Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stump The Technicians--Contest Rules Are Here!

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
edited March 2014 in BMW
Okay, this little game is meant to challenge all our Town Hall technicians (amateur and pro) diagnostic skills. Here are the rules, everyone can play:

1. Describe the symptoms of a real problem you solved or had solved, but don't tell us the answer right away--just the symptoms of the "puzzle"

2. Let us come up with answers and the reason why we think we are right.

3. Stick to problems that had definite, solid answers, not "and they fiddled with some wires and it went away". Those aren't very satisfying.

I'll start off in the next response to give you an idea of what I think would work.

best,

Mr. Shiftright
Host

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Okay, 1995 BMW 325, friend is driving along, and notices heat gauge is starting to climb into red.

Friend calls me up, asks me what to do. I tell her to pull over until car cools down, then come over to see me (she is very close). She does this.

I open the hood and notice that the coolant overflow is FULL. Temp gauge is in the red but not all the way. I see NO LEAKS. The electric cooling fan is cycling on and off every 30 seconds, but the temperature will not drop, nor will the fan stay on longer. The engine feels pretty hot to touch but is not steaming nor does it smell overheated. I couldn't check the radiator coolant level for obvious reasons. I did check all fuses and they are fine. Belt driven fan was turning, and fan clutch operating.

QUESTION: What has happened to this car?

ANSWER: The answer, which explains all these symptoms, can be stated in under 10 words, even under 5.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Thermostat stuck closed?
    not bad, but usually a stuck thermostat results in a very fast, very violent overheat. Remember this just about cuts off all water circulation.

So not the right answer, but a good answer nonetheless.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    This board sounds like fun.

Are we allowed to ask questions that will further enhance our understanding of a problem?

My guess about the 1999 325i is that the engine was not actually overheating. Instead, I think that there was a problem with the Temperature Gauge or its sensor.

If I can ask a question: what did the gauge show after a cold start, and after 5 minutes of operation?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The gauge was apparently fine when she started out, perhaps 20 minutes before the distress phone call. The heat gauge is not hard to notice on the BMW, because a red light comes on once the needle reaches red. So apparently when she started her trip the gauge was normal at cold start and steadily climbed until she noticed it near the red. That's when I told her to pullover. When she got to me, the gauge was definitely in the red, and would not drop. It was very steady and hardly moved no matter what, even with the 30 second electric fan bursts.
    If it was not the gauge or its sender, and if the engine is truly running hot, my guess would center around the water pump (or whatever device BMW used/uses to circulate the coolant in the I6). That could include what ever drives the pump (electric, belt, gear, chain) or the impeller itself.

Unfortunately, my days of turning a wrench are mostly over (at least for now), and I am unfamiliar with the specifics of the BMW I6 (even though I drive one myself). So, if the above guess is incorrect, I will have to demur to others more knowledgeable.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The pump was turning and the belt intact, so I did not consider this as a likely candidate (unless somehow the internal impeller had broken or eroded--a possible but far-fetched fault, so I discounted it).

As it turns out it was not the water pump, so my decision to exclude it was a good one. I could not verify pump action because I dared not open the radiator at this time.
    Can we do these one at a time? Would that be okay?

All you have to do is cut and paste your post and save it until we're done with this one. You should also delete your post for now.

thanks,

Shifty
    My post is saved until later. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    A collapsed radiator hose? Rare, but I've seen it.
    Low oil pressure (yeah, yeah, I know, a REAL long shot)?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    How about a defective valve between the Radiator and the coolant overflow tank? It might just be that while there was plenty of coolant in the tank, the radiator itself was cooling lots of air.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    A faulty vacuum valve (don't know the technical term) between the tank and the radiator. The fluid could check in, but it couldn't check out.

That's a fancy way of saying I like shipo's answer. :-)
  • stealth1969stealth1969 Member Posts: 162
    the temperature sensor used to control the fan.
    Yes that's what I thought but then I realized the sensor must be working since the fan does cycle on and off.

But thinking about the sensor did lead me closer to the problem, that's true.

After the car cooled down, I opened the radiator to find--very little water! This would explain why the sensors wouldn't read properly (sensors don't read steam or air very well). But there WAS some water in the radiator.

Soon found a crack in the upper radiator outlet, but the hose was partially obscuring this crack. I guess the water had slowly leaked/steamed out but once pressure was relieved the rest of the water in the radiator just circulated as if it were a non-pressure system.

So mainly I was fooled by thinking that because the coolant tank was full the radiator was full. I should have realized with the crazy sensor behavior that the radiator coolant was very low. This was also why the fan could not bring down the temperature.

OKAY--NOW FOR SHIPO'S QUIZ?
  • lbthedawglbthedawg Member Posts: 48
    Shiftright is probably familiar with the vacuum fill procedure. Since some radiators sit lower than the head, some vehicles are prone to developing air pockets in the cooling system. The easiest way to solve or fill the cooling system is to put it under a vacuum and then fill with coolant. Some cars have steam bleed valves mounted on the top of thermostat housings, cooling systems will not always fill correctly by using gravity. Air pockets can and have caused engine failures.
    My turn to take the plunge.

In 1988, I visited a family member who I saw about once a year back then. He and I were sitting around his back yard drinking a brew when he mentioned that his motor home was having a problem that prevented it from traveling faster than 35MPH, only when the engine was warm. The vehicle in question was one of those motor home vehicles built on a full size Dodge Van chassis with a Dodge 360 CID engine, I cannot remember whether it had a 2 BBL carb or a 4 BBL one.

The exact symptoms were as follows:
    -The engine would start easily from a cold start.
    -After the cold start, the vehicle ran just fine at all speeds for a few minutes until the engine warmed up.
    -Once the engine was warmed up, it would idle with no apparent problem.
    -From a standing start, the engine would run fairly well in first gear, however once second gear had been engaged, the whole vehicle would start bucking and shaking with terminal velocity somewhere in the neighborhood of 35MPH.

He also told me that he had had it back to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the problem, and had even taken it to a friend who was a Chrysler Technician, who was also unable to diagnose the problem. Given that this person had a very large EGO (and I was about 20 years to his junior), I was reluctant to offer my help, however, after the third time he brought the subject up within the span of one hour, I suggested that we take a look.

We opened up the mini-hood over the front of the engine as well as removed the engine cover between the two front seats, started it up, and started evaluating. After a few moments, I became vaguely aware that the engine note seemed to be slightly off, and I said so. He said, “You are used to car engines, this is a truck engine which has slightly different heads and a different cam.” Maybe, I thought to myself, and I started pulling plug wires starting at the #5 cylinder (which in my experience has been the weakest cylinder on the old small block Mopar engines). I pulled several plug wires off and each rewarded me with a proper drop in engine RPM and smoothness. He kept insisting that this was a truck engine and they simply run a little rougher than car engines. So, I gave up and said, “Lets take it for a spin.” Sure enough, after a couple of miles, the engine started bucking severely at virtually any positive throttle setting once in second gear.

What was wrong with this engine?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Okay, so once warm AND under load it starts bucking.

Hmm...I'm not going to answer but I will say this could be tough, because bucking only when warm relates more to fuel issues (i.e., engine running on choke is over rich, compensating for extreme leanness when operating at normal temperature), BUT bucking under load often relates to ignition. I say under load because there is no load in first gear, but most likely there would be in a motor home in second gear.
    I too assumed that the problem was ignition related, hence pulling the plug wires while the engine was at idle. That wasn't it. So, I tried something else, while under way (this is something that I would NEVER have been able to do with a car), I took a grounded cable and traced it along the existing wires, with negative results.

As it turned out, the problem was not ignition related.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    What was the compression?
    A valve problem?
    I've seen alot of motor homes with the Chrysler engines eat the exhaust valves and depending on how advanced it was, it may not show itself until warm.
    Close, VERY close. The next clue should give it away.

After testing the plug wires, I pulled off the air-cleaner (I cannot remember why), and each time the engine bucked, a 2 foot tall column of flame came shooting out of the carb (torching the arm-hair off my arm the first time it happened).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hmmmm.
    Either the intake valve has a problem, a rocker is toast, possibly a valve spring or a long shot in the dark, the air cleaner was clogged?
    Good job Opatience, you smoked it out. ;-)

As it turned out, I never actually pulled all eight plug wires during the initial test when the engine was at idle; I had given up after 7. As soon as I saw the column if fire come up from the carb, I reached down and pulled the #6 wire, and suddenly, the engine seemed to be running perfectly again (albeit on 7 cylinders). When I told the owner that the #6 intake valve was burned, he did not believe me. We blew a compression test and he still did not believe it even though all of the other cylinders were ~80 pounds and #6 was zero. A year later, I was back visiting, and I asked about the engine. He said, "Wait there for a moment." When he returned, he had an intake valve in his hand which was so burned, it looked completely oval!

A little investigation revealed that there had been a batch of motor home chassis (several hundred) complete with drive trains and instrumentation that had been sold to Winnebego (sp?) during the early 1980s, that had sat in a field (in Indiana I think) for a couple of years while the company worked itself through some financial difficulties. As it turned out, Winnebego sold many of those chassis to other builders of motor homes, many of which developed some form of engine problem (mostly valve problems) within a year or two of being sold to the final buyers. In the case of this one, if I remember correctly, the engine and chassis of this unit had been built in either 1983 or 1984, but was delivered as a 1986 vintage motor home. Two years and 26,000 miles later, and the result was the burned intake valve, and of course, by then, long out of warranty as far as Chrysler was concerned.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bobistheoilguybobistheoilguy Member Posts: 270
    74,75 sunbird. another version of the imfamous chevy vega with the aluminum block.

here's the problem.. guy is driving it down the hwy, all of a sudden, engine dies like it ran out of gas, pull's over, hits the key, starts right back up.. go down the road again, no power loss and runs normal but, does it again in less than 1/4 mile. pull the fuel line, electric fuel pump in tank is pumping plenty of volume.

any ideas?

bob in jville.
    Well,
    Do the guages all drop off? Do lights stay on when this happens?
    Is the fuel pump working when the engine dies?
    What is the voltage when this happens? Are all the connections, ground and power good?
    Just a start.
    Ha ha. Well, I tried.
    gauges are normal, when engine dies, oil light comes on, battery is good so is charging system. all connections and ground are good and unit will restart and run with no problems as soon as you pull over. but again, 1/4mile drive and engine dies like it runs out of fuel. connection on fuel pump is good and check vcc,(+voltage) on fuel pump is correct. read ohms across the fuel pump leads and it too is correct, so fuel pump is eliminated.
  • stealth1969stealth1969 Member Posts: 162
    What aboout the coil? It sounds like it might be ignition related.
    but, coil is good and all ignition components. when it dies, it acts like it was running out of gas. usually ignition problem due to over heating of the component would cause backfire or take a few moments to cool down before restarting. in this case, soon as you stopped, you could restart. fact is, if you were to crank it with in just a few seconds of when it dies, it would restart, but would take a second or two of turning over, like the fuel was having to be pumped back up to the carb.
  • wh23fdctwh23fdct Member Posts: 18
    Im a novice when it comes to engine repair (though I try real hard) sounds like a partialy clogged fuel filter or blockage before the filter slowing the fuel flow to the carb thus why it will run a little at highway speed then die out. cranking over will build enough pressure to supply fuel at low idle but at Hwy speed starve the engine?
    Good idea, I like it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Didn't the later aluminum Vega engines have some kind of device that automatically shut off the engine if the oil pressure dropped? I swear I heard that somewhere, possibly from someone here on Town Hall. If there are no electrical problems or fuel delivery problems, I can't think of anything else that would cause this.

-Andrew L
    I would also tend to some kind of fuel starvation, that is, there's enough fuel delivery to run the car at idle but not enough to keep it going at highway speeds.
    a_l_hubcaps... ! that is exactly what the problem was. on the driver's side on the side of the block is an oil pressure switch that when the pressure dropped it turned off the vcc (voltage) to the fuel pump. when you went to restart, the fuel pump would supply enough fuel to refill the fuel lines and carb and allowing it to start. once the key was returned to the run position, the pressure switch would disable the vcc to the pump and car would run on what was available in the lines to the carb. ALL THIS BECAUSE THE OIL WAS LOW.
    good job.

bob in jville.
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    Just ran across this topic today. Sounds like fun, although I'm not much more than an ex-back yard mechanic and have never rebuilt anything more recent or complex than a 1980 MG.

If I may .....

This happened to me a couple of years ago in a 1992 300E. Driving down the road, suddenly the sun roof opens by itself. Later it would begin to open and sometimes close without any clues from me, the driver. After a while of this sporatic demon, the driver's side window did the same. So now I have the sun roof and the window under some demon's control.

I'd go into the shop and of course nothing would happen. I would tell them my car was possessed and they would look like I was some crazed maniac.
    Have your demons been exorcised yet?
    it had to be an electrical problem.. probably a common point at the source of votage and or ground connection. not knowing the electrical diagram circuit, it would be hard to isolate this problem as to exactly where your problem would lie.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    This group here on TH is on the ball, puts Click & Clack's puzzler http://cartalk.cars.com/Radio/Puzzler/ to shame ...
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It's an european car isn't it?
    Car-talk. LOL!
    this one very easy quick question.

which oil is thicker, a 50w motor oil or 90w gear lube?
    If I remember correctly, 90W gear lub = ~45W motor oil, so, the 50W motor oil is thicker.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    but not correct
    It is my understanding that all gear lube is rated at its SAE weight, so 90W gear lube has an SAE weight of 90W. However motor oil can be referred to on one of two ways, as an example, Aeroshell 100W has an SAE weight of 50W. When you posted your question, did you list the SAE weight or the label weight?

Now that I think about it, I guess it does not matter, because if you listed the "Label Weight", then its equivilant SAE weight would be 25W, whereas if you listed the SAE weight, it would be 50W, either way, the gear lube is thicker.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    A man decides, that with winter coming on, he needs to change the oil in his truck, and put in some lighter weight oil. He goes to a quick lube place and changes oil from @0W-50 to 5W-30.

Everything is fine for about a week, and the weather does in fact turn markedly colder, quite severe actually. But his truck starts fine and runs well as long as he warms it up for a while. He does notice a drop in gas mileage though, which he attributes to longer warm up, etc.

One day, about a week after the oil change, he notices that a) his valve cover gasket and breather cap seem to be leaking a bit, and that his engine's dip stick shows way overfull. He goes back to the quick lube place and says that there is too much oil in the crankcase and that the engine is trying to blow it out. They check it and agree. They say they "read the chart wrong" and put in 7 quarts instead of 5. So they drain out enough oil to get the proper reading.

So the oil now reads level and he's on his way again. About a week after that, while cruising at freeway speeds up a long hill, his oil light goes on. He has the car towed to his garage and they tell him he has an audible lower bearing knock and that the engine should be torn down.

What went wrong here?
    as the question stood, 50w motor oil (sae) and 90wt gear lube (sae), the 90wt is not thicker than the 50w motor oil. the cSt for both are measured the same so, the 50w is the same as a 90wt.

here a chart i have on my site that might explain help to clarify it. might take a minute to download.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

Ok, it seems that there are two (at least) scales for lubricant weight, one for engine oil and the other for gear lube. Furthermore, the top of the scale for 50W motor oil and 90W gear lube have roughly the same viscosity.

After digging around, I have been unable to find any single manufacturer of engine oils and gear lubes that produces a 90W gear lube that has a viscosity that is as high as their 50W engine oil. That said, all of the lubricants that I looked at, fell within the range shown on your chart.

Good question.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    This guy does not seem to know which oil is the heavier. Oil with a rating of 0W-50 is a 0 weight oil with enough additives to make it flow roughly like a 50 weight oil when hot, the 5W-30 is a thicker 5 weight oil that has fewer additives, so that it's hot viscosity is roughly that of a 30 weight oil. Essentially, he put in a heavier oil for winter.

The problem is, I cannot understand how said heavier 5W oil (which is still pretty light) could cause the problems you describe, maybe I am not on the right track. Anyone?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 79377937 Member Posts: 390
    Try this one - German Chev Chevair, 1.8L ohv motor. Cruising on the highway when suddenly engine bucks and starts to sound and run like a 1 cylinder traction engine. Huffing and puffing the car is able to make it home which is nearby.

Inspection shows that when the car is "idling" exhaust fumes are blowing out of the oil filler pipe - this looks serious!

However, removing 1 nut and replacing 1 cheap part fixes the problem - total time taken ± 30 minutes. What was that part?
    The Flux Capacitor!

No?
This discussion has been closed.