Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I don't know where it would end, but a transmission/engine replacement is more than a wheel bearing. Since this stuff only happens once and a while with new vehicles, why not take the vehicle back, give the owner a "brand" new one, fix the broken vehicle and donate it to a charity, then take a tax deduction or let the dealer use it as a shuttle vehicle for its customers?

I am not picking on the mechanics, some are good and some...well. It's just a different world at the factory than at the dealership.

Remember, we aren't talking about that many Odys, right?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It wasn't an Odyssey, it was a TOYOTA !
  • 2vanman2vanman Member Posts: 3
    I have an 2000 EX (105,300m). At 103k the check engine light came on. I checked the code-P0420(Catalyst system efficiency below Threshold-bank one). I cleared the code and the light stayed off for ~500k then back on. Stayed on for a while and went back off. A month later it came back on. Does this code mean a definate need to replace the catalytic converter?.Also.Why would the Check light go off by itself?
    that it was a Toyota! This is an Ody Problems Board and I was just keeping it in the theme, don't want the host to get upset with me. What I said goes for any auto maker, can't be that many engines/transmission failing right out of the box, right? ;-)
    But as with anything mechanical, things can happen. The replacement will probably last the life of the vehicle.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Funny, CR thought that only Chrysler minivans had transmission problems.

Most people would want an entirely new vehicle if the transmission breaks shortly after purchase. Transmission failure is NOT a minor problem (as CR reminded people over and over again as a reason to not recommend Chrysler).
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    Why purchase a NEW vehicle, if you, as a consumer, have to accept a "REMANUFACTURED" transmission as a "fix" for a major production "glitch" in the automatic transmission? If that is the case, purchase a 2 or 3 year old vehicle, put an extended Honda warranty on the entire vehicle, and take your chances. If the trans fails, you will get the same re-manufactured unit,(under warranty), that you would have gotten with the new vehicle! If Honda can correct the transmission problem with a re-manufactured unit, why can't they correct the same problem in the NEW unit while it is in production, prior to installing it in the vehicle? If a component part has a defect, do you, as a manufacturer, still keep it in production? Do you, as a manufacturer, have such little regard for the customer base, that you will inconvenience the customer in this fashion?
    A used Odyssey will cost about the same as a new one since the Odyssey resale value is much better than any other minivan.

If a new Odyssey has a bad transmission, the owner should be given another NEW Odyssey. Keep the Honda reputation untarnished. Don't let "one bad apple spoil all the good ones".

Sell the Odyssey with the remanufactured transmission as a "used vehicle" where expectations are not as high.
    If it were my new Odyssey, I would be just fine with a remanufactured transmission. People can demand a new car all they want to but it's unlikely they would get one.

Now, if the second transmission were to fail, that would be a different story.

But...that's me.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    That kind of statement shows a total lack of understanding of automobiles AND people.The entire world would want a new van after the transmission fails after 10 days. But,you would be fine with a remanufacured transmission? LOL
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    "First;--- This problem is not an isolated issue. It has been going on for a LONG time and there is a LONG history dealing with the V6 Honda Automatic transmission."

And yet it doesn't seem to have affected the Honda Ody reliability reports. Don't get me wrong ... people who have new vans with a bad tranny should be upset, and if mine goes bad before 100K, I will be. But if this is such a widespread problem -- for Honda or Toyota or whomever -- it WILL show up in reliability and quality reports. It doesn't. Except with American cars such as Chrysler, because at least at one time it WAS a widespread problem. Whether it still is, I don't know.
  • photogeekphotogeek Member Posts: 10
    Wow, what a variety of postings for the failed tranny! The transmissions were replaced on the Honda as well as the Toyota. Why do I want to return my Sienna? BECAUSE I DON'T TRUST IT! I'm sitting on a time bomb. It still runs rough and gets horrible gas mileage and I don't want to take the chance with a newborn and an elderly relative for it to die on the side of the road again in zero degree weather. Perhaps I sound emotional, but if someone shells out 30K for a car, it should run perfectly for at least 5 years, don't ya think?
    Jipster...you don't know me or know about my background.

I have been in the automotive industry all of my life. I once managed a 45 man shop. I know how things work and I know how people think and act.

Most people would be unhappy and for good reason. They would want their van fixed. Very few people would demand a new car.

Let's just leave it at that...O.K ?
  • roadbikerroadbiker Member Posts: 1
    Wow, I finally found someone with the same problem that I am experiencing!!! I have a 2004 Odyssey that has been a real charm the last 3500 miles. I was getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 24.5 MPG on the highway over the summer and then the hesitation and jerking started. I am glad to see that you were able to get someone off of dead center.

They have pretty much given me the impression that "Unless it is broken, it aint gettin' fixed . . ." attitude. I have been to the dealer four times now and they pretty much have me and my wife convinced that I am crazy. For someone who drives around 30-40K a year I think I know how a car drives and feel that I am pretty in tune with how they should run. The car has been very jerky and my mileage on one tank recently was 14.7 MPG, another was 16.7 MPG with almost all of my driving being done at 50 MPH. This is were I have experienced a vacilating tachometer and jerking that would take place.

Thanks for the post, if this doesn't work it is off to see the Illinois Lemon Law attorneys!
  • photogeekphotogeek Member Posts: 10
    You buy an expensive car based on RELIABILTY! Not to keep running bak to the dealer to have it fixed.
    Denver,

It's not a widespread problem. The actual problems are very few on number. But, it's a Honda and people expect perfection. When a Honda or Toyota stumble it's a big deal.

And, I hope it stays that way. Itll keep them on their toes.
    How about this solution to the transmission problem.----- Since "Honda" does not see anything wrong with installing a re-manufactured transmission in a new vehicle, let the dealer perform that installation, then go to a magnetic sign shop, and have three small signs made up for the side and rear of the vehicle. It might say something like; ---"This new Honda has a re-manufactured transmission".----- Place the rear sign near the license plate. Usually, many dealers have a plate frame with their name as advertising. ------ Since Honda is "ok" with this "fix", give them credit, by advertising the solution to the issue. After all, it is the "truth!
    Photogeek...

I agree with you. A new car should never have a problem. In your case it sounds like your problems areen't limited to the transmission.

But, things happen even to the best of cars like your Toyota.

You sound like you are totally tainted towards your car at this point and that's unfortunate.

I would give them a chance to fix it to your satisfaction and try to relax a bit. I'm sure it'll be fine.
    Well, gregory, what do you think a car manufacturer SHOULD do in the case of a failed transmission?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    It is essentially a new transmission but they can't call it that because they reuse the housing which is a non wearing part. All the internal parts are new and IIRC all the remanufacturing is done at the factory.
    And often, updates are done when they do the remanufacturing that address areas that may have needed improvement that will prevent problems in the future.
    Here is what I think. 1.) This issue should not be occuring with this component. 2) The situation has been in existance since 1999. (Do a search on the "net" and you will see the issues). Honda has had plenty of time to deal with the problem, and put the solution into the production line of new transmissions. Simply, Honda should install transmissions that do not have this problem. A transmission that is serviced properly should last at least 100,000 miles. I consider that to be reasonable. I have the fluid changed in our Honda vehicles every 20,000 miles. After 100,000 miles anything can occur to any vehicle, but the failure rate of the V6 unit is not normal, and it is not a small glitch. In addition, there is a "safety issue" with this unit, because some owners are complaining about a sudden "down shift" to second gear!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    "Jipster...you don't know me or know about my background"

Sure I do Isell.We've traded e-mail corresponsdence on 4 seperate occasions.You told me about managing an automotive shop when you were 24...though I believe you had written it was a 24 man shop, not a 45 man shop.Plus, you mentioned about that secret club you're in that you won't let me join.This was only about 6 days ago dude.

I disagree though. Most people would demand a new car. I think everyone on this board has stated as such.But, you are entitled to you opinion.Good day.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...we're agreeing to disagree. You can continue your conversation via email. It's time to get back to Ody P&S. Does anyone have some advice for 2vanman?

2vanman, "Honda Odyssey Owners: Problems & Solutions" #4046, 3 Feb 2005 9:28 pm
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Isell,

You bring up an important point!

If a Honda or Toyota fails there is disappointment because of its higher expectations for bullet-proof reliability.

When any other brand fails, it becomes more acceptable/tolerable because of the expectation of lower reliability. If it works reliably, it is considered a bonus.
    Replace the vehicle if it occurs within the first month or 1000 miles. Early failure of any major component indicates the entire vehicle is a lemon.

Replace the transmission and sell the problem vehicle as a USED vehicle and increase the length of the warranty.
    One component fails so the entire vehicle is bad?

What if the alternator went bad? Same thing?
  • scottybscottyb Member Posts: 83
    "This rattling noise from the Passenger side sliding door kills." (post 3896)

hkatar, did your situation get resolved? how? I've got the same problem (going back to dealer for 2d time), and a friend has been in 3 times for it.

thanks.
    want a new vehicle replaced if the transmission/engine failed, these are major parts! Nothing like a dealership ripping your 30k new vehicle apart and not remembering to tighten/replace all of the parts. The factory assembles vehicles day in/day out, they are set up for this procedure. The dealer would not be able to reproduce the same quality of assembly at their dealership.

If you needed open heart surgery, would you go to a hospital that does this type of procedure or an out patient clinic?

I vote for a new vehicle when trans/engine fails!
  • tmk3tmk3 Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a 2005 EX. I can't find a coin holder? The sales person had no idea. Also, I was told the all-season mats only over the fist and second rows (nothing for 3rd row). Both of these seem very strange for a 'family' van. Can anybody validate these? Thank you.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Correct on both counts.

I've seen couple aftermarket coin solutions that people use in the new Ody to correct for this problem: one is a round holder that fits into a cup holder; the other is square holder with several rows of coins. Both have spring-loaded vertical compartments for different coin denomination.

The one that I got at auto parts store is a rectangular holder with two rows of coin compartments and with flat bottom. I simply have it placed on the rubberized tray between front seats. Because it has a flat bottom and because the tray is rubberized, the thing stays put like it's glued down. I highly recommend it!
    I wrote "Early failure of any major component indicates the entire vehicle is a lemon" .

I consider the transmission, engine, air conditioning system, brake system to be "major components" but do not consider an alternator to be a major component.

I would say the same thing if a DC, MPV, or other new minivan had a bad transmission in the first 30 days or 1000 miles. Replace the new minivan, fix the bad transmission, and sell the vehicle as a used vehicle with a longer warranty.

Tell the buyer upfront that the minivan had a defective transmission. If a person wants to buy an almost new minivan with a rebuilt transmission, he at least knows about it before paying over $25,000.
    Actually, by defination, a car becomes a "lemon" under the lemon law when a dealer is unable to fix a problem after multiple attempts.

When a car gets bought back by the manufacturer as a lemon law car, it does get re-sold as a used car disclosing the status.

Replacing a transmission DOES NOT indicate the entire car is a lemon...sorry.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    The transmission on our '99 Odyssey failed at 40,000 miles and Honda replaced it without charge although the warranty had expired. I believe the unit they installed was remanufactured.

The second transmission failed 30,000 miles later. By then Honda had extended the transmission warranty to 100,000 miles. Having little confidence that a third transmission would last beyond 30,000 miles (taking us to the end of the warranty period), we traded the vehicle...for a Pilot. I figure Honda stood behind the product which is more than I can say for other manufacturers.

Recently a Honda sales rep told me that the problem with the 4 speed tranmssions in the second generation Odyssey was simply that the vehicle was heavier than anything they had made before and the transmission wasn't beefy enough. Whether this was his opinion or "fact," I don't know.
    Reading the above discussion leads me to believe that Honda and Toyota may have become victims of their own success and some customers now expect perfection.

There is a failure rate in any manufacturing process. It can minimized but not eliminated entirely.

And it is unfortunate when it happens - especially early - with a major component such as a transmission. However, I would not expect a replacement vehicle in such circumstances.
    You are correct in your reasoning!
    How about this example. I agree to purchase a 2005 Honda and before I sign the required paper work and hand over money, I request a test drive of the new vehicle. On that test drive, I discover that the new Honda has a bad transmission. QUESTION: --- Am I obliged to purchase this vehicle, or can I request another vehicle out of stock?
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    "I agree to purchase a 2005 Honda and before I sign the required paper work and hand over money, I request a test drive of the new vehicle. On that test drive, I discover that the new Honda has a bad transmission. QUESTION: --- Am I obliged to purchase this vehicle, or can I request another vehicle out of stock?"

I don't know what you mean by "agree," but if you are sure the test driven vehicle has a bad transmission, you would be nuts to buy it. You didn't sign any paperwork, so you don't have to. Do I win anything?
    Thanks for the information and clarification of a "lemon".

I would not expect a new replacement vehicle for a new one I purchased UNLESS it had to have a major component replaced within the first 30 days or 1000 miles.

However, I would NOT be a satisfied customer if the transmission had to be replaced in that short period of time and the manufacturer or dealer did not give me another new vehicle to replace the one with the defective transmission.
    If I can refuse to accept a vehicle prior to completing the deal, I should be able to get a refund or a vehicle exchange if the vehicle suffers a major component malfunction within the first 1,000 miles of use. In addition, only NEW replacement parts should be used to repair a vehicle under the manufacturer's original warranty, not re-manufactured parts. Honda is destroying their image in the marketplace with this policy. After reading these postings about V6 Hondas, who would purchase one of these vehicles?
    You are, of course, entitled to your opinion as when you "should" get a new vehicle due to major component failure.

However, no manufacturer has such a policy nor is there any legal precedent to support your proposition for their very good reason that if the problem is fixed then there is no problem (and there has been no loss of value). If the problem cannot be fixed then the lemon law applies.

Also, there is a vast difference between pre-sale discovery of a problem and one that does not manifest itself until after the sale.
    That was my point. Thanks!
    Thanks for the response. I can't imagine why Honda did this but I know complaining won't help. What do use use for your 3rd row to protect the floor since the all-weathers mats aren't available for it, and do you remember the name of the autostore where you purchased your coin holder. It sounds like a winner. Thank you.
    Has anybody hooked up their IPod to the Ody EX, and has anybody installed the XM kit by purchasing via discounter and installing yourself vs going to a dealer?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    my opinion and i wonder if unreasonable, and not specific to Honda:

for a critical component like the transmission, the ABS system, or for a major engine component that will require some time and effort to replace, one might reasonably expect that you're going to get a free loaner vehicle (of equal or better accomodations and safety...say for a van...you're probably hauling kids...your rental should be for something which can safely accomodate your family).

And perhaps a gesture of goodwill is extended to you (that can't hurt): perhaps the first two scheduled services are on the dealership / company for your inconvenience?

then, if there is a significant delay getting the replacement parts, one might reasonably expect you are shown some excalating good will: perhaps with a free extension to your warranty, perhaps specific to the failed sub-system (ie transmission)? i don't know if that's possible...but it would be nice.

when you've got a rep for quality, or your trying to build one, you want to exceed customer expectations, not merely meet, marinally meet, or fail to meet them. and i think, the initial ownership period is critical - customers get kind of nervous about the integrity of the vehicle when there's a failure so early. rightly or wrongly, some people will feel that a system put together in the factory has a the potential to last longer than the equivalent done at the dealership.

one last thing, for a re-manufactured transmission, a customer should be given extensive documentation on what parts were replaced and the source (for example, was the torque convertor replaced), and is it comming from the factory, or a sub-contractor, and if a sub-contractor, which.

question: does a remanufactured transmission installed in say the third year of vehicle ownership within the warranty window for time and mileage, result in another 3 years / mileage of coverage, or the remainder on the original warranty for the rest of the car?
  • bhupeshbhupesh Member Posts: 1
    I cannot unlock my honda odyssey using my keyless entry remote. The only way I can open the van is manually using the key in the door. Once I do that and put the key in the ignition switch, no lights on the dashboard come up. Basically I cannot do anything with the van because looks all the electrical systems in the van have failed.

I initially thought maybe a fuse or two might have blown out, but I cannot figure out which one of them would have blown out. Does any one else have a similar problem.

For a van that is only 3 months old and has only 1000 odd miles on it, this is very disappointing. I did not expect this from a honda.
    When was the last time you used the van? Maybe one of the interior lights just happened to be left on and completely drained the battery. Have kids?

See if you can turn on the headlights or if the horn honks, if not, I would bet it's a dead battery.
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    When you try the lights, see if they were already on. If the battery is dead, check to see what is already on when you hook up the battery. My kids drained the battery three times on my old Astro when they left the overhead map lights on and I didn't notice. (Last time was the night before we left on vacation!)
    A remanufactured transmission in a NEW vehicle translates into "loss of value" for that vehicle. Question: ---Would you purchase a 2005 Honda with 1,000 miles on the clock, that has had a remanufactured transmission installed in the vehicle at the going retail price for the vehicle? If that is "ok", how about a remanufactured engine at 1,000 miles? At what point does a NEW vehicle loose its value with remanufactured parts?
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    I don't use any floor protectors other than the standard factory mats. The mats are there to get dirty. Once they're too dirty that I can't clean them anymore, I'll pay $90 to get a new set.

I bought the coin holder from Advance Auto Parts. There's a lot of them in DC area.
This discussion has been closed.