Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I have a Subaru Outback. Subaru loyalists maintain their AWD system to be more capable than that of the CR-V and Element, but hey, this is the Internet.

The xB is a touch too small for me overall. If it was 170" long we'd own four of them at work. Great packaging efficiency but not quite big enough for large humans. The CR-V, Forester and other cute utes make me gag, but to each their own. The Mazda dealer I went to today - Talerico in Manchester NH had plenty of Mazda3 wagons, but not 6 wagons, it didn't seem. I was underwhelmed and will stop by a MA Mazda dealer later this week.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    We also have an Outback and the AWD system that is on to some degree all the time is nice. My LL Bean is 80% front and 20% rear as a baseline state. That does take its toll on gas mileage but the traction is there when you need it. It is way fun on snowy winter days (only utilized when wife and kid are absent).

Funny thing about that xB - it seems that it has more passenger space than the Outback. Not checking spec sheet - just feel. Cargo space is quite small in xB.

And back to the E because that is what this forum is about - it feels more substantial than the xB - about $5000 more substantial.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    "And back to the E because that is what this forum is about - it feels more substantial than the xB - about $5000 more substantial."

I've actually read a lot of comments on various forums about the price difference between the Element and Scion xB. Scion's no-haggle pricing on the xB is $14,999 and according to Edmunds, an Element LX can be had for $16,703. Difference of $1,704.
  • haikunaluhaikunalu Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Howard, Island Honda said my car will be here in 2 weeks so I am going to wait and check it out, they participate with Costco also. What price did you get there? My deal was the 2005 EX, AWD, manual trans for $22,240 out the door ( that includes tax,etc). The Ranger I drive now I bought on Oahu and shipped here--$175--in 2000. The Maui Ford dealer played too many games.
  • hbhawaiihbhawaii Member Posts: 8
    Bought my Galapagos Green '04 EX automatic for $20 grand plus change in December '04. Have prices gone up since then?

Howard
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    FWIW Mazda5 owners are getting a lot better than EPA numbers so far, but Mazda recalled every one for an exhaust fire they have yet to resolve. Owners are driving loaner cars in the meantime.

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    juice - resolution to the Mazda5 fire issue. Operator error. Shall I post over in the crew area?
    So all you manual Element Drivers out there - is it worth added grin factor?
    Please do, that's more on-topic.

For that Element shopper the Mazda5 alternative can probably be test driven again soon.

-juice
    Any guesses as to how much more an Element with painted panels (EX-P) will be over an EX?
  • anitjeanitje Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know when the 2006 Elements will be on the market?
    My dealer says November or December.
  • so_caliso_cali Member Posts: 65
    Oct 21 is the first production date that I've heard which means in dealers early November. My guestimate on the painted panel EX-P is around $1400 more. We shall see soon enough. Can't wait to see a tango red pearl EX-P in person! ;)
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    Can anyone give me the straight scoop on the MPG that one gets in the 05 Element AWD EX Automatic transmission....

I also heard a Mid-November arrival date at the dealerships....the EX-P model is the only one I will consider buying....Although I disagree a little with the post above...I don't think the increase in price will be $1400....that's too much...The completely redesigned Civic EX Sedan only went up $725 from 05....the element remains unchanged for the most part...with the exception of painted panels...steering wheel radio controls...and few more colors....that's about it...

Thanks
  • stewardrobbinsstewardrobbins Member Posts: 41
    I can't help you on the 2006 Elements. I have a 2005 EX AWD automatic that has only 1000 miles on it. I'm getting 26 mpg in city/suburban driving. This might improve after it's really broken in, but I'm happy with the mileage for a car with this versatility and space.
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    My driving habits are weird. I live in the mountains of western NC and my trips are o-n-l-y 10 to 15 miles to town and home on twisty mountain roads. I'm getting between 20 and 22 m.p.g. which isn't bad considering short trips on theses roads.
    I'm happy.
    thanks dweiser and stewardrobbins....

I do have a few other questions for you if you don't mind....
    A little about my situation.....I currently live in Florida but will be moving back to the mid-west here in the near future and I was thinking about getting an AWD vehicle....now I must admit I already have a Pilot which my wife drives to haul around the kids and I drive an Acura at the moment...anyhooo...I started to think about the element....I never really noticed it before but recently gave it a separate look once I heard that they are going to offer the painted fenders in the new EX-P line...my wife is not real crazy about it but doesn't mind much if I decide to get one...my questions to you is how do you like it overall? If you have kids, is it a pain to get in and out of it because of the rear door? That right now is the only drawback that I can tell....Have you noticed any rattles or annoying things about the element? Just to show you how wide open I am...I am also looking at the Toyota Double Cab V6....drove one today....not bad...but the element is still on my mind....any help and or inputs you can give would be greatly appreciated....the great thing about this board is you can get the straight skinney on what's going on with a particular vehicle...
    Thanks again!
    I'm guessing the EX-P will be $800-$1000 more than the regular EX, but that's totally a guess. I'm just thinking they won't want to price it too high, but who knows.

I'm sure the LX will see a significant increase with the addition of ABS and the metallic-look body cladding from the EX. If the LX increases much, the EX will probably also jump up a bit. I'm hoping that's not the case, though.
  • stewardrobbinsstewardrobbins Member Posts: 41
    Overall, I have to say I love the little thing. We bought it as a suburban dog hauler. The dirt and wet resistant floor and upholstery, the folding and removable seats that leave a huge cargo area with a flat floor sold the Element to us.

The only negatives are: It is unusual looking, but I like the plastic panels. Rear door cargo access is not as convenient as a minivan sliding door, but it's no problem. No rattles or other problems. The last negative is that the road noise is higher than I like. The stock tires contribute and will be replaced reasonably soon. I also plan to dampen and insulate the doors and cargo area. There are long threads about this on Element forums, and it isn't that difficult.

Other than than, great little vehicle.
    thanks for your input....
    I heard the new 06 element won't hit the showrooms until mid-November....so will have to wait and see....
    I see that six new exterior colors will be added for '06, I wonder how many will be deleted? I loved the Cargo Khaki on the '05, but that was a "Limited Availability" color. I only saw one here in Atlanta. Hopefully it'll show up again for '06.
  • tabjrtabjr Member Posts: 4
    About the MPG, my 05 EX AWD auto with about 3000 miles gets 22-24 in suburban and hwy driving. However, I commute daily in downtown DC stop and go traffic with the A/C on and only get 14 MPG.

About the Element, I must say it's grown on me. I really like the utility but also like driving it. No rattles. Seems to be very well constructed.
  • tabjrtabjr Member Posts: 4
    Can you direct me to an Element forum that discusses dampening and insulating the doors? I've searched this forum and didn't turn up anything but your post. Many thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That doesn't come up much anymore. We had one discussion about it years ago:

Vibration dampers e.g. Dynamat

Seems like it's mostly the audiophile crowd that buys Dynamat anymore.

Steve, Host
  • 29trooper29trooper Member Posts: 8
    I have an O3 EX AWD/AT and get 20-22 in town (AC dependent) and on the highway 26-28 (right foot dependent).

Does your dash near the widshield rattle? I have heard this is a common occurence but wanted input from another owner. Also, have you had to replace any windshields yet? I have one time do to a crack, but I have a neighbor who is on his fifth. The dealer says it is a faulty design because the glass is too thin....it was covered under the warranty.
    I do not own one yet....I was asking some questions about the Element's MPG because I wanted to see how well everyone was doing as far as MPG goes.
    I'm waiting for the new 06 EX-P trim model to come out....then will get down to serious business...
    Thanks for your input.
    I was looking at the Toyota FJ, and noticed how certain elements (pardon the pun) are very derivative of the Honda Element:

* washable floor and cargo area
    * suicide-style doors
    * blocky dash design

So, are you owners flattered by this imitation? FJ will be more trucky and bigger, but it sure does ape a lot of features from Honda.

-juice

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326

Hmmm... You're right. Not identical in any way, but they look like variations on the same theme.
    They are more similar than I thought!

Pretty wild, no?

-juice
  • smootsmoot Member Posts: 14
    I was also comparing the FJ Cruiser and the E, but really...look at the difference in rear passenger leg room!
    The driveshaft tunnel, too. Of course Toyota has to leave a bit more room for all the 4WD hardware. Plus I believe that will have a live axle, so it needs room for the pumpkin to bob up and down.

-juice
    Looks like the painted panel option adds $500 to the EX. Build and configure to see what else is new!
    I think the EX-P looks great, but there are only four color options on each model. I sure hope they expand the color availability a little more into the model year.

As it stands, every model is available in-

Alabster Silver
    Atomic Blue (like the new Civic, like it much better than previous Element blue)
    Nighthawk Black
    Rallye Red (LX only, bright red)
    Tango Red (EX, EX-P only, dark red, way to burgandy looking for my taste)

They annouced several more colors than this when they released '06 model info, still odd to have so few colors right now, though. I'd love to see the Carbon Bronze color from the Accord and perhaps the Galaxy Grey from the Civic.

Can't wait to see an EX-P in person. So far, looks best in Atomic Blue to me.
    I just went back and read the press release from several months ago. There are a few more colors coming...

Rallye Red will be available on regular EX model (not EX-P)
    Kiwi (funky green) will be availbe on LX and EX-P, but not EX?
    Tangerine will be available on EX-P

It looks like the Kiwi and Tangerine will be available in 12/05, not sure about the Rallye REd EX, but you can get Rallye Red on the LX now. Too bad Cargo Khaki from last year isn't back again, but who knows? Maybe they'll do limited edition colors like they did with that one last year.
    I think the Element looks allot better with the painted fenders....wasn't even on my list until now....the only hold up now are those darn rear doors!!
    Although I guess it would be like having an access cab truck now a days....those back doors open the same way....
    The blue (EX-P) looks about the best to me also....
    Can't wait to see them in person....
    I'm so used to seeing it the way it's been, that I dunno, it just seems a bit "plain" without the two-tone.

-juice
    Looks best with the darker colors, IMO. I'd have to see it in person, but the red looks better than I was expecting.
    I like the atomic blue but I wish it came with a black interior rather than grey-blue. In person evaluation is necessary, however my dealer does not expect actual examples to arrive for a month or two.
    I saw light and dark red. Where is the Tangerine?

I wonder how close to reality those colors even look, the red on my screen looked very artificial. I bet it looks differnet in person.

-juice
    Tangerine doesn't show up if you go to "Build and Price". Instead, just pick the Element from the main page of the Honda website, click on colors then it will show you everything including ones that aren't available yet.
    Thanks.

I'll wait to see it in person, anyway. I didn't think the red looked very realistic, so who knows what the Tangerine would look like out in the sunlight.

-juice
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    At the Honda Civic auto show in San Francisco. The look is really nice, in silver and tangerine. The panels feel like Saturn polymer panels. The color is a pefect match in shade, but the panels don't quite match because the reflectance or some other factor is different. It's an effect that is hard to notice, but is there.
    My dealer got one with painted panels yesterday (he knew I wanted to see one) so they are shipping some. Perhaps small quantities so dealers have something to show?

If anyone has a photo of an Atomic blue pearl Element with or without painted panels, I would love to see it. I am talking real world - not the photoshopped pics in the 2006 Element Brochure! :-)
    nowakj66,

Where are you located? Was the Element you seen an 06?
    I seen an 05 used one that someone had painted......
    Thanks
    Central Ohio. It is Tango Red and they also have a black EX-P 06. Perhaps proximity to the plant gets them here quicker. I hope to see them after work. I really want to see the blue when it shows up on the lot. Orange and green too.

Red might be cool. The black seems a waste - just get the non-painted panel version.
    Here in central Florida they are talking about mid to late November....
    Can't figure out why Honda waits so long in the new model year to bring out the 06 Element....it is the last 06 model for Honda to bring out....
    They did the same thing last year.....seen the 06's on the honda webpage but have not found any invoice prices....how about you?
    KBB...Edmunds....doesn't have the invoice price posted yet....
    Can't wait to see them.....I was one of those guys that thought I would never own one....in fact I didn't really notice them at the dealership....been there many times with my Pilot....finally took a look at one and now have a different feeling towards them now...especially with the EX-P coming out....
    Will have to wait aand see....
    Thanks
    The Element has been released in November since the beginning.

In a perfect world, dealers would like to have a new product (or redesigned product) every month. It keeps the buzz going and attracts showroom traffic. So they stagger the launch dates of the vehicles they sell.
  • smootsmoot Member Posts: 14
    I'm a bit disappointed with the colour range so far. Someone mentioned that they were 'plain'. Have to agree with you there. Looking forward to seeing one up close, in person, to get a better feel for the new EX-P's especially.
    I think the Tangerine is the only really good looking color on the EX-P.

My favorite colors of all on the Element are the Rallye Red (not available on EX-P) and Atomic Blue. The Atomic Blue is actually better looking on the EX than the EX-P.

Actually, besides the cool Tangerine color, the EX-P isn't as appealing to me as I thought it would be. I think I still prefer the regular EX. I'm not too crazy about the new EX wheels, either.