Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• kgilkersonkgilkerson Member Posts: 7
    I am wondering from current Honda Element owners - do you slide your front seats forward, using the walk-in pedal, when people get in the back seats? Or do you always open the door?
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    There is enough leg room in the back to not have to slide your seats forward to let the rear passengers in.
    However- to let them in you do have to make sure that you're unstrapped and open your door- there is a handle to the back door on the inside of it, and on the inside edging is another one for them to open it themselves from the outside providing your front doors are open.
  • bellatrixbellatrix Member Posts: 1
    I think it depends on what you are doing with the vehicle. For instance if you are a soccer mom driving the kids all over town it probably does not work. However, if you are taking 3 or 4 people to the same place that you are going it is great. For instance, my wife, myself and another couple went to 3 art gallery openings last Friday night. The Element was perfect - tons of legroom in the back, very easy to get in and out, great 'space' inside to turn around and talk PLUS 4 cup holders for the wine! (Did I say that?)
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    If you are trying to get something in or out of the backseat area and are parked with cars on both sides of you it's pretty tough.

The doors open up blocking access from either end of the vehicle.

Since the front doesn't latch when the back is open, it's not too cool.

regards

04 EX FWD 5MT GG
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    There is no guarantee, but there are several VERY significant upgrades to the 2005 CRV that will probably turn up on the 2005 Element:

1. 5 speed automatic standard instead of 4 speed (yay!);

2. Side CURTAIN airbags as well as side torso bags, across the line (yay!) (as we found out from the Insurance Institute side crashes last year, side torso airbags are "almost" useless, but side CURTAIN (for the head) are critical;

3. Stability control is STANDARD across the line.

Items 2 and 3 are the reason I traded in my ZX3 on a VW Golf. If they turn up on the 2005 Element, I will have to seriously think about trading in my PT Cruiser on an Element, if not on a CRV, these features are so important, imho.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I agree, those would be major under-the-skin upgrades.

The 5 speed could make it both quicker and more efficient. CR-V's EPA numbers went up a bit.

I hope you're right.

-juicer
  • jonathan_rjonathan_r Member Posts: 2
    i always just open the back door. There really isn't enough room for people to crawl out of the front door- even with the front seat all the way forward.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Those are for the CR-V only. It may not be likely that any or all of those changes automatically go to the Element.
  • rog96rog96 Member Posts: 21
    Also waiting to see if 05 gets 200 hp ... how long before Honda releases info?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I'll bet you $500 the Element does not get a 200 hp engine. My apologies for being blunt, but that's just silly.

Honda will release info about one month before the vehicle hits the showrooms. I expect we'll start to hear about it in late October or early November.
    I know how to manage the doors in the grocery store parking lot.
    I just open the front door to open the back, and then leave the front door closed while I load up.
    I stopped blocking myself in...
    The just makes sure to open the front a little to close the back door, and just shut the whole thing up.
    I've had it since december and it took me until This early summer to find the perfect pattern for myself.
    Honda will save the 200hp for the sequel. ;-)

-juice
    Well, think about that for a second. I assume we are thinking about 2.4L from the TSX. That engine requires premium fuel and burns more of it. And it's an expensive engine to build. The Element is positioned as the bargain alternative to a vehicle like the CR-V. Giving the Element the full VTEC really distorts that mission.

I think the TSX engine in an Element would be fun, but let's be real about it. Anyone looking for a performance Element can strap on a roots turbo or supercharger.
    I was just kidding, anyway.

More likely we'll see incremental improvements to the 2.4l in there now.

Check out Jackson Racing, they have Honda applications for $3500 or so plus install.

-juice
    I know a few CR-Vers (1996-2001 models) who added a JRSC to their rides. One of them included a VTEC head from the Integra GS-R along with it. They estimated the output at well over 200 hp.
    Whacky but cool. :-)

-juice
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Varmint said: "The Element is positioned as the bargain alternative to a vehicle like the CR-V."

Looks that way, I unearthed a Honda press release and the EX, and not the LX Element, will be upgraded to ABS and side torso (not curtain) air bags. All remain with a 4 speed automatic, but at least sticks are available. No stability control, no side curtain bags, in any Element so the CRV for 2005 will be one big jump in front of the Element.

Too bad, I can get excited about the Element, but the CRV is just another d*mn SUV....

(No, I don't think the Element is an SUV, not only because it is built on a unit body instead of a truck chassis, but because it has a good bumper height compatibility with passenger cars; it's really a station wagon, if that weren't a dirty word.)
  • gxb159gxb159 Member Posts: 46
    I am in the market for a crossover vehicle as a second ride to an 05 Outback. My requirements (1) AWD (2) Safe and Reliabe (3) Good MPG (43) Must be able to hual loads of goodies home from Lowes/Home Depot. I know these are different vehicles, but both meet my needs.

Has anyone compared the two? I would appreciate your thoughts. THANKS
    I consider the Element more of a vanlet thingy than a wagon.

-juice
  • cmmurphy2001cmmurphy2001 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all - I'm a long time lurker, and first time poster. We bought an '03 Element EX in July '03, and have had good success with it as a vehicle. Great versatility, and even with two children, a 10 yr. old and 3.5 yr. old, we have had no issues with access or car seats - everything works great (as long as you remember to take off your seatbelt before you open a front door to let them out!!!)

Anyway, we have a 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo that we are thinking of getting rid of - maintenance and fuel costs (ie premium) are eating us alive - plus, its a 12 year old car. After doing a ton of research, we are considering getting a second Element - probably an '05 after December. Anyone think this is crazy? We really notice that we utilize the Element's space and versatility more than we need seating for five.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Chuck
    Yes, I think it's just a little bit nutty. :-)

Why not get vehicles that serve different purposes? That way more diverse needs are met.

What if one of your kids wants to bring a friend? Both vehicles in your fleet could only seat 4. Neither would make a good tow vehicle, either. If a recall affects both, you might be stuck with no car at all.

It's just a strategy that I have, that way diverse needs are met.

For instance, I have a Miata for sunny days, a Subaru for rain. The Miata is impractical, the Forester is practical. One is a roadster, the other a wagon.

That way I have the right tool for whatever task is at hand.

Your Volvo is quick and sporty, plus probably roomier for trips and can take a 5th passenger. You'll be giving all that stuff up, yet gain nothing since you already have an Element.

Just my opinion. Buy what you like, don't listen to me! :o)

-juice
    Honda has stated that all of their SUVs will get standard ABS, VSA, and airbags by the end of the 2006 calendar year. So the Element should be getting that next year.

Essentially, Honda works on a five year plan with their cars. The car is completely redesigned for the first year. Years 2 and 3 will see only minor upgrades based on consumer complaints or adjustments to content because the marketing guys missed a badly needed feature. Year 4 will see a refresh. At four years, the vehicle is getting a little old, and needs some new goods to remain competitive. Year five sees very few changes.

2005 is the 4 year mark for the CR-V. This is the refresh year. The Element gets the scheduled refresh in 2006.
    BTW, I also think the Element is a van. It has a flat floor running from front to back. That's a van trait.

Both wagons and SUVs have cabins that ride lower than the engine and cargo area.
    It's an SUV.

Suicide-style Utility Vanlet.

-juice

PS I'm not much on names, there is a water craft they label as an SUV
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    It appears that the main concerns with the Volvo are maintenance costs and premium fuel.

However, I might agree with you when you say two Elements might be impractical if the need to carry lots of stuff or 5 people arise.

However again ... you could do at lot worse than having two Elements when it comes to practicality.

As for the recall scenario, as long as it's not a crippling recall, you could just have one recall at a time performed.
    I got mine more specifically for that purpose. I bought it last year when I was still 21. It reminds me of my hatchback I had ( but much larger ) and I was looking along and saying " you know, this would be a great minivan when I decide to start breeding"
    I wouldn't want to have to change cars just because of kids and I'm hoping of keep it til it dies.
    Might as well- if that mountaineer drive hadn't snapped my leg, I wouldn't have been able to pay cash.
    A friend of mine just dumped a Volvo for that exact reason. It wasn't even unreliable, just that the small stuff cost a fortune to fix.

With kids to haul, I'd get a TSX if you wanted a 2nd Honda product. 4 doors and 5 seats plus it complements the Element better.

-juice
  • lbelllbell Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if you've already bought your element or where you are but I just listed an 04 LX 5 speed--but fwd--for sale for 15,500. Had a choice. car or house.
    Let me know if you are still interested.
  • lbelllbell Member Posts: 2
    forgot to mention---5,650 miles
    *snicker* I think the recommended towing weight for the Element is 1500lbs.
    Um- I overdid it but my baby is still strong.
    I have a class 3 hitch and the trailer was at least 900 lbs empty, and then loaded down with lots of boxes of crap. There was luggage sets and an entire bed, cedar chest, dresser stuffed so hard you could barely open the drawers, etc...
    And then what all my father crammed in the cargo of the car.
    It was tight, it was heavy- and it was 1500 miles through hilly part of the country- DC to East Texas.

I'm getting the oil changed next week.
    I'm sure the Element could probably pull way more than the recommended weight. 3,000 lbs might be possible.

But can an Element stop that much weight in an emergency? That's why Honda lawyers are very tight with hauling capacities.
    I was just incredibly impressed as were all my family members and friends that it's only a four cylinder engine.
    I'm sure you're right about the stopping, as most people don't even allow for sufficient space for braking even when they aren't carrying a load, for whatever speed they're traveling.
    Did the trailer have brakes?

Nowadays every manufacturer recommends trailer brakes for anything over 1000 lbs. Even for full-size Chevy pickups, I mean.

Honda included.

-juice
    I don't see that it did, actually.
    I borrowed it from Uhaul
    5' x 9' Ramp Trailer
       Spring assisted ramp for easy loading

Capacity Empty weight: 1,250 lbs
    Max load: 1,650 lbs
    Maximum Gross Weight (trailer plus load): 2,900 lbs
    Tow hitch required: Class 2 (3,500 lb. minimum rating)
    Hitch ball: 1 7/8, 2 or 2 1/8 (3,500 lb. minimum)

Dimensions Inside: 9'2" x 4'9" (110" x 57") (LxW)
    Ramp width: 57"
    Features Lowest deck
    Softest ride
    Easy towing
    57" wide spring-assisted ramp
    Galvanized finish
    Multiple heavy-duty tie-downs
    You're stretching the Element's capacity a bit, so leaving plenty of room for braking was a good idea. If a sports car cuts you off and then has to stab the brake I doubt you'd be able to stop in time, though.

Any how, US ratings are extremely conservative. Some Subies are rated for just 2000 lbs here, and 3960 lbs in the UK, even 4400 lbs in Australia.

The difference? The lawsuits.

-juice
    I don't see that it did, actually.
    I borrowed it from Uhaul
    5' x 9' Ramp Trailer
       Spring assisted ramp for easy loading

Capacity Empty weight: 1,250 lbs
    Max load: 1,650 lbs
    Maximum Gross Weight (trailer plus load): 2,900 lbs
    Tow hitch required: Class 2 (3,500 lb. minimum rating)
    Hitch ball: 1 7/8, 2 or 2 1/8 (3,500 lb. minimum)

Dimensions Inside: 9'2" x 4'9" (110" x 57") (LxW)
    Ramp width: 57"
    Features Lowest deck
    Softest ride
    Easy towing
    57" wide spring-assisted ramp
    Galvanized finish
    Multiple heavy-duty tie-downs
    Yeah, same with the CR-V. It's rated for as much as 2,400 lbs in markets that only get the 2.0L engine. We get the torquier 2.4L block, but our towing allowances are far lower.
    2900 lbs is stretching it, but that's just my opinion. Isn't the official rating about half of that?

Any how, you traveled pretty far and made it OK, proving the theory that some ratings are very conservative.

-juice
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    The ratings are not the maximum you CAN do. It is the maximum you SHOULD do and the maximum that doesn't void the warranty if damage is caused. I'm sure they decided at a somewhat arbitrary number that was rounded off with some leeway instead of calculating to the very last pound.
    I'm just proud with the simplest things about it.
    I had an '88 carbuerated 1.5tr model before this and you could even feel the difference with passengers on how the car would perform under the hood.
    I didn't want to haul all that but dad said it would be the most cost efficient and still mostly safe method of moving my stuff.
    I now have almost 14,000 miles on it and have owned it since December 23, 03
  • hnjjzhnjjz Member Posts: 12
    I'm considering buying a Honda Element and I'm wondering if it's possible to fit a child's car seat and 2 other people in the rear row of the Element. I know there's only seating for 2 in the back, but is it possible to have the car seat attach to the center of the back row (over the cup holders)?
    I can't imagine that would be very secure.

And you wouldn't have a seatbelt, though there may be ISOFIX anchors on the floor.

If you need 5 seats, I'd check out the CR-V.

-juice
  • hnjjzhnjjz Member Posts: 12
    Thanks ateixeira. I am seriously considering the CR-V, but just want to make sure that this is not possible before I rule out the Element since I like it quite a bit.
  • blueboyjocksblueboyjocks Member Posts: 36
    I thank you for everyone who shares their thought, idea, experience and even jokes in this forum (and others). It's clearly broaden my knowledge. There are more than plenty vehicles in the market today for everyone's need. But after long searching, learning, test drive, discussion etc .... you name it, I have a dilema where I cannot make up my mind to pick a vehicle for me, seriously guys! Finally I think I need to write something here, maybe I can get more clear idea from you all. I'm a single late 20's guy who likes biking, furnitures hunting and take my dogs to the lake for jogging. Most of the time I drive by myself. No off road driving, short trips to work and weekend getaway sometimes.

First, I was this close to get a scion tC. I had test drive and love it, 'purfect' for a single guy like me, but then I have problem since the cargo room is not as roomy as other vehicles. Then I think about Honda Element and CRV. I love both of them and as far as the price I still can handle it. I love Element especially with it's big oh so roomy interior and cargo dorm like, the con is lil bit too boxy, limited color options ( I love flint mica from tC), on the other hand CRV has a good shape, it drives like a car and generous cargo room but the tire noise and no MP3/digital-media auxiliary jack for my ipod like Element, makes me reconsider to buy this cute-ute. I even stretched my wallet a lil bit for Nissan Murano, it's a beautiful crossed-over car/suv like, but if I get this vehicle I may not be able to take vacations for a few years, so I removed it from my list. To give you some frames, I don't buy American vehicles or a pick-up/truck. Can anyone help me?
    When you hit a ceiling like that, it's time to hit the brakes and start over.

Which one made you smile the most? You say you love the Element, that should be enough to overcome minor issues you might have with it.

Don't buy what other people like, don't listen to anyone actually. Buy the one that *you* liked best. You're going to be the one driving it!

Have fun and good luck.

-juice
    If I have to chose between Honda Element and CRV, I lean more toward the Element, by sacrificing the limited color options (the orange pearl look interesting, but I don't wanna feel having haloween everyday), the odd look and not listening to people who may booo.... me. Since my plan is to keep the car for more than 5 years, I take my time until I have a commitment with the vehicle I end up chose. Any more comments?
    If you can stretch the budget to include a Murano, you can probably stretch it to include a custom paint job. I'd say get the Element and have it painted. Here's a couple of pics showing different concepts Honda has shown.

http://media5.motorcities.com/03A5C250316291E.jpeg

http://media5.motorcities.com/03A5C250316291A.jpeg

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/1107200314323229.jpg

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c445565a.jpg

Of course, both of those have modifications beyond a paint job, but the paint makes a difference.
    Genius.... bravo... excellent!!! You're right varmint, a custom paint it does make a difference, BIG time! Now you gave me some homework to find where in my area (Austin, TX)can do that kinda custom paint job. You have any idea how much that possibly cost? Thank's for the brilliant idea. I just called a Honda dealer nearby, they say 2005 Honda Element will be available in January 2005. Just about time....
    Thanks, I'll be here all week. =)

Unfortunately, I have no idea how much a good paint job would cost in your area. The only Element owners I know who have done such a job are "connected". For example, one is a manager at an Acura dealership and probably used his connections to get a better deal than the average joe.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Has anyone tried the AWD element in sandy conditions? How did it do? I would like to hear peoples off roading experiences. Just to what extremes have you taken it? It looks like a very light duty off roader. Thanks for your input.