Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    No, it's what you thought...a design feature. There is a way around it if I remember
    correctly...All you need to do is pull the inside door handle as if your opening the
    door and while your doing that just hit the power door lock or just depress the
    lock itself. Let me know if it still works (it use to work for me on all the other
    hondas I've owned).
    Question for all of you....how many ways are there to turn the cruise off while
    your driving?.......

Later, Lew :shades:
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    That's the way all Honda's used to be. Now I think the CRV and Element are the only ones that still require locking by key or remote.

Try this - pull the inside lever and then push down on the lock. It should allow you to lock the door.
    Question for all of you....how many ways are there to turn the cruise off while
    your driving?.......

Turn off? Only one: main button on dash.

Interrupt? Three that I know of:

Cancel button on steering wheel
    Depress brake pedal
    Depress clutch pedal
  • wallementwallement Member Posts: 17
    You are right. It works fine if you pull the door lever. I should have thought of that. This is my 6th Honda and my 2 Pilots both worked the new way (just nudge the switch with a knuckle). My 81/86/93 Accords all worked the old way.....I just forgot. It's kind of nice to grab the coffee mug, laptop case, umbrella, jacket, whatever and hit the switch....but I guess I'll have to re-train myself to keep a hand free!!
    Yes, I should have said interrupt. There's one more way though (besides what
    you already mentioned). I use to have fun with the salesman with this one.
    Anyone else know the answer?
    I'll B back later this evening with the answer.
    ;)
    If you press the accel and decel at the same time while cruising it will also
    take you out of cruise mode (interrupt).
    I have tried posting a review on the 2005 Element weeks ago and have yet
    to see any postings of any reviews for the 2005 model year. :confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The review software underwent some recent upgrades but meanwhile the reviews got stacked up (they are read for foul language, spam, etc. before they get posted). So it may be another two or three weeks for the backlog to get cleared out.

Hope this helps and thanks for writing one!

Steve, Host
  • goofycat1goofycat1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a smallish Honda GB500 that I would like to take to some bike shows. It measures 82" long (with front wheel locked and slightly turned to the left) about 2' wide, and 46" tall. I have scoured the Honda websites for interior measurements and all I get is cubic feet. I would plan to take out all the seats (passenger included, if possible) to get the bike to fit.

Am I in luck, or should I just plan on adding a small trailer?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Barry in California
  • goofycatgoofycat Member Posts: 11
    BTW, in case you have not already guessed, I don't have an Element.....yet.

Barry
    I must admit, for a minute there I was wondering if the GB500 was a new trim line for the Element. :-)

I suppose you could bike to the dealer and demo the fit yourself.... I'm sure the dealer would love that, lol.

Steve, Host
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Goin' Ballistic 500.

That's the new model with factory nitrous and 500 horsepower. Production is limited so sign up now. ;)

-juice
  • dslightamdslightam Member Posts: 12
    Hey Folks,

Last night I got the AWD Khaki Element 5spd despite all my neurosis about payload. I guess it's good impetus to lose weight. :) We're giddy, because it's our first new car after years of swearing never to buy one. Anyway, thanks for the info/advice. I may post again but hopefully it's not about problems and it's just obnoxious owner satisfaction.

Dan
    You gotta post about what you manage to squeeze inside.

I've had an oversized clothes washer in my Forester, still in the box, even managed to close the hatch.

One of the guys in the CR-V thread had about an acre's worth of sod in his CR-V, it was absolutely hysterical. The front wheels looked like they could come off the ground.

Not that I suggest you overload it. ;)

-juice
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I took some quick measurements during a test drive, so don't take these to the bank in terms of absolute precision. Length is about five and half feet measured from behind front seats and depending on where one positions the front seats. I wasn't considering taking out the passenger seat so I didn't measure that but you can probably estimate that. The width varies depending on where you measure, but it's about 41-42 inches at the widest point (back seats out) and (I think) about three to four inches narrower where there are "suspension panels." Folding the seats up takes up quite a bit of space in the area off the floor where the seats reside, but I assume you'd take those out. I did not measure the height at the tailgate because it was clearly cavernous enough for my needs, but, since the vehicle is 70 inches high, I'm thinking it should at least four feet shouldn't it?
  • goofycatgoofycat Member Posts: 11
    Juice and Steve: I just picked myself up off the floor after having the best of laugh I have had in weeks. The GB is a single-cylinder motorcycle with four valves, manufactured in 1989 and 1990 as kind of a retro Norton Manx. It is on the other side of the dial from the extended forked monsters seen on biker build-off. I like the Goin' Ballistic moniker. I'll relay it to the GB website. They will love it!

Barry
  • goofycat1goofycat1 Member Posts: 5
    Try a Thermarest by Cascade, a company in Seattle. They make mattress that are relatively light and almost inflate themselves. They come in various thicknesses and are thin when rolled up. I have used them for years. They come with a lifetime warrantee and will replace the mattress, no questions asked.

Barry in California
    Glad you were amused. :)

-juice
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I've been giving this payload issue some more thought, and it makes no sense for a 3,500 lb vehicle with 160hp to have such a low payload, especially since it is supposed to be a small SUV.

The only thing I could figure is that Honda is nervous about rollovers. My guess is that you could probably put well in excess of 650 pounds in an Element without doing it any damage. But if you end up flipping it, Hondas lawyers will come back and say you had it overloaded. I think it is just another reflection of our lawsuit happy and paternalistic culture. You see this with other vehicles that are essentially mechanically the same, but have much higher tow and payload ratings in markets outside of the U.S.
    In Australia even your basic base model Subaru is rated to tow 1800 kg, or 3960 lbs. About double what they are rated here in the sue-happy USA.

-juice
    Elements vary a little bit in weight, but the 4WD auto is 3587 lbs. The gross vehicle weight rating is 4450 lbs. Shouldn't the "payload" effectively be the former subtracted from the latter, or 863 lbs? Eliminating lawsuits and lawyers from the equation seems to produce a more sensible and practical, but not overly high, number.
    Congrats Dan!
    Gotta love that Khaki color. In the evening it looks like it has a touch of light
    green to it. Anyway...enjoy. :shades:
    Lew
  • andyman1970andyman1970 Member Posts: 47
    I believe the recommendation is as follows:

1) Honda uses break-in oil so the first oil change is at 3750 miles.
    2) Subsequent oil changes are at 10,000 miles for normal wear; more frequent for "severe" driving

Please advise otherwise.

Also, I'd like a decent explanation as to how this vehicle can get by with oil changes every 10K. This is such a foreign concept for me. I appreciate any insight as to what current Element owners are doing as well as their experiences.

Thanks in advance
    Andy
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    10,000 mile oil changes aren't that rare any more. Many cars have systems that don't require oil changes for 15K or more. They build engines and make oil a lot better than they used to.
    lumbar: good point, and you chose what is likely the heaviest model, too. A 2WD DX would weight a bunch less, and should therefore have more payload remaining. Wonder why they were so conservative setting that number. :confuse:

-juice
    Hey All,

Now I'm addicted to this discussion.. thanks a lot. :) That's essentially the conclusion I came to about the payload. My first time at the dealer, I did the same calculation with he GVWR. I've also spoken to people that have had 4 guys in the car and 4 kayaks on the roof with no issues. What clinched it for me finally was speaking to a independant mechanic who knows Hondas. He said they are usually very conservative with estimates like that. Also, given the demographic that they are targetting, the lawyers were probably worried that rich spoiled brats just out of college would buy this particular rig, flip it over because they were using it for some unreasonable off-roading, and Daddy would sue Honda. You probably just have to use some common sense when driving heavily loaded.

FYI: so far the Khaki '05 MT has been a blast. My neighbor and our dogs went hiking in the mud yesterday. Gotta love those floors.

Dan
    You sure it wasn't two tandems?

That might be pushing it a bit. Maybe it was those new compact ones for white water.

-juice
    I agree that might be pushing it, but it was nice to hear that someone had pushed the limit more then I ever would, yet didn't have problems. I notice a lot of lean with 2 big guys and dogs in the car let alone 4 and 4 kayaks. IMHO rollover liability is probably big reason for the conservative estimates on towing, payload, and roof-rack as apposed to other factors. It's a danger tradeoff that comes with the height of the Element.

Dan
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I have a sneaking suspicion, the Element's payload is tied to that of the CR-V. The CR-V is rated for about 850 lbs (based on those conservative estimates Honda is well-known for). The Element weighs about 200 lbs more than a CR-V and so the payload is approximately 200 lbs less.
  • wallementwallement Member Posts: 17
    Just bought a year old used 2004 with 25k miles. The plastic roof panel (and to a lesser extent the plastic side panels) seem to already have a slightly "weathered" look to them. The roof might appear to have some soap residue, not sure. Anyway, what does Honda or experienced owners recommend for cleaning and preserving these panels. I am concerned that with a year old vehicle showing this weathered look already, that in a few years, if unchecked, will really show age.

Any suggestions out there?
    I thought you were going to say something like they looked at that day's winning lotto numbers!

6-7-5

Payload is 675 lbs! Why not? It's catchy. ;)

-juice
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    Why not use the 5 speed Automatic Transmission that is part of the CRV in the Element? The Element outweighs the CRV by a few pounds and could definitely improve with highway revs down a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I love the E. I'm one of those 6'6" guys that have been posting about the space and headroom. I just think the 5 speed a/t would be a good addition.
    The CR-V just got the 5AT with the 2005 mid-life design refresh. The Element is a year behind the CR-V's production cycle, so it is likely that the E will get the 5AT with its mid-life refresh for 2006. I expect it will get the standard VSA, ABS, and airbags, as well.
  • andyman1970andyman1970 Member Posts: 47
    You might want to dig thru this thread. I believe some folks have tried Armor All and others (as ridiculous as this seems) use peanut butter. The PB might not be too far fetched as I could envision the panel/cladding absorbing the PB oil. My element is only a month old so I don't have anything to cover up just yet.

Let me knoe what you find

Andy
    I know this will seem like I'm off the subject a bit but my understanding is that
    peanut butter companies remove all the peanut oil and replace it with vegetable
    oil. They resale the peanut oil at a higher cost. Maybe we ought to be trying
    vegie oil instead on the panels ;)
    Who would have ever thought we would be talking about this?
    Who would have ever thought we would be talking about this?

We'll be back to the Element in a Jif!

Steve, Host
    Maybe some Element owners have a Peter Pan complex.

My understanding, without personal experience, is that a marine/boat product-- 303 Aerospace Protectant-- that comes in a spray Windex-type bottle is recommended by owners for preserving the panels from UV rays--the same purpose it serves on boats and similar items. A little goes a very long way and should be buffed heavily and restricted to the panels. The preservation aspect is not necessarily the same thing as the cleaning aspect, but I'm loathe to use Armor All on anything.
    I'm rotf laughing about that one, Skippy.

I use 303 a lot, and have found Vinylex to work good too. I've also heard that Armor All was reformulated years ago and works just fine as well.

Steve, Host
    ...works well in removing wax from plastic panels. The oils break down the wax.
    Peanut butter and toothpaste both have a very, very mild abrasive quality. I've used PB to clean tape residue off rubber. Not much of the oil was left behind.
    Sorry, I'm just not quite ready to start brushing my teeth with peanut butter. Next we'll be recommending baking soda for, ahem, caked on dirt.

I also have visions of deer and raccoons wandering the streets at night licking the sides of Elements.

Steve, Host
    But they'll have such bright smiles!
    Just use creamy. Not crunchy, or you might end up with scratches! :P

-juice
  • guammerguammer Member Posts: 2
    I commute in the Houston area (all major interstate and state highways) and have collected several chips and a crack in my windshield over the past several months. I have made the same commute for 6 years in a few different vehicles before the Element with never a crack or chip. There is no discernible difference in construction in the area or dump trucks on the road, so I am beginning to think that my windshield is less able to withstand the pebbles that sometimes fly.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, any recommendations?
    Just don't follow contruction trucks, keep a good 3 seconds behind them. They let off a lot of debris.

My wife tailgates too closely, I complain to her often. She's broken 3-4 windshields. Type of car doesn't seem to matter (Mitsubishi, Mazda, Subaru). I don't follow closely, and never had one problem with that. So maybe leave a little extra distance when following any cars.

-juice
  • 151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    I believe the more vertical the windshield, the more likely a rock chip/crack will occur. Our E has 3 already. Same problem with our Trooper and Jeeps. I drive the same roads as my DH, no chips in 10 yrs in my car (Volvo).
  • 151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    Just thought I would post that after 30k, the E's mileage finally picked up and we now get 26mpg, versus 22-23 the first year (EX AWD 5spd). :shades:
    True, but you'd think the high-up hood would offset that somewhat. Those rocks must have been kicked up pretty high!

-juice
  • north1north1 Member Posts: 11
    If you search some of the other windshield threads on other sites re: the E, you will find that cracking/chipping is an all too common problem. I took a quarter sized rock my 04' E windshield last week from a gravel truck going in the opposite direction and it created a basketball sized spider web...sounded like a gun going off in the cab. 262$ later I have a new shield and am leery about this happening often. The slope of the shield is quite steep, similar to Jeeps...there is also a class action going forward re: the design of the 03' windshield that Honda claimed it fixed in the 04'...any other folks w/windshield probs?

north14
  • smoot1138smoot1138 Member Posts: 15
    Hi!
    Thanks for asking the very questions I was going to ask! I too am eager to buy the Element but feel that there is about to be a change next year. I know that the 2005 models had side airbags as standard but I'm also hanging on for the side curtain airbags. I love the new colors 2005 has to offer but want that little bit more. :D