Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

1878889909193»

Comments

• bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Between the cost and the aggravation of changing the color of a vehical you should just buy the 2010 model. Keeping in mind in order to repaint the vehical properly you have to strip the entire interior out to jam the panels (paint the inside of the panels so they match) and take all of the panels off the vehical and rehang them on the vehical which means then will never have a factory fit again. Not worth it at all.
    Has anyone experienced the situation that has caused the recall?
  • greg1954greg1954 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Element and while it was being driven through a flat, level parking lot the drivers- side air bag deployed, no bumps, jolt, nothing, just BOOM. Has this happened to any one else? I had 99,104 miles on the Element when this happened.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Please list the incident on the NHTSA website which also has a search function. Probably just a one in a million malfunction but unless you get it into the system no one can compare notes. Just reporting to the dealer isn't enough, as the whole Toyota fiasco has shown us.
    Now im no expert on Elements at all but I do have a background in auto body repair. This sounds more like one of the wires for the airbag got corroded some how and may have arced with a piece of metal to set it off. Its probably a faulty wire or the wire corroded the way it sounds.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I take my words back. Although not specifically applicable to the Element, the NY Times just had an article saying that reported incidents of sudden acceleration are low, even with the Toyota fiasco, but reported incidents of air bag problems are high - some going off when they shouldn't, some not going off when they should, etc. So airbag problems are not actually that rare.
  • thricipiothricipio Member Posts: 3
    I can't find any info on the Honda site re: a 2011 Element. Not sure what to make of that. Has it been discontinued? Or just absolutely no changes from 2010?

Also, our Edmunds site discusses a standard transmission on the 2010: "Every 2010 Honda Element is equipped with a ... five-speed manual transmission [as] standard.... ¶ EPA estimated fuel economy is ... 18/23/20 for manual-shift AWD models." Yet, I cannot find on the Honda site, any mention of any kind (2WD or AWD) of standard transmission for the 2010 Element.

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks. —Thri
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Per the 2010 CR Buying Guide the automatic is gone.
    So, I'm just trying to verify that you meant to say the automatic is dead. I seek confirmation of your last statement since it directly contradicts the Honda site; i.e., honda.com implies the standard is no longer available. Yet, you say that CR says the automatic is no longer available.

Who to believe? Or did you mean to say "standard" when you typed "automatic?"

Thanks. —Thri
    The ConsumerGuide Automotive review of the 2010 Element states, “The only engine is a 166-horsepower 2.4-liter 4-cylinder that teams with a 5-speed automatic transmission. The manual transmission has been discontinued.” —Thri
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Pardon me, I wrote it backwards, I meant to say the automatic is the only transmission available, the manual is gone. Sorry 'bout that.
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    The 2011 Honda Element is online!

2011 Honda Element
    I am looking for a new air filter. Problem is there are alot of them that show up to 06 Element, but nothing for 07 and on. Is there a differance between airfilter for the 06 and 07??? I wouldnt think there is but id hate to be wrong.
  • fratcedarsfratcedars Member Posts: 1
    I was looking at that too for my 2010 Honda Element. It seems like a common theme that you lose the sub woofer in any installation of aftermarket radio. From what I have experienced, I wouldn't let that stop you from changing out the radio. The sub woofer isn't really a high quality unit and probably should be considered for an upgrade as well as the stereo.
  • vabobkvabobk Member Posts: 1
    Hoping you all can help me out with your opinions on this one. My '03 Odyssey was just totaled in an accident, and after reading reviews on reliability am thinking about getting an Element. Most people seem to love them. The Odyssey, not so much...

Anyway, our local Honda dealer has an '08 SC with 33,000 miles on it that looks good and seems to drive well. But the carfax report lists four different owners for this car, two within several months of each other.

This is the report:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=5J6YH18938L010840&partner=- CDM_U

That many owners in four years makes me a little nervous, but I am not knowledgable enough to know if I have a valid concern. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!

Bob