Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• texvegastexvegas Member Posts: 17
    The '07's will have standard side curtain air bags, VSA, 10 more hp,possibly a 5 speed AT and center console. The front seat belts will be integrated into the seats so the back doors can be opened without have to take the seatbelt off.
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    To me the expected changes in the '07 are minor. How often do flog an Element wide open, the only time when the extra 10 hp come into play. The 5-speed auto would be nice, but again it isn't a critical component. Seatbelt shmeetbelt, 99.9% of the time I will be driving solo, so who cares. VSA only comes into play under some specific circumstances where it can be a saver but more than likely will not make the difference between crashing and getting out of it, because 99.99% of all drivers aren't good enough drivers to react correctly, which is why they get into an out of control situation to begin with. I have driven crude no-frills cars through the alps during snowstorms at night and near zero visibility, whatever I will find here in SoCal cannot even come close... :-)
  • applejfapplejf Member Posts: 40
    Center console on the 07's - what does that mean? And do you think it means the shift lever might be moved off the dash? Real men like shift levers to go downward toward the floor, not forward toward the dash! :)
    Shift levers for fly by wire, and electronic controlled transmission, cars can be mounted anywhere one's heart desires, as can the throttle. Either is nothing more then a set of contacts or a pot and a wire loom exiting from there. Due to practicality reasons and space availability you will certainly NOT see that shifty thingy anywhere near the floor, it would be more likely roof mounted...
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    I agree with you -

I don't have the brochure with me, but I remember there being something in the Element brochure about the shifter being up high on the dash to free us space down on the floor.

I get a kick out of hearing people say they will buy an Element as soon as the shifter gets moved to the floor, or the 4 doors open independently of one another, or when it gets power seats, or a power sunroof, or carpeting...

Well, IMO, the Element isn't intended for these people - they need to shop the CR-V!!!
  • pizarkpizark Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 Element EX,... LOVE IT! (and that's coming from a guy who used to drive a pimped out yellow S2000).

I think someone on this forum said it best that the Element is, "The ultimate status symbol for people who don't care about status symbols."

Anyways... I'm looking forward to the '07, even thinking about a possible trade... especially the model with the projector beam headlights.

Don't have any kids, so the rear seat access hasn't been an issue... but it really is a pain in the butt to use in parking lots. I swear that I'd be so much happier if Honda made a sliding rear door (mini-vanish, i kno).

Anyone else who owns an element hearing a clicking sound from the driver-side seatbelt area around the left ear??? bugs the crap out of me but don't know if it's worth getting serviced for.
  • applejfapplejf Member Posts: 40
    1racefan said: I remember there being something in the Element brochure about the shifter being up high on the dash to free us space down on the floor.

Yeah you're probably right, I just need to adjust my thinking about the shifter on the dash. In my defense, I learned to shift on the family Desoto. A 1937 Desoto. In 1952 or so. No I wasn't driving, my Mom let me shift gears while she drove, when I was 12. By gosh THAT shifter went into the floor! I could scoot over to the middle of the bench seat then because seat belts hadn't been invented. Lucky to be alive now, huh.
  • extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    The best thing about the next year's Element will be the 5 speed automatic. It will offer better acceleration, better gas mileage, and more relaxed freeway cruising. Some nice new colors wouldn't hurt either. I'm waiting for the 07.
  • edex06edex06 Member Posts: 2
    I'm curious what you're basing your statements regarding acceleration, mileage, etc. on? Do you know what the gear ratios are? I've called all over creation, and the dealers don't know anything. There's no info out there. I agree it's a safe guess that an overdrive 5th gear would most likely produce lower RPMs above 65MPH and thus result in better mileage, but it's not fact until we see some hard data. Likewise with gears 1-4 and the acceleration comment.
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    How did you like your S2000?
    You didn't look very far by my definition...
    http://automobiles.honda.com/images/banners/2006/element/element_factsheet.pdf
    4-Speed Automatic Transmission (Available)
    Gear Ratios: 1st: 2.684, 2nd: 1.535, 3rd: 1.081, 4th: 0.733, Reverse: 2.000, Final Drive: 4.438

5-Speed Manual Transmission
    Gear Ratios: 1st: 3.533, 2nd: 2.042, 3rd: 1.355, 4th: 1.028, 5th: 0.825, Reverse: 3.583, Final Drive: 4.765

P.S. Shun the worthless dealer who could not give you readily available information...
  • edex06edex06 Member Posts: 2
    ...and you didn't read very closely by my definition. We're discussing the changes to the 2007 model lineup. It has been put forth that the 2007 model lineup will include a 5-speed automatic. One reader presumed this would result in improved mileage and acceleration. I challenged the presumption due to lack of evidence.
    ...ooops, sorry, you are correct! While there is no guarantee, it would be likely that the CR-V 5-speed automatic would be installed. The two cars share an identical engine and driveline and a very similar platform. While the CR-Vs 5th gear is a bit longer than the Element's 4th gear, I think the differences are academic and other factors such as driving style, load, tire choice will outweigh the difference. But yes it would be nice. I noticed that my '05 CR-V has a very short first gear, presuably for offroading, but it makes it pretty spiffy off the line at a traffic light. The Element's first gear is substantially longer...
    I have no hard data, but generally speaking cars with 5, 6,or 7 speed transmissions give the driver better mileage and improved acceleration. Mercedes doesn't build 7 speed automatics to make their top of the line models slower or to use more gas. A long time ago we had an 82 Civic, 3 speed automatic, it had lousy gas mileage on the freeway and going over 60 mph gave me a headache, I believe the engine RPM was over 4,000 at that speed. Trust me, more gears will help.
    ....of course this is correct, but engine technology has come a long way too with motors that have almost all their torque at 2500 RPM. This too allows for longer gearing. When we consider the speed band we usually drive up to 80 mph. How many speeds can you cram into that... ? OK, I like to go faster too...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Anyone test drive an Element recently? Tell us about it here: Honda Element: Test Drives

tidester, host
  • lewisinbecketlewisinbecket Member Posts: 5
    Not sure.. It looked like MY 07.. but that was for Japan, so I imagine that we won't see it until '07 (for our MY 08).
    If I find the link, I will post.
  • boogie1boogie1 Member Posts: 6
    I am waiting to see if they make the seat more comfortable. The seat bottom has a seam with a support wire under it. This wire causes a pain in my butt even in short test rides. If Honda does not address this problem, then I will not buy one. I really like the element, because it has more headroom than any of the other auto's I am looking at. However, I spend a lot of time in my vehicle and I need a really, really, really, really....comfortable seat. My currently auto is an 04 Dodge Durango and that seat is really... comforatable, with no metal edges,wires,lumbar/dumbar,lumps or bumps to cause pain. I know many of you are fine with the seats, butt!!!! I'm not!!! :cry:
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    You HAVE tried driving more than one Element I ASSume?
    Meaning maybe it was a faulty driver's seat in one vehicle. I'm not exactly light and I've never felt it in mine.
    ...sorry I misspelled some words in the earlier posting...

Hello I just wanted to tell everyone that HONDA really backs up their product.
    I just had the trans replaced a power door-lock (slider driver) and replaced the ignition interlock on a van that is OVER 7 years old and has almost 80,000 miles on the odo. No hassle, no BS just yes sir we will repair this under Honda's warranty service. I never bought an extended warranty either. I will drive nothing but Hondas from now on and I will most likely buy them at Norm Reeves in Cerritos SoCal!!!!

Sidenote, - I had a lincoln continental, blew the trans at 72K, the motor at 75K and the suspension at 80Kmls. Ford told me to go fly a kite every time! Guess what? -- I dissuaded at least three peoples from buying a ford product, but have swayed at least six peoples to buy Hondas. I have three Hondas: a '91 Accord, a '99 Odyssey, and an '05 CR-V...
    And I really want to add an Element to the list... :-)
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    Echo to dweiser's comment. When it came time to buy, my mom sat in three different Elements to pick the one she wanted. The kicker for her was driver seat height since she's a little on the short side, and the one she chose was noticably different than the other two. May have been just in our heads, but we both felt this one was higher than the others. Might be the same for you and seat comfort.
  • justjimmy3justjimmy3 Member Posts: 5
    The Element is most definately an unusual vehicle - SUV/Truck whatever class it falls under. The only "con" I can see with the Element is the gas mileage. In today's day and age of $3.00 plus a gallon, it really should get better mileage. I've read post after post regarding poor gas mileage - some average 16 mpg - and highest highway mileage in the 26mpg range. For a 4 cylinder engine, that's sad.

With that said, I understand the various reasons why these mpg's are true - large (size and weight) vehicle for the class, high level of wind resistance and so on. With all that, I guess it's reasonable to expect this kind of mileage.

I have been looking for other SUV types and have found nothing that holds up to the specs of the Element.

I've searched and searched for the upcomming (2007) model and have only found the new SC model - lowered and tricked out.

I've heard rumors about a new 5 speed Automatic transmission but can't find any confirmation to this rumor - hoping it's true.

Enough rambeling -

Is there something I'm missing about other alternatives - is there any truth to the 5 speed auto rumor - is there additional information out there that you can point me to?

:: stepping of my soap box::
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I don't remember where I read it, but the 2007's are all (not just the "street" version) supposed to be coming with the 5 speed automatic, with side curtain airbags, and with the seats that have the shoulder harness attachment point on the seat instead of on the door, so you can open the rear suicide door without detaching your seat belt. These are all significant upgrades.

I am not sure whether they are going to include ESP (stability control) like on the CR-V, but it sure needs it, on the Honda consumer test drive course last year I almost tipped one over zipping around traffic cones, it plowed and rolled a lot. Of course neither I nor most people usually drive like that!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Element is unconventional, so the alternatives tend to be slightly more conventional models that are otherwise similar.

Those include Honda's own CR-V, the RAV4 4 cylinder, and the Forester non-turbo models, especially the LL Bean since it has a similar uncarpeted cargo area.

Outside the small crossover class, you might even include the Matrix for its plastic cargo area. Or even the Toyota FJ Cruiser, for the suicide style doors.

Nowadays people cross-shop all over the place, so don't be surprised if people also consider a Prius and a Vespa. ;)

-juice
  • johnsontwinsjohnsontwins Member Posts: 1
    We are seriously considering purchasing an Element for reasons some consider to be the "negatives". We have 19 month old twins. The passenger leg space is tremendous..lots of room for toys, etc! The functioning of the doors, we consider a safety-plus. I do not want my boys getting out of the E or any other car without our assistance. We immediately turn to open our passenger doors whenever we leave our autos to get the boys..sometimes when they are not with us..so automatic. I also see the durable interior very child friendly. The clam shell rear doors will work for us too. If we need to change a diaper while traveling and the cargo area is packed, we can change on the tailgate like we do with our Titan. In our Pathfinder, we would have to clear an area of the cargo in order to do this. I personally think it is a great car for kids...
    The driver's seat has a height adjuster on the left side, the first thing I do when I get in the Element is to raise the seat as high as possible. But I think it's still not high enough, and I am 5'10".
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    extech2 - Yeah, we jacked the seat up all the way in all three. There was still a noticeable difference with the one that won out. My mom still has to sit on an aftermarket seat cushion. She's about 5'3".
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    The Element is a great car for kids in some aspects - roomy for the price, the easy clean interior.

It has draw backs though in that the suicide doors can be a pain. For the same reason many families do not consider coupes as daily drivers, the suicide doors are a limitation and seem better suited to infrequent back seat use. They are better than a coupe but you have to contend with them. You will notice the back seat is LOW for adults - again not a problem for kids.

At least on the new SC 2007 "urban" Element the need to take off the front seat belt to get at the rear doors has been resolved. My understanding is that the rest of the Elements still have the suicide door design issue with the front seat belt. Not an issue with little kids though and some parents like the added safety of being in control of when kids leave the vehicle.

So the doors killed it for me and the lack of a telescoping wheel.

I was initially very enthusiastic about an Element as a family vehicle but ended up getting an Odyssey which is much much more practical for our family. My kids are 2 years and 6 months. The Ody also lacks a telescoping wheel but the model we purchased did have power pedals and the Ody has generally more front leg room.

The Ody lacks the funky cool of the Element and is not as aggresively priced.

The Element is not a crazy choice. It is fun and well priced. Just know what you are getting into before you take the plunge.
    Juice,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate the broad range of choices that are out there. A few things that most interest me is versility and mpg - one of which the Element provides. Most of my driving is in-town so the 16-18 mpg ave concerns me.

Looks like the '07 may help that somewhat.

Thanks again.
    "Most of my driving is in-town so the 16-18 mpg ave concerns me"

That is odd...my wife's '06 4wd, automatic is getting 23mpg consistently in town. I took it on a highway run last weekend to pick up 3 pieces of furniture 140 miles away (280 mi round trip). I got 26mpg with it loaded down with a dresser, 2 end tables, and a large framed mirror on board. It currently has 3,500 miles on the clock.
    Yes, that is odd. I've looked on MANY posts regarding gas mileage and the great majority report 16-18 city mileage.

As a mater of fact, there is a post on Edmunds that specifically talks about gas mileage for the Element that discusses in detail mpg across many members.

I'm going to check it out again.
    I would think that is people really are only getting 16-18mpg in the city, there must be more to the story than meets the eye. My wife drives the car during the week, and I typically take it and fill it up on Saturday. When she drives, she doesn't exactly strive to acheive the highest fuel mileage if you know what I mean - and still manages to get 23.
  • boogie1boogie1 Member Posts: 6
    I HAVE TRIED MANY,MANY AND WELL JUST TOO MANY!!!! THE SEAM THAT RUNS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEAT CAUSES PAIN IN MY, WELL YOU KNOW WHERE. I AM REALLY PICKY, BECAUSE I SPEND ABOUT 4 HOURS A DAY IN MY CAR. I JUST TEST DROVE A VW GTI AND RABBIT. THOSE CARS GIVE ME ENOUGH HEADROOM AND THEY PERFORM WORLDS BETTER THAN THE ELEMENT, SO I THINK I'M GOING TO LISTIN TO MY "FAST" AND GO FOR A GTI. GIGIDY, GIGIDY, GOO. :P
    Just be sure to secure those toys, use tie-downs or something so they don't fly around in an accident.

Also, conventional doors have child safety locks, i.e. the doors only open from the outside. We use them all the time. Funny thing is the kids try to climb out the FRONT doors! :D

-juice
  • 151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    I have a 04 EX-S 4wd MT with two kids, 5 and 6. The pluses are they can't kick the seat and the floor is plastic.

The bad news is that everything on the floor slides to the front/back (shoes, french fries, etc.). And the suicide doors are painful when everyone is trying to get in the car at the same time.
  • bigbutrbigbutr Member Posts: 111
    I do hope Honda does make a hybrid version of the Element. As a rural USPS mail carrier with a lot of stop-and-go driving and short distances between boxes, just running on electricity certainly would be nice.
    But to my original point, is there some reason why you can't get a power sunroof on the Element? Is it something to do with its center of gravity? Would adding that weight to the top make it too top heavy and cause it to tip in accident avoidance testing? I also wish they offered that big rear sunroof in the 2WD EX model and not just the 4WD. That's the biggest sticking point with me now. Even though I have some dirt roads, they've never been that bad to where I would need a 4WD vehicle. I currently drive an S-10 extended cab and have never gotten stuck. Since gas mileage is certainly a big factor, I don't really need the extra weight (and costs) 4WD offers up. But is there really a noticeable mileage difference?
    Just my two cents!
    EX models have one, sort of, it's just farther back.

There's a more conventional one in the CR-V, the Element is just, well, unconventional.

-juice
    It is the 4x4 option that is tied to the sunroof and NOT the LX / EX variant...
  • no_clutterno_clutter Member Posts: 8
    This "Category Killer" type of cars are not so difficult to find these days. If you are looking for the practicality of an Element in terms of space, utility, gas mileage, and quality expectations; then take a look at the new Mazda5. I have not driven one yet, but I know it has "practicality" written all over it at the price that is highly comparable to that of Element.

In addition to their extraordinary level of practicality, each has its unique identity. The Element has the "I want to be an SUV" identity, while the Mazda5 has the "I want to be a Minivan" identity. Either does a perfect job in the "I want to be" department, but both hit high marks on the practicality and category killing at an affordable price range.

As a side note: If you are looking for high BB ratio (bang/buck), then take a look at xB. Not much to look at or drive on, but it has very HIGH BB ratio.
    I stand corrected. Thanks.

-juice
  • extremebigdogextremebigdog Member Posts: 10
    "Anyone else who owns an element hearing a clicking sound from the driver-side seatbelt area around the left ear??? bugs the crap out of me but don't know if it's worth getting serviced for. "

Yes! I have had the same problem. Strangely enough it is coming from the door hinge. The quick fix is a little bit of lubercant on the metal piece. But if that doesn't work you might need to have it adjusted.
  • no_clutterno_clutter Member Posts: 8
    Mine is an '03 EX and I've had that clicking noise since I bought it. And, yes, it does bug heck out me too. My driver's side seat also make a clicking noise and a little bit of forward/backward movement! That reallly bugs me.
    Up 2.7%, and it does get the seat belts integrated into the seat. That plus the extra 10hp and the 5 speed auto add up to a nice upgrade IMO.

-juice
    From the Honda press release today:

The extremely versatile Honda Element SUV undergoes a transformation for 2007 with freshened styling, 10 more horsepower, new 5-speed automatic transmission (available) and extensive new standard safety equipment that includes side curtain airbags and Vehicle Stability Assist(TM) (VSA(R)).

and also:

In addition to new safety equipment, more than a dozen enhancements have been made to the Element LX and EX, highlighted by new headlight and grille styling, a more powerful 166-horsepower 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine, Drive-by-Wire(TM) throttle control system, new interior color schemes, standard painted exterior body panels (EX only), Maintenance Minder(TM) system, black urethane flooring, new gauge designs and more. As a further enhancement, the addition of seat-integrated front safety belts to all Element models allows for much easier rear passenger loading and unloading.

The biggies: side curtain airbags, and stability control! Yay, finally, now if the backseat ride isn't so harsh, it is definitely back on my list!

In the not too shabby department: seat-integrated front safety belts, 10 extra horsepower (and most importantly, you can get it with a stick shift, I was stuck with an automatic on my former minivan).
    I like the SC's monotone look and that the grille is squarely between the lights, but not the grille itself.

The other models' grille seems to sit just above the lights, which is a bit odd. But I prefer the grille, and the two-tone gives it some added character.

-juice
    I just looked at the pricing. This puppy's getting expensive!
    Factor in the added content, though. 10hp, an extra gear on the tranny, and SAC ain't free.

-juice
    Did you see how they now offset the LX from the EX with the painted panels... Clever on one hand but maybe a bit too obvious... Then again... ??
    I do like the added color of the GALAXY GREY, one has to see this color in bright sun close up, what a cool color this is!!! It caught my eye on a Civic, but I really didn't expect to see it on the Element.
    Mine will be an '07 4WD EX in GALAXY GREY!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a couple of pics of the SC version from the Inside Line story:

...will it be 2WD or 4WD? I don't think they would offer an option and make it an either or for the SC...