Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Phaeton

Comments

• peteri44peteri44 Member Posts: 15
    Took my A6 in for service and couln't get a straight answer on an A8 lease. Went down the block to a VW dealer and made what I thought was a great deal. I found a Cairo Gray 5 passenger with cold/tech/upgaded stereo/myrtle wood, a $78K+ car. The dealer had three cars, a white with similar equipment and a base gray. I'm paying the taxes up front (less the tax offset for the A6) and the quote is $699/ 36 months and 15,000 miles a year--no cap cost reduction.

That's at leasr $300/month less than any A8 quote I got and even less than what new A6's are quoted at. I put a deposit down. The dealer said the purchase price is $500 over invoice and he's got a $4500 subsidy from the factory.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Personally...I'd go with the lease; at the end of the day you will have better options, and I might go for the White...VERY unusual to find one...What color is the Leather? PIX???
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    My one week old A6 3.2 with a $53,276 MSRP and NO upfront money (just the first month's payment and a plate fee (to move the plates from my 2003 allroad to my new Audi)) is $669 36 months and 15k miles per year.

I said mine has the 3.2.

For $699/mo and the terms you cited, the Phaeton would be a great deal. There is a white one at the dealership near my house and it is the best looking Phaeton I've ever seen. Even though I am an Audi fan, I also admire the VW's (the Phaeton and upcoming Passat in particular). WOW, if you can get this deal -- take it (of course I assume no matter how much you pay or what state or city you buy it in, that the deal includes 100% free maintenance just like the Audi's, eh?)

You would be at $30 per month more than I am with that SWEEEEEET V8.

Some might argue the Audi is "the better car" -- perhaps it is -- but it isn't that kinda money better, no way.

Good for you. When do you get it? And, are you getting the white one?

This car is "brilliant" in white. And, ditto the "what color is the interior?" question.
  • pji44pji44 Member Posts: 12
    I get the car at the end of this month. I live in a rural area and I have to travel down a 1/4 mile sand and gravel road to get to my property. Needless to say, the night blue pearl A6 is never clean. I can't imagine what the white would look like. I'm going with the Cairo Gray (almost a taupe) with the anthracite interior.

The deal does include scheduled maintenance 4/50 and concierge service (pick up and drop off) for service. I believe the car has about every option offered. I love the new A8/A8L and the 06's with the new nose hit the Chicago area the end of this month. However, I don't love them $300- $450 a month more than the Phaeton, which, although not as athletic, has many more features if you can live without bluetooth and satellite radio.
  • italia233italia233 Member Posts: 7
    Hi guys and gals. I'm new to the forum. I have been actively browsing the forum for about a month or so and have found it quite informative during my research for a new car lease that I will be getting into sometime this month. I went down to my local vw dealer to play some hardball and see what kind of deal I could get on a new phaeton since it seems they have some very enticing deals for a car that is downright beautiful and expensive. Here is the deal I got, 2005 v8 phaeton 4 seater with the 7650 4 seater upgrade package, tech package, 270 watt stereo package, keyless access, and walnut wood. Total purchase price at first was around 80k, When I left the dealership I had a written agreement for $74,766 out the door. $5k down and 795 per month with 12 thousand miles per year. It seems like a good deal to me and I'm seriously considering it but I would like some expert advice since I'm not familiar with vw pricing at all. I'm also looking at the mb e500 or any similiar car with a 600-800 a month payment with 5k or less down on a lease but from what I understand I will not be able to touch a deal like this on any other high end auto in the same caliber as the phaeton which in my eyes is such a beautiful car not to mention I have only seen one in my area and it was a sweet w12. I await all of your wisdom. Have a nice day.
    For what it is worth...The White car will be much more forgiving than the Cairo Grey when it comes to looking clean...Don't know if that matters to you or not, but only because you bring it up...White paint on a car is one of those mysteries of life...looks clean even when dirty...
    My gravel road doesn't kick up the normal "charcoal- colored dust." It's a sandy mixture that almost looks yellow. It absolutely looks horrid on dark blue. I would think either the Cairo Gray or Campanella White would be better. I'll go back over the weekend and give the white one a closer look ( I don't think they're going anywhere). The white one still had the protective white paper over the hood/ trunk lid. I may ask the dealer to see what's in Chicago's inventory re: color combos, although I have no problem with the Cairo Gray.
    Not being critical of Cairo Grey...I love the color...It is just that the
    White is pure low maintenance...
    Come on guys. Anybody got a little help for me. Thanx in advance.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to also post in Lease Questions - Ask Here. Let us know what you find out.

Meanwhile, maybe someone here can offer some thoughts as well.
    My dealer said he has a $4500 subsidy from the manufacturer for the Phaeton. Assuming that's true, the $74766 doesn't sound like that great a discount. Is your $5000 a cap cost reduction or is it for sales taxes?

My dealer quoted $699 month for 36 months and 15K miles, I pay the taxes and no cap cost. It's not a 4 seater but a loaded 5 passenger and a $78,000 sticker. Then again, I haven't taken possession yet so it remains to be done.

In Illinois there's probably less than 10 loaded 5 passengers or 4 seaters around I looked at the E500 and to me it doesn't compare to the VW. Only the A8L is comparable in my book, but not at the premium pricing they're asking.
    The $5k down would have to be for a cap cost reduction because I own a business and a home in montana and since my cars are titled there, there is no sales tax. I think I'm gonna go back in there this work and try to really bust their chops on the price if it is true what you say about the vw subsidy. Or someone else suggested telling them to keep the payment the same but drop off the cap cost reduction. Thanks for all of the great info and advice so far guys. Keep em coming.
    The $4500.00 is for a cash deal only...No two bites from the ole apple...either you take advantage of the sub-vented Lease from Volkswagen Credit, or use another bank and take advantage of the cash...VCI will look really good by comparison...
  • kcmoverkcmover Member Posts: 36
    Please help me out. Today I test drove a used Phaeton that a Dealer purchased at the Auction. the car was very nice. Silver. 18,000 miles. He want's 49,000 Of course I wanted a lot less. But what is the value of a V-8 with that kind of miles.

If I don't buy the used Phaeton Tell me about the leasing opportunities. I drive about 20,000 miles per year and would like to keep a car two years, maybe three years. I always buy. What can I expect the lease structure to be.

Monthly Rate

Additional miles

I don't care where the leasing dealer is located so anybody can take a crack with me.

VW guild was correct. When choosing a Phaeton you get the benefit of $4500 mfg. subsidy (purchase) or an agressive rate (lease). You don't get both. My dealer admitted the error and made the following accommodation: I pay the taxes up front (netted out from the turn in of the A6). I have 48 months/ 18,000 miles a year at $775/ month. This is for the 05 Cairo Gray with a $78,040 sticker. For comparison, my quote, admittedly without haggling, on a 2006 A8 SWB and a $77,900 sticker was 48 months, 15,000 miles and $1365 a month.That's like $27,000 more over the lease term for the same MSRP. Not much of a decision.
    This is a no brainer. The Phaeton, I am certain will be a wonderful automobile and made all the better by the $27,000 savings.

You will love the 4.2 engine.

I love my new Audi A6 3.2 -- your deal, I think, even beats the deal I got.

Congrats!
    One weekend behind the wheel. Drives like a vault. Similar in character to my 2002 A8L but steering is a bit lighter. Outstanding fit and finish.
    Favorite features:
    Inerior lighting at night
    sound system
    level of detailed data available
    seats
    drawbacks- Phone prep for a phone that's not available in the US.

Love the lines and color--Cairo Gray.
    Congratulations!!! And Welcome to the PHAETON Family...Enjoy & Carpe Diem!!!
    VW Guild..thanks. I really love the car based on my first 4 days of ownership. I called the Phaeton Customer Care line (877)742-3866 and asked about the phone set up. They were very helpful and said the car with this option was built for 3 NOKIA phones, models 6360, 6340i and 6310i. All are discontinued. The customer rep told me they are actively and currently looking for a replacement option for those of us with this issue. The intent is hands free operation and display through the infotainment center. She said bluetooth technology would be available on the 06, but she was unsure about a retrofit to a 2005 model.

We'll see if and when I get return. I know that were discussions about the phone months ago. She also said that Cairo Gray was an extremely rare color. I guess that make a rare sight even rarer.
    I would NOT count on retrofit for Bluetooth -- but I have been wrong before.
    No surprises. Solid feel, balanced ride, anticipated poor MPG. I drive fairly aggressively and the car has responded. It doesn't have snapping acceleration but rather constantly building speed. I find the steering good yet the brake feel could be a little more resistant.

Haven't had the time to figure out how to use everything yet. Everyone who's been in it loves it--especially at night. Called Phaeton Customer care about the phone package (on 7/22). They said they were aware of the lack of an integrated phone solution and would get back to me within a week. Received a call back on 7/29 indicating a probable solution this week. They said they would call again.

I have no regrets with this selection. It is beautifully crafted, engineered beyond belief and if it remains reliable will easily be the best vehicle I have ever had.
  • paldipaldi Member Posts: 210
    I'm at 3,000 on one I bought with 10,000 mi used. I'm tickled every time I drive - especially when it's clean.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    What's not to like?
    (Stock photo - mine is Kristall Grey.)
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    well, i posted 18 months ago or more that phaeton would be replaced , by another car in the vw stable , in the new dresden factory.
    i just read that
    there are no plans to continue with phaeton production and that bentley will be replacing it in dresden.

i would have tried to change the character of the phaeton ,make it more of a drivers car and less of a cruiser , but i guess at over $ 160.0 per car for the bentley they may make more money here . but economy of scale may offset this ?

they were not getting economy of scale in the phaeton either . but ,i think that if they had made it more of a drivers car,get rid of some weight and many of the computer stuff ,in essence ,make it into a vw and not a hi priced technological fantasy , and a better driver , it could have had a better future.

now that bmw and mb are going the full computer way , a decent straightforward car with accurate input / reaction ,i.e. no computer stuff, at a good price ,could have a chance against them. and the phaeton could have been such a car.

the only drawback is their dealer network in the usa . and vw mgt. may have seen this in their crystal ball
  • phaetaccompliphaetaccompli Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, I am new owner and new to the forum. I found a 2004 Phaeton V8 that I bought this weekend through a wholesaler that they got directly from VW corporate. It had 61 miles on it and was never titled. It still had all of the plastic protective wrap on the inside and outside of the car. It stickered at $75K - I bought it for $52K. I saw the toll free Phaeton number in the postings and made an appointment at the nearest dealer for this weekend to have an oil change done (figured it won't hurt since it's been sitting around).

The only thing missing were the navigation disks so I just ordered them from NavTeq (rec'd info from the toll free Phaeton line) for $200. VW said that there were 1-2 iterations from the first set anyway so now I will have these.

The VW person I talked to on the phone was able to schedule my appointment for me right over the phone which was welcome since I had tried to call the dealer directly twice but sat on hold for 5 minutes each time before I hung up.

I hope to pick up some good info on this forum. Are there any MAJOR service bulletins I need to know about for the '04s?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome - very cool member name! ;)

Be sure to look back through the previous postings here. I'm sure the participants here will be able to answer your questions.

Congrats on your new ride!
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Sounds like you got a great deal on an excellent car. Good luck and enjoy!!!
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I've been watching the board for almost 2 years when I bought my Lexus LS. I saw a Phaeton in my future, but was waiting for it's technology to catch up. Bluetooth, back up camera, XM, laser cruise and better nav are a must on my list. I never saw the Phaeton as high tech. I just saw it as refined and beautiful -and a bargain.

I'm sorry, but not suprised VW is killing it. The Bentley is not a replacement. I won't spend Bentley bucks and don't want the image that comes with it.
    URL please. :confuse:
    The Glass Factory is running at about 90% capacity building PHAETONs equipped with the V6 TDI...apparently cannot build them fast enough...
    The US market has two "Job One" goals...Jetta V & B6 Passat.

The options that you mention here will, no doubt, find their way into the refreshed 2007 PHAETON...All are currently being incorporated into all carlines. Bluetooth,
    XM & Sirius, Adaptive Head lights & Cruise, DVD NAV, Back up Camera for the Touareg...
    I hope it survives. 2000 miles into my experience and it's been outstanding.

For those with the $299 phone prep option, Phaeton Customer Relations called me last night (their 4th call to me in a month) and indicated they've made a deal with Nokia to purchase all Phaeton-compatible equipment and hoped to take possession by the end of this week.

Don't know what that means or how they will charge/distribute/install, but it appears they are working at it.

No regrets about the purchase. I sincerely hope they keep producing such an excellent vehicle.
    Wonderful that we can meet and greet each other on the various internet Phaeton Forums, if not in person. Where are you from? I'm in Malvern, PA... Luna Blue V8 2004 Phaeton w/ kristall gray interior - all options in place and adding mods.
  • phaetaccompliphaetaccompli Member Posts: 4
    I am currently living in North Central NJ but am very familiar with the Main Line area. I use to live near Valley Forge. What mods are you working on? The forum was very accurate as I contemplated the purchase...great car with a few inadequacies (light-ish steering, horrible Nav, etc) but I could not pass up the great deal. I have had a constant Low Tire Pressure warning from day one but saw through AllData that there was a Service Bulletin about that so I hope to have that cleared up (with any other computer mods that have been issued) when I take in for oil change this weekend.

Has anyone found good looking winter mats for the vehicle?
    I purchased very heavy rubber "monster mats" from my VW dealer. They are original equipment with PHAETON markings. They cost me $101 for front and rear.
  • bobm1bobm1 Member Posts: 26
    Hello to all.

It is that time again for the So. Cal Phaeton owners quarterly GTG. This will be our second meeting and it looks to be a great one.

We have scheduled Saturday, August 27th, 7:45 AM at Crystal Cove, Newport Coast as our next GTG location.

For those not familiar with the area this location is on Pacific Coast Hwy just south of Newport Beach and just north of Laguna Beach.

This will be a great way to enjoy the best luxury car in the world (for under a $150K), while meeting other Phaeton owners. Of course having the beautiful Pacific Ocean as our back drop can't hurt either.

The following itinerary is planned:

7:45 a.m.: Arrival.

8 - 8:30: Check out the exotics and hot rods that gather each Saturday from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.(the center asks them to depart by 9 or so to open the parking lot to patrons).

8:30 - 10 a.m.: Breakfast meeting at Pacific Whey restaurant in the center. Review Pebble Beach, discuss issues and concerns, and formulate a realistic game plan for our little group.

10 a.m - 11 a.m.: Demonstration from Meguiar's Wax on car care.

11 a.m.: Wrap up and departure.

This GTG is open to all Phaeton owners and those who might be interested in purchasing one or who just want to be around great people.

Hope to see you there.
  • ukguy1ukguy1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all and thanks for allowing me to post on your forum.

I take delivery of a Silver 3.0TDi V6 Phaeton next Thursday 1st September - this is a model I guess would not be offered in the USA - its capable of returning 30+ miles to the (UK) gallon - not a small consideration given that fuel here is approaching $7.00 a gallon. Having driven the Bentley that the Phaeton is derived from the fit and finish is identical - of course with the diesel engine it still has power and refinement. My decision to purchase was based on a soundly engineered product at a bargain basement price ( £30k )plus unlike a Merc or BMW the Phaeton will not induce the kind of other driver behavior reserved for these marques.I own a Porsche Gt3 as my plaything but I'm really excited about owning a Phaeton.
  • culverwoodculverwood Member Posts: 4
    Hi from another new UK owner.

ukguy1 did you really get a new Phaeton for £30K I paid the £36995 for mine and thought I had got a good deal. Like you I pick it up on the 1st September Tarantella Black 3.0TDi V6. At these prices I would not be surprised to see a few more about.
  • msdavismsdavis Member Posts: 11
    Could anyone please help me. My father is looking for a new luxuary car. I know that the phaeton is an amazing car in all senses. It is hard to persuade one on such a big purchase. I am looking for any information on lease pricing. I have heard of amazing deals. One dealer in the sf bayarea is listing a 48 month 40,000 mile lease for 499 + tax. Only 2500 drive off. I will use the lease guru on edmunds for residual and moneyfactor help. But what is considered a good price for the car. I have heard many stories about you can;t use dealer cash with the special lease. My friend got one last year in november for the special lease terms and it was a 70500 car and paid 59999 to start plus amazing lease financing. Can anyone please help me and put me in the right direction.

Thanks
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    Why would this not be offered stateside? Emissions? Or do they figure it would not sell since diesel fuel isn't as easy to find here?
    Diesel fuel is easy to find in Cincinnati -- it is, however, at this moment, too dirty.

This should be rectified within a year.

I would think, at this point, the logical alternative fuel would be diesel and the logical high performance with decent economy power would be TDI.

I was so fortunate to spend two days with an Audi A4 2.5TDI a couple of years back -- 6spd manual and all the upgrades in lux one could want.

At the time, the alternative was the 3.0 gasoline version.

I did not get to drive them back to back, but the TDI was very powerful and MORE spirited than the V6 gas engine.

The torque and mileage are the diesel's reason to be considered the next high performance, economy alternative.

Hopefully this will come to the US soon.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ... ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD) whereas we here in the US do not get this. The trucking industry scuttled a proposal in the Clinton era to introduce this fuel here because it adds approx 5 cents per gallon more to refine. Now I think the deadline is sometime in 2007 for this introduction, but I am not sure.

Most current european disels are of a common rail direct injection design that operates at 25 to 35 thousand PSI (not a typo). These precision components require the ULSD to operate reliably.

The second issue is particulate emissions (soot). There are experimental urea/water filters but California rules require any emissions control equipment to work reliably for 100k miles or thereabouts, and most manufacturers presently are having problems meeting this goal.
  • ukguy1ukguy1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there - yes I really concluded a deal at £30k with a little help from VW Uk because the dealer in questions didn't initially seem interested in selling me one.
    As it happens VW Uk have released number of units into the dealer network discounted into the dealer at 29%.
    Im having lunch today with my Chairman who is interested in having one - watch this space for another new owner.

Did you take up the all inclusive maint package?
  • dominkdomink Member Posts: 1
    Your offers in the Bay Area are better than Seattle. Who is the Bay Area dealer with that offer? :)
  • culverwoodculverwood Member Posts: 4
    Mine was a build to order car and I went over to Dresden to see it being assembled. Very impressive. I did check out the maintenance package.
    If there are many more at £30k I don't think they will be sitting around for long.
  • phaetonphilephaetonphile Member Posts: 1
    VW makes winter floor mats for the Phaeton. They are difficult to locate, and most dealerships won't offer to track them down. The Phaeton customer care folks should be able to put you in touch with the nearest dealership that carries them. I haven't found any aftermarket floor mats; the VW mats weren't terribly attractive, but they did the job when the snow was out.
    Here's my link. Phaeton Photos
    Just turned 15,000 miles. :)
    We had a great turnout at our 2nd Southern California Phaeton Gathering this weekend in Orange County. A total of 9 Phaetons were present (8 in this picture):

A couple from San Diego made the trek north. We had a great time. We're planning the next one in November. Out of the 9 we had one black W12 show up. The first 5 people that showed up all has silver phaetons. We ended up with 3 black sheeps and 1 coucou gray (with modified grill).
    Here's a bigger one:
  • msdavismsdavis Member Posts: 11
    The dealer was dublin Vw. In Dublin california. I took the 2 week old ad to them and wanted to buy the car. They told me the ad had expired and so had the lease program. It was published the 2nd week in august. So I went shopping to other dealers and the best I could turn up was a 77,500 car for 36 months and 45,000 miles for 969 tax inclusive with 2500 total drive off. I am going to keep shopping or wait untill vw puts some incentive money or lease cash on this model as a friend of mine got one in november 2004 and it has 2100 less worth of options and he put down 2800 and paid 662 tax inclusive 36 months 45,000 miles.
  • cwerfelcwerfel Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, Chris here. I am pleased to announce that after many years of Phaeton envy I am finally the proud, new owner of a gently used 2004 Phaeton in Papillon Silver Heliochrom. I have two questions:

1) headlights in the rear window appear stretched out - like viewing light through a prism. Anyone else seen this and/or is this a warranty issue?

2) I am looking for a recommendation for hooking up XM and an IPod to the premium sound system. Anyone know of working cable kits or is this a splice job?

Thanks, in advance for any insights.