Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Member Posts: 128
    Ben did a much better job in this movie. He still has a long way to go to redeem himself after the worst movie of 2003 and this one is a start.

All the other cars in this movie are from today. There is even a BMW motorcycle.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Anyone seen a 2004 yet? What about the elusive LX model?

-juice
  • capoanycapoany Member Posts: 32
    So, we have a Pilot, and it's a great vehicle for the family. I'm coming out of a 15 year long string of higher end Euro sedans...tired of the cost, complexity and suburban 'arms race.'( When a 5- series is a common as a Buick Century at the local k-mart, it's time to take an alternate route.) I drove the Element and like it's jaunty style, ride and quirks...and am sold on the Honda bulletproof- ness. I commute 50 mi round trip, have a few little kids, drive into NYC regularly, do the beach and boating on the weekends.
     To those who have had the Element for a while, does it have staying power as a daily driver? Does it hold up in the 80 MPH highway game? Is it comfortable enough for the 3 hour weekend getaway? Can one leave behind the leather wood and turbos and find peace in the simple car life?? OK, that might be too far...looking for input from similar heads on the board ...thanks in advance.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    NJ by any chance?
    In Jersey, but further south.
    Russ: saw Paycheck last night. Thanks for the heads up, and you're right, had I not been looking for it I would have missed it completely.

It was an Element EX 4WD (w/rear sunroof), Satin Silver Metallic. First you see the front view, then the side. Ben Affleck climbs out the back door, as you said, then just closes it. The front door never even moves. Then it drives away.

I noticed lots of product placement in that movie (sunglasses, phone, lotto, even spring water), but this one was odd. Why would Honda pay to show a car used in a way customers can't use it?

Any how, flick gets a B+, maybe. I doubt I'll remember it in a week, but it was worth it for the entertainment value.

-juice
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Maybe it wasn't really a "product placement." Maybe the producer just wanted the vehicle and modded it for artistic reasons. I think it would be false advertising by Honda if it was a product placement and they allowed it to be shown in that way.

Someone may sue if they watch the movie, run out to buy an Element, then get home and realize the doors don't work as "advertised."
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I was thinking the same... that Honda did not pay for this. Maybe the director drives one.
    Well, the movie is about a machine that can supposedly predict the future, so maybe they just wanted a futuristic looking vehicle?

Oh well, the publicity can't be bad for the Element.

If you've watched In The Bedroom, great flick by the way, a Forester is featured in that film. It actually gets a lot of attention, they talk about it in a scene at a restaurant, comparing it to a Jeep (presumably Cherokee?). In the next scene they drive off in it, it's Acadia Green Metallic just like mine. :-)

-juice
  • rickrxrickrx Member Posts: 1
    I live in Sacramento California and am considering an Element. Several times a year, especially in the winter, we head up to Lake Tahoe. Since it’s a 4 cylinder I’m concerned about the cars ability to handle the climb and the altitude. Has anyone had any experience with the Element with high altitude or climbing long grades? Does the element handle them well or does it seem underpowered. Thanks for any info you can give me.
    The only way you'll overcome power losses at high altitudes is with forced induction. The XTerra offers a supercharger and the Forester XT has a turbo.

If a turbo has excess efficiency, it'll just use its blow-off valve less than it would at sea level. So a turbo could make the same power even at altitude, while any normally aspirated engine will basically be wheezing.

I'm sure you could climb Tahoe fine, just don't plan on passing unless you have one of the two vehicles mentioned above.

-juice
  • murfdogmurfdog Member Posts: 61
    I am new to this discussion. I was all set on getting an sunset orange element when I got to see a scion xb. I like the box shapes of both because they provide great headroom. I also like the quality of toyota and honda.

I am now a little torn between the two cars. I realize that their uses are not the same but there are quite a few similarities.

Here is the problem. The scion is one price like saturn and is around 15k. The element you have to try and get them to bring the price down and anyway, its around 19-20.

Could someone please give me some good reasons why the element is worth another 4-5 thousand dollars.

Thanks, I appreciate any help. Would like to buy one of the two soon.
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    As a Honda owner, I also made a decision between the Element and xB, ending up with the xB. For my needs, the xB is the perfect car! It's incredibly roomy, gets better gas mileage than the Element, has Lexus like fit and finish and is reasonably quiet for a small car.

The deal killer for me on the Element was the hassle for passenger entry/exit and the uncomfortably low rear seats. On the other hand if you regularly haul a lot of stuff from Home Depot, or transport pets, the Element may be a better choice.
    xB is a good value, for that price you even get stability control. Everything comes standard, too, like ABS, I think even an MP3 player. It seats 5 also.

The Element is more substantial, has more cargo capacity, a bigger engine, and at the prices you're talking probably AWD.

What are your needs? xB looks quirky, but actually it's much more conventional. Element is what I'd call a special-purpose vehicle, question is does it meet your purposes?

-juice
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    the center mounted gauges. That's just my pet peeve. I don't see any advantge to it.
  • zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    Are the Elements poor offset crash results improved by side air bags?
    Certainly, I'm sure they would be. They only protect the front passenger, of course.

-juice
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I don't own an Element (maybe will in the future, it is on my short list) but the only reason I considered one is that one of my neighbors showed me theirs. We live about 6,000 feet (near Frazier Park) and we both commute to just about sea level (different parts of Los Angeles). My neighbor loves theirs (AWD, auto) and say it is comfortable on their long commute (I would guess it is at least 50 miles one way - my commute is 75 miles one way and they aren't that much closer) and they don't have much difficulty driving the Grapevine. Based on that, you shouldn't have problems with Tahoe.

If I get one I'd go with AWD and the 5 speed - I liked the way it was geared when I test drove one and it is nice having 4th gear to downshift to when it gets really steep.

Scion doesn't have AWD and it has less ground clearance. If I had a Scion I'd have to resort to chains and a shovel - that's not something I find fun at 4am...
    I thought that was side impact.
    Yes, it was the IIHS side impact tests where it didn't score well.

IIHS tests the cheapest model avaible, in this case a DX. They will re-test another model if the manufacturer provides one, but Honda typically does not. The CR-V and Element may score better with the optional side air bags, but I guess we'll never know, because IIHS won't pay to re-test them, and neither will Honda.

-juice
    Juice et al, you are correct: it was the side-test I was inquiring about, not the offset. I suspect, as you do, that the ratings from the IIHS would improve for both the Element and the CRV if Honda were to be more obliging about supplying test cars--as I presume Subaru is (seems a relatively cheap way to get good press). Nonetheless, I still go with the Subaru; I think their AWD (even in the X) is better than the "real time," as is both their fuel efficiency and their warranty.

AND, did I just read correctly (in an 2003 issue of Consumer Reports, which rated the Forester as the #1 small SUV) that the payload for the Element is only 675 pounds? Is this a mistake? I mean that's barely three full-sized guys--admittedly, perhaps a bit out of shape--but without gear!! Where do the obligatory black lab dogs go?
    Subaru tends to make safety features standard on their base cars. ABS, side head/chest air bags, AWD, etc. are all standard on the Forester. So the IIHS tests the cheapest model and obtains good results, representative of the entire lineup.

So Subaru doesn't have to provide a 2nd vehicle.

Ford did provide a 2nd vehicle, and the one with side air bags did far better (surprise).

-juice
    Looks like the Element isn't for you.

I for one can't stand the sound of the Subaru flat 4 cylinder. So no Sube for me. Everyone has hot buttons.
    You don't like boxers? Feels like you're driving a poor man's Porsche (water cooled, though).

Stated payload is low, but we calculated GVWR minus curb weight and it seems to be capable of handling more, FWIW.

-juice
    The Sube seems a little rough feeling and sounding. Kinda agricultural. This from a guy brought up on aircooled VW's. Much less displacement though.
    Boxers have inherent perfect 2nd order balance, so no balance shafts are needed (nor would they help).

The sound is very characteristic, I guess you love it or hate it. I like that it sounds unique, I can recognize one the way you can recognize a small block V8. They have character.

I don't think Element's powertrain stands out, its extroverted styling does instead.

-juice
    Leon-

Maybe it would sound better if Subaru put the boxer engine in the rear; then it might sound like one of those old VW squarebacks, with the sound always doppling away (unless you're in reverse, I guess).

Seriously though, the boxer noise does not bother me at all. In fact, find that most 4s have some sort of a distinctive whine--perhaps a good reason to add on a premium audio system.

Actually, I liked the Element overall more than I expected. The handling was crisp and the acceleration better than either the Forester X or the CRV (I tested the manual). I thought I'd hate the placement of the Element's stick shift, but in fact I ended up liking it a lot. Forester, like the CRV, has a more conventional placement.

Unfortunately, the visibility out of the Element I thought was poor, and the height of the door panels drove me nuts. I like hanging my elbow out the open window--not possible on an Element unless I want to dislocate my shoulder every time I drive. But, at the 20K mark, I suspect I'll have a specific gripe with any model.

-Mudge
    The shifter placement is divine to me. But I guess that's why they make so many different cars. Heck some folk would buy a Grand Vitara.
    I know what you mean about the door height on the Element, but I've found most newer designed vehicles I looked at yesterday at the LA Auto Show were similar - many worse. My guess is that it has to do with safety, but I don't particularly like the feel of being surrounded by metal, rather than the great outdoors. But guess we will all have to get used to it one way or the other.

I like the shifter where Honda put it. It didn't make a difference driving it and it sort of reminds me of the car my husband drove when I first met him (happy memories).
  • goinstaggoinstag Member Posts: 20
    I have to disagree with the comment about low seating in the back. In fact, my co-workers call the back-seat because of the room in back. Not one backseat passenger has ever commented about them being low, comments have been consistently positive.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The Forester felt kinda tight inside where the Element felt airy. The first of two things that turned me off of the Forester was the engine ruckus, it was livable but I would much prefer the 2.4L used in the Element. The second was the shifter. This particular Forester may have had a problem but the clutch engagement was so low that it was hard to take off smoothly. And as far as manuals go I would again have to give the edge to the Element.

I did like the equipment on the Forester. Just didn't and/or need it enough to justify purchasing one. I didn't buy an Element either as I found the 4WD auto a wee bit sluggish for my driving style.
    I guess a Subaru in reverse is basically a Porsche, LOL.

I had that height-of-the-door problem in an MR2 I test drove, of all cars. Same issue - too high to rest my elbow there. It also hurt visibility to some extent.

Civic Si's shifter looks funky, but I haven't tried it. Everyone that tries it likes it, though. Like the old Alfas.

Subaru does package in a lot of extras. That's good if you like that stuff.

I'll be in Detroit on Tuesday to check out the new Honda pickup. Anything else Honda will show there?

-juice
  • murfdogmurfdog Member Posts: 61
    see title
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Through YTD to Nov 2003, Honda has sold 62,649 of these. I personally never expected the E to do that well.
    IIRC, the inital estimates were 40K units each year with the ability to increase it to 50K units. Later they upped expected production to be in the 50K range. With 67K units sold, I think they hit their mark.

I expected it to make the 40K mark, but I'm surprised by the YTD totals.

In the next few years, the hype will die down, the competition will increase, and sales will start to falter. But I'm guessing they'll average out to the high 40s/year for the Element's complete run.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    ...I had a feeling they were dumping a lot of Elements at the end of last year, and delaying the 2004, just to up their first year numbers. Of course that means the 2005 could be delayed until next January etc. unless they hit a good second year early on.

My dealer (I just got rid of a 2003 Civic) new I was interested in an Element and twice made me very excellent offers...if I would take a 2003 instead of a 2004.
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    well hopefully at least appearing such an oddball I might have a smaller chance of it getting jacked or broken into if I take it into DC
    Honda had the Element featured "front and center" at the LA Auto Show. I was surprised - they had something like 3 Elements featured in the front, you couldn't miss them. And lots of people were looking at them. While I didn't go out of my way to look for one, I didn't notice the Pilot at all.
    Micweb - True enough for sales of the 2003 model, but the 67K figure is for the calendar year. That would be January through December regardless of model year.
    At last year's NY Auto Show they had maybe half a dozen Elements outside, some with special camping packages. The marketing team is working overtime and the sales show it's working.

-juice
    I know there were none around in January.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    hondanews shows the first sales month of the Element as Dec 2002 - they sold just under 1000 units.
    So, we have a Pilot, and it's a great vehicle for the family. I'm coming out of a 15 year long string of higher end Euro sedans...tired of the cost, complexity and suburban 'arms race.'( When a 5- series is a common as a Buick Century at the local k-mart, it's time to take an alternate route.) I drove the Element and like it's jaunty style, ride and quirks...and am sold on the Honda bulletproof- ness. I commute 50 mi round trip, have a few little kids, drive into NYC regularly, do the beach and boating on the weekends.
     To those who have had the Element for a while, does it have staying power as a daily driver? Does it hold up in the 80 MPH highway game? Is it comfortable enough for the 3 hour weekend getaway? Can one leave behind the leather wood and turbos and find peace in the simple car life?? OK, that might be too far...looking for input from similar heads on the board ...thanks in advance.
    Robr2 - That's right. I think January 2003 was the first full month of sales.

Honda has been pushing the Element in several venues. They've had more Element concepts (like the Studio E) than any other vehicle. They also used it for the Bibendum green car challenge.

Of course, all that press may be bolstering sales as well.
  • crcoxecrcoxe Member Posts: 72
    Sorry we seemed to have ignored you ...

Unfortunately, I may not be the best one to answer your questions since I commute one mile to work - by foot. The Element gets plenty of attention on weekends though, and the wife exercises it a lot during the week. If you do take the step down from the Pilot, you will certainly miss some of the creature comforts. We got rid of a MINI Cooper for our Element (a sad day, but necesasry with a new baby). I'll admit, I miss the heated leather seats, auto climate control, audio controls on the wheel, the handling, etc., etc. After a while, though, I seem to miss them less and less. The Element is really a great car for what it is - as you say jaunty and quirky. We love ours. Though it is admittedly a bit under-powered, it is also surprisingly quick and nimble. In the highway game, you can get by just fine, though acceleration won't be as good as you're used to.

Perhaps someone else can chime in on long commutes ...
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    "looking for input from similar heads on the board"

I never replied since I'm not a similar head. I didn't come from Euro sedans but rather from economy cars.

"To those who have had the Element for a while, does it have staying power as a daily driver?"

I think it's great.

"Does it hold up in the 80 MPH highway game?"

I don't usually drive that fast, but my latest 2.5 hour trip at 70-75 was better than I expected. I really expected lots of wind noise in a box, but it was surprisingly quiet.

"Is it comfortable enough for the 3 hour weekend getaway?"

I say yes.

"Can one leave behind the leather wood and turbos and find peace in the simple car life??"

Only you know how obsessed you are with turbos and and leather wood.
    I didn't respond because I don't have an Element, but I have talked to a number of owners in parking lots and gas stations. Recently I talked to someone who was making the trip from San Diego to the Bay area for the 8th or 9th time. I don't know how many miles that is one way, but I would guess it is probably an 8 hour drive. This person loved his Element and said he found it very comfortable on those trips.
    We were almost ready to buy an Element when we started hearing from some local people about the plastic panel fading and scratching easily. We keep a vehicle a long time (at least 10 years) and do not want something that is going to look aged within just a few. So now we are considering the CR-V EX. Did anyone else here consider the CR-V before they bought their Element? What things made you chose the Element?
    IMHO they aren't all that much the same. I would choose the Element because of its wash and wear interior and the fact you can configure it all sorts of different ways. Since I don't have kids, I like the way the back doors open - large opening. Besides, I think the CRV is boring.

The CRV could be a better buy for those who have older kids or who don't often travel with muddy large dogs. It does offer some nice options.
    Don't have any animals - however the wife might disagree. No kids either, but we aren't real outdoors type people lugging gear and stuff. The vehicle will be primarily for my wife (I wanted to give her the Civic, but she wouldn't go for it). I really like the 270 watt stereo in the Element, but like the gauges better in the CR-V.