Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    My husband is 6'6 (38" inseam) and he fit fine in the Element but not-so-fine in the CR-V. Otherwise we might have ended up with a CR-V EX 5-speed.

Since your wife wants an automatic anyways why not keep your Accord and buy an Odyssey/Element/Sienna/etc as a replacement for your Outback? Unless you need the AWD that is.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Thanks for all the thoughtful posts! While I got my Accord serviced, I stayed at the dealer and drove all the Honda trucks that fit (i.e. Element, Odyssey and Pilot).

I must say that although all these trucks had their charms, I did appreciate the handling of my Accord after the test drives.

At this point I will try the Accord for a while when the child arrives later this year and see if he Accord with a stick is a problem. If it works ok, I may just keep the Accord till we outgrow the Subaru and then get a Pilot or Odyssey. If I have an immediate need for another automatic car, I might consider getting an Element.

These are my observations after 3 back to back test drives:

Element – a good around town automatic with good hauling capabilities. A good practical second family car with some fun thrown in.
    - rugged and versatile interior
    - good space for driver and passengers
    - great stereo
    - iPod connector
    - Fun
    - Price
    - Lots of useable space for the money
    - Tight turning radius
    - Fun colors – orange and green. I like the black dash best.
    - Automatic is not that bad
    - A relaxed driver

Dislikes
    - louder engine
    - a little under powered
    - Interior is lower quality than Accord

Odyssey – a good car for a long trip

- smooth ride
    - powerful engine
    - flexible interior
    - refined
    - Flexible seating
    - Great car for long trip
    - A car you would keep till it wore out

Dislikes:
    - A little frumpy
    - Not so easy to park
    - A car I would like to have access to but not drive every day

Pilot – Awesome truck with power and style but do you want an SUV?
    - Neat interior details
    - Powerful
    - Great exhaust note under acceleration
    - Flexible interior
    - Not quite as large as Odyssey

Dislikes:
    - Most expensive
    - SUV image
    - Not bad on gas but not great
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It's good to have one AWD vehicle around in case it snows, depending on where you live. Pick vehicles in your fleet that serve different purposes.

If not, think about it this way - they are redundant.

I have a Miata and a Forester, perfect complement to each other, serving completely different purposes.

So if your Outback is a good trip car, the Element might make a good city car. You might even get away with a FWD model since you have an AWD in your fleet. Very cost effective fleet if you ask me.

The Ody would be a good long distance cruiser, and the Subie would still give you traction in snow and a little more manueverability in town. Perhaps the best combination of all-around utility for your fleet.

A Pilot/Outback fleet might be a little redundant, both serve similar purposes. If you need to seat 7, the Ody is probably better, cheaper, and more fuel efficient. And you'd have 2 AWD vehicles, which might be overkill.

In that case a Pilot/Accord fleet would make more sense to me. But I bet you end up putting more miles on the Accord.

-juice
    "Pick vehicles in your fleet that serve different purposes."

That's our philosophy. We currently have:

2003 Civic Si hatch: It's the commuter of the group. Good power, decent gas mileage, and small.

2004 Honda Accord EX-L manual: This is the car we drive if one of us is going somewhere with the baby or if we are all three together for a short trip.

2004 Honda Odyssey: This is our vehicle of choice when we are all together. We use it for trips to the grocery store, longer trips around town, and road trips.

1994 Lexus LS400: Okay, I'm not really sure what purpose this car serves even though I ask my husband on a daily basis. We've put 10,000 miles on it in 3 years and it's currently in the basement with a very intricate spider web near the exhaust. He says it will become a family hauler when we can flip the car seat to forward-facing.
    The LS is the car you take the opera. If you went the to the opera. ;-)

Or the car to cart around your mother-in-law, maybe.

-juice
    Good thoughts on the combinations of cars at a family's disposal.

If I am looking for an automatic everyone can drive and ride height for loading children - an Element is a good bet.

A Subaru Forester in XT trim would be fun, but it seems a shame not to get the XT with a stick. And the XT tricked out is getting into Pilot territory price wise.

A v6 Accord with an automatic does not give me the ride height but they are a good value and with a 6, it would have more suds than the Element on the highway. Sort of a TL on the cheap.

Element is a good choice though for fun, price and function.
    The XT is a hoot, no doubt, and does mate better to the manual tranny by far. The auto is a 4 speed and has no manual shift controls.

Prices have come down dramatically from a year ago, so look again if you really liked it. You can get a 2004 starting at about $22k.

You could always trade in your Outback on a new Outback XT (turbo), that automatic has 5 ratios and manual controls. Pretty fun and practical all-around vehicle. It costs a lot more than the F-XT.

Element is the bargain of the bunch, no doubt, if it meets your needs.

-juice
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Prius or Civic hybrid for commuting and whatnot (driven by Mrs. Varmint).

Element or CR-V for chores, winter driving, and trips with the kids (greyhounds).

S2000 for 3 season driving. I'd take a Miata if I only fit into one. (I almost bit on a '91 CRX Si last month.)

I'm very tempted to replace my '99 CR-V with a used (2yr old) Element. That swap would allow me to keep saving for my S2K and still give me an upgrade on my utility vehicle. Used Elements can be had relatively cheap. My CR-V now has 99,000 miles on it. It's at that point where you either sell it, or drive it into the ground.
    oper-what? :)

There ain't no such thang out here in the cuntry. Polk County, GA isn't exactly the mecca for fine arts.
    Keep it, varm. Let it be your beater. You can throw mulch in it and not feel bad.

Course you can do that with any Element! LOL

I don't think my dream fleet would include an Element, because I routinely carry 5 people (2 kids plus the nanny), but I have imagined what it would be like to own the following fleet:

Green Honda Element (para-military {family} duties)
    Yellow Subaru Baja (for our beach house)
    Orange Scion xB (wife's efficient commuter)

That's like a freak show in my driveway!

Can you imagine how much attention that would get? Kids would congregate here after school.

-juice
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    I'm considering getting some 18" wheels for handling and because the selection of performance
    tires on the stock wheels is non-existent. I live in Minnesota and have heard very bad things about the OEM tires (tire rack reviews). Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Hmm, my concern would be unsprung weight, ride also. It might be stiff and you might end up like my Z3 buddy, who has had to have 3 of his 17" rims repaired due to pot holes.

Plus Two is pretty extreme, you sure 17"s won't cut it?

If you do get 18"s, make sure you get a light rim, it might have to be forged to be light and strong enough for a vehicle like the Element.

-juice
    "Keep it, varm. Let it be your beater. You can throw mulch in it and not feel bad."

My yard took 35 yards of mulch the other year. I'd need a whole lot more than an Element of CR-V for that chore.
    Yikes, how many acres? :o)

I borrow Bob Holland's 5'x8' trailer and tow it with my Subie. That gets me 3 yards per load (as much as any full size pickup can fit), usually I do 2 loads and our play ground has a nice, thick layer of wood chips to pad the ground for the kids.

You must have a dump truck deliver the stuff!

Bob's daughter has a new CR-V now, but no tow hitch. He has an Explorer for that. One of his neighbors has a small trailer and he's seen him tow it with a CR-V.

Who says you need a V6? ;-)

-juice
    While I had the oil changed on the Outback last night, I drove the Legacy GT, Outback XT and Mazda 6 wagon. All 5-speed autos.

The Legacy GT is awesome - even with auto instead of stick. Drives flat through corners. Feels very tight and powerful. Wonderful interior. But like our current Outback, I do not really fit! :-(

I do fit better in the Forester.

Here is what I figured out - a telescoping steering wheel makes me fit in a car a whole lot better! So far, only Sedans seem to have telescoping wheels. Some SUVs and vans fit better than others do to upright seating position.

My Accord has it and I can pul the wheel past my knees and have room to maneuver my feet down there. The Mazda 6 has a telescoping wheel and I fit a whole lot better in it. But that car was weak, not as fun to drive and had a cheap interior. Out of the running.

For fun, on the way home, I sat in a Honda Element. It also lacks a tilt wheel BUT the upright position you sit in makes it work for me.

My goal is to explore family vehicles for when our family expands by 1. I'd like automatic and more ride height. And I don't want to spend a ton since I'll need resources for future family needs.

Bigger options considered now include:

Honda Element - $21k

Honda Odyssey - $29k

Honda Pilot - $30k

Nissan Murano - $30k

If I just want to go with a car that fits with an automatic:

Honda V6 Accord Sedan with Auto (with our without NAV) - $24 - 26k

Acura TSX with auto - $27k

and if I want to get fancy:

Honda Accord Hybrid - $30k

Acura TL - $32k

Infinity G35 - 32k

So . . . the Element appeals since it undercuts everything by $3 - 11k.

Maybe current Accord will not be a problem but Element seems best solution so far for the money. An Ody or Pilot might be a better long term purchase and eliminates the need to change cars in a few years when we add a second child to the family.
    How tall are you again? 6'4"?

Someone in the Outback threads manged to modify the seat track slightly. They got it so it would slide back an extra inch or so. You could ask them how they did it, it didn't seem complicated.

The Mazda6 doesn't quite make 200 lb-ft of torque, but more importantly it peaks at sky-high rpm. The Element and Legacy GT peak a full 2000 rpm sooner. That's the equivalent of waiting forever for your peak serving of torque.

Given you fit in the Forester, why didn't it make your short list? Even the XT turbo runs about $23-24k with automatic, $25k for a Limited with leather and that huge moonroof. 235 lb-ft of torque and a low 3600 rpm, too.

-juice
    Juice - Good memory! I am 6' 4" and disprortionately long in the legs.

The Forester should be on the list too. It is a bit better. I loved the stick Forester and thought it was a riot. The 4-speed auto though was just not the same at all, so I sort of precluded it. I do like all the standard equipment you get in the Forester like heated seats and mirrors.

The Element also has a 4 speed auto but it has a more utilitarian interior and feels like a "deal". Just like my Accord EX-Leather felt like a "deal" at $21.5k.

A Legacy with telescoping wheel or a Forester with 5 speed auto would come closer to my ideal.

The Element is not ideal in some ways either - going faster than 70 on the highway felt a little dicey and it lacks creature comforts found in the Accord or Subaru. But at a lower price, it seems a good compromise.

Another sedan to consider that I will have to try is an Acura TSX with automatic. It might have a little better handling than an Accord V6.

The more I think about, with the goal state being 2 kids, I do think the next car should be a minivan or Pilot.

Ideal for me - a Pilot and an Acura TL auto for the "fleet" for the family.

Cheapest Fleet - keep what I have.

Cheapest fleet with new cars - Accord or Civic 4 cylinder auto and Element.

I guess I am revealing my Honda bias here!
    I think you should keep your Accord as the commuter car in the family and buy your wife an Ody. The deals are phenomenal if you don't have to have the "latest and greatest" O5 Odyssey. Or lease the Ody on the Honda-subsidized lease program and keep your two current cars for day-to-day driving while using the Ody for family excursions. Financially it would probably be the same as buying one TSX or Pilot.
    True, the turbo is a lot happier mated to the manual tranny.

Element's low price does make it a low-risk proposition. It would be easy to sell for most of what you paid even if you do change your mind.

OTOH, if a van is in your future you can get a deal on the last of the 2004 Odys. I've seen LXs for $22k, and an EX with the DVD player for $25k, a screaming bargain. My cousin paid that much for her plain LX just two years ago!

-juice
  • rattlecagerattlecage Member Posts: 32
    Hi folks :)

Just picked up a Element LX hot off the truck for $17,182, love it so far. So Im transfering from the Toyota Avalon forum, well met :)

I want to get a light trailer hitch, I heard U-Haul makes a good one for the Element?

EMPTY FOGLIGHT HOLES:
    I also stuck little concave mirrors where the foglights normally go, lol, they look pretty good. 3 bucks at Kraken Auto parts.

LOOKS:
    Most people I've asked dont like the looks at first, haha. But it seems to grow on people. I have always liked the looks, even when it was a concept car.
    My Sister said this: It looks like a car that isn't quite finished being built yet". I thought that was a funny description of the fenders.
    I got the Saphire blue model.

The stock wheels are pretty dang ugly, I was even considering hubcaps... theres no way i can spend 600-700 bucks on wheels. Any ideas? Im thinking charcoal-grey and chrome, or blue and chrome, to match the body?

FLOORING:
    Any reason to buy mats for this thing? I saw some nice grey Rubberized matts for 8 bucks a pair at Big Lots. But ... are they necessary for the Element?

STORAGE:
    Storage seems to be a bit of an issue with the Element, they are roomy, but not a lot of cubby holes. Comments?
    Well if the kids are still in carseats, its ideal, the access you get to the rear seat is virtually unparalleled in its budget rainge.

The doors allow you full access and plenty of room to manuver the baby.
    Mirrors? Hilarious. The squirrels will be happy, they can groom themselves.

Consider take-off rims, or used. Check E-bay perhaps. Maybe someone here wants to get a Plus One and has alloys to get rid of.

-juice
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    rattlecage,

Congrats on your new E!

I don't own one yet, but it sounds like you got a good deal. Does yours have a auto or manual tranny?
    I got an automatic, I like it, the shifter is in a great place. I use the 2nd and 1st gear to help slow down from highway speeds.

The 5 speed was real nice too, short throw, nicer than the Accord shifter... but... they tend to suck in stop-and-go traffic.

The deep blue color is real nice, i recommend it.
    I think its called Fuji Blue Pearl.

Day 2 highlights: Went grocery shopping, put the stuff in the back seat, more room than the trunk :) Huge leg room!

My dog fits real good in the far back. The only thing is you cant see him there, so theres a REAL danger of forgetting a pet on a hot day back there.

Turning Radius is incredible. Combine that with its SHORT wheelbase, and its the ultimate parkable car. Any parking spot on either side of the aisle, is fair game :)

Only feature I miss on the LX is cruise control ...

Features I'm glad I dont have: Alarm system, automatic locking doors, I always hated how my Toyota alarm went off like a paranoid little dog, any time you entered slighty wrong.. And how it locked the doors automatically.

Some guy at Carls wanted to see it this morning.... he said it was bigger inside than it was outside, hah
    I'm sure the dealer can add cruise. I had cruise added to my Subaru 6 years ago, it's been fine. Cost me $200-300 IIRC, installed.

-juice
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    I got a class 3 on my 2003 Element through Uhaul.

Total cost with tax and installation $200.

Gonna haul an open air trailer halfway cross country , home next month.
    Uhaul wants to charge me almost 300 bucks to install it.
    111 for the hitch
    roughly 50 bucks for the ball mount and ball
    about 40 bucks for installation
    and about 100 bucks for wiring installation?

Did you get the wiring? They say its difficult with that vehicle.

I am tempted to get the Reese hitch, its 77 bucks, then i will wire it myself...
    Many of the rack retailers will do installs even if you don't purchase the hitch from them. That's what I did.

The place I went to, sold only the Drawtite hitch (which is a lousy hitch for the 1st gen CR-V). I bought a Hiddenhitch instead, but had them install it while I was at work. I think it cost me 25 or 50 bucks for the install. (No wiring on this job, though.)
    I'm thinking of getting the Reese hitch. Its 77 bucks, and I already have the ball and ball mount, from my previous car's hitch.

Then I can wire it myself, doing the hoakey method ( tapping into the rear lights).
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    I told them to give me everything that i needed and i have the wiring and stuff for it as well.
    I have the ugly steel stock wheels on my E, and someone nearby has the 16 inch Pilot Alloys for sale for 300 bucks with tires.

I was thinking about talking them down a bit, and picking them up, I did a quick measurement with my fingers, and they appeared to fit.

Does anyone know of any reason why the Pilot alloys won't fit on the E?

Thanks in advance :)
    Does the Element have a harness in the back, ready to plug-and-play? If so, it's not difficult - no splicing.

A hitch is heavy, but tie-straps help hold it in place and you can use a hydraulic jack (or a helper) to lift it into place.

I installed a Class I hitch on my Forester by myself. The harness was plug and play and it sure was heavy, but I managed in a couple of hours.

FWIW I think the Pilot's rims do fit, maybe varmint can confirm.

-juice
    In '05 - it looks like Honda is trying to widen the gap between the Element and CR-V. The '05 CR-V gets a 5 speed automatic, steering wheel audio controls, VSA, and available leather and heated seats with the Special Edition package.

Maybe there will be a "special edition" E in a few years. But it would be nice to have the 5 speed auto and VSA now.
    Funny thing is the CR-V had 15" rims, but will now get 16"s to match the Element.

-juice
    I forgot to add S-SRS airbags in the '05 CR-V.

Looks like it will be a nice vehicle. Unless the seats and dash change though, it is irrelevant to me. I fit in an Element but my shins bang the dash in the current CR-V.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    juice - handaaccessories.com has the install instructions for the E hitch. It includes the wiring harnesses which plug into the vehicle harness in the rear wheel well trim area.
    Definitely get the harness - no splicing, clean install, safest bet for no electrical gremlins down the road. No warranty consequences, either.

It's very nice when the plug is provided like that because it means you can plug-and-play with no splicing. Many cars do *not* have such a plug.

-juice
    I called American Honda and they told me that the new 2005 Element will be introduced December 15. It looks like it will be just about the last Honda to get updated. Perhaps they have a lot of 2004s left to sell.
    Isn't December the month when the original was released?
    Yup. They're just keeping the cycle the same way it was for the original 2 years ago.

-juice
  • hbhawaiihbhawaii Member Posts: 8
    Did a google on "Changes in 2005 Element" and came up with a site that listed very minor changes in 05 for the Element -- side bags standard on all trims, new colors, satellite radio, etc. One thing they mentioned that I've not seen here was "improved door sill treatments to prevent chipping." I'm assuming that's paint chipping on exposed metal in the sills. Is this a problem for anyone?
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    7500 mi on our 2wd EX 5 speed.

No chipping on sills.

We do have a squeaky clutch for the next service visit.

Plus it still drives TERRIBLY in wet weather. Worst traction in the wet of any FWD vehicle we've ever had. Winter here in Boston this year will be a real blast.
    side bags standard on all trims

Great idea, that erases the awful IIHS test result. IIHS will have to re-test it now.

I put aftermarket door sills on my Miata. Any paint will scuff if you rub against it often enough.

-juice
  • chulwoochulwoo Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

My element (4WD EX w/o side airbag,silver) has ~400 miles now. first impressions:

drive & handling: I'd say about what you'd expect from Honda. Some people will find accel and break 'too sensitive'. I had a 2000 Civic, which would also jump if you floor it. Since I'm used to it, It drives great! It certainly doesn't drive like a big car, which was the reason I bought in the first place.

What I like: very tall seating position, a lot of space, the shape (I love it!) etc...

Complaints: engine noise at highway speed is more than I expected. Hearing cargo sliding whenever I turn. Would a cargo cover block the noises enough, or should I buy cargo organizer(s)?
    Again, the shape (I'm still worried I might look just silly in 5 years)
    not being able to seat 3 in the back.

About the last point, It looks like to me that the replacement bench rear seats with 60/40 folding capabilities can be made, since it is removable anyway. Would other people find this sensible option, or am I just crazy?

Thanks,
    Tie that stuff down, in a collision they might become projectiles that could hurt someone or break a window.

I'd recommend cargo nets, or just bungee cord things down to the tie-down points.

I have not seen aftermarket seats for the Element, but some compaines do make optional 3rd row seats for SUVs, and a bench like those would seemingly fit.

I found a link for you:

http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/

Make sure whatever you buy meets DOT safety standards, including sturdy seat belts.

-juice
  • teamgekkoteamgekko Member Posts: 13
    Just a heads up on the 2005 element. I've been told by dealers here in Arkansas that the 05 models can be had with painted body cladding instead of that gray color. I'm guessing to compete with the scion's.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Sounds unlikely unless it would be standard for all.
    Are they planning to sell painted panels as a dealer-installed accessory?
    I don't think Honda would bother selling different Elements with and without painted panels coming from the factory.
  • chulwoochulwoo Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

I just bought 4WD EX Auto. I'm certainly enjoying the seating height and the space! (My old car was '91 Acura Integra).

However, it looks like sombody "ripped off" the license plate in front". The bumper shows screwhalls with tears. Also, I somehow got a rather visible cut on the rear bumper.

Since I live in NYC, I'm getting nervous about how these plastics will hold up... Also, there are many posted messages about the interior plastic. I'd like to know if there are any "proven" care instructions for these plastics..

Thanks,
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    We've had our EX since early 2004.

No real bad scratches outside, just a nick here and there on the rear bumper. We have a couple of scratches on the colored dash material. Nothing fixed either.

THe good news is that it's plastic and cleans up easily. The bad news is that it's plastic and is pretty wimpy.

Maybe the scratches accumulate over time in high traffic obvious areas that could have been higher grade materials. As they do, we should compare notes on the keen patina that the plastic acqires.
  • elementownerselementowners Member Posts: 2
    Body panels are in various colors based on the actual body color that you choose. For example, the new rallye red color Element has black panels instead of gray.

As for the previous question about caring for panels, I've read a lot about that on the Element Owners Club site.

Good luck.