Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Join us! Have fun! Win stuff!

2004 Honda SUV Olympics
  • michael4michael4 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Honda Element with 1500 miles on it . During the test drive we both felt a slight pull to the right. Now, when we go down the road or freeway and you let go of the steering wheel the Element pulls to the Right Quickly. We took our Element to Honda service and they checked the front end alignment and it checked out ok. We are frustrated in having to turn the wheel to the left to keep the Element going straight. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Take it back and have them check for a tire out of spec.
  • sebski21sebski21 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks to all for posting on this forum. I read a lot before I got my very own Silver Element EX 2WD. This is my third Honda (after 1988 Civic and 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - yes!, it's the old good Passport).
    I already enjoy this car a lot. It's huge, versatile, as every Honda dependable. The gas mileage I get is 24MPG in 50-50 driving (not bad for a new engine). I hope I'll get even more. ;)
    I used almost all cubic inches once - there's a lot of them!
    I paid 18,4K (20,03 in-the-door) for 2WD EXS, they also threw in cargo cover and carpeted floor mats. Afterall my buying experience was B at Continental Honda in Countryside, IL (these guys are bloodsuckers, but I guess it's all them).
    Now I hope my glass won't crack, my MPG will reach 30 ;) with declining gas prices.
  • zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    Is it true that four 175 pound passengers overload the Element? Is it a problem? Somehow I would think it would be for any active group of four persons, even without bikes, camping equipment--and of course gasoline.

We are interested in the Element mostly for hauling two people and two (maybe three) dogs; therefore payload is not a major issue most of the time. But when the family assembles, the four of us surpass the 675 payload limit by about 20 pounds. Add the dogs, and we're way over.

True, I suppose we could all stand to shed a few pounds or put the dogs in a trailer, but more to the point, is Honda seeking to rectify this shortcoming for 2005?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I hear Atkins works...

;-)

-juice (who needs to diet!)
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    I wouldn't see how the passenger weight can be anything that would overload the car considering that it's cleared for towing up to a certain weight PLUS crew and cargo.
    The only issue is people might want a little more power to the front so just turn off the A/C and open the car up down the road, as with any 4-cyl vehicle
    Well, when you tow you have to account for the tongue weight. If that's 200 lbs, you subtract 200 from your payload and you have 475 lbs left of capacity inside the vehicle..

The trailer itself has its own axle, that axle is withstanding the rest of the weight, i.e. all except for the tongue weight. Check your trailer's GVWR and subtract the weight of the trailer itself to find out it's payload.

I'll be honest, if you have to ask questions about payload this is probably not the vehicle for you. The CR-V has an 850 lb rating, the MDX is rated for 1362 lbs, for comparison. There are heavier duty choices out there if you tow and haul heavy loads.

-juice
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    The Manual for our 2004 Element says the gross vehicle weight rating is 4,450 pounds.

The FWD/MT weighs 3391 per Honda's web site. That would leave a payload of around 1050 pounds.

The manual says to include the tongue weight along with occupants and cargo.
    Maybe they list the minimum payload, perhaps for the heaviest model (EX, 4WD)?

I never understood why that number is so low.

-juice
    I forget which magazine it was (C&D, MT, or R&T), but one of them did a long term test on the Element. During that test, they loaded the vehicle up. In the next issue, they had a letter asking about overloading the E. In their explanation, they used the same GVWR minus curb weight to figure max payload.

Varmint
    2004 Honda SUV Olympics
  • dal1222dal1222 Member Posts: 4
    Unfortunately, you are not making a fair comparison. You are pricing the Element AWD against the Highlander 2WD. If you compare the Element EX 2WD to the Highalnder the price difference is substantial. As a reference, I just bought an '04 Element EX 2WD Auto for $18,195 +ttl. That makes the Highlander $4000 more.
    Just food for thought!!!!
  • alize2004alize2004 Member Posts: 9
    I finally placed my interest of a 2004 Element EX w/ side air on the net, giving local dealers a chance to compete for my business. So far, the best deal is $20,950 and I got them to throw in a few options adding up to about $1000.

I haven't brought up my trade-in yet since I'm working on lowering the price of the Element first (divide and conquer). Once I get them to agree on a price, then we'll talk trade. Is this a good tactic?
    Alize - It depends on how you feel about your current car. I've read two schools of thought.

#1. Negotiate the trade value first. The theory being that you are still attached to your current car. If you already have a price on the new car, you might be tempted to give away old-n-busted and speed up the process of getting into the new hotness.

#2 Negotiate the sale price of the new car first. This theory assumes that you will introduce the trade in vehicle late in the game, thus taking your salesperson by surprise. "What? You're not paying cash?" This would (theoretically) place the drool factor in the other court. The salesperson is supposed to be willing to give ground on the trade because they are salivating over the $ale of new hotness.

Personally, I think it depends on how well you regard your current car. If it's a scrap heap that you hate more than the voice of Elmo, #1 may not work for you.

The deal also depends on the kinds of skills you bring to the table as a negotiator. Some people are better at playing hardball, while others go further with a little sugar and spice.
    See if there are any no-haggle Honda dealers in your area. That takes care of #1 so you only have to negotiate the trade-in value, #2.

Or go through a Credit Union, often they negotiate a price near invoice for you, even finance the loan.

Finally, there are buying services, too.

Haggling isn't for everyone. I've purchased cars both ways and left much, much more satisfied with the no-haggle experience.

Good luck.

-juice
    Thanks. I forgot how difficult it was to play the pricing game w/ car salesmen. I haven't bought a "new" car in almost 10 years. I placed my 4Runner in an online ad last night and posted some flyers today. If I don't get any bites within a week, I'm giving in to good ole Carmax. Their offer has been the best so far.
    Thanks! I too agree about the "no haggle" dealers. The vehicle I purchased 2 years ago was from a no haggle dealer and it was so easy.
    Locally, Koons Honda bills themselves as being that way, but I've found that more often than not their price is not listed, it just says "call/e-mail" instead.

Kind of a bummer. I checked their Elements for you and sure enough, no pricing is listed.

Honda might lose a few sales to people that don't want the hassle. Locally, Toyota does have such a place, and they always list their price up front. It's so much easier than getting a low ball price and walking in and finding out that your car has a bunch of dealer installed stuff you didn't want *cough* College Park Honda *cough*.

-juice
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    If you don't want to hassle, just use a buying service and pay a pre-negotiated price.
    No haggling.
    Yup, my credit union offers that service. However prices for Toyotas are lower at the dealer that just does no-haggle in the first place.

-juice
    Last night I filled up and paid $1.79 per gallon in Illinois which is about the same as the US average. However the price I paid was very low at the local Shell station.
    I calculated my last MPG and I got an average of 26.23 (355.4 miles/13.551G). I drove a mixed conditions of 50% city and 50% highway. Plus a couple tips which most of you certainly know:
    - rather slow acceleration (The Element can't match those youngsters in their sports cars anyway) from full stops
    - hardly ever exceeded 65 mph (lately I got a warning for driving 64 in a 55 speed zone)
    - I had no need for A/C lately however that is changing with the weather
    - I didn't overweight the car (except with my own 275 lb :) [and I'm not fat, I'm big 6'5"]
    That's it. I think there's still place to go. But the average of 26.23 is satisfactory already, isn't it?
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    Is your E AWD or FWD, auto or manual??????????
    I'm sorry, I should have specified this. It's a FWD with automatic transmission. (By the way, I regret I haven't got AWD...).
  • schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    A couple of quick questions:
    1. Was the 26.23 mpg for the entire 2,000 miles or just for the 355.4 miles? I have found that you usually get some variability in how many actual gallons go in each time you fill it depending on lots of things (your accuracy, impatience, the ambient temperature, the specific nozzle you're using, etc). The best way to do mpg check is over a minimum of 5 or 6 fill ups so the discrepancies even out.
    2. I am not as tall as you (I'm 6' 2") but always find seat comfort an issue. How do you find the seats (especially the lower cushion) in the Element? I have only driven it briefly and it seemed OK, but lots of other cars I've driven leave my leg cramping up over time if the bottom cushion is too short front to rear (all Toyotas for example).
    Thanks
    Your mileage is great. Don't change your driving habits, in fact you outta write a book! ;-)

-juice
  • ronzoronzo Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Element was purchased last September and currently has 10,500 miles on it. I have been very pleased with the vehicle over all. It continues to surprise me every time I need to use it to carry items from 6"x6"x8'boards to 10 old tires when I was cleaning out the garage. The over all design is great. We bought the EX model and have since added roof rack, steps, fog lights, remote entry etc. This morning we found a 6" crack in the windshield. I contacted the dealer & it looks like they will take care of it. However, I do not want to keep running to the dealer to get my windshield replaced. Does anyone know if Honda has a cure for this or should I consider a trade in. If I keep the car what do I do when it runs out of warantee if they have not solved the problem. .
    Didn't Honda issue a TSB? I'm sure the dealer will install it properly, taking into account the advice provided by Honda.

-juice
  • ronzoronzo Member Posts: 2
    I really love the Element so I just hope they can straighten out the windshield problem. Thanks!
    The TSB is number 03-028. The problem has to do with an uneven surface under the windshield surface. They can literally hammer it flat. Then install new glass.
    Sheesh, the guy's a walking talking encyclopedia. ;-)

-juice
    On my resume it reads, "ambulatory, articulating compendium"... right under the line where it describes me as a big mouth.
    ...on July 3. I love it. Filled the tank for the first time awhile ago. Got 20+mpg which isn't bad for a tight engine (AWD, Auto). And this is assuming that the tank was filled to the top at the dealer. I just realized tonight that I never have to flip the rear view mirror the way I did in my Corolla. I sit high enough that everyones lights don't shine through the rear window.
    And Ozzy and White Zombie just ROCK on that stereo. Who sez ya gotta grow up??? I'm 53!!
    Just don't drive like you're in the Crazy Train.

Congrats. What color?

-juice
    1. The first 1,5oo miles I averaged 24.57mpg. The last 1,ooo it was 26.12mpg. I always fill up at one station (however, different nozzles). Yes, sometimes I drive more before a fill-up, but I think the nozzles are about the same at my local gas station.
    2. I think being 6'5" I got used to some discomfort as it comes to seating. Maybe when I own the Hummer the discomfort will go away. Actually the E is the biggest car I have ever had. Guys, I owned cars back in Europe where Mini Cooper is considered a midsize! But still driving my VW Polo on autobahn in Deutschland was a real pleasure! And the mileage was 54mpg... (diesel)
    Actually, this vehicle seems to make me want to drive very serenely. What also helps is that I've just moved to an area outside of Minneapolis where I use county roads (45-50 mph limit) instead of freeways most of the time. Also, the freeways in the city are mostly 55 mph and there's a lot of radar activity, so I pretty much keep near the limit. I suspect that 45-55 may be where the E gets its best mileage given the lack of aerodynamic shape. I'm also acutely aware of the fact that I will get REALLY crappy gas mileage if I get aggressive. Color is Shoreline Mist.....
    Shoreline Mist? Translation, please? Is that a green or blue?

-juice
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Shoreline Mist is the light gold color.
    I never would have guessed. Not sure I've seen one of those. I probably have, I just don't remember.

-juice
    To me, shoreline mist looks like a darker silver with just a hint of a brownish bronze tint. The main reason I got it is that this particular color comes with the darker interior. Also I think that SM and the lighter silver would show dirt (and road salt) a little less. I saw one just like mine today parked at a store. I was tempted to park right next to him/her.
  • calbearscalbears Member Posts: 3
    Anyone heard what is new for 2005? Will they include homelink?
  • deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    Our Honda dealer says the 2004 Honda Element has side curtain airbags available as an option. I have not been able to confirm this anywhere. I do know that side airbags are available, but I have not seen anything about side curtains. Can anyone tell me for sure if they are available? Thanks.
  • ztorinztorin Member Posts: 48
    These are the rumors I have heard and read about. No major physical/body changes at all, which I guess is typical of Honda. Here's the rest. Models will stay pretty much the way they are for 2005. Some color changes are coming including Rally Red, Cargo Khaki and Magnesium Metallic. Exterior composite panels will come in Black, Gray and Blue depending on your choice of exterior color. A passenger side power door lock switch is also being considered. Other rumors: XM Radio standard on EX model, Standard chrome exhaust tip, Revised antenna, New blue or black cladding, Standard side airbags, Cruise on LX.
    That, I believe, is entirely UNTRUE.
    Our 2004 E FWD / 5 spd is the worst handling vehicle we've ever owned in inclement conditions. It 'rained' here in the Boston area off and on over the last few weeks.

ANYTIME, the streets were damp and slightly slippery, starting from a stop and accelerating is a very tricky deal with this vehicle.

It's even slippery on woodchips and mulch. This 'car' needs some kind of limited slip differntial for the 2wd drive versions.

We got the E thinking that it would be great for our upcoming young drivers, since Honda had targeted the youth market. I can't believe they even sell the 2wd vehicle. Young, inexperienced drivers can't help but be in trouble with this puppy.

FYI it's going in next week for a new overhead light (makes wierd sounds when going off), a dash rattle (4 hours min to take apart and reassemble) and a nasty squeaking sound in the clutch pedal.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I would doubt that homelink will be an option on an Element. Most people don't care about it on the cars that do have it.
    Not so! Side bags are an option but these are few and far between!
    Huh? Side-Airbags, YES, are an option. They are in the sides of the front seats. I have them. Side-"CURTAIN" airbags, are NOT an option. Those are the airbags that are usually in the front A pillars of vehicles, or above the front windows/frames (ie, Passat).
    I too am in the Boston area and drove around during last week's rain. I however, do have the 4WD, (AT) but very rarely do I find myself slipping so much that the 4WD actually kicks in. Must be the more peppy 5-SPD. I went with the 4WD specifically because I know how the New England winters can be, and could no longer drive (or have FUN driving) my front-wheel drive Corolla. Back roads SUCKED in that thing. Never a major problem, but it was always scary taking off from a start in the deep white stuff.
    I am always surprised when the front-end breaks loose from a standing start on damp pavement. If you goose it even a little bit, like trying to break into a slot in traffic, it just lurches forward, the front wheels spin and the nose heads to the right from torque steer.

Can you tell when the 4WD kicks in? Is there a light on the dash or something?

I've been in the Boston area for over 20 years and my last M/T car was an AWD Turbo Laser. It was a blast in the winter. But we had a Sable wagon that my wife drove and it was FWD and never exhibited the slippery nature that the E has.

My kids don't even want to learn to drive in this thing.

Thanks
    My fault...I missed the CURTAIN part. That's correct. At this point side curtain bags aren't an option. No doubt this will change at some point I would expect.