Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    "If I can refuse to accept a vehicle prior to completing the deal, I should be able to get a refund or a vehicle exchange if the vehicle suffers a major component malfunction within the first 1,000 miles of use."

Hmmmm. That's a leap of logic I cannot make with you. As someone else has posted, any manufacturing process has some defects. If it is one in a million or one in ten, that's a statistical difference that is meaningful to anyone thinking of buying said product. But if it was 1 in, say, 100,000 and you are the one, saying you should get a refund is a big leap. It should be fixed, yes. And if it is fixed multiple times and doesn't work, it is a lemon and laws on the books address that. Besides, what is a "major componant"? Isn't that what is commonly covered under the usually longer drivetrain warranties?
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    for a single incident is rare, but not unheard of. My sister's '02 Sienna smoked an engine at a little over 300 miles (1st week). They gave her a loaner, and held the van until someone from the Kentucky (?) factory came up to supervise the teardown. She wasn't sure of the details, but they told her that some internal passages were blocked - a casting problem, perhaps. At first they wanted to order up a crated engine (fully dressed), but she and B-I-L objected. After some raised voices, the district mgr authorized a replacement vehicle.

I have never quite understood why 'titled' personal property warranty rights are so different from other purchases. If something relatively minor on that brand new $7k plasma TV fails, you will probably get a new one. Yet a major component on an automobile during the 'infant mortality period' (say first week) usually will not. I guess the auto industry has better lobbyist in Congress?

Steve
  • njengineernjengineer Member Posts: 1
    I have had the following problem and am polling to find out how unique it is.

Sometimes pushing the Audio button next to the touch screen will not bring up the audio system on the touch screen. The behavior is something like this - i am listing all details i know about, but i don't know which ones are related to the bug.

o turn on car (warm), radio already in on position

o radio comes on (xm)

o back up, do not hit ok to navi disclosure.

o put car in drive, drive 35 seconds

o push the AUDIO button next to the touch screen.

at this point the car should show the

audio touch screen (channel presets, etc).

instead, the car shows the map! and you have not

even Ok'ed the navi disclosure yet.

o nothing you can push will make the car show the audio system on the touch screen.

o turn off the car and restart, and the problem clears.

I have hit this bug 5 times or so. Has anyone else seen odd or similar behavior? it is possible that my car has a defect that is unique to it, but I suspect the problem is just some intermittent software bug that depends on the exact timing of various events in the car. I have not shown the problem to honda yet. Since i can not reliably reproduce it, I know that they will just test the car and say "works fine." I plan to wait for it to occur and drive the car to honda for evaluation.

There was an interesting article in the NY Times recently on software bugs in cars. They are certainly getting more common and dealerships seem completely illequipped to handle this type of problem. They are accustomed to replacing broken parts to fix problems, not dealing with problems that are inherent to the design but not

acknowledged by the manufacturer.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Rebooting the car is becoming a more and more viable option. Here's a link to the NYT article:

What's Bugging the High-Tech Car?

Steve, Host
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    "Rebooting the car is becoming a more and more viable option. Here's a link to the NYT article:"

Wasn't that an old joke in the 90s, where rebooting a computer was compared to analogous actions in a car? Seemed to take a lot of shots at Windows and Microsoft. It's probably somewhere on the Net. That's probably what you meant. I can be slow.
    It started as part of a joke, usually between Bill Gates and the president of General Motors.

There's a grain of truth to rebooting now; someone reported the other day that the interior lights and gauges in their car were all messed up until they actually got out, and "reset" it by hitting the lock button on the key fob. When they unlocked the car and got back in, everything was working right again.

Steve, Host
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I finally have a contribution! 2002 Ody LX. Maintained by the book and then some. 64K. As McCoy used to say "It's dead, Jim!"

Well, it's actually having a near death experience which means you can make it go enough for around town and such while they order another transmission! Grrrr. For this I spent the extra money they were fetching. My old Windstall's tranny didn't die until 85,000. My next door neighbor is helpfully reminding me his Grand Caravan has 171,000 on it and not a thing wrong. This is his third in a row like that!

While it's not costing anything to replace I have to go to my dad's with the family this weekend. There are 6 of us and the Accord won't cut it. So far I'm getting nowhere getting a loaner from Honda. Families with 4 kids and/or two working parents seem to be lost on them.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Say it isn't so!!!!
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    ..and you had gone in for the recall in june..
    Yeah, Isell. Happened on Saturday that the big "Hello, there's something wrong" message came. The TCS light and the check engine light came on simultaneously and the thing would barely crawl. Shifting into neutral and then back into drive would fix it but only on a temporary basis.

I'd be a much happier camper if at least the dealer would spring for a loaner (well, it would be a rental; they just get you in with Enterprise). There was a problem with a faulty sensor for the tranny back in 03 (the indicator for your gear would blink) and that dealership took excellent care of me. Ended up in a rented Windstall for a day and even got a free oil change out of it.

Will keep you posted.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • mybuymybuy Member Posts: 42
    I've had/ am still having this happen periodically. One way to get around it that seems to work most of the time, is to push one of the audio buttons below (ie, the regular ones/not the NAV screen ones). Then usually the NAV screen will show the audio screen.

I also am having trouble with voice commands - "Find the nearest Italian/Chinese/whatever restaurant" always ends up doing something with one of the defrosters, for example. Is anyone having trouble with their voice commands?

I'm taking it in for its first oil change tomorrow, and will be having the dealer check out the NAV system while its in. I'll report back on how that goes.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Was this the original transmission or a replacement?
    Hey, rorr!

It's the original transmission. When they did that thing where they wanted to inspect them all and put on the little pump to get more lubrication on the second gear it checked out fine and they just added the pump. And then this....

The good news is the service manager came through and I've got a rental on them for 5 days. If it goes longer they will almost certainly extend the rental. The bad news is the rental is a 2005 Ford Exploder. Ah, well. It holds 6 and runs which for a week is the basic requirement.
  • six4bmwownersix4bmwowner Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a Van or an SUV. I currently own a BMW 740 and a 92 Honda Accord. I did my research and saw that Honda Odyssey was the best Van to get. I will be buying a used car. I went to see a Odyssey yesterday: specs : 2000 - 68000-EX-Certified Preowned for 12900 at the Dealer. I am hearing that they have transmission problems. Please give me some feedback on the car. Thanks
    All things considered I still like this thing. I would certainly want to know what kind of warranty the thing carries though. I don't know of any way to detect a transmission failure before it happens and the 60K range is prime territory. Hey, maybe it already has a new one!

I will say that I do not know of a minivan that has no transmission issues. Were I looking for a new van, which I am not, I think I might be only looking at three models - Honda, Toyota and Chrysler. OK, maybe Nissan. If my family were smaller than it is I'd certainly entertain the thought of an MPV.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I think Honda has been standing by their troubled Ody transmissions for up to 100k. You will only have 32k miles for the transmission to fail and get some help from Honda. If it fails after 100K and Honda won't pay for the replacement transmission, you could be looking at a repair bill of 5k-7k as has been quoted on this board.

Remember, like new Odys, used Odys command a premium price. If you get 50k miles and have a transmission failure, the $12,000.00 buying price might shoot up to $19,000.00 if you have to pay for a transmission failure on your own.

Good Luck!
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Interesting. So, the tranny was checked out as 'okay' this summer, they added the little pump to increase the 2nd gear lubrication.....and it still failed.

Hmmm.....

Can anyone tell me which model years have the 100k warantee on the transmission (does it include the current '05? I'm thinking not....) and what, if any, production changes they've made to the 5-sp units over the years?
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    If you purchase this vehicle, get an extended warranty for 100,000 miles on the whole package. Labor and parts are VERY expensive on high tech vehicles. WE have a 2003 Accord and a 2004 Civic both purchased new, and we also placed a 7 year 100,000 warranty on both vehicles. One major repair, and the cost of the warranty comes back to you in service.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    My understanding is that Honda is (thus far) only warrantying the 4 speed automatics used in the '99 through '01 Odysseys up to 100,000 miles.

However, there have been anecdotal stories of "goodwill" Honda repairs of the 5 speeds used in the '02 and newer units.
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    I'm a little concerned about the VCM on Odys. My understanding is that there are some noice cancellation stuff to compensate some noices when 3 cylinders are turned off.

Is this true?

What kind of noices are there? Are there some vibrations also?

Is there an option to turn VCM feature off?

Has anyone figured out yet how to turn on Daylight running lights?

Thanks for input.
    I would not count on "goodwill" with any car company. If customer concern / goodwill was that important, the V6 transmission issue would have been solved. It has existed since 1999.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Steve,

Do us a favor if you would. Press the service guys for an answer as to what actually failed on your unit. Did second gear overheat despite the increased fluid flow and flood the interior with debris, or is it something else that went? This is a key piece of data in determining whether the fix is really a fix, or a band-aid.

As I reported, when mine started to whine, I waited a bit until 2nd was singing. My reasoning was that I didn't want to accept a patch that would delay the eventual failure until the point where it became my problem.

Good to hear the service dept is taking good care of you. My dealership said that the service advisory (this wasn't really a recall, per-se) had instructions to the dealer to provide rental coverage if requested.

To the person asking about these vans - I would still buy another!

Steve
  • scottybscottyb Member Posts: 83
    "The mats are there to get dirty. Once they're too dirty that I can't clean them anymore, I'll pay $90 to get a new set."

dulnev,

I definitely agree with the first sentence. And I originally thought that the all weather mats were overkill, and that Honda's promotional photograph was overly dramatic. I am sure there are, however, circumstances in which the standard mats would achieve that "too dirty" status so quickly that it would be cheaper to pay $111 (cheapesthondaparts.com) or $130 (my local dealer) for longer-lasting, easily cleanable rubber mats.

I installed the all-weather mats this morning, and they are already loaded with mud. Between the heavy snow we have had in Eastern Pa, and the muddy areas that surround the driveway to my newly-built house, it has been impossible to avoid tracking mud, dirt, and snow in the van. (Since the van was delivered on 1/13, I have left in place the dealer's paper mats in front and have put corrugated cardboard in back to tide me over until I decided what to do about the mats. The cardboard and paper was filthy.) And I still have the option of using the original mats when my grass grows in and the snow goes away.

I am also pleased with the cargo mat, which has also been in the van a total of 1 day.

I can't answer tmk's inquiry as to the mats for the 3d row of seats. Honda, please make one more mat! That and the 2d row mat between the captains chairs are the only original mats remaining in my van. (My 3d row seats are down.) I have heard decent things about clear mats that go on top of the original mats (like the carpet protectors under desk chairs, I think). I think one brand is Exact mats.

good luck.
    "nothing you can push will make the car show the audio system on the touch screen"

I had the identical problem for the first time today. Since my engine was off--I was sitting in my garage with the key in the ignition--I turned the key to reboot the nav unit. (I haven't read the manual enough to find out if there is another way to turn the nav off and on.) Before doing so, I changed the station on the radio head unit, but there was no change on the nav screen. I also tried "closing" the nav screen (to reveal the CD changer) and "reopening" it, to no avail.

If this had happened to me 5 times--particularly if it happened while I was driving--I would 1) ask my service manager if he had heard of this problem and if not, ask him to contact Honda, 2) send a fax to Honda customer service, requesting a response from someone knowledgeable with the workings of the nav system, 3) contact Alpine, who I believe designed or manufactured the system, seeking the same guidance (there is an 800 number to Alpine on Honda's website for ordering replacement nav DVDs.), and 4) check the service manual to see if it sheds any light on the problem (although I suspect it does not).

I have also shifted into reverse without the camera image appearing, just the map. On another occasion, shifting to reverse resulted in a prolonged beep that remained when I shifted to drive and drove 2 miles. After parking and restarting the van, the noise did not recur.
    Thanks for link to NYT article -- eye-opening and cautionary. That is the best ad for Honda Care--which I will promptly purchase--and the worst ad for Mercedes.

The fact that I'm now interested in a used BMW convertible did not make the knock against "technology-intensive German luxury brands renowned for engineering" particularly comforting.

I do look forward to ordering a next-generation Odyssey from the Dell catalogue, as the article seems to portend. I guess the Eddie Bauer, Bill Blass, etc. editions are out, and the Dell, IBM, Gateway editions are in. What is the invoice on a 2008 MS-EX-L RES/NAV?

But half seriously, maybe all of the software in the car should be updatable by automatic updates through the satellite link on Nav models.

Thanks for your hard work on the forum.
    I took mine in for the 2d time today; didn't seem to have the problem on the ride home. The invoice states, "lubed passenger door sub seals."

I ask that the others that have posted here with sliding door rattles advise whether their problems have been solved, and what the service departmenets reported doing. I hope not to need that info--though I'm not holding my breath--but others will.

My friend has been in 3 times, including leaving the van for a full day in which 2 techs rode in the car, listening to the rattle. Within 4 hours of picking up the van, the rattle recurred.
    "If you get 50k miles and have a transmission failure, the $12,000.00 buying price might shoot up to $19,000.00 if you have to pay for a transmission failure on your own."

just4fun2's not-unfounded concern may be mitigated if you can find a good extended warranty to kick in after 100k miles (hard to find since most good extended warranties are not available beyond 100k) I might have information on one such warranty; if you email me, I'll look for it.

Better yet, you can get a brand spanking new EX for $24,500 or LX (manual sliding doors instead of power) for $23,100. The "prices paid" forum here on edmunds can guide you. With the Honda extended warranty you can have up to 7 years/100k miles for $1,069. (I think you can pay the warranty off with no interest over a long period.) The value of the '05 van in a few years (whether for resale or if you want to keep driving it) compared to the value of the '00 at that time might itself go a long way towards justifying the extra $10-11k.

If Honda re-offers their 2.9% financing w/no money down for 60 mos, as they did until 1/5/05, the new van becomes even more attractive.
    Thanks, but actually Karen does all the behind the scenes work in the Owner's Clubs; I just read a few of them for fun.

I bet the Honda Care will come with a software update subscription one of these years.

Steve, Host
    Nothing to report on the actual transmission, but I will say that indeed once the regular service manager was in they took care of me as well as one would expect and more - and this is from a dealership whose service friendliness is nowhere near so cooperative on the other makes they sell.

Service made a couple of calls to the district folks who OK's first the whole rental while it is in the shop before they realized I needed something to seat 6 they OK's the bigger rental. So for a few days I'm in an Explorer! THAT is certainly different! I feel like I'm supposed to talk on my cell phone and not look at the road.... (OK, any SUV folk out there - it's a joke!)

Will try to remember to find out where it was the thing failed.

This treatment is SO different than what I experienced when my old Windstall went through its death throes. They treated us like lepers. The dealership (same place as Honda) did their "gee we wish there were something we could do" dance and Ford was downright abusive.
  • shekharshekhar Member Posts: 23
    Hello everyone,

My 00 ODY is going strong at 70K miles. No THUNKS or CLUNKS from transmission. It is driven 95% on almost flat highways. What percent of ODY owners have not experienced any problems even after driving 70-80 k miles? Is it that the transmission problem if there is one, will raise its ugly head before the first 50K miles?

Thanks
  • jqchengjqcheng Member Posts: 1
    I have been dirve the van for over 5 years at 30K miles. Still have no problem with battery.

Worry about if the battery will have problem some times soon. Any one have battery changed ? How many years since the last changing?
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Unless Honda puts a special or different type of battery in, you need to offer thanks right now for your battery making it this long. You might want to do this while driving to a battery replacement shop. Most batteries last about 3 years. Some have 5 -7 year warranties but for the most part that is just to get you to come back and buy the next one from the same place. Cold weather usually kills off a weak battery. So since it is February and you have a 5 year old battery, keep those cables and cell phone handle. IMHO you are living on borrowed time.
    I sold my next door neighbor a new 1996 Accord.

It's still on the original battery!
    My 1980 Accord turned 100K with the original battery still in it. It went another 10K before I replaced it. Only went another 54K on the car after that but not due to anything mechanical. I lived on a barrier island in those days and the years of ocean salt and periodic tidal flooding finally did in those parts that connect the body to the chassis. You kind of want those parts I hear.
    The battery on our 2003 4 cylinder Accord lasted 44,000 miles, and the vehicle is 24 months old. So, in terms of mileage, the battery had over 36,000 miles of use, (which was equivalent to 3 years, using 12,000 miles as the yearly mileage figure). Should it have lasted longer? Yes! I had the dealer check out the Starting & Charging Systems prior to replacing the battery and everything seems to be "ok". I was lucky, in that I caught the weak battery, before getting stuck with a "no start situation"! A battery today, is the heart of the vehicle's electronic system. Most vehicles require a minimum of 9 volts to fire the ignition system, while cranking the engine. Anything below 9 volts the computer will shut down. Sometimes, with a weak battery, if you let the ignition key go very quickly from the "start / cranking position" to the "run position", the engine will catch, because the battery voltage will surge when the cranking stops for a split second.
    on a battery than the miles driven.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    It is hard to say what's worse for the life of the battery. Heat will kill a battery as quick as cold weather. If you drive mostly short trips the starting again and again plus other items like using your headlights, heated seats will shorten the life of a battery in no time. Time is always a threat to your battery, but the load being put the battery without enough time to fully recharge the battery can equal anything else thrown at your battery.

After, say, 4 years, you are on borrowed time.
  • dougd7dougd7 Member Posts: 71
    I use to think that cold was the enemy of a battery but I found out recently heat is the big killer of batteries. The reason you don't find out until its cold is that is when you need the extra cold cranking amps to start the engine.

Now on average my batteries have lasted about 5 years. My uncle had one that lasted 9 years. It was in a old Chevrolet truck that didn't have much in the way of electronic extras - no power windows, no power locks, etc. I don't think it even had a radio..... :(
  • cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    Desert heat is a huge battery killer.

Our '99 Odyssey is on its third battery.

The OEM battery lasted just under three years.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    My SIL just replaced the OEM battary on her '99 Ody at Christmas time, which was 5.5+ years. Not bad for a van that lived outdoors in a cold weather climate, especially with the power doors that quite often run on the battery.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Once, when I managed a large Sears Auto Center we pulled the original Delco battery out of an eleven year old Buick!

This was in costal So. Calif where the temperatures are moderate.

My neighbor and I share a Chevy Pickup that we bought in July of 1996 and have yet to replace the battery. I have no idea how old it was when we bought the truck.

But I agree, after four or five years it's pushing it.
  • azkid2azkid2 Member Posts: 47
    In the HOT and ARID (<10% humidity) Phoenix it is not uncommon for a battery to last less than two years.
    That 80 Accord went 7 years on a battery at the Jersey shore. My 2000 Accord has about 84K on it and still the original battery.

The other thing is this is my third Accord and I have yet to replace a clutch or an alternator. Couldn't name you how many other parts I've never replaced. The 80 made it to 167K, the 85 had about 150K on it when a guy ran a stop sign with me in the intersection.

I think the things I remember as problems were brakes which was really a matter of keeping on top of the pads and exhaust which was due to being in that salt water environment. The current one has really just been maintained and that's it.

The Ody has had a couple of freak of nature things like a window that just crackled into tiny little pieces. Unfortunately it did it on a Friday night when I had to be somewhere with the family on the weekend. That time I did rent. Other than that it's just this current transmission thing and they are taking good care of me in the mean time. I'm willing to give them a mulligan so far.
  • frank17frank17 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me if you know what happen?

recently my 2002 Odyssey EX experience cold start and lost power on the second or third stop sign when I go to work in the morning. It doesn't happen every day, but every the other day. The dealer can't find problem. it obvious has safty concern because car usually keep forwarding and block the sreet. thanks
    After having been in Phoenix in the summer, I have great respect for a battery that could last two years. I know I wouldn't last two DAYS!
  • rph2rph2 Member Posts: 16
    Ok, first of all, please tell me if I'm being petty. Our 1mo old Ody is very nice, except the tailgate seems to need an extra push to get it to fully shut. The dealer insists there is no issue, but the tailgate of other ody's on the lot seem to shut fine with a gentle push.

I know this seems petty, but when you buy Honda's, you do expect a certain quality level, so you notice it when you don't get it. Have other's experienced this? Can anyone off any advice for me?

Rob
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Sounds like you're gonna need to get a little more assertive Rob.Take it up the chain of command until they fix it. Sounds like a simple adjustment. Is the "dealer" the salesperson? If so take your complaint to the service manager,have him observe you closing the other tailgates and then your Ody's.A lot of dealers would like to fool you into thinking "they're all like that"...saves them time and trouble.I know with my MPV, Mazda provides adjustments such as this under warranty for the first year of ownership.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    When I replaced a battery on my '01 Toyota Solara convertible (since traded on an '05 Ody Touring w/nav and res, I was told that in the Vegas valley, you are lucky to get three years from a battery due to the extreme heat of summer.

This battery was about 3 years old at the time and was completely dead.

When I first came to Nevada from Wisconsin in 1999, the original battery in my '96 Chrysler Sebring convertible lasted until 2001 when everything else (a/c, anti-lock brake system, etc) went to hell.

My conclusion is that it's the heat that kills a battery.
    I am in to report that I have the Ody back! I brought it in Tuesday and it was done by Friday. Picked it up this morning. They replaced both transmission and computer and picked up the rental at no cost to me. I grant you I had the extended warranty which includes a couple of days of rental but the cost and length of rental were beyond that but they covered it anyway. It behaves just fine again.

I was unfortunately not successful in finding where exactly the transmission failed. They just reported that it read as a failure and they shipped it back to Honda when they ordered one.

"If so take your complaint to the service manager,have him observe you closing the other tailgates and then your Ody's." Good advice. We'd been having trouble with the rear washer. Finally the service manager had us do exactly that with him beside us. Cleared everything right up. Washer is fine now.
  • rph2rph2 Member Posts: 16
    OK here's the story... Turns out the Ody has pretty good seals all around. When you shut the tail gate and all the windows are shut, you gotta shove it a bit harder because you are trapping a lot of air and it can't escape quickly enough. However, when you open a window or two, it shuts very smoothly. Didn't believe it until I saw it.

That explains why the one in the showroom shuts so easily compared to mine outside (with windows shut)...

Rob
This discussion has been closed.