Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    OK, a little effort yielded some data to support my argument.

Just looking at the 2001 show, when the Model X debuted, you'll find the following boxy and suicidal (*) concepts:

Isuzu GBX (same year, so NOT a copy)
    Toyota Pod
    Nissan Ideo
    Nissan Kino
    Mazda Secret Hideaway

Here's a link:

http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/show/2001/ENGLISH/PUBLIC/CONCEPT/i- ndex.html

In particular the GBX looks very similar and came out at the same time, so it cannot be called a copy. Plus, with truly full-time TOD and a V6, who knows.

-juice

* suicide-door equipped
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I'm talking about a combination of about 5 or 6 characteristics. Most of those vehicles share two. Except for its size, I agree that the GBX is about as close as the Ford.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Another round of the infamous bumper tests has been completed and the Element did better than the rest of the ones tested:

"Honda is the only manufacturer in this series of tests that earns at least some praise for bumpers"

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

Steve, Host
    Agreed, varmint. What's truly impressive is that Honda actually followed through and produced it. Did they hire Bob Lutz without telling anyone? ;-)

Sweet IIHS bumper basher results. In comparison, the new CR-V ranks near the bottom with $1652 average damage, vs. just $537 for the Element. Here is the table for small SUVs:

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/low_speed_smsuv.htm

Element is 2nd best after the Forester. I've been saying all along that moving the spare off the back was a good idea. If it were full size they'd have it perfect.

-juice
  • pemflukepemfluke Member Posts: 5
    the overhead pipes in garage leaked and it screwed up a little of the paint but it really screwed up the
    tinted side window(not the one you open) near the back window.it took off tint
    it has left a whitestreak (i cant tell if i can look thru it or opaque) 1 inch wide, 7inch long. i told bldg manager that landlady was going to pay.
    unless anyone has any other ideas..they dont make window tint spray do they? the film wont help as the white streak on outside.
    if not what do you think a replacement glass will cost so i can tell the landlady?
    thanks
    maxine
  • tomguinesstomguiness Member Posts: 20
    pemfluke, the tint is usually on the interior, so if you have something on the outside of the window it should come off with a little elbow grease, or a razor.
    i dont know that tint is on inside ..it was factory installed(does that make difference?)
    as i say the water that leaked was rust coloured
    and took off some paint(i tried elbow grease on panel)..i truly dont think the white streak down window is removable
    I wonder how they tint that glass? I thought it was tinted all the way through, I guess not.

I'd go to a dealer immediately. It's brand new and you should demand OE parts plus a Honda trained professional to replace them. I bet the garage has insurance, even.

-juice
  • ropedart1ropedart1 Member Posts: 17
    If only GM made the Aztek looked more like the Hummer H2 it would have been a hit. The Hummer H3 looks pretty macho as well. I would morph a Hummer with a Astro Van and use the Montana platform to make a macho van. It would be a hit.

GM still does not get it. I saw a TV ad for a Hummer H2 and it was wrong. It had a young woman driving it. Nothing against women but the machoness of the SUV is what drives sales for both men and women. The woman weakened the macho image of the H2. Don't worry like the Element women will buy the H2 for the tough image. The ad should have had Sean Connery or Harrison Ford driving it.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    If I had money for the gas. I could lease the vehicle itself, but who's gonna feed that monster.
  • goinstaggoinstag Member Posts: 20
    Drove a 2wd manual EX on Friday. I'm 37 and the dealer said I'd be easily the youngest buyer they've had so far (they've sold about 25, including to a 63 year old). He also said they haven't sold a manual yet.

I was impressed with the pick-up and the general ride characteristics (as much as I could tell from the short ride), but I'm aiming to buy in the fall since the dealer markups in the bay area are crazy right now. I'll be looking for the EX manual with 4WD.

What ever happened to the red that was in all the early reviews? Anyone know if there are plans to offer it?
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    It will not be here for 2003 models. Maybe down the road.
  • moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
    I had posted earlier, about a month ago, that I test drove an EX AWD (auto) and was disappointed with acceleration, & comfort (NVH). Well the vehicle utility and the forum discussions kept pulling me back.

Went to test drive Accord V6s and test drove an E again. Dealer had only 5 AWD and one 5spd DX, but did reserve test drive/purchase of one of their 5spd AWD EXs being built in May at $800 under MSRP.

I will say that any of the Accords is a better value if you do not need the AWD & cargo room of the E. Really want to like the E but believe it is not ready for (my) prime time.
    S852 - Where did you hear/read that? I've seen posts on other forums that dealerships are expecting delivery in a few days.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    It looks like it will be coming after all, just not very many.
    We will see if it they appear in just a few days.
    Okay. That I expected. Many people see the manual trannies as the "cheap way" to buy a car. In other words, the only reason it exists is for people who cannot afford the automatic. The Accord V6 was only offered as an automatic because they saw the V6 as a luxury enhancement, not a performance enhancement. The number of people who buy sticks because they actually prefer them is dwindling. So, in the marketing people's minds, it doesn't make sense to offer the pricier EX AWD model with the el-cheapo transmission.

This is a trend I do not like, but it's the sad reality we self-shifters must face.
  • superb_herbsuperb_herb Member Posts: 10
    goinstag - hello fellow Bay Area Element fan...I live in San Jose...Stevens Creek Honda is expecting a 4WD EX 5spd in the orange/red color...May 2003 delivery...the person at the dealership who called me is "Amir"...(650)722-3176...I'm not ready to dive in yet...go for it, if you decide you are!

BTW, when I'm ready to dive into a new Element, I plan to use those "edmunds.com" tips on new car buying (I've never had a new car). You may know this already...I didn't realize you could ("edmunds" says you SHOULD) get an Internet price before even going to the dealership.

Good hunting!
    Herb :-)
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    Autos are boring.. anyways, I am seriously contemplating an 5 speed Element DX for $13,999. Tes, you read that right.
    H2 was on C&D's 10Worst list for EPA mileage, mileage as-tested, and lateral acceleration. The thing looks like a Tonka truck made out of plastic. It amazes me.

Long live manual trannys.

-juice (all 3 cars in fleet are manuals)
  • slow43slow43 Member Posts: 31
    My wife and I test drove an E. I liked it but when I was riding in the back seat on a relative smooth 4-lane road I could hear my wife and the salesman talking but the ride in the back was to noisy, I could not understand the words. I was also amazed how rough the ride was in the back. When we finished the test drive I should have checked the air pressure in the tires and verified that the tires were not at +40psi. Has anyone else experienced a very rough and noisy ride in the back?

I forgot to ask the salesman if the sunroof had some sort of snap-in shade mechanism. I could see passengers in direct sun getting very hot.

Watch out for the overhead steel “U” where the doors come together. It hurts!
    I would like to see a magazine review and comparison of the Element and H2. I think it would be funny. The H2 would smoke the El on off road but parking and mileage would be interesting. I'll admit I like the look of the H2 but really is kind of embarrassing around town car. Such Excess. The upcoming rumoured H3 will be about 30KUS$ and looks more practical and smaller being based on another Chevy truck I believe.
    You know there are so many opinions about the Element that everyone should decide for themselves. You try it and decide. Everything from comfort and noise and blindspots and power and cargo and handling and stereo and quality and so on is all over the map. Its confusing to hear. Try it and make up your own mind.

I rented a yellow Ford Escape XLT with V6 for spring break in San Jose. The power was great and great sounding. I like the format of this car over the CRV (the hatch). Gotta love that electric drivers seat. But after owning an Element the Ford interior is boring. Well all other interiors for that matter.
  • jrock80jrock80 Member Posts: 66
    I am considering buying an Element as a replacement for my Accord. I really love the unique styling and how useful it seems to be. Have any of you had many problems with the new Elements? Being the first model year and all, I wondered how problematic things were. I am looking at the Element 2WD EX Automatic. (I dont need AWD, plus it makes it slower and less fuel efficient, but I wish they made the 2WD EX with a sunroof). Anyone have any sites with people who have customized an element? Anything anyone can throw in would be great!

Thanks!
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    I am thinking about replacing my aging '89 Accrod (it has been working fine since '89 with 21K miles now).

I am worried about the protential bugs in the the first model year, too. So, I have done some reading on E owners' experience at http://hondaelement.org/

Here is a list of the complains:
    1. Drive seats rock
    2. Windshield cracks
    3. Plastic panel scratches
    4. CD player skips

Besides that, many E owners seem to be very happy with their new E. Since my '89 Accord is still working fine, I'll probably wait for the 2004 model (and save some money meanwhile :).
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Seen a few of these things around now. I still don't get it and they are not hitting their target market at all. People driving them are all 40+ using them as cheaper small SUVs. They certainly look a little better in person, but over all they are ugly blocky things with zero in the way of style.

Not sure what Honda was thinking here, but obviously there are some of you that have bought. Even the Aztek sells 20-30K a year so what do I know.
    That is the style they were going for. I like it.
    Interesting about the driver's seat, I think that affected some CR-Vs too.

-juice
    I think the Element has gobs of style. Some do not like it, but it's there. Vehicles that lack style are the ones that look just like every other car on the road. Nothing else looks like an Element.
  • jnesjnes Member Posts: 6
    The Element is fun, The Element is affordable, the Element is virsatile, the element is easy to clean inside, I can sleep in my Elemtent, my muddy dogs don't mess my Element, my Element is great in the snow, my Element gets great gas milage.

My Element is not an expensive SUV

and it looks good here.

http://www.eburg.com/~jneslund/matt/Honda_Element/March03/element- 03.html
    Four wheeled conveyance.
    Looks good Joan. You're really enjoying your new wheels.

-juice
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    I have seen plenty of Elements on the road now and I really want one!!!! But can't afford a new car right now!
    Whenever I get out of my Element in a parking lot and turn around some old geezer has gotten out of his pickup truck or van and makes a beeline for my car to check it out. Older people want utility. Most young guys, like on the TOV forum, are 95% into power, speed and .... raging hormones.

Hey wait a minute I'm a old geezer.
  • kholzmankholzman Member Posts: 7
    and I was very impressed. My regular car is a '96 BMW Z3 and my wife drives a VW New Beetle TDI. We've owned many German cars, and more than a few American ones, but the Element is the first Japanese made/designed vehicle that we've seriously considered. While its not as solid as some of the other SUV-type vehicles we've looked at, it's much, much, MUCH less expensive, and more fuel efficient. The five speed has plenty of pep, but I would expect that the auto would be a dog of the line. We're looking for a car to transport our dogs in (a Pit Bull, an English Mastiff, and a Great Dane), and the Element is about the only thing on the market that will accomodate our puppies without needing a detailing after every trip. And FWIW, I'm 38, and haven't owned a car with an automatic since 1984. If the Element didn't offer a manual, I'd probably hold out for something else. After looking at the sunroof, we decided we didn't need the added expense and weight of 4wd. Now we just have to decide when to buy ...
    Out of curiosity, which car will you trade in?

-juice
  • ozone1ozone1 Member Posts: 87
    We're considering replacing our leased 99 Isuzu Rodeo with a Honda Element. I'm going to the dealership this Friday for a test drive, are dealers still asking for above MSRP? I live in Northern California (Marin County) and our dealership is in Corte Madera, in case anyone on this board has purchased from there.
    Honda sales up 21% for March. 6234 Elements sold. At this rate the 50,000 unit target will be surpassed. I sometimes felt the Element was just a vehicle used to draw people into Honda showrooms and then sell them something else.

Don't how this war will affect Element sales. Hummer H2 sales are up because of the war. Some people view the Element as a mini-Hummer so the war may increase sales especially those who cannot afford a H2 which is like most of us.
  • jerseytjsjerseytjs Member Posts: 2
    Is the Element comfortable for tall drivers. I am 6'4" and have a hard time buying vehicles.
    That's just plain amazing.

How'd combined sales (with CR-V) total up?

-juice
    CR-V = 12,652
    Element = 6,234
    Total = 18,886 units.

Jerseytjs - The Element has a very high roofline, but the seat is a little lower to the floor than the CR-V. Some taller folks have complained about a lack of leg room. Best to sit in one and see for yourself.
  • ssender1ssender1 Member Posts: 28
    Odometer just passed 3500 miles. I was skeptical about prior posts complaining about the low grade plastics used inside and out. I can attest that, contrary to some posts, the exterior plastic cladding has held up relatively well - the interior plastics, on the other hand, have been a huge disappointment. The gray plastic sills at the doors and rear hatch are incredibly soft as is the darker gray plastic used on the inside of the doors. The darker colored plastic leaves white marks when scratched and cannot be returned to its original color.

Another problem area is the rear hatch which does not fully close 50% of the time (it must be slammed very hard). This has resulted in a dead battery on 2 ocassions (the rear hatch light stays on). I have had a problem with the engine revving to 1500 rpm shortly after starting the vehicle and shifting into drive. Drives side seat belt rarely retracts completely. I suspect that most of these problems will be easily repaired next time I bring the vehicle to the dealer.

Still no squeaks or rattles. Overall mid 20 gas mileage. Seat fabric is nearly indestructible.
    im wondering i been looking at automobile accessories like car vacuum etc which say are 12v
    but if you see the plugs they are short like for cigarette lighter outlet....so what the hell can i plug into the 12v and i have a car vacuum and tire inflator that i used to plug in my cig.lighter in subaru..now they are useless

pulled over to curb today to mail some letters
    and this other car pulled up to my element and i thought "finally some people taking notice" and the passenger beckoned me over..
    hell she just wanted to know where the dmv office was
  • goinstaggoinstag Member Posts: 20
    I'm in San Francisco and have checked a few dealerships so far. Grace Honda is out for me--they were high pressure and irritating. The Daly City dealership wa the other extreme--low pressure and helpful. My next stop is SFHonda, but if your Corte Madeira dealer treats you right, I'd come up there. Looking for a manual 2WD EX myself, trying to decide between Shoreline Mist and Galapolos Green.
  • jefyoujefyou Member Posts: 6
    Have had my EX for 1 week and so far I love it. As for anyone with dogs (I have 2) it is a God send.

One thing I want to ask others is about wind noise. I notice that when I hit 40 mph the noise above my head picks up considerably. Below 40 it is very quiet. I also tried folding the side mirrors in and it made no difference so I rule them out as the culprit. I have the roof rack and that may add to the noise (did not notice this on the test drive w/ no roof rack). Anyone else notice this? Otherwise I assume that it is just a result of the less than aerodynamic shape. Still, I wouldn't trade it for anything else under $30k.
  • ozone1ozone1 Member Posts: 87
    I'm going to the Corte Madera dealer today and the SF dealer tomorrow, will let you know how it goes.
  • sema4stucksema4stuck Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when side air bags will be available? I've asked 2 different dealers and they tell me "in a few months" but when pressed admitt they're not really sure. Thanks!
  • kholzmankholzman Member Posts: 7
    The salesman I talked with admitted that Honda hasn't given them any word on when side airbags will be available. He did say that they were still expecting 4wd/5spd models in May or June, though. We're pretty set on a 2wd/5spd in orange now, just have to decide when to buy.

And in response to the earlier question about trade-ins, we're planning on adding the Element as a third car. My BMW is getting close to paid for, and the only way my wife would trade her Beetle would be for another one (which we did last summer, a '98 TDI for a 2002 TDI, black for white, hopefully VW will keep making the NB for another four or five years, because I think we'll do the same thing again, you just can't beat 45mpg and lots of low-end torque).
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    Im sorry, but the orange is available only in EX trim. The DX is available in black, blue, or silver. Come to chicago and pick up a DX 5 speed for $13,999 w/transpo fee!
  • minime5minime5 Member Posts: 41
    As long as you're not expecting a radio, A/C, ABS...
    Sales are a big success, then. For March it looks like the sales were purely incremental, no scavening off CR-V's normal sales level.

They may have to boost capacity at the plants!

-juice