Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't know - the article I read tonight didn't say.

Anyone?
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I thought the SC was 2WD only. The other Elements offer both 2WD and AWD.
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    There is some rationale to this since it sits lower and has those 'sausage skin' high speed tires mounted. Not my bag, but then, - so what!
  • tcamstcams Member Posts: 6
    Yes, Element 2WD only...............
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I agree, they do sit low enough that the snow belt folks will probably be better off with the other models.

-juice
    Found this on the interweb...

:sick:

He said he was hit on the driver side, T-boned, and it rolled over on to the passenger side. The passenger compartment held up well, they were sore but otherwise OK. You see the front glass cracked a bit at the A-pillar, and the rear door has an odd kink in it.

They walked away, though. :)

-juice
  • orlando_daveorlando_dave Member Posts: 3
    We just purchased our new 2007 Element Saturday, August 26th in Orlando...We had previously owned a 97 and a 2000 CR-V, but on this vehicle had traded in a 2003 Murano...We thought we'd wait and checkout the 07 CR-Vs' before we made a choice, but the 07 Element was too cool to pass up......

So far we have really enjoyed the Element, I didn't want a 4 speed auto transmission, so that was the reason for not purchasing an 06...Our earlier CR-Vs' had the 4 speed auto and I always thought another gear would have made the performance better on those vehicles...After 150 miles both my wife and I, along with our Lab, love the Element...Now we are waiting to see how the fuel milege works out....

The new seatbelt placement and dash gauge colors are great additions...I really think the 5 speed auto will help also...The ride seems really nice, not as stiff or rough as I thought it would be...Our Murano was an SE which had a stiffer sports type ride, so I don't think the Element was a huge change...Ours is an EX with AWD and the auto transmission, it's exactly the vehicle we were looking for, I guess we lucked into it because not many were in the local dealerships...Also the silver color was the 1st choice for the wife, made my life easier!...

Up to this point, we couldn't be happier (we'll see on the mileage side later), now trying to find a road trip that we need to take.... 8^).......

Dave in Orlando..... :shades:
  • extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    "Also the silver color was the 1st choice for the wife, made my life easier! "

If you don't mind my asking, what is the color of the interior on the silver 07 Element? I'd like to get an 07 in a few months and I'd prefer the black seats because our dogs are black and with the black interior of the truck I might not have to vacuum the inside for the first six or seven years .... just kidding - I will detail it in 2009 ..
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    Hi Orlando_Dave,
    I traded my 2003 Murano in for a 2005 Element; also an EX, AWD, Auto. The Murano was a fine vehicle but, although the Element is more spartan, I love the thing. In the mountains of western NC where I live I got around 19 m.p.g. with the Murano and am getting approx. 22 with the Element. Will be curious to hear what you are getting after break-in.
    It's a gray/black on the seats and of course the black floor...We have a yellow lab and we just open all the doors and the back gate and use the leaf blower to clean out the hair...Works great!!!...

Dave in Orlando......... :blush:
    Hello,
    One of the reasons we did trade-in the Murano was because in just a very few short years we hope to be headed to western NC also!...We thought it would be the perfect "all everything" when we get there...We have been going to the Waynesville-Ashville area for the last 35+ years and hope to ended up there before long...We are up there about 2 or 3 time each year and rent a cabin, last time in Feburary of '06...It snowed and we really missed the CR-V's we'd owned all wheel drive feel...Guess that helped push us over the edge in purchasing the Element...And yes we are hoping the MPG will be a good suprise, we got about 20 or 21 on our Murano when we were driving there over the past 3 years..........

Dave in Orlando............ :shades:
  • nkbhefnernkbhefner Member Posts: 4
    I'm interested in finding out if the Element is family-friendly. We've got one kid now, 13 months, and planning on having a second one in the next year, so two kid seats are going to be in whatever vehicle I'm driving. I'm currently driving a '93 Dodge Grand Caravan (with faux wood panels!) but I'm hoping to buy something newer once I get out of school. The Element is enticing because of the durable interior and because it is not a ding-dong minivan, but I wonder if it will have adequate interior space for 2 car seats plus a 6'4" hubby.
    The 06 and earlier models have the front seat belts anchored in the door. So later on, when the kids can get out on their own, you'll have to undo your seatbelt every time you let them out.

The 07 model moves the seat belt to the front seat, so that may be better.

The reason I bring that up is that your van is now 13 years old. By the time you sell this Element, if you keep it as long, your kids will both be teenagers.

You might find the CR-V more friendly for rear seat passengers.

-juice
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It's funny that many people who need to be driving minivans try to force their lives to fit other vehicles because of the perceived stigma and embarrassment of being seen in a minivan.
    Agreed, but minivans aren't "mini" any more, they've grown quite large. I'd rather parallel park an Element vs. an Odyssey, which feels twice as long (even if it isn't).

Try a Mazda5, maybe, if you want a people mover that is actually compact.

-juice
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    I dont know much about two kids (thank God). I do however know that being 6'5 myself there is plenty of room for me in the Element in the front or back seat. One problem i could see with two children in car seats though is trying to reach back to the seat if the drop something, or to smack them if ya have to HA!
    Just get one of those soda bottles with the C02 cartridge and you can spray them with soda water (and it would be an easy clean-up). ;)

-juice
    It's not the stigma of driving a minivan (driving a Honda Toaster, er, Element, will not make me look cool), it's that I would like a vehicle that's fun to drive as well as functional. If you can show me a minivan that's fun to drive, I'll forget all about the Element. When I test-drove an Element I found it much more spry and maneuverable than the minivans I've driven (I, too, would rather parallel park an Element over an Odyssey), in addition to having a lot more storage space than a CRV or most other small SUVs.

I've would love a Mazda5, but bending over to insert a child into a car is very hard on my back, which I have enough trouble with, and is the reason I stopped driving my Jetta. (*sniff*).

Yes, I'm asking for a lot and I may not be able to get everything I want in a car; just thought the Element might be a good compromise until my kids can walk on their own. After that, I am SO getting a Mazda5.

Maybe I can just get flames painted on the sides of a minivan and act like I'm having fun driving. . . Hmmm. . .
    Oh, yeah. Reaching back to smack, I mean. . . umm . . . discipline my kids isn't a problem- that's one of the interesting physical changes that comes with motherhood. Arms can lengthen, just like Mr. Fantastic. Otherwise, I can't explain how it is that at 5'6" I can insert a pacifier into the mouth of my baby from the drivers seat, but my 6'4" husband cannot.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    You know the Mazda5 is basically a mini minivan? Pretty good floor height.
    Really? I didn't seem very high to me. . . next time I'll take a tape measure. . .
    Maybe they'll grow up to be the Marx Brothers!
    ;)
  • 4runnerrip4runnerrip Member Posts: 24
    Try this: "FINE, YOU KIDS DON'T WANT TO LISTEN - I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK WHERE I'M GOING!" Then cover your eyes with your hands (don't let then now that you're actually peeking between your fingers) and drive with your knees. Always works and freeks them out very quickly.

"No Dad, no!! We'll stop! Just pay attention to where we're going!"

(partial pay-back for the 1st time we crossed paths with another Element and my 8-yr-old son said "Hey Dad, did you see the looser in the Element?")

Always fun.
    Ian
    Yeah, those seats (Mazda5's) are slightly elevated. Don't you have to climb up into an Element, anyway?

-juice
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    "Arms can lengthen, just like Mr. Fantastic. Otherwise, I can't explain how it is that at 5'6" I can insert a pacifier into the mouth of my baby from the drivers seat, but my 6'4" husband cannot." I usually refer to that as another one of the female mysterys of life. HA
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    Friday evening, I went to a landscaping store to buy several bales of pine needles for my yard. I figured that I needed 40 total. I removed the rear seats from our '06 Element. I then spread a huge sheet out over the rear floor.

When I got to the landscaping place for my first trip, I decided to buy 20 bales - I thought 15 would definitely fit, but wasn't sure about 20. The kid that loads pine needles asked how many I had bought. I told him 20. He looked at my Element, and asked if I was going to try to put 20 of them in it (he asked very sarcastically). I replied that I was going to try. We started loading pine needles, and by the time it was over, we had 24 bales in it. He, as well as several on lookers were amazed. I then made a second trip for the remaing bales I needed to make my 40 total.
    After I returned home from my second trip, and got all of them unloaded, I cleaned out the Element. I was surprised - I pulled out the sheet, and vacuumed out the interior. It took only 15 minutes total to clean it out. For someone like myself that can't justify owning a truck for the little bit I would use one for, the Element is perfect.
    Just keep an eye on your payload, 675 lbs isn't much.

I doubt they're that heavy, though, are they?

-juice
    Maybe 15 pounds a bale?? - Pretty light. The way I figure, 24 bales of pine needles still weigh less than 4 adults.
    Lighter than I thought. No concern at all, then.

Wet mulch weighs a lot more, trust me!

-juice
    Pretty quiet on the Element Forum lately. Anyone put a set of Cooper or Michelin tires on their Element? If so, what make and model tires and how happy are you? Actually a-n-y and a-l-l replacement tire suggestions that you're happy with would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    dweiser, I installed 4 Yokohama AVID TRZ tires about 6000 miles ago. Went to a 235/60X16 for a bit more width and slightly shorter height. Difference in speedometer accuracy: 2%.

The TRZ's are very quiet, now can hear the wind around the A-pillars. They are rated for passenger usage, but my E rarely gets off road. Wear is supposed to be 80,000, but they are not typical of the hard rubber that normally comes with a long wear cycle.

They are less forgiving about being out of balance, had a couple trips to the tire store to get them right when I first got them. Was on a long trip this summer with 4 adults, a cargo box on top and loaded in the rear, so inflated tires to 35 front and 38 rear. Gas mileage was in the 25-27 mpg range (a/c on all the time.)

The TRZs handled downpours well are lower than average rolling resistance and quiet on most road surfaces. Went down some back forest roads in the mountains with no problems. Have not driven on snow.

Hope that helps, but so far, I am very happy with my choice.
    speedo off 2% which way?
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    dweiser, speedo shows that I am going faster than actual speed. At 60mph showing, I'm going 58.5. Close enough for me to not think much about it
    Thanks!
    By law all the error has to be on the plus side. 1.5 mph off is really pretty good. These things tended NOT to be linear in error when they were analog gadgets, and the error tended to grow as speed increased. I remember speedo's showing 125 mph, when the actual speed was closer to 110 mph. I would imagine that today's digital dashboards are much more accurate... BTW, all dash instrumentation today is digital, it just happen to be displayed analog in most cases because consumers prefer it that way...
    I'll take a digital read-out speedometer over an analog any day. My Porsche has both. Guess which one I never look at?
  • paulcjohnsonpaulcjohnson Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I own a preowned Element...did not recieve a manual....which is where I am assuming the Radio Code is....IS there a factory default??? IF so does anybody know it?
    Thanks
  • canuck785canuck785 Member Posts: 160
    hello, 1st post here!

I have been liking the element since they came out and i am now thinking about getting one. I was looking into smaller cars, mostly because of gas prices but the more i think about it, the element is what we need!
    we have a 10 yr old and two big Labs that we bring everywhere with us, bet i would appreciate the rubber floor after a day at the beach with those 2 ;)

from what i read, ppl seems to be pretty happy with their element, but lots complain about the suicide doors?!
    my husband had a ford 150 ("the gas hog"!) and that kind of door never bother me.
    i also saw complains about the road noise?
    i drove a wrangler for yrs (with both tops-hard and soft) and let me tell you, this SUV has to be the noisiest of them all!! :)
    since i can handle those 2 "dislikes" about he car, i think that i would like the element a lot!!!

my question is:

for my budget, i think i would go with a 2003 EX AWD.
    is there a lot of difference with a 2004 as per options? correct me if i am wrong but the DX doesn't come with A/C?? (deal breaker for me)
    any comments/advice is welcomed!! :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • cincygilligancincygilligan Member Posts: 3
    When does Honda typically offer purchase finance specials. I've been told between Christmas and New Years is normal, along with normal end of modle year. Any thoughts??
    I took advantage of a special financing plan through Honda back in March. That interest rate was pretty good, but I think I remember seeing an even better rate (special) being offered on the Honda website a few months later (like mid summer maybe).
    Pricing and low finance rates are strictly market situation driven. A hot seller like the new 2007 CR-V, or the Chevy Corvette will not be on sale nor qualify for rock bottom finance rates. In June I was offered a 2005 Element EX, 4WD, auto, for $20,000.-- out-the-door in Orange County Calif. This included all applicable sales taxes and licencing fees. It was the sole leftover orphan from the previous model year. Do not just look at the finanace rate, but focus MORE on the bottomline price that you will need to pay. Here is the real savings. If you compare 3% vs 5% over a 5 year span, the difference is not that significant, but if you can negotiate another $1,500.-- off at the front end of the deal this will pay off all the way down the deal...
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Honda Element
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • 4runnerrip4runnerrip Member Posts: 24
    I have an '06 that I'm thinking about getting rust protected, however I'm wondering if that is wise given all the plastic panels. Not only do plastic panels not rust, but the rust protection can sometimes damage rubber or plastic.

Any thoughts?
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I vote no.
  • dmayersdmayers Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know of seat covers for the rear seat when the are in the "stored up" position? Looking for something to cover them when hauling my dogs around!
  • jlittererjlitterer Member Posts: 39
    Does the factory accessory sunshade/screen for the rear sunroof fit with the glass in place or does the glass have to be removed to utilize the sunshade/screen? I'd like to use something to keep the sun out while the removeable glass section is in place.
    In my opinion, the best way to shield the sun is to get a roll of window tinting at Home Depot - it is sold in the department that has windows and blinds.

Since it is designed for house windows, it is a little wider, and is large enough to use on the Element's sunroof glass. Take some newspaper and make a template of the sunroof glass. Then, transfer the template to the tint film and cut it accordingly. After you have it cut correctly, apply the tint per the instructions for the film. Going this route, you can choose how dark to tint the sunroof by looking at the different shades of tint that are offered. A roll should run you $30 or less.

Hope this helps.