Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• jsnapplejsnapple Member Posts: 4
    No ive not seen the orange ones, they just came out with the orange color. In fact i got one on order and itll be here in 5-7 days and im excited. i test drove a silver one today and i loved. it was sooo roomy inside.I cant wait until mine comes in.
    The orange color is bright but i seem to love it, i like the kiwi green color too but chose the tangerine color.
  • fcamposfcampos Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone seen photos of the 2008 model redesign? I'd love to know how Honda plans to alter this idiosyncratic design.
    No ive not seen the 2008 model redesign, thats 2 yrs from now are they going to be changing the body style?
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Congrats on your orange Element. You must be getting excited!
  • cchamberscchambers Member Posts: 1
    I use the spray tire black,,, It seems to keep it refreshed looking
    My tangerine colored element came in today, and i go friday to pick it up. they are going to clean it up and make sure nothing is wrong with it, im sooooo very excited!!!!ill keep u updated on how i am liking it.
    I am sure it will be sharp!

Just have to decide if an Element could work for my wife and 2 infants and me. It is certainly cheaper than the Odyssey option and a little more fun.
  • pretzelbpretzelb Member Posts: 64
    I'm not sure what's wrong with me but I find myself keeping the Element on my list. Please help me :P

I think my problem is that:

1) I love functional things
    2) I love storage areas
    3) I'm wanting to be in the target age group (college) instead of pushing 40

Besides the unique looks and the somewhat medicore 4c engine, I think my biggest issue would be the suicide doors. I have a 96 Explorer Sport (2 door) and I find myself frustrated with not having easy access to the back everyday to store my laptop bag. I have a funny feeling I will be frustrated everyday if I get an Element and have to do similar gyrations to put my work stuff in the back seat. A silly issue but there you are.

Related to that I also think the doors would discourage me from volunteering to drive. I do this now because getting into the back seat of my car is not that easy as it was when my friends where 10 years younger. I don't live near my folks but I really can't see them easily getting into an Element as they approach 80 years old.

Having said all that, I just can't take it off my list. Seems like such a fun vehicle. Though I can't help thinking that I should grow up and get something else. :confuse:
    I too obsess about the Element! I want something fun with some storage. I have one and soon to be two carseats and occupants to consider. I am also pushing 40!

Another fun vehicle I am seriously considering is the Scion xB! Check it out. It has a huge rear seat and 5 real doors and 5 seats instead of 4.

Where it lags the Element is storage but cost is much lower. Have you considered it?

I have not ruled the Element out due to better safety and storage but the xB is worth considering.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Another fun vehicle I am seriously considering is the Scion xB! Check it out. It has a huge rear seat and 5 real doors and 5 seats instead of 4.

Having driven both the xB and the Element, I have to say the Element is worlds above the Scion in interior comfort/design and performance. The Element has about 60hp MORE than the Scion. The Element feels more substantial overall to me, too. Then again, it costs about $5k more, so I guess it should.
  • 4runnerrip4runnerrip Member Posts: 24
    I'm in the same boat. I remember the 1st time I saw an Element, I said something witty along the lines of "Look it's the Pontiac Aztec's Japanese cousin". Then a few years drifted by, and I was subconsciously paying more and more attention to the little boxes on wheels. Then my 4Runner that I had owned for 15 years died. Grief-stricken I started searching for a replacement, my first choice being a Toyota Tacoma. But then price and fuel economy started playing a role in the decision and the "hmmm, I want a pickup but I really don't NEED one". So, there I was slowly coming to terms with my hidden Element-curious side. I would make excuses to drop in on business located very close to our local Honda dealer at first. Then one very rainy day I was driving past the dealer with my 7-yr-old son when called out "Hey there's grampa at the Honda dealer" so I pulled in - to see grampa you know - and that's when I looked at one up close for the first time. I still remember my son yelling through the loud rain from across the parking lot "DAD, NO! IT'S A GIRL'S CAR!!"

We have since both come to terms, I like to fun-to-drive & easy to get my hockey gear in and out aspect; he likes the back seat leg room and runroof.

Well, that's how I came out. My name is Ian and I like Honda Elements.

Ian

Ps. Would it be wrong to get a personalized license plate that says "Surprise"? No, I know, too geeky...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That would be a fun tag.

Maybe we should rename this discussion to "In Your Honda Element."

Steve, Host
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I have a theory about this - some people opt for the bright colors to enhance the contrast with the cladding. I think those people like the design and really want to show it off more.

-juice
    I like the part about "No Dad, that's a girl's car!!" because I feel like someone should be shouting something like that at me. The salesman politely said the resale is better with something like the CRV (which I can understand) and my girlfriend hasn't been too obvious yet but she has pointed out that if I want to try and reclaim my college days I should try a soul patch first as it's much easier to get rid of a soul patch. I also liked your comment about not "needing" a pickup. I certainly don't need one either, or the capacity of the Element, but at least with a run-of-the-mill pickup you get great utility, it's recognized as a "guy" thing (no offense ladies), and good resale value. You get good utility with the Element but target audience and resale are iffy.

To be honest I would not have put the Element in my list had the salesman not opened the door in the showroom and went thru the details. It's the storage, praticality, and gadget freak in me that keeps me coming back to it. I think it wouldn't be so hard for me to decide if I did have kids or had to haul gear around. Or, as I read in some of the posts here, I was into snowboarding and the like ;)

I don't think the Scion is for me. It's just too small looking.

Sorry for the bogging down with my decision woes. I'm trying to work this out in my head. Probably more test drives this weekend too.
    It's the value too. Subaru Forester, Nissan Murano are good choices but much more $$.
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    I have an 05 Element, Cargo Khaki. I actually traded in a Nissan Murano for it. Murano was a great car but so is the Element in a geeky way. I like the Element's quirky looks but I have to say that I think more men find them attractive than women I've asked. My vehicle's name? "Watson". "It's elementary my dear Watson."
    :)
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    I would like to hear from Element owners what real world mpg they get. I presently own an 05 Ody EX which averages 18-19 city and 23-24 hwy. The worse I've gotten is 15 city and best 27 hwy. Thanks in advance..
    That is an interesting trade. I am considering both the Murano and the Element. It seems you get much more for the money on the Element. ($30k - $21k).
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    pretzelb - With a two-door Explorer, you only have to open one door to access at least the floor of the back seat, so loading a laptop bag in the morning is a breeze. With an Element, that isn't quite so, but I wanted to mention that once you open both sets of doors, loading and unloading items from the rear seat/floor is a breeze without a pillar in the way. I can also understand your concern about having your parents get into and out of the back seat, but I also wanted to mention that, once there, your parents will have a lot of rear legroom to work with, something that impresses me about the Element and CRV. Personally, I have a 4Runner, and I wouldn't want to have to sit in the back of it on a long trip. Getting in and out is a bit of a challenge since the rear seats sit back a bit from the door opening... Just more food for thought.
    Well, I still love the Element but after a 2nd test drive on a 4wd EX I'm thinking I need to take it off the list. I tested trying to pass an Expedition on a 40 mph street after we both took a turn following a red light. I don't think the Expedition really tried to race me all that much but I found it really hard to pass them. I tried a CRV the same day and didn't find it to be as anemic in speed as the Element, but it was close. My head tells me that if I try to keep this car a long time that lack of power will drive me crazy. My heart still finds the car fun, though I do feel like I'm behind the seat of a van when I drive it. If only I were 10 years younger or they had a stronger engine!
  • hmd2006hmd2006 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I'm new here and was actually not looking for a Honda Element but I found one today. I thought the MSRP was really good for an SUV, but then on the window it had a "Fair Market Price" which added almost $3,000 to the price. What the heck? It was somewhere around $25,500 or more . . . I believe it was the top model as it had the single colour body. Anyone have any idea what this fair market price is, and why they're not using the MSRP that they also have on the window...?
    Element is a little heavier, plus you tested the heaviest/slowest model.

For effortless passing, try a Saturn Vue Redline, Forester XT, or RAV4 V6. All have abundant power.

-juice
  • travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    My 88 year old mom likes the ease of getting in and out of the ELement. She doesn't have to fall down into the seat or pull herself up to get out. It's the first vehicle she's ever comented on as being easy to get in and out of.
    The "Fair Market Price" sticker is another way of saying added dealer profit (aka ADM - additional dealer markup). Don't pay it.

For the "True" Market Value, check here at Edmunds.com (under the New Cars tab).

To learn what others are paying, visit the Honda Element: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion.

Steve, Host
    Actually I am looking at the RAV4 and the Forester and found them to be plenty fast. I don't even need the XT on the Forester as the non-turbo is fine for me.

It's funny because I really do drive very slow. I just do like to be able to pass someone who scares me on the road or to have the ability to merge quickly if I need it. To be fair, I don't need more power than a 4wd Element has ... it's just a preference.
    Fair market price is what the public is willing to pay for a product. If it's in high demand and few are being built, fair market price may be sticker. If the market is flooded, then rebates may have to be offered to move them.

Also, Edmunds can't deliver a vehicle to your door. They have no inventory. They are only a guide as is Kelly Blue Book, and other references. Prices vary in different areas, and different climates, and seasons.
    For the front seats, yes, but I doubt she'd even be capable of climbing in to the back.

-juice
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Prices vary in different areas, and different climates, and seasons.

You may be interested in this: Edmunds.com How We Calculate New TMV

tidester, host
    You're right. I would need a running board for the back seat. But then I wouldn't put my 88 year old mom in the back seat anyway.
    The "Fair Market Price" in the post I was responding to was a $3,000 dealer add-on line item to the MSRP sticker. Totally bogus in other words.

It's not too unusual to see Edmunds put the True Market Value at MSRP, especially for new models. The TMV may have been higher than MSRP when the Odyssey first came out, but it's very rare to see the stars aligned like that.

An '06 EX-P AWD Element TMVs for $22,051 today in my zip code - $824 less than MSRP for example. (link). And TMV is somewhat of an average, so many people will be able to beat it.

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

I agree with you on all points.
    Has anyone replaced the stock EOM Micky-Mouse battery on their Element with a real one?
    Oops, I meant OEM.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Would that be MEO in French? ;)

tidester, host
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Why do you consider the battery to be "Mickey Mouse"?
    Sorry, let me clarify my question: When I looked at the Element in the dealer showroom, I noticed that the compartment/area for the battery was tailored for a smaller than usual automotive battery and in fact the battery (eom) was smaller than average. On the Honda website they state that it's a 12V/45Ah, this is a particular concern to one who lives where it usually reaches -30C to -35C for at least a week every February. So, could a brute of a battery such as the AC Delco Heavy-Duty, listed as 750 cold-cranking amps (I know I'm comparing apples to oranges) fit into the Element's engine bay without modifications?

Cheers,
    Ian
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Well a little websearch showed me that both Interstate and Diehard offer batteries for the Element - neither higher than 550 CCA. I'm sure you'd find something higher at a local auto store.

I suggest you move to a warmer climate or don't start your car that week.
    Yes, from one who spent 18 long cold years in Albany, NY, most definitely, MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    We have the same anemic, shrunken battery in our CR-V. I tried to upgrade it with a better battery, but the sheer "pint size" of this battery and the corresponding small battery holder makes it impossible to upgrade. When we go to the snow, the starter goes "errh-errh" before the engine catches; its sounds exactly like a '60's era car when the battery is on its way out.

This is bad engineering - a desire to save a few pounds of weight and hence gas mileage, coupled with a desire to go easy on the environment with fewer pounds of lead plate, plus a desire to save a few bucks vs. a larger battery, coupled with a blind confidence that Honda's are easy to start so who needs an adequate battery?

Maybe it's Honda's way of making sure we stick with 5-20 oil?
    I think this is par for the course, my Forester battery was quite wimpy. My new one required a bigger base and has very nearly double the CCAs as the OE battery. Starts are much smoother now.

-juice
    You might call Honda's National Headquarts, customer service at 800-999-1009. See if they have any suggestions.
    I have an AWD Element.
    It came with Goodyear Wranglers.
    Let's make believe it needs new tires.
    I don't go off-road. I'd like a set of decent-handling long-wearing tires.
    Any recommendations from real-life experience?
    Thanks.
    Go with a quieter touring tire, rather than the A/T tires that are overkill for your type of driving. CR rated the Falken Ziex 512s as a Best Buy but check if they come in that size. I have a set on my Miata and they've been great.

Traction was so good at first that I had a little tram-lining, i.e. following the grooves in the road!

-juice
  • jadenisonjadenison Member Posts: 3
    I hope the 2006 RAV4 is reliable, as I ordered one. I still think the Element has a lot to offer, but I wanted the seating for 5, the RAV4 seems to have more power, and my Wife will be a lot happier with it.
  • little3little3 Member Posts: 31
    Fair Market Value is just another dealer "add on" to the price of the car. It is entirely bogus. Suntrup Hyundai in St. Louis uses it all the time to jack the cost of their vehicles then uses this FMV as a bartering tool. Don't waste your time...either flatly refuse to negotiate from the inflated price or simply go to another dealership. Also never pay a documentation fee. This too is a bogus expense. Check with the local DMV to find out the actual cost of title transfer and pay that but not a "doc fee". BTW the costs associated with clerical preparation of purchase agreements, etc. are already included in the dealership's overhead.
  • 00joe00joe Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm planning to buy an '06 Element EX soon, and wonder if anyone could provide feedback about some of the accessories. In particular, looking at the following: splash guards; floor mats (carpet vs all season); bumper trims, and; honda music link for iPod. Thanks, double-o.
    Were there any added accessories with the "Fair Market Value" mark up? If not then it truly is bogus. Also, fair market value can still be negociated. I'd go to Honda.com and find out what the invoice is and make them an offer. If this is bogus that dealer should be ashamed of themselves. I'd look for another dealer, even if you have to drive a bit further.
    Then I'd call them on the phone and tell them why you didn't buy from them. Maybe it'll teach them a lesson.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    I noticed through research that the Element has a 110,000 mile tune-up interval. I am looking at getting one, but wonder if it really is OK to go 110,000 miles, or if this is just part of a selling point (making it appear low maintenance). I can't even find on the maintenance schedule where it calls for the auto tranny fluid to be drained before then. Seems like going more than 30K on auto tranny fluid is asking for problems. Just looking for some feedback from Element owners as to what kind of maintenace you are doing on yours. Thanks
  • rudy2000rudy2000 Member Posts: 32
    As I was looking at new vehicles, my co-worker made a good point. Look at the crash-test ratings for less costly insurance. My replacement car is a RAV4. Its insurance rating was very low, as is the Xbox. But the Element, has a very high rating making the insurance rates lower than other vehicles in the same catagory. Plus the Element is way more fuctional than either the Xbox or the RAV. Luv the bump'in stereo in the Element!