Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Vans: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• ozorahozorah Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Astro van's back door handle is broken and I can not open the door. This van does not have a door handle on the inside of the van. Does anyone know how I can find the latch on the inside of the van so I can open and fix the door handle?
    Thanks
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    You have to go inside the van and remove the screws holding the inside panel on the door. then you can get inside the door to open the latch.
  • durhamajaxdurhamajax Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Venture. This week the front left turn signal stopped working. The hint was the faster blinking sound when I use the left turn signal. The problem is I cannot get at the bulb to replace it. Note: this is the signal bulb visible from the front, the adjacent side turn bulb works fine). The manual says to take out one "thumbscrew" that connects the turn signal assembly to the headlight assembly & then pull out the signal light "away from the vehicle". Well I got the thumbscrew out, but I could not pull out the signal assembly. It looks like 2 clips are holding it in place but am I missing something? Also the bulb filament sort of looks OK thru the glass but is it even a bulb problem? I'm only assuming the bulb needs replacing because of the faster blinking. Also the light could be similar to Pontiac Montana & Olds Silhouette so please give me some ideas!
  • grandnoniepoograndnoniepoo Member Posts: 1
    can you tell me where the sensor is? My dash lights are on during the day,but off at night or when its cloudy. Any help very much appreciated! grandnoniepoo
  • vanman15vanman15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Venture Warner Brothers. The sliding doors creak and squawk in such a way that it literally sounds like an old hay wagon when going down the road 1 - 40 mph. Has anybody experienced this and have a solution? Dealer 'cannot duplicate' the problem. Please advise.
  • amazingamazing Member Posts: 2
    Your problem is definitely the bulb. We have had to replace our turn bulbs several times on each side, they're weak. The bulb may not look burnt out ie. filament still in place, but it is burnt out. The head lights are a pain to get out of the vehicle and even more of a pain to put back in. My suggestion if you are still having problems getting to the bulb is to buy a replacement and take the van to any mechanic. They should be able to change them out quickly and probably for little or no charge.
  • amazingamazing Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention that it is much easier to get to the blinker bulb if you remove both the headlight housing and the side blinker housing at the same time. I think there are a total of three thumb screws to get the whole mess out. The tough part really comes when you go to put the two housings back in together. Good luck.
  • rgupta3rgupta3 Member Posts: 1
    Guys,

I have been having the same exact issue for the past couple of weeks. I have '98 Venture. I don't want to add to the confusion, but it seems that if I have the rear AC running, all blower seem to work better. I have also noticed that it I change the blower to blow on feet and then change it back to face, it seem to work better. I don't know what that means, but thought it might help.

I had taken the Van to the dealership for a diagnose. They told me that Discharge Suction Hose was leaking an needed to be replaced. I find it really hard to believe becasue if it was due to a refrigerant leak then it would cause all vents to blow warm air. I also had the compressor replaced and systems recharged a couple of months ago. Warraty covered it. I am so happy that I bought extended warrranty on this Van.

Anyway, I will continue to research on this and if I find something, I would be happy to let you guys know. I hope you two will do the same for me.

Thanks
  • nstg8rnstg8r Member Posts: 18
    Have a 99 Chevy Venture and I think I'm having the same signal problem. When I signal left the rear left brake lights light up also, but when I signal right the signal light only comes on. Sometimes the light flickers fast also. I replaced the bulbs in the rear already but I can't seem to find the problem. Could it be the front signals that u guys are talking about? The front signals seem to be fine and they do blink, the thing is that the rear signal seems to not be getting enough electricity or something.
  • durhamajaxdurhamajax Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Amazing!

I found that there was a clip holding the turn signal housing in place, the clip was jammed. I had to get at it from the wheel well & hammer it out!! Hope this helps other Venture owners!

Thanks again for your responses.
  • tjhardertjharder Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Venture LS with one power slider. I have no remotes but the vehicle is equipped with the keyless option. I aquired a remote (PN 10335582) from another 2005 but have been told it is not the right one. The local GM store gave me part # 10335584. Anyone know if the other one will work, and how do I program it? I found instructions that said to pull the BCM programming fuse. Which one is that???
    Thanks in advance.
  • jw75jw75 Member Posts: 2
    the sensor is in the vent on top of the dash board
  • astrotroubleastrotrouble Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone share further instruction as to how to remove the panels? When the doors are closed, some of the screws holding the panels are not accessible. Again, I cannot open the door because the outside handle no longer works the latch.

Thanks!!!
  • ibricolibricol Member Posts: 2
    I have replace this part twice in my case for the venture 97. Remove blower first, and then his control board back to it. Unscrew few turns away the 2 bolts on back and remove the one on front.
    See post #220 :
    Your problem with your blower is more than likely the control board for the blower. I have a 98 venture with the same problem and replaced the board which is mounted on the passenger side way up toward the floorboard. The original board had small "resistors" mounted on it that burned up. The replacement board was made much heavier. I expect that this common failure caused G.M. to make a better board to do the job. I paid roughly $30.00 for the board at the dealer.
  • thecourier1thecourier1 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought this 2000 Venture used and has already cost us $600.00 for 2 new 02 sensors. Check engine light keeps coming on - mechanics think it is a wiring to the sensors as sensors are good. Going uphill - gas cuts out - makes it difficult to pass anyone or pull out of somewhere in a hurry. This appears to be a intermittant problem. Also the transmission is giving what feels like a kick in the butt. This too is a intermittant problem. Van is currently in the garage - mechanic has a list of at least 6 bad codes - doesn't really know where to go from here. What he has checked has turned out ok. Has anyone else had similar problems?
  • kiwi3kiwi3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with a chronic rattling or knocking noise under or in that vicinity of the passenger door (Behind the driver) of my 2000 Venture Van, whenever I drive over a bump, driveway, well, you get the idea.
    Is this a common issue? Is it an issue I can resolve myself or should I take it to the dealer?? Any advice would be great...thanks
  • jhj57jhj57 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Astro has around 108K miles on it. Right before we took a long trip I had to have the AC compressor replaced and I also had them flush the injectors. on the trip the Van performed normally. Once we got to our destination it would occasionally die right after you started out to go somewhere. You shut off the key and then started it back up and would be fine for the rest of the day. This happened a couple of times while we were there. On the way back we came straight through a little over 1000 miles and it ran ok. Once we got home and started making short runs around town it started the dying things again but it always starts back up. My Mechanic has it in the shop and it has not thrown any codes even when it has done it for him. He did say the computer is advancing the time 12 degrees for some reason but they can't find it. Anyone else had this problem.
    Thanks
  • scwwooscwwoo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Astro van doing the exact same thing. I have had this problem before and they always say it is a vacuum hose or line that is loose. I do not know were to look for the loose hose.
  • blackshoeblackshoe Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Venture (Ext) is doing somthing very similar. First it was rear turn signals not working properly - one side would work, the other would be very dim and cause both sides to work. Traded out tail lights assemblies and problem DID NOT follow. Then it went away - PFM?
    Tonight (wife said started a week ago), hazard light indicator in dash group lights up steady when brakes applied. Noticed that there were NO rear lights at all with the exception of the third (overhead) brake light. No tail lights, no turn signals, no brake lights - no nada. Looked through manual, no help. Got home, pulled into garage, and WALA - everything works normally - again PFM!!
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Doug.
  • ibricolibricol Member Posts: 2
    Purchased the Blower Motor Resistor at the dealer
    Cost Cad $59.99
    Part GM# 89018643
    or buy this one at rockauto.com
    AC Delco # 1580571 $24.79 U.S.
    I have paid $36.90 Cad
  • dmckinney1dmckinney1 Member Posts: 1
    This has happened three times over about three years with two Chevy Venture vans my parents own(ed), the latest time being this past week. Their 2005 Venture was parked along their front curb. It was about 90 degrees and sunny. The vehicle had been driven on a short trip about an hour prior. My daughter was playing basketball on their driveway when her ball went bouncing away toward the street. By the time it reached my parents' van, it was going at a slow roll and gently hit the right rear tire. I stress the word gently. When contact was made, the right rear window panel inexplicably shattered. On the two previous occasions, it was the rear hatch glass that burst without provocation while the vehicle was parked. Fed up with this problem, I recently called GM's customer service line to explain the latest shattered glass episode, and they thought I was nuts. They said they'd never encountered anything like this and gave me the runaround, ultimately steering me to filing an insurance claim. That really rubs me the wrong way because the van they now have is less than a year old with bumper-to-bumper coverage, plus my parents purchased an extended warranty. But surprise, surprise, none of those protection plans covers unexplained window shattering. I guess they'll be buying a Honda or Toyota minivan from here on out. Has anyone else experienced this problem at all?
  • rman666rman666 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2000 Venture had been working fine until about a week ago.

Then the right front window wouldn't go down and the front right blinker was blinking fast.

Next (this morning) it wouldn't start (seemed like a really dead battery). We jumped it and it started. But, when we turned it off (even after driving around the block a few times), it wouldn't start ... dead as a doornail. I replaced the bulb, still dead as a doornail. I inspected the battery and the positive post was corroded. I touched it and it literally broke apart with the post still in the battery!

So, I pulled everything apart and took out the battery. I tried to get the post out, but that caused the battery to start leaking acid.

Went to Sears, got a new top-of-the-line battery.

Put everything back together ... all we get is "service engine soon". All else is dead. No lights, no radio, no AC, nothing.

I checked all the fuses, one at a time with a multimeter ... they all seem good.

Any ideas? Is there an electrical system reset somewhere to get the computer back online, etc.?

Help please ... we need this van!

-- Clint
  • whenpigsflywhenpigsfly Member Posts: 2
    Help.... we just had the catalytic converter replaced on our 98 Venture. Now water is accumulating underneath the driver's side carpet and is saturating it as well as the wiring. I lifted up the carpet and dried it out only to have it fill up again. Any help as to whether this could be related to the replacememnt of the converter (is the timing simply a coincidence?) or if it could be related to the A/C somehow.... Dealer where we had converter replaced stated that the catalytic converter couldn't have anything to do with the water issue since it is an exhaust item and, of course, wants to see the vehicle again.

Can I possibly fix this myself?

I hope so... please anyone with any ideas... Thank you.
  • whenpigsflywhenpigsfly Member Posts: 2
    Check your power steering fluid... I bet it's low... I filled mine up and the same noise went away.

Hope this helps.
  • frogboxerfrogboxer Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same problem whit my rear A/C that also blows hot air. did you find out what is was?
  • texaseantexasean Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Venture. The switch that changes where the airflow goes is not working. When the air is on it blows mostly at your feet and a little on the upper vents. When you turn the switch in any direction nothing happens.
  • rnmomandiernmomandie Member Posts: 1
    Well, I must say I am not really impressed with this van! I LOVED it initially. Then I began having the headlights/interior lights...daytime running lights actually...blink off an on at different times. Once I get going for awhile this goes away. Took it in for service and by the time I got there it had stopped and the guy looked at me like I was nuts and said since it wasn't doing it then they couldn't fix it or tell me what it was...

Then this week, it started making this noise, like a whining when I went over 35 mph. Then, my automatic rolled backwards a bit in drive on a hill...hit me then it must be the transmission...Had hubby get in and try it...he said it has no 3rd or 4th gear anymore. Called for service...still under warranty, so we'll see. Anyone else had any similar problems?

A
  • pgillispgillis Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, new here. The power windows on both pass. and driver side go down no problem.But when I try to get them to go up the go half way an stop for about 10 minutes. If I try later they will usually go up. It happens with both pass. and driver switches.
  • eyoreeyore Member Posts: 1
    To get tothe board that controls the blower do you have to take out the blower completely?& does anyone have any knowledge about the rear heater.the fan works but i get no heat.
  • astro3astro3 Member Posts: 1
    Scott,
    I have a 95 Astro that behaves similarly. Sometimes, when the engine is hot, it won't restart after turning off ignition (eg come out of variety store - no re-start). However, 1-2 hours later it starts and runs fine... Very frustrating... Only happens occasionally - about once a week. How did you make out? Did you determine what was causing your problem? Was it the fuel pump as someone suggested?
    Thanks,
    Trevor
  • astro5astro5 Member Posts: 1
    Need help! I had my van's rotor, cap and harness replaced three times and the GM dealer service center said it was corroded. They did not know what cause it to be. IDoes anyone has some help or had a similar problem?

Thanks.
  • mawiromawiro Member Posts: 1
    Our 2000 Venture has 59,000 miles. Recently, when the gas tank gets down to a quarter tank or so, the gauge starts wigging out. It'll go up to full, then drop down to half, then up again. It's all over the place. And now, after a recent trans flush, the automatic transmission "clunks" as it shifts through the gears. It's a palpable clunk that everyone in the car can feel. This is an intermittent problem. Anyone else have either or both of these problems? I really would hate to have to put in a new transmission on this vehicle!
  • whayeswhayes Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 astro with 113000 on it . it started with the red coolant problems. after i cleaned it out heating was a little better. when it was running hot. when taking off it had no power ,we took it to the dealer the codes were egr, engine misfire, trans slipping.
    had the egr replaced wp replaced tune up all four ox sensors and it still acts the same. the dealer said he didn't know what to do. i seem to think the trans is starting in 3rd or 4th gear . took the motor cover off the motor seems to torque to the right when engine starts idling right the motor drops to the left maybe torque conv lockup also had new injectors also catilic converter . any help?
  • mberkmberk Member Posts: 1
    Before you get into all that, check the vacuum lines on the top of the engine, I had this happen on my 97, I cant remember exactly where it was, but it was melted clear thru, 1/2 of vacc line fixed it, I vaguely remember it being on the top of the engine, somewhere near the base of the throttle body. I didn't even need to take off the engine cover, it was right there! look before you get to deep, no vac sends it to the defrosters, mine started acting up on acceleration, then got worse. good luck
  • clugo1976clugo1976 Member Posts: 2
    Please, what problem did I not have with this van. Funny though that the 2003s still do this. I have a 98 Chevy Venture, which I bought used. I took it back to the dealer 2 months after I bought it because every time the car shifted gears it would jerk very hard. The dealer told me I had no clue because I was a woman and that it was supposed to do this. I threatened him with a lawsuit and he finally agreed to do "exploratory surgery". I got the car back a month later and it was fine for a while. I found myself at the top of a very large hill, took my foot off the brake to go and literally rolled down the entire hill backwards in DRIVE. Then of course it started a very loud clanking noise every time we went up a hill, turns out my transmission was completely shot. Had that rebuilt, and now every light is on in the car, from the ABS, TCS, Brake, Service Engine Soon, etc. My daylight running lights switch on in the sun and off in the dark. My interior lights are half on/half off. My mechanic told me that it was an electrical problem. Now I am told by another mechanic that the converter is either the wrong one or was installed wrong. I can't win with this car.

Oh well, figured I would share my pain.

C
  • clugo1976clugo1976 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry meant to say my actual headlights not the daytime running lights. :)
  • hewitt1hewitt1 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday, I bouhgt some slip over seat covers from sam's club, and when i tried to put them on, i relized that the arms are in the way, if any one knows a way to get these arm rests off, please message me.
    thanks
    hewitt1
  • 2001venture2001venture Member Posts: 1
    As I was driving, my power locks and windows stopped working. The locks started to flip to "unlock" while driving by themself. The next day, they all worked fine. Thought I might need to replace the fuse, and I wondered which fuse # belongs to the power locks? I see the one for the power windows. My battery that was not even 2 years old died just days before this happened, and I wonder if this had drained it. Hoping to keep it from happening to this new more expensive battery. Please help? I have a 2001 venture.
    Thanks!
  • georgeg1georgeg1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Astrovan with 93K miles on it. The service engine light came on and stayed on, and engine misfires. I took it to a local mechanic who diagnosed the problem as needing a tuneup. As a result, the sparkplugs, distributor cap, air filter, gas filter, wire set, gas gap and fuel injector cleaner were replaced at a cost of over $400. Two miles down the road, the service engine light came on again and it started misfiring again. Returned to service station where he cleared the service engine light and left again. Five miles down the road, service engine light comes back on and engine starts misfiring again. Now have appointment to return for a third time. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? Can't trade it in while it is doing all of this......would really like to get to the bottom of this. Thanks.
  • bosco2bosco2 Member Posts: 1
    I found out that the fuel pump is in the gas tank. I need the easiest way to rplace it. Thanks
  • venture98venture98 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. It seems i might have the same problem. One question though, Did your van stall when you were coming to stops and/or rounding corners?
  • makrismakris Member Posts: 5
    Will a transmission from a 1998astro van fit a1993 astro?
    engine on both is 4.3w transmission model e40d to 700r4
    gm has had lots of tranny problems ever since the switched to the 4l60e. i have about 50 safari & astro vans,and trust me, they have a lot of other problems. i've had trannys replaced with only 6000km on them. brace your self,,,it's about a 2000$ rebuild. when whining starts,start whining to your dealer about a torque-inverter. 700r4 rules,,,,bring it back G M.
    check your fuel pressure, see manual for unit pressure. is fuel gauge fluctuating? have coil tested. and believe it or not, check your neutral safety switch.
    were the plugs changed at the same time? if so, check the base of the distributor,where the screws set in, for cracks,distortion or pitting. check grounds on engine,firewall and body.you will find a moisture track somewhere.
    sure is,,, motor & circut board is only 150$. you need a 10 mil socket, t 20 torx screwdriver, and a bit of patitence,,, pop the rod off before you loosen bolts
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Both transmissions are the same size dimensionally and will fit in either van. The problem is the 4L60E is controlled by the computer and the 700R4 has a tv cable that runs to the throttle bracket on the throttle body which controls the shift points. The best way would be to swap the engine, transmisson and computer from the 98 into the 93. I would check also with different publications like hot rod magazine for more information on this swap.
  • jalvaradojalvarado Member Posts: 1
    Its not the tank has to be emptied and taken down .
  • leathleath Member Posts: 1
    I read your problem with interest. I have a 96 Chrysler T&C that had a similar problem and it turned out to be moisture on one of the contacts in the passenger side front door. It took me awhile to isolate where the problem was coming from, but I finally found it. It took the door panel off and cleaned the cable contacts then sealed it with tape and replaced the covering over it that had been split. That solved the problem.
  • dale3bkdale3bk Member Posts: 1
    have a 1991 astro apr ox 250k, has had a trans cooler on it from my purchase when it had 10k. Second trans rebuilt at 100k, noticed this week trans does not up shift as quick to 3rd and 4th or not at all. Reverse works normal, take off and acceleration normal. wondering if electronics possible problem or does anyone know if this 700R4 has a counter weight like the old turbo 350 and 400's. thanks for any feed back
This discussion has been closed.