Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Phaeton

Comments

• Options
    bobschneiderbobschneider Member Posts: 2
    Yes, there is an input adaptor from PIE, that taps in between the CD changer and head unit, and gives 3 aux inputs.

Search on the VWVortex.com Phaeton board for more info
  • Options
    bobm1bobm1 Member Posts: 26
    Yes it's very sad indeed that they stopped selling them in the US. My 2004 Phaeton lease was coming due and I was so dissapointed with the other offerings out there that I searched the country for one of the remaining new 06's and leased one in Chicago and had it shipped to me. I did this in October and there were only 13 left. This is by far the best car in it's class IMHO. I did a big explanation in the biggest Phaeton forum which I can't mention to to rules here. Suffice it to say that I'm now on my 2nd Phaeton with no regrets!
  • Options
    222222222222 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an almost new 2004 V8 Phaeton and I would like to find a custom or replacement grille with no emblem. Can anyone out there make a recommendation?
  • Options
    bgandlgbgandlg Member Posts: 2
    Decisions, decisions

My local VW dealership has several 2005 Phaetons for sale from $44Kto $47K. All fully loaded and with mileage as low as 5k to 15K.

Since I’ve have never owned a VW and the fact that the Phaeton was not a big hit, I was hoping to get some feed back from anyone on the price and quality of this car.

Any comments and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I would suggest you get an online subscription to Consumer Reports - I'd bet that you could find their 2005 reviews that way. You could also use the Edmunds website and Kelley's Blue Book (KBB) for that, too.

I have a 2001.5 Passat that was great - solidly built; only had 1 significant problem, and it was coverred by the warranty. Can't speak to the Phaeton, but I remember reading reviews - reviewers unanimously-agreed that it was a fantastic car.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You'll find an owner who is very pleased with his if you page back a little. It wouldn't be a bad idea to look through as much of this discussion as you can. IIRC, pretty much the only criticism has been that it was not marketed correctly in order to sell well.
  • Options
    bgandlgbgandlg Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if there's a Phaeton Owner's Club in the LA/Orange County area?
  • Options
    ablenavablenav Member Posts: 19
    I just got a Phaeton and live in Orange Country. Should we start one? Maybe two Phaeton's in the same parking lot is a start!
  • Options
    I am a proud new owner of a Phaeton.
    Will you be having another meeting soon?
    Please keep me posted.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Fred - You are a great car designer on photoshop.
    We have the same color combination.
    Thanks for the possibilities.
    Alan
  • Options
    mkoltonukmkoltonuk Member Posts: 2
    Hi!

I am interested in purchasing a 2004 Phaeton. CAn you provide info regarding reliability, trouble issues, etc. ?? Any info would be appreciated. I have heard that the VW dealerships have difficulty servicing the Phaeton, although this may be inaccurate.

Thanks!

Mike
  • Options
    I have had a 2004 Phaeton since Memorial Day 2007 and driven about 4K miles. Based on my experience and my dealership (Capo VW in San Juan Capistrano, CA), I have found the car great to drive, reliable, and just a little longer than normal to get parts. With only 830 Phaeton's in the US, you should expect some parts delays. Since my dealer has a number of Phaeton's to service, no real issues there so far. One nice thing about having a Phaeton, is that most of the service reps and techs want one, and seem to enjoy going the extra mile to take of them. If you have a choice, I would add the parking sensor package which did not come with my car. And plan on finding a special glass for the cup holders or cup since they are both shallow.
    If I can help in any other way, Mike, feel free to post or email again. Good luck on your decision either way. Alan
  • Options
    mkoltonukmkoltonuk Member Posts: 2
    Alan:

I appreciate the time you took to reply. I just took a ride today in an 04 Phaeton. It's an understatment to say it's a true marvel. There is a qualified VW and Audi dealer in my area (Pennsylvania). I was told it's serviced similar to that of the Audi A8. I hope to make a decison soon.

Thaks Alan!

Mike
  • Options
    paldipaldi Member Posts: 210
    Great car! Hope you bought it. I'm also in PA.

(My '04 with a ">mesh grill - now has the stock one back on.)
  • Options
    mmorrowmmorrow Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Phaeton and it is a great car.Recently I had a headlight go out and the dealer repaired it. Since then about 10:30 pm every night my tail lights come on and to get them out I have to start the car or go for a ride. I have had it back twice and the dealer says they cannot find the problem and that no trouble codes are logged in the cars computer. It is beginning to get on my nerves. I have had two neighbors knock on my door now to tell me the lights are on. Just the tail lights. Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated. THANKS,MACK
  • Options
    wab3txwab3tx Member Posts: 5
    from our experience with our '04 Phaeton, it is not a car ... it is a computer with 4 wheels ... my wife and I love the car BUT it is very, very temperamental electronically ... we bought ours as a VW Certified Pre-owned, so it is still under warranty for a few more thousand miles, which I like because it constantly has little electronic gremlins which are annoying. The dealer continues to fix them, sometimes 2 and 3 times already. You might try another dealer but they probably use the same VW diagnostic systems and will probably not find an error code. Our trunk latch has needed repair 3 times and the VW computer did not find an error code for it until the 3rd time, it is now non-functional again ... 4th time. Bill B, Houston
  • Options
    Hi ... we are new to this forum ... so hello to all ... we have a 2004 Phaeton W12 .... looking for a Phaeton Owners' Club or others online to communicate with ... any comments from anyone? We live in Houston. Bill B
  • Options
    jb5117jb5117 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys just got a 04 phaeton in my opinion some of volkswagens best work, but what's the problem. Having issues such as passenger front window malfunction noisy windshield wipers, replaced blades still noisy also gas tank release sticks will not open. The question is what's the problem. Let me know what's going on with your phaeton. Maybe we can find a solution.
  • Options
    markhalpernmarkhalpern Member Posts: 11
    Colleagues,

I'm a new owner of a 2004 Phaeton, eager to trade information with other owners. Is there an Owners Club? And can anyone give me any advice about fixing a temperamental Tire Pressure Monitor System; mine gives me frequent false reports of a flat tire, and the dealer -- VW of Oakland -- has failed in three attempts to fix it.

Mark
  • Options
    wimpy4wimpy4 Member Posts: 14
    Mark, I'm in San Diego and have had my 2004 for twenty months. Great car and I too have started looking for an owner's club. I also had a problem with the tire sensors early on which was fixed in Santa Monica and hasn't been a problem until last month. First try in San Diego to fix didn't take. I think I would try another certified tech - I may go back to Santa Monica. Good Luck! Joe
  • Options
    Joe,

Thanks for the reply. Any idea what your tech in Santa Monica did to fix the problem, even temporarily? If you return to him to have it fixed again, please get him to explain what he's doing, and publish the results here.

And why don't we use this forum to see how many Phaeton owners might want to join an owners club -- start collecting names, and see if there are enough of us to make a quorum?

Mark
  • Options
    bobbusbkrbobbusbkr Member Posts: 4
    Hello all, I'm trying to locate Phaeton Owners in MA, NH & ME to join or start a club. I purchased my 2004 Phaeton V8 in August of 2007. I traveled from Boston to Wisconsin to purchase it just coming off lease with 19,100 mi. It was like new & remains so. I couldn't be happier with a vehicle. ZERO problems and when taken to Wellesley, MA VW for maintenance they treat me like royalty! I had the car certified by VW and bought the 100K mi extended warranty. The whole package cost $40,000. This is definitely the best automotive deal I've had in 46 years of driving. I'm in the process of adding an OEM backup camera that will play through my Nav System. I'll report on it after the install.
  • Options
    Welcome to the club and let us know about the OEM backup camera as I have interest to it add it as well. And does anyone have experience with adding the automatic trunk and upgraded sound system? Thank in advance.
  • Options
    wimpy4wimpy4 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Mark, I couldn't get away to Santa Monica so took it back in to San Diego. Dash was showing Tire pressure, Flat tire and Spare tire at various times. Turned out to be low pressure in the spare. There were no faults stored in the system. So, for what that is worth. I will let you know how this holds up. Joe
  • Options
    seanrandolphseanrandolph Member Posts: 1
    whats the warranty on a phaeton for both items listed
  • Options
    darylkhdarylkh Member Posts: 1
    where can I purchase a mesh grille for the phaeton?
  • Options
    tedstocktedstock Member Posts: 2
    well I just bought a 2005 and am looking for other owners too.....
  • Options
    tedstocktedstock Member Posts: 2
    well I just bought a 2005 and am looking for other owners too..... in the New England area
  • Options
    Colleages,

My 2004 Phaeton's TPMS is still not fixed, even after attention from a VW-certified Phaeton Technician. In view of the difficulty so many of us have had with this system, I suspect that it has some inherent design and/or manufacturing defect. I'd like to hear reports from all of you who have had difficulties with your own car's TPMS. To avoid the limitations of message length and typography and so on that we have to observe when communicating with each other via this forum, I suggest that you write to me directly at solomons1pal@aol.com. I'll save all reports I get, and post the consolidated results here.

And I'm very eager to hear of fellow Phaeton owners in Northern California, and in the San Francisco Bay Area particularly.

Mark Halpern
  • Options
    Mark,
    The TPMS is frustrating indeed. One inherent fault is that you can't change or adjust the tire pressure you want first or next, and then the tires. My fix is to run the tire pressure front at 47 to 49 and rear at 50. Overtime the pressure drops and the system adapts. Running these pressures works to keep the road noise lower from the front, and is consistent with my learning about the idea from Skip Barbara racing school. The max tire pressure is 50 so not to worry. And doing this trick, means fewer faults with the TPMS.
  • Options
    Does anyone have experience with your Phaeton not starting? My dealer just installed a new battery and checked the system. The accessory battery will not start the car alone and often does not turn on itself. I have no problems with the fuel pump fuses as suggested by the owners manual.

In a nutshell, the car does not like the heat and on average fails to start every 11 times. Any thoughts or advice would be most welcomed.
  • Options
    Did you get a solution to your electrical problem and car not starting even when jumped? My 2004 will not start even with a complete system check and a new battery. I would appreciate any help.
  • Options
    w12vww12vw Member Posts: 3
    We have owned our 2004 W12 Premiere edition for over three years. Great car except fot the TPMS system which has been a continuing problem since the first week we owned the car.
    Warranty runs out very soon and am afraid that the 'solution' may come after VW no longer has to pay for the repair.
    Any suggestions?
    Have tried all types of pressure variation, Nitrogen, new tires, sensors etc.--all to no avail.
  • Options
    My story is much the same: I bought a 2004 Phaeton in March, and have had trouble with the TPMS ever since; tried two different dealers, neither could fix it. Clearly there's a fundamental flaw in the design or manufacture of the system, and VW should fix it for all of us. But they're not going to do anything unless we force them to, and the only way to do that is to join forces and present them with a group complaint they can't ignore. I invite all Phaeton owners having this problem to indicate that they're ready to do that; if enough of you do so, we can arrange the formation of an owner's group.
  • Options
    You may have tried this idea but for the past year my TPMS has worked by using 49 lbs in all five tires. This pressure is within the tires limits and I have found makes less road noise. The effect of this tactic is that the TPMS doesn't have to work hard as the pressures lower each month and manage the 7lb gap between the front and back. I went to Skip Barbara racing school three times and they recommended doing on our old BMW M6 and it worked great. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I would support the idea of an owners club and then we will have more influence over the preservation of a great car.
  • Options
    Yes, I believe that a group composed of those off us who own these great cars could possible influence VWofA to give more support.
    As we all know, they seem to have sent all the support to the almost identical Bentley W12 cars. [ No wonder, as the price is so much more for essentially the same car].
  • Options
    To: all Phaeton owners, particularly those with TPMS problems

Clearly there are a number of us with Tire Pressure Monitoring System problems, so many that it's obvious that there's a basic problem with the design and/or manufacture of that system. If we formed an Owner's Club, we'd have much more chance of getting VW of America to recognize it as their problem, and do something about it. I offer to serve as secretary while the club is being formed; if interested, send me basic information about yourself, the Phaeton you own, and your experience with the TPMS (and other problems, if you like). I will collect and organize that information, and reply to each of you. Please send me your information at markhalpern@iname.com.

Mark Halpern
  • Options
    rlauschrlausch Member Posts: 3
    COUNT ME IN =TPMS

RUDY LAUSCH
  • Options
    JUST BOUGHT A 2005 PHAETON, AND AM TOTALLY DISAPPONTED IN THE RIDE AND ROAD NOISE ANY SUGGESTIONS.

RUDY LAUSCH
  • Options
    mtmsimplemtmsimple Member Posts: 7
    I just fixed my TPMS from Belle Tire with Orange OE sensor, the price is fair and it much cheaper than Original. But i'm still running it since last weekend, will tell everyone the condition later.
  • Options
    TPMS is the only real problem with my 2004 W12.
  • Options
    I've written to VW of America about wanting to start a Phaeton Owners' Club, and asking for their help. I'll keep after them, and will keep you all informed.

The work done on my car when we met last Sunday did some good -- the false messages are now intermittent rather than constant -- but clearly the problem isn't really solved.

I think we're not likely to see a complete solution until we can get VW of America to face the fact that the TPMS is faulty in design or manufacture, and gets the parent company to put some engineers on it. Forming an Owners' Club is a necessary first step, I think, since we have very little influence on the company as individual owners. A few of you who seemed to be interested in forming such a club have not responded to my last posting here; please let me know one way or the other.

Mark Halpern
  • Options
    Mark, thank you for taking the lead. I remain committed to an owner's club. I think your efforts at getting VW behind the club are important. Clearly, we need a list of current Phaeton Owners.

I had a situation develop where my spare tire was flat. The TPMS reported it, then proceeded to lock out the center display and constantly display the flat tire warning. It also prevented the vehicle raising and lowering functions from working and displayed "out of balance" warnings. I fixed the flat spare tire and all returned to normal.....Hmmmm.

Bob Lucido
  • Options
    dieselfitter1dieselfitter1 Member Posts: 42
    I was motoring around in my '09 SportWagen TDI and spotted a VW Phaeton just as the owner was exiting to go into McDonalds.

His Phaeton has 70,000kms on it(45,000miles). It was a V-8 and I think he said it was an '05. This model cost $100,000 CDN New. He paid $20,000 for it a few months ago!!!!! Seems that resale value is very low on these models,I think......... :D
  • Options
    Hi Diesel,

I traveled to Wisconsin from Boston in August 2007 to purchase my 2004 Phaeton. It had 19,100 miles. It was VW certified and I purchased the 100,000 Mi. & 5 Yr. Road Hazard warranties. The whole deal with MA Sales Tax cost $40,000.

Fortunately for me, I plan to drive this magnificent vehicle for at least 5 more years so resale value is the least of my worries. I believe the Phaeton is one of the best previously owned automobile buys ever! The only reason I'd change my Phaeton is to trade it on a W12!

GRNDPA
    Boston, MA :)
  • Options
    carrotoppcarrotopp Member Posts: 1
    I need to change the oil in my 2005 Bentley CGT and another user suggested posting here as it has the same engine as the Phaeton. Anybody out there that can help?
  • Options
    IN CASE ANY OF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE FILM ON HOW OUR PHAETOPN'S WERE MADE I AM SENDING YOU THE SITE. ITS AMAZING.

http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd5WGLWNIIA
  • Options
    psychoanniepsychoannie Member Posts: 2
    ok, some warnings here: we all have seen icons showing our tire pressure monitoring system is at "fault" or a defective wheel on board icon will pop up--and your place of service will tell you they just had to "reset" the fault. or that the spare tire is flat--no problem. Well, it is a HUGE problem. AUDI's and VW's (and I am on my 4th) have major electrical issues--this is one. Your icons with the pressure will eventually (usually right after your certification or insurance runs out) indicate a total monitoring system fault to the tune of a minimum of $1,000. (without labor)
    My phaeton has 40,250 miles (04) was insured to its 8th cylinder and so far I have spent over $6,000 on repairs in the past year. That even includes a new windshield which had a defective seal letting water gush in during rains ($1200)--VW will not stand behind anything short of a major fire (had that too). My advice--NEVER, EVER drive or buy a Phaeton without insurance,,,,and a good attorney. And yes, th eonly re-sale value of consequence is finding someone who REALLY wants a phaeton; otherwise, we are talking about $14-17,000 for a car initially costing $60K+. Beware of those icons--they are NOT meaningless!! Beware of the car's certification-IT IS MEANINGLESS, and be mindful of which VW dealer services your car; they can either be your best advocate or your worst enemy. I have had both. :mad:
  • Options
    Hello psychoannie and everyone else who is tired of their Phaeton sitting in the garage ! .... I am assuming that name is from owning your Phaeton .... ?
    ... to the point, we bought our pre-owned 2004 Phaeton W12 from a certified VW dealer in FL, it was the dealership's owner's personal care, I did a lot of research and figured this was the best way to go. I had my first electronic/electrical problem within 1.5 hours of leaving the dealership on my way back to Houston. Since then it has been constant. The Phaeton had a 5 yr / 50k warranty through 4 April 2009, I was having so many electronic problems that we held back driving it to make the mileage last as long as the 5 year warranty. It is now 7 August 2009, 4 months after the warranty expired. The car has 51,142 miles on it and is basically undriveable unless I take her in to the dealer monthly to have the system "reset". IF it is not driven daily, then the computer system starts turning "systems" off. At the present time, it will actually turn itself off while I am driving down the road, unbelieveably dangerous. Most of the time it simply turns itself off at a stoplight, it "waits" 3 - 4 minutes then decides to let us proceed on. We have driven it less than 1,200 miles since March 2009, about 210 miles per month, that is NOTHING in Houston, Texas.
    We bought our 2004 Phaeton in Dec 2006, it had 17,400 miles on it.
    My partial list of problems with our 2004 Phaeton W12 is below, ALL maintenance and / or repairs have been done at a Certified VW dealer:
    - trunk will not open with remote, 'repaired and/or replaced' components - 4 times
    - system fault reset, at least 4 times
    - turns itself off, 3 times, not including present situation, which makes 4 times.
    - alarm does not work, including now ... third time.
    - transmission fluid pan drips, has been 'repaired' twice, is leaking again now for third time
    - rear engine seal leaks, has been 'repaired' twice, is leaking again now for the third time
    - rear battery has been replaced twice, will not hold charge now, needs to be replaced again now ... third time
    - the car MUST be driven at a minimum every other day, for at least 20 miles, otherwise it starts turning off electronic systems in the car
    - 'flat tire' light is consistently coming on, the valve antennas have been replaced once. I got it to go off now, by over inflating the tires.
    Our Phaeton has been IN the VW shop for at least 3.5 months of the 32 months that we have owned her, two of the times were for a month each time.
    Because VW sold so few here in the USA, they do not have technicians (mechanics) who are capable of working on the Phaeton, especially now that they have not been sold here for several years.
    When it decides that it wants to go, it is a GREAT car, we love it, but most of the time it doesn't want to go, she is a lot like a cat, when she wants to be stroked, GREAT, when she doesn't want to be stroked ..... LOOK OUT!

I am currently speaking with an attorney who specializes in vehicle lemon law, anybody else want to join us and put together a lawsuit to get some satisfaction?