. Two microns of acrylic wax or silicone or something would probably stop it. Dealer didn't know what to say. Service guy thinks they can be buffed out. But it should not be up to the dealer or the customer to figure it out. Honda should come clean and come up with a simple way to prevent it and a simple way to correct it. There must be lots of meetings and lawyers running around at Honda right now. They only have about 3000 units out there. Address it now. Whats going on?

Perhaps a simple polymer coating or synthetic wax can be applied. I think the best protection would be 3M ScotchCal urethane film commonly sold as Clearbra, Xpel, Stoneguard etc. Its about $8US a square foot. Its said to be able to conform to the body shape. So safe to use U can use on the entire car body. Removeable. Precut kits would be nice.

Element deliveries are running behind. Time to think about this.
    They compared an Element to a Suzuki Aerio recently. I got it in the mail yesterday but I don't remember which magazine it was.

The Element won though.
    3700 a month is a pretty brisk pace for a new model. They advertised it during the Super Bowl, and Honda is just beginning to benefit from that. I bet most people haven't even seen one yet. Once they do, it could pick up some more.

That's about 4 times December sales, wow. Even if it does cannibalize CR-V sales, they're still adding about 24k sales per year at a very low cost, since they used an existing platform and engine.

Aerio? Those are tiny in comparison. Also, look closely at Suzukis and you'll find visible mold parts, screws, welds, unfinished carpet edges, etc. Not nearly at the quality level you'd expect from Honda.

-juice