Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Vans: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• blkno1blkno1 Member Posts: 1
    It should go to a valve where you pvc valve goes to from the valve cover
  • jyoung15jyoung15 Member Posts: 12
    i have a 2000 chevy venture with 97000 miles on it had the fuel pump replaced and now the check engine light comes on and the code says it the vapor recovery canister i can clear the code and it goes away till the next time i put gas in any ideas :confuse:
  • sensei_craigsensei_craig Member Posts: 8
    If the relay is functioning correctly the thermocouple could be reading high. Change the thermocouple.
  • sensei_craigsensei_craig Member Posts: 8
    One other suggestion is to install an adjustable thermocouple from Jegs or SUmmit. Run it directly off the battery and it will turn off regardless of the computer or system relays. You dont need a new battery..yet.
  • michelinmanmichelinman Member Posts: 4
    I have a problem with the rear door. the key goes in the lock but I'm unable to turn the key at all. Lock appears to be ceased. I"I've sprayed wd40 with no success so far. The key fob appears to operate the pwr door lock but still no luck in opening the door. The latch itself seems to be disconnected. There is no inside access to open this door as far as i know. Any suggestions? thanks
    I should add that this vehicle is a 1998 model, if that makes any difference.

AS well, anyone know the best (as in cheapest) place to get a manual(such as a haynes etc).
  • _wtf__wtf_ Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 chevey venture, and passenger window is stuck down. I cant seem to figure out how to get the panelling off. I've removed the only 2 screws i could find, but still cant get the panelling off. One screw was seeable with no effort. The other screw was under the power window and locks panel. Drivers side window works fine, so I belive that means the fuse is fine.

Thanks
    you can try to get a coat hanger down between the glass with a hook on it and pull up on the handle cheapest place for a manual is e-bay i paid 11.00 including shipping
    my 2000 has seperate fuses for each window so i think yours might to :lemon:
  • _wtf__wtf_ Member Posts: 2
    Hmmm. Ill look again, but When I looked at manual the first time it said fuse #3 power windows not power window left or right.

Thank you for your response
  • aneely1aneely1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been searching for this leak for a while, even considered buying new rear hatch door seal. The water was leaking in from a split in the seam in the right rear fender well, directly back of the tire. When it rains and im driving fast the wind was pushing the water into the hole filling up the jack compartement and giving the van a musty smell. I sealed the seam with goop for now and will get som heavy under coating next time I'm in town. :)
    thanks very much. I"ll give that a try when i get a chance and let you know how i made out. By the way, the door (lock) uses the same key as the other doors and ignition I assume?
    quick question did you buy the van new and is this the first time you have tried the key for the rear hatch tes they use the same key :lemon:
    No, i just purchased the van from the original owner and have tried both keys that came with it.(several times, have tried spraying wd40 in the lock etc, all with no luck)
  • scaulenscaulen Member Posts: 1
    Remove fuse #37 from the under the hood fuse box. The key in ignition bell will ring when ever the drivers door is open, but the van will now start with no problems.
  • ourgang07ourgang07 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Astro which has intermittently been running rough and hard starting for quite a while. I have changed the fuel pump, filters, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and have used fuel injection cleaner. All of a sudden the intermittent problem became steady so I was able to check it out. I found that only four of the six cylinders are firing. Cylinders five and six will not fire. I did a compression check and had good results (170 psi across the board). I tried a new set of wires, plugs, cap and rotor, and even changed the coil. I am not sure what to do next. There is only one component in the distributor I am wondering if that is my problem. Any help or info would be much appreciated. Thanks,
    John
  • ourgang07ourgang07 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you found the problem yet. I am having similar problems with my 1999 ASTRO 4.3. I ONLY GET SPART TO 4 OF THE 6 CYLINDERS. I CHANGED THE CAP, ROTOR, PLUGS, WIRES, FILTERS, COIL, fuel pump, AND DID A COMPRESSION CHECK WHICH WAS GOOD. Any info is appreciated
  • leppycharms715leppycharms715 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse:

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could possible investigate (without having to go thru the headaches of dealing with a Chevy dealer service center)why my CD player suddenly stopped working.

I was on my way to work while listening to a favorite CD on the van CD player and all of a sudden the CD player just stopped and kicked the CD that was playing out! After a few tries to place the disc back in the player, the display panel kept saying: "Check CD" It seemed that every time I tried inserting the disc, it made a slight clicking sound like it could not catch onto the disc to play it, and when I pressed the CD release button to remove the disc from the player, it took forever and a day to come out! After 3 -4 times of doing this, I called it quits. The last thing I wanted to have a jammed CD in the player if in fact the "Problem" was potentially minor, or something that I was missing by just a push of a button.

So far, my 2000 Chevy Venture has had minor problems, here and there that my husband & I have dealt with, but I don't have the time, money and energy to deal with the Chevy Service Department trying to Nickle & Dime me on EVERY minor van issue. Can anyone please help me in finding a solution that even I can utilize to see what's wrong with my van's CD player or even how to fix it with the service center costs and hassles?
  • yobsamyobsam Member Posts: 1
    I got a 1997 Chevy Astro van. I call it my rolling fortress ( I could explain but why!?!?!) My fortress has a service engine light that comes and goes. I have attributed to climate, since it goes off when the temp hits 80, well it used to. It just stays on now. That would not be a problem except( especially since I live in Ft Worth and the temp almost never dips below 120, just kidding, but it does stay hot alot here!) I have to get a state inspection and it fails automatically for just that light. In the last year, I have replaced the plugs, wires, rotor cap and rotor, fuel filter and fuel pump. I have a Haynes Repair Manual and it says there are three O2 sensors, two in the exhaust manifold and one in the exhaust pipe, but when I call the parts store to buy one, they always ask if I want the one in the intake or exhaust. so, who wants to first to slap me silly, call me susan and tell me what I got?
  • crager00crager00 Member Posts: 1
    I have been chasing a random misfire (code300)for months. I replaced-- cap,rotor,plugs,wires,fuel filter,fuel pump,mass air flow,cleaned egr,and finally the complete multiport injector system--- STILL HAD A INTERMITTANT MISS the key word is INTERMITTANT if I had followed my gut feeling I would not have replaced some of the above,but I was being advised by several GM mechanics, I figured they were right and I was wrong. Taking my experience in finding this problem I would advise anyone with a INTERMITTANT misfire to pull the doghouse off(1999 Astro) wait till it is dark outside start engine and stick with it until you can get the misfire to happen and look for arcing. What I saw was the bottom of the coil lighting up like a glowing white/light that came and went. BINGO. What I meant by if I had followed my gut feeling is this-- I could not understand how a fuelpump,injector(s),mass air flow,fuel filter could be INTERMITTANT-- it seemed electrical to me from the start but who was I to think I had the right idea and the GM mechanics were off base? Luckly I did all but the injector install myself ($95.00 to install injector unit) Anyone can do the dianostics of looking for arcing in the dark.
  • eaglebird2eaglebird2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my chevy astro conversion van last year, 1997 Tiara Diamond Excutive. I have two problems, first the drivers side electric window gets tired and stops halfway up,if you let it rest 30 seconds it will go up a couple of inches and then needs to rest. second, my air conditioning will not move off the defrost, will not work on rear air conditioning. I would also like to know what is a good repair manual for this van.
    Thanks
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    The Chevrolet Astro thread has many posts about the A/C stuck on defrost. A small diameter vacuum line is usually the culprit. It runs from the passengers side front by the freon recharging tube to the drivers side of the engine where there is a vacuum port. It usually melts on the front of the engine. I think there are also posts about the power windows also. I have the same year van but a gladiator conversion and the rear A/C heater unit only blows warm air year round. I have not been able to get a fix from this forum on that problem. The Haynes manuals are ok I guess there is a Helms manual which has even better info but none will talk about the conversion parts. There is a web site that is call conversion van parts where you can get many of the parts the conversion company put into your van, good luck.
  • srobichaudsrobichaud Member Posts: 5
    I'd like to know if it's normal that the thermostatof my chevy venture 2001 has to be changed

mileage 99000 miles
    It is not unusual, your lucky at 100,000 if you haven't had to replace the starter, alternator, water pump, and transmission. Be glad it is only a $10 thermostat.
    but my temp is still higher than normal could it be the gasket head?
    Is your coolent level low? Are you seeing any white smoke out the tail pipe? Usually a bad head gasket shows these signs. The only gasket problem on these vans is the lower intake gaskets. When they leak it leaves antifreeze on the floor or it goes into the oil. I would do the simple and easy job first and replace the thermostat and do a coolent flush.
  • texas4texas4 Member Posts: 11
    just wanted thanks to all that have posted here and the replies that i got to questions i asked....
    after having some of the problems many of you had with my 2000 chevy venture, never any of the gasket problems yet... however, with the transmisson acting funny, and being quoted $1800 by 2 different transmission shops to fix/rebuild, we decided to move on to a new car...
    i'll check back ever now then to remind myself why i went into debt...
    best of luck to all....former texas venture owner...
  • braveheartbraveheart Member Posts: 2
    help ! I'm having a problem with the fuse blowing on my 97 astro's parking lights. it comtrols the parking lights, dash lights and warning chime for the lights. I've checked all the obvious places for a short and bad filaments in the bulbs with no luck. any help will surely be appreciated on where to start. i have also replaced the headlight switch. also i have the same problem with the control switch for the heat and a/c and i found the vacume line broke but where does it attach to on the engine.
    Sounds good. to add to the problem my a/c stopped working is this all related???
    The other problem is not related to the A/C not working just normal for 100,000 mile GM vehicle to lose A/C.
    Don't know about fuse problem I have not run into that one yet. Vacuum line attaches to the drivers side of motor there is a vacuum port on the intake manifold. That is where the line attaches to the engine. It is about half way back on the motor. Easier to see if you take the inside covers off but that is always a pain to do. You can find it by reaching behind the A/C compressor.
  • arch2arch2 Member Posts: 9
    A couple of weeks ago I received a call from a friend telling me that their astro van would not start. After having the vehicle towed to their home, I came over to check the vehicle and found out that the coil wire(from distributor cap to coil) was arking against the engine, cancelling the spark to the distributor cap.

I replaced the spark plug wires and the engine ran great. :) While checking the engine to locate the problem, I disconnected a couple of items which triggered the "service engine soon" light. Sometimes the vehicle will shut off while my friend is driving but the engine will start up again with no problem.The vehicle also hesitates while driving. :P

I was told that the "service engine soon" light can be cleared using the factory radio. Is there anybody out there that has knowledge of this procedure? :confuse:
    Can't use the radio, to clear the codes disconnect the neg battery cable for a couple of minutes and the computer will reset. The other method is to remove one of the fuses in the fuse box by the battery under the hood but, I don't have my Hanes manuel here at work to tell you which one so just do the cable to be safe.
    I tried using this method before but the light stayed off for only a couple of minutes and came back on. After going around and talking to a couple of guys, both of them told me to use the radio method. They just didn't know the proper procedure. :confuse:
  • carsmart2carsmart2 Member Posts: 1
    HELP!!! What is the best/cheapest way to get out of my 06 Uplander lease? I'm willing to include 2 brand new 50cc mini quads and a brand new Sony Flatscreen. Any ideas?
    Try this website. I believe that it can answer any questions you may have on vehicle leasing. go to www.leaseguide.com. I hope this helps! :D
    Another idea is to sell your mini quads and sony flatscreen to private buyers and then take the cash and put it towards any fees you will probably get from ending your vehicle lease early. :D
    I suggest replacing the front wheel bearings, but making sure you also replace the bearing races as well or you will be wasting your time. The problem sounds like the inner right bearing and race but I would replace all of the front inner and outer bearings and races so that you will not have to deal with this problem again in the future. :D
    Have you solved the problem or do you still need help? Please reply. :)
    I believe the problem is the evaporator in your A/C system. I suggest that you have the evaporator cleaned. One method is to purchase an air purifier, plug it in your home using an extension cord and carry the purifier out to your vehicle. Turn on the purifier at the highest setting and let it operate for a few hours.

You also should have your A/C system running while this is taking place with the settings adjusted so that the air is coming out of the dash vents. I am a distributor of some of the best air purifiers america has to offer. Visit www.ecoquest.com/endurancepurification.

Another method is to disassemble the dash until you can see the evaporator and spray it with a non toxic germ killer. Is sounds like you have bacteria in your evaporator.
  • luvmychevysluvmychevys Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 chevy astro that runs great but the blower for both the heater and the ac will only come out the defrost. The switch will turn the defrost up and down. When I first noticed a problem the blower would be stronger one minute and then I would get very little air the next. Now it only blows out the defrost. Does this sound like a vacuum line? Any help would be appreciated. Mom and kids are hot!
    First I would like to ask, have you had any engine work done to your vehicle lately? If so, there is a possibility that a vacuum line could be connected wrong or disconnected in the engine compartment.

The next question I would like to ask is, do you hear an air sound coming from the dash? Try doing this with the windows up, the radio off, and with the engine running so that you will continue to get enough vacuum supply while checking for this problem.

If you hear an air sound, you may have a vacuum leak. If you do not hear an air sound, then move the selecter that controls the defroster etc... If you hear an air leak after you move the selecter you probably have a bad switch.

If you still do not hear any air leaking after you try all of the above, then I would have your mechanic search for something in the dash that is in control of vacuum routing, some kind of controlling device.

One more thing, ask your mechanic to search for any disconnected vacuum lines under the dash that may have been accidently disconnected while removing the engine cover. I hope this helps! :)
  • tazzyshar51tazzyshar51 Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: I have a 1994 Chevy Lumina Van which at the moment has me baffled. All of a sudden when I went to start it up, the engine light didn't come on and then I couldn't get it to shift. It seems to be stuck in first gear. I have been reviewing the net for answers though still have none. Does anyone know if this is a serious problem and should I go to a garage or a transmission shop? Thanx in advance for any advise I receive. Sharon
  • graciesdad77graciesdad77 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I'm having with my wife's '94 Astro.
    The digital dash, air conditioner, power windows have all gone out at the same time.
    The ABS light is also on and the the transmission won't seem to kick out of low gear.
    I have checked and changed out all of the fuses and that has not helped.
    I'm in the process of going through the engine trouble codes and the working my way through the the Haynes manual looking for what the problem could be, but no luck so far.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • shadeauxshadeaux Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 Venture that I bought just a month or so ago, and I took it on a 400 mile trip over the weekend.
    I noticed that the transmssion seems to be either slipping, or just not acting properly.
    I used Cruese control most of the trip, but even without the cruese on, the problem persisted.

Somewhere between 65 and 75 MPH the transmission would drop down a gear, rev up, then shift back up to the proper gear. The speed would not change, but you could certainly hear the engine rev up. I dont have a Tack to see the RPMs tho =[

Typically, this was just a 1-2 second event, it would drop, kick back up and then be fine, but once it actually dropped down, and reved for a couple extra seconds, then kicked back into gear.

No dummy lights ever came on, and I've checked the trans fluid, it shows full. A friend that works for Autozone (an ex-mechanic) said he could plug in the lil code reader and see if there are any codes, but ive not be able to get to him yet. He said could be some sort of Vaccum Sensor for the trans.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas what I can do to fix this? I was really worried that I wouldnt make it home , but its did get us home.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
  • lampinlarlampinlar Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1998 astro van a few years ago and have had a number of fuel related problems. I have had to replace the fuel pump twice. The van will not start after sitting for a few hours. If you turn the ignition on but do not start the van for about 2 minutes it will start after a few tries.My mechanic was going to check the fuel injection but it seems that the engine appears to be a 1995 engine instead of the correct motor. He sees no sign of any modifications to indicate that the engine was ever replaced. Is it possible that chevy put a 1995 engine in a 1998 van? I have heard that this happened to a number of vans made in 1995 with 1992 engines.
    Please help
    Thanks
    I have to begin by answering a question with a question. Did you purchase your chevy used, and if so, did you purchase it from a dealer or private seller?

If you purchased the vehicle from a private seller, it is possible that the engine could have been replaced before you purchased your astro van.

If you purchased your astro van from the dealer as a used vehicle, it is possible that the previous owner could have replaced the engine before trading in the vehicle. I've never experienced this problem with dealerships, but anything is possible.

Concerning your fuel problem, have your mechanic check the fuel pressure while cranking (without starting) the engine with a fuel pressure gauge. Compare the readings with the specs in a repair manual and see if the pressure readings on your mechanic's fuel gauge are within the fuel pressure requirements in the repair manual.

If the pressure readings are ok then you probably should check your injection system for restrictions. (I.E. dirty injecters, fuel pressure regulator etc).

If the readings are low on your mechanic's fuel pressure gauge, then it is possible that there could be a restriction in the fuel filter, and again, it is also possible that the fuel pressure regulator could be defective. Check for trash in the fuel tank and the fuel lines.

One more thing, have the mechanic check to see if there is too much voltage operating the fuel pump. Some fuel systems have a set voltage from the ECM (brain) which is below battery voltage (12 volts). If your fuel pump is receiving too much voltage, it could be the reason why you are replacing your fuel pumps too quickly. It is also possible that the quality of the part (fuel pump) is poor.

I hope this helps. God bless! :)
  • tazzyshar51tazzyshar51 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 Chevy Lumina Van. All of a sudden I can't get it to shift. It seems to be stuck in first gear. Does anyone know if this is a serious problem and should I go to a garage or a transmission shop? Thanx in advance for any advice I receive. Sharon
  • grizzley69grizzley69 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE 1998 ASTRO THE A/C BLOWS COLD OUT THE DASH BUT NOT THE BACK IT IS FULL OF 134-A ANYBODY GIVE ME ANY HELP OR DIRECTIONS THX :confuse:
    I got the same problem with my 2201 venture the thing I found is to stop playing the thing for a couple of weeks and clean the cd player with one of those cd cleaners if that doesn't work you need to go to the scaryard and get a used one. they go for 75$
This discussion has been closed.